PDA

View Full Version : Birk calls writer to complain about teammates...

audioghost
10-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Does this surprise you....I am hating Matt Birk more every day....

From article off of si.com by Michael Silver:

The cell phone ring tone -- Crosby, Stills and Nash's postapocalyptic anthem Wooden Ships, a wholly appropriate choice given the NFL's latest and juiciest scandal -- jarred me out of pre-R.E.M. sleep in the O'Hare Airport hotel room that had served as my all-night writing cage.

"Hey, it's Matt Birk," the Minnesota Vikings' injured center said as I instinctively answered the phone, albeit with my eyes still closed. "Is this a good time to talk?"

Hmmmm. Let's see ... 9:15 a.m. central, after having hit the hay at eight.... Flight home in less than three hours ... big day of fact-checking and lawyer-interrogation to follow ... head heavier than Zygi Wilf's bank-account vault....

"Yeah," I answered. "Great time."

Eventually, after I regained the ability to formulate a sentence, I ended up having an enlightening 45-minute conversation with the four-time Pro Bowler and Harvard grad -- an interview interrupted briefly when he dropped off his daughter, Madison, at preschool. As blunt in discourse as he is on a power sweep, Birk is one of many Vikings players who was angry with teammates for the irresponsible behavior they exhibited while staging the team's annual rookie party on a pair of rented yachts on Lake Minnetonka.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell people morally what they should do," Birk said. "But there are basic principles of human decency at play here, as well as the law, and it's not too tough to figure out that if you're going to engage in that type of behavior, it's something that absolutely should happen in private.

"Things like this just wear you out. It's frustrating because every two months we seem to have a scandal around here, and then the people involved decide they won't talk to the media. That leaves the rest of us, who aren't involved, to have to answer for them publicly, and it's not a whole lot of fun. But, hey, some guys are just selfish. They don't think about anybody else."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/10/20/silver1020/index.html

Why does Birk think that he has to talk to the media for the rest of the team??? Nobody wants to talk until the investigation is over, and Birk wasn't even involved and it doesn't concern him....whatta homo!

Webby
10-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Well, historically, he has been a voice for the team.....a voice for some of the less than superstars if you know what I mean. I think he's probably right, a lot of guys on the team are po'ed about this.

ItalianStallion
10-21-2005, 05:39 AM
What is your beef with Matt Birk, who are you trying to defend, the criminals and deviants on this team?

He is the only one currently showing any class.

Valhalladeath
10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
So you hate one of the players on your favorite team for being one of the only people to actually show any signs of intelligence or moral decency? I agree with Birk, things need to change. These players are acting like they are above the law and then not performing on the field. It disgusts me as a fan, and I am glad that someone on the team is willing to come out and say that it bothers them too. Too many people are "not talking to the media" right now. That, to me, says a lot more about their character than anything else.

CanadaViking
10-21-2005, 05:47 AM
I would tend to agree with h im as well, as much as I think sometimes he speaks out of context, he is probably right. I love Zygi, he'll make all of us proud!!!!

Cheers!!

Articnv
10-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Matt Birk si one on the offensive identy. he tends to speak up abotu the lesser known memebrs on the team is probly takign what he hereing and what he feels and stepign up to try and get a cleaner image for the vikings. My props to him for speaking up

jimmymac
10-21-2005, 06:07 AM
I agree with Birk. I also agree with the letter of the fan that returned her 2 tickets to the ticket-office (can be seen in another thread). Is the team made up of thugs that now won't own-up for their actions?

ultravikingfan
10-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Good for Birk! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/talking/043.gif

Way to set an example!

audioghost
10-21-2005, 06:19 AM
OK, you gotta understand that the Vikes who aren't talking, aren't gonna talk until the investigation is over....I don't blame them, as far as Birk requesting an interview to rag on his teammates....thats just ridiculous...the dude is out for the season, its not like he's helping this team at all anyway! He should just shut his yap cuz this does not concern him, at all, he wasn't there, he isn't playing this season, and he wants attention....the media is gonna have a hayday with something like this whether Birk speaks up or not

ultravikingfan
10-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Whether he is out for the season or not. He is still a member of the team and he has earned his stripes. The team is like a brotherood. I know of being part of a brotherhood (Army) and thats just how things go.

audioghost
10-21-2005, 06:26 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

What is your beef with Matt Birk, who are you trying to defend, the criminals and deviants on this team?

