PDA

View Full Version : Pass me a tissue...

Caine
10-03-2005, 08:21 PM
4 weeks under our belts, and our predictions of a NFCN route don't look to be gelling. We lost - again - to Atlanta...something I'm still steamed about. But, I waited a day before posting...just to clear my head.

So far, this is what I've seen:

Whaaaa #1: "Fire Tice" - OK, while I will admit that even I don't believe our coaching is getting it done, stop and think for a minute. With whom do we replace him? Cottrell? Give me a friggin' break. Cottrell couldn't find his butt with both hands if you lit it on fire!!! He couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel!!! In New York, he took a great defense, and made it crappy, then got fired. The only difference here is that he started with a crappy Defense.

Whaaaa #2: "Too many guys out injured". Yeah, New England is really falling apart too....oh, wait. But at least McNabb is.....oh...wait.....no he isn't. Injuries happen. Sure, we've had a bad run of luck, but NO ONE has stepped up. NO ONE...on EITHER side of the ball.

Whaaaa #3: "Our O-Line sucks". Yeah, it's a shame that they can only give Culpepper 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. While they may not exactly be dominating Defenses, they aren't exactly tossing open the flood gates either.

Whaaa #4: "Culpepper Sucks". Really? Yeah, he's struggling. And, yeah, he looks lost right now, but it isn't entirely Culpepper. There's a much bigger problem in Minnesota.

From where I sit, it isn't any one of these things that is killing us...it's ALL OF THEM. Tice isn't getting it done, but there's NO ONE to replace him. We've been riddled with injuries - especially on Defense - and NO ONE has stepped up. Our O-Line ISN'T dominating defensive fronts and opening holes for the ruinning game. And, finally, Culpepper looks like a deer in headlights.

Yeah, I'm pissed. I watched our boys walk into Atlanta and manage to look baffled, befuddled, and bewildered throughout the entire game. I was humiliated just sitting alone watching. It isn't Tice, it isn't the Defense, it isn't the O-line, it isn't Culpepper, it's ALL OF THEM.

They have managed in 4 short weeks to take a Championship contender (on paper) and turn it into the Washington Redskins...except the 'Skins are friggin 3-0!!!

I tried like hell to take somnething positive away from the Atlanta game...I really did. The ONLY thing I could come up with was, "At least we've been beaten by 2 undefeated teams and a contender"....whoopie-do-ding-dong!!! That's small consolation while watching our season disintegrate in front of us.

CAN they turn it around? Well, I think they COULD...but I'm not so sure about their HEART anymore. As much as many will hate to hear this, maybe Moss DID make Culpepper...maybe THAT'S why our Offense can't get anything going. But what about the Defense? Are they really that bad? Or, is it more the fact that Cottrell is that bad? I'm leaning towards the latter myself.

The only other positive we have is that this is our Bye week. We cannot humiliate ourselves any further for another 2 weeks. And, truth be told, that's how our guys should feel right now...HUMILIATED. Maybe THAT would be the kick-in-the-ass they'd need to fire up and play with some friggin' HEART! If not, I'd be more than happy to drive up to Minnesota and kick their collective asses around the field for an hour or so. Maybe having a 39-year-old nobody bitch-slap them around like wannabe's would light their fires.

So, CAN they turn it around? Sure they can...but THEY have to want to. There are 12 games left...plenty of time to drive for the title...but only if THEY want it. I can't make them want it...and neither can anyone else here.

Rest assured, I will walk into work today - into that stinking den of inbred drooling packer fans - wearing MY colors. I will swallow my humiliation and face the enemy on their home ground. And if they beat Carolina tonight, it will be a LOOOOONG 2 weeks for me. But, I will face it head on...just like I do every year. Maybe our guys could use some of MY intensity.

Have boot, will travel.

Caine

Caine
10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Note, I'm not calling it quits on the season...I'm simply saying it's gut check time. With 12 games remaining, we can still get back on track...but NOW is the time to do it.

Caine

Del Rio
10-03-2005, 08:47 PM
It's going to take a miracle, the train has de-railed lol.

I don't know if replacing a coach mid-season is worse then keeping one on that everyone knows will be fired. Your going to lose regardless. Tice knows he is done.

Purplefeet
10-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Where is Bud when you need him.....and we need him baaaad.

