PDA

View Full Version : OK. We lost. What can we do about it?

PurplePeopleEaters
09-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Ok. Now that the second game is over and we lost yet again what do you guys think we can do about our team? I never thought I would be saying this but our team looks like garbage out there. We need a serious spark or something of that sort to wake our team up. I don't want people responding to this by saying "Get Moss back" or "bench culpepper for the rest of the season".

We need something that will actually help us. I say we get David Dixon back for a start. While listening to the announcers during the game, I remember that they said something about us getting a REAL fullback to help the running game. That would also help a lot.

I think that this period is where we see how good of an owner Zygi really is. We need to see him make some big moves to put our team in the right direction, especially on Offense. Right now firing coaches isn't going to exactly help because it is the beginning of the season..... I am just so confused. WHAT TO DO!?!?!? :???:

Storm
09-18-2005, 11:44 PM
1. Fire Tice
2. Bench Culpepper
3. Profit

cc21
09-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Isn't Kleinsasser a real fullback? I think getting Dixon back would help out a little bit to. I really dont know though. We are really bad.

V4L
09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I just don't know anymore.. Maybe PPE our guy Koren can come in and do something for us

PurplePeopleEaters
09-18-2005, 11:51 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I just don't know anymore.. Maybe PPE our guy Koren can come in and do something for us

That's it! We need the visor! :cool:

mnjamie
09-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, lets start with what needs fixing:

1) "O" line is a leaky faucet
2) QB - a) throws lots of int's b) holds onto the ball too long c) doesn't run, even given his size d) cant see open WR's
3) WR - a) our #1, is not a #1 NFL wr b) can't stretch the field c) don't come back to the ball when #2 is going on
4) "D" line - a) no pressure on QB b) get tired too easily, even when on the field a lot
5) "D" linebackers - a) look lost on the field b) no true leader c) dont tackle well
6) "D" secondary - a) get burnt b) leave the field for "minor" injuries (ehh, smooty) c) look lost
7) Coaching staff - a) team looks umprepaired mentally, gameplanning, and in conditioning

** Pick your spot ... didn't even go into poor special teams coverage and lack of a return game on punts or kickoffs ... where to start?? I bet Wilfi will find a spot real soon **

V4L
09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

That's it! We need the visor! :cool:

You know it! Maybe he can take Burly's spot eventually.. Burly isn't a number 1 WR

mnjamie
09-18-2005, 11:54 PM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

Isn't Kleinsasser a real fullback? I think getting Dixon back would help out a little bit to. I really dont know though. We are really bad.

Dave is WAY out of shape ... would be too late to in the season before he'd be back in shape and is old. Tice is over him. I thought he was an option also, before I heard he was 35 lbs. over playing weight.

VikingsTw
09-18-2005, 11:56 PM
A) Keep Moore as the starter.
B) Get Koren Robinson his pads and some shoes.
C) Try to get Dixon's big body back in the center of that defense that keeps getting pushed into dauntes stomach.
D) Gosh damnit we can turn the ball OVER!!!

Deadly_Diabetic
09-19-2005, 12:01 AM
God forgive me for even suggesting it (thoughts of the horrible Hershel Walker deal comes to mind) but if we could get a solid running back it would help out ALOT. So, ummm, there's this guy down in Miami that they are probably looking to offload for relatively cheap.....

I know we don't need another locker room cancer but if he could take some pressure off of Pep then maybe it might be worth it.

-DD

Plus, he and Onterrio and Koren and Kelly could "hang out" together.

ultravikingfan
09-19-2005, 12:06 AM
We could not be such panzies and play their WR's at the line and get physical with them and try to mess up their timing. This would allow us to get more pressure on the QB and these guys would not get so open.

Also, blitz in the first half. We only showed some (not much) aggression in the 2nd half. They were all over us all day!

And lastly, send a Ted packing!

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2005, 12:13 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

We could not be such panzies and play their WR's at the line and get physical with them and try to mess up their timing. This would allow us to get more pressure on the QB and these guys would not get so open.

Also, blitz in the first half. We only showed some (not much) aggression in the 2nd half. They were all over us all day!

And lastly, send a Ted packing!

Exactly.