Criminals? Give me a break....everybody makes mistakes, and as of right now, nobody on the Minnesota Vikings has been convicted for the boat thing....go back to church mr. perfect.....you and Birk can go hang out and read books together and hold hands, I can't judge NFL players because they wanna go out and have a good time....I am in college, and the football kids at my college are worse than the Vikes....how many of you in here have been to a strip club? Came in contact with strippers? Gotten Drunk on a boat? I know I've done all 3 and it would be a shame if I didn't cuz my life would be boring as sin! Its America, give em' a break...innocent till proven guilty, not the other way around!!!

PacNWVike
10-21-2005, 06:27 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Well said Stallion... :thumbright:

RandyMoss8404
10-21-2005, 06:28 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaa

I just spit orange juice everywhere

ultravikingfan
10-21-2005, 06:31 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Criminals? Give me a break....everybody makes mistakes, and as of right now, nobody on the Minnesota Vikings has been convicted for the boat thing....go back to church mr. perfect.....you and Birk can go hang out and read books together and hold hands, I can't judge NFL players because they wanna go out and have a good time....I am in college, and the football kids at my college are worse than the Vikes....how many of you in here have been to a strip club? Came in contact with strippers? Gotten Drunk on a boat? I know I've done all 3 and it would be a shame if I didn't cuz my life would be boring as sin! Its America, give em' a break...innocent till proven guilty, not the other way around!!!

Good read:
http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14912

Ltrey33
10-21-2005, 06:32 AM
I seriously think that Birk is trying to get out of Minnesota. After they refused to guarantee his new contract I think he got pissed off....now he wants out so he doesn't have any problem calling the media and letting them know how unhappy he is.

singersp
10-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Two thumbs up! Except I believe those involved were instructed not to talk to the media until the investigation is over.

RandyMoss8404
10-21-2005, 06:35 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I'm about to be flamed, but let me be real with you:

They're black and rich. America will love to see them fall.

audioghost
10-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Quote from Birk:

"He was good," Birk said of Wilf. "I'll be honest with you: Being from Minnesota, and having been with the Vikings for a while now, I don't want to play anywhere else. I mean, I want to die a Viking. But after this latest crap, I'd been thinking to myself, maybe I should try to get the hell out of here."

If Birk wants to "die a Viking" then why the second thoughts? Honestly, instead of going and b!tching to the media (which Birk is famous for....) he should have talked to guys personally....you handle this type of stuff in house, not tattling to the same ppl who have you in the news when everything is going wrong, but never seem to conjure up a story when you're actually doing good (unless its a 'Randy Moss is a cancer' story, until we trade him, then its a 'The Vikings are nothing w/o Moss' story)....

snowinapril
10-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Honestly, Birk has every right to speak out. He is probably doing the other innocent Vikes a justice. He is trying to keep people from thinking that everyone on the Vikes was part of the party.

The others can't speak out cause they still have to go to war with the ones involve. They can't say anything.

Birk isn't incriminating anyone, he is just speaking up and trying to set an example that this is wrong. Whether there was criminal activity or not, football players being in the limelight, can't be doing this in public places. They can't keep getting in trouble.

He gave a nod for the new owner.

He said he wants to stay.

He wants a change in the identity of the Vikes

Those 3 things are all positive signs. Plus, he is trying to get the BAD GUYS to take ownership for their actions(never happen).

He spoke out last year, and they(org.) tried to make a change, but it just went south from there.

snowinapril
10-21-2005, 06:47 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

Quote from Birk:

"He was good," Birk said of Wilf. "I'll be honest with you: Being from Minnesota, and having been with the Vikings for a while now, I don't want to play anywhere else. I mean, I want to die a Viking. But after this latest crap, I'd been thinking to myself, maybe I should try to get the hell out of here."

If Birk wants to "die a Viking" then why the second thoughts? Honestly, instead of going and b!tching to the media (which Birk is famous for....) he should have talked to guys personally....you handle this type of stuff in house, not tattling to the same ppl who have you in the news when everything is going wrong, but never seem to conjure up a story when you're actually doing good (unless its a 'Randy Moss is a cancer' story, until we trade him, then its a 'The Vikings are nothing w/o Moss' story)....

