PDA

View Full Version : Defensive worries???

smootpepper
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Tampa Bay 345 yards of total offense, is this reason to worry? lets break it down. Bwill lovers might like this one too.

this is the bucs qtr by qtr of how they did. i know there not a great offense, they ranked 16 last year in total but hear me out for a minute.

------ 1st qtr ------

1st Possession
- 3 and out, ball starting on the TB 24, ends on the TB 30

2nd Possession
- 5 and out, ball starting on the TB 12, ends on the TB 6

3rd Possession
- 2 and out, ball starting on the MN 23, ends on a interception for a TD from MN 12

4th Possession
- leads to a TD in the 2nd, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill gives up a 14 yard pass for a 1st down to galloway. Cowart goes out for a stinger, davis gets burned for a TD.

-------- End of 1st -------

TB TOP about 10 minutes <- does this look like the D's fault?
----------------------------

1st Possession
- 2 and out, intercepted by smoot. drive starts on the MN 49, ends on the MN 45

2nd Possession
- leads to a TD, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill misses a tackle and clayton gains 41 yards. TD on a pass into the endzone on zone coverage he just found a hole to sit down in, good play.

3rd Possession
- leads to a FG, we have them to a 3rd and 6 when brown gets burned for 36 yards to the MN 29. Drive ends with a 41 yard FG.

----- End of Second ------
TB TOP about 11 minutes
-----------------------------

1st Possession
- 5 and out, starts on TB 31, ends on TB 21

2nd Possession
- 5 and out , starts on TB 26, ends on TB 29

----- End of Third -------
TB TOP 6 min
---------------------------

1st Possession
- 3 and out, starts TB 31, ends on TB 26

2nd Possession, starts TB 31, ends on TB 40
- 3 and out

3rd Possession
- Gave up a TD on an all out blitz on 3rd and 1. If they get one yard the game is over. Nice call on defense, we just got beat.

---- End of Game -----
TB TOP about 4 min
-------------------------

Judging by this, 14 points were direct results from bwill getting beat, 3 points were a result of brown being beat. overall our defense played good, but our offense just sucked huge. Did you notice that once our offense started to move the ball and eat up some time in the second half our defense started to stiffen.

Stat breakdown.

We held TB to 75 yards total rushing offense up till the last carry of the game where caddie got his TD.

TB averaged 2.5 ypc
Caddy averaged 2.8 ypc with only 77 yards running not counting the last run.

Griese had 2 tds both happened when we had starters out. His stats look like this.

B. Griese 18/29 213 2 2 . Those are not great stats, Normally I look at it as a wash not really that great of stats. I would say they are good stats if he didnt have the 2 interceptions.

Our defense will be good this year, and is only going to get better. If you want to worry about something you should worry about our O, they just look plain old bad.

V-Unit
09-12-2005, 07:32 PM
"smootpepper" wrote:

Tampa Bay 345 yards of total offense, is this reason to worry? lets break it down. Bwill lovers might like this one too.

this is the bucs qtr by qtr of how they did. i know there not a great offense, they ranked 16 last year in total but hear me out for a minute.

------ 1st qtr ------

1st Possession
- 3 and out, ball starting on the TB 24, ends on the TB 30

2nd Possession
- 5 and out, ball starting on the TB 12, ends on the TB 6

3rd Possession
- 2 and out, ball starting on the MN 23, ends on a interception for a TD from MN 12

4th Possession
- leads to a TD in the 2nd, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill gives up a 14 yard pass for a 1st down to galloway. Cowart goes out for a stinger, davis gets burned for a TD.

-------- End of 1st -------

TB TOP about 10 minutes <- does this look like the D's fault?
----------------------------

1st Possession
- 2 and out, intercepted by smoot. drive starts on the MN 49, ends on the MN 45

2nd Possession
- leads to a TD, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill misses a tackle and clayton gains 41 yards. TD on a pass into the endzone on zone coverage he just found a hole to sit down in, good play.

3rd Possession
- leads to a FG, we have them to a 3rd and 6 when brown gets burned for 36 yards to the MN 29. Drive ends with a 41 yard FG.

----- End of Second ------
TB TOP about 11 minutes
-----------------------------

1st Possession
- 5 and out, starts on TB 31, ends on TB 21

2nd Possession
- 5 and out , starts on TB 26, ends on TB 29

----- End of Third -------
TB TOP 6 min
---------------------------

1st Possession
- 3 and out, starts TB 31, ends on TB 26

2nd Possession, starts TB 31, ends on TB 40
- 3 and out

3rd Possession
- Gave up a TD on an all out blitz on 3rd and 1. If they get one yard the game is over. Nice call on defense, we just got beat.