COJOMAY
09-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I was at the game. Our defensive backs stunk up the stadium. We laid off them 8 yards deep -- never blocked them as they started their pattern and they would run a comeback patten and be wide open. Pitiful!
Our offensive pass blocking was the pitiful thing I've seen. They were coming in wide and there was absolutely no one to block them. That began at the beginning of the game and continued to the end. We never fixed it. Now, my friends, that is poor coaching -- PERIOD!
Plus I could go on and on. I was so humilated at the game I left at the end of the 3rd Quarter. I couldn't take it anymore and fellow Viking fans were leaving with me in unison.

CPVikes
09-19-2005, 12:23 AM
When Zig proclaimed that Tice would remain head coach I pretty much knew the season was done. Watching the Vikes now is like being a helpless witness to a train wreck. I really don't think Tice is much of a coach and the teams performance is sadly reflecting this. Today's performance was nothing short of pathetic & embarassing but I'm hopeful it's a wakeup call for the new ownership.

ultravikingfan
09-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, lets let them catch everything underneath and on slants. Did we do this because we were torched on the first drive?

Stick to the game plan. AW and Smoot are supposed to be "Billy Badass" CB's...why not get physical and challenge the WR's?

Oh, and AW is not the pass defender I thought he was.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 12:27 AM
get a beep damn real running back. I'm sick of this, I want a RB. We could have gone after alexander or james but like idoits...LETS RUN BENNETT. well today was the last day I will ever root for bennett. I even beleived he would have a good game. but 2 fumbles? wtf is that. Then tice puttin him back in, tice are you stupid? I cannot stress how much we need a back. Our offensive line improved compared to last sunday. Culpepper stunk up the place, but if we bench him we're only hurting ourself. Tice and Co look more stupid every week...man this sucks.

paulbeuning
09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Williamson looked pretty damn good when they would put him in the game, why is Tice playing a Rookie Guard and not allowing the other rooks to play. Why isn't James playing?? I don't understand what is going on, the best players are not on the field. They were forced out of their gameplan and didn't concentrate on a productive offense once the game was out of hand.

I attribute all of these things to poor coaching, I watched the whole game and tried to find the positive in all aspects of the game. Are Sharper and Winfield OK?

They are going to turn this around, give them some time.

09-19-2005, 12:37 AM
I think we should bench c pep for 1 game, and let him settle down.

PAvikesfan
09-19-2005, 12:44 AM
okay...here we go:

1. get a stricter coach...one that benches players after they throw 3 int's, one who won't bring a fumbler back into the line-up.
2. sure up that O-line and add a real FB in free agency for Mewelde moore to follow.
3. run 2 RB sets and use moore in the slot with Bennett or Fason in backfield.
4. get a new OC.
5. get a new coach.
6. get a new coach.

ravike55
09-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Why don't we have a offensive coordinator anyway? Loney is overwhelmed with injuries and an unimaginative offense! I think addressing the o-line is first order of buisness first.Tice has lost his fire, if it ever existed.!

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 01:18 AM
RUNNNNNNNNNNING BACK AND NEW COACH!! lol:-D

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

On a more serious not.. Where will we get a running back? Do you really think that Ricky can solve our problems even if Miami is willing to trade him? I don't. There isn't anything left in Free Agency...

ultravikingfan
09-19-2005, 01:59 AM

On a more serious not.. Where will we get a running back? Do you really think that Ricky can solve our problems even if Miami is willing to trade him? I don't. There isn't anything left in Free Agency...

Cannot run through a hole that is non-existant.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2005, 02:02 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Cannot run through a hole that is non-existant.

exactly. I would be looking more towards help at o-line.

DeathtoDenny
09-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Now I know why Moss said that Kerry Collins is a better QB than Pep.
WE can't do shi* but watch another wasted season under Tice and hopefully Zig will rebuild the staff with some talent. We need a new head coach, O and D coordinator, QB coach for sure, and a friggin DB coach. I'm not going to waste anymore time watching this train wreck until Tice is gone. 4 years of terrible coaching is enough!

CPVikes
09-19-2005, 02:11 AM
"Is this the last game for MikeTice?" - KMSP News teaser 7:10 cst

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 02:13 AM
We could have had our fair share of RB's tice and them didnt do a damn thing about it and now we're stuck with a special Ed ahmad green. I'll take rickey over bennett any day.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Im listening to the post game interview with tice and I hate how easy going he is with this loss. I want some fire in this guys eyes. Hes sucha idoit!

kyleo1967
09-19-2005, 02:19 AM
What about the center we traded for, from the browns i think. I read right after the trade he would challeng withrow for the starting spot. And koren will help stretch the field....i hope.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Let's hope next week is better. We will be playing a worse team in the saints but the teams are a lot alike in some ways. Both are very offensive minded teams and have 1 really good reciever with an OK quarterback. Both have a good running game with a fairly good running back. The difference is that the saints have no defense.

