PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Cpep to Vick

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
09-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Compare them. Falcons fans say Vick is better because he wins, i say if you put the Falcons defense behind Cpep last year and Vikings go 13-3. Compare.

ultravikingfan
09-26-2005, 01:08 AM
"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:

Compare them. Falcons fans say Vick is better because he wins, i say if you put the Falcons defense behind Cpep last year and Vikings go 13-3. Compare.

Hard to compare.

I see them as different type of QB's. Pep can actually have a passing game.

southern_yankee
09-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Running- the edge goes to Vick, but probably because he simply has to run more.
Passing- no doubt Pep...when Culpepper is playing normally

last year's numbers pass completion:
Pep 69.5% to Vick's 56.4%
TD:INT Pep's 39:11 versus Vick's 14:12

Yeah, I know, last years' numbers, but the point is the Culpepper is simply a better passer and isn't all that bad on the rush. I'd rather have Pep any day (except for the first two games this year...just kidding).

V4L
09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Pep is way better dude.. Vick can only run.. Pep can run some himself.. And if he gets grabbed he is way harder to take down.. Pep sees the feild better too I think.. Not to take anything away from Vick cuz he is very dangerous and can win a game by himself

Freakout
09-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Michael isn't even the best Vick.

collegeguyjeff
09-26-2005, 01:42 AM
everybody knows vick can't throw, his dumb little brother can't throw either and people talk about how they are both such good quarterbacks? that doesn't make sence

nephilimstorm
09-26-2005, 01:55 AM
I believe Cpep is better than Vick...Cpep has size, strenghth, moibility, accuracy and arm power...where Michael has just been built on the premise of media, heisman, and wow he can run and is fast...damn sounds like a WR lol

Mikecarter81
09-26-2005, 02:13 AM
I must agree Pep is far more poised and experienced as a nfl QB. He might not be as overall athletic as Vick running, but Pep can run, he doesn't have to because he is much more developed as a QB and choses to throw it, but if he needs to he can lower the shoulder and run it the same as Vick or Mcnabb as well.

Mike

grpape
09-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Pep seems to be the all-around QB. As far as running goes, hands down, Vick is way better. I know you guys always see the highlights of last years game against us. Vick is just nuts! He has way more moves, and is much faster and elusive than Daunte. Two differnt types of runners. Daunte will get the first and lower his shoulder to punish the tackler. Vick will get the first and the potential to go all the way. If I had to choose one to build my team around, Pep would be the pick.

aloha, Derrick

LosAngelis
09-26-2005, 03:19 AM
Two different guys. Like comparing Montana to Marino.

Vicks a finesse runner/thrower, Culpepper is a power runner/thrower.

Vick gets hurt. Culpepper doesn't.

Vick doesn't fumble. Culpepper does.

whiteboy
09-26-2005, 03:52 AM
culpepper all the way. while i think vick is the greatest scrambling qb i've ever seen play, he doesn't do more than run with the ball. almost every game i see him play, he throws at least one pick and he's inaccurate. don't get me wrong, he is a hell of a runner, but he is a sub-par pocket qb. i personally think he's over rated.

culpepper has an arm with accuracy (most of the time). when our line breaks, the opposing defense has a hard time getting him down. when he decides to scramble it is absolutely awesome to see him square up with lb's and just crush them. culpepper is by far the better of the two. GO VIKES!!!!

DoraTheExplorer
09-26-2005, 04:22 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Vick doesn't fumble, Culpepper does??? Um, after Mr. Vick plays for 75 games (as many games as Daunte has), he will have lost just as many fumbles as him. He will also have thrown for thousands yards less. Of course, he also won't have as many TDs.

Prophet
09-26-2005, 03:46 PM
That is not even a possible comparison. Culpepper is a much better all around QB than Vick. This last weekend was the first time in Vick's NFL career that he actually looked like a QB instead of an RB.

spdolphs
09-27-2005, 06:41 PM
After looking at the games last week, I think this could be the true turning point.

This should be the real test for the Vikings, after whooping up a tired New Orleans team. Probably the two best rushing QB’s in the league, and with Vick having hamstring problems, it tips the scales in Daunte’s favor.

Last week Cullpepper (300yds) topped Vick's (167yds) passing game, with longs of 68, 53 and 24, while Vicks longest was 21. Vick only rushed for 64 yards (Only?) but the team had a total of 236. (Vikes total rushing was 147)

The key will be the Vikes D stopping the rush, then if Daunte is in his groove, and can toss 3 or 4 TD’s, then it could be a lopsided score.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Underdog/Tennessee_Tuxedo_300.gif

Don Adams 1923-2005

whackthepack
09-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Is that Tennessee tuxedo?

