PDA

View Full Version : Running Back for the future

smootbythefoot
10-22-2005, 06:22 AM
So i see that the vikings have a shit load of problems.
what do you guys think about us signing a premier back(i.e. shaun alexander, edge james) or drafting one next year?

VikingNation
10-22-2005, 06:29 AM
I love the idea...I have been and probably will remain a Bennett fan (where ever he goes). But with the latest round of 'scandals' I don't see them retaining Bennett after his contract runs out. Also, I see O. Smith being givin' his walking papers. Moore I still think is the future 'Moe', but way to fragile for an everydown back.
After this year, win or lose, I think Wilf will have to clean house in order to keep the wheels greased on a new stadium.

VikingNation
10-22-2005, 06:32 AM
And more to the point...I would love to make a strong run for Alexander.

UTVikfan
10-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Edge and Alexander would cost a good bit of cash, and neither are spring chickens. How could the be the back for "the future"?

smootbythefoot
10-22-2005, 06:41 AM
by future i mean like the next 3 years

akvikefan89
10-22-2005, 06:46 AM
*Cough* Reggie *cough* Bush

or Maroney?

Vikes
10-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Reggie Bush if possible.

umaguma1979
10-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Premier running backs are not a good use of cap money. The risk/reward does not add up. Lineman are more durable than running backs. Teams are much better off putting their money in the O-line than in the runner. Look at how many running backs have looked good behind a good Vikings line.....M.Williams, Darrin Nelson (1987), R. Smith (but was a great back in his oneright), M.Bennett, Moore, etc....

I think the Vikings are better off improving the line and using the capable stable of backs they currently have. Moore is a very capable back and Fason looks like he can be a between the tackles guy. Plus, every year there are fresh young backs in the draft that seem to adjust to the NFL faster than any other skilled position on offense.

DogPound
10-22-2005, 08:26 AM
From what I have heard De'Angelo Williams is a stud ..and someone who carry the rock 25-30 times a game if needed.

ejmat
10-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Umaguma, when has Michael Bennett looked good?

I don't know what people criticized me during the off season when I brought up the fact of trying to sign Alexander. Alexander is not old. If he is than I want to be old too. The guy is leading the league in TDs and yards. I'm glad everyone thought he would be a "cancer". The only tumor he's carrying is the football and doing a great job at it. I wanted this guy ever since he put a beating on us in that Monday night game a couple of years ago. He's a stud.

I have to agree a lineman is what the Vikings need in the 1st round at this point in the season. Then again, McKinney hasn't exactly matched his expectations. It all may depend on how well Finotu (spelling) does. I think Fowler did a good overall job the other day and if Marcus Johnson learns the game he can be a stud too. A running back like Bush would be great or even a stud linebacker is what we really need. Believe it or not, our RB core isn't bad with Moore, Fason, and Moe. Not sure what's going to happen with Whizzy but he isn't bad. Bennett will for sure be gone. I for one hope he is. I wish him luck because I like him but I just don't think he's good. Anyway, I want to beat GB. I'd like to see Pep break out of his funk.

TWill19
10-22-2005, 09:25 AM
I will be dissapointed if we do not draft either Bush, Williams, or Maroney next year with our First Rounder.

I do not want Edge James or Alexander. I hope they both get re-signed.

audioghost
10-22-2005, 10:46 AM
We gotta go out and get an O-Line before we try to draft a RB....but Reggie Bush would be nice....he could be a PR, RB, and WR....so I think that adds more value......

I still like Alexander.....but Memo will do....I would hate it if we didn't stick with him and he went somewhere else and busted out to be a great, relaible back for the next 10 yrs!

SWAYZE74
10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
yeah...id go with some O-line first...hopefully there will be some good ones in the first round next year...hmm...a center maybe (given birks surgury and whatnot) then someone on the right side...lets hope our new trade can hold down that left side with Mckinney cause those 2 dudes together weigh what, like 9000 pounds...lol...even in the bears game MeMo was busting tackles like a mad man and looked like he could be our goto guy...so my money is for an O-lineman...

or AJ Hawk...^^

peace...

Paulbedy59
10-22-2005, 01:46 PM
I,m with fan 89.Draft a warrior to tote the rock.

Hitstick31
10-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I AM SICK OF EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT A NEW RUNNINGBACK!!!!!!!