---- End of Game -----
TB TOP about 4 min
-------------------------

Judging by this, 14 points were direct results from bwill getting beat, 3 points were a result of brown being beat. overall our defense played good, but our offense just sucked huge. Did you notice that once our offense started to move the ball and eat up some time in the second half our defense started to stiffen.

Stat breakdown.

We held TB to 75 yards total offense up till the last carry of the game where caddie got his TD.

TB averaged 2.5 ypc
Caddy averaged 2.8 ypc with only 77 yards running not counting the last run.

Griese had 2 tds both happened when we had starters out. His stats look like this.

B. Griese 18/29 213 2 2 . Those are not great stats, Normally I look at it as a wash not really that great of stats. I would say they are good stats if he didnt have the 2 interceptions.

Our defense will be good this year, and is only going to get better. If you want to worry about something you should worry about our O, they just look plain old bad.Great post, I completely agree.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't think we should really worry about either. Both look as if they will play well against the Bengals (I hope). We just need our O-line to protect and Culpepper to get his head in the game.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't think that game was a good indicator of how good our defense could be. They were out there an awful lot and fatigue sets in. That opens the door to big plays.

It's always better for the offense to control the ball, if your defense is out there 24/7 your hurting. They did a dang good job considering their play time. All I am saying is that if you are worried about the D at all I am sure they will get better when our offense can keep them off the field a bit. I know our TOP was around 30 minutes, but the lack of 3rd down conversions is not what our team has been about.

That being said something I found intriguing and stupid at the same time is the 3-3 defense that Cottrell called. It worked on one series but that is the equivelent to a trick play on offense, burn me once baby. Keep in mind the Bucs were about to score off a solid drive when Sharper intercepted the ball.

Pat Williams just like I thought he didn't have the stamina to go the distance. I was very surprised that when he was in there at first he was giving 100% I respect that. I think he will improve over the season if he stays healthy.

Didn't hear much out of Sam Cowart or Nap. I was hoping for a solid leader from the LB core. I didn't see any of that yesterday. I am guessing it is part of the gelling process.

I'd give the defense a solid B for game one. I think they can take it to the next level with more dependable play calling and more chemistry ignited by a solid leader at the LB position.

And I stand by my comments that Johnstone is the man, his technique is unparalleled the guy is an icon. His rips and swims should be put into a video and sold.

Was E. James hurt?

VegasLadyJae
09-12-2005, 07:40 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I don't think we should really worry about either. Both look as if they will play well against the Bengals (I hope). We just need our O-line to protect and Culpepper to get his head in the game.

Exactly.......Sometimes I think Culpepper and the Vikings on offense just aren't mean enough........Stop clapping your hands everytime you come on the field........Get in there and get mad at somebody.....Whoop A$$ mentality......

smootpepper
09-12-2005, 07:47 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I don't think that game was a good indicator of how good our defense could be. They were out there an awful lot and fatigue sets in. That opens the door to big plays.

It's always better for the offense to control the ball, if your defense is out there 24/7 your hurting. They did a dang good job considering their play time. All I am saying is that if you are worried about the D at all I am sure they will get better when our offense can keep them off the field a bit. I know our TOP was around 30 minutes, but the lack of 3rd down conversions is not what our team has been about.

That being said something I found intriguing and stupid at the same time is the 3-3 defense that Cottrell called. It worked on one series but that is the equivelent to a trick play on offense, burn me once baby. Keep in mind the Bucs were about to score off a solid drive when Sharper intercepted the ball.

Pat Williams just like I thought he didn't have the stamina to go the distance. I was very surprised that when he was in there at first he was giving 100% I respect that. I think he will improve over the season if he stays healthy.

Didn't hear much out of Sam Cowart or Nap. I was hoping for a solid leader from the LB core. I didn't see any of that yesterday. I am guessing it is part of the gelling process.

I'd give the defense a solid B for game one. I think they can take it to the next level with more dependable play calling and more chemistry ignited by a solid leader at the LB position.

And I stand by my comments that Johnstone is the man, his technique is unparalleled the guy is an icon. His rips and swims should be put into a video and sold.

Was E. James hurt?

I dont think James was hurt, tice just had him as inactive for some dumb reason. I see lots of people asking this question and so far there is no answer to it.

