PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper/ Definition of a FAN



V-Unit
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
My definition:
-one who supports his team.

I think everyone who is saying Culpepper is a bad QB is flinging poo. A QB has two bad games in a row and he has always sucked? Just shut up. The problem is he is trying to do too much. Once he settles down we will be fine. His true talent is showing now? SHUT UP! Such pessism is ruining this board right now. Yes I blame both losses squarely on Culpepper, but suggesting he will always be a horrible QB from now on is just bullshit. I don't understand it at all and I'm sick and tired of it. How can you see a man have a pro bowl year, yet say he sucks based on two games? How can you call yourself a fan and yet be so quick to jump off the back of your team's LEADER?

We should be talking about what Culpepper neeeds to do to get back on track, not about this bullshit.

I'll start it.
Culpepper needs to use his legs more. That simple and it's a good place to start. Make one of those LBs spy you after a few runs. Helps the passing game because running is always an option. Helps the running game when it comes to playaction passes. SKOL Culpepper!

mfenlon
09-23-2005, 07:57 PM
He will come around. You will see.....
Mondays topics will be how great he did on Sunday..

VKG4LFE
09-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm behind him.

PurpleTide
09-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Good Post V-unit, I think Daunte will have to use his legs more and not force things. Punting on fourth down isn't as bad as a turnover and a short field for the defense. Negative thinking only promotes more negative's so lets back all our Vikings from the coaches on down. We shall emerge from this turbulance a stronger and battle tested team. This season is far from over and we will grow and start playing to our potential.

Webby
09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes, all the negative nancies drive me nuts, because it takes no backbone or guts to be a whiny complainer in the face of adversity. It takes no thought to bitch and moan. It takes character and strength to stand in the face of adversity and still push on for victory.

So yes, you whiners, you are fans, noone disputes that. I do, however, say you are taking the easy way out when you crap and moan about obvious silly things. (culpepper is worthless, conspiracy theories, yada yada) Its one thing to be pissed after the game, but making stupid remarks all week long makes me think you are not the kind of fan I want on my side if I were a team.

Be real. Being real doesn't mean running around with your head cut off. Unless, of course, you are.

Ltrey33
09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
I agree that the negative feelings are unwarranted. To me it's about keeping the balance between zealoutry and objectivity. We don't want to be so hopeful all the time that every player @ every position is the best in the league, so when one starts to suck it up we try to look at it objectively and we end up being negative, IMO. C-Pep has not played well at all, but that doesn't negate what he did in the past, nor does it say he won't do what he used to again.

Prophet
09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
It is possible to not always be positive and offer suggestions as to what the solutions of the problems may be. It is equally annoying to have people that are always optimisitic and not backing up their optimisim with any meat as to why they are optimistic (e.g., Tice).

I never saw much ink regarding Culpepper's knee other than it was hurt sometime during the TB game. I hope that it's healing well, that is probably a major reason he has been hesitant regarding running the ball. There is no doubt that Culpepper will be back in the mix. He almost has as many turnovers after two games as he had last year, oh well. Once the O-line steps up and the WRs start making plays and the running game is present, even a little, things will look up for the O. I sure hope they have an original game plan worked out this week.

vikesls
09-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Yea!! V-unit is right. There are lots of quarterbacks that have had a couple bad games and came back. Some of this is getting used to the new O-line. After getting chased out of the pocket so much in week 1, I'm sure he didn't know what to expect in week 2. I definitely am on board with him running some. In fact a bunch. Keep the defensive rush at bay by running himself.

Pep is a tough veteran, He'll get it done this Sunday.

RandyMoss8404
09-23-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure that many people here understand the difference between desiring victory blindly and desiring it critically.

Hence, this post.

Webby
09-23-2005, 08:45 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

It is possible to not always be positive and offer suggestions as to what the solutions of the problems may be. It is equally annoying to have people that are always optimisitic and not backing up their optimisim with any meat as to why they are optimistic (e.g., Tice).

I never saw much ink regarding Culpepper's knee other than it was hurt sometime during the TB game. I hope that it's healing well, that is probably a major reason he has been hesitant regarding running the ball. There is no doubt that Culpepper will be back in the mix. He almost has as many turnovers after two games as he had last year, oh well. Once the O-line steps up and the WRs start making plays and the running game is present, even a little, things will look up for the O. I sure hope they have an original game plan worked out this week.

As long as people do that, Prophet, its good and well. But these inane fruits that bandy about conspiracy theories and other obvious tripe tee me off. My point is exactly as yours stated differently; stand up, think, make posts. Its much more difficult to stand up and say I am pissed, here's what I see and my hopes for fixing it than to whine unsubstantiated BS.

SKOL.