C-PepNSalt
09-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Daunte has a little fumblitis still in him, but not as bad as his fumble syndrome was the worst! Was that in 2002?

mfenlon
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Vick sucks!! Any team out there that has a QB
like Vick will never win a Superbowl... Look at Brady
Slow, O.K. arm but SMART and stays in the pocket.
He also has a great line. Vick still sucks! ATL sucks!!

Wiggles67
09-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I think LOS hit it right on the head...can't compare these two really. Its more of a preference of what type of QB you'd rather have on your team and I'd take C-Pep any day!

Mr. Purple
09-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Vick is a amazing player....but so is culpepper....The stats dont lie. Culpepper is better nuff said.

RandyMoss8404
09-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Vick has a history of success in the playoffs, our boy doesn't.

Yet.

mnvikes61
09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
yah the arguement for Vick is that when he plays the Falcons win i think he has like a 70% winning percentage, i don't have a clue has to what Culpepper's winning percentage is.
Culpepper is definately more a QB than Vick is, Daunte hasn't had to totally depend on his legs his entire career. Vick is finally picking up the west coast offense but still has a little trouble with his accuracy. there is no real wrong answer to the question, of who is the better player they both have their ups and downs, but both are amazing players and athletes

michaelmazid
09-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Vick can't pass worth a dammmn. All he does is run around and jook people. Daunte can pass and run. no comparison as far as I am concerned. Vick will never win a superbowl but Daunte could, not with this team but he can.

gregair13
09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
it is very hard to compair these two as their games are pretty different. well everyone's game is alot different from these guys. they are both so unique and different from every other qb in the league. when a team plays vick, the whole defense has to change its style to try and beat him. you cannot let him run. as with culpepper, he can do pretty much anything on the field. they both have great arms(daunte's is more acc) and greats legs(vick is of coarse way faster) but its really all about who turns over the ball less and wins more games. and thats vick. but i cannot say no to culepper, he has more of a personality and i love the guy to death and he drives a wicked nice car.
Go Vikings

gregair13
09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
it is very hard to compair these two as their games are pretty different. well everyone's game is alot different from these guys. they are both so unique and different from every other qb in the league. when a team plays vick, the whole defense has to change its style to try and beat him. you cannot let him run. as with culpepper, he can do pretty much anything on the field. they both have great arms(daunte's is more acc) and greats legs(vick is of coarse way faster) but its really all about who turns over the ball less and wins more games. and thats vick. but i cannot say no to culepper, he has more of a personality and i love the guy to death and he drives a wicked nice car.
Go Vikings

smootpepper
09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Lets look at there careers thus far. And who says vick doesnt fumble?

for the career
___________Passing___________
Cpep
(6 years, 78 games)
Comp 64.4
Yards 19367
TD's 132
INT 82
Rate 92.1

Vick
(5 years, 46 games)
Comp 53.7
Yards 7065
TD 39
INT 28
Rate 76.9

___________Rushing___________

Cpep
Yards 2394
Avg 5.4
TD 29

Vick
Yards 2398
Avg 7.2
TD 14

__________Fumbles____________

Cpep 78

Vick 39

Looking at this Cpep is by far the better QB, and who said Cpep fumbles more? Vick has 39 fumbles in almost half as many starts as Cpep. Vick has the edge in the INT though but cpep has the lead in TD's 161 to 53. And remember, Cpep didnt play in his 1st year so really its only 6 years of cpeps career to 5 years of vicks career.

As far as wins? I think that is a team issue, not a qb issue. like last year, we would have won 4 more games if our defense could stop a team with less then 3 min left.

fred3105
09-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Actually Daunte does fumbles more.

77games 78fumbles for Daunte.
46games 39fumbles for Vick.

I would also say that Vick is more prone to fumble because he runs a lot more than Daunte.

443runs in 77games for Daunte.
332runs in 46games for Vick.

Vikes
09-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Vick is good PEP is good.

Prophet
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

:shock: I didn't know we had journalists from ESPN frequenting the site.

VKG4LFE
09-27-2005, 11:20 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Culpepper does get hurt though. It may not be for an entire season, but he's had ticky tack injuries!