Simple, see the quote about Robinson being back on special teams after being told he was off. There is such a lack of leadership from the inside out, that it is not funny. He took his jabs at Tice, the issues with Moss, Robinson, the asst coaches, Birk took his jabs.

That is why someone would want to leave. People want leadership and when they don't get it, all hell breaks lose. I said that last year with Moss also, all he needed was leadership from the Head Coach.

singersp
10-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I saw this thread earlier in the day and this is exactly why I didn't post it. We should be talking about the upcoming Packer game. Nothing much is going to get better amongst the players, fans & media until all the names are out in public & justice is served.

Then we can move on.

There is just to much finger pointing going on.

RK.
10-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Well I am glad someone is speaking out and letting people know its not the whole Viking organization that is at fault. I just had to watch Bill O'Reily dis the Vikes on the factor tonight. He basically said the Vikings are out of control and in a way that indited the whole team. He also predicted a Packer win on Sunday. :evil: Somebody needs to speak up and let the public know that the majority of our team are great people.

WBLVikeBabe
10-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Yes I agree, there has been enough talk about this topic on the 10 other threads that have been made on the issue.

ultravikingfan
10-21-2005, 07:55 AM
"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

Yes I agree, there has been enough talk about this topic on the 10 other threads that have been made on the issue.

What?

You mean you want more of these?

WBLVikeBabe
10-21-2005, 07:57 AM
haha nooooo!

audioghost
10-21-2005, 08:02 AM
HERE's one funny arse video:

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1616353/

Helping blondes everywhere.....

WBLVikeBabe
10-21-2005, 08:07 AM
haha wow we go from Matt Birk to blonde star?! That was pretty hilarious though.

audioghost
10-21-2005, 08:09 AM
"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

haha wow we go from Matt Birk to blonde star?! That was pretty hilarious though.

Cuz I'm pretty much done talking about Birk till he plays in a game.....I am a big hater of the off the field coverage....I would rather talk about the game last week, the game this week, and the players that are on the field....blonde star, however, is a quite fruity alternative! lol

audioghost
10-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Paris Hilton screwing next to a pool....lol

http://www.collegehumor.com/pictures/1614530/

Ho ya....that was sooooo hot!!! lol

Paulbedy59
10-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I like Birk,he is good and seems to be a class act.But the truth as I see it is that HE decided to talk.It,s not his job.

whackthepack
10-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Birk should not go out of his way to talk to the media.

But Audio and moss8404 you both have be lambasting him since last season, and this is not the first thread about it!

It comes back to the fact that you think he is one of the reasons that Randy was traded, and that he should not have yelled at Randy for walking off the field early.

I think Birk should not have called the reporter and gave him the interview. But if I was a Viking that was flying straight and trying to make the Viking better, and these guys kept embarrassing me on a weekly bases I would be pissed. We have had the Whizzinator, Wife beatings, people arrested at 3 in the mornings at gas stations, the love boat, Tice selling Superbowl tickets and more that I can remember right now. I can understand that some players would be pissed, this reflects on them too!

To say Birk has not been involved with the team is wrong!! He has been trying to help coach the O line and make Withrow a better center (tall order), and that is something he does not have to do. He could just have taken his pay, hung out on his coach and told the Vikes see ya next year!

Hooversham
10-21-2005, 05:44 PM
What's wrong with Matt Birk calling a reporter and clearing some stuff regarding those players that AREN'T selfish brats. This guys is one of the ONLY Vikings to show any leadership, let alone class, in the past 5 years. God forbid there are players on the team that take a stand to NOT do things that (GASP!) the community might find distasteful.

I find it REALLY ironic how people here complain about Matt Birk calling the media to talk about other players, and about how he should handle this "in house", but last year those same people lambasted Birk for yelling at Randy Moss after he walked off the field. Was that not "In house" enough for you?

I wish more players would call the station and identify themselves and others as NOT being on the boat and NOT being in favor of activities like that. Then maybe the community might realize that it's not the Vikings as a team that are inconsiderate, but instead an isolated group of spoiled, irresponsible punks.

mnjamie
10-21-2005, 06:47 PM
IMO ... dont' give a rip about all the off the field stuff. Too each their own I say. It's the on the field stuff that is bothering me as of late. Till there are charges filed ... it's a non-issue.

