PDA

View Full Version : Dr Z's Rankings

ShanePurpleBlood
09-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow, he hates us. Dr Z makes Robinson look like a Vikings fan.

21 -- Minnesota Vikings (0-1)
Never judge anything by what happens in the exhibition season. Minny was 3-1. Then they stunk it up against the Bucs. It means nothing, less than nothing, minus nothing, actually, because many times coaches desperate to hang onto their jobs attempt to fool their owners by going for victories in the preseason.

Just 3 spots up on Oakland? Hater!

Read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/09/14/ranks.week1.part2/index.html

VKG4LFE
09-16-2005, 09:09 PM
It was one week, who cares!

PurplePackerEater
09-16-2005, 09:14 PM
The Vikes just need to prove everyone wrong. If they aren't as bad as people think, prove it.

lukeshkin
09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
dr.z makes mike tice look like steven hawking this guy is just a bandwagoneer he is still all over the panthers and the eagles both of whom lost this guy is a frickin idiot

mnjamie
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
He's an idiot. Followed the guy last year and was dead wrong all the time. Monitor him for awhile, you'll see what i mean.

JDogg926
09-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Dr. Z eats poop for breakfast.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I will keep posting his ratings here, as well as Robinson's ratings on another thread. We will see how stupid people get paid to spout poo.

NeumDog
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey, for as long as I can remember, Dr. Z's never been right about anything.

Caine
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I actually wrote to the guy...just for giggles:

I wish I could have your job…or that of any so called “Sports Analyst�. You know, one would think that if someone is going to write about something, they should at least have an inkling about the topic they’re going to write about…not so in Sports it would seem.

In your Power Rankings (14 Sept 05), you completely missed the boat with two of the 4 NFC North teams and one critical NFL issue (Still in the NFCN). Detroit (ranked much too high) and Minnesota (ranked much too low), and the Jovan Walker issue (Green Bay).

DETROIT: You said, “Three No. 1 draft choices, two Williamses and a Rogers, representing almost a billion dollars worth of coin of the realm, lined up at wide receiver against the Packers last Sunday. When the day was done they had registered, amongst them, five catches for 54 yards. OK, so it's not a billion. But at least I got the other numbers right.�

In fact, Williams, Williams and Rodgers combined for a total of FOUR catches and
47 yards (source: NFL.com). You ranked Detroit at #16 in spite of the fact that Harrington had another sub-par performance (15/28 for 167) and doesn’t appear to be able to hit his receivers, even when they are covered (laughingly) by some of the worst corners in the NFL (Ahmad Carroll and Al Harris). The only reason Detroit won was because Green Bay exceeded all expectations of how rotten they would be this season.

MINNESOTA: Ranked 21st….you have to be delusional. You said, “Never judge anything by what happens in the exhibition season. Minny was 3-1. Then they stunk it up against the Bucs. It means nothing, less than nothing, minus nothing, actually, because many times coaches desperate to hang onto their jobs attempt to fool their owners by going for victories in the preseason.�

How do you assume that Minnesota was “going for victories in the preseason�? Did the 1st team stay on the field an inordinately long period of time? Not to my knowledge they didn’t. Conversely, how many teams “go for the loss in preseason�? I have yet to see that particular strategy attempted…although your statement leads me to believe otherwise.

Minnesota lost 1 game because the Offense had a bad game. It happens. 5 turnovers does NOT lead to victory in most cases. However, I must believe – unlike you it would seem – that Daunte Culpepper will be back in form in week 2 (and subsequent weeks), and is highly unlikely to repeat his anemic performance of week 1. So, feel free to rank Minnesota at #21…it’ll be all that much sweeter when they begin pummeling teams you ranked higher.

Jovan Walker Hold Out: You stated, “Wideout Javon Walker was the best young player on the Packers roster. This summer he threatened to hold out because he felt his base salaries for '05 and '06, the last two years of his contract, were too low. Then he gave in and reported on time anyway. His agent argued that a major injury could end his future chances to land a really good deal. On Sunday that's exactly what happened. Torn ACL. Out for the season. So waddya say, folks. Let's not be too hard on every holdout from now on, OK?�.

Now I KNOW you’re nuts. Jovan Walker had one good season. Let’s count them again…ummm….one…..oh, that’s it…just one. One good season is not the basis for a mega-bucks deal. How many players have had one good season, got huge contract extensions and pay raises, then went on to “perform below expectations�? In Green Bay, you need only look as far as Antonio Freeman. So, yes folks, when a 3rd year player who hasn’t finished out his initial 5-year contract holds out after ONE good season, by all means be hard on him. The fact that the got injured does not add any credibility to his previous demands…it just makes for another crappy sob story by another crappy sports writer.

