PDA

View Full Version : Wilf has meeting

akvikefan89
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
ST. CLOUD - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf didn't hesitate to join in the celebration, singing a happy 90th birthday to Miff Johnson. He laughed at an Ole and Lena joke and had his picture taken, as celebrities do. Then came the questions.

When and how will he discipline players allegedly involved in the scandalous sex party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka? Does this affect the status of a new stadium? Should the players make a public apology for their actions? Could former Vikings coach Bud Grant succeed in today's environment?

His questioners included some of St. Cloud's top business and civic leaders who had gathered for their weekly Rotary Club meeting Tuesday, but at times they sounded like typical fans. Wilf, who initially planned to talk about stadium issues, shifted his focus and discussed his hopes to change the direction of a team by setting boundaries and fixing holes left by the previous ownership.

Wilf talked about adopting a code of conduct, which could include disciplinary measures. Before that happens, he said, he might consider benching players if they were involved in the sex party. The recent hiring of a security director will also help younger players who need advice on financial and other "everyday" issues, he said.

"This is not just a business," Wilf said. "This is an opportunity to lead 50 team members to be competitive on the field and model citizens off it."

St. Cloud was the last of three outstate cities that Wilf visited in the past 24 hours to spread his message, learn the state and get in touch with the fans. At Tuesday's meeting, he said he hoped to hear from Hennepin County sheriff's investigators in a week so he can determine whether any disciplinary action needs to be taken.

He joked that when the team was for sale, he didn't set out to be the Vikings' primary owner "so he wouldn't have to go through this and be a Monday morning quarterback. ... I realize the car we bought didn't have as much gas as I thought," Wilf said.

After Wilf's speech, Bill Winter, president of St. Cloud Federal Credit Union, said he was impressed with the Vikings owner. But fans want Wilf to act quickly on the cruise, Winter said. It will be at least a week before the investigation is complete, authorities say.

Craig Sauer, a former Vikings linebacker who is a real estate developer in St. Cloud, said that what is alleged to have happened on the two boats "is not good" and that he's glad Wilf is doing something about it. He's also glad his daughter isn't old enough to understand.

"Personally, I believe football players are role models to young men and women," he said. "I know if I get a DWI I'm going to end up in the sports pages because I was a Viking."

Waht is that part in bold supposed to mean? Maybe he is looking for a really old school coach?

Sounds like he is really looking to make a respected franchise :grin:

NordicNed
10-19-2005, 12:51 PM
These two statements alone tell me Wilf is going to be a speical kind of owener.

"This is not just a business," Wilf said. "This is an opportunity to lead 50 team members to be competitive on the field and model citizens off it."

He joked that when the team was for sale, he didn't set out to be the Vikings' primary owner "so he wouldn't have to go through this and be a Monday morning quarterback. ... I realize the car we bought didn't have as much gas as I thought," Wilf said.

Time to fill up that gas tank Wilf, and drive us to a Super Bowl Victory..

singersp
10-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Minnesota Vikings: Fans react positively to Zygi
By Frank Rajkowski
frajkowski@stcloudtimes.com

Minnesota Vikings players may be drawing boos as a result of their play on the field, and the alleged conduct of some of them off of it. But new team owner Zygi Wilf drew a positive reaction from those who heard him speak at a luncheon meeting of the St. Cloud Rotary Club Tuesday afternoon at the Radisson Hotel in downtown St. Cloud.
The Vikings are off to a 1-4 start this season, and the team has been rocked by stories of a bye-week cruise on the waters of Lake Minnetonka during which several played allegedly engaged in lurid conduct. Authorities are investigating the matter and the story has made headlines around the country.

Tuesday's visit was planned before news of the alleged "sex cruise" broke. Wilf, who purchased the team from former owner Red McCombs earlier this year, said he had planned to use the occasion to speak about the need for a new stadium.

Instead, he addressed the issue on the minds of many of the team's fans.

"We're trying to take the right steps and take this team in the right direction," Wilf said. "We're facing up to our responsibilities.

"I look at myself as a guardian of a storied franchise and a state institution. It's a responsibility I don't take lightly."

Those in attendance had a chance to ask Wilf questions following his talk and seemed to come away pleased with what they heard.