GreenBaySlackers
09-19-2005, 02:26 AM
during pregame warmups i was sitting in the front row, and zygi was about 25 feet from me, i was yelling his name to try to get him to come talk to me. but he blew me off... i guess its cool though, porbably didnt even glance because he probably thought i was a Bengals fan who was going to give him shit... I thought he might come over, since i knew who he was and everything, but o well...

I was going to offer to carry his coat around for him...

alright, back to the topic at hand...

we can dump tice and hire Fassell, then we will win football games.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 02:28 AM
If anyone has a website to upload music and host it, I'll record this interview fred smoot gave on the post game show on nfl field pass....you can hear his hunger and he sheds some wise words! NOWHERE BUT UP FROM HERE BABY

PurplePackerEater
09-19-2005, 02:32 AM
:?: I'm desperate. Call Miami.

Other than that, what else, besides great coaching, can be done?? And adding a "true" FB is another bad idea by game announcers. Worste part about that is, I've heard several people say it since the game got over.

Another radical move is to get Dixon's chubby butt into practice.

I can't think of any other options at this stage of the game.

The ONLY thing to do is coach their a$$s off!

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Ok nvm I cant find my Mic so I'll just tell ya what he said basically.

He talks about how much his pride was hurt with this game. That its not any one persons fault, we win as a team, we loose as a team. Theres nowhere to from here but up. We're killing ourselfs, you cant go out and turn the ball or 6 or 7 times and beat anyone in this league. We gotta correct the small things.This is not the time to split apart, we gotta come together. F**k the body part of it, only pride hurts. I've never been on a playoff team , but i've never been beat like this.

PurplePackerEater
09-19-2005, 02:35 AM

If anyone has a website to upload music and host it, I'll record this interview fred smoot gave on the post game show on nfl field pass....you can hear his hunger and he sheds some wise words! NOWHERE BUT UP FROM HERE BABY

LOL!

That's what I said last week. I'll never do that again.

ThaSuperFreak33
09-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Michael Bennett needs to be traded or cut. He has done next to nothing the last 4 years but get injured or screw up. Tice is not aggressive enough and needs to do something RIGHT NOW. We need to pick up a big RB who can be a workhorse and move the ball. Ricky Williams would be nice because he can carry the ball 40 times a game. He is not going to solve all our problems but he can help out bigtime in the running game. Again we did not get to se FASON get a chance to run the ball.

V4L
09-19-2005, 02:38 AM
I don't see what bennett did that was that wrong.. 2 fumbles yah.. But he doesn't get to play much.. give him the bulk of the carries.. Had more yards then mewelde with half as many carries.. That screen play was doomed from the start anyway

FuadFan
09-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Why don't we just go get Clarrett instead of Williams if we are going to deal with a headache get one we don't have to trade for.

V-Unit
09-19-2005, 02:41 AM
RB isn't really the problem. Some of you may totally disagree with me but this game was all on Daunte. All of it. He is taking too much time. He refuses to run. He refuses to throw the ball away. Instead of running he throws dumb passes. It's all on Daunte. He is not leading this team at all and we suck right now because we have no leader. Don't get me wrong. I love Daunte, I don't want us to bench him, but he needs to fix his problems and do it quick.

DaunteHOF
09-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Get a time machine and bring back everyone on our offensive line last year, I liked Nat Dorsey then we traded him...

ncviking
09-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Long term remedy: new coaching staff.

Short term remedies:
1. Put in Faison and see if he can become our Cadillac.
2. Game plan to just pound the ball nearly every play (two tight end sets). Until Pep can prove he can throw the ball with accuracy, run it. No team will be expecting a grind-it offense from the Vikings.
3. Then, play-action pass.
4. If there is nowhere to pass it, run Pep. I know this is offense 101, but this O is not ready for anything else.
5. Zone blitz, then zone blitz some more like we have nothing to lose.

DoraTheExplorer
09-19-2005, 02:45 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I don't see what bennett did that was that wrong.. 2 fumbles yah.. But he doesn't get to play much.. give him the bulk of the carries.. Had more yards then mewelde with half as many carries.. That screen play was doomed from the start anyway

stop blowing off his fumbles. 2 fumbles is enough to get you out of a game. Michael Bennett sucks my huevos.

