PDA

View Full Version : Tice's tenure already questioned by fans

singersp
09-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Nice article from Don Seeholzer on fan questions.

Q: Mr. Seeholzer, I feel Mr. (Zygi) Wilf has a real diamond in the rough with the Vikings. He has good talent on the players' end and loyal fans. He just needs the right coaches in place. I predict after this season, no matter how we finish, he will clean house on the coaching staff. It is the right time for a change that, in my opinion, could bring out the best in this club. Your thoughts, please.

R. Anderson, Maumelle, Ark.

A: I wouldn't say no matter how they finish. If coach Mike Tice can win the NFC North and get this team deep into the playoffs, he deserves to return.

Q: I think unless the Vikings make it to the NFC championship game, Tice is out as coach. It seems to me that Zygi is a more hands-on owner. Do you think this is Tice's last year as the Vikings' coach?

Anonymous, Cottage Grove

A: One more time: Unless the Vikings suffer a slew of injuries to key players, I believe Tice has to win the division and a playoff game or two to keep his job.

Q: Mike Tice has gotten a free pass from the local press. Why? With a 7-5 record with four games remaining last season, he went on national radio campaigning for the University of Washington head-coaching job and not a single local writer criticized him for it. It is not a coincidence that the Vikings went 1-3 after that. Lack of discipline has been a major issue with this team and no one is saying anything about it.

SamsonO, Portsmouth, Va.

A: Tice has done a good job of cultivating the local and national media, but I definitely don't think he gets a free pass. Besides, the Vikings' record will determine whether he returns after this season, and nothing anyone writes or says figures to change that.

Q: Goodness, what a week. Why doesn't Tice go ahead and sign David Dixon (who actually had a great season last year)? Furthermore, why does he believe in (Michael) Bennett so much? He never drafted him. I think Bennett does have some positive attributes, but a feature back he is not. I believe Bennett should be used like a David Palmer. Furthermore, do you believe that if the running woes continue, the team will make a trade for Ricky Williams? I'm partly joking, but it is a possibility and could become a reality after Week 4. Every quality team has a good running back. Until Tice actually has faith in a running back who produces regularly and sticks with him, this team is going nowhere. Clearly, Ricky is a running back who has had problems, but his play on the field has never been questioned.

Chris, Wilmington, N.C.

A: I can't believe we're talking about David Dixon and Ricky Williams after one game. I'm not sure either, or both, could solve the Vikings' problems.

Q: Do you think that Steve Loney is in over his head handling the offensive line and coordinator positions?

JS, St. Paul

A: I don't know about over his head, but Loney has a lot to deal with right now. The offensive line problems alone are a full-time job.

Q: Daunte (Culpepper) is not a leader. He can rack up the stats to make his numbers look good, but he can't win. Play Brad Johnson. He's a proven winner.

Anonymous

A: One game into the season and already a call for Johnson? Congratulations on winning this year's Knee-Jerk Award.

Q: Don, is it just me or does it seem Vikings fans are hitting the panic button a little early? We played a terrible game, especially the offensive line. That being said, we still had an opportunity to win if Moe Williams catches the less-than-perfect pass. If the offensive line settles down, we will be a team to be dealt with in the playoffs. Our defense still needs to get together as a unit, but we are light years ahead of last year.

Mike Strabley, Morton, Ill.

A: Finally, a voice of reason. Add to that the fact that Culpepper doesn't figure to play many more games like the one he had Sunday and the outlook isn't totally bleak.

We don't need to go outside looking for runninng backs or lineman just because of one game, nor do we need a new head coach. We need to fix & correct the problems with the players we have right now. Loney is spread to thin.

I say let the players play & the coaches coach.

shockzilla
09-18-2005, 04:18 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Nice article from Don Seeholzer on fan questions.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/12668364.htm

We don't need to go outside looking for runninng backs or lineman just because of one game, nor do we need a new head coach. We need to fix & correct the problems with the players we have right now. Loney is spread to thin.

