PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Candidates?

JLDII
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
As long as we all pretty much agree that we should have a new head coach, be it today, or after the season, who would you think would be good candidates for the position?

I've heard mentioned here on P.P.O.:

Pete Carrol
Jim Fassel
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Ditka
Scott Linehan
Jeff Fisher

I'd like to add:

Monte Kiffin
Mack Brown (U of Texas)
??? Can't remember the name..O coordinator from Indy.

Who else?

finnishvikingsfan
10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
The guy from Iowa. I cant think of his name he is the head coach of the Iowa.

simonsparre
10-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Dan Reeves, if Charlie Weis misses NFL he would be the right chouce..

i hope Linehan will take over, but Reeves and Weis would be great coaches too..

Vikesfreak81
10-17-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm going to say Mike Singletary - Asst. Head coach and Def. cordinator for the 49ers, the only bright spot on there team is there defense. plus he worked in Balt. with Billeck and there D.

If Barry Alverez from Wisconsin has an itch, he may not be bad, he is stepping down as coach after this year.

arialassault84
10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Petet Carroll
Jeff Fisher
Jim Johnson (eagles)
Monte Kiffin

JLDII
10-17-2005, 10:02 PM
"JLDII" wrote:

As long as we all pretty much agree that we should have a new head coach, be it today, or after the season, who would you think would be good candidates for the position?

I've heard mentioned here on P.P.O.:

Pete Carrol
Jim Fassel
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Ditka
Scott Linehan
Jeff Fisher

I'd like to add:

Monte Kiffin
Mack Brown (U of Texas)
??? Can't remember the name..O coordinator from Indy.

Who else?

O coordinator from Indy.....Tom Moore!

COJOMAY
10-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Jimmy Johnson

fred3105
10-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Pete Carrol wont leave USC.
Barry Alveraz is the athletic director of Wisconsin next year.
Kirk Ferentz is the guy from Iowa and I doubt he would leave either.

GreenBaySlackers
10-17-2005, 10:26 PM
if we could steal him away from Ohio state, do you guys think tressel would make a good HC in the NFL? I especially want to hear Fred's opinion on this, as i view him as a college footbal conasieur.

TheViking
10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

The guy from Iowa. I cant think of his name he is the head coach of the Iowa.

Kirk Ferentz

Webby
10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I nominate Del Rio!!!

LuckyVike
10-17-2005, 10:34 PM
One word... I've said it before... DITKA.

vikeU2
10-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Ya know what...I like the idea of Del Rio, too! But I'm also of a mind that we need someone NOW, not at the end of the season, so why not Iron Mike Ditka! He'll kick some collective butt and make some if not most of these boys accountable!

EJOlson9973
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Not only Ditka, but a whole new coaching staff.

vikeU2
10-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Open the wallet and get some quality in Ziggy!

thepacksux
10-17-2005, 11:20 PM
it will be interesting to see who coaches, i personally think fassell will be our coach with zygi being a ny guy. i would like to see jimmy johnson personally.

mrviking28
10-17-2005, 11:42 PM
"fred3105" wrote:

Pete Carrol wont leave USC.
Barry Alveraz is the athletic director of Wisconsin next year.
Kirk Ferentz is the guy from Iowa and I doubt he would leave either.

Kirk may leave Iowa because his son is the center and he is a senior this year. This guy would bring a lot of stability.

Salzy
10-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I see a man. He is in a purple sweater. His name, DITKA!. Da Vikes!

finnishvikingsfan
10-17-2005, 11:45 PM
I dont want Carroll, Hassell or Alveraz. I would like Mike Singaltary maybe he would get the guys to see what it really was like to play in this division. Maybe some magical way the Lions would get rid of Mooch and we could get him. :grin:

fred3105
10-17-2005, 11:51 PM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

if we could steal him away from Ohio state, do you guys think tressel would make a good HC in the NFL? I especially want to hear Fred's opinion on this, as i view him as a college footbal conasieur.I dont really know because you really cant offer the pros cars, jobs, and free grades to play hard for you. I really dont know much about him as a coach although he did loose the Texas game by switching his QBs way to much. I really cant think of any coaches I would like to be the Vikings head coach. I think the only way Pete Carrol would leave college is if you had the #1 and you promised to draft Lienhart.

ultravikingfan
10-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Carroll has a great gig as it is...he is not giving that up for the mediocrity of the NFL.

