PDA

View Full Version : Vikings need all help they can get

singersp
10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
There are people suggesting that Mike Tice confirmed his inadequacy to coach the Vikings with this week's decision to bring in Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio in the hope they can provide flotsam for this sinking ship.

Rhome and Fazio were in retirement after long coaching tenures. The last time they were mentioned in unison with the Vikings was on Jan. 17, 1995, when Rhome was leaving to become the offensive coordinator for the Houston Oilers and Fazio was arriving as the linebackers coach.

Rhome stayed here one season as the receivers coach, and his work received rave reviews from an emerging star named Cris Carter. Fazio lasted five years with coach Dennis Green, including the last four (1996-99) as defensive coordinator.

There are numerous reasons to endorse the idea that Tice is overmatched. The least of these would be that he has brought in the much respected Rhome to help handle this floundering offense.

The benefit of bringing in Fazio is less clear, what with veteran coordinator Ted Cottrell in charge of the defense, but what the heck? Foge is a good guy, and maybe he can bring a few much needed laughs to Winter Park with his occasional visits.

If Tice was going to establish himself as a successful NFL coach, it would have been as a motivator of players and by leaning on astute assistants.

This opportunity came to Tice because owner Red McCombs was too cheap to pay market value for an experienced head coach -- not while paying off the final two years of the fired Green's contract.

The worst part of this for Tice was not the miserly salary he was receiving as coach but McCombs also cutting the budget for assistants.

With this restriction, Tice was the guy who found and hired Scott Linehan, the offensive coordinator at the University of Louisville and an unknown in NFL circles.

Linehan had the Randy Moss advantage during his three seasons on the job, but you could see immediately he was a creative coach with a big future. The excuse for allowing Linehan to leave for Miami was the head coach's status.

Tice had only 2005 left on his contract, so Linehan went elsewhere in the search for security. In truth, Red could have given Linehan a multi-year contract for sizable dollars, with the knowledge that any future head coach hired by the Vikings would be pleased to inherit a dynamic offensive coordinator.

Tice also had George O'Leary, his former high school coach, for trusted advice in 2002 and 2003. There were some disagreements in that second season, when Tice wanted rookie E.J. Henderson on the field at middle linebacker, and O'Leary preferred Greg Biekert -- slow, worn down, but a veteran capable of getting the defense lined up properly.

Considering Henderson's woes in the middle of last season, O'Leary obviously knew what he was doing. He left for Central Florida after 2003, an indication both of O'Leary's desire to be a head coach again, and of McCombs' unwillingness to pay to keep good coaching help.

Tice might be fortunate that neither O'Leary nor Linehan still is around. If so, new owner Zygi Wilf would have had viable candidates on the staff to replace Tice during this two-week break between the visits to Atlanta and Chicago.

Then again, if Linehan still were running the offense, the Vikings probably would have pulled out that opener against Tampa Bay in the Dome. That would put the Vikings at 2-2, on top of the horrible NFC North, and the feeling Tice had to go would not be as unanimous among the Purple faithful as is currently the case.

McCombs wasn't sure he was going to complete the sale of this team last winter, when Tice needed a replacement for Linehan. That meant Red was unwilling to make any guarantee (one year, with hefty severance if Tice was fired) that would allow the Vikings to bring in an experienced coordinator to deal with the challenge of a Moss-less offense.

Steve Loney was a qualified line coach handed the impossible task of becoming an NFL coordinator on the fly. By the season's second game, Tice found the need -- justified or not -- to try to mentor Loney in the passing game.

That's the last word that comes to mind when you observe Tice as a coach: mentor.

He's an erratic leader, subject to changing the approach to what he thinks his team needs on an hour's notice. He needs the mentoring, not vice versa.

Rhome, 63, can provide that to Tice, to Loney, to Daunte Culpepper and to this troubled offense. The question now is if this is a firm commitment to tapping into Rhome's knowledge for the rest of this not-yet-lost season, or is it this week's Tice whim?

singersp
10-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Vikings: Consultant may take over as offensive coordinator
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
October 7, 2005 VIKE1007

One young Vikings player -- who shall remain nameless -- was asked Thursday if he has heard much about Jerry Rhome.

"Oh, sure," the player said. "He's the guy from ESPN, that show 'Rome is Burning.' Right?"

Uh, no.