RandyMoss8404
10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

But Audio and moss8404 you both have be lambasting him since last season, and this is not the first thread about it!

It comes back to the fact that you think he is one of the reasons that Randy was traded, and that he should not have yelled at Randy for walking off the field early.

I think Birk should not have called the reporter and gave him the interview. But if I was a Viking that was flying straight and trying to make the Viking better, and these guys kept embarrassing me on a weekly bases I would be pissed. We have had the Whizzinator, Wife beatings, people arrested at 3 in the mornings at gas stations, the love boat, Tice selling Superbowl tickets and more that I can remember right now. I can understand that some players would be pissed, this reflects on them too!

To say Birk has not been involved with the team is wrong!! He has been trying to help coach the O line and make Withrow a better center (tall order), and that is something he does not have to do. He could just have taken his pay, hung out on his coach and told the Vikes see ya next year!

If I have to respond to you, it's going to get the thread locked again. I know you enjoy following my posts around and posting your emphatic drivel, but it's getting old.

The long and short of it is that Matt Birk is a tool who overestimates his own importance, and the horse crap he pulled about guaranteed money shows his true nature.

Valhalladeath
10-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Let's face it. Basically, 17 players decided to be stupid, and a team that has over 50 members takes all of the peripheral damage. I am glad that Birk has the balls to speak out about the actions of a minority of the team to defend the people who do care about the team and winning.

A lot of players are not going to be with the team next year because of stupid stunts like the boat incident, and I can guarantee you that Birk will not be one of those leaving. 'Nuff said.

snowinapril
10-21-2005, 07:50 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

IMO ... dont' give a rip about all the off the field stuff. Too each their own I say. It's the on the field stuff that is bothering me as of late. Till there are charges filed ... it's a non-issue.

Birk probably wouldn't have a problem either if atleast 75 percent of people had your attitude. He and about 66 % of the team weren't even there. But people in the back of their minds wonder, was so and so there.

It is taboo for the ones that were not on the boat to speak out. Then everyone that was on the boat will be pissed. By the process of elimination, one could find out who was on the boat, so the ones not on the boat are not talking(much).

If the guys that are in trouble or will be in trouble would speak out, then it would relieve some of the pressure on the others.

CanadaViking
10-21-2005, 08:17 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

If I have to respond to you, it's going to get the thread locked again. I know you enjoy following my posts around and posting your emphatic drivel, but it's getting old.

The long and short of it is that Matt Birk is a tool who overestimates his own importance, and the horse crap he pulled about guaranteed money shows his true nature.

You my friend are out to lunch, "horse crap about guaranteed money" why would the guy jeopardize his career if the team wouldn't back him up?

Are you serious? If he thinks so little about the team and is so selfish, then why in the world would he be there helping with the O-Line? And as far as Birk speaking up, well I give him kudos for that, because some of these other players and there attitudes are affecting the on field product. To under estimate the boat issue and all of the other hoopla that has happened off of the field, is misguided, IMO.

This coming from someone who isn't the biggest Birk fan around, however if I played for my hometown team and guys were making amockery of the team, I would be way more pissed then Birk!!

8404, you must understand thet this type of garbage off of the field affects the front office, the coaches, the owners, the fans, and it really affects the locker room!

Cheers!!

whackthepack
10-21-2005, 08:25 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

You just can not get over your belief that Birk is the cause of Moss being traded, and this has been going on for months.

When you post about other things I could care less, but you always seem to come back to Birk and Moss and I will continue to call you on it.

So until you can get over the fact that Moss is gone and Birk is still on the team, we will keep having this debate!

Ltrey33
10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"audioghost" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I'm about to be flamed, but let me be real with you:

They're black and rich. America will love to see them fall.

I don't see how this is a race issue. :scratch:

ItalianStallion
10-21-2005, 08:30 PM
RandyMoss8404, I really think our running game and pass protection this year speaks for how valuable Birk is as a player, and leader, to this team.

Why is everyone on him for showing the leadership that Daunte should be showing?