Get a damn o line first!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE ALL THE GOOD RUNNINGBACKS WE NEED!!! ALEXANDER WOULDNT BE SO GOOD IF HE WAS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! With ROSENTHAL AND GOLDBERG AND LIWENSKI BLOCKING FOR YOU, YOUR NOT GONNA GET 1,000 yards!!!!!!!!!!!! When will you bafoons start realizing that(SORRY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a damn o line first, look at the chiefs they have priest "nobody" holmes and turn him into the next erick dickerson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT dont matter about who the runner is and quite frankly all our runnigbacks except moe can still carry the ball for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lando
10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
^^^ Chill out

I think MeMo is our future RB and agree we have bigger needs at this point (like an O-Line, although Matt Birk should help on that end but I believe next year is his final contract year and I doubt he'll stick around).

Hitstick31
10-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Birk got into a confrontation with C pep in the locker room i heard. Id rather keep Cpep let Birk go, if he doesn't fit in with his brothers on the team!!! Fowler is the center of the future, we need two more guards and another backup tackle and we'll be fine. Get goldy and Rosie out of town, THEY ARE KILLING US ON DRIVES!!!! Chris Liwenski can go too, he is highly OVERRATED, NEVER MAKES A GOOD BLOCK. B MAC is our BEST BLOCKER RIGHT NOW, Marcus Johnson will START BY THE END OF THE YEAR, Toni FOnouti will be our starting right guard and after this year, we should find a new left guard.

ultravikingfan
10-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Then don't read the thread.

kramer9guy
10-22-2005, 04:56 PM
While I agree we need to upgrade our O-line to improve the rushing game, looking at the RB's coming out of college next year, I'm surprised no one has mentioned DonTrell Moore from the University of New Mexico.

The amount of NCAA records this guys has set is just ridiculous (including 34th all-time rushing yards... he has passed several greats on the all-time list this season, including Bo Jackson (43rd), Earl Campbell (36th) and Eric Dickerson (35th) and that is while playing on a Mountain West team like the UNM Lobos). He is rated as the 3rd RB coming out of college in the 2006 draft.

While I greatly respect MeMo and know he is the back of the immediate future, I think we may have to look elsewhere if we want more of a power runner for the long term. And personally, I would rather go with a young guy than a veteran.

SamDawg84
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
me jk... ill be a kicker maybe for vikes if i try to be a kicker

UkViking
10-22-2005, 05:18 PM
O LINE is a priority,i think Memo can do the job but the guys in front have got to do theirs better. With a decent Oline even Tice could slot into RB position. :roll: :wink:

V4L
10-22-2005, 05:20 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Umaguma, when has Michael Bennett looked good?

I don't know what people criticized me during the off season when I brought up the fact of trying to sign Alexander. Alexander is not old. If he is than I want to be old too. The guy is leading the league in TDs and yards. I'm glad everyone thought he would be a "cancer". The only tumor he's carrying is the football and doing a great job at it. I wanted this guy ever since he put a beating on us in that Monday night game a couple of years ago. He's a stud.

I have to agree a lineman is what the Vikings need in the 1st round at this point in the season. Then again, McKinney hasn't exactly matched his expectations. It all may depend on how well Finotu (spelling) does. I think Fowler did a good overall job the other day and if Marcus Johnson learns the game he can be a stud too. A running back like Bush would be great or even a stud linebacker is what we really need. Believe it or not, our RB core isn't bad with Moore, Fason, and Moe. Not sure what's going to happen with Whizzy but he isn't bad. Bennett will for sure be gone. I for one hope he is. I wish him luck because I like him but I just don't think he's good. Anyway, I want to beat GB. I'd like to see Pep break out of his funk.

I didn't critisize bro.. I wanted Alexander really bad too.. I knew it wasn't gonna happen though.. It would have been a steal for a 2nd or 3rd round pick

COJOMAY
10-22-2005, 05:52 PM
I very much agree with the fact that we need blocking up front! The greatest running back in the world could not get untracked with our line blocking (not even Bush, Williams or Maroney).
So while you all whine next year that the Vkings didn't pick up a good running back in the draft, remember the reason. And if, per chance they do get one I' personally shoot the person who came up with that stupid idea.
I could take Del Rio and he'd get 6 yards a carry if he had good blocking in front of him! LOL

Mr. Purple
10-23-2005, 03:34 AM
Ok yes we need blocking up front, we all know this. But.....Oline can be found in rounds 3-6 ( we traded our 7th). Whats the problem with marcus johnson? He makes rookie mistakes. If we get another rookie, throw him in there on the line and exspect our line to become fabolous, it wont happen. We do need someone like Reggie Bush, someone who can pound the ball. We can easliy get quality O-Line in FA and later rounds of the draft. I seem to recall matt birk being found in the 4th round?