"From the beginning, I've been listening to his interviews and hearing stories about him," said local attorney John Hoefs. "I've thought him to be a man of principals and he lived up to my expectations.

"I liked what he had to say about supporting family values, and about working through problems the way you would in your own family. I think he's the right man for the job."

Dr. Carolyn Williams, associate dean of the College of Social Sciences at St. Cloud State University, had a similar reaction.

"I thought his talk was very good," said Williams, who discovered through talking with Wilf afterward that the two share ties to Elizabeth, N.J. "He brought up the things I think a team should be about. The players should be good role models off the field. He seems to have a really strong set of values."

Tim Wensman, president of the St. Cloud Rotary Club, said Tuesday's meeting drew a larger-than-normal crowd. Given the recent negative headlines, Wensman was not sure if Wilf would keep his commitment. He said it says a lot about the New Jersey real estate developer that he did.

"I questioned whether he would keep the date given everything that's happened and I'm very happy that he did," Wensman said. "It tells you a lot about Zygi's character and his long-term strategy for the team. He's not afraid to address adversity."

Wilf's speech was part of a two-day outstate swing that also saw him stop in Duluth and Rochester. Besides attending the team's training camp in Mankato, it was Wilf's first excursion into outstate Minnesota.

"We plan to do more of this," said Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs and stadium development. "He's only owned the team for four months and he's been pretty busy from the start of training camp until now. I don't know if this will be an annual thing. But it's a chance to get out and meet people, to listen to the fans."

Rotarian Craig Sauer, who played with the Atlanta Falcons and the Vikings over the course of his six-season NFL career, said it's important for Vikings team officials to connect with fans around the state.

"I think it's a great idea to have him come around," said Sauer, who sells real estate and helps coach football at St. Cloud Tech. "People need this. I think a lot of people came away from today feeling closer to the Vikings organization."

Such sentiment will prove important as Wilf continues to try and build support for a new stadium — a pitch he did not entirely abandon Tuesday.

"As I've found out lately, the Vikings represent Minnesota more than I could have ever imagined throughout the entire country," Wilf said. "There are bad times, and all loyal fans are embarrassed by them. But at the same time, we need them to pitch in and help strengthen the team when it needs it."

But Hoefs said he is not sure that now is the right time.

"I'd like to see us do a stadium," Hoefs said. "I favor one that will have a minimal impact to tax payers. I hope that it can be worked out before their lease expires at the Metrodome (in 2011).

"But I'm not sure this is the right time to move on that. It would be better to get the Vikings ship turned in the right direction, and to deal with the Gophers and Twins first. I think we have a little more time with the Vikings."

SWAYZE74
10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
yuppers...wilf seems to have his head on straight...the security dept. is a step in the right direction too...

peace...

V4L
10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Zygi is awesome.. Im extremly pleased with what he's done latley for us.. He cares alot about this and it's not just about money for him. Thank god we have an awesome owner

snowinapril
10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

ST. CLOUD - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf didn't hesitate to join in the celebration, singing a happy 90th birthday to Miff Johnson. He laughed at an Ole and Lena joke and had his picture taken, as celebrities do. Then came the questions.

His questioners included some of St. Cloud's top business and civic leaders who had gathered for their weekly Rotary Club meeting Tuesday, but at times they sounded like typical fans. Wilf, who initially planned to talk about stadium issues, shifted his focus and discussed his hopes to change the direction of a team by setting boundaries and fixing holes left by the previous ownership.

Wilf talked about adopting a code of conduct, which could include disciplinary measures. Before that happens, he said, he might consider benching players if they were involved in the sex party. The recent hiring of a security director will also help younger players who need advice on financial and other "everyday" issues, he said.

Craig Sauer, a former Vikings linebacker who is a real estate developer in St. Cloud, said that what is alleged to have happened on the two boats "is not good" and that he's glad Wilf is doing something about it. He's also glad his daughter isn't old enough to understand.

"Personally, I believe football players are role models to young men and women," he said. "I know if I get a DWI I'm going to end up in the sports pages because I was a Viking."

Sounds like he is really looking to make a respected franchise :grin:

I think you have to set the rules before chopping heads. There was no "Team Code of Conduct" before the party, hard to chop someones heaad off if you had no expectations of themselves. Also, to you and I benching of these players for their role in this sounds like a good idea. But if it is your best players, the other players in a team sport have a hard time understanding if they lose and their best player was able to play but wasn't allowed to play. Just one of those things.