RandyMoss8404
09-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Yes, webby, but then people - as they often do - can always come back and say 'Oh God you're not a real fan, how can you say that! Go become a Packers fan!' and then of course the string of zealots saying 'YEAH! That's right! YOU TELL HIM!' never helps.

Prophet
09-23-2005, 08:49 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I'm not sure that many people here understand the difference between desiring victory blindly and desiring it critically.

Hence, this post.

I think there are definitely a fair number of posters on here that desire the victory critically. If there weren't many wouldn't be coming back to the boards. Some sites consist of only blind homers for their team that couldn't see a weakness on their team if they were hypnotized and force fed slow motion replays of the flaws in the system.

I'm all for the optimistic and/or pessimistic post as long as it is substantiated with some thought behind the post and has some basis for the resasoning behind the post. We've all eaten crow on our prognostication skills before and we will again. The fun of a message board is to lay what you're thinking on the line and have people give feedback. It's a type of peer-review that is another reason it is fun to be a fan.

"webmaster" wrote:


As long as people do that, Prophet, its good and well. But these inane fruits that bandy about conspiracy theories and other obvious tripe tee me off. My point is exactly as yours stated differently; stand up, think, make posts. Its much more difficult to stand up and say I am pissed, here's what I see and my hopes for fixing it than to whine unsubstantiated BS.

SKOL.

Agree. I put down some unsubstantiated BS now and again too though. So guilty as charged. If I'm around though, I'll do my best to substantiate it and admit defeat if necessary.

Webby
09-23-2005, 09:00 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Yes, webby, but then people - as they often do - can always come back and say 'Oh God you're not a real fan, how can you say that! Go become a Packers fan!' and then of course the string of zealots saying 'YEAH! That's right! YOU TELL HIM!' never helps.

I think only the ill-informed pull that maneuver. Most of us on here don't bash someone for well-thought out opinions. I see many instances where a good discussion ensues and the zealot folk threads just die off because we all know its futile to argue with lunacy.

You are overgeneralizing which is another disease of the frantic fan. :lol: teasing ya.

Webby
09-23-2005, 09:03 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I'm not sure that many people here understand the difference between desiring victory blindly and desiring it critically.

Hence, this post.

I think there are definitely a fair number of posters on here that desire the victory critically. If there weren't many wouldn't be coming back to the boards. Some sites consist of only blind homers for their team that couldn't see a weakness on their team if they were hypnotized and force fed slow motion replays of the flaws in the system.

I'm all for the optimistic and/or pessimistic post as long as it is substantiated with some thought behind the post and has some basis for the resasoning behind the post. We've all eaten crow on our prognostication skills before and we will again. The fun of a message board is to lay what you're thinking on the line and have people give feedback. It's a type of peer-review that is another reason it is fun to be a fan.

"webmaster" wrote:


As long as people do that, Prophet, its good and well. But these inane fruits that bandy about conspiracy theories and other obvious tripe tee me off. My point is exactly as yours stated differently; stand up, think, make posts. Its much more difficult to stand up and say I am pissed, here's what I see and my hopes for fixing it than to whine unsubstantiated BS.

SKOL.

Agree. I put down some unsubstantiated BS now and again too though. So guilty as charged. If I'm around though, I'll do my best to substantiate it and admit defeat if necessary.

LOL. I used to love to do that, just to amuse myself by baiting the yahoos. Then I was told not everyone thought the pot stirring was funny, so I retired from that job. At least you make consistent efforts, though, and its not just complete lunacy being posted.

But then again, this isn't a rip on anyone around here or there or anywhere, I am approaching this as a philisophical discussion of fanship as I think the original post intended. It interests me greatly, and is one of the great satisfactions of this site. I get to watch how things play out and observe it. Guess that's the old Psych major in me shining through.

VKG4LFE
09-23-2005, 09:10 PM
There are a lot of "z" words in this thread that I don't understand! :(

COJOMAY
09-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I posted another thread on Culpepper's leg injury. I know that he is a much better QB than he's proved so far. OK, he had no time to set up against Tampa but he did with the Bengals and he couldn't get the ball where he wanted it. He isn't running as much as he did before either when his receivers are covered.
I really believe it bothers him more than he or the coaches are letting on and that's the primary reason for his miseralbe performances.

grpape
09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
So which leg is it? If it is the leg that he plants when he throws, it may answer why a lot of his passes have been way off! I mean some of his throws just seem "where the hell was he going with that?" I did post earlier that the whole Pep is no good because Moss is gone is what drove me nuts! I know he will bounce back: "I want to be the best ever!" That statement alone will fire him up.
There have been other posts bringing up his small hands, and how it causes him to fumble. Well, it was a problem before, and he corrected it the next season (I believe it was last year). He will calm down and start to let his instincts and talent take over instead of listening to his brain too much. I also think that after this player's meeting, everything will change. The players will calm eachother down (espesially Pep), start playing a bit more loose and have fun again. The wining will follow.

