PDA

View Full Version : NEW COACH SUGGESTIONS HERE!

slinkey
10-04-2005, 03:40 AM
CHECK THIS LINK...I THINK HE WOULD BE GOOD

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coachbio.jsp?id=33

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
10-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Kirk Fererenz head coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes is who we need. Best coach in football barring Bill B.

slinkey
10-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Dont know fererenz......why him?

LuckyVike
10-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Ditka!!!!!!

PurpleMafia
10-04-2005, 03:51 AM
I second him ^

Hitstick31
10-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Scott Linehan, Jim Fassel, Greg Williams or Donnie Henderson

slinkey
10-04-2005, 03:53 AM
LOL Ditka! well, the vikes could definitely use some discipline. someone who is not going to put up with "who got arrested this week" and oh, by the way, those guys SUCK the week the got arrested. in fact K. will still sucks...about 40 pounds overweight and making nothing happen. Id bench him until he is not a blimp.

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 03:53 AM
I want this guy he is going to be a great coach in the future.

http://www.sf49ers.com/team/CoachesBio.asp?CoachID=74

There is no way Ferentz or WEis are leaving college football so do not go wishing for them to become our next coach. Remember Zygi is a Giants fan so it is possible that we could have Jim Fassel as a new coach next year.

midgensa
10-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Scott Linehan should be our next coach, and should have been the head coach this season. Ditka is not a good coach and would not help us, Ferentz is another viable option and is definitely the hot name for the college to pro jump, he will likely be somewhere next season.

PurpleMafia
10-04-2005, 03:57 AM
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2624/wanstedt9ad.jpg
Your all wrong! Heres a real coach right here!

lol, in all honesty, I would like to see Brian Billick come back.

slinkey
10-04-2005, 04:01 AM
LMAO good god! how does the moron from miami still get head coaching jobs?// have you seen Pitt? they started the year #23...now they suck the snot...look at that pic above this post? looks like a drunk

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 04:03 AM
"slinkey" wrote:

LMAO good god! how does the silly guy from miami still get head coaching jobs?// have you seen Pitt? they started the year #23...now they suck the snot...look at that pic above this post? looks like a drunk

Didn't he lose to that football powerhouse known as Rutgers? I sure hope the Packers out bid us for his services. lol

PurpleMafia
10-04-2005, 04:08 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9919/wannstedtfunnyface2xf.jpg
heres another classy pic of wannstedt... lol

Yeah, I turned the game off last week when Rutgers was up 28-0 at the half...

spdolphs
10-04-2005, 04:13 AM
OK, no more Wanny. I don't think he'll be coaching in the NFL again.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/395/511/320/wanny.jpg

HOWEVER, I could see Kirk Ferentz from Iowa moving to the NFL next year. He turned the program around there and has been doing great. I think some team will snatch him.

As far as this year.....how about Kevin Mchale? :lol: He is used to taking over at midseason!

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm telling you PurpleMafia we need to hire Singletary as our head coach I think he will be great as the head man.

Mr. Purple
10-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Billick or Singletary

COJOMAY
10-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Scott Linehan or Bill Bellichek

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Enough with the offensive caoches lets get a defensive minded coach and win some darn games that matter in the postseason. Everyone wants Billick back but I doubt that Baltimore would let him go.

TommyK9
10-04-2005, 04:27 AM
The next coach for the purple is going to be non other than the genius behind the Herschel Walker trade.......Jimmy Johnson. With the Tuna and old man Gibbs coming out of retirement it opens the door for Mr perfect hair himself. You heard it here first.

singersp
10-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Hayden Fox
Minnesota Screaming Eagles

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Haydenfox.jpg

Lotza
10-04-2005, 05:08 AM
loney! lol

slinkey
10-04-2005, 05:08 AM
you said "head man" thats cool

PurpleMafia
10-04-2005, 05:13 AM
DarrinNelson, I think singletary would be an awesome choice.

Smashmouth ball! Thats what I wanna see!

Mr Anderson
10-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Ive been saying Fassel forever now, and I still think he'd be a great fit.

Lotza
10-04-2005, 05:46 AM
I say Ultra!

cajunvike
10-04-2005, 05:55 AM
"TommyK9" wrote:

The next coach for the purple is going to be non other than the genius behind the Herschel Walker trade.......Jimmy Johnson. With the Tuna and old man Gibbs coming out of retirement it opens the door for Mr perfect hair himself. You heard it here first.

Too bad he won't live in the North...but it would be cool for him to pay us back with three (or more) Super Bowl championships! :grin:

DeathtoDenny
10-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Say no to Fassel. He's a known cheater.

slinkey
10-04-2005, 06:06 AM
How bout alan page? from the bench! seriously though, I think a dart board could do better...or maybe just call suicide hotline before each play and ask what they think! LOL

VegasLadyJae
10-04-2005, 06:37 AM
#1 Scott Linehan, #2 Jeff Fisher ( if available ), #3 Kirk Ferentz ( Iowa - if available ), #4 Bobby Petrino ( Louisville - if available ), #5 Jimmy Johnson ( def. coordinator Eagles if available ) #6 Brian Billick ( if available ) #7 Jim Tressel ( Ohio St. if available ), #8 Al Saunders ( off. coordinator KC Chiefs ) Those are my wish list eight! With the Ok alternate being Jim Fassel.