I think some of us are really bias on here. Granted I really love to have cpep as our QB, but we can't take anything away from Vick. The biggest difference is winning %. I don't know what Vick's record is as a starter, but I think it's pretty good. Granted they've had better defenses than Daunte has ever had, but still. Numbers wise there is no doubt that Culpepper is the more superior QB. I don't know if any of that made sense I was just rambling.

gregair13
09-27-2005, 11:25 PM
another thing to add, vick gets sacked alot. with all that speed and what not, you would think that he wouldnt ever get caught for a loss. but he does. pepper has learned to throw the ball away and not get himself in 2nds and longs.

VKG4LFE
09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Cpep got sacked 7 times last week!! I think they get sacked so much becuase they are doing a little something extra to try to make a play and they just get caught. Or they just have a bad o-line, one of the two!

Prophet
09-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Didn't Culpepper get sacked three times in one possession? I seem to recall a series late in the game where he was sacked three times back-to-back.

DoraTheExplorer
09-28-2005, 12:35 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

:shock: I didn't know we had journalists from ESPN frequenting the site.

lmao

natethegreat
09-28-2005, 12:41 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Didn't Culpepper get sacked three times in one possession? I seem to recall a series late in the game where he was sacked three times back-to-back sacks.

even though we blitzed quite a bit on sunday, i wish cotrell would blitz alot more than he does, on sunday we are playing atlanta who i think blitzes more than any team in the nfl and i hope cotrell watches them and sees the pressure they put on opposing qb's and start to blitz more often

midgensa
09-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Obviously on this site you are gonna get a lot of C-Pep love and as a passer he is very accomplished and definitely a better QB than Vick, but when did as a passer matter most?
What matters is winning ... and Vick wins. He also has an ability that C-Pep has never shown ... coming back when the team trails and finishing it off with a win. C-Pep goes in the tank when his team falls behind and I have never understood why.
I probably would not trade C-Pep for Vick, but it would be very tempting ... imagine the past few years if Vick could have a WR like Moss to air it out to? Vick has never had a receiver that goes and gets it, and that is what someone with an arm like that needs.
What he does on the ground is nothing short of amazing. He befuddles defenses like no other player in this league and still has a cannon that you have to respect despite some accuracy issues.
He gets called overrated all the time, but he WINS better than anyone other than McNabb, Manning and Brady and that is elite company (probably three HOF'ers). And the way things are going this year, he has definitely looked better than C-Pep, but lets hope that changes ...

midgensa
09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Didn't Culpepper get sacked three times in one possession? I seem to recall a series late in the game where he was sacked three times back-to-back.

C-Pep gets sacked because he holds the ball way too long, always has ... if his early reads aren't there he does not get rid of it or take off like he needs to ... Vick does not get sacked all that often, not nearly as much as Culpepper ... and when Vick gets sacked it is because he should have run but knows that EVERYONE is bitching at him to throw the ball.

mnvikes61
09-28-2005, 01:13 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

Obviously on this site you are gonna get a lot of C-Pep love and as a passer he is very accomplished and definitely a better QB than Vick, but when did as a passer matter most?
What matters is winning ... and Vick wins. He also has an ability that C-Pep has never shown ... coming back when the team trails and finishing it off with a win. C-Pep goes in the tank when his team falls behind and I have never understood why.
I probably would not trade C-Pep for Vick, but it would be very tempting ... imagine the past few years if Vick could have a WR like Moss to air it out to? Vick has never had a receiver that goes and gets it, and that is what someone with an arm like that needs.
What he does on the ground is nothing short of amazing. He befuddles defenses like no other player in this league and still has a cannon that you have to respect despite some accuracy issues.
He gets called overrated all the time, but he WINS better than anyone other than McNabb, Manning and Brady and that is elite company (probably three HOF'ers). And the way things are going this year, he has definitely looked better than C-Pep, but lets hope that changes ...
what's the winning percentages for Vick and Pep? anybody know? i know vicks is way up there like in the .600 range or something like that but i've never bother looking up pep's stats as a starter

midgensa
09-28-2005, 01:13 AM
"gregair13" wrote:

another thing to add, vick gets sacked alot. with all that speed and what not, you would think that he wouldnt ever get caught for a loss. but he does. pepper has learned to throw the ball away and not get himself in 2nds and longs.

CPep is the third most sacked per game QB in the league ... cmon man

keep_it_real
09-28-2005, 01:20 AM
I think "CPep" is a great QB, if the coaching staff put a running game around him, he'll be a superbowl type QB. You can't be a pass happy team and make it to the big dance...

I think Vick will take us to the next level this season, because I don't see a team that can beat us...

