PDA

View Full Version : Will Mike Tice be Head Coach of the Vikings Next Week?

PurpleMafia
10-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Lets cut to the chase here. I dont care how he gets out, if he even does. I just want to know if we will have a new coach by next weeks game.

What do all of you think?

ultravikingfan
10-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Yes. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/poundon.gif

Webby
10-17-2005, 06:07 AM
No. I think Wilf has heard from the wisemen of the NFL that says you don't dump coaches midseason, it helps nothing.

Much suffering I fear.

WBLVikeBabe
10-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Oh wow what a surprise another Tice thread!

ultravikingfan
10-17-2005, 06:09 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

No. I think Wilf has heard from the wisemen of the NFL that says you don't dump coaches midseason, it helps nothing.

Much suffering I fear.

So, do you mean "Yes"? http://deephousepage.com/smilies/bangdesk.gif

Mr. Purple
10-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Next week? yes, Next season? No.

SharperVikings
10-17-2005, 06:13 AM
lets wait till after the cheese head game, its only 5 weeks in, we have 11 weeks left!

edlantis
10-17-2005, 06:13 AM
Nothing personal, but what exactly is Wilf preventing by NOT firing Tice? A playoff run??? Let's face it, this season can only be defined as complete Chaos. It's like a giant earthquake has struck and we are just shaking apart...coaching, players, ethics & morality, heart, hope, etc., etc. Leadership is gone, Respect is gone, Hope is gone...The only hope we have this season is to really shake things up before we fans start turning on the ownership and question whether they have what it takes to run this team! I know, I am starting to have my doubts...

DaunteHOF
10-17-2005, 06:20 AM
wilf just came in and he's being a nice guy, fire this asshole, hiring scott linehan as head coach and lets move on

Deadly_Diabetic
10-17-2005, 06:20 AM
The problem is that mid-season coaching changes RARELY work and haven't worked since the new era of advanced offensive and defensive systems. Additionally, the pool of coaches available is next to nothing in the middle of the year. So, if you change now not only do you scuttle the remainder of the current season but probably the next one because of the limited number of quality personnel. Better to wait out the season, bring in someone good and try to install their system over the off season through camps. I know it hurts but we've just got to suffer through it for the better of the team.

-DD

SKOL
10-17-2005, 06:25 AM
The problem is, the team seams to have lost faith in Tice. To be honest it wouldn't hurt anything to fire Tice and hire an interim..., possbly Cottrell?

If it's this bad coming off the bye, I can't imagine what the rest of the season holds. I'll be at the game next week, and chear as loud as ever, but I can't say my confidence is high.

edlantis
10-17-2005, 06:30 AM
DD-

Everything you say is accurate, but this season has escalated beyond bad! Even with an interim coach, Wilf needs to start doing some housecleaning to send a message to the rest of the team and set the stage for next year. Just letting things fly is going to send the wrong message. Besides, his public support for Tice, who is a nice guy, but a terrible head coach, says little about his judgement, at least to the perceptions of Viking fans and freakshow goers.

Webby
10-17-2005, 06:31 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

"I just want to know if we will have a new coach by next weeks game."

My answer: No.

I think that's pretty clear.

ultravikingfan
10-17-2005, 06:33 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

Sorry.

I was going by the title of the thread.

:???:

Webby
10-17-2005, 06:36 AM
*snicker*

Deadly_Diabetic
10-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Ed-

True. I just wonder if there isn't a compromise somewhere that could show that Zygi won't put up with the nonsense and yet wouldn't put the team in the bad position of a mid-season coaching change.

-DD

edlantis
10-17-2005, 06:51 AM
DD,

It would take some pretty creative decision-making, that's for sure. What is different here than other teams who have started off poorly, is the level of chaos. This has become more than just a bad team, it has become a team that is totally out of control. Let's face it, this is not a team short of talent. No doubt, Wilf has a mess on his hands, and as much as I feel for Tice, probably the best decision he could make the whole season is to step down, and just may. In fact, maybe Wilf is counting on that.

Nonetheless, hiring a new security director is not going to get the players to believe in their coach and the gameplan more, that's for sure.

I feel pretty strongly that Wilf is already looking for a coach, and the delay in hiring is only that he is waiting for his man to become available (Fisher, Billick, College coach???).

mnvikes61
10-17-2005, 06:59 AM
i believe he will be and if he isn't i will lose some respect for Zygi, he said the job was Tice's the rest of the season and if goes against that what will stop him from going against anything else he has said in the past if we hit troubled waters? the only way i see Tice not being there next week is he choices to step down from HC.

JLDII
10-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Zygy has said publicly that he is not going to get rid of Tice. Is that the kiss of death? Maybe, maybe not.

NDVikingFan66
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
One simple question...