BlowuptheDome
10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
How about Detroits Def. Coordinator D. Jauron. His defenses have always ranked in the top half of the league.

smootpepper
10-04-2005, 06:52 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

#1 Scott Linehan, #2 Jeff Fisher ( if available ), #3 Kirk Ferentz ( Iowa - if available ), #4 Bobby Petrino ( Louisville - if available ), #5 Jimmy Johnson ( def. coordinator Eagles if available ) #6 Brian Billick ( if available ) #7 Jim Tressel ( Ohio St. if available ), #8 Al Saunders ( off. coordinator KC Chiefs ) Those are my wish list eight! With the Ok alternate being Jim Fassel.

#1 #2 #5 #8 I would go with, but the rest I would pass on.

I dont think we need a college coach, we need an experienced coach at the pro level.

Billick was a great OC but sucks as a head coach imo. Fassel was run out of NY for a reason. He really isnt that great of a coach, and if you ever watched his teams play, they were boring. All ball controll, need 10 yards? He will run it for 3 yards.

Linehan might be the best option since we need someone to settle Cpep, But he worries me that we would end up with denny all over. All offense and no defense. Same for saunders. Fisher and johnson though might be the best choices, I would also add gray (bills DC) in there as well.

Overall not a bad list.

Schleppy
10-04-2005, 07:08 AM
how long is dungy signed for? That would be ironic, to win a sb just like billick, two of greens guys.....or Lloyd Carr!

VegasLadyJae
10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
I really only want Linehan or Fisher but the others are in order & basically would be happy with. Fassel, Billick whatever.

VegasLadyJae
10-04-2005, 07:13 AM
"Schleppy" wrote:

how long is dungy signed for? That would be ironic, to win a sb just like billick, two of greens guys.....or Lloyd Carr!

I believe Dungy just signed a contract extension through 08......When he is done winning would love to have him as Gopher head coach since he played for them.

VikingsExpress
10-04-2005, 07:15 AM
I think the eagles defensive cordinator would be awesome!

DaScRuM
10-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for opening my eyes to Singletary. I would take a chance on either him or Linehan. Although, I think Johnson would take the job-----------for lotsa $$$$$$$. He ain't gonna be cheap.

spdolphs
10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
"smootpepper" wrote:

#1 #2 #5 #8 I would go with, but the rest I would pass on.

I dont think we need a college coach, we need an experienced coach at the pro level.

Kirk Ferentz from Iowa was offensive line coach for Billicheck from 93-98. He is picked by many to be the next college coach to jump to the NFL. I think he would do great in Minnesota

mnjamie
10-04-2005, 03:54 PM
IMO their is only one name .... Gregg Williams from the Redskins. He is a great defensive mind and would be great with the current group of players we have now.

DEEP PURPLE
10-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Defensive Coaches

Jim Johnson (DC Eagles)
Monte Kiffen (DC Bucs)
Ed Donatell (DC Falcons)
Ron Rivera (DC Bears)

Offensive Coaches

Brad Childress (OC Eagles)
Can Cameron (OC Chargers)

I also really like the Jeff Fisher call if he finds himself unemployed at the end of the season.

DEEP PURPLE
10-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Didn't Gregg Williams run the show in Buffalo for a while and was a big flop??

Del Rio
10-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Jeff Fisher would make a good cord, I don't know how much good he would do us at head coach.

I think we need a guy that is either:

A) A very loud and aggressive coach that just oozes inspiration and excitement

B) An old succesful coach that the team knows has experience, knows has been succsessful and can get behind and support the scheme 100%

C) A very solid college coach that is in the spot light on some level for winning consistantly over time.

Of course the team would earn a young quite coaches respect if he can help them win. It's harder to win if the players are questioning your success.

Schleppy
10-04-2005, 04:56 PM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

"Schleppy" wrote:

I believe Dungy just signed a contract extension through 08......When he is done winning would love to have him as Gopher head coach since he played for them.

Thanks for the info, I have always like Tony. Rumor going around about Ditka and Johnson. That would be interesting!

audioghost
10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Scott Linnehan
Monte Kiffin
Mike Ditka
Tyrone Willingham

Sounds like the players want Linnehan....so Linnehan is my choice.

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I know I'm being repetative but if you can't get pumped up to play for a guy like Singletary even though he has no prior HC experience he worked under Billick in Baltimore and is now assistant head coach for Nolan in SF. Since we do things on the cheap here in Viking land I think he is our best choice, unless old Zygi does the unthinkable and opens the checkbook to get a big name coach.

Del Rio
10-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I think Singletary would fall under my B category. He is a coach now actually. A LB coach I believe. He is HOF, has been successful knows what it takes. I would support the move 100%

Would he come to the Vikings having been a bear for so long?

He reminds me of Jack Del Rio in his carreer path, I think he would make a very good head coach. His name would probably brink in some good cords too.

Muggsy
10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
One of these 3, or perhaps all, would be better than what we have now....

DOH!

Sorry, didn't like my .jpg of Moe, Larry, and Curly....

audioghost
10-04-2005, 05:18 PM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/maasx003/Vikings/images/unknown_comic.jpg

mnjamie
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

Didn't Gregg Williams run the show in Buffalo for a while and was a big flop??

He was like working under Red McCombs up in Buff ... with a good owner (Wilfi) or one willing to spend money (Snyder) he can and does work wonders.

