PDA

View Full Version : Fontoi Trade?



HerdDaVikes
10-14-2005, 11:33 PM
Bringing in a quality offensive lineman wouldnt be bad. I found this on ESPN rumor central.

Fonoti on the block
<Oct. 13> Fonoti, who is in the final year of his four-year contract, is being shopped around the league, with the Chargers' permission, the North Country Times reports.

Steven Feldman, Fonoti's agent, confirmed that the Chargers are trying to move Fonoti before Tuesday afternoon's trading deadline.

"There has been quite of bit of interest, but clubs want to do a (long-term) deal, too," Feldman said. "A lot of teams don't want to have a guy for just the rest of the year."

audioghost
10-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Would be nice to have with all the injuries....depth is needed!

cc21
10-14-2005, 11:54 PM
I think it would be a good idea to get him. I also think the Vikes should take a look at getting Lavar Arrington.

viks_fan21
10-14-2005, 11:57 PM
sounds good to me.

josdin00
10-14-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure about Arrington. We need guys on this defense who play their assignments. We're not good enough yet to have guys freelancing, and that is what Arrington is known for.

Muggsy
10-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Haven't heard of this guy. Is he any good?

Muggsy
10-15-2005, 12:07 AM
I'll answer my own question. From the Chargers website:
===============================================
Number: 77
Name: Toniu Fonoti
Position: Guard
College: Nebraska
Height: 6-4
Weight: 350
DOB: 11/26/81
Experience: 4th NFL Season
Acquired: Draft 2A - 2002
Hometown: Hauula, Hawaii

Had Drew Brees not had such a phenomenal year in 2004, people might very easily have mentioned the name Toniu Fonoti (TONE-u Foe-no-TEE) when discussing NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

After sitting out the 2003 season with a foot injury, Toniu returned to the field in 2004 more determined than ever. He started every game and finished the season as an All-Pro. Toniu’s devastating blocks filled the highlight reels as he helped pave the way for the league’s sixth-ranked rushing offense. As a unit, the Chargers offensive line surrendered only 21 sacks in 2004, fourth-fewest in the NFL.
===============================================

Well, hey, he's from Hawaii, so he should be able to get around boats ok. Maybe we should go for him. Extra help on the OL never hurts.

mnjamie
10-15-2005, 12:13 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to get him. I also think the Vikes should take a look at getting Lavar Arrington.

I thought about him also, but Wayyyyy too much money. I think his cap hit next year is around $12MM ... too much.

TheViking
10-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Why not take the hit if he is going to be a great building block for a line that needs allot of help. If he is anAll Pro I say make the trade. You have to start to improve sometime. My only question would be who is available on the free agent market next year in terms of offensive lineman?

akvikefan89
10-15-2005, 12:31 AM
O-Lineman are much needed. What would the Chargers want though? a draft pick? they sure as heck don't need a RB :lol:

If he is in the final year of his contract, why not nab him (or some other FA O-Lineman) in the offseason?

DCPologirl
10-15-2005, 12:31 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"coreychavous21" wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to get him. I also think the Vikes should take a look at getting Lavar Arrington.

I thought about him also, but Wayyyyy too much money. I think his cap hit next year is around $12MM ... too much.


Come on guys do we really want another Redskin? I mean Fred Smoot is just the man............

TheViking
10-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Lavar is just the type of guy Zygi is trying to get away from. He has all the talent in the world but is not a team guy. Stay far far away from Lavar.

KY Vike
10-15-2005, 12:57 AM
"TheViking" wrote:

Lavar i just the type of guy Zygi is trying to get away from. He has all the talent in the world but is not a team guy. Stay far far away from Lavar.

You have no clue about Lavar Arrington. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you post something. Go do some research and then come back.

TheViking
10-15-2005, 01:06 AM
"KY Vike" wrote:

"TheViking" wrote:

Lavar i just the type of guy Zygi is trying to get away from. He has all the talent in the world but is not a team guy. Stay far far away from Lavar.

You have no clue about Lavar Arrington. Make sure you know what you are talking about before you post something. Go do some research and then come back.

Really, I have no clue, ok I might not have used any proof but show me proof that he is a team guy. He doesnt like to play in the system, he is a free roaming LB who makes his own plays. He obviously doesnt want to play in the system otherwise Williams would have a LB of that talent playing each and every week. Show me proof, that he would make your team better. He didnt play last year due to injury and the Redskins had one of the best deffensive teams in the NFL. They actually ranked higher last year without Lavar then the year before when he did start. So I would say Lavar is not a team guy.

ultravikingfan
10-15-2005, 01:28 AM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

"coreychavous21" wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to get him. I also think the Vikes should take a look at getting Lavar Arrington.

I thought about him also, but Wayyyyy too much money. I think his cap hit next year is around $12MM ... too much.

I like him, but I was expecting more from him.

I hope he can turn it up a notch or 2.


Come on guys do we really want another Redskin? I mean Fred Smoot is just the man............

mnvikes61
10-15-2005, 01:54 AM
i'd say it matters how much the chargers want for Fontoi, whether or not i think we should try and get Fontoi.

V4L
10-15-2005, 04:37 AM
That would be very very nice to bring him in.. Expecially if it was for cheap.. It would give us a sure starter.. I don't see us pulling the trigger on a deal though

snowinapril
10-15-2005, 05:28 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

O-Lineman are much needed. What would the Chargers want though? a draft pick? they sure as heck don't need a RB :lol:

If he is in the final year of his contract, why not nab him (or some other FA O-Lineman) in the offseason?

The must have a prospect they think can fill his shoes, probably want to ditch the guy cause he will want mor money than the guy they know that can replace him.

Otherwise you don't get rid of him. I would think they would want a draft pick, maybe 2nd round??????? Probably settle for a 3rd??????

Who knows??? 4 more days and we will find out.

mewario
10-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Fonoti is a great run blocker, he helped Eric Crouch become a Heisman winner, and he helped the Chargers immensely last year.

We need to be able to run the ball, I'm all for it.

He's 6'4" 350 guys. :shock:

"Chargers Insiders had Fonoti tabbed as a late first round pick. Fonoti is a dominating run blocker from the University of Nebraska. He was just the fifth player in Nebraska annals to register over 300 pancakes (knockdowns) in a career, setting the school’s all-time record with 379, topping the previous mark of 377 set by Aaron Taylor (1995-97). Fonoti also holds the school’s single-season record with 201 pancakes in 2001, topping his own 2000 mark of 155."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"His agent, Steve Feldman, has been trying to find a new home for the player, who has grown disgruntled with his one in San Diego. At this point, the Chargers would be happy to deal Fonoti, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The two sides engaged in offseason contract discussions, but could not strike a deal.

This season, Fonoti broke his hand in practice after starting the first two games and since then, Kris Dielman has stepped in at left guard and played well, despite the penalties he drew during a Monday night loss to Pittsburgh.

It's unlikely the Chargers will be able to get much for the 6-foot-4, 350-pound Fonoti. But for any team that needs a guard -- Green Bay or Miami -- Fonoti would be an upgrade."

Hey guys, looks like they won't be able to get much.. so no 3rd rounder talk. hopefully a 5th will do the trick, he's going to be a free agent after this year anyway.