Audioghost, I never claimed to be a "church-boy", although I do go to church :). I am a university student who enjoys going out partying as much as anyone, but I have never been arrested or been in court which is more than almost half of the members of this team can claim (and I'm not even talking about the boat incident). This crap has been going on too long.

In my opinion, a criminal is someone who blatently breaks the law, and at the very least, is caught doing it. Here are a few examples:

BENNETT, MICHAEL
Former Wisconsin running back Michael Bennett was formally charged with two misdemeanors Thursday in connection with an incident in which he allegedly kicked in a woman's door. Bennett, 22, was charged with criminal damage to property and unlawful use of a telephone, both misdemeanors, according to the Dane County District Attorney's office. If convicted of both charges, Bennett could face up to a year in jail and fines up to $10,000. Bennett was arrested last week for allegedly making several harassing phone calls to a woman in his apartment building and then kicking in her door causing more than $200 damage.

EDINGER, PAUL
7/01
Chicago Bears kicker Paul Edinger was charged Saturday with drunken driving after he crashed into mail boxes in a residential community. The 23-year-old player was arrested for driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident after police found his vehicle in Punta Gorda Isles, a residential neighborhood. Police said he crashed into three mail boxes before striking a large rock. He then backed up and drove away, before two flat tires forced him to stop.

HENDERSON, E.J.
9/01
Maryland's E.J. Henderson, the ACC Player of the Year, has been recharged with driving while under the influence of alcohol and driving while intoxicated, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.
(...not to mention the outside the bar brawl last season, where he, Mike Nattiel and Steve Farmer beat a man unconcious).

McKINNIE, BRYANT
6/02
Minnesota Vikings holdout offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie is being sued for allegedly attacking, beating and severely injuring a man this summer. The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Miami-Dade County, accused McKinnie and three others of beating up Anthony Sloan, 29, at a gas station in Miami on June 29. The lawsuit said McKinnie, without provocation, willfully and maliciously threatened, shouted obscenities at, assaulted, battered and struck Sloan numerous times in the head and body.
(...kinda reminds you of what happened this year at the gas station with Marcus?)

ROBINSON, KOREN
2/03
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Koren Robinson was arrested this weekend after refusing to leave the street outside a packed nightclub. Robinson, 22, was charged with failure to disperse.
(...not to mention, DUIs, and showing up to Jail drunk)

SMITH, ONTERRIO
8/01
A backup tailback on the University of Oregon football team was arrested early Wednesday outside an Autzen Stadium area apartment. Onterrio Raymond Smith, 20, a sophomore transfer student from Tennessee, was cited for driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving, driving with a suspended license and underage drinking, according to police records.
One of the Sacramento area's best-known young football players was arrested Saturday night for allegedly hitting the 18-year-old mother of his daughter during a dispute near a midtown street.
(not to mention being suspended for his THIRD violation of the MJ policy and whizzinator incident)

SMOOT, FRED
3/01
Mississippi State All-American cornerback Fred Smoot, who is expected to be an early round pick in this week's NFL draft, was arrested in March for marijuana possession. (...seems like a trend with NFL players)

WILLIAMS, KEVIN
11/03
Minnesota Vikings rookie defensive tackle Kevin Williams was arrested on a drunken driving charge, police said Monday. The Vikings' first-round choice in the 2003 draft was arrested by Edina police around midnight Thursday. Police said he registered 0.14 percent on a blood-alcohol test and was issued a tab charge for fourth-degree driving while intoxicated. Minnesota's legal limit is 0.10 percent.
(...not to mention his wife beating incident)

This isn't even counting the numerous players not with the team anymore, or crap that has happened in the pas couple years:

Kenny Mixon, Lorenzo Brommell, Kelly Campbell, Dale Carter, Cris Carter, Mike Nattiel, Steve Farmer, Jeff Christy, Randy Moss, Demitrius Underwood, Robert Tate, Orlando Thomas, etc.....

It seems like 75% of our team has been arrested for DUIs. But yah, it seems like Birk was wrong for condeming these wonderful citizens.

Hooversham
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
But.... but....but.... Italian. This stuff happens throughout the ENTIRE NFL ALL THE TIME! I mean, come on. :roll:

SamDawg84
10-21-2005, 08:40 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

RandyMoss8404, I really think our running game and pass protection this year speaks for how valuable Birk is as a player, and leader, to this team.