DarrinNelsonguy
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think Singletary would fall under my B category. He is a coach now actually. A LB coach I believe. He is HOF, has been successful knows what it takes. I would support the move 100%

Would he come to the Vikings having been a bear for so long?

He reminds me of Jack Del Rio in his carreer path, I think he would make a very good head coach. His name would probably brink in some good cords too.

I see your point about the B category but I don't see us giving out big money to get a big name coach (maybe I am wrong and we get a big name coach, that can still coach) it would be great but I don't see that happening.

RK.
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
There is no point in just picking up a temp coach for this season like some are suggesting. We already have a temp coach. :razz: He has been that since he was hired IMO. If there is no one available that we really want to be the Vikings coach then we might as well suffer along with Mr T. :roll: I would have to believe that Fassel is probably the leading candidate because of his connection to Ziggy.

SamDawg84
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
lol ghost.

Mr. Purple
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
I'd like to trade Tice for Jim Mora JR. straight up, hell we'll even let them throw us a 3rd rounder to even it...

whackthepack
10-04-2005, 06:12 PM
"RK" wrote:

There is no point in just picking up a temp coach for this season like some are suggesting. We already have a temp coach. :razz: He has been that since he was hired IMO. If there is no one available that we really want to be the Vikings coach then we might as well suffer along with Mr T. :roll: I would have to believe that Fassel is probably the leading candidate because of his connection to Ziggy.

I agree and they should not fire Tice until after the season. And do not make Ted an interim head coach.

After the season you clean house, including the personnel and the scouting departments. The only person I would keep is Bersinski, because he is a cap genius.

I would also hire a GM, and let him pick his coach! We need more definition on what the chain of command in the Vikes organization. And we need it from the outside, completely start form ground zero, and let them decide what players come back and who they bring in.

singersp
10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

After the season you clean house, including the personnel and the scouting departments. The only person I would keep is Bersinski, because he is a cap genius.

There is no reason to get rid of our scouting personnel. We have one of the best scouting crews in the league. They always seem to get talented players early & deep in the draft. Memo & Smith were both 4th rounders. There were very few "lemons" in their picks.

Del Rio
10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Here's an off topic question I found myself thinking earlier today.

People say Green raped the defense. Tice gets a lot of praise on him rebuilding the defense. As I sit here thinking to myself what rank we have been under Tice, and under green I have to ask.

What exactly has Tice done that has panned out into anything worth a damn besides getting lucky on one DT? I mean he drafted two ends, one that is hurt, they haven't really made an impact either way.

Is there a guy I am missing in my equation?

snowinapril
10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Here's an off topic question I found myself thinking earlier today.

People say Green raped the defense. Tice gets a lot of praise on him rebuilding the defense. As I sit here thinking to myself what rank we have been under Tice, and under green I have to ask.

What exactly has Tice done that has panned out into anything worth a gol 'darnit besides getting lucky on one DT? I mean he drafted two ends, one that is hurt, they haven't really made an impact either way.

Is there a guy I am missing in my equation?

i agree

it is an illusion

he has attempted to make it batter by drafting D instead of the best talent, which is ok, but it doesn't necessarily make the D better.

the other thing is this, it tells me he has underachieved as a coach. people think the players are better and have gotten better but the D hasn't ranked better.

whackthepack
10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

There is no reason to get rid of our scouting personnel. We have one of the best scouting crews in the league. They always seem to get talented players early & deep in the draft. Memo & Smith were both 4th rounders. There were very few "lemons" in their picks.[quote="singersp

Really, let us see.

Michael Bennett (1st RD) Unless he has a huge turn around this is a bust.

Willie Howard (2nd RD) LB Bust

Eric Kelly (3rd RD) CB Bust

Brook Williams (3rd RD) CB Bust

Shaun Worthen (4th RD) DT Bust

Cedric James (4th RD) WR Bust

Patrick Chulwurah (5th RD) LB Bust

Carey Scott (6th RD) CB Bust

Brian Crowford (7th RD) OT Bust

McKinney (1st RD pick 7) OT, is playing better, but is still not at a probowl level.

Raonal Smith (2nd RD) LB, can't stay health and is very on and off player. Not an impact player.

Willie Offord (3rd RD) Safety, Willie was playing better and looking good before he was hurt. Hopefully he can make a comeback!

Brian Williams (4th RD)CB, still has to prove he has what it takes to be a starter in this league. Good nickle back, but can get burned.

Edward Taumu (4th RD) OG, Bust

Nick Rogers (6th RD) LB, Bust

Chad Beasly (7th RD) DT, Bust

Kevin Williams (1st RD 9th pick) DT, Kevin has been an all pro, this year has not been a factor in any games. Hopefully he has a better rest of the season, and stops beating up his wife and getting DUI's!

EJ Henderson (2nd Round) LB, is supposed to be the middle linebacker, but he is not able to make the defensive calls! As of yet not an impact player.

Nate Burleson (3rd RD) WR, Nate looks like the real deal.

Ontarrio Smith (4th RD) RB, had all the potential in the world, had problems in college and that is why he fell to the 4th round. Other teams were worried about his character, they were right!