Important for everyone to remember, even though you may think that these young men are so morally corrupted and that they can't behave, you first have to have expectations for them on a team level. Just because you had expectations of them persoanally, I did not see any of you sit down and explain that to them. Someone can't know about something that the haven't heard about. You are now saying, "but they should have known." Fact is, these guys come through college (party), get money, go to a rookie symposium for a few days, play football with a bunch of immature guys that are socially behind because they have been practicing, lifting and what ever else it takes to become a pro athlete from the time they were in high school all the way to the pros. You are talking about guys that make this their work 40 hours a week.

Sounds like Wilf is thinking more clearly now than last week. He is planning ahead. He is going to set boundaries, "code of conduct". He is going to do so for the same reason a parent sets boundaries, so he can make his kids(players) better for themselves in the long run. Sounds like that is what this security guy is going to do. The position that was not around during the Red Era. I will continue to say, this is a Red issue but Ziggy should have paid more attention when he bought the team, but that is just one of those learning experiences.

snowinapril
10-19-2005, 03:50 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Minnesota Vikings: Fans react positively to Zygi
By Frank Rajkowski
frajkowski@stcloudtimes.com

"I liked what he had to say about supporting family values, and about working through problems the way you would in your own family. I think he's the right man for the job."

Dr. Carolyn Williams, associate dean of the College of Social Sciences at St. Cloud State University, had a similar reaction.

"I thought his talk was very good," said Williams, who discovered through talking with Wilf afterward that the two share ties to Elizabeth, N.J. "He brought up the things I think a team should be about. The players should be good role models off the field. He seems to have a really strong set of values."

"I questioned whether he would keep the date given everything that's happened and I'm very happy that he did," Wensman said. "It tells you a lot about Zygi's character and his long-term strategy for the team. He's not afraid to address adversity."

Rotarian Craig Sauer, who played with the Atlanta Falcons and the Vikings over the course of his six-season NFL career, said it's important for Vikings team officials to connect with fans around the state.

"I think it's a great idea to have him come around," said Sauer, who sells real estate and helps coach football at St. Cloud Tech. "People need this. I think a lot of people came away from today feeling closer to the Vikings organization."

Smoothing things out.

Are you going to fire your brother from the family when he F's up at the next family outing? Are you going to tell your son to get the hell out cuase he didn't follow that rule that you forgot to tell him about.

I like that line about working through this like it was a problemin your family. Totally puts it into perspective for me.

People learn by examples and by what is acceptable from the people around them. These guys have been lacking leadership from this team on and off the field.

singersp
10-20-2005, 02:23 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Sounds like that is what this security guy is going to do. The position that was not around during the Red Era. I will continue to say, this is a Red issue but Ziggy should have paid more attention when he bought the team, but that is just one of those learning experiences.

The position WAS around during the "Red Era", but 'Ol Red eliminated the position. Do you think it had anything to do with saving money? :twisted:

gregair13
10-20-2005, 02:56 AM
we already are one of the least repected franchises. the party on the boat only pushed us farther away.

V4L
10-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Tru dat Gregair.. We are pushing for the least respected title.. Right up there with the Raiders!

enlvikeman
10-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Jerry Burns!

ultravikingfan
10-20-2005, 06:14 AM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

Jerry Burns!

sucked!

:razz:

singersp
10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Sid Hartman: Wilf says Vikings were 'mess' at time he purchased team
Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
Last update: October 20, 2005 at 5:41 AM

Zygi Wilf, new owner of the Vikings, said he inherited a mess with an underpaid coaching staff, and the entire operation was understaffed when he purchased the team from Red McCombs.

Wilf met with Paul Tagliabue in Chicago on Sunday, and the NFL commissioner advised him to add to the team personnel.

Wilf previously had decided that the coaching staff needed more help and added Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio.

"This operation was a mess," Wilf said Wednesday. "The owner never spent much time here, didn't make the coaches, the players and staff feel right, and we plan to operate this franchise like a family."

McCombs was not available for comment Wednesday.

Tagliabue already has praised Wilf for his presence in Minnesota and being on top of everything.

On the recommendation of Tagliabue and Breck Spinner, Vikings director of operations, Wilf has added a director of security in former FBI agent Dag Sohlberg.