COJOMAY
09-23-2005, 10:33 PM
They say it's his plant leg. His left one as he steps forward to pass. I know some of you guys think Sid is a dork and past his prime, but I read this on another NLF web site -- either from Fox, CBS, or ESPN, too.

TheViking
09-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Why is it that certain Viking fans always jump off the Culpepper bus when he does bad. For years fans having been screaming for Bauman, George, Ferotte, and now Johnson every time he does bad. I just don't get it. I know he has had a bad season so far but he is one of the best QB's in the league until he proves otherwise. I don't understand the argument to get a back up player to start for the team when you have a pro-bowler starting now. Give the guy a break let him get used to life without Randy, hope for a running game and he will continue to get his "roll on". Two games is way to early to throw Culpepper under the bus, unless of course you’re Tice.

RK.
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I rarely blame players for the outcome of games. I think the buck stops with the coaching.

However being able to p!ss and moan a little when your team is sucking is part of being a fan IMO. For a lot of you guys that live in places where most of the people you know are also Viking fans you get a chance to blow off a little steam with friends. For some of us like myself, where I am the only Viking fan that I know, being able to complain a little on this board to others who actually understand my pain is a mental health thing. :lol: It doesn't mean that we are jumping off the bandwagon, or that we are fair weather fans. For some of us it just means we don't have anyone to complain too that doesn't laugh at us when we do. :wink:

Paulbedy59
09-24-2005, 06:49 PM
You know Webby,I kinda miss the pot stirring.LOL.

SharperVikings
09-25-2005, 02:23 AM
I heard that bart starr for the pack had 2 horrible games the first 2 games of the season. Then the rest of the season, was amazing, and led them to win the superbowl in green bay. I wasnt alive for this, but this is what I hear. I am predicting this for culpepper, he needs to find his identity and get used to the people he has now. Tice should keep one running back in, preferably moe or memo, so culpepper can get used to it. I also think that culpepper is going to start to get used to the tight ends this week against new orleans.

Storm
09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

How can you call yourself a fan and yet be so quick to jump off the back of your team's LEADER?

Yeah, except for he's light years away from being our leader. A suposed-to-be leader and leader on the field are two different things. You WILL get bashed when you turn the ball over 10 times in two games, deal with it. I wish he could prove me wrong and lead the team through this hard times, but until he PROVES that he's a leader, he's not one. Being a franchise player doesnt mean jack if you dont perform like one.

"RK" wrote:

For some of us like myself, where I am the only Viking fan that I know, being able to complain a little on this board to others who actually understand my pain is a mental health thing.

Couldnt have said it better myself, I NEED a place to vent. ;)

dr feelgood
09-25-2005, 02:59 PM
What about Philly?, hehe, I'm stupid, pass me a nother beer. Go Vikes!!!

Grassdog61
09-25-2005, 03:11 PM
We will definitely see Daunte running more - in interviews early this week he said that that was one of the things he regretted about his performance in the Cincy game, that he didn't just run the ball himself to get a couple of critical first downs.

TripB77
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
I think everyone who is saying Culpepper is a bad QB is flinging poo

My teammates came up to me at training and were saying how sh*t Culpepper is and I agreed partly saying that he has been bad in the last two games. There is nothing wrong with stating the facts. Someone playing bad and someone being bad are 2 different things and im pretty sure there is not one vikings fan who thinks culpepper is a bad QB.

Caine
09-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I like Daunte...always have. I also see that he is not as "complete" as say, Peyton Manning. There are still elements of the game that Daunte struggles with.

1: Clock management/2-minute drill
2: Checking down receivers.
3: Quick decision making.
4: Accuracy (lately)
5: Hanging on to the football.

Then, I look at what he does well.

1: Durable in the pocket.
2: Cannon arm.
3: Accurate (usually...just not the last two weeks)
4: Spreads the ball around.
5: Dangerous with his feet and his arm.
6: Poised.

To me, the positives far outweigh the negatives on Daunte. Sure, I am frustraited with his performance of late...who isn't? But would I want Brad Johnson in there right now? Ummmmmmm....NO!!!!!

Daunte gives us our best chance to win...period. He's the leader, and it's time for him to step up and lead. I have a great deal of confidence that he will do exactly that.

Caine

V-Unit
09-25-2005, 06:42 PM
I am so happy out how this thread turned out. Thank you guys. I knew we could talk about our losing ways in a more rational way.

Kickoff is in 20 mins. I'm going to change and go to the bar.
Just remember, this season we will live with C-Pep and die with C-Pep.