Eddie Johnson (6th RD) Punter, Bust

Mike Nattiel (6th RD) LB, Bust

Keenan Howry (7th RD) WR, guy should not be in the league! Bust

Kenechi Udeze (1st RD 20th pick) DE, Kenechi has been hurt last year and so far this year. Has looked good but has not proven he can be an elite end and pass rusher. Book is still out!

Dontarius Thomas (2nd RD) LB, is lost when he is on the field. As of yet not an impact player. He needs to do a lot better, this could be a bust pick!

Darrion Scott (3rd RD) DE/DT, the book is still out on Darrion he could go either way.

Nate Dorsey (4th RD) OT, traded for a backup center from Cleveland that was not able to start there. This is a bad pick, reportedly Tice hated the way he played.

Rod Davis (5th RD) LB, has looked terrible and lost when he has played this year. Maybe he can turn it around and make this a good pick?

Deandre Eiland (6th RD) CB, Bust...............this guy did not have the talent to play in the NFL bad pick.

Jeff Dugan (7th RD) TE, if he was not on Vikes he would be out of the league, bad pick.

Troy Williams (1st RD 7th pick) WR, I think he is going to be special and a star in the league, great pick. I hope I am right!

Erasmus James (1st RD pick 18) DE, Could be impact player but it to early to tell. I am hoping and praying that he can be the pass rusher we have dreamed about!

Marcus Johnson (2nd RD) OG, I think he will be a starter on our line for 10 to 12 years and will be all pro. having a rough start but that is not uncommon for a rookie starting on the O-line.

Dustin Fox (3rd RD) CB/Safety, From everything I have heard about this guy he was a reach in the 3rd round, should have been a 5th or 6th round player. We will have to wait and see what he does next year!!!

Ciatrick Fason (4th RD) RB, do not know. He has not played a lot, and has not proven that he is a special player yet. All I know is that our running game sucks and he has not been in, is he the stud we hope for? another wait and see!!!!!

CJ Mosley (6th RD) DT, who knows? He supposedly an attitude problem, have to wait and see.

Adrian Ward (7th RD) CB, Bust.

There was some lemons in those picks!

SWAYZE74
10-04-2005, 09:38 PM
ferentz aint goin any where..iowa gave him an extension til after like 2010...seriously..and he still has a son in high school and doesnt want to move him...my pics would be either the redskins D-coordinator or the steelers D-coordinator...

peace...

GreenBaySlackers
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
"SWAYZE74" wrote:

ferentz aint goin any where..iowa gave him an extension til after like 2010...seriously..and he still has a son in high school and doesnt want to move him...my pics would be either the redskins D-coordinator or the steelers D-coordinator...

peace...

DIck Lebow used to shop were i work when he was cincy's HC. He kinda sucked, or maybe it was just the "bengal effect."

singersp
10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Really, let us see.

McKinney (1st RD pick 7) OT, is playing better, but is still not at a probowl level.

Raonal Smith (2nd RD) LB, can't stay health and is very on and off player. Not an impact player.

Willie Offord (3rd RD) Safety, Willie was playing better and looking good before he was hurt. Hopefully he can make a comeback!

Brian Williams (4th RD)CB, still has to prove he has what it takes to be a starter in this league. Good nickle back, but can get burned.

Kevin Williams (1st RD 9th pick) DT, Kevin has been an all pro, this year has not been a factor in any games. Hopefully he has a better rest of the season, and stops beating up his wife and getting DUI's!

EJ Henderson (2nd Round) LB, is supposed to be the middle linebacker, but he is not able to make the defensive calls! As of yet not an impact player.

Ontarrio Smith (4th RD) RB, had all the potential in the world, had problems in college and that is why he fell to the 4th round. Other teams were worried about his character, they were right!

Kenechi Udeze (1st RD 20th pick) DE, Kenechi has been hurt last year and so far this year. Has looked good but has not proven he can be an elite end and pass rusher. Book is still out!

Dontarius Thomas (2nd RD) LB, is lost when he is on the field. As of yet not an impact player. He needs to do a lot better, this could be a bust pick!

Darrion Scott (3rd RD) DE/DT, the book is still out on Darrion he could go either way.

Nate Dorsey (4th RD) OT, traded for a backup center from Cleveland that was not able to start there. This is a bad pick, reportedly Tice hated the way he played.

Rod Davis (5th RD) LB, has looked terrible and lost when he has played this year. Maybe he can turn it around and make this a good pick?

Deandre Eiland (6th RD) CB, Bust...............this guy did not have the talent to play in the NFL bad pick.

Jeff Dugan (7th RD) TE, if he was not on Vikes he would be out of the league, bad pick.

Troy Williams (1st RD 7th pick) WR, I think he is going to be special and a star in the league, great pick. I hope I am right!

Erasmus James (1st RD pick 18) DE, Could be impact player but it to early to tell. I am hoping and praying that he can be the pass rusher we have dreamed about!

Marcus Johnson (2nd RD) OG, I think he will be a starter on our line for 10 to 12 years and will be all pro. having a rough start but that is not uncommon for a rookie starting on the O-line.

Dustin Fox (3rd RD) CB/Safety, From everything I have heard about this guy he was a reach in the 3rd round, should have been a 5th or 6th round player. We will have to wait and see what he does next year!!!

Ciatrick Fason (4th RD) RB, do not know. He has not played a lot, and has not proven that he is a special player yet. All I know is that our running game sucks and he has not been in, is he the stud we hope for? another wait and see!!!!!