You're right, this is all bad and not gonna get better. I just hate to see Tice and this staff now, no more excuses. I don't want to see Tice coach this team 12 more weeks when its 20-1 he will be fired at seasons end, and the players know it. If the trigger gets pulled now at least two weeks to get a simple, basic O and D going. And really, not like it could be much worse, seriously. Once you get low, how low can you go? Right now this is a 3-13 team........wow.

RK.
10-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Nice post as always Caine. :smile: People keep saying that replacing Tice and Co will tank the rest of the season for us. I keep wondering what season they are talking about? Where is it they think we are going this season. Just think the end of the season slump of the last two years hasn't even happened yet. :???: At this point I am not even confident that we can beat the Packers. :sad: The big question is who does Ziggy get to replace Tice?

tarkenton10
10-03-2005, 09:50 PM
How about Ronald Mcdonald, he is a better candidate than Tice. It's time to cut that monkey loose. Like RK said what season? With Tice at the helm we are going to go 3-13. So what if we get a new coach and we go 2-14, I really don't think it will make much of a difference.

Wilfe has to make sure to get a no nonsense coach. I am so tired of these players coaches, we haven't had a strong coach since Grant!!!! Burns frittered away probably our best chances at a super bowl title, followed by Green. They had awesome talent that underachieved because they didn't have discipline. Now monkey Mike would rather take a bath with these guys than hollar at them. And his game plans must be federal expressed from some kintergarden teacher. He needs to go and right now, get a decent interim coach and find a Charlie Weis out there!!!

Freya
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Nice post Caine.

countrygirl
10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
How bout Ditka? At least he'd be entertaining.

Prophet
10-03-2005, 11:31 PM
LOL, keep fighting the good fight Caine. The kickers did a good job, that was a bright spot.

ultravikingfan
10-03-2005, 11:34 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Note, I'm not calling it quits on the season...I'm simply saying it's gut check time. With 12 games remaining, we can still get back on track...but NOW is the time to do it.

Caine

With the bye week and rest the Vikes will get, we will see if anybody will step-up...coaches too!

snowinapril
10-03-2005, 11:58 PM
"countrygirl" wrote:

Ditka in the "ROLLERDOME."

Man he was entertaining.

LOL

Pirate
10-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Bad gatorade?

Mr. Purple
10-04-2005, 12:51 AM
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=angels+in+the+endzone/v=2/SID=e/TID=I056_77/l=IVI/SIG=12hu0mo47/EXP=1128466226/*-http%3A//disney.wretch.cc/mvdata/data/Angels_in_the_Endzone.jpg

Mr. Purple
10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
we need a lil of that right now:(

TheAnimal93
10-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Thanks CAINE!! I needed the gut check myself. What was I thinking blaming Everyone but mostly Pep? :lol: :lol:

Rookie444
10-05-2005, 02:06 AM
whats goin on...

RandyMoss8404
10-05-2005, 02:08 AM
From profootballtalk.com

2. The Vikings Traded The Wrong Guy.

We're now convinced that the Minnesota Vikings should have kept receiver Randy Moss.

And that they should have traded quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

Just think of the pack of picks that Vikes could have pecked for 'Pepper. Culpepper was coming off of one of the best quarterback seasons in NFL history, in which easily would have been the MVP but for Peyton Manning and his 49 touchdown passes. Regarded (at the time) as a can't-miss leader poised to join the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks, as many as a dozen teams would have been interested.

If the Vikes had made the move, they would have pulled off the true Reverse Herschel, snookering an unsuspecting owner who would have thunk that he'd landed a guy around whom a franchise can be built.

Of course, a discerning trade partner would have been leery of the fact that Culpepper might not quite be the same without Moss -- even though Daunte was stellar during Randy's temporary absence last season with a hamstring injury. The deeper concern rightly would have been whether Culpepper would be the same guy without offensive coordinator Scott Linehan drawing up the X's and O's -- and without backup Gus Frerotte helping to keep Daunte focused and confident.

Sure, Moss is, was, and always will be a pain in the butt. But his ability to draw constant double coverage improves the overall performance of an offense, and the Meathead should have set aside his personal disdain for Moss to realize that, like the revolving door of tailbacks in Denver who have benefited from the presence of a stellar blocking scheme, the ability of guys like Brad Johnson and Randall Cunningham and Jeff George to play like Pro Bowlers with Moss in the offense had something to do with the presence of Moss on the field.