And, finally, here’s a tip. If you can’t be bothered to actually WATCH the games/teams you’re writing about so as to develop some sort of plausible basis for the piece you’re writing, DON’T BOTHER WRITING IT.

While I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this will change absolutely nothing, it made ME feel better.

Caine

mnjamie
09-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Caine:

And, finally, here’s a tip. If you can’t be bothered to actually WATCH the games/teams you’re writing about so as to develop some sort of plausible basis for the piece you’re writing, DON’T BOTHER WRITING IT.

--- Completely agree, none of these guys watch any of the games and then try to play "Monday Morning Quarterback" all the time. AND GET PAID FOR IT, dang sure wish I was that lucky to find a "Career" like that.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-16-2005, 10:02 PM
That was sweet Caine! Couldn't have written a better one!

Prophet
09-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Nice letter Caine.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Vikings ranking based on his lack of analysis. Put them anywhere in the mix and it still is just as valid.

Without looking at anything other than the few games I watched, the highlight reels, and the stats I would have to put the Vikings somewhere in the middle of the pack after week 1. My purple shades puts them in the top 10 teams with a potential for grabbing the #1 slot by the end of the season.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-16-2005, 10:10 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Nice letter Caine.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Vikings ranking based on his lack of analysis. Put them anywhere in the mix and it still is just as valid.

Without looking at anything other than the few games I watched, the highlight reels, and the stats I would have to put the Vikings somewhere in the middle of the pack after week 1. My purple shades puts them in the top 10 teams with a potential for grabbing the #1 slot by the end of the season.

I like the the "Purple Shades" Prophet!

shawn
09-16-2005, 10:11 PM
I love it, very well written!!!

cajunvike
09-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Once again....great analysis, Caine! Also, congrats on the G!

In honor of this momentous occasion:

Caine (sung to the tune of "Jane" with apologies to Jefferson Starship)

Caine you say it's all over for old Dr. Z (yeah)
There's a time to retire and his time is upon us you see (baby)
Caine you're questioning his fame
Said that his column was real lame
Letting him know that he should hide in shame

Caine you're slammin' a scribe who has the head of a pin
You're smackin' him so hard he won' t know where he's been
Like the Pack and the Vikes (Pack and the Vikes)
You eat him up like some Mike and Ikes
He can't pretend he don't know the stupid things that he writes

Then came that night he got your letter (email)
Telling him that he couldn't do better (no no)
Oh Caine, Z ain't got no game, ain't got no game, ain't got no game

Caine, Z ain't got no game, his words are so weak (yeah)
Caine you figured him out and made the poor fool weep (yes you did)
Oh Caine that's a slam on Z
Oh Caine and you did it for free
Caine Caine Caine
(Caine Caine Caine)...

VKG4LFE
09-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Good work Caine!

Note to self: Don't get into an argument with Caine, he would verbally whoop my @$$!!

PurplePeopleEaters
Great job Caine. I have yet to write angry letters to sportswriters but I will soon if they keep bashing my Vikes. I am sure you get a lot of practice for those letters on here. your posts are always extravagant and long winded. :lol:

Caine
"cajunvike" wrote:

Once again....great analysis, Caine! Also, congrats on the G!

In honor of this momentous occasion:

Caine (sung to the tune of "Jane" with apologies to Jefferson Starship)

Caine you say it's all over for old Dr. Z (yeah)
There's a time to retire and his time is upon us you see (baby)
Caine you're questioning his fame
Said that his column was real lame
Letting him know that he should hide in shame

Caine you're slammin' a scribe who has the head of a pin
You're smackin' him so hard he won' t know where he's been
Like the Pack and the Vikes (Pack and the Vikes)
You eat him up like some Mike and Ikes
He can't pretend he don't know the stupid things that he writes

Then came that night he got your letter (email)
Telling him that he couldn't do better (no no)
Oh Caine, Z ain't got no game, ain't got no game, ain't got no game

Caine, Z ain't got no game, his words are so weak (yeah)
Caine you figured him out and made the poor fool weep (yes you did)
Oh Caine that's a slam on Z
Oh Caine and you did it for free
Caine Caine Caine
(Caine Caine Caine)...

Pretty funny, Cajun :lol:

Caine

ShanePurpleBlood
09-16-2005, 10:34 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Good work Caine!