Paulbedy59
10-23-2005, 03:45 AM
next years draft promises to be the strongest off line class in years.Therefore I would like to see us draft a stud runner with our first pick and then take a lineman with the second pick.

ejmat
10-23-2005, 05:34 AM
Does anyone else think we could use a stuf linebacker to solidify the defense. Let's face it, out LB crew isn't exactly turning heads right now. I think Newman has had the best year so far. I think Cowart is not as fast as he was and I really don't know if Harris is getting our Defensive scheme. Who knows if we will have the same one next year. I'm not a real big Cottrell fan. Like I stated befoer at this point in the season I think we need a OL. I do agree however that the 2006 draft should have many strong ones and there should be some available in later rounds. I think we need a LB before we get another RB. Not that it would be bad having Bush. Maybe we can trade if we do get Bush.

Ltrey33
10-23-2005, 06:13 AM
"Hitstick31" wrote:

Get a gol 'darnit o line first!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE ALL THE GOOD RUNNINGBACKS WE NEED!!! ALEXANDER WOULDNT BE SO GOOD IF HE WAS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! With ROSENTHAL AND GOLDBERG AND LIWENSKI BLOCKING FOR YOU, YOUR NOT GONNA GET 1,000 yards!!!!!!!!!!!! When will you bafoons start realizing that(SORRY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a gol 'darnit o line first, look at the chiefs they have priest "nobody" holmes and turn him into the next erick dickerson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT dont matter about who the runner is and quite frankly all our runnigbacks except moe can still carry the ball for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime I read one of your posts I just want to go "WAAHHHH!!!!!!!". It reminds me of Wayne's World..."Extreme Close Up! WAAHHH!!!!"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/ltrey33/catphoto.jpg

Anyways, I agree that we don't need a new RB. Moore should be our starter for a while, we need help on the OL more than anything.

BBQ Platypus
10-23-2005, 07:06 AM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M THE LEPRECHAUN!!!!

ejmat
10-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Guys, we are ranked dead last in the league against the run. Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker.

Anyone heard Denny Green is interested in trading for Culpepper?

FuadFan
10-23-2005, 05:59 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Guys, we are ranked dead last in the league against the run. Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker.

Anyone heard Denny Green is interested in trading for Culpepper?Young linebacker that is playing one of the toughest positions to adjust to in the NFL as we have seen with Thomas and Henderson.

Burley81
10-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Guys, we don't need a new RB. Moore is the RB of the future, while Fason will be our 3rd down back and an excellent back-up. If we need a RB at all, we need a big bruising one to wear down the defenses (Moe will probally be gone after this year, so we need a big back for the future.) I would like Michael Bush (Reggie's brother.) This dude is a straight up power back, and will run over whatever is in his way. But I am not sure if he his entering the draft this year or not. We could probally take this guy in the 4th round.

Marcus Johnson is our starting guard of the future. So lets get another guard like Max Jean-Gilles. They will hold it down for some years (Johnson is just a rookie, give him some time. O-line rookies always have a bad rookie year.) Rosenthal false start's and holds way too much. Are their any good RT's in the FA market next year? If so, get him. If not, use our 2nd round pick on him or something.

So, McKinnie will be holding it down on the left side, while Jean-Gilles will be doing hopefully be doing good enough, then Birk/Fowler at center will be awesome, then Johnson will have a breakout year, and whoever we will have at RT, either it be a rookie or a good FA. Our line will be built for the future,and when our line gets straight, Moore will run wild.

Ddawg84
10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
We need Maroney!!!! end of story... the guy is a PIMP he is an amazing runner and has blazing home run hitting speed everytime he touches the ball... and he is no softy, he takes lots of hits and pounds the ball! He had 42 carries last week against the badgers and 262 yards rushin... so you know what he can do! nuff said!!!

ejmat
10-24-2005, 01:36 AM
I still say we need a LB. Henderson had a good game today. I think if we can grab a stud LB with the caliber of a Ray Lewis it will help solidify the D. The offense will come back. Still have good players on O.

collegeguyjeff
10-24-2005, 06:28 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Reggie Bush if possible.

maroneys stats crush bush, wilf already said something is gonna be done about the running game, he said he is going to get whoever he wants on his team and whatever coaches he wants because he has the money. so send us monte kiffen for defensive coordinator, billick for our offensive coordiantor and a kick ass coach. and a really good running back. nothing says we can't afford james or alexander, we can still draft a running back and let him get good for a few years. i wanna get maroney he's big and he's faster than people think he is. fason is like moe williams so i figure thats what his role will be. smith is gone, bennett is gone.