BTW, that drive that sharper got his interception on was started at our 23 yard line, they gained 5 yards on 2nd down leaving a 3 and 5. They only had 2 plays on that drive when sharper took it to the house. 1 incomplete pass, and one for 5 yards, Not really what I would call a great drive. :smile:

pigskinronin
09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
The defense played well, which is very commendable for how long they were out there. Something that stood out to me was team speed, something we have lacked on defense for awhile. We usually get killed on those sweeps and toss runs to the sideline. I was amazed by even watching Pat run a couple of those down!

Bengals are more of a threat on offense than the Bucs, our defense will be tested on the road. Pep and the offense will spend more time on the field --- looking forward to seeing them get on track!

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 08:20 PM
"smootpepper" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Was E. James hurt?

I dont think James was hurt, tice just had him as inactive for some dumb reason. I see lots of people asking this question and so far there is no answer to it.

BTW, that drive that sharper got his interception on was started at our 23 yard line, they gained 5 yards on 2nd down leaving a 3 and 5. They only had 2 plays on that drive when sharper took it to the house. 1 incomplete pass, and one for 5 yards, Not really what I would call a great drive. :smile:

Your right I am mistaken. It was recovered on the 41 and run back 18 yards before the drive even started. I must have been mixing it up in my head due to the total lack of first downs by our offense all the short drives by them seem like one big long one.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Let's not forget to mention over coverage by the secondary. Winfield did the usual, gave up a few shorter passes, but made the tackle immediately, only allowing like 5 or so yards on the catches. Smoot i don't think was ever thrown at, unless you call that horrible pass that smoot intercepted. He blanketed his guy all day long, even with fighting through cramping all game long. B-will made some mistakes, which seems to be the norm with him, and Tice proceeded to move ralph brown into the nickel spot, only to have him get beat deep. I thought both brown and B-will settled down though and finished strongly after their mistakes.

The biggest suprise to me was Sharper. He played like a madman out there yesterday. I have never seen him hit and tackle like that before. he looks extremely motivated with the move from GB. Look for a huge year from him, as long as our CB's stay healthy and he is allowed to roam free in center field.

finnishvikingsfan
09-12-2005, 08:42 PM
We have nothing to worry about our defense will be fine and our offense will get going.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
It was nice to see cottrell finally open up his playbook and run his scheme.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 10:06 PM
What did you think of the 3-3?

I mean it was good for shock value but common that was bad IMO. They figured it out and scored.

I love the fact that he actually had some people flying around. That makes a huge difference to me. I'd like to see some more variety. 3-3 is a bit extreeme for my tastes but I do not count out him randomly showing a zone blitz or even some sparatic 3-4 now.

That's exciting in my book.

Mr. Purple
09-12-2005, 10:11 PM
our defense this year=sick. nuff said! PURPLE PEOPLE EATERSSSSS 2

GreenBaySlackers
09-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Our D could kick some hardcore ass this year!

as long as we can either get lots of pressure on QBs, or if we can stop the running game, we should own most offenses. like cincy for example, not the greatest of Olines, if we cant stop their running game and keep pressure on palmer, some thing is up.

whackthepack
09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I mean it was good for shock value but common that was bad IMO. They figured it out and scored.

I love the fact that he actually had some people flying around. That makes a huge difference to me. I'd like to see some more variety. 3-3 is a bit extreeme for my tastes but I do not count out him randomly showing a zone blitz or even some sparatic 3-4 now.

I agree with you Del, if you want to run a 4-3 base and switch up a 3-4 and maybe even run the 3-3 once in awhile, OK.

But do not try and run a 3-3 as your base defense, and not expect people to figure it out.

I would even like them to run a 4-6 once in awhile just to mix it up!

Caine
09-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I think the Defense was excellent yesterday...all things considered. I was especially impressed by Sharper, who looks to have dedicated himself to returning to Pro Bowl form.

Again, it's only 1 game, but I saw a LOT of positives on the D side.

Caine

whackthepack
09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
1 thing I have not seen mentioned in any posts today was the play of LB Keith Newman, Keith was a stud out there yesterday and played the best game of his career.

Way to go Keith, and keep it up!!

Mr. Purple
09-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Hell ya your right whack, Newman played shall i say, Bad A$$ out there...keep it up baby

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 10:32 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

1 thing I have not seen mentioned in any posts today was the play of LB Keith Newman, Keith was a stud out there yesterday and played the best game of his career.