The fact that Culpepper quietly lobbied for more money prior to the season suggests that he perhaps also was quietly lobbying for the team to shed Moss.

In hindsight, the Vikings screwed this one up royally. They should've poop-canned 'Pep and retreated to Denny Green's system of fungible passers who can throw the deep ball.

Though it's too late to get good value for Daunte now, we suggest that the Meathead have him take a game or two off and give Brad Johnson a chance to finish what he started with the Vikings nearly a decade ago. Johnson still have enough left in the tank to get it done, and we have a weird feeling that he'd be effective if given a chance.

-----

PurplePackerEater
10-05-2005, 02:26 AM
Sure, Moss is, was, and always will be a pain in the butt. But his ability to draw constant double coverage improves the overall performance of an offense, and the Meathead should have set aside his personal disdain for Moss to realize that, like the revolving door of tailbacks in Denver who have benefited from the presence of a stellar blocking scheme, the ability of guys like Brad Johnson and Randall Cunningham and Jeff George to play like Pro Bowlers with Moss in the offense had something to do with the presence of Moss on the field.

Let's not forget Todd Bouman, who recieved the "Player of the Week honors" a couple years back and then was injured.

Mmm, who benifited from who? Moss made every "nobody" and "washed up" QB look good (-Wynn). Culpepper made...wait, he hasn't made ANYBODY look good.

TheAnimal93
10-05-2005, 02:32 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

Let's not forget Todd Bouman, who recieved the "Player of the Week honors" a couple years back and then was injured.

Mmm, who benifited from who? Moss made every "nobody" and "washed up" QB look good (-Wynn). Culpepper made...wait, he hasn't made ANYBODY look good.
Oh contrare......
He has made the opposing defenses look like the Ravens D. :lol: :lol: :lol:

snowinapril
10-05-2005, 02:36 AM
"TheAnimal93" wrote:

Oh contrare......

Come on now, he made Burleson and Robinson look good last year.

atleast half of DC's INTs have been tipped or part of a bad route(miscommunication).

PurplePackerEater
10-05-2005, 02:41 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"TheAnimal93" wrote:

Oh contrare......

Come on now, he made Burleson and Robinson look good last year.

atleast half of DC's INTs have been tipped or part of a bad route(miscommunication).

Yeah, with Moss drawing most of the coverage his way (deep), leaving them one on one. How do you think Burleson got so many YAC??

Caine
10-05-2005, 03:32 AM
The way it looks so far...Moss made Culpepper. There, I've said it. Why do I say that?

Culpepper has NEVER taken the field without a couple of good receivers. He started with Carter and Moss, then went to Moss and a couple of guys who didn't work out, then Moss and Robinson and Burleson, and now has Burleson, Robinson, Robinson, and Taylor.

Add in RB's that can catch out of the backfield, and Kleinsasser and Wiggins, and where is Daunte's excuse for his sub-par performance?

The O-line?

C'mon. There are ways to work around a bad O-line. Chicago QB's have been doing it for years. Sure, they don't win a lot of games, but they didn't have the receiver talent we do either.

Now, you can blame bad routes all you want...and you'll sound just as silly as the packer fans do when trying to excuse Brett's INT's. The bottom line is that Culpepper is not getting it done on the field...and his off field comments lack any sense of intensity.

I still believe that Culpepper has the SKILL to be an Elite QB. I'm still wondering about his HEART, however...and his ability to adapt. No one hopes more than I do that Culpepper will come out of his funk and get his "roll" on again. We need it. We need it BAD.

So, while I don't pin the blame for all of our misfortune on Daunte, I do pin the blame for HIS misfortunes on him. We win or lose as a team...but he isn't helping us along on this one.

And, as a side note, anyone else thinking right about now that Napolean Harris and Sam Cowert are looking more and more like a bad idea? Or, maybe that's just Cottrell turning good players into garbage....he has a knack for that.

Caine

sdvikefan
10-05-2005, 03:45 AM
"countrygirl" wrote:

Ditka...ouch. Then our pals in Chicago would know how Giants fans feel when Parcells walks in their stadium in a Cowboys shirt.