"I've tried for seven years to get McCombs to add a security chief without progress," Spinner said.

The next move Wilf plans to make is to hire a director of personnel, a person with knowledge of players in the NFL, who would work with Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

"This person would not be a general manager," Wilf said. "But somebody who knows the league."

Wilf said he believes that because of the frugal way McCombs operated, with the lowest-paid head coach in the league and a coaching staff that ranked on the bottom in payroll, that Mike Tice never has had a real chance to put a winning team on the field.

The facts are that McCombs inherited a team that was way over the salary cap and had to cut it down, but once that was accomplished, the Vikings operated year after year $10 million or more under the salary cap.

Wilf does agree with McCombs that owners can't buy a winning team in the NFL the way New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner does in baseball.

"The NFL's goal is to have parity and they accomplish it," Wilf said.

But unlike McCombs, look for Wilf to agree to signing some blue-chip free agents if Wilf believes those particular players would help the Vikings compete.

To McCombs' credit, the Vikings came within one victory of the Super Bowl twice under his ownership. But since that one-sided loss in January 2001 to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game, and with the club for sale, I don't believe a good effort was made to spend the money necessary to put a top team on the field.

Randy Moss had to be traded so the team could save $7.5 million in salary cap space so the Vikings could sign free agents such as Fred Smoot, Pat Williams and Darren Sharper.

Wilf denied using any vulgar language in his recent meeting with the players, as reported by the Sports Illustrated.

Viking chaplain Tom Lamphere said he was at meeting and verified that statement. "In fact I complimented Mr. Wilf after the meeting," Lamphere said.

This I thought was a great article with the exception of the "had to trade" to save salary cap space statement.

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
It sounds like to me Wilf may not be wanting to let Tice go.

If Tice can manage some composure and even some wins, sounds like if Wilf likes him he may be around for a while.

singersp
10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

If Tice can manage some composure and even some wins, sounds like if Wilf likes him he may be around for a while.

That was my take on it. It also sounded to me like, as it should be, the "reject staff" will be gone & replaced with a qualified top-notch staff.

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

That was my take on it. It also sounded to me like, as it should be, the "reject staff" will be gone & replaced with a qualified top-notch staff.

Yep I got that impression as well.

I'm not convinced Tice would be so bad if he actually had some quality supporting cast.

whackthepack
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I think it is spin myself!

Wilf is saying that, and it is true! But I think at the end of the season Tice is gone, there is just to much baggage and I think he will make a clean sweep and get new personal.

singersp
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I also believe that Tice is so wrapped up in trying to assist & correct the problems that these "reject" coaches are causing & taking on so much, that he's spread dangerously thin, preventing him from concentrating 100% on his role!

Furthermore, Wilf is a very intelligent man & has talked with advisors & consultants and If he says Tice stays, he's got faith in him and reasons to back it up.

I've also read where Bud himself has said that Tice is coaching the way he should be.

I'm 100% behind whatever Wilf decides. He's got a lot more inside info than anyone here has, 'cept maybe Jackyl.

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I have said all along I think Ted Cottrell is a major factor to our lack of success. It is OBVIOUS that the lack of a real offensive cordinator has hurt us as well.

The biggest problem I have ever had with Tice was the way he was hired and in all honestly that is more Red's fault then his own. Tice has 11 games to make an impression. I don't neccisarily mean on the football field either. If Wilf is convinced Red is to blame then he can excuse the poor performance and get Tice the help he needs.

Cords need to make game time changes, they need to make many changes throughout the game. It evolves as the two teams try to counter one another. I think out staff is not capable of making those changes during a game. Given a week they can put together a great half of a game, but when the other team reacts we do not react back. It's ugly and that is not a reflection of the gorilla himself.

snowinapril
10-20-2005, 05:12 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I think it is spin myself!

Wilf is saying that, and it is true! But I think at the end of the season Tice is gone, there is just to much baggage and I think he will make a clean sweep and get new personal.

I agree, it was just a statement of facts.

Tice's job isn't safe. If it was, they would be working out details for a contract extension right now. You wouldn't keep him hanging. You wouldn't have him go on as the LAME DUCK coach. If the players know he is going to be around, they might have more accountability for their play. If you want him, sign him, don't leave it hang.