Newman was intense man, he brought it all. Johnstone was big too IMO. Fat Pat surprised me in a good way. He can't last the whole game but that boy can move.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Gruden made some comments that I didn't understand. He said that the Viking Coaches thought or said he should comeout in a 2 TE SET AND RUN ALL GAME. Maybe we actually thought they might and wanted to throw them off with the 3-3 so they wouldn't know who the blocking assignment would be.

The movement by the D b4 the snap was good.

I am happy for Cotrell. Finally, the guy can smile with some accomplishment. The old guy probably was close to a heart attack last year.

This is one game, there really aren't any measuring sticks yet. It is hard to get too high or low on D or O. I can see some glimpses of glory on D but one game is not proof. If we are playing this well after week 4 and we are consistant against the run and pass from game to game that is when we can start measuring.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 10:39 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Good point, the no name LBs are playing like they have something to prove. maybe they had their silver spoons removed from their mouth in the offseason and decided they would try to prove they could actually play the position.

DT, EJ, and Newman

VKG4LFE
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
It was good to see that our FA acquisitions made an impact. 88 INT return TD for Sharper, Pdub got a sack, Smoot with a great INT. Winfield is still really strong in run support. One question, who the he!! was the LB covering their TE on his first TD. #50 Rod Moore or something? Where were our normal guys during this play. I thought we brought in Napolean to cover TEs, where was he?

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

It was good to see that our FA acquisitions made an impact. 88 INT return TD for Sharper, Pdub got a sack, Smoot with a great INT. Winfield is still really strong in run support. One question, who the he!! was the LB covering their TE on his first TD. #50 Rod Moore or something? Where were our normal guys during this play. I thought we brought in Napolean to cover TEs, where was he?

That was rod davis, our backup MLB. Cowart just left the game with a stinger at that time. Sounds like davis is gonna start this week, because cowart may be out.

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree with most here.The defense will be excellent.I was waiting for screw-ups being the first game,and while I saw a few they where minor.Del Rio is right,they where out there far to long(Man I was getting tired watching them).Sharper,great coverage,great hits and hustle.Pat was hustling and You never hear Smoots name except for the pick.And thats a good thing.Also that 3-3 defense isn,t new.Its Freaking old.Stanford won the national title with it back in the late 40,s.

VKG4LFE
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Wonderful. Do you know if Harris was in on the play? I thought he had the ability to cover the TEs.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Newman was intense man, he brought it all. Johnstone was big too IMO. Fat Pat surprised me in a good way. He can't last the whole game but that boy can move.

Newman was used where he is best at yesterday and that is getting after the QB. If any of you guys watched the scrubs play in preseason this year, you would have saw Newman in at DE in a 4-3 in most of the games. I wondered about that, but now see it was more for his role in the 3-3 and not because he is gonna be playing a 4-3 DE.

I like Newman though, as far as getting after the QB in a 3-3 or 3-4.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 10:49 PM
No it's definatley not new to american football.

It is new to the Vikings and there is a reason you don't see it anymore. Because after the shock wears off the eat it up. At least in the NFL.

I like the move initially I think Cottrell was like look people I have some creativity in my head. I am kind of excited to see his schemes as the season goes on. 3-3 is crap though and that is why we got out of it, we should have gotten out sooner but just the fact he was trying new things was great imo.

VKG4LFE
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
The thing that I liked about the D is the fact that they were all swarming to the ball. I thought Sharper did a great job in run support (but I think if there are any halfback option passes someone will be wide open). I like the fact that Newman laid a lick on Williams in the back field down by the goal line!

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey how about the statue of liberty?Culpepper to Bennett lol.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Wonderful. Do you know if Harris was in on the play? I thought he had the ability to cover the TEs.

I'm pretty sure we had newman and EJ in at the time, but am not positive. Napo can cover TE's, but is better as a pass rushing LB, and that is what we used him at yesterday. He seemed to get in there quite a few times, but the QB always seem to role away from him or get the pas away before he got there.

We were rushing our strong side LB in our 3-3 at the time and using the MLB to cover the TE. Probably should have changed that, when our backup MLB came into the game.

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Well the 3-3 has shock value.But once or twice only.maybe we will see it again in week 11 or something.But I think they can put it away for awhile now.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

No it's definatley not new to american football.

It is new to the Vikings and there is a reason you don't see it anymore. Because after the shock wears off the eat it up. At least in the NFL.

I like the move initially I think Cottrell was like look people I have some creativity in my head. I am kind of excited to see his schemes as the season goes on. 3-3 is crap though and that is why we got out of it, we should have gotten out sooner but just the fact he was trying new things was great imo.