Soon enough, every Viking will know the difference between TV/radio personality Jim Rome and longtime NFL coach Jerry Rhome. Assuming owner Zygi Wilf signs off on the proposal, Rhome is expected to take over next week as the Vikings' de facto offensive coordinator.

Steve Loney would retain that title, but his focus would shift primarily to the offensive line, leaving play-calling duties and some game-planning responsibilities to Rhome. The role is much broader than the consultant-level position that Rhome and Foge Fazio accepted earlier this week, but coach Mike Tice acknowledged that Loney's two-job workload has grown impractical.

Lost from the start?Jeff WheelerStar Tribune"We're all human," Tice said. "After a while, it's too much. And I think Steve was handling a lot of the [offensive] workload. A lot. And doing a solid job, I really think."

Tice said he considered hiring an offensive line coach, allowing Loney to work full time as a coordinator. But, Tice said, Loney "wants to square the line away himself. He doesn't want somebody coming in and squaring away his line."

Rhome, 63, observed the Vikings' two-hour practice Thursday and was planning to spend the night watching film at Winter Park. He is scheduled to meet with Wilf today to work through several issues related to his pension and then sign a one-year contract.

Rhome said he's open to returning to the Vikings, where he was the receivers coach in 1994. He coached Tice in Seattle in 1981 and said: "My friendship with Mike is enough that I came up here for a couple days to work with him for fun. Whatever happens after that will happen. We'll see."

Rhome was Loney's boss in 1993 when they worked on the Phoenix Cardinals staff; Rhome was the offensive coordinator and Loney an assistant offensive line coach. During the Vikings' flight home Sunday from Atlanta, Loney suggested that Tice call Rhome, who last worked for Atlanta in 2001. Tice said he is not concerned about the delicate and rare instance of adding a new coach in midseason -- "Steve is a team guy," Tice said -- and said he hopes the new arrangement will begin at "8 a.m. Monday morning."

Loney said that any discussion of next week's arrangement "is speculative" but appeared eager to add Rhome's experience to the staff.

While Rhome is expected to be a daily presence at Winter Park, Fazio's role will be more limited. He provided what Tice called a "thorough" report on the team's defensive schemes and -- pending his own meeting with Wilf -- Fazio likely will spend three or four days a week with the defensive coaches, including game day.

"I think we have a good chance of getting on track very quickly here," said Fazio, the Vikings' defensive coordinator from 1995 to 1999. Their current coordinator, Ted Cottrell, said he considers Fazio "another set of eyes.

"If you have the opportunity to get that during the season," Cottrell added, "it's a pretty good thing to do. A lot of times people want to do that at the end of the year, but by then it's too late."

Most players seemed to appreciate the addition of Fazio and Rhome. Safety Darren Sharper joked that "consultants are good when you have to worry about your taxes and things of a legal nature," but cornerback Fred Smoot took a more serious tone.

"We're going to get some outside information," Smoot said. "We'll see what they're feeling about what we're doing, what we're doing right, and what we need to do to get better."

singersp
10-07-2005, 02:15 PM
One reason new Vikings owner Zygi Wilf agreed to add consultants Foge Fazio for the defense and Jerry Rhome for the offense is he believed the coaching staff needed more help. The staff is by far the lowest paid in the NFL.

"We found when we came in here that [former owner] Red McCombs left us kind of a ship that was somewhat unmanned," Wilf said. "We need to find the right people to help out and get this ship going in the right direction. And that's the reason why we're reaching out to two guys that have the confidence and the ability to help out in the coaching booth. I think that's very important that we do these things, and it came at the right time with the bye week. We hope that it improves our team.

"There are a lot of subtle little things that have to be done, and we're going to show the support."

Will Fazio and Rhome be here all year?

"That's left to be seen, but I'm looking that they will be," Wilf said. He added that former Vikings coach Bud Grant will be a part of a retreat next week where the owners, head coach Mike Tice, vice president Rob Brzezinski and others will meet to talk about improving the Vikings' situation.

"[Grant] will be addressing certain topics that are his expertise as it deals with team morale and team discipline, things that he's pretty good at," Wilf said. "He's been a consultant for me since the day I got in here. Yes, he is on the payroll. I keep on asking him for advice. So I felt it was necessary for him to be there."

Wilf said it is unfair for anybody to panic after four games.

"We're in the hunt for the division here. It might seem funny at 1-3 being in the hunt for the division, but we are," he said. "I don't know that it would be any different if we were behind a team that's 4-0. But we're behind [two teams that are] 1-2, so I'm not going to go ahead and panic or anything else.