I realize that Cowher had some tough times, not quite as tough as Tice, but Cowher worked through it and is doing great right now. He is also the longest tenured coach I think. Do we want to waait until Tices 10th or 13th year as HC to get him respectable???

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Why would they spin it in favor of Tice? I mean have you seen anything possitive written or said about him in the last 2 months? Anywhere?

If coupled with the statement that Tice's job is secure for the season and the statements are accurate I really think he could be wearing the headset again.

I just don't see why a 180 on the media's part

tarkenton10
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Snow in april - I would rather sit our best player and let the team know that a certain conduct is not acceptable from anyone, than win a game. I am not worried about one game but a season, a championship, a franchise. If these guys are that stupid that didn't know that what they did was wrong then they are too stupid to be on this team and should be traded. And they aren't that stupid, they know what they did was wrong otherwise they would be talking to the media. Not running for cover and denying they were on the boat.

I hope Zygie takes a hard stand and lets these players know they had better start concentrating on football or they won't play for the Vikings. These guys need to get their head out their arses and make some plays on the field.

And by the way how pathetic are these guys, they are NFL players and they have to pay for women to come on board and show them a good time. Even people like Cajun can do that!! J/K Cajun!!! :)

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I think sometimes it's easy to forget that these icons, these material things that we feel a need to posses in some way, are actually people.

With people comes baggage, where they were raised, what they have gone through. A lot of these guys are young.

I don't care about the boat, the only thing that bugs me is the negative attention it had given the team as a whole. If Wilf wants to be an asshole and get rid of some people then I would think less of him as an owner.

Why not make a plan and then punish if they do not obey the plan. He took over an unguided, mislead group of young men. If he acts to quickly to appease some of the fans who are outraged it would be a damn shame.

singersp
10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

...And they aren't that stupid, they know what they did was wrong otherwise they would be talking to the media. Not running for cover and denying they were on the boat.

They have been instructed by upper management not to discuss the incident with the media. they are not running for cover as you say.

It will all come out when the investigation is over & the facts are out.

The problem is people want to know the facts NOW! NOW! NOW! and can't be patient until it does.

jimmymac
10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I like Tice. As far as I can see he is innocent in this whole deal.

It's some of the players that have to go. Especially Culpepper.

Go Viks!!!

singersp
10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

I like Tice. As far as I can see he is innocent in this whole deal.

It's some of the players that have to go. Especially Culpepper.

Go Viks!!!

Do you have any proof that Dante did anything wrong on the boat? Because no one else seems too. Until you do, it's not worth discussing.

jimmymac
10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
This has nothing to do with anything Culpepper did or didn't do on the boat. Culpepper is not a leader and not a good QB. Get a new QB/leader.

Why's everyone anti-Tice?

singersp
10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
"jimmymac" wrote:

This has nothing to do with anything Culpepper did or didn't do on the boat. Culpepper is not a leader and not a good QB. Get a new QB/leader.

Why's everyone anti-Tice?

OK, I miss understood you by your comment of Tice being innocent in this whole deal. Everyone is not anti-Tice, like myself. But I'm sure anti-Red. I think we all pretty much agree on that.

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 08:33 PM
I think a lot of people are not high on Tice because he has done less with the talent he had then most teams.

And Culpepper is not going anywhere for a long time so sit back and cringe buddy. That contract is way too huge to move. You won't get rid of an ex pro-bowl QB with nothing in return.

singersp
10-20-2005, 09:36 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think a lot of people are not high on Tice because he has done less with the talent he had then most teams.

And Culpepper is not going anywhere for a long time so sit back and cringe buddy. That contract is way too huge to move. You won't get rid of an ex pro-bowl QB with nothing in return.

And probably has done more with the less talent he's had on his coaching staff then most teams!

Del Rio
10-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Well I don't know for most of his time at the helm he had a top tier offense and never got anything going. The teams always choked after a great start.

It refelects on the Head Coach. It might not ALL be his fault, but this is sports people don't take the time to think things through they just read SI and listen to ESPN and if they say it then by God it must be true.

snowinapril
10-20-2005, 10:21 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Snow in april - I would rather sit our best player and let the team know that a certain conduct is not acceptable from anyone, than win a game. I am not worried about one game but a season, a championship, a franchise. If these guys are that stupid that didn't know that what they did was wrong then they are too stupid to be on this team and should be traded. And they aren't that stupid, they know what they did was wrong otherwise they would be talking to the media. Not running for cover and denying they were on the boat.