CJ Mosley (6th RD) DT, who knows? He supposedly an attitude problem, have to wait and see.

Geez Whack, you left out a just a few big names from your list including Mewelde Moore;

Studwell has been a part of successful drafts that have included Robert Smith (1st round, '93), Todd Steussie (1st, '94), David Palmer (2nd, '94), Korey Stringer (1st, '95), Orlando Thomas (2nd, '95), Dwayne Rudd (1st, '97), Randy Moss (1st, '98), Kailee Wong (2nd, '98), Matt Birk (6th, '98), Daunte Culpepper (1st, '99), Jim Kleinsasser (2nd, '99), Chris Hovan (1st, '00), Michael Bennett (1st, '01), Bryant McKinnie (1st, '02), Kevin Williams (1st, '03) and Kenchi Udeze (1st, '04). In 2004 Kevin Williams, in just his second season, was selected to the Pro Bowl and was named first team All-Pro. Every player selected in the 2003 draft made the team for the first time in team history. The players drafted in 2004 played in 85 games and started 32 of them while the Vikings rookie free agents played in another 32 games and started 9 of them.

Let's see, you want him gone, so who you gonna relace him with & what is his track record?

Webby
10-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Plus, get back to reality.

WHICH team has a draft in which every player in every round went on to make huge contributions and they do it year in and out.

That's not even possible. If every team drafted a 10-12 year pro-bowler with every pick....not enough talent for that or the rosters couldn't support that kind of talent.

singersp
10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

WHICH team has a draft in which every player in every round went on to make huge contributions and they do it year in and out.

That's not even possible. If every team drafted a 10-12 year pro-bowler with every pick....not enough talent for that or the rosters couldn't support that kind of talent.

Alls I'm saying is the Vikes are one of the better teams that do quite well in the draft, compared to other teams & I wouldn't change anything there.

I think that's what you're saying as well Webby. Correct me if I'm wrong.

whackthepack
10-05-2005, 12:44 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Really, let us see.

Geez Whack, you left out a just a few big names from your list including Mewelde Moore;

Studwell has been a part of successful drafts that have included Robert Smith (1st round, '93), Todd Steussie (1st, '94), David Palmer (2nd, '94), Korey Stringer (1st, '95), Orlando Thomas (2nd, '95), Dwayne Rudd (1st, '97), Randy Moss (1st, '98), Kailee Wong (2nd, '98), Matt Birk (6th, '98), Daunte Culpepper (1st, '99), Jim Kleinsasser (2nd, '99), Chris Hovan (1st, '00), Michael Bennett (1st, '01), Bryant McKinnie (1st, '02), Kevin Williams (1st, '03) and Kenchi Udeze (1st, '04). In 2004 Kevin Williams, in just his second season, was selected to the Pro Bowl and was named first team All-Pro. Every player selected in the 2003 draft made the team for the first time in team history. The players drafted in 2004 played in 85 games and started 32 of them while the Vikings rookie free agents played in another 32 games and started 9 of them.

Let's see, you want him gone, so who you gonna relace him with & what is his track record?

Read the list again,

And Studwell was a part of the scouting but was not in charge of it until the Tice regime and Denny had the say in who he drafted! Studwell was not the person that headed the scouting dept, so prior to that he may have had input but was not responsible for that person even being drafted or on the list!

And maybe read my post better, he has had some good picks, but some very bad ones too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2001 horrible, the Michael Bennett is the only person on the team and he will be gone after this year. So nobody on our team next year from a draft 4 years ago, that is bad!

I would not blame Ziggy for firing everybody and starting over!

But no lemons, get a clue!

singersp
10-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Read mine again I never said no lemons. Also Scott was one of the scouts responsible for finding those players prior to his promotion. Why do you think he got it. It's still an impressive list.

whackthepack
10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
In the last four years we have drafted 7 LB and 6 CB, none are even close to being a probowl caliber player.

That is a lot of draft picks for 2 positions!

That is not counting any rookie free agents signing, which there has been a few a each position

FuadFan
10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Really, let us see.

Read the list again,

And Studwell was a part of the scouting but was not in charge of it until the Tice regime and Denny had the say in who he drafted! Studwell was not the person that headed the scouting dept, so prior to that he may have had input but was not responsible for that person even being drafted or on the list!

And maybe read my post better, he has had some good picks, but some very bad ones too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2001 horrible, the Michael Bennett is the only person on the team and he will be gone after this year. So nobody on our team next year from a draft 4 years ago, that is bad!

But no lemons, get a clue!You can't really call anybody in the second day of the draft a bust how many people there become true stars in the league? I say since from 2002-2005 we have at least four players from each year tht have made the team I'm sure you could look at other teams drafts and not find such a good percentange of players making the team. Just because a guy is not starting does not mean they do not contribute to the team.

whackthepack
10-05-2005, 12:57 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Read mine again I never said no lemons. Also Scott was one of the scouts responsible for finding those players prior to his promotion. Why do you think he got it. It's still an impressive list.

OK you said very few lemons, and I disagree! Our drafts have not been gang busters.

I still say there is just as good of talent scouts and judges out there as what we have or better, and if they replace what we have I will not cry about it!

We have had some bad draft picks.

Mr. Purple
10-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Ya we do well in the draft...We sure did snag up Bennett over Duece Mcalister! BOOM HAHA SAINTS ARE SUCKERS....or are they?