gregair13
10-24-2005, 06:35 AM
i dont want smith or bennett back. i think fason will play a big role next year and MeMo will be our starter. i dont think williams will be around, so i can see us drafting a back in the 3rd to 5th round, same place we got Fason. but lets not think about next year yet, it is only week 7.

akvikefan89
10-24-2005, 06:38 AM
By the time the draft rolls arund we will have signed in FA either a better RB (sorry, Memo does fine but this team needs a RB that can make defenses fear the ground attack) or an O-Lineman (With Fonoti hopefully re-signing plus Birk hopefully over his hernia, and Marcus Johnson maturing from rookie to pro, we need depth more than big names). So I see us upgrading at RB and O-Lineman during offseason. Wilf is going to spend whatever he thinks neccesary to win, on players, coaches, and staff.

umaguma1979
10-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Just win baby!!!!!!!

Let's focus on this year and the chips fall where they may!!!

Tice really steped up today! Personally, i am glad for him - he is a good guy! I think he is sobering up as a coach as well. If the Vikes win the division and make a run for the playoffs - you can't fire him.....Tice controls his own fate and he took a major step today in proving he is an NFL coach!!!!!

Way to go - Mike Tice!!!!!

akvikefan89
10-24-2005, 07:06 AM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Just win baby!!!!!!!

Let's focus on this year and the chips fall where they may!!!

Tice really steped up today! Personally, i am glad for him - he is a good guy! I think he is sobering up as a coach as well. If the Vikes win the division and make a run for the playoffs - you can't fire him.....Tice controls his own fate and he took a major step today in proving he is an NFL coach!!!!!

Way to go - Mike Tice!!!!!

I care what the Vikings do next year as much as I care about this year. It's interesting to speculate on what will happen in the offseason, no matter how early in the regular season it is, or how good/bad the team is doing.

I, and probably the majority of the members here, will need to see more than a comeback victory to "vote" for Tice as 2006 coach.

Paulbedy59
10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Oh sure,we will just go out and get another Ray Lewis,no problem.Hell we are having a time just getting a decent backer.

akvikefan89
10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Oh sure,we will just go out and get another Ray Lewis,no problem.Hell we are having a time just getting a decent backer.

Where did that come from? :scratch:

Paulbedy59
10-24-2005, 09:39 AM
It came from the quote of the fella who said we need to go out and get a ray lewis.

akvikefan89
10-24-2005, 11:02 AM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

It came from the quote of the fella who said we need to go out and get a ray lewis.

Oh, I missed that.

ejmat
10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
I am the fella that said we need to get a Ray Lewis calibur linebacker. I'm not saying there is an abundance of them. What I'm saying is we need to make LB a priority. As you insinuated we don't even have a decent LB. Don't you think getting a decent one would be improtant? Especially since we were dead last against the run before yesterday's game.

I am realistic and know there aren't many Ray Lewis calibur LBs in this league. There are good ones though. LBs that are proven. Everyone is talking about we need to draft a RB in the 1st round. I admit having someone like a Reggie Bush would be great but IMO a LB is a bigger priority.

No reason for sarcasm Paul. It's my opinion!

DCPologirl
10-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I think anyone would take Reggie Bush

Burley81
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Maybe we should run the ball more than 14 times a game. We should run the ball 30-35 times a game with Moore (like I said before.)

XxS2TheEvoxX
10-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Shaun Alexander is going to be working out a long term deal with the Seahawks... Look at what he's doing again... Although Maurice Morris does look very good for them right now, I think they'll get a long-term deal done with Shaun Alexander.

Really, I think Mewelde Moore is our runningback, and we should stick with him. Ciatrick Fason is another runnningback I see that could be groomed as our runningback of the future.

Mewelde isn't getting that many carries, but when he does he is making the best out of it. He is also very good receiver. I love the vision that he displays. Right now he is averaging about 4 yards a carry behind a struggling line. I wouldn't attention much to the fumble yesterday...he actually had both hands on the ball and looked as if he was protecting it well.

If we do happen to look for another runningback, I hope it is Lawrence Maroney.

DEEP PURPLE
10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
earlier collegeguyjeff said "maroneys stats crush bush" so I thought about it and did a little investigation, here's what I came up with:

Maroney
att. yards avg. TD
Rush 208 1133 5.4 8
Rec. 11 131 11.9 1
KOR 4 96 24.0 0
PR 0 0 0 0
TOT. 223 1360 6.1 9
1 touchdown every 24.8 touches

Bush
att. yards avg. TD
Rush 94 812 8.6 10
Rec. 19 244 12.8 2
KOR 14 229 16.3 0
PR 11 137 12.4 1
TOT. 138 1422 10.3 13
1 touchdown every 10.6 touches

In my opinion its not even that close as the stats stand, and if Reggie didn't have to share as many carries with another stud back like LenDale White this wouldn't even be up for discussion. If the opertunity arises wheather it be from our own draft pick or in a trade for someone elses, we should get Reggie Bush. If we don't get that oportunity, thats OK there are plenty of other things that need to be addressed on this football team. I'm not trying to say that anyone is wrong for there opinions, his post just got me thinking thats all.