Note to self: Don't get into an argument with Caine, he would verbally whoop my @$$!!

That is funny, but true!

Caine
09-16-2005, 10:36 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Great job Caine. I have yet to write angry letters to sportswriters but I will soon if they keep bashing my Vikes. I am sure you get a lot of practice for those letters on here. your posts are always extravagant and long winded. :lol:

:shock: I'm not quite sure how to take that....

Caine

Paulbedy59
09-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Nice letter and poem guys.Yep Z is an idiot.The only one who can compete with him on an idiot scale is Pompie from the sporting news.

vikings6490
09-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Nice one Caine

PurplePeopleEaters
09-17-2005, 03:28 AM
"Caine" wrote:

Caine

:lol: I like reading your posts.

ultravikingfan
09-17-2005, 04:11 AM
"Caine" wrote:

Caine

I think he was trying to say "shut up."

:lol:

Caine
09-17-2005, 06:24 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

Caine

I think he was trying to say "shut up."

:lol:

You are SO getting a kick in the nards for that. :shock:

Caine

OaklandVike
09-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Caine, first of all I agree with what you said in your initial post and letter. But based solely on week one where do you/everyone else think the vikes rank? I don't think the purpose of the rankings is to predict where teams will finnish, but where they should rank after week one. That said they have to be middle or bottom half of the NFL after week one? I'm a huge Vikes fan, but that game was beyond dissapointing, I watched it with several huge Vikes fans and we all had a little bit, hell a lot of that here we go again feeling...not losing all hope but very dissapointed.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Ouch! 31st The Saints game will change that!

31 21 Minnesota Vikings (0-2)
Excuse me, but after two games I will never laugh at some people's dark horse Super Bowl team taking the pipe. It's happened to me too many times. Want to blame it all on Moss' departure? How about the fact that the Bengals put up 27 points and 337 yards by halftime?

Read on:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/09/21/power.ranks.week2.part2/index.html

Jviking
09-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Z=waste of flesh
Caine=the man

StillPurple
09-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I hate Dr.Z !! he knows something about everything, except one thing:

NFL football !!

C-PepNSalt
09-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, he's right until we prove him wrong isn't he....we are terrible. The saints game will hopefully change it, but i have an inkling, we might improve but no leaps and bounds here

ShanePurpleBlood
09-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok we have moved up a little, but I still think this guy gets paid to poo out of his mouth.

24 31 Minnesota Vikings (1-2)
I've got the weirdest statistic of the year for you. Each team facing the Vikes this season recorded its highest penalty total of the season in that game. I guess there's something about those purple uniforms that gets people mad.

Read on:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/09/28/ranks.week3.part2/index.html

Del Rio
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
That's funny about the stats. I realized that yesterday when we were talking about penalties.

If the bengals wouldn't of had 17 penalties lol we would have lost way worse 50+

I don't know if you credit to defense or worry that we have been lucking out.

VKG4LFE
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Let us keep on being the sleepers, I don't mind.

ShanePurpleBlood
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Now we are down to 27, about the same as Robinsons Rankings. Still ahead of everyone in our division though. At least Dr Z got something right!

27 24 Minnesota Vikings (1-3)
"What a smart thing Mike Tice did," one of my informants told me. "Holding all those defensive guys out against Atlanta so they'd be completely rested up for the division games that pile up after the bye week." Yeah, I too would like to believe it's a masterstroke, but something doesn't really sit right about this. Hard to pin down. It's like the canary suddenly singing La Traviata.

Read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/10/05/ranks.week4.part2/index.html

Ltrey33
10-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Why do we have to suck so bad??!!?! AAHHHH!!!!!

V4L
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Oh well.. I don't care what people think of the Vikes.. Let's just pick up some wins

VKG4LFE
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I kind of agree that it was smart to rest some guys before we play the division foes after the bye. Granted I hate losing, but maybe we'll start the week after the bye by going into chitown and whoopin' up on da bears with a bunch of rested guys.

WBLVikeBabe
10-06-2005, 06:46 PM
I feel like all the media bashing us is kind of a repeat of last season. Before we played Green Bay everyone was ripping on the Vikes and I think they all (the media) predicted a Green Bay win when we played them in the playoffs. But then we kicked their arses and shoved it in the media's faces. Hopefully we can step up and do that again!

VikingMike
10-07-2005, 02:24 AM
"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

Wow, he hates us. Dr Z makes Robinson look like a Vikings fan.