"We're in the hunt, and things change during the season. We certainly have the talent, but a lot of it is new talent. They have to play the ultimate team sport. So it takes time for guys to play together with one another. Whatever we can do to improve that will help."

The situation under McCombs had team President Gary Woods report to McCombs, and then decisions were made. Now it's different. If Zygi or his brother, Mark, get a request, they act immediately. They are not penny pinchers like Woods was.

Muggsy
10-08-2005, 02:46 AM
From Rhome to the O.C.

By Viking Update Staff

Date: Oct 7, 2005

The Vikings brought in Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio to serve as consultants, but after just a couple of days, it looks as if Rhome's duties are going to be considerably more expansive.

The Vikings returned to their only full practice of the bye week Thursday with a couple of familiar faces roaming around Winter Park. Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio, brought in this week to serve as consultants to review the Vikings' offensive and defensive schemes, were on hand to watch practice. But for one of them, it could be the start of something big.

Rhome, a veteran offensive mind, is expected to assume the role of playcalling. While Steve Loney will retain the title of O.C., Rhome will likely be in the booth in charge of playcalling while Loney focuses on working more with the offensive line.

"I’ve just been here this one practice. It was very spirited," Rhome said. "I told Mike (Tice), it was a very spirited workout. That is not a 1-3 team practicing, and it’s not a 1-3 team that’s got its heads between their legs. That was kind of fun, I know they are competitors here because I have been watching them. The Vikings have that kind of history for being a competitive football team. I don’t think that there is any doubt in my mind that Mike is going to get this team turned around."

"I have been with teams that have struggled for a while and came back. The NFL is not easy. You have 32 teams out there fighting for the same thing. Sometimes you have some low moments, it is what you do in those low moments that puts you back on top. We are going to find out what the Vikings are made of. It is not going to be the first time that the Vikings have fallen back."

FRIDAY NOTES
* Daunte Culpepper had a cortisone shot in his ailing knee and missed Thursday's practice.
* A former Pioneer Press writer now working in Denver claims Michael Bennett is all but certain to be traded to Denny Green and the Cardinals before the Oct. 18 trade deadline. Although the Vikings are dangerously thin at RB and Moe Williams had his knee on ice Thursday at Winter Park, the report claims that the disgruntled Bennett will sign a long-term deal with the Cardinals. What the Vikings would receive in exchange wasn't discussed.
* Those trying to get Tice fired have been busy. Jimmy Johnson has been contacted concerning a potential job opening by media types but expressed no interest in coming to Minnesota.
* With Kenechi Udeze out for the season, the Vikings plan to work out at least three players -- Antonio Cochran (last with the Seahawks), Anton Palepoi (Denver) and Matt Mitirione (Vikings).
* Tice said Thursday that Adam Goldberg will replace Marcus Johnson as the starter at right guard.

kramer9guy
10-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Rhome likes what he sees...I like what I hear. I hope he can help make a difference on offense.

umaguma1979
10-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Wow! .....Bennett is to be traded! It seems ole'Denny has less patience with his running backs than quarterbacks these days. I guess the terms of the trade are contingent upon how the Vikings perform the next couple games. If this rumor is true and the Viking loses to Chicago, we have seen the last of Bennett. At 1-4 or 1-5, the Viking will most certainly re looking to rebuild for next year and

I am glad to see Goldberg elevated to starting guard......right now, he gives us the best chance to win when compared to Johnson. Plus Johnson is a young player with a lot of upside and ruining his psyche is not beneficial to reaching his potential.

The fact Rhome is positive sounds like a consultant (not football, but hospital supplies)....as I am one.....compliment before you criticize. If Rhome is serious as staying on full-time as offense coordinator - this is the way to play it.

Mr. Purple
10-08-2005, 03:25 AM
good stuff...:)

audioghost
10-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Yeah, so I have confidence in my team pullin threw....once they get the play calling down and the players hyped up...the Vikes will dominate again...you just wait and see....

Vikings
All talent, no motivation or stradegy

Packers
Little talent, no motivation but bett stradegy then the Vikes right now...