Mr. Purple
10-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Good Post Deep.

Now I love MeMo, I think hes a all around great player and guy. But he dosnt seem like he can be that 4 quarter back that we need.That pound the ball late in the 4quarter kinda guy Alexander, LT, Caddy (etc) are. In this upcoming draft we Need a RB that can carry the load, run for over a 100 game in and game out. A RB like Reggie Bush or Maroney. Both are exceptional backs and I would be happy with either. I perfer bush.I would like to see what Fason can do. I havnt seen much action of him except some preseason games. But this upcoming draft a RB could really help this offense and this team. Like Ronnie Brown and Caddy our doin this year IMO.

SJHILL
10-25-2005, 06:03 AM
I think I share the same views as most Viking fans when I say MeMo should be the starting back for us for years to come. Fason should also be kept as a reserve as I see all of the world in him. The vikes can keep Bennet as a gunner on the punt team for all I care, but I think he(Bennett) deserves a roster spot.

hic-agvike77
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
I just don't understand sometimes...everybody says they like MeMo yet all people seem to talk about is replacing him. People say that he wears down but he sure looked pretty fresh in the 4th quarter on that td recption against the packers. :???:

While I do think we need more of a pounder for a change of pace, I also think by the end of this season that Mewellde will have proved that he's a damn good #1 back. I don't really watch collage ball but from what I've read about Bush he sounds very similar to MeMo small, makes people miss, good reciever, probably has a little more speed though. I just don't see the piont trying to go after a back they may already have.

If the Vikes have a top 5 pick than yes I think they should go for the best player availible regardless of postition...but I really doubt they will be picking that low but who knows with the way they have played half thier games this season.

But just to help show you guys why I'm so high on MeMo here's his stats from the last 4 games based on total touches vs two backs who are considered two of the best in the league. I know stats don't tell it all but they do say something.

Memo stats 4 games this year:

Rushing Reciving
Week 3 (NOR) 1 23 101 101.0 4.4 0 1 3 3.0 3.0 3 -
Total touches-24-104-4.3

Week 4 (@ATL) 1 14 57 57.0 4.1 0 6 63 63.0 10.5 27 -
Total touches-20-120-6.0

Week 6 (@CHI) 1 14 57 57.0 4.1 0 5 52 52.0 10.4 18-
Total touches-19-109-5.7

Week 7 (GNB) 1 13 45 45.0 3.5 0 4 60 60.0 15.0 29 -
Total touches-17-105-6.1

Memo 4 game total-80-438-5.4

Alexanders stats last 4 games:

Week 4 (@WAS) 1 20 98 98.0 4.9 1 1 4 4.0 4.0 4 -
Total touches-21-102-4.8

Week 5 (@STL) 1 25 119 119.0 4.8 2 3 16 16.0 5.3 6 -
Total touches-28-135-4.8

Week 6 (HOU) 1 22 141 141.0 6.4 4 1 1 1.0 1.0 1 00-
Total touches-23-142-6.1

Week 7 (DAL) 1 21 61 61.0 2.9 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0-
Total touches-21-61-2.9

Alexander 4 game Total- 93-440-4.7

Edge last 4 game stats:

Week 4 (@TEN) 1 21 90 90.0 4.3 0 2 12 12.0 6.0 8 -
Total touches-23-102-4.4

Week 5 (@SFO) 1 21 105 105.0 5.0 1 4 42 42.0 10.5 16 -
Total touches-25-147-5.8

Week 6 (STL) 1 23 143 143.0 6.2 3 3 16 16.0 5.3 8 -
Total touches-26-159-6.1

Week 7 (@HOU) 1 21 139 139.0 6.6 2 1 8 8.0 8.0 8
Total touches-22-147-6.8

Edge 4 game total- 96-555-5.7

Vikesfreak81
10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I say stick with Moore...O Smith will be back, Fiason is young and looked good in pre-season. And maybe bring Clarett in....Out of college I like B. Calhoun from Wisc.

Freakout
10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
A RB that caught my eye is Michael Bush from Louisville. Certainly not a 1st rounder but the guy is a nice power back that can be hard to bring down. 6-3 240 + lbs. and appears to be pretty damn mobile.