Why is everyone on him for showing the leadership that Daunte should be showing?

Audioghost, I never claimed to be a "church-boy", although I do go to church :). I am a university student who enjoys going out partying as much as anyone, but I have never been arrested or been in court which is more than almost half of the members of this team can claim (and I'm not even talking about the boat incident). This crap has been going on too long.

In my opinion, a criminal is someone who blatently breaks the law, and at the very least, is caught doing it. Here are a few examples:

BENNETT, MICHAEL
Former Wisconsin running back Michael Bennett was formally charged with two misdemeanors Thursday in connection with an incident in which he allegedly kicked in a woman's door. Bennett, 22, was charged with criminal damage to property and unlawful use of a telephone, both misdemeanors, according to the Dane County District Attorney's office. If convicted of both charges, Bennett could face up to a year in jail and fines up to $10,000. Bennett was arrested last week for allegedly making several harassing phone calls to a woman in his apartment building and then kicking in her door causing more than $200 damage.

EDINGER, PAUL
7/01
Chicago Bears kicker Paul Edinger was charged Saturday with drunken driving after he crashed into mail boxes in a residential community. The 23-year-old player was arrested for driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident after police found his vehicle in Punta Gorda Isles, a residential neighborhood. Police said he crashed into three mail boxes before striking a large rock. He then backed up and drove away, before two flat tires forced him to stop.

HENDERSON, E.J.
9/01
Maryland's E.J. Henderson, the ACC Player of the Year, has been recharged with driving while under the influence of alcohol and driving while intoxicated, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.
(...not to mention the outside the bar brawl last season, where he, Mike Nattiel and Steve Farmer beat a man unconcious).

McKINNIE, BRYANT
6/02
Minnesota Vikings holdout offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie is being sued for allegedly attacking, beating and severely injuring a man this summer. The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Miami-Dade County, accused McKinnie and three others of beating up Anthony Sloan, 29, at a gas station in Miami on June 29. The lawsuit said McKinnie, without provocation, willfully and maliciously threatened, shouted obscenities at, assaulted, battered and struck Sloan numerous times in the head and body.
(...kinda reminds you of what happened this year at the gas station with Marcus?)

ROBINSON, KOREN
2/03
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Koren Robinson was arrested this weekend after refusing to leave the street outside a packed nightclub. Robinson, 22, was charged with failure to disperse.

SMITH, ONTERRIO
8/01
A backup tailback on the University of Oregon football team was arrested early Wednesday outside an Autzen Stadium area apartment. Onterrio Raymond Smith, 20, a sophomore transfer student from Tennessee, was cited for driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving, driving with a suspended license and underage drinking, according to police records.
One of the Sacramento area's best-known young football players was arrested Saturday night for allegedly hitting the 18-year-old mother of his daughter during a dispute near a midtown street.
(not to mention being suspended for his THIRD violation of the MJ policy and whizzinator incident)

SMOOT, FRED
3/01
Mississippi State All-American cornerback Fred Smoot, who is expected to be an early round pick in this week's NFL draft, was arrested in March for marijuana possession. (...seems like a trend with NFL players)

WILLIAMS, KEVIN
11/03
Minnesota Vikings rookie defensive tackle Kevin Williams was arrested on a drunken driving charge, police said Monday. The Vikings' first-round choice in the 2003 draft was arrested by Edina police around midnight Thursday. Police said he registered 0.14 percent on a blood-alcohol test and was issued a tab charge for fourth-degree driving while intoxicated. Minnesota's legal limit is 0.10 percent.

This isn't even counting the numerous players not with the team anymore, or crap that has happened in the pas couple years:

Kenny Mixon, Lorenzo Brommell, Kelly Campbell, Dale Carter, Cris Carter, Mike Nattiel, Steve Farmer, Jeff Christy, Randy Moss, Demitrius Underwood, Robert Tate, Orlando Thomas, etc.....

It seems like 75% of our team has been arrested for DUIs. But yah, it seems like Birk was wrong for condeming these wonderful citizens.