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
10-05-2005, 01:13 AM
#1 Kirk Ferentz (Iowa), #2 Jimmy Johnson (Eagles D-Cord), #3 Scott Leniihan, #4 Mack Brown (Texas).

Burley81
10-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Looking at that list, our 01 draft really sucked!

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
10-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Is the answer to our coaching problems. I am from Iowa, not a hawkeye fan what-so-ever. What is does is hands down amazing, genius. Plays respect him, gets the job done. His hawkeyes are struggling, no defensive line (all graduated or was drafted). He's just good, smooth. My dad manages an insurance agency here in West Des Moines. Well, you know how colleges have job fairs or w/e you call them. My dad goes, he likes hiring athletes. They are more self-disiplined, hardworking (and tell good stories). Kirk is just classy guy, he shows up and makes sure his player get looked at. "This guy here, he worked his tail off for me for 5 years, and I promise you he will do it for you too." Classy, great coach. Just what Minny needs.

Webby
10-05-2005, 01:47 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Alls I'm saying is the Vikes are one of the better teams that do quite well in the draft, compared to other teams & I wouldn't change anything there.

I think that's what you're saying as well Webby. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, forgot to quote Whack.,..I was agreeing with Singer and making that suggestion to Whack.

I am on vacation, I am getting sloppy!!

whackthepack
10-05-2005, 05:57 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:
[quote]Really, let us see.

Read the list again,

But no lemons, get a clue!

let's add 2000 to the mix, I did not because Tice did not take over tell the last game. But Studwell (my favorite Viking LB of all time) was on the scouting team.

And for another psot I will not say Bust, I will say out of the NFL!

Chris Hovan (1st RD pick 25) DT, Chris had a good first couple years but went down hill quickly. Hopefully in Tampa he has resurrected his career.

Fred Robbins (2nd RD) DT, Not in the NFL for years

Mike Boireau (2nd RD) DE, Not in the NFL for years

Doug Chapman (3rd RD) RB, out of the NFL

Antonio Wilson (4th RD) LB, out of the NFL

Tyrone Carter (4th RD) CB, believe he is out of the NFL again.

Troy Walters (5th RD) WR, Out of the NFL

Mike Malano (7th RD) C, out of the NFL

Giles Cole (7th RD) TE, out fo the NFL

Lewis Kelly (7th RD) OG, out of the NFL

2 years of drafting 4 & 5 years ago and next year probably no players will be left on our team!!!!

That is not great scouting!

Del Rio
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
There were some pretty good picks in the drafts. Some picks that didn't pan out. I wouldn't say we are one of the better teams at drafting personally.

We take chances, sometimes they pay off sometimes they don't. Tice hasn't helped the defense with the picks under his tenure they still suck. Sometimes I think the Vikings take a shot on someone just to be able to say SEE HAHAHAHA we got this guy here.....and he is GOOD!!!!

In reality most of the time they just slip away into obscurity.

RK.
10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

There were some pretty good picks in the drafts. Some picks that didn't pan out. I wouldn't say we are one of the better teams at drafting personally.

We take chances, sometimes they pay off sometimes they don't. Tice hasn't helped the defense with the picks under his tenure they still suck. Sometimes I think the Vikings take a shot on someone just to be able to say SEE HAHAHAHA we got this guy here.....and he is GOOD!!!!

Maybe some of our picks just lacked good coaching that could make them good players. :?: Case in point. Chris Hovan didn't do well here however he seems to be doing well in FL. He even said that at last he has a good coach helping his play, something he lacked in MN. And Hovan is not the only ex-Vike that has been less that complimentary of the coaching in MN the last few years.

I think Studwell is a good scout and brings quality people to MN however the inept coaching here doesn't always use that talent to its best advantage.

DEEP PURPLE
10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Fred Robbins (Giants)
Troy Walters (Colts)
Tyrone Carter (Steelers)

Please do some homework!!!!

Del Rio
10-05-2005, 08:43 PM
"RK" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Maybe some of our picks just lacked good coaching that could make them good players. :?: Case in point. Chris Hovan didn't do well here however he seems to be doing well in FL. He even said that at last he has a good coach helping his play, something he lacked in MN. And Hovan is not the only ex-Vike that has been less that complimentary of the coaching in MN the last few years.

I think Studwell is a good scout and brings quality people to MN however the inept coaching here doesn't always use that talent to its best advantage.

Good point, and I have been keeping an eye on mullet man (Hovan.) He is having a pretty good year so far!

whackthepack
10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

Fred Robbins (Giants)
Troy Walters (Colts)
Tyrone Carter (Steelers)

First: I apologize and I should have checked more! I did forget all about Robbins, and he did have a good year last year!

Second: Bite me, I do not need a newby telling me sh*t!

Third: Walters should be out of the league, he is cr*p! He is not a good receiver, or good at punt or kick-off returns. Maybe Dunge feels sorry for him!

Fourth: Carter has been cut and brought back so many times, how could anyone keep track of wether he is in the league or not!

Fifth: My point is still none of these guys are on the Vikes and none of them are helping us from that draft!

Sixth: Bite me again!

DaunteHOF
10-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Ditka!!!

michaelmazid
10-05-2005, 11:03 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

Fred Robbins (Giants)
Troy Walters (Colts)
Tyrone Carter (Steelers)

First: I apologize and I should have checked more! I did forget all about Robbins, and he did have a good year last year!