Who we gonna get if we fire Tice????

No college coach is available, and certainly no decent one would be let out of their contract during season.

No NFL team is going to let any of their coaches go during the season.

That takes quite a few candidates out of the picture.

If we promote from within, there is the possibility we stick with the guy the next year (ala Mike Tice)

Guys...Unless Tice steps down on his own, we may be in this for the long haul.

SKOL!

mnvikes61
10-17-2005, 07:15 AM
there has been talk about getting a Jimmy Johnson or Mike Ditka. i think that is the only solution that be any better and i seriously don't see any coach just jumping in and us getting remarkable better.

finnishvikingsfan
10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Tice will be around until the end of the season unless he resigns. If the season were to end today I would say no he will not be around next season. But there are still more games to be played You never know.

snowinapril
10-17-2005, 07:19 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

It helps to quote, or just kick the thread maker in the nads for asking two different questions, Title question and his initial post question.

1.)Will Mike Tice be Head Coach of the Vikings Next Week?
2.)I just want to know if we will have a new coach by next weeks game?

JLDII
10-17-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm betting we will have Tice around till the end.

gregair13
10-17-2005, 07:39 AM
he isnt going anywhere. i dont really blame him for any of the loses. i blame the players for not being able to perform how they are sposed to.

iron brigade
10-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Will he be head coach in a week? No. He won't be head coach in 24 hours. Rumor is that Tice will be fired on Monday. let's hope it's true.

PurplePackerEater
10-17-2005, 10:53 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

Sorry.

That's funny. The guy asks two different questions. I wonder if this is how clear Tice is with the players?

DeathtoDenny
10-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Tice should have been gone after Arizona. They might as well take a shot at having Cottrell try to win some games, because Tice will take us to 1-15 at this rate, no doubt.

simonsparre
10-17-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't think he can be Mike Twice and win to matches this season, fire him!

NordicNed
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Tice will still be the coach next week.

If Wilf is a man of his word, Tice's job is secure for the season, no matter what happens..
That is, as long as Tice doesn't go out and do something like throw another boat party or get caught with a wizzinator at the local airport...

I've always been a Tice supporter, but I'm starting to loose faith in him, VERY FAST.....

It's not just Tice though, all our coaches have shown me nothing to support them this season...

singersp
10-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Tice will be here the rest of the year. Wilf said no matter what, he will be here the rest of the year.

Wilf also insisted to FOX Sports that Mike Tice will be his coach regardless of what happens Sunday or throughout the regular season.

ultravikingfan
10-17-2005, 01:45 PM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

Sorry.

That's funny. The guy asks two different questions. I wonder if this is how clear Tice is with the players?

Maybe that what wrong with Pep, he is hearing one thing, but his mind translates another.

They say:
1. Hit the slot on the out.

Pep heres:
1. Boat cruise after the game.

edlantis
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Look gang, we aren't losing close games here, we are getting slaughtered by mediocrity...or worse! I don't understand how Wilf would want to keep Tice! The Vikes have been underperforming since his tenure started. Worse, the off-the-field behavior has been embarrassing! Tice has to go.

So who is on the short list? Fassel, Jimmy Johnson, Ditka??? The pickens are slim, that's for sure. But honestly, anyone of us could do better than getting creamed by the limping, inexperienced, pathetic Bears!

Ltrey33
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Much suffering I fear.

Sorry.

Maybe that what wrong with Pep, he is hearing one thing, but his mind translates another.

They say:
1. Hit the slot on the out.

Pep heres:
1. Boat cruise after the game.

You're kind of right.
They say: Hit the slot on the out.

Pep hears: Hit the slut tonight when you go out.

Kind of close I guess....

singersp
10-17-2005, 03:31 PM
"edlantis" wrote:

So who is on the short list? Fassel, Jimmy Johnson, Ditka??? The pickens are slim, that's for sure. But honestly, anyone of us could do better than getting creamed by the limping, inexperienced, pathetic Bears!

Johnson is out. He said a big fat NO! a couple of weeks ago. I have to keep repeating myself.

Now let's say Tice is out & one of the other two are in. You STILL HAVE THE SAME SUB-PAR coaching staff under him that was hired for pennies under the Red McCombs budget. How much have you actually gained? The HC does NOT teach fundamentals & discipline at the player level positions.

edlantis
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree...Red McCombs made this mess, and the assistant coaches are pretty bad. But, it is not unheard of to fire a coach to shift some momentum. Besides, those Assistants are taking orders from Tice, which only is making things worse.

I am not sold that Jimmy Johnson is out. I am not saying that he is in, but money talks and there's a lot of talent here.