PurplePackerEater
09-19-2005, 02:50 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Why don't we just go get Clarrett instead of Williams if we are going to deal with a headache get one we don't have to trade for.

Clarrett is another UNPROVEN rookie that would need time to adjust and still might (probably) not be any good.

A trade for Ricky would be minimal and he's proven (when he plays). At least if the linemen are screwing up he could tell them what to do. Our backs and Clarrett don't know what they're doing.

(just some more desperate opinions)

V4L
09-19-2005, 02:50 AM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

stop blowing off his fumbles. 2 fumbles is enough to get you out of a game. Michael Bennett sucks my huevos.

We should bench Pep too then.. Seriously though Bennett was playing real well but didn't get into the full swing of the game

DoraTheExplorer
09-19-2005, 02:53 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

We should bench Pep too then.. Seriously though Bennett was playing real well but didn't get into the full swing of the game

BS. He blows. Through, and through. I don't see why we should keep going with an inconsitent back. Mwelde has potential. Bennett has a nice butt to warm the benches with.

V4L
09-19-2005, 02:55 AM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

BS. He blows. Through, and through. I don't see why we should keep going with an inconsitent back. Mwelde has potential. Bennett has a nice butt to warm the benches with.

I don't know.. I sort of agree.. I want to see Bennett get 20 carrys for 3 games straight though.. If not I would glady take a plate of crow.. MM has potential yes.. But I want to find the better back now.. MM has been getting hurt more then Bennett latley too and not coming back quick at all so yah I just don't know.. I guess I would be happy with either back im undecided

V-Unit
09-19-2005, 02:58 AM
If we are really struggling from loss of a deep threat, I say we start Troy and have him blaze downfield until he earns respect and double teams. Unfortunately, Troy needs to be Randy's replacement now. It might be unsuccessful at fisrt, but if the offense struggles again, it is the only fix I can think of.

sdvikefan
09-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Well let's see...seems to me a big factor in not losing these games would have been

A) Don't fumble the football
B) Don't throw interceptions

We've turned the ball over 12 times going into week 3. That just might be a part of why we are 0-2. Nothing kills a team more than turnovers, and right now that is what has killed the majority of our drives in both of these losses. Poor play by the o-line, lack of a solid RB, and poor pass coverage are problems, but when you keep giving the other team the ball with excellent field position, you cannot expect to have a chance in hell of winning. I'm no huge fan of Tice, but this is not a coaching problem. It's a player problem. Poor throws and decisions by Daunte, lack of concentration by Bennett, etc.

ncviking
09-19-2005, 03:12 AM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

Well let's see...seems to me a big factor in not losing these games would have been

A) Don't fumble the football
B) Don't throw interceptions

We've turned the ball over 12 times going into week 3. That just might be a part of why we are 0-2. Nothing kills a team more than turnovers, and right now that is what has killed the majority of our drives in both of these losses. Poor play by the o-line, lack of a solid RB, and poor pass coverage are problems, but when you keep giving the other team the ball with excellent field position, you cannot expect to have a chance in hell of winning. I'm no huge fan of Tice, but this is not a coaching problem. It's a player problem. Poor throws and decisions by Daunte, lack of concentration by Bennett, etc.

Try preparation. This whole team looks unprepared and lost - this is coaching.

V4L
09-19-2005, 03:12 AM
I think we lived on the big play last year.. Either give Bennett the starting job and let him get us a big run.. Or let Williamson play and send him deep and get us a big play through the air.. That might help a little on the offensive side of the ball..

NeumDog
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
At the beginning of the game, Bennett had a few decent runs, but of course he couldn't hang onto the ball. Them Moore came in and had 1 or 2 so so runs. After that, we were already far behind and had to abandon the run almost entirely to try to play catch up.

It looked to me that everyone was so unprepared to play that game, it was ridiculous. That falls on the head coach. Nobody had any fire in their eyes, and no emotion at all. That is unacceptable. Our offensive line coach cannot double as the offensive coordinator. We've seen how that doesn't work at all.

If Culpepper keeps turning the ball over like this, I hate to say it, but he might need to sit for a while so he can get his head on straight. I have no idea what happened to him. He had time to throw the ball this week, he just missed open receivers and won't run. And a couple of those INT's, who the heck was he trying to throw the ball to. Wow.