21 -- Minnesota Vikings (0-1)
Never judge anything by what happens in the exhibition season. Minny was 3-1. Then they stunk it up against the Bucs. It means nothing, less than nothing, minus nothing, actually, because many times coaches desperate to hang onto their jobs attempt to fool their owners by going for victories in the preseason.

Just 3 spots up on Oakland? Hater!

Read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/09/14/ranks.week1.part2/index.html

This guy (Dr?!? my butt) is and always has been a joke...any time he picks a team, bet the other way. But hey, none of the "so-called experts" like us today.

http://hometown.aol.com/mcmlvi88/images/alan%20page.jpg

ShanePurpleBlood
10-13-2005, 03:43 PM
This Dr Z is high on crack! He doesn't even make sense any more.

27 27 Minnesota Vikings (1-3)
Summit conference among the head coach and the players, assistants need not apply. And what do said assistants do while the meeting is going on? I'm not going to say anything vicious because these guys work very hard.

Entire:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/10/12/ranks.week5.part2/index.html

ShanePurpleBlood
10-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Second to last????? Come on the 9ers suck worse!

31 27 Minnesota Vikings (1-4)
THE VIKING
A fearsome chap was he,
Beyond the Great North Sea,
Now just another "honkah"
By the shores of Minnetonka.

Entire:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/10/19/ranks.week7.part2/index.html

VKG4LFE
10-20-2005, 06:31 PM
The cardinals do too, but they can at least kick field goals!

mnvikes61
10-20-2005, 07:24 PM
all these power rankings are a bunch of poo. i could give what some "expert" says about our team. not 3 months ago they all had us picked as a favorite to go to the super bowl. :roll:

Vikes
10-20-2005, 08:33 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Let us keep on being the sleepers, I don't mind.

Thats okay with me. I don't care about rankings or stats. I just care about the 'W' at the end of the game.

VKG4LFE
10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Yep, the only thing that matters is the W! Unfortunately they are not so easy to come by this year! It'll start this week!

StillPurple
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Actually, we usually start like 7-0 and then "fade". The knock on us in the media is that we start strong and then fade in December. Let's make this year different. Let's get better and better toward the end.. !!! :cool:

ShanePurpleBlood
10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yep, the only thing that matters is the W! Unfortunately they are not so easy to come by this year! It'll start this week!

Good call VKG4LF!!

We moved up, but not by much.

29 31 Minnesota Vikings (2-4)
Here's how they beat Green Bay. The Packers have been stopped on third down and are now about to kick the field goal that will tie the game. The clock shows 1:10 and running. "Stop the clock!" scream thousands of Vikings fans in the Metrodome, imploring coach Tice to use his final timeout. "For God's sake, stop it!" The clock continues to run. Fans are fainting, chickens are squawking, police are arresting demonstrators right and left. "The clock, stop it!" Down to 40 seconds it goes, 39. Tice studies his wristwatch. Hmmm, seems to be working all right. What are they yelling about? Down to 30, 29. "Stop the clock!" A drunk wakes up. "Stop the fight," he mumbles. Finally at 0:28 the Packers stop the clock. And tie the game. And the Vikings get a 25-yard kickoff return, and have barely enough time to run two plays and kick a 56-yard field goal, second longest game-winner in NFL history. "See, I knew I did the right thing," says Tice, who had used his final T.O. to set up this monster kick. And that's how they beat Green Bay.

Read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/10/25/ranks.week7.part3/index.html

mnvikes61
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
the more i read from this guy, the more i think he has his head shoved up his butt. :roll:

gregair13
10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Dr Z isnt that smart. his record last year overall in his picks, i believe, was just above 500. thats not very good for being and expect.

ShanePurpleBlood
11-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Well we finally dropped to the bottom. I am sorry, but we are better than a couple teams...aren't we? I think we will get a top 5 draft pick.

32 29 Minnesota Vikings (2-5)
Banner headlines. Steve Smith has Career Day Against Trash Talking Freddy Smoot. Why, I ask you, is NFL-style trash talking such a big deal? I hear it every time the Redhead and I go out to a restaurant. It comes from the cell phones at the neighboring tables. I want to frisbee a dinner plate at their heads. Some restaurants don't allow it. The Hibernia Diner, where I had breakfast this morning, does. Now, the only thing they don't allow is me. After the nasty confrontation I had with a cellphone idiot on Tuesday morning. Now I've got to sit down for a while and cool off.

REad:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/11/01/ranks.week9.part3/index.html

V4L
11-04-2005, 04:06 PM
HAHAHA.. Were last on here.. F*ck Dr.Z.. I could care less how good he thinks we are