Do you remember seeing his D's in buffalo, when they had one of the best D's in the league under cottrell? That is mainly what kept my hope up for cottrell, when a lot of people were down on him. He just didn't use those looks and schemes for us last year or in buffalo. I guess he didn't because of personell, I don't know. But he vows that with the players we have, he is gonna be doing basically the same things as he did in buffalo. He showed some of it yesterday, but probably stayed in one a little too long.

Those buffalo D's were fun to watch back then man. Hopefully ours is just as fun.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I knew what he had done in the past. I lost a lot of respect for him from waivering from his style here. I think he could have made it work, instead I felt he put us in a position where we could not succeed.

That worries me this season because what if some of his personel go down with injuries does he go ultra conservative again?

He single handedly ruined the Jets defense well that was an exageration but when forced to run a constant 4-3 the guy is bad, and his zone is weak.

I really like the fact that he is mixing it up though. Coaches grow just like players. He knows he made mistakes last year I think he may be improving on his game plan.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
During the speed of the game, I didn't notice Cowart and Napo but they were up there in tackles and assists.

tackles-assists

Sharper 7-2
Chavous 4-5
Cowart 4-2
P-Will.. 4-0 plus one sack
Winfield 4-0
Harris 3-2
D.T....3-1
B-Will 3-1
Udeze 3-0
Brown3-0

Kliensasser 2-0

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Sharper was a demon,I loved that little Am I looking good in purple folks.Cracked me up and he backed it up.Cottrell shouldn,t have to mess around all that much,he knows pretty well our personel,most of our add-ons have played for him.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 11:05 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I knew what he had done in the past. I lost a lot of respect for him from waivering from his style here. I think he could have made it work, instead I felt he put us in a position where we could not succeed.

That worries me this season because what if some of his personel go down with injuries does he go ultra conservative again?

He single handedly ruined the Jets defense well that was an exageration but when forced to run a constant 4-3 the guy is bad, and his zone is weak.

I really like the fact that he is mixing it up though. Coaches grow just like players. He knows he made mistakes last year I think he may be improving on his game plan.

I heard the reason he left the Jets was because him and herm edwards didn't see eye to eye on how the D should be run. However, cottrell said that he was being forced by herm to run herm's style of D when he was in NY and didn't get to run his schemes. I don't know. The scheme we ran last season, sure looked like the jets D under cottrell, but the D we ran yesterday was more like the buffalo D's he ran.

Hopefully he stays aggressive. I think he will, even with an injury or 2, because we brought in so much talent and also have a lot of guys on our bench now, that were starters last year and got good experience last season. I think the big keys are pat williams, smoot and winfield, as far as staying healthy and allowing cottrell to mix things up.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Kliensasser 2-0

I didn't even notice the Sass in there on D yesterday. :lol:

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I am buying into Fat Pat, I think he will get more endurance as the season goes on. I really respect his speed I was impressed. His sack? Meh... I could have made that one, he was practically not blocked. I watched him chase down runners twice that ran outside of the ends I was very much in awe of that.

I read he was fired from Ny (Cottrell) but your story could still be true. Herm seems like a demanding guy.

I noticed the stats too. They had a solid game. To me when you see the assisted tackles that screams great teamwork to me. I guess they just fly below the radar. Leaders come in all styles.

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
new guys sharper-A Williams-B+ Smoot-A Harris-D Colwart-C

vikings6490
I thought our defense was great. Our run defense was awsome except for one play. Sharper was great. And neither Winfield or Smoot got beat. I was also very impresed with Newman. I still think we're in for a great year.

snowinapril
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Kliensasser 2-0

I didn't even notice the Sass in there on D yesterday. :lol:

Crazy Huh!!, part of the LB by committee that Tice is going to make Cottrell use in the upcoming games. Tice thought he could play LB. :lol: JK.... LOL

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Me too Del,the big man can motor.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I am buying into Fat Pat, I think he will get more endurance as the season goes on. I really respect his speed I was impressed. His sack? Meh... I could have made that one, he was practically not blocked. I watched him chase down runners twice that ran outside of the ends I was very much in awe of that.

I read he was fired from Ny (Cottrell) but your story could still be true. Herm seems like a demanding guy.

I noticed the stats too. They had a solid game. To me when you see the assisted tackles that screams great teamwork to me. I guess they just fly below the radar. Leaders come in all styles.