I am going to contact Wilf. My team is 5-0 and has outscored our opponents in the last 5 games 140-0!

If I can get 8 and 9 year olds to perform, grown men will be easy! :wink:

Webby
10-17-2005, 11:59 PM
"vikeU2" wrote:

Ya know what...I like the idea of Del Rio, too! But I'm also of a mind that we need someone NOW, not at the end of the season, so why not Iron Mike Ditka! He'll kick some collective butt and make some if not most of these boys accountable!

I believe Del Rio is available. He might want a change of pace from Utah.

At least these hosers would get their priorities straight! :grin:

midgensa
10-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Guys we have no shot at that are commonly mentioned: Pete Carroll, Charlie Weiss, Jimmy Johnson and Tom Coughlin. None of them would leave their current gigs for our mess. The Notre Dame and USC positions are 10x the Vikings head coach spot.
JJ likes the sun and Coughlin would not leave the Giants for our mess. Other names that I really hope not include Ditka (never won with an average or good team, only one once with an amazing team) and Jim "as old as a" Fassel.
I do like Kiffin, Ferentz, Fisher and my personal favorite Linehan.

ultravikingfan
10-18-2005, 12:13 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"vikeU2" wrote:

I believe Del Rio is available. He might want a change of pace from Utah.

At least these hosers would get their priorities straight! :grin:

Uh, I'll put my record against Del's anyday! :lol:

5-0!!!
Outscored opponents 140-18
4 consecutive shutouts
4 first downs allowed in last 4 games!

Del Rio
10-18-2005, 12:18 AM
The only thing I have going on my team is we are #1 defense in the entire state. We have one game left if we win we tie for region. Considering the obstacles these guys had to go through I am proud of them.

I start coaching at University of Utah in 3 months or so as an assistants assistant LMAO......

Ultra would make a very good coach for the Vikings. :grin: His team could probably take out the 49ers I bet!

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Pete Carroll is a great college coach....Why come to the Vikings when all is said and done maybe he could go down in history as the greatest college coach of all time. the guy is worshiped in So. California.....Another thing he sucked complete a$$ as an NFL Coach with his RA RA kid like attitude.....Sid loves him but he should stay at USC.......

Zygi will choose Linehan if he can't get a big name because that is what will work well with Daunte.......Unless by some stretch they let him go because of the Boat Trip Fiasco.....But you have to ask yourself about Daunte; participant or watcher......That will also determine what goes on with the on the field face of the franchise......

ultravikingfan
10-18-2005, 12:22 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

Pete Carroll is a great college coach....Why come to the Vikings when all is said and done maybe he could go down in history as the greatest college coach of all time. the guy is worshiped in So. California.....Another thing he sucked complete a$$ as an NFL Coach with his RA RA kid like attitude.....Sid loves him but he should stay at USC.......

I agree. Plus, there is a lot more security in college football. And if you are good, you will keep getting the good recruits!

COJOMAY
10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Gads, the way Joe Vitt is coaching the Rams to a 17-0 lead over the Colts in the absence of Martz, maybe we should look at him.

V4L
10-18-2005, 04:57 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

Zygi will choose Linehan if he can't get a big name because that is what will work well with Daunte.......Unless by some stretch they let him go because of the Boat Trip Fiasco.....But you have to ask yourself about Daunte; participant or watcher......That will also determine what goes on with the on the field face of the franchise......

I like Carroll.. Bring him over here.. Bring Bush while were at it too! :lol:

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Does anyone else want to punch their computer every time they see a picture of Tice?

Mr. Purple
10-18-2005, 05:07 AM
I'm going to say Mike Singletary - Asst. Head coach and Def. cordinator for the 49ers, the only bright spot on there team is there defense. plus he worked in Balt. with Billeck and there D.