Second: Bite me, I do not need a newby telling me sh*t!

Third: Walters should be out of the league, he is cr*p! He is not a good receiver, or good at punt or kick-off returns. Maybe Dunge fells sorry for him!

Fourth: Carter has been cut and brought back so many times, how could anyone keep track of wether he is in the league or not!

Fifth: My point is still none of these guys are on the Vikes and none of them are helping us from that draft!

Sixth: Bite me again!

LMAO :lol:

DesertPurple
10-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Perhaps the Tampa Bay Defensive Line Coach...name escapes me at the moment....might be a good choice for a future Vikings HEAD coach....if Tice/Vikes don't turn around.

"Chris Hovan didn't do well here however he seems to be doing well in FL. He even said that at last he has a good coach helping his play, something he lacked in MN. And Hovan is not the only ex-Vike that has been less that complimentary of the coaching in MN the last few years."

SamDawg84
10-06-2005, 12:53 AM
no way . we shouldnt go get ditka. we should get saunders or maybe kiffen or maybe cunningham (gunther)

arialassault84
10-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Eagles: Jim Johnson
Baltimore: Brian Billeck
Miami: Scott Lenihen
USC: Pete Carroll
U of L: Bobby Petrino
Tampa: Monte Kiffin

Vikes
10-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Joe Torre....ANYONE that can deal with George Steinbrenner.

VegasLadyJae
10-06-2005, 03:11 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

Say arialassault84, looks like you & I somewhat on the same page with my post from yesterday.........

akvikefan89
10-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Alright, I've officially crossed over onto the "send Tice packing" side. Zygi wants to win and will pay for a good coach. Who will be looking for a job next year that would be a good option? Thoughts?

MensaTice
10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Finally enlightened are you? There are a number of head coaches I wouldn't mind having but the more important thing is that Zygi will probably be willing to also pay for two great coordinators along with a good HC.

singersp
10-07-2005, 01:18 PM
And yet another coaching thread. :roll:
The thread "New coach suggestions" already covers this topic.

Good head coaches usually aren't looking for work, poor head coaches are. That's why they're looking.
For head coach it would have to be someone retired, someone from the college ranks or another coach from another team that is promoted to be a head coach for the Vikings.
If it's gonna happen, promoting from within is not an option, no one is qualified for HC IMO. There are 18 coaching positions that will need to be looked at. We still don't have a full-time coach for the O-line or offensive coordinator positions.
With the budget Red McScrooge gave Tice to man his staff, there are a lot of sub-par "will coach for food" & "minimum wage" type so-called coaches that should be replaced with qualified, respected, experienced & proven coaches.
22 out of the NFL's 32 teams (73%) have .500 records or less. 13 of those teams are below .500. If the trend is to fire coaches with those types of records, there should be a lot of coaches looking for work.

brad.arth
10-07-2005, 03:00 PM
What's wrong with Denny Green? I thought he was great...well he was nothing to laugh at. I at least felt the Vikings had somthing going on with him as the coach

jwicks
10-07-2005, 08:49 PM
What about Mike Holmgren. If the seahawks dont do something this year he could be fired and the vikes could sign him as only a head coach and not a gm too. I think everyone painfully remembers how successful he was with the pack.

singersp
10-07-2005, 11:46 PM
"TommyK9" wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but the answer from J.J is "NO".

Although Jimmy Johnson's name has been thrown around as a potential replacement for Mike Tice should the Vikings make a coaching change, the Fox NFL studio analyst said he is happily retired from coaching and has had no contact with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf.

"I have no interest in coaching," said Johnson, who led the Dallas Cowboys to consecutive victories in Super Bowls XXVII and XXVIII and later coached the Miami Dolphins. "I love what I'm doing with Fox. I get to sleep a lot better on Sunday night."

Johnson, who lives in the Florida Keys and commutes to Los Angeles for Fox's studio show on weekends, also admitted it might be difficult for him to adjust to Minnesota winters.

"Although the Vikings play inside, it would be hard for me to go out scuba diving," he said.

Johnson coached with both Foge Fazio and Jerry Rhome, the veteran NFL assistants Tice brought in this week to help evaluate his team.

"That's just an indicator to me that Zygi Wilf is trying to do some things to correct some of the problems," Johnson said. "Unfortunately it's hard to correct those things while you're playing games. That's really an offseason adjustment, but [Wilf] is trying to make an impact. That shows progress. The previous ownership was cutting corners, and at least it looks like Zygi is trying to do some things."

viks_fan21
10-08-2005, 12:43 AM
yeah, that's too bad. he would be a great coach.

renovikesfan
10-08-2005, 09:55 PM
HC: Jimmy Johnson (ret.) or Mike Holmgren - Wilf, unlike McCheap, is willing to pay good money in order to WIN.

OC: Any prominent college HC or OC, considering they'd have a chance to get promoted to HC within a year or two...or Cris Carter.

DC: Mike Singletary, Bud Grant, or Howie Long...if not them, then do the same thing as the OC position.

Special Teams: Chris Walsh...if not him, then ANYBODY...Tillman is worthless!!!

QB coach: Warren Moon

WR coach: Tim Brown

RB coach: Bobby Turner (Broncos RB coach)

O-line coach: Rick Dennison (Broncos O-line coach).....best-case scenario would be to just have Tice take his old job back, though.