I say let the players play & the coaches coach.

Make sure when you quote an article, and you need to register in order to read it, that you post the article instead of linking to it...

NordicNed
09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I also feel it's way to early to start talking new Coaches and players and such..

We have a whole season left infront of us, one lose isn't going to sink this Vikings ship...

But a win today would sure get it sailing straight again..

singersp
09-18-2005, 04:40 PM
"shockzilla" wrote:

Make sure when you quote an article, and you need to register in order to read it, that you post the article instead of linking to it...

Shock, It's difficult for me to tell if someone needs to register or not. I always go to preview to see if the link works & it pops right up for me, probably because I'm registered. I usually don't like to publish the whole article because of "intellectual property" rights & it's also in the PPO rules.

I re-corrected the link by going straight to the paper & then the article, rather than where I found it. Will someone tell me if it works now without having to register?

PurplePackerEater
09-18-2005, 06:00 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"shockzilla" wrote:

Shock, It's difficult for me to tell if someone needs to register or not. I always go to preview to see if the link works & it pops right up for me, probably because I'm registered. I usually don't like to publish the whole article because of "intellectual property" rights & it's also in the PPO rules.

I re-corrected the link by going straight to the paper & then the article, rather than where I found it. Will someone tell me if it works now without having to register?

No. It still asked me to register.

singersp
09-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I posted the entire article because fans did not want to register to read it & I could not get a work around link. Thanx for the info PPE!

RK.
09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I also feel it's way to early to start talking new Coaches and players and such..

I think we have been talking about needing a new coach for the last two years. :smile:

6-KINGS
09-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I think Viking fans are always talikng about a new coach.
haha
We are never happy it seems.

Burley81
09-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Jim Fassel, where are you?

dam22oz
09-18-2005, 07:22 PM
TICE has the team totally unprepared today.....He needs to be fired along with his staff!!!

GBFan
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
agreed. I said earlier I think the Vikes have a good team........and the talent to be a very good one, but I don't see them doing anything with Tice as their coach

Ltrey33
09-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm questioning it right now.

dam22oz
09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
As a long time Viking fan I am really discouraged by the way they look right now. The offense looks confused as well as the defense. I just don't understand it.

ItalianStallion
09-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey remember when Ted Cottrell was supposed to be good?

dog132313
09-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Anyway we can get Charlie Wise from Notre Dame?? Proven winner with Super Bowl Experience. I thought we should have went after him last year!!

singersp
09-18-2005, 08:37 PM
"dam22oz" wrote:

TICE has the team totally unprepared today.....He needs to be fired along with his staff!!!

Someone's going to have to explain to me how 3 turnovers is the fault of the coaches.

RK.
09-18-2005, 08:55 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"dam22oz" wrote:

Someone's going to have to explain to me how 3 turnovers is the fault of the coaches.

So far its 8 turnovers in two weeks. Its called fundamentals. Something coach's are supposed to see that their team has. :wink:

Paulbedy59
09-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Are coaching sucks.It,s that simple.

MuzikQ
09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
"RK" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"dam22oz" wrote:

So far its 8 turnovers in two weeks. Its called fundamentals. Something coach's are supposed to see that their team has. :wink:

Make that 9 turnovers. damnnn, doesn't make sense

singersp
09-18-2005, 09:04 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Dante throws 3 interceptions (2 were) tipped & you guys blame coaching. BRILLIANT!

MuzikQ
09-18-2005, 09:07 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Dante throws 3 interceptions (2 were) tipped & you guys blame coaching. BRILLIANT!

Blame both, i know for sure its the coaching, but like i said one week i think otherwise about duante..

singersp
09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Daunte is focusing on one target & not scanning the field. Quit doing that Daunte!