Yeah, cottrell was fired by NY, but he still stated it was because he(Cottrell) kept arguing and trying to run the schemes he wanted to, but Herm wouldn't let him. I'm not saying it is true, just what cottrell said in an interview. That still wouldn't explain why we were so vanilla last season.

The guy has got it in him, as far as the schemes to have a good D. That has been my main point over the offseason. Hopefully he uses(but doesn't overuse) all his tricks.

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Agreed 4 Smoot,the more comfortable he and the players get working together,the more aggresive he can get.One thing I didn,t understand is that he was using some pretty exotic schemes like the 3-3 but still at the same time we didn,t use alot of stunts and twist.Kinda strange.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

new guys sharper-A Williams-B+ Smoot-A Harris-D Colwart-C

D and a C, that is too low. They were up there involved in tackles, more than likely they were doing what they were asked or they would be yanked. Cowart could have done more in stats if he wasn't injured late in the game.

I don't want to have you as my professor if you are going to grade like that. They did better than C.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 11:18 PM
My main point of distain with the arguments this offseason regarding Cottrell was he hadn't shown me anything. The play of our D last year I still rest on him, personally.

When we argued 3-4 a few months back I was under the impression he was going to try and do it all game. I think switching it up works great. A few months back I said I would get off his ass. He's a coach in the NFL he has success and failures in the past.

I got the impression he gave up on our players and basically said they weren't good enough I can't respect that. But I was assuming more then knowing.

If he keeps up the creativity I will be eating major crow.

Swamination
09-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Our defense did great for what they had to work with. What they got to work with was being on the field over and over again. Those #'s large because they got tired. Wasn't because of bad conditioning, but they were worked like dogs.

I said this once, and I'll say it again - we loss because of our offensive line. I don't want to get to much into it, because its really self-explanitory. Thats what Tice is going to focus on, that and if Daunte can throw still.

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Well part of my grade for Harris is that in his own words he is gonna be an impact player,I just didn,t see that.the term workmanlike or journyman comes into my mind.newman played like harris wants to..

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
By the way,was it me or did Sharper look bigger and meaner in purple?

finnishvikingsfan
09-12-2005, 11:24 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

By the way,was it me or did Sharper look bigger and meaner in purple?
He looks like he has something to prove.

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2005, 11:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

My main point of distain with the arguments this offseason regarding Cottrell was he hadn't shown me anything. The play of our D last year I still rest on him, personally.

When we argued 3-4 a few months back I was under the impression he was going to try and do it all game. I think switching it up works great. A few months back I said I would get off his jiggly butt. He's a coach in the NFL he has success and failures in the past.

I got the impression he gave up on our players and basically said they weren't good enough I can't respect that. But I was assuming more then knowing.

Yeah, a lot of people knew he ran a 3-4 in buffalo, when they had a good D, but if you didn't see those D's play, you wouldn't realize that 3-4 is only what they started the game in usually. In buffalo he ran 4-3, 3-4, 3-3, 5-2, and so on and so on. The 3-4 was just a small part of those buffalo D's.

So far, and it is just so far, he looks like he is gonna be a crazy man again and mix things up. One thing I do want to see though, is for him to do it against some of the better offenses in the league. Will he be afraid and play a more conservative scheme, when we play a dangerous and explosive offense? That is what i want to see.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

When we argued 3-4 a few months back I was under the impression he was going to try and do it all game. I think switching it up works great. A few months back I said I would get off his jiggly butt. He's a coach in the NFL he has success and failures in the past.

Maybe he just wanted more player to move in and out on different scemes to mix it up, making it harder for people to single out who our weaker links are. If it works, crow cereal, crow burritos, crow caserole, crow-dogs, fried crow, bbq crow............................

ThaSuperFreak33
09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I am not too disappointed with the D. They looked much more improved and you can tell we have some good players in our newcomers that will make plays. I am very dissappointed with the Offense Line. they looked horrible and we are really going to miss Birk.

PurplePackerEater
09-13-2005, 12:39 AM
The D looks to be fine, heck, I was happy to see the D on the field by the third quarter, I figured the D has a better chance of scoring.

Mr. Purple
09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
lol anyone else get more excited to see the D take the field rather then the O during the game....ugggggh i love it!

FuadFan
09-13-2005, 12:52 AM
It helps that Cotrell is just focused on being the defensive coordinator last year he was trying to coach the linebackers on top of his other duties. I think we do have to keep Winfield and Smoot healthy though because I do not trust either Brown or Williams vs #1 or 2 WRs that our opponents put on the field.