D-line coach: Hmmm...what are our Purple People Eaters doing nowadays? I know Page has a pretty nice gig as Supreme Court Justice, so he's probably out...LOL Keith Millard? How about Big Dog Randle?

LB coach: Studwell could take this job and still do scouting.

DB coach: Ronnie Lott or Paul Krause

mnvikes61
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
why don't we just bring back a young Bud Grant? :roll:
that staff, though it'd be awesome, would be almost impossible to get.. let's be realistic

singersp
10-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Jimmy Johnson already said "NO" when the media asked him. TV's a good gidg & why give that up.

Tillman isn't worthless --- he's just rusty! :lol: :lol: lmao

mnvikes61
10-09-2005, 02:00 AM
when did JJ say no? i didn't even know we had approached him for the job. did the media just assume we were hunting for a new HC or did JJ just straight up say that?

singersp
10-09-2005, 02:05 AM
I posted it on this thread. look for the article I posted just yesterday about 6 posts up

mnvikes61
10-09-2005, 02:08 AM
oh my bad singer... i missed that.

akvikefan89
10-09-2005, 07:55 AM
More than likely Tice will not be our coach anymore, The whole coaching staff may look different, who knows? It will look different though, I'm glad we got Ziggy as our owner, he will pay for coaches, scouting, and players :cool:

Anyways, just got to thinking about what this franchise will look like next year.

I'm not throwing in the towel or anything, just an interesting thought....

WBLVikeBabe
10-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I always wonder what our team will look like from season to season but I usually don't start thinking that until the end of the season. I guess right now I'm just trying to picture what the rest of this season is going to look like hopefully many wins to come!

mnvikes61
10-09-2005, 08:02 AM
if we don't have a coaching change next year, i'll be happy means that we did good the rest of the season.

i'm with you on this WBL, i really don't start thinking about next year until we are completely out of the season during the offseason when moves are being executed and then we see what kind of team will be playing in the coming year. who would have thought we would have all these news defensive starters at the end of last season?

COJOMAY
10-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Just read this in the Tribune. I doubt that Tark would ever coach but it looks like Zygi's reaching out to anyone who can help. I appreciate that in him.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said one of the reasons he had Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton in his executive box at last week's game at Atlanta was that Wilf is looking for information from anybody he believes can help improve the overall operation of the franchise. "At this point, Tarkenton has been invaluable in my discussions with him," Wilf said. "He gives me an outlook for what to look for. I'll be definitely drawing from other professionals around the league. I've been doing that more on an introduction basis, but I'm sure as the season goes on and as it completes, I'm sure we're going to reach out so we can get the best advice and move this team forward."

umaguma1979
10-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Tark is so far out of the game..... its ridiculous. C'mon now, don't ya think th egame has changed just a little?......If Tark was in his prime right now....I think he would have thrown 20 picks......the game has changed.

mnvikes61
10-10-2005, 06:18 AM
the game has changed, but i think if he was around it for awhile he should be able to pick up the learning curve. i would say the defenses he saw were a lot more dominant than even the best defenses today, so he might be able to come up with some decent schemes

so-cal vike
10-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Anybody but the three stooges.

mnvikes61
10-10-2005, 06:48 AM
how bout instead of changing all our coaches we start playing with some heart? i've seen glimpses of it so i know there is some there we just need to be more consistent

akvikefan89
10-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Wasn't it Sharper who said that it takes 5 weeks or so to gell? We can always hope.... :grin:

Too bad K-Will got, um....well...uh...kind of....um...Fat and sluggish :sad:

I wonder how much bringing in these mentor dudes will help...?

mnvikes61
10-10-2005, 06:55 AM
the only way i see these mentor guys helping out at all is with the offensive. now we won't have one guy trying to deal with two completely different situations.

WBLVikeBabe
10-10-2005, 08:09 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

how bout instead of changing all our coaches we start playing with some heart? i've seen glimpses of it so i know there is some there we just need to be more consistent

I agree mn. I've seen it in a few players, it has to transfer over to all the other players as well though. I want to see them play like they did when they clobbered GB last year in the playoffs and they all came out with their afro's. You always knew they were out there having a good time when they came out with the fro's!

skum
10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Here's our new HC:

http://www.minnesotascore.com/articles/images/dane-home.jpg

Morten Andersen :)

Cheers from Denmark..

DEEP PURPLE
10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
whackthepack, sorry so slow on the response, I was busy getting married this past weekend, If you did the nessessary reserch you wouldn't have a "Newbie" telling you whats what!!! No hard feelings just thought it needed to be pointed out for the good of the group.

V4L
10-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Keep what we got.. Atleast for the rest of this year.. We did the right thing and brought in some consultants.. Zygi is trying to make this work and im glad.. Red was a beeeatch

SamDawg84
10-11-2005, 05:11 PM
we should get kiffin or saunders! like i have been saying for like the last 100 days

bleedpurple
10-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Kippin would be good. but I also think we should look at Brian Childers O-coor of the Eagles or Greg Williams for the skins. I think either of those guys would be decent. I'd lean more toward Williams since he has been a head coach before and the second time around may be better. (Look at Belichek).

SamDawg84
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
lol his name is kiffin not kippin. i want denny back also. or maybe we should get shanahan