Mr. Purple
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
very good post HIC, I am one of the people who said that I love MeMo but dont feel he is a 4 quarter/pound the ball type of back we need. The thing about Reggie Bush is that he is a freak of nature. Thier hasnt been a bigger RB to come outta college in the last couple years with so much skill its insane. The guy is pretty big, bigger then MeMo I should say. The way he makes players miss and the way he lines up as a WR, runs the route and snags the ball outta the air like a WR is truly insane. Reggie Bush will make a team very happy next year, and every day I pray we get a chance to draft him.MeMo is awesome love the guy. But I think this team needs a RB who will pound the ball for solid gains late into the 4th like Caddy and Ronnie.

DEEP PURPLE
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
I definatly like Michael Bush as well. He is a horse between the tackles. He also leads the nation in touchdowns with 18, so you know he has a nose for the goal-line as well.

One other thing in the comparison of Reggie Bush and Lawrence Marony, Bush has taken alot less punishment do to the fact that he only carries the ball 12-15 times per game, and very rarely takes a solid hit. Marony is toting it almost 30 times per, and isn't nearly as elusive.

As for MeMo, I like the guy alot, I think he is a fine back. I like him because he can do a little bit of everything, run between the tackles, hit the edge, catch passes out of the back field, his blocking needs work but I have seen improvement over last year. Overall he is a very servicable back. But if you have a shot at a Reggie Bush, you take it.

GreenBaySlackers
10-27-2005, 09:00 PM
"Vikesfreak81" wrote:

I say stick with Moore...O Smith will be back, Fiason is young and looked good in pre-season. And maybe bring Clarett in....Out of college I like B. Calhoun from Wisc.

whizzinator wont be back, and if we get clarett i'll hang myself.

hic-agvike77
10-27-2005, 09:16 PM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

very good post HIC, I am one of the people who said that I love MeMo but dont feel he is a 4 quarter/pound the ball type of back we need. The thing about Reggie Bush is that he is a freak of nature. Thier hasnt been a bigger RB to come outta college in the last couple years with so much skill its insane. The guy is pretty big, bigger then MeMo I should say. The way he makes players miss and the way he lines up as a WR, runs the route and snags the ball outta the air like a WR is truly insane. Reggie Bush will make a team very happy next year, and every day I pray we get a chance to draft him.MeMo is awesome love the guy. But I think this team needs a RB who will pound the ball for solid gains late into the 4th like Caddy and Ronnie.

Thanks!

Well I guess until the vikes can actually go into the 4th with a lead no rb is going to do us any good on the ground :lol:

I'll make it a piont to try and watch him(Bush) before I decide anything. He sounds pretty damn awsome!

ultravikingfan
10-27-2005, 10:46 PM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"Vikesfreak81" wrote:

whizzinator wont be back, and if we get clarett i'll hang myself.

That makes 2 of us! Screww Clarett!

mnvikes61
10-27-2005, 10:56 PM
i think Moore is going to a good RB for us. he has great vision and seems to have a knack for breaking tackles or falling fowards after contact. the only thing is i don't know if he's a 30 carry type of back he might wear down.

Lotza
10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
did someone just say clarret?

I HAVE NO REASON TO LIVE!

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiehardVikesFan
10-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Reggie Bush is a great back, but he is definately not the type of back we need. We'd be much better off taking USC's thunder, LenDale White (6-2, 235 lbs.)

FuadFan
10-28-2005, 05:19 AM
We won't be in a position to get him anyway Maroney is probably the one we would be in position for since I think he is third best right now behind Bush and Deangelo Williams.

DEEP PURPLE
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
you never know what Wilf might do to obtain a runningback, espicially if he realizes how special Reggie Bush could be, and is willing do spend the dough to get him.

In any event I'm behind what ever decision they make at the RB position for next year.

Gift
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
"Hitstick31" wrote:

Get a gol 'darnit o line first!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE ALL THE GOOD RUNNINGBACKS WE NEED!!! ALEXANDER WOULDNT BE SO GOOD IF HE WAS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! With ROSENTHAL AND GOLDBERG AND LIWENSKI BLOCKING FOR YOU, YOUR NOT GONNA GET 1,000 yards!!!!!!!!!!!! When will you bafoons start realizing that(SORRY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a gol 'darnit o line first, look at the chiefs they have priest "nobody" holmes and turn him into the next erick dickerson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT dont matter about who the runner is and quite frankly all our runnigbacks except moe can still carry the ball for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

V4L
10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not so sure Mewelde is the future.. I love the guy and think he is good for us right now.. But he hasn't rushed for 100 a game constintley.. Hasn't he only rushed for 100 against the Saints? He is a great recieving back though so that helps alot..