I also read a rumor that Cul-Pep may be on the trading block to AZ...I guess we'll see, though I think that would be a mistake and is unlikely to happen.

jackyl
10-17-2005, 03:39 PM
He'll be here.

PurpleTide
10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Tice will finish this season period. I think his grasp on the team is slipping and he needs to take control and enforce some common sense rules for off the field B.S., and not be a buddy, buddy. You can't just be a players coach you have to have rules and enforce them.
Listening to the game, one thing was repeated again and again, and it was
"The players are not taking what they practice to the field". Ive heard this more than once. The coaches install a game plan, but the players misaline themselves and are still making too many mistakes. Penalties and not lining up properly are not the coaches fault.

TATEone
10-17-2005, 04:38 PM
FIRE HIM...what could it possibly hurt to do that.

DogPound
10-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Any coach that Wilf would find would not just want a 10 week contract? They are gonna want a 3-4 year deal to give them time to turn the team into a winner. So I doubt we will have a new coach this season, I would say by the time the pro bowl come we will have or atleast have an idea who are new coach may be.

JLDII
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Look at it this way, if they fire Tice, they have to either replace him from a very short list of candidates who probably aren't a first choice by anyone, or move someone up from inside. If they move someone up from inside, it would have to be someone they will want to get rid of anyway because that person sure as heck isn't going to be the head coach next year. None of the coachs we have are going to take the position with the understanding they won't have the position next year, and why turn everything upside down to put in someone who is going to continue with the same programs we have had fail on us so far this year?

I think they keep Tice for the rest of this season. Hopefully Tice will quit trying to be the "nice guy" coach everyone thinks he is and maybe become more of a Bill Cowher type of "kick 'em in the @ss" coach.

Big C
10-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Tice will be here for the rest of the season. Period. If you think Cottrell ("I don't have the players") can do a better job than Tice, dream on. Tice is the best the team can do for this season. He will be gone next year, but for now he will be the HC.

Vikesfreak81
10-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm a huge Tice fan, but 16 penalties...most of them from offensive lineman he use to coach. 3 missed field goals, more sacks and interceptions and a team that has been outscored 58-13 in the last 2 games, all starts with the coaching. So maybe bringing someone else in would fire up the troops alittle.

Here's a few idea's

Mike Singletary
Jim Mora - he would tell it like it is.
Jim Fassel - knows offense

And if Culpepper needs someone he trusts to throw the ball too....what's Cris Carter doing, we all know he plays fired up and would catch anything thrown his way.

Let's not forget Pat Williams, Keith Newman, Wiggins and M. Moore for there efforts in the loss, they were playing hard.

Purplefeet
10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I think Tice will finish out the season. I'm kinda feeling bad for him now even. At his press-conference last night after the game he just seems beyond stressed. I think he was a good O-line coach that just got in over his head being head coach. If he had a good owner he might have developed into good head coach but he didn't.

His reputation is gettng ripped now and I actually kind of think it would be best for his health to resign but I doubt he will. Just one of those rough season that will hopefully expose the idiots on the team and allow a solid core a few years from now.

edlantis
10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I hope that if and when Tice is removed, he will be asked to stay as an assistant, afterall, he was a good offensive line coach. But of course, that would be akward.

whackthepack
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

The problem is, the team seams to have lost faith in Tice. To be honest it wouldn't hurt anything to fire Tice and hire an interim..., possbly Cottrell?

If it's this bad coming off the bye, I can't imagine what the rest of the season holds. I'll be at the game next week, and chear as loud as ever, but I can't say my confidence is high.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not want Cottrell as a interim coach, there would be a possibility that he could become the full time coach and I do not want that. He can barely handle the D!

At the end of the season, I want all the coaches fired! And I want a GM to brought in, and the new GM to pick a new head coach! And let the new coach choose his own staff!!

I want them to evaluate the talent on this team, and to let them pick the players they do not want, and to bring in their free agents and draft picks that they want to!!

And I hope that coach is Pete Carrol!

whackthepack
10-18-2005, 12:13 AM
"edlantis" wrote:

I hope that if and when Tice is removed, he will be asked to stay as an assistant, afterall, he was a good offensive line coach. But of course, that would be akward.

I meant to respond to this post earlier and I did not. I do not think Tice would be able to stay, if things keep going as bad as they are now they need to clean house and leave no part of the coaching staff in place.

But I do hope that Tice catches on somewhere else, and can continue coaching! I think he got a raw deal from the beginning. He was not ready to be a head coach yet, and then Red gave him no money for coaches and wouldn't spend to help the team! He was in a no win situation and it has caught up to him!

I hope maybe he can catch on as an O line coach, and someday get a shot as a head coach again!!!

Ltrey33
10-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Tice will be head coach for the rest of the season, for the mere fact that all of our assistants are horrible too. Therefore, there isn't anyone to promote to HC! We're stuck til February.