I hope Zygie takes a hard stand and lets these players know they had better start concentrating on football or they won't play for the Vikings. These guys need to get their head out their arses and make some plays on the field.

And by the way how pathetic are these guys, they are NFL players and they have to pay for women to come on board and show them a good time. Even people like Cajun can do that!! J/K Cajun!!! :)

I am not sure exactly which post you were refering too, but I think you were addressing something that I didn't make clear.

All I was saying is that strong leadership and a system of teaching is better than NONE at all. For example, I have worked in a few large work force environments. Imagine the "Office"(tv show) with 3 times the employees. Well, do you know how many inservices I have had to sit through on office conduct. Once was too many for me, but some people need that reminder EVERY YEAR, even then, a few jack jiggley butts still screw up and cross the line. The thing that these players have to have drilled through there head is when you sign a contract and are earning that much money in a public forum, you are always on the job. It is actually the opposite of our work. They can get away with more at work than we can but when they aren't at work, that is where their conduct is important.

The thing that Wilf was saying is that he wants to put a system in place to help these guys succeed. He can choose to educate or just give them the axe. He was talking about financial success and personal success. I don't think that he gives up on the bad players. There may be a suspension or two handed down and then the learning tools can be implemented.

All I am still saying, if you don't let people know what conduct they should be doing, the learn bad thing and this shit multiplies until it gets out of control. Well, it did. This has been a tradition for three years now, the Bye Week Party that is. It escalated out of control, a few idiots probably crossed way over the line. Give them a punishment, put a strike down against them, and keep them on the team. Put a teaching tool in place to discourage this from ever happening again. If you want a classy organization, you have to think of these things before they happen, you can't just expect adults with money and a juvennile mental capacity to act like adults unless you teach them the way to do it.

The reason why ofices put people though these training courses is not to better the employee, it is to help them from getting sued and putting it back on the individuals. But, it sounds like Wilf wants this to be more of a Family type of environment where the organization cares about the players and the players inturn care about the organization, a win win environment.

Now Onterio, that guy needs to be cut. He has his 3 strikes. Three times with the NFL and on civil lawsuit for conduct unbecoming of the team. That guy needs to go.

snowinapril
10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
The one thing you and I don't keep in the forefront of our average joe brains, is the fact that athletes are different. They are idolized, gives them a false sense of reality. They have gotten away with stuff and have been let by on ocassions, whether it be grades or someting more severe. They see other athletes get away with these things. In their world a lot of what would be considered wrong in our world, isn't that bad. The lessons they learn are different than the social lesson that you and I learn in our everyday lives.

The NFL does the rookie symposium for this reason. They want to educate the players on some of these issues. But what I am saying is it has to be ongoing. Just like it is in our everyday lives, at work.

It sounds like I am making an excuse for the players, but I am simply advocating that it is a QUALITY Organization that will go the extra step and do such a program. It only makes sense. Once you inservice these players with this course, then the rules are clear cut and when they are broken, you can have set consequences and at a certain point, just say bye bye.

The reason why this is not a common practice is people have been turning a blind eye on the athletes for a very very long time. If you set rules and conduct, you have to follow through with it. Then if your star gets introuble, you have to do something about it. Owneres don't want to have to do anything in that situation.

snowinapril
10-21-2005, 12:06 AM
If typing a lot will put an end to a thread, there are plenty of threads I should be typing a lot of info into.

VikingMike
10-21-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm not convinced Tice would be so bad if he actually had some quality supporting cast.

Tice has always reminded me of a young Parcells...can really break some chops in an attempt to motivate the players. But it's pretty evident that Parcells is only able to do well when he has a good staff (Bellichick, Fox, Weis, etc.).

And Red definitely handcuffed the Vikes with his stingy attitude. Good article by Jimmy Johnson of all people about the lack of spending hurting the Vikings. I'll post it if I can find it.

One thing about Tice though...he should stop looking at these palyers "as an extension of his family". They're not his family...what they need is a head coach.

http://hometown.aol.com/mcmlvi88/images/alan%20page.jpg