Wilf has surprised me alot.. Im wondering if he would be willing to trade up to get the 1st overall or even move up to ger Deangelo Williams if we need to

Mr. Purple
10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
ya Vikez I agree with ya there, its MeMo's consistancy that bothers me...I havnt seen him go back to back weeks and put up solid numbers...thats really the only reason why I question him really. Maroney is a good back as well, the truth is I would be happy with him too. I just cant beleive how good reggie bush is sometimes...its pretty unreal, and anyone who has watched him can agree on that.

V4L
10-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Yup I agree Wot.. Bush is amazing.. He doesn't even need that good of a line.. He will make an immedient impact.. I question Maroney a little.. Most of his good runs come from awesome blocking up front.. They open holes for trucks to drive though.. Best line in the big 10.. We have a weak o-line this year and wonder if Maroney would be able to suceed behind it in the NFL.. But if MM can put up around 100 consistently and recieve the ball like he does i'll be happy with him.. But now i'm looking at a RB in the draft if possible

skum
11-01-2005, 10:16 PM
How about we tried to land Duce Staley.. with them both having(the steelers it is) Bettis and Parker.. he will not get as many carries as he wants .. and he's a great RB imo..

But i think that Mewelde Moore looks good.. and if only he got get the blocking he deserves - he will turn out great..

So really what we need is a LG - now we landed the other RG from Chargers i dont think we will have a problem here..

ultravikingfan
11-02-2005, 02:13 AM
"skum" wrote:

How about we tried to land Duce Staley.. with them both having(the steelers it is) Bettis and Parker.. he will not get as many carries as he wants .. and he's a great RB imo..

But i think that Mewelde Moore looks good.. and if only he got get the blocking he deserves - he will turn out great..

So really what we need is a LG - now we landed the other RG from Chargers i dont think we will have a problem here..

Check out his health.

SharperVikings
11-03-2005, 01:07 AM
No way to edge or alexander, they will be wanting way to much money for us to afford and pay. We should draft reggie bush, and the way its looking (not to be negative, but its the truth) We could have a chance to get him!

donjen95
11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
spend the money and picks on the o-line. linebackers are next priority.

SharperVikings
11-03-2005, 01:21 AM
see, in my opinion, we only need one more o-line, and that is to replace lewinski. Birk is the center core of the line. He directs and tells the offense how to run, including culpepper alot of the times. I think that the line is fine, except for lewinski! We def need a new mlb because of cowarts age and lack of speed!

Peace out

Burley81
11-03-2005, 04:46 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I'm not so sure Mewelde is the future.. I love the guy and think he is good for us right now.. But he hasn't rushed for 100 a game constintley.. Hasn't he only rushed for 100 against the Saints? He is a great recieving back though so that helps alot..

Wilf has surprised me alot.. Im wondering if he would be willing to trade up to get the 1st overall or even move up to ger Deangelo Williams if we need to

No, if we would run the ball more than 15 times a game, he would run for 100+ yards a game. We only ran the ball 20 times against the Saints, our season high. He is very consistent. Look at how many times he has ran the ball per game. Barely any, right? Plus, look at the line he is running behind. So, it is the coaches fault! They realize Daunte is struggling, and what do they do? Pass it more! They are idiots!. All I know is, give Moore the ball 30 times a game, he will get you 115+. Well, we better run the ball alot more since Pep is injured.

How about we rebuild our line first before we judge anyone. Bush would look like a bust behind this line. No one has produced behind this line, why do you think a rookie will?

COJOMAY
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I doubt that the Vikes will get a chance at either player, but if you were drafting would you take Eslinger or Maroney from the Gophers?
Personally I'd take Eslinger. Even thogh Maroney gets all the press, Eslinger is the best center in college football and heavens knows we need help on our offensive line.
Eslinger is on track to win the Outland Trophy for the best college lineman this year, will no doubt win the Rimington Trophy for the best center in college football. It will be the second time he's won that. He'll be an All-Maerican for the second year in a row and he was already named the Big 10's best lineman this year.

PurplePeopleEaters
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Maroney any day of the week. We will have Birk coming back next year and Eslinger is an undersized center anyways.