V4L
09-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Yah I agree with everything up there Neumdawger.. Everything seemed to go wrong today.. Pep was getting open people when he actually got protection but didn't see them.. Bennett was playing good but got benched because he couldn't hang on.. We send in MM and he couldn't do anything.. Our D started playing a little better in the second half though.. And we ended the game on a good note.. Forget this week and dominate the Saints next week!

BlowuptheDome
09-19-2005, 03:53 AM
I thought the vikes d-line was supposed to be one of the better ones in the league but they didn't even register a sack today. I thought Cottrell was gonna blitz Napoleon and the linebackers more but that hasn't happened.

For the offense side I think Mewelde should get the majority of the carries and have 2 Wr sets with Richard Owens and Kleinsasser as blockers just have Wiggins on 3rd downs. Limit Bennett to kick return duties.

VegasLadyJae
09-19-2005, 03:57 AM
I do agree that the 8 points at the end did mean something. Avoiding a shutout is huge and also because of the timing of the points it could prove to be confidence building. Afterall we know the Saints do not have a defense!

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:02 AM
I know this game was about daunte, but in a bigger picture it was about a Has been running back aka bennett showing why everyone on this site doubts him. Culpepper has the stats and the records to back up him not only starting but remaining on this team. Bennett had one good season and has been plagued ever since. I was high on gettin a running back in the draft and Im startin to wish that we still did, but what can ya do? We just gotta use what we got for now and hope we can get someone in here who knows what thier doin at the RB position and the coaching as well.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-19-2005, 04:04 AM

I know this game was about daunte, but in a bigger picture it was about a Has been running back aka bennett showing why everyone on this site doubts him. Culpepper has the stats and the records to back up him not only starting but remaining on this team. Bennett had one good season and has been plagued ever since. I was high on gettin a running back in the draft and Im startin to wish that we still did, but what can ya do? We just gotta use what we got for now and hope we can get someone in here who knows what thier doin at the RB position and the coaching as well.

All the running backs were gone when we picked. We would have had to have gotten one outo of FA and that means Red digging deep into the pockets. :roll:

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:09 AM
Ya, but remeber we could have moved up to miami's spot? and we didnt...Im not gonna play the woulda shoulda coulda card cuz thats just lame...but our running game flat out sucks. and I wish we would have gotten a back. Heres to one of ours catchin fire or snaggin up Bob marley!

hovan
09-19-2005, 04:11 AM
What can WE do about it? Two options. Keep rooting for the Vikings to turn things around or go jump ship like the Packer Backers. Your Choice. No one is making you root for this team.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Im in no way shape or form talking bad about the vikings, infact since both games have ended i've been prolley one of the most postive guys on the site. I'm talking about our running game sucking, like 233243 people on this site believe in. I'm the furthest from " jumping ship".

BlowuptheDome
09-19-2005, 04:19 AM
lets get eddie george at least he won't fumble or get hurt

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:26 AM
haha my bad hovan I forgot the title of the Topic, and thought you where talkin to me! sorry mate

mnvikes61
09-19-2005, 04:27 AM
bennet was having a good day until he fumbled and Tice yanked him out immediately. i thought if we had given bennet more than 7 carries, he really could have got some stuff going, he was cutting good and creating holes even when they weren't there. we got behind 2 TDs and we abandoned the run again, then the T.O.P went way out of whack again so our D got tired. we should have stayed with the run, we were actually getting yards on the ground, that would have given pep more time to try and read some of the D and let some of the routes develop, we could have tried to fool the bengals D with play action and gone deep. we need to quit abandoning the run, that's what i believe.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Ya , man was I pulling for bennett. When he dropped the first I'm like ok, you kno it happens to even the best backs, no need to yank him out. But the second I was like ok, im done with bennett bring in MeMo. I honestly just cant take the inconsistancy of this running game, its driving me insane man I tell you, INSANE!

Ltrey33
09-19-2005, 04:30 AM
"BlowuptheDome" wrote:

lets get eddie george at least he won't fumble or get hurt

Eddie not get hurt? I'm not so sure about that.....didn't he sit out most of a year or two ago because of turf toe and a smattering of other injuries?

1999-Dislocated Shoulder in the playoffs

2001- Sat out TC and preseason because of an injured toe, never recovered fully that year

Offseason 2004- Ankle and knee surgeries

I wouldn't call him durable. He's a tough Mo-fo, but he does get injured.