Awesome post bro! :razz:

SamDawg84
10-21-2005, 08:43 PM
I agree with Birk and don't see why anyone else wouldn't.. Sure they like to have fun.. Keep it down.. Don't go driving around if ur drunk.. Sets a bad example.. Don't go rocking the ganj and go driving and speed and get busted for possesion.. Bad example.. Don't go kicking the shit outta people and break down doors.. I know I don't want to look up to things like that.. They are pros and should act like it on and off the field! Birk is a classy guy and glad he is with the Minnesota organization

CanadaViking
10-21-2005, 08:47 PM
STallion you are bang on!!! Some people on here sure out to lunch, eh!!

audioghost
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

BENNETT, MICHAEL

EDINGER, PAUL
7/01

HENDERSON, E.J.
9/01

McKINNIE, BRYANT
6/02

ROBINSON, KOREN
2/03

SMITH, ONTERRIO
8/01

SMOOT, FRED
3/01

WILLIAMS, KEVIN
11/03

You don't have to show me that....looks like you copied it from a previous post of mine....

SamDawg84
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

BENNETT, MICHAEL

EDINGER, PAUL
7/01

HENDERSON, E.J.
9/01

McKINNIE, BRYANT
6/02

ROBINSON, KOREN
2/03

SMITH, ONTERRIO
8/01

SMOOT, FRED
3/01

WILLIAMS, KEVIN
11/03

You don't have to show me that....looks like you copied it from a previous post of mine....

I didnt do that bro.. Stallion did :smile:

vikeU2
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Quote from Birk:

Sounds like you are assuming that Birk didn't talk to these guys individually. Let's assume he did talk to these guys AND he talked to the media...maybe he is doing what he feels will get this team back on line! Maybe he wasn't satisfied by the response he got from the players on the boat that we assume he spoke with...just maybe!

audioghost
10-21-2005, 09:07 PM
http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10835

So he copies my thing and everyone's like great post.....

When I do it I get responses like this:

So a lot of our guys have a record. So they may have done a little time. So what if Edinger likes to get sauced and do some urban off-roading. Tommy Karamer was a drunk and he was awesome, as long as that little man can kick the ball through the goal posts I could care less.
-smoot2boot

I don't even worry about the criminal records of players anymore. Believe me, the Vikes are not the only team to have players with a criminal record...I'd say every NFL team has someone with a criminal record.
-ltrey33

Worrying a little bit more about my post now, perhaps.....history repeats itself my friends...

all that stuff doesnt matter at all, its way to common now.
-CoreyChavous21

By the way, I appreciate the whole ganging up on me thing... :beathorse:
SCREW U GUYS, I'm going home...

audioghost
10-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Look, I just don't like the fact that Matt Birk seeks out attention for the guys who were actually on the boat....I think the Vikings have been told to be hush-hush about it until there is evidence (hard evidence) that they were there and involved and the individuals get named personally....that is why I don't like Birk "seeking out" media members.....especially national media, that just keeps this story a HUGE story for another 3 weeks and some of us fans are tired of hearing about it....he coulda talked to Mark Craig or a local guy, couldn't he? In other words, he is responsible for the big NATIONAL story in si, and that makes me mad....wish it coulda just been an article n the Star Trib.......

audioghost
10-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Wow ItallianStallian....Cris Carter was sure a criminal....he was the best EVER in a Vikings uniform :adore: , and as for calling them all criminals, wait until the investigation is over....just cuz someone has a record doesn't mean they're a criminal! Thats pretty harsh my friend....I'm sure you got a few skelatons in your closet!

V4L
10-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Audio those were actually posted many times.. I've seen them from like 5 other people.. But I see why u are mad..

Vikesfreak81
10-21-2005, 10:56 PM
CAN WE GET AN OFFICAL VIKING RAP SHEET

ultravikingfan
10-21-2005, 11:04 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

Wow ItallianStallian....Cris Carter was sure a criminal....he was the best EVER in a Vikings uniform :adore: , and as for calling them all criminals, wait until the investigation is over....just cuz someone has a record doesn't mean they're a criminal! Thats pretty harsh my friend....I'm sure you got a few skelatons in your closet!

At 2:07 you stated that you were going home.

But you kept posting?