Wiggles67
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
If MeMo has really been injuried as much as it seems the past few weeks we need to get a more reliable every down back. I love the guy but the number of injuries he seems to have are crazy! Again, I'm not convinced these are really that serious and have a feel it might be more of the fact that Tice wants to get Bennett his carries. If MeMo can prove to stay healthy on a regular basis he is a very capable back. But if he is always going to be injury plagued we need to look at another option

Big C
12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
The running back by committee thing seems to be working when the O-line is performing better. Mewelde should be the starter, Bennet or Smith (if he's back) the spell guy, and Fason the 3rd down guy. I doubt we will have a high enough draft pick to grab a franchise RB.

V4L
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
"Burley81" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

No, if we would run the ball more than 15 times a game, he would run for 100+ yards a game. We only ran the ball 20 times against the Saints, our season high. He is very consistent. Look at how many times he has ran the ball per game. Barely any, right? Plus, look at the line he is running behind. So, it is the coaches fault! They realize Daunte is struggling, and what do they do? Pass it more! They are idiots!. All I know is, give Moore the ball 30 times a game, he will get you 115+. Well, we better run the ball alot more since Pep is injured.

How about we rebuild our line first before we judge anyone. Bush would look like a bust behind this line. No one has produced behind this line, why do you think a rookie will?

True dat.. Im all for giving someone more carries.. They just gotta stay healthy and stay on the field.. Hasn't he sprained his ankles 3 times this year? And sprained a wrist? Personally I believe we can get someone with the same talent or even better who can stay on the field consistently.. Memo would break down if he had 30 plus carries bro

Big C
12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
The league is starting to move in the direction of running back by committee.

Larry Johnson/Priest Holmes
Stephen Smith/Deshaun Foster
Mike Anderson/Tatem Bell
Warrick Dunn/TJ Ducket
Corey Dillon/Kevin Faulk
Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown

The change of pace and style can throw the defense off. Mewelde and Bennet are different enough in styles and abilities to fit this system. It also always means in case your starter goes down, you have a capable backup who consistently gets reps to step in and step up (like Bennet has this year).

It doesn't matter who you have in the backfield though, if your O-Line can't create gaps.

Wiggles67
12-08-2005, 08:11 PM
"Big C" wrote:

Mike Anderson/Tatem Bell
Warrick Dunn/TJ Ducket
Corey Dillon/Kevin Faulk

The change of pace and style can throw the defense off. Mewelde and Bennet are different enough in styles and abilities to fit this system. It also always means in case your starter goes down, you have a capable backup who consistently gets reps to step in and step up (like Bennet has this year).

It doesn't matter who you have in the backfield though, if your O-Line can't create gaps.
I dont think a lot of theses teams are CHOOSING the RB by committee. If you look at almost all of these teams the biggest reason you are seeing these supposed by committees is when there are injuries in involved or you have a RB and a 3rd down back. I dont know if I would necessarily call it a true RB by committee what I is going on is the 3rd down back is taking the place of the FB. I'm definately on sold on the true RB by committee. I have yet to see a team be very very successful with this (with exception of Denver).

ultravikingfan
12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

"Big C" wrote:

Mike Anderson/Tatem Bell
Warrick Dunn/TJ Ducket
Corey Dillon/Kevin Faulk

I dont think a lot of theses teams are CHOOSING the RB by committee. If you look at almost all of these teams the biggest reason you are seeing these supposed by committees is when there are injuries in involved or you have a RB and a 3rd down back. I dont know if I would necessarily call it a true RB by committee what I is going on is the 3rd down back is taking the place of the FB. I'm definately on sold on the true RB by committee. I have yet to see a team be very very successful with this (with exception of Denver).

I would not call RBBC; its Johnson's job now and he since Holmes is a hurt machine its Johnson's job to lose.

sharper42
12-09-2005, 05:27 AM
id pick up edgerrin jame sif possible or draft the best available

VKG4LFE
12-09-2005, 05:40 AM
"TWill19" wrote:

I will be dissapointed if we do not draft either Bush, Williams, or Maroney next year with our First Rounder.

I do not want Edge James or Alexander. I hope they both get re-signed.

Those three guys might not last until the middle of the first round where we will be picking.

collegeguyjeff
12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
edge i wouldn't want him cause of his injuries, however alexander might be a good guy to get cause the sea chickens have a 100mil payroll and they won't be able to afford to keep alexander unless they dump some guys. alexander obviously proved he wants money and wilf has it. i really want to see the offensive line fixed, a awesome running back, another backup cornerback, safety, and perhaps a linebacker incase cowart leaves or isn't kept. oh and a quarterback who doesn't fumble snaps and throw interceptions and have a wrecked knee too would be nice. but it's not culpeppers fault the offensive line sucked so bad in the beginning and he has so many new receivers to throw to and a shaky running back situation.