Who gets outta the rut faster? I'm thinkin the team with the good players !

runtheball
10-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Whose idea was it to bring in Rhome and Fazio? Wilf's or Tice's ? I first read about it online at Fox Sports and the way I read it there it was Wilf's idea to bring thses guys in.

umaguma1979
10-08-2005, 05:18 AM
I think it was Wilf, who had suggested the idea after the Tampa game, because he was showing support for Tice and that he was going to pay whatever Tice needed.

singersp
10-08-2005, 05:47 AM
"runtheball" wrote:

Whose idea was it to bring in Rhome and Fazio? Wilf's or Tice's ? I first read about it online at Fox Sports and the way I read it there it was Wilf's idea to bring thses guys in.

It was neither of the two. It was actually Loney who did the play calling on this one & suggested to Tice that he should call Rhome. It was on their flight home from the Atlanta game. (Read it in the 2nd post of this thread)

snowinapril
10-08-2005, 06:02 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

Rhome Quote:
"I’ve just been here this one practice. It was very spirited," Rhome said. "I told Mike (Tice), it was a very spirited workout. That is not a 1-3 team practicing, and it’s not a 1-3 team that’s got its heads between their legs. That was kind of fun, I know they are competitors here because I have been watching them. The Vikings have that kind of history for being a competitive football team. I don’t think that there is any doubt in my mind that Mike is going to get this team turned around."

Is this fluff or is it reality?

I want to believe it is real.

Skol Vikings Skol!

umaguma1979
10-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Compliment before you criticize

singersp
10-08-2005, 06:05 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"OldManVike" wrote:

Rhome Quote:

Is this fluff or is it reality?

I want to believe it is real.

Skol Vikings Skol!

It must be reality because "fluff" is what the girls do instead of farting! (See the "fart" thread) :lol:

ShanePurpleBlood
10-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I am hoping these guys will help us turn it around.

One reason new Vikings owner Zygi Wilf agreed to add consultants Foge Fazio for the defense and Jerry Rhome for the offense is he believed the coaching staff needed more help. The staff is by far the lowest paid in the NFL.

"We found when we came in here that [former owner] Red McCombs left us kind of a ship that was somewhat unmanned," Wilf said. "We need to find the right people to help out and get this ship going in the right direction. And that's the reason why we're reaching out to two guys that have the confidence and the ability to help out in the coaching booth. I think that's very important that we do these things, and it came at the right time with the bye week. We hope that it improves our team.

"There are a lot of subtle little things that have to be done, and we're going to show the support."

Will Fazio and Rhome be here all year?

Read:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5656107

jackyl
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Nice reads.... good thread.

RK.
10-08-2005, 09:08 PM
"That's left to be seen, but I'm looking that they will be," Wilf said. He added that former Vikings coach Bud Grant will be a part of a retreat next week where the owners, head coach Mike Tice, vice president Rob Brzezinski and others will meet to talk about improving the Vikings' situation.

"[Grant] will be addressing certain topics that are his expertise as it deals with team morale and team discipline, things that he's pretty good at," Wilf said. "He's been a consultant for me since the day I got in here. Yes, he is on the payroll. I keep on asking him for advice. So I felt it was necessary for him to be there."

I am glad to see that Wilf is wearing a WWBGD bracelet. :smile:

Muggsy
10-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has signed off on a plan to add longtime NFL coaches Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio to the staff, and barring an unexpected delay, the team will formalize agreements with both men in time for practice Monday.

Rhome and Fazio were scheduled to meet Friday with Wilf, and all that remains now is to resolve issues with their pensions. Coach Mike Tice plans to use Rhome as a de facto offensive coordinator for the remainder of the season, a role that likely will include play-calling and some responsibility for game planning.

Fazio would serve as a part-time defensive consultant, observing each game from the coaches booth and then meeting with coaches and players for two or three days during the week.

Offord, James fined

The NFL fined injured safety Willie Offord $15,000 for "impermissible physical contact with a game official" during the Vikings' Sept. 25 game against New Orleans.

According to an NFL spokesman, the incident occurred as Offord was pursuing a running play in the second quarter against the Saints. The spokesman said Offord "had a clear view and an unobstructed path and ran directly toward the game official and shoved him to the ground."

Later in that game, Offord suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee. Offord was not available for comment Friday but is expected to appeal the fine.

Meanwhile, the league also fined rookie defensive end Erasmus James $5,000 for hitting Atlanta running back Warrick Dunn out of bounds during last week's 30-10 loss to the Falcons.

Lineman added

The Vikings agreed to terms with defensive lineman Matt Mitrione after a workout Friday morning at Winter Park. Mitrione, one of the Vikings' final cuts this preseason, will take the roster spot of defensive end Kenechi Udeze.