By the by, MeMo looked very good to me today, but by the time we put him in the Vikes couldn't run the ball. He didn't fumble, which is more than we can say about Bennett.

mnvikes61
09-19-2005, 04:32 AM
that 2nd fumble was more of a good play call by the D and a poor decision for Pep he should have thrown that away, Bennet was covered in D-lineman and LBers, he didn't stand a chance, the second he caught he got nailed, so i didn't feel that one should have got him pulled out of the game like he was reason that we were playing so bad. our line showed up today, are RBs showed up, our WRs showed up for the most part, the people who weren't paying attention to the game was the coaching staff and Pep. for once i can't believe i'm saying this but we should have given bennet more carries.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Sign eddie george? We might as well Sign Star Jones!

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=star+jones/v=2/SID=e/TID=YS67_89/l=IVI/SIG=12mp54oa4/EXP=1127183595/*-http%3A//www.thekristenbuckleyshow.com/images/2004_starjones_kbs.jpg http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=jerome+bettis/v=2/SID=e/TID=YS67_89/l=IVI/SIG=11sr27jor/EXP=1127183634/*-http%3A//www.steelertribute.com/bus012.jpg

the wheels on the buss go round and round!

VikemanX84
09-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Man, what a horrible game all around.

Daunte was just horrible. Bad decisions, couldn't make reads.

We have to stop truning the ball over. Thats it, really. I mean isn't not just Culpepper, Bennett fumbled twice which lead to Culpepper feeling rushed and making bad decisions. On the final drive in the TB game, we had fumbles, and balls bouncing off hands, etc...

I think the announcers hit the nail on the head a couple of times once when they said Daunte doesn't trust his offensive line. I also don't think he trusts himself. It's a fast game and you have to play it with your instincts, he isn't trusting his reads, feels he can't make a mistake, gets pressured, and eventually makes a decision, but it's a bad one.

Running the ball is good. Keep doing that but Bennett blew his chance. fumbling twice in a game for a RB is crap, let alone on consecutive touches.

Tice needs to be muttering "Protect the football" all the time. Maybe get some posters, some T-shirts, whatever. They scored 27 out of 37 points off turnovers. If you turn each of our turnovers into FGs for us instead of points for them we win this game 23-10.

You're defense also can't do crap when they have to play for 20 minutes in the first half, or defend against SEVEN turnovers. It doesn't matter who is playing defense, you give the ball up 7 times and make them play 20 minutes in the first half, they're not going to do a thing.

It's not as much of a break down as people are making it out too be. We simply need to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL and we'll be fine. make sure Daunte knows not to force it but to throw it away some times. He shouldn't have to do it all himself.

Also, let him know he can friggin' run with the ball. I think with 4700 passing yards last year he proved he can be an effective pocket passer and thats where he is best, but use your running ability, it'll open things up more. There were at least 2 INTs that I saw where he could have ran for 5 yards or more but tried to force a pass that got picked off.

Run with a RB that doesn't fumble, remind Daunte to throw it away, protect the passer (We need a better Center, not to replace Marcus Johnson).

sdvikefan
09-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Vikeman is right on the money here. As I said in my own post, committing 12 total turnovers is the major factor why we lost both of these games. We just kept giving them the ball, in many cases with great field position. Doesn't matter how good your defense is. You keep turning the ball over, the other team is bound to score.

Deadly_Diabetic
09-19-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere else or not, but does it seem like Burly is starting to lose his #1 wr position to T. Taylor? I didn't see the game but just by seeing the stats. Those that watched, let me know.

-DD

mnvikes61
09-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Burleson got injuried, didnt' look like anything serious though. i don't know what period he got injuried in but i think that's why he was unheard of most of the time DD.

edlantis
09-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Who to blame??? C-Pep? O-Line? Lack of a running game? Poor defense?

These aren't two losses because someone had a "bad game." This is a systemic problem that is wreaking havoc all over the place! That leads us to coaching.

During Tice's tenure, I can recall only one gameplan that seemed to make a lot of sense, it was a Monday Night game against Greenbay (can't remember the date off hand). Beyond that, Tice would seem to play around with some randomly inferior gameplan that would usually falter and subsequently fall upon C-Pep and Moss to bail him out.

Here is my challenge, if you gave every coach in this league an exactly equally talented team, how many games would Tice win?

I feel pity for the players. The coaching staff doesn't seem to have a gameplan that people feel confident in, and they are playing far below their potential. I am not a big Bennet fan, but its hard to get into a rhthym when you get benched the first time you screw up. That should build his confidence!