-vikesfreak81-

couldnt have said it better, or phillys D coordinator with a New OC.

ConnecticutViking
10-18-2005, 05:25 AM
How about Brad Childress...Offensive Coordinator for the Eagles. Developed McNabb and worked in T.O. Remember, this team had no talent for a long time and they still scored points.

SamDawg84
10-18-2005, 05:28 AM
kiffin or saunders! like i have been saying for a long time they are awesome coaches and understand football.. I wish we could get either of them!

viks_fan21
10-18-2005, 05:46 AM
all of them sound good now.

collegeguyjeff
10-18-2005, 05:52 AM
mack, weis, or carroll

DarrinNelsonguy
10-18-2005, 06:13 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

-vikesfreak81-

couldnt have said it better, or phillys D coordinator with a New OC.

Couldn't agree more with the choice of Singletary, and if we don't get him lets get Childress from Philly. Although the rumors are that Linehan could come back. Heard today from a friend that we should hire Mr. CC as a coach and I must admit at first it sounded ridiculous but the idea is kind of growing on me. Although I would rather see us getting someone with some coaching experience in the league in some capacity.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Say, would you want Herm Edwards if he was available?

finnishvikingsfan
10-18-2005, 06:17 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

I would he is a decent coach. I would still like Singletary or Childress.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Singletary; curious what kind of staff would he bring ex-Bears?

SWAYZE74
ferentz aint goin anywhere..he just got a huge extension and his son is still in high school and he and his wife dont want to move him...

ditka...yeah...as long as he brings buddy ryan and that 4-6 with him...

my guess..fassel...

peace...

ultravikingfan
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

mack, weis, or carroll

Why do people keep bringing-up Carroll and Weiss?

There is much more security in college ball. Carroll has a great thing going, really great. Why would he leave to accept a job with no security. (Steve Spurrier?)

And Weiss, he just got to Notre Dame and he probably wants to set a mark there too. Why would he leave? He just got there and is turning that program around.

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 06:24 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

I would take Edwards. I like coaches with NFL experience, how many college caoches have come up from college and done really well? I honestly don't know, but I can't thin of any right off the bat. Get Edwards and good Offensive and defensive coordinators. Loney, Cottrel, and Tice are probably done.

DarrinNelsonguy
10-18-2005, 06:32 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

mack, weis, or carroll

Why do people keep bringing-up Carroll and Weiss?

There is much more security in college ball. Carroll has a great thing going, really great. Why would he leave to accept a job with no security. (Steve Spurrier?)

And Weiss, he just got to Notre Dame and he probably wants to set a mark there too. Why would he leave? He just got there and is turning that program around.

Exactly my thought ultra, they are having too much success in college to think about the pros.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 06:33 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

I would take Edwards. I like coaches with NFL experience, how many college caoches have come up from college and done really well? I honestly don't know, but I can't thin of any right off the bat. Get Edwards and good Offensive and defensive coordinators. Loney, Cottrel, and Tice are probably done.

Let's see; Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Jeff Fisher, Dennis Green - oops,
That's about all I can remember at the moment.....

DarrinNelsonguy
10-18-2005, 06:35 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

You forgot about Bill Walsh he had a good run in college as well.

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 06:35 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

Okay, so there have been some. But is there any really good prospects looking to move up? I haven't heard of any. I like Edwards, is there a good chance he's losing his job? I haven't heard anything...

finnishvikingsfan
10-18-2005, 06:36 AM
A lot of the college head coaches move on to the NFL to be an asst. coach. Then they move on to be a head coach.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Well you know how New York is, he is 2-4 right now and the Media is eating him up, up there...With all those injuries I don't think he lasts the season.

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 06:40 AM

A lot of the college head coaches move on to the NFL to be an asst. coach. Then they move on to be a head coach.

So is there any college coaches that would make a good Offensive or Defensive coordinator that want to move to the NFL?

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 06:41 AM

Yes, but I think akvikefan meant directly from a head coach in College to head coach NFL.

FuadFan
10-18-2005, 06:45 AM
I don't know that I do know that I hope we do not get Fassel the guy was a horrible head coach and if he can't fix the Baltimore offense as their offensive coordinator I don't want him anywhere near the Vikings franchise.