Udeze is expected to be placed on injured reserve after undergoing microfracture surgery Wednesday on his left knee, a procedure that requires six to eight months of rehabilitation.

Plans finalized

Wilf will hold a retreat Monday and Tuesday for the Vikings' investor group at a conference center in Chaska. The agenda calls for mostly business issues on Monday and football-related matters on Tuesday, including a scheduled lunch with Tice.

The team's five vice presidents and former coach Bud Grant also will attend. Ownership representatives will include: Zygi, Mark and Lenny Wilf; Reggie Fowler; David Mandelbaum and his son, Richard, and Alan Landis and his son, Scott.

C-PepNSalt
10-09-2005, 03:18 AM
this is just a nice slap in the face to loney!

snowinapril
10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
ESPN NFL Countdown, Sunday Morning, 10-9-05.

Well, I found a thread and stuck it here instead of starting a new one.

Things that were said:

Irvin said, he has seen a meeting like this before, Switzer did it right before he lost control of the team. He said that this type of meeting causes more fractions than unity.

Jackson said the same thing as Irvin but added this. He said if Tice had been building credibility up to this point, it might have worked, but he hasn't been building any.

Young said that it isn't good when the owner sits in on a QB meeting. He also said that he talked to some Falcon players this week and he got quotes from them as saying the Vikings were a pitiful group of players. The Falcons said the Vikes had a lack of effort through out the game. Coaches are not going to help if the Vikes players have given up.

Out of all the comments made, the lack of effort and pitiful stand out to me the most. If the Falcons players are comments are correct, our team has given up.

The only saving grace is the Division is still open. If they can pull it together and want to win the Division, they could get some momentum and start to come together again as a team, the coaches are not going to help turn this team around. I don't think even if Birk's (and others) lips are moving, I don't know if he believes it. He is trying to get the other to believe it, as the leader of the team, he should be trying that. Basically, Tice has no credibility and it all boils down to if the players have enough belief in themselves to turn it around.

PurpleTide
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
If our effort is as bad as the Falcon players say, some heads need to roll. Players quiting on any play is not acceptable, and if the effort isn't there, we'd better find players that want to play hard and will not quit no matter what the situation is.
It is one thing to lose, but seeing a team play as soft as we have it's very hard to watch. Who's gonna step up? Rhome and Foge can only help. Skol.

mnvikes61
10-09-2005, 07:11 PM
yah the effort thing is very dangerous for us. we got our butts handed to us throughout the entire game. i definately was questioning our effort when we let the backup QB run for over a hundred yards. if our players quit a quarter of the season through i don't want the one that quit on us, i don't care about their creditianals or anything!

Vikes
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I say we try anything by now.

singersp
10-10-2005, 01:18 PM
They definitely need a great motivational speech!

singersp
10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

yah the effort thing is very dangerous for us. we got our butts handed to us throughout the entire game. i definately was questioning our effort when we let the backup QB run for over a hundred yards. if our players quit a quarter of the season through i don't want the one that quit on us, i don't care about their creditianals or anything!

Remember when Denny came in and cleaned house of all the so-called slackers? They even had a TV commercial about it. I still remember "Vikings front office, how may I help you? Joey Browner? He doesn't work here anymore" or something like that.

PAvikesfan
10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
F loney... he never should have been promoted to OC. Red's cheapness is still effecting our team. next year we will see two things most likely. a new coach and a new fulltime oc.

i hope signing extra coaching staff will help us. if we don't win the bears game, the chances of us getting our shite together and winning the division is less than 10%. and we should just use this year as a rebuilding year.

snowinapril
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

F loney... he never should have been promoted to OC. Red's cheapness is still effecting our team. next year we will see two things most likely. a new coach and a new fulltime oc.

i hope signing extra coaching staff will help us. if we don't win the bears game, the chances of us getting our shite together and winning the division is less than 10%. and we should just use this year as a rebuilding year.

I noticed a title on the Dallas team yesterday, "Assistant Head Coach." Tice probably never thought he could hire someone to be his slacky. Like I said before, why didn't he think of asking Wilf for help before the season started. It was crazy to think they could do it like they were set up. Tice still had RED in his head.

snowinapril
10-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I just went into a few of the team web sites, and it seems like we have about the same amount of coaches as anyother team.

19 seemed about the norm, I didn't check every team.

Dallas had 14 listed

Eagles had 21 listed

We have 17 listed.