TWill19
09-18-2005, 09:16 PM
It is out timing. It is our coaches. Daunte is at fault for sure. Its a number of things. The team stinks. Seems like nobody has any faith in each other. It is horrible.

kyleo1967
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Are you kidding me! of course it's coaching. Do they ever win on the road w/ Tice? Backs not wrapping up the ball when they go inside, recievers not finishing routes and not looking the ball in, all fundamentals. This team is not prepared! AGAIN! Don't get me wrong, I like Tice, but he can't get the job done. And as long has you have the lowest paid coach you will always have 2nd rate coordinators. Are window will be open for several years. Change the coach now and move forward. If we go 1-3 to the break, tice is gone, if not tonight.

I hate it. it breaks my heart. I really had high expectations this year and we still might win the division. But to be a superbowl team we need a coaching staff. Jimmy Johnson? You out there?

ADubya26
09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I have always disliked Tice, but I always defended Culpepper until now. This guy is a seasoned vet and he plays like a rookie. He lacks any sort of decision making ability. 0 TDs 8 Ints, and the game isnt even over yet.

I don't care what anyone says about Oline or anything, Culpepper will NEVER win a Superbowl, you can take that to the bank. Please give me an argument to prove elsewise.

I'll always be a Vikes fan but until Culpepper retired or whatever, we don;t have a shot at going all the way.

mnjamie
09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
3-22 on the road since 2001 !!! Being on the road is all about mental preparation ... that is on the coaching. End of story.

TWill19
09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Culpepper is a rookie this year.

Muggsy
09-18-2005, 10:32 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around, but it's going to be the coach who's going to get the axe, bottom line, in a situation like this. I believe it's better to lose him early, and hope for a coach to salvage something from the season.

So, who's available, if not in-house?

Also, this should be the time to replace Culpepper, who clearly has been counting his money from his new contract ( good to see him earning it ), and not reading his playbook. Do we bench him ( puh-leez do! ) and replace him with Brad, or search for another quarterback? I don't think it's viable to find another quarterback from somewhere else, so I guess it means Brad.

Man, where did I put that bottle of scotch......?

cc21
09-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Why would you bench Culpeper?!?! Are you crazy. If we bench Daunte, that means we are giving up on the season.

LuckyVike
09-18-2005, 10:36 PM
"OldManVike" wrote:

There's plenty of blame to go around, but it's going to be the coach who's going to get the axe, bottom line, in a situation like this. I believe it's better to lose him early, and hope for a coach to salvage something from the season.

So, who's available, if not in-house?

Also, this should be the time to replace Culpepper, who clearly has been counting his money from his new contract ( good to see him earning it ), and not reading his playbook. Do we bench him ( puh-leez do! ) and replace him with Brad, or search for another quarterback? I don't think it's viable to find another quarterback from somewhere else, so I guess it means Brad.

Man, where did I put that bottle of scotch......?

No chance Culpepper is going to get benched or traded. Coaching change is a good possibility. Lets hope so atleast...

ADubya26
09-18-2005, 10:51 PM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

Why would you bench Culpeper?!?! Are you crazy. If we bench Daunte, that means we are giving up on the season.

Well so far by keeping him in there we are giving up on the season. Bench him and see how things go, he needs to realize that he needs to earn that 8 mil raise and that doing tv commercials will not make him a winner.

LosAngelis
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
First of all:

Culpepper is the best thing you have going. He's always been shaken by confidence issues, and the start of this year is no exception. It's funny the the usual cause of his insecurity (Moss) also contributes to his lack of confidence being the only offensive team leader (and thus, under the microscope more often).

But, if you honestly think Brad Jonson is an upgrade...well, you're really upset about this loss. It's understandable. But we have people calling for us to put in Craig Nall after Brett Favre has a game with a couple INTs. As Viking fans, do you honestly think that makes any sense?

Secondly,

After two seasons of completely imploding your seasons back in on itself, the fact that Mike Tice is still here in the first place is the best news that Packer fans have had.

I've said it before...I thought that the Packers may have been out-talented this offseason by the Vikes, but as long as you have Tice, we still have a chance at the division title.