And like the rest of you, I am scratching my head about why some people get played and others don't, why some screw up and get benched, and others get left in their to help bury the corpses.

Would be talking about these things if Parcel was coaching??? Tice was a planned failure by big Red to move or sell this team! Time to get a real coach!

Edlantis

hovan
09-19-2005, 05:05 AM

Im in no way shape or form talking bad about the vikings, infact since both games have ended i've been prolley one of the most postive guys on the site. I'm talking about our running game sucking, like 233243 people on this site believe in. I'm the furthest from " jumping ship".

Yeah, wasn't directed at you. I just hope some guys on here will read that and maybe calm down. I cried after that Antonio Freeman Monday night debacle a couple of years ago, this I can handle.

Deadly_Diabetic
09-19-2005, 05:12 AM
*** BEGIN BARELY RELEVANT POST ***

>Hovan,

Me too. Ofcourse at the time of that catch I was engaged to my now wife who was born in Appleton, WS and most of her family still lives in that area, which means her entire family are cheeseheads. When Freeman made that catch, she jumped up and down and started cheering her a$$ off and I gave her the "eat $hit and die" stare. It was the worst fight we ever got into. I seriously thought the relationship was going to end that night. Of course we worked through it and marrying her was the best thing that has ever happened to me but everytime I see that replay, I remember that dreadful night and tears I shed. F#$% Antonio Freeman

-DD

hovan
09-19-2005, 05:25 AM
"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:

*** BEGIN BARELY RELEVANT POST ***

>Hovan,

Me too. Ofcourse at the time of that catch I was engaged to my now wife who was born in Appleton, WS and most of her family still lives in that area, which means her entire family are cheeseheads. When Freeman made that catch, she jumped up and down and started cheering her a$$ off and I gave her the "eat $hit and die" stare. It was the worst fight we ever got into. I seriously thought the relationship was going to end that night. Of course we worked through it and marrying her was the best thing that has ever happened to me but everytime I see that replay, I remember that dreadful night and tears I shed. F#$% Antonio Freeman

-DD

And remember the GREAT SNICKER KICKER...who just had to fall on the football....but NO. Had to try and be a hero.

cajunvike
09-19-2005, 05:43 AM
"VikemanX84" wrote:

We have to stop truning the ball over. Thats it, really. I mean isn't not just Culpepper, Bennett fumbled twice which lead to Culpepper feeling rushed and making bad decisions. On the final drive in the TB game, we had fumbles, and balls bouncing off hands, etc...

I think the announcers hit the nail on the head a couple of times once when they said Daunte doesn't trust his offensive line. I also don't think he trusts himself. It's a fast game and you have to play it with your instincts, he isn't trusting his reads, feels he can't make a mistake, gets pressured, and eventually makes a decision, but it's a bad one.

Running the ball is good. Keep doing that but Bennett blew his chance. fumbling twice in a game for a RB is crap, let alone on consecutive touches.

Tice needs to be muttering "Protect the football" all the time. Maybe get some posters, some T-shirts, whatever. They scored 27 out of 37 points off turnovers. If you turn each of our turnovers into FGs for us instead of points for them we win this game 23-10.

You're defense also can't do crap when they have to play for 20 minutes in the first half, or defend against SEVEN turnovers. It doesn't matter who is playing defense, you give the ball up 7 times and make them play 20 minutes in the first half, they're not going to do a thing.

It's not as much of a break down as people are making it out too be. We simply need to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL and we'll be fine. make sure Daunte knows not to force it but to throw it away some times. He shouldn't have to do it all himself.

Also, let him know he can friggin' run with the ball. I think with 4700 passing yards last year he proved he can be an effective pocket passer and thats where he is best, but use your running ability, it'll open things up more. There were at least 2 INTs that I saw where he could have ran for 5 yards or more but tried to force a pass that got picked off.

Run with a RB that doesn't fumble, remind Daunte to throw it away, protect the passer (We need a better Center, not to replace Marcus Johnson).

Dead on, Vikeman!!!

BUT that still doesn't take into account the poor game planning and poor gameday decision-making by the coaching staff...there needs to be better coaching otherwise it won't matter how well our players play. What I am losing confidence in the most is how the coaching staff fails to adjust when things start to go wrong...that is what defines great coaches...and our coaches are failing miserably at doing what they are most supposed to do...LEAD!!! Without great leadership in these trying times, we will surely sink to the bottom of the standing...unless the coaching staff steps up and takes control of this before it gets out of hand, the Vikings will NOT make the playoffs. It is still early, so there is time to right the ship...but the time to lead is now...and the coaches need to do their jobs!

hovan
09-19-2005, 05:48 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"VikemanX84" wrote:

Dead on, Vikeman!!!