You don't know how many consultants each team carries???

ultravikingfan
10-11-2005, 02:28 AM
More on our help from the Tribune:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5661857.html

New coaches looking to straighten Vikings out
Associated Press
October 11, 2005 VIKE1011

The Minnesota Vikings' horrendous start to the season has the team desperately looking for answers.

Coming out of the bye, and with three games against division foes in the next four weeks, the Vikings hope two familiar faces will help them figure out exactly what is going wrong.

Coach Mike Tice brought in old pals Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio as consultants, hoping a fresh set of eyes will shed some light on the team's 1-3 start.

Rhome will clearly hold a key place in the game-planning structure, helping offensive coordinator Steve Loney with the play-calling in hopes of jump-starting the Vikings' offense.

Fazio won't be as involved as Rhome, but will be heavily relied upon to help reduce mental mistakes that have led to big plays on the field.

"Whatever it takes to win,' linebacker Sam Cowart said of the additions. "Because whatever we were doing the first four games, we're 1-3, it wasn't working. ... We need the help.'

The Vikings' offense has been abysmal for most of the season, committing 15 turnovers and ranking 24th in total offense.

The injury plagued defense has not been any better despite significant additions in the offseason, ranking 30th in total defense and dead last in run defense.

The improvements will have to come quickly. The Vikings are getting ready for a string of three division games in four weeks, starting with a road trip to Chicago on Sunday.

"We certainly have a lot of work to do,' Tice said Monday. "We all have to do a better job, starting with me.'

The hiring of Rhome is the most significant because it will free up Loney to spend more time coaching the offensive line, which has been unable to open holes for the running backs or protect Daunte Culpepper.

Rhome and Tice go way back, to when Rhome coached Tice in Seattle when he entered the league as a rookie in 1981.

"We have been friends all through the years,' said Rhome, who was the receivers coach with the Vikings in 1994. "I have kind of been following the Vikings the last two years and rooting for them.'

Tice said Rhome will sit in the booth and Loney will remain on the sidelines to work with the offensive line on gameday. Rhome and Loney will collaborate with quarterbacks coach Rich Olson on the play-calling, and Tice will have final say before sending the play into Culpepper.

"It really just gives us another guy to help with the passing game,' Tice said.

Fazio was the defensive coordinator in Minnesota from 1995-99 and most recently ran the defense in Cleveland in 2003.

"If other opportunities came up, I wouldn't have gone,' Fazio said. "When Mike called, it is like your big brother called, or my little brother who is big. I said, 'I'll go up and see what they are talking about.' I have really enjoyed what I am doing.'

Rhome initially joined as a volunteer assistant so as not to jeopardize his NFL pension, while Fazio plans to hold more of a part-time role — similar to what Alex Gibbs does in Atlanta — that will allow him to fulfill broadcasting duties for college games on CBS radio.

Just how effective the two coaches will be remains to be seen. They've been thrust into a difficult situation — trying to catch on with terminology and the players' abilities in midseason.

"We added some consultants, but it boils down to players executing the game plan the coaches put in place,' linebacker Keith Newman said.

Neither Loney nor current defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell seemed threatened by the additions. Loney worked with Rhome on the Phoenix Cardinals' staff in 1993 and it was his idea to bring Rhome into the mix to help with the passing game.

And Fazio is not interested in returning to the sidelines full time.

For now, everyone is concerned with getting things straightened out and getting the Vikings back on track in the mediocre NFC North.

"Sometimes you have some low moments,' Rhome said. "It is what you do in those low moments that puts you back on top. We are going to find out what the Vikings are made of.'

Mr. Purple
10-11-2005, 02:32 AM
so let me get this straight...these guys...are gonna actually like coach during games? I was under the impression they where gonna make adjustments to plays and such...but are they gonna coach in the games?

ultravikingfan
10-11-2005, 02:33 AM
From the Pioneer Press

"With added crew, it's up to Tice to right the ship"

Good read: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/12849612.htm

snowinapril
10-11-2005, 07:23 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

so let me get this straight...these guys...are gonna actually like coach during games? I was under the impression they where gonna make adjustments to plays and such...but are they gonna coach in the games?

Yes, Rhome will be helping on game day from the booth.

Also, what I take about Foge is that he will be on the sidelines at the games and he will help out during the week, part time. I am not totally sure about Foge's role.

nephilimstorm
10-11-2005, 09:13 AM
i hope this is a kick in the butt..or tices job