Could you imagine boht of our teams being 0-5 going into our game together?

Muggsy
09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
LosAngelis wrote:

First of all:Culpepper is the best thing you have going.

No, LosAngelis, Culpepper is the best thing YOU PACKER FANS have going. Of course you want him to stay the starting quarterback. The way he's playing, the Vikings couldn't beat a Pop Warner team. There is no acceptable excuse for the way he's playing. He's been in the league long enough to have seen just about everything, so why he's imploding right now is a complete mystery. I've been rooting for the Vikes since before many of you were born, and I can't recall this team's starting quarterback starting out so badly. If Culpepper continues his poor performance, he needs to be benched and allow Brad Johnson to take over. Maybe losing his job for a week would shock some sense into him. I doubt he cares that he will be costing Mike Tice his job.

LosAngelis, maybe we should combine our two teams. Perhaps somewhere there would be enough talent and coaching to field a winning team.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

(Steps off soapbox.)

DaunteHOF
09-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Tice is on the last year of his contract, perfect for him to make a leave...

lukeshkin
09-19-2005, 02:39 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/lukeshkin/99bd2010.jpg

MattShortNB81
09-19-2005, 02:50 AM
i think that Mike Tice might have a thing for Michael Bennett..cuz he just wont give up on this guy.......2 fumbles today...thats what it took to finally give Moore some carries......is Fasons still hurt..if not..why didnt i see him any?

KWILL93
09-19-2005, 04:03 AM
THere is more than enough blame to go around here. Pep needs to step up for certain but he has also never had the coaching to fully develop him in the system. Tice continues to show that he is in WAY over his head. If he was smart and he cared about this team he would step down now, before he was fired. Now does this mean Cotrell, who I assume would be next in line comes in and can make changes. Maybe, maybe not. BUt I don't think that there are many people myself included that would think our season is close to over if they go 0-3.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2005, 04:11 AM
think that Mike Tice might have a thing for Michael Bennett..cuz he just wont give up on this guy-MattShortNB81-

LMAO! i was thinkin tha same, tice has a man crush on bennett, or bennetts dy-no-myte in the sheets ;) haha

shockzilla
09-19-2005, 04:13 AM
"OldManVike" wrote:

I've been rooting for the Vikes since before many of you were born, and I can't recall this team's starting quarterback starting out so badly.

Apparently you weren't around in the early 70's, with Gary Cuozzo...

Newman
09-19-2005, 04:29 AM
mike tice is a fing chump. where was his pencil. I saw him wearing glasses. is that the new mike tice? the intellectual. what a jackass. i hate him. thats all i have to say.

VegasLadyJae
09-19-2005, 04:33 AM
"shockzilla" wrote:

"OldManVike" wrote:

I've been rooting for the Vikes since before many of you were born, and I can't recall this team's starting quarterback starting out so badly.

Hey Sockzilla, that's too funny. My uncle says Norm Snead was worse as well as Bob Berry.

ultravikingfan
09-19-2005, 04:35 AM
"shockzilla" wrote:

"OldManVike" wrote:

Zing!

OaklandVike
09-19-2005, 04:46 AM
"shockzilla" wrote:

"OldManVike" wrote:

Why did he have more than 10 turnovers in the first two games in any of those years?

edlantis
09-19-2005, 05:26 AM
Fellow Vikes Fans,

Tice Summary:
1. Can't put together a gameplan, relies on big play (no longer an option)
2. Illegally sells Superbowl tickets - gets slap on hand
3. Tries to get another Coaching position after sinking the Vikes ship - unfortunately the Vikes slide into the NFC championship game THANKS TO C-PEP!!!
4. Is over his head, confused
5. Was hired to sink the Vikes so Red could move or sell the team

Why are we keeping this guy???

natethegreat
09-19-2005, 05:35 AM
no coach in nfl history could have won us these two games when we have had 12 turnovers so far, even if it was 8 turnovers in 2 games it would not have mattered who coached our vikes