Both are great thats how I see it...

midgensa
09-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Both QBs are 2-2 in the playoffs with one trip to the NFC Championship game.
Vick in regular season starts is 26-11-1 (.702% with the tie not counting or .684% with)
Culpepper is 37-39 in the regular season (.487)

Pretty big disparity there.

midgensa
09-28-2005, 01:44 AM
And just cause I was bored

Donovan McNabb 7-5 in playoffs, 80-22 in regular season (.784!!)
Tom Brady 9-0 in playoffs 50-15 in regular season (.769)
Peyton Manning 3-5 in playoffs, 66-46 regular season (.600)

Vick is beter than Manning and right on McNabb and Brady for winning percentage ... no other QBs I could think of were close to these numbers, though McNair is in the area ... and obviously Roehtlisberger, but he does not count yet I dont think (he will be very high on this list in a year or two with his winning percentage)

tampaviking
09-28-2005, 01:56 AM
winning percentage are you kidding me last year culpepper threw for as many td's as vick has his whole career, and moss didn't catch em all, this isn't basketball, pepper doesn't play defense. if he puts up points and gets no help from the defense whats he going to do. and i may be wrong but Price is a pretty good reciever and vick had him last year. if vick doesn't become a better QB, he will always be remembered as a great player thats all, and he'll probably set an alltime record for rushes yards. and thats to bad for emmit smith

DemonicViking
09-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Price was there for a few years, and he and Vick never totally seemed like they were on the same page. As of now, Vick's biggest target is still his TE.

midgensa
09-28-2005, 02:20 AM
"tampaviking" wrote:

winning percentage are you kidding me last year culpepper threw for as many td's as vick has his whole career, and moss didn't catch em all, this isn't basketball, pepper doesn't play defense. if he puts up points and gets no help from the defense whats he going to do. and i may be wrong but Price is a pretty good reciever and vick had him last year. if vick doesn't become a better QB, he will always be remembered as a great player thats all, and he'll probably set an alltime record for rushes yards. and thats to bad for emmit smith

Winning is what it is all about ... period ... I love CPep, but Vick definitely wins, there is no disputing that.
By the way ... Price is not a good receiver, he is average, and definitely does not qualify as a receiver who can "go get it" Notice he can not even get in in Dallas right now ...And your little Emmit comment is retarded and naive.
Great QBs win, it is that simple, and CPep has won at times, but he single-handely has lost games too, something that Vick does not do very often ... like I said I would not trade CPep, but trashing Vick because he does not throw great is narrow-minded, he was not drafted to throw great ... he was drafted to win and he does.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Vick may be more exciting to watch, but I would rather have Pep on my team. Here is an article on Pep turning it around this season.

Minnesota's Culpepper shows his true colors
By Brian Gillespie, NFL Analyst

(Sports Network) - The true measure of a man can be done during times of adversity. Some men throw in the towel at the slightest hint of failure, while others persevere and get stronger through tough times. The latter can be said of Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who allowed his true colors to shine through in a season-saving effort versus New Orleans on Sunday.

Read on:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN3981780.htm

VKG4LFE
09-29-2005, 07:31 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

And just cause I was bored

Donovan McNabb 7-5 in playoffs, 80-22 in regular season (.784!!)
Tom Brady 9-0 in playoffs 50-15 in regular season (.769)
Peyton Manning 3-5 in playoffs, 66-46 regular season (.600)

Vick is beter than Manning and right on McNabb and Brady for winning percentage ... no other QBs I could think of were close to these numbers, though McNair is in the area ... and obviously Roehtlisberger, but he does not count yet I dont think (he will be very high on this list in a year or two with his winning percentage)

The reason being is that they have had DEFENSES. Daunte has NEVER had a top notch defense. I know QBs are pegged with wins and losses, but you have to take into account the rest of the team. If the D is as holey (sp?) as swiss cheese that makes it tough for the O and puts a lot of pressure on the O and the QB.

gregair13
09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
if manning didnt have all those tds last year, c-pep would have been mvp. look at his numbers and conpair them to some from the past. he is in the top 5 in a lot of places.

snowinapril
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Where would DC's winning percentage be if he had a D like ATL, PHI, and NE, or even PIT?

Where would DC be if he had a coach like Mora, Reid, or "BellyCheck?"

DC had two(coach and D) strikes against him and he is still hitting homeruns.

DC has been playing on talent and last year it showed. Wait until the end of the season before judging DC. The first 2 games were a fluke(crossing my fingers so I don't have to eat crow, I hate crow, prefer pheasant).