:lol:

tampaviking
10-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry guys but Birk's the man, any center that stands up to a guy getting paid like Moss, is either stupid or someone who sticks to there guns and stands up for his team. Somebody had to say it wasn't right to walk out. he isn't a third stringer sitting around complaining he was the anchor of the offense, just go back and watch tape of him, he will call out where all the blitzes are coming from. and he backs up all his talk with his play. as far as him talking about wanting to leave the vikes. how many people here say they are disgusted with the team or that they suck. there's no chance they'll beat the pack. the coaches suck the players have no heart. bench DC. now imagine if you were in a locker room dealing with this everyday, i'm sure you might want a change of scenery too. lucky for all of us that Wilf changed his mind.

Ltrey33
10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10835

So he copies my thing and everyone's like great post.....

When I do it I get responses like this:

So a lot of our guys have a record. So they may have done a little time. So what if Edinger likes to get sauced and do some urban off-roading. Tommy Karamer was a drunk and he was awesome, as long as that little man can kick the ball through the goal posts I could care less.
-smoot2boot

I don't even worry about the criminal records of players anymore. Believe me, the Vikes are not the only team to have players with a criminal record...I'd say every NFL team has someone with a criminal record.
-ltrey33

Worrying a little bit more about my post now, perhaps.....history repeats itself my friends...

all that stuff doesnt matter at all, its way to common now.
-CoreyChavous21

By the way, I appreciate the whole ganging up on me thing... :beathorse:
SCREW U GUYS, I'm going home...

Hey brother, don't call me out unless you have something to call out. I didn't make any posts in this thread that would be "ganging up" on you, so you can just leave my name out of that.

audioghost
10-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Here's exactly why I didn't like what Birk did....knew it would happen sooner or later!!!:

From the Startribune:

Culpepper, Birk argue

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and injured center Matt Birk had a brief verbal exchange in the Vikings locker room Thursday afternoon, said people who witnessed it.

Culpepper confronted Birk about comments Birk made during an interview with a Sports Illustrated writer. In an SI.com story, Birk was quoted as saying he was tired of defending troubled teammates in public.

"Things like this just wear you out," Birk said, referring to sex party allegations. "It's frustrating because every two months we seem to have a scandal around here, and then the people involved decide they won't talk to the media. That leaves the rest of us, who aren't involved, to have to answer for them publicly, and it's not a whole lot of fun. But hey, some guys are just selfish. They don't think about anybody else."

Culpepper essentially told Birk to mind his own business, witnesses said. Birk reiterated his stance to Culpepper. No punches were thrown and the altercation never threatened to get physical, the witnesses said.

Birk declined to comment. Culpepper wasn't available.

audioghost
10-22-2005, 11:23 AM
What do u guys think?

Gotta keep the "in house" stuff "in house".

audioghost
10-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Oh, now all of a sudden it gets quiet! Figures....

ItalianStallion
10-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Well other teams may have players with similar histories, but I am willing to bet they actually enforce discipline on their football teams. Not to mention it seems like the Vikings have about 4 times as many of these type of players.

I'm not saying all those involved in the boat incident are criminals, but they show an extreme lack of judgement.

If someone with a record isn't a criminal, than who is? Don't they call it a "criminal" record?

audioghost
10-22-2005, 11:33 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Well other teams may have players with similar histories, but I am willing to bet they actually enforce discipline on their football teams. Not to mention it seems like the Vikings have about 4 times as many of these type of players.

I'm not saying all those involved in the boat incident are criminals, but they show an extreme lack of judgement.

If someone with a record isn't a criminal, than who is? Don't they call it a "criminal" record?

Umm...maybe someone who is IN JAIL, or ON PROBATION....or ON HOUSE ARREST....I have a parking ticket on my record, and a ticket for underage drinking that I got at a party in high school....guess I'm a criminal, right Stallion??

ultravikingfan
10-22-2005, 11:39 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Umm...maybe someone who is IN JAIL, or ON PROBATION....or ON HOUSE ARREST....I have a parking ticket on my record, and a ticket for underage drinking that I got at a party in high school....guess I'm a criminal, right Stallion??

I emailed the FBI.

Expect guys in black suits at your door any minute.

audioghost
10-22-2005, 11:44 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"audioghost" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I emailed the FBI.

Expect guys in black suits at your door any minute.

LOL...the FBI, thank god man, I thought you were gonna send the media....at least I won't get crucified and left for dead and humiliated....oh wait, I don't play for the Vikes....