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 06:46 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

Yes, but I think akvikefan meant directly from a head coach in College to head coach NFL.

Yes I did.

Mr. Purple
10-18-2005, 07:03 AM
would I take herm edwards as a coach, hmm let me think, MY DEAR GOD YES! First off Herm is my favorite NFL coach currently. The guy runs a tight ship and I LOVE the way he coaches, only problem is New York isnt gonna let him go. I'd like to see kiffin in here but hes a HUGE part of the bucs and I cannot see the bucs letting him go.

FuadFan
10-18-2005, 07:05 AM
THe problem I would have with the choices for coordinators is I want to see us get guys that will be around long enough to get a good system in. I feel that years ago when we had O'Leary as our coordinator it set back our defense he was never comitted to staying in the NFL he just wanted a college job. I hope if we bring in new offensive and defensive coordinators they are good smart people who we can count on to stay and help the team come together.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 07:16 AM
How old is Kiffin?

ultravikingfan
10-18-2005, 07:19 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

How old is Kiffin?

62 I think.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Yes, that's what I thought career Coordinator.....Isn't his son an assistant on USC? Offensive Coordinator? Quarterback Coach? Something like that..

JLDII
10-18-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm starting to wonder which I would rather have.

1.) A veteran coach and coordinators that everyone knows and are familiar with. Guys who's reputations preceed them and who's coaching tendencies are pretty well know around the league. Guys that have been around the block a couple times so to say.

or

2.) A "new breed" coach and coordinator team who aren't well known from their NFL experience, but are/were highly respected college coaches. Maybe they have some experience, and are liked and respected in the league, but still relative unknowns. Basically, like Mora and his staff in Atlanta. I've been impressed with what he and his staff have done down there. Many people in the NFL see them as an indication of what the "new breed" of coaches are going to be in this league.

Much of that decision will be based on who Zygi puts in as G.M.

It sure would be sweet if he could find a G.M. with the same sense of talent that McKay has shown down in Atlanta though.

DeathtoDenny
10-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Ziggy should pay whatever it costs for Dungy HC, Linnehan OC and Monty Kiffin DC, and get this girl just for her name to do various jobs around the dome http://www.buccaneers.com/cheerleaders/cheerleaderdetail.aspx?id=16&list=cheerleader

akvikefan89
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Dungy just got a big contract extension.

cajunvike
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
At this point, ANYBODY who can get us a win!!!

hawaiianvike21
10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I'd want jeff fisher, a proven head coach who can get the job done. I dont want to start from scratch all over again by selecting some coordinatoor or college head coach again. That will probably take awhile for the new coach to adapt to everything and could be mike tice part 2. I mean look how long tice has been with us as head coach......4 years or so and he still dont have a clue how to coach, gameplan and make adjustments when necessary.

Get someone whose already coached in this league, dont start all over and wait for a collge head coach or coordinatoor. The growing process would take a little too long.

NordicNed
10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Even though I don't think he would ever coach again, I'de like to see Jimmy Johnson...

But Fisher would be a good choice also....

Hey, how about getting Bud Grant to come out of the office?..

I wonder if he would still have the same impact now adays as he did during his hay days.....

GreenBaySlackers
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
when this thread is at the end of its life, i think we should print it up and mail it to zygi...

skum
10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Defence wins games.. Offense sells tickets..

Lets get a defenceguy..

Here a stats..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2005/regular?sort_col_1=4

Any chance you think of getting a coach out of the top 5/10 as HC..

DEEP PURPLE
10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I think sending this thread to the front office would be a great idea.

The more and more I look at him and what he's done, I like Gregg Williams (DC Redskins) He has a good track record as a coordinator, and had a solid D as HC in Buffalo, in a bad situation. If he can stand up to an amazing talent like Arrington and still have a top 5 Defense, I think he could do the job.

JLDII
10-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Who was Williams D coordinator when he was in Buffalo??

SKOL
10-18-2005, 06:37 PM
I've read that Brian Billick may be available after this year. He would be a popular choice.