BUT that still doesn't take into account the poor game planning and poor gameday decision-making by the coaching staff...there needs to be better coaching otherwise it won't matter how well our players play. What I am losing confidence in the most is how the coaching staff fails to adjust when things start to go wrong...that is what defines great coaches...and our coaches are failing miserably at doing what they are most supposed to do...LEAD!!! Without great leadership in these trying times, we will surely sink to the bottom of the standing...unless the coaching staff steps up and takes control of this before it gets out of hand, the Vikings will NOT make the playoffs. It is still early, so there is time to right the ship...but the time to lead is now...and the coaches need to do their jobs!

Yah, I would have to say it would be nice to see the Vikes use SHOTGUN before they are down 3 touchdowns.

MN_Fan
09-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Embarassing performance as in week #1. Not a team in the NFL that will win ballgames with 7 turnovers. I can accept a loss when it is a well played game, but the massive mental breakdowns is another animial. I like Tice, but he needs more consistancy with his player managment and reduce the number of mental errors, specifically his skill players.

We all know Culpepper is our man (and for years to come) but his decisions over the last two weeks have been terrible. A sideline stint if only as a way to calm him would have been in order in the third quarter. Especially after the game was out of reach. Opposite for Bennett. Why pull him after the damage was already done. Let him work out of it and find a way to redeem himself. He hasn't been given the necessary reps (outside of injury). I suspect we will see Mike B. on another team next year as a high producer and we can all talk about why he didn't play at that level for us. I hope they (coaches) make a committment to a starting running back and stick with it next week. These young men (moore bennet) need to be shown the confidence they deserve and be allowed to perform. Otherwise they will be doubting themselves the rest of the year.

It's hard to judge the defense so far with the amount of time they are on the field. I don't think they are built to play 20+ min in one half. I think the corners played well today but the safety performance was poor. The d play calling was out of sync. Look for other teams to work the no huddle and exploit the middle of the field. Same as last year. Still no pass rush after about ten years, but the run support was adequate considering the amount of time the d was playing.

Overall, this this team has not shown the mental toughness it takes to win in the NFL. Winning and losing is often determined by which team makes the fewest mistakes. Eliminating mistakes starts with perfection of the fundementals which is honed through practice, practice, practice. Pure talent alone will not do it, that is why we never won a championship with R. Moss. And on that subject, that is exactly why you don't need buy into the so called experts in the media. I remember the offense perfoming solidly last year while Moss was hurt.

I suspect we will see the Vikes in games where the mistakes are eliminated (mostly) and they'll perform beautifully. Until then, keep the faith my purple friends.

MN_Fan

BigEasyViking
09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Alright, I just read this entire thread and so far here is what I have all seen can fix our problems:

1)Fire the entire coaching staff
2)Bench Daute
3)Trade for Ricky Williams(YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS)
4)Hire DITKA
5)Bench Bennett and Memo
6)Get a new FB(What CHU talkin about Willis? That's tha SAUCE's spot!!!) :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Alright, I understand that desperate times call for desperate measures but I really think that at times like this we need to have faith. We have started off the season with two of the worst performances that I can remember but we all know that we have the talent to be a very good team in this league. I sincerely think that this is a blessing for us that we are starting slow this year instead of finishing off terrible. I am as frusterated as anyone and don't have an answer, but I will wait patiently until we get in sync. I strongly believe that it will take one good week to make this team believe that they can win again. Once they do this I see a very large winning streak in our future! I think that C-pepp will spread the ball around like we know that he can, and I believe that we will see who really wants to be on this team in the process! Man, I hope I'm right because I don't know that i can take much more of this?

:angel7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :angel7:

UTVikfan
09-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Big easy, you forgot the most important part. We need to fire the mascot cause of how he dances.

Deadly_Diabetic
09-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't know how many (if any) of you guys subscribe to Fantasyguru.com, it's generally a pretty good site especially if you play competitive FF. Anyway, they have a section where they break down what options people have if they need to pick someone up from waviers and this was in there:

"9. Ricky Williams (Mia) – He’ll definitely have a role and value here, and he’s 50% through his suspension. The Vikings should look to acquire this guy."

LOL

-DD

I'm telling you it's Walker vol. 2!