VegasLadyJae
10-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Interim Coach I believe would be Jerry Rhome....but won't happen. I think Zygi believes Red screwed Tice over therefore let him hang himself with all the flat out BS that is going on so that the Team & Zygi can say hey we gave you every chance with what we came into this season with, you couldn't get it done...C-YA.....Now let me try Jimmy one more time....

Part Two: Look what Tagliabue said to Zygi.....Hey good luck congratulations by the way what a horribly run franchise! Forget Superbowl talk you are hearing. Your team is going to suck for this year but you can turn it around if you want to at the end of this year......I really believe Zygi's so called advisors are telling him keep Tice until the end of the year. That way you can tank the season and be better off. The fans are still coming to the games.....So just hope for those draft picks & a healthy Matt Birk; in the interim chill out and hope for 2-14 and pay Jimmy Johnson what ever he wants......You will be the State Savior and more importantly the opposite of Red McCombs!!!!!!!!!! Yes Tice Stays......

NDVikingFan66
10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
I think Tice is here for the duration.....because

WHO ELSE WE GONNA GET MIDSEASON??

Here are a couple of more thoughts.

Zigi is a smart man. He will not fire Tice unless he has a solid plan in place. That plan may mean we have to wait until the season is over so we can look at colleges, assistants in the NFL, and head coaches in the NFL.

He is also going to get the front office straightened out. He will bring in a GM and let him do some of the work. He will also hire the rest of the appropriate front office staff.

He will put together an organizational structure for the Vikings. Who is accountable to who, and what their responsibilities are.

He will (or a member of his staff, such as a GM) sit down with Tice and maybe the rest of the coaches, and lay out some guidelines for them and tell them they have his support.

Zigi has already OK'd bringing in Fazio and Rhome, there are sure to be more changes coming down the pipe.

Yes, we are struggling, we may even continue to struggle, however, give Zigi time to straighten out this organization. Firing coaches may lead to more turmoi.

However, firing coaches or players may send a message.

Buckle up Viking Fans, it is gonna be a fun week...and depending on Sunday, a long year.

SKOL!!

singersp
10-18-2005, 02:30 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

He'll be here.Culpepper or Jimmy Johnson?

TheViking
10-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Wilf will wait till the off-season to fire Tice. Tice may resign before the end of the season but I don't think so. He will see the season through and I will wish him well but I will be excited to see whom they bring in.

FuadFan
10-18-2005, 02:46 AM
To ask about a point that NDVikingfan66 posted who would be a good GM for us to hire since that would effect any other moves we make through coaching, free agency, and the draft whenever we do have our pick next year.

WBLVikeBabe
10-18-2005, 02:49 AM
"TheViking" wrote:

Wilf will wait till the off-season to fire Tice. Tice may resign before the end of the season but I don't think so. He will see the season through and I will wish him well but I will be excited to see whom they bring in.

I agree with you. Not sure if I'm so excited to see who they will (if they do) bring in, more interested. Oh by the way I like your sig TheViking it's funny!

Grassdog61
10-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Tice is here for the rest of the season, but I think its fair to say he's on a short leash. He could get himself fired midseason if he screws up and does something else to embarass the organization. I think he's too much of a competitor down deep to resign. But he has looked pretty beat up in the last several press conferences. This is clearly taking a toll on him personally.

What a golden opportunity this Vikings teams is for whoever becomes our new head coach. Huge upside with a roster full of talented players who need direction and leadership.

FuadFan
10-18-2005, 02:54 AM
"Grassdog61" wrote:

Tice is here for the rest of the season, but I think its fair to say he's on a short leash. He could get himself fired midseason if he screws up and does something else to embarass the organization. I think he's too much of a competitor down deep to resign. But he has looked pretty beat up in the last several press conferences. This is clearly taking a toll on him personally.

What a golden opportunity this Vikings teams is for whoever becomes our new head coach. Huge upside with a roster full of talented players who need direction and leadership.However they could also look at how Tice looks and what has been going on lately and decide we aren't worth the trouble to try and fix.

singersp
10-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Let's get this straight once & for all. Wilf said Tice WILL be the coach the rest of this year. End of story, no If's &'s or but's.

For if Wilf were to go back on his word, especially now, it would jepordize his credibility for doing what he says he's going to do. Then people will start questioning evertything else he's promised he would do.

It ain't happenning folks. Wilf is a man of his word.

TheViking
10-18-2005, 03:22 AM
"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:

"TheViking" wrote:
[quote]
I agree with you. Not sure if I'm so excited to see who they will (if they do) bring in, more interested. Oh by the way I like your sig TheViking it's funny!

Thanks. Not as flashy as some but I try