PurplePackerEater
10-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Let me make it clear that I'm NOT dogging on Culpepper because I don't like him, I'm just dogging on him because it's the truth.

I like Culpepper. To anyone that hasn't read about my encounter with Pep I'll give it to you briefly...

I was at the "Blue Goose" one night during Arcitc Blast (a charity event held every winter near my house), I stumble outside and who's backing his SUV into the handicap space right next to the door? That's right, Daunte Culpepper. It was Daunte (getting out of his truck), another guy, and me. The "other guy" started walking toward him with a hat or something to sign, and I stood there in shock, and asked the guy, "holy $h1t, is that actually Daunte??" After the guy got a signature, I walked over and shook his hand and (like a drunk idiot) mumbled something with slurring words.

Sure, alot of people meet celebs and athletes, but standing there with that one person without ANYBODY in sight is awesome!

The funny part of the story (and I don't think that I told this before), after I went back inside to the group of friends that was sitting and talking with Carl Lee, I couldn't shut up about meeting Daunte outside and I think that he was annoyed. Ha ha, oh well.

FuadFan
10-05-2005, 04:23 AM
The problem with that is Moss has not been impressive at all this year he has not looked elite he looks like an average WR, right now both Owens and Johnson are better and when they finally did win it was not Moss it was Lamont Jordan running effort that won that game.

PurplePackerEater
10-05-2005, 04:37 AM
I was just searching on the web for Actic Blast stuff and came across this website. It's a pic of Daunte and my buddy's wife. Funny thing is, is he's a Lion Fan!!!!! Ha ha, poor bastard.
http://www.highnoon.to/arcticblast2003.html

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/jamieanderson/daunte.jpg

FYI, I don't know who the other guy is.

Caine
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

The problem with that is Moss has not been impressive at all this year he has not looked elite he looks like an average WR, right now both Owens and Johnson are better and when they finally did win it was not Moss it was Lamont Jordan running effort that won that game.

That might be partly because his QB seems to ignore him. I don't think Randy is any less impressive...I think that Oakland has no idea how to use him without pissing off their other receivers.

Caine

Del Rio
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I think Kerry Collins takes plays off.

The problem is he is actually taking the plays off that Moss is trying. When Collins is trying Moss is taking his plays off.....so after they gel a bit more they will be able to get on the same page and take off plays at the same time.

Schulzy
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM

Not impressive, he (MOSS) just went to a new system and is still #2 in the league with 466 rec yards Whats not impressive? Collins is able to see more then 1 reciver so the ball goes to the best spot and when you are always dubled up you are not always going to get the chance to look impressive. not impressive is 10 int 17/47 3rd downs 20 sacs in 4 games

snowinapril
10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
"Schulzy" wrote:

Not impressive, he (MOSS) just went to a new system and is still #2 in the league with 466 rec yards Whats not impressive? Collins is able to see more then 1 reciver so the ball goes to the best spot and when you are always dubled up you are not always going to get the chance to look impressive. not impressive is 10 int 17/47 3rd downs 20 sacs in 4 games

The reason he doesn't seem impressive is because he isn't on a winning team.

Both Owens and Johnson have the luxury of being on winning teams.

Plus, they are trying to hide Randy in Oaktown. It is a little different than how we used him and how Owens and Johnson are being used. They are featured guys on every play.

Schulzy
10-05-2005, 04:30 PM
the beging of that post was from some one else I don't know how to make that yellow box I just copyed and pasted. How do I do it right

snowinapril
10-05-2005, 04:43 PM
"Schulzy" wrote:

the beging of that post was from some one else I don't know how to make that yellow box I just copyed and pasted. How do I do it right

If you want to quote someone, go to their post, and in the upper right corner (of every post) there is a tab that says quote. Click on it and then it will set you up so you can reply also.

cajunvike
10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Michael :cry: ,

Here is your tissue...a whole box of them! :occasion1:

Love,
Tito

:lol:

Schulzy
10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Schulzy" wrote:

If you want to quote someone, go to their post, and in the upper right corner (of every post) there is a tab that says quote. Click on it and then it will set you up so you can reply also.

Thanks

DaunteHOF
10-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Oya vey, more threads like this...