PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thoughts/Observations

ultravikingfan
09-11-2005, 10:09 PM
**sigh**

Please post your post game thoughts please.

O-Line...cripes!
Penalties
Slippery hands.

Oh well, we will just have to go 15-1! :wink:

C-PepNSalt
09-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Wiggins touch down called back, not once...but twice?
some sloppy play calling
We had a chance to win it, but a terrible throw.

finnishvikingsfan
09-11-2005, 10:11 PM
The defense played well but ran out of gas at the end. And Special Teamers played pretty good as well.

OaklandVike
09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
this is NOT a superbowl contender!

vikings_fan66
09-11-2005, 10:14 PM
We need to sign Dixon for that oline ...... he would provide some great leadership to.

bigjsvikesfan
tough game, special teams looked better (punting and kicking)!!! Turnovers and penalties killed the vikes. Plenty of time to turn things around. Most people i would say expected us to start slow. Go vikes!!!!

snowinapril
TURNOVERS KILL

You can't score if you turn the ball over.

Besides, the D has to spend all that time on the field when the O should be out there marching it in the end zone.

Ltrey33
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Negatives:
O-line was bad.
Penalties (phantom in some cases) killed us.
C-Pep looked terrible.
Run game was terrible. (both could be results of #1)
Tice/O-Coordinator still suck at play calling

Postives:
Kicker
Punter
Defense did very well, especially considering the TO situation and the positions we put them in.
Howry didn't suck.

Caine
09-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Turnovers. The killer of all things positive. Daunte threw 3 away, and gave 2 away. You CANNOT do taht and expect to win.

On the bright side, our "D" kept us alive...which was nice to see, but that isn't what I'm here to talk about now.

A lot of people have made the comment that the Vikings are a better team with the loss of Moss...Offensively, I don't think so. Our Line gave Daunte little time early. Our running game was pathetic. Our passing game was out of synch.

The best player offensively was Wiggins (Who was absolutely ROBBED on that first TD). Kleinsasser had a decent game - except for that heart stopping fumble. Moe, who NEVER fumbles, coughed one up, then saved one. The receivers had a few nice catches here and there, but they apparantly aren't getting open.

But it all comes back to Daunte.

Today, let's face it, he stank. You absolutely CANNOT shoot yourself in the foot repeatedly and expect to win. Now, there will be some who will try and divert the blame away, but the bottom line is that if we are to be successful in this league, turnovers need to be minimized. Daunte didn't control the ball well today...and we lost as a result.

Caine

jellovike
I pretty much speechless. Tice and the Vikes need to work on the turnovers or else this will be a long season.

Euphman06
I'm happy with the D, two INT's a sack, some good stops on third down. I'm pretty happy with them.. our o-line needs drastic changes soon, or pep is gonna have a long season with bad stats

mnvikes61
our o-line simply put got dominated every step of the game. we couldn't run the ball to save our lives, pepper needed to make decisions quicker, we should have tried to play williamson more on the longer pass to soften them up a little bit. i believe he was in the game when we were throwing the ball short, like we were at the end of the game. our defense played well, but you can't leave them out there almost an entire quarter with no rest and expect them to stop them. sharper definately showed up, smoot got an int. i'm impressed with our new punter, seemed like he has a good leg, edinger knocked in another long field goal. that's pretty mcuh all i need to say

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
"OaklandVike" wrote:

this is NOT a superbowl contender!

No offense but DUH!

Correct you are if we continue to play like this.

Plenty of times to turn it around.

If it wasn't for the Turnovers and One penalty and the Phantoom penalty, it would be a different game. That is the difference a week will make.

VikingsChokeJobComingSoon
This is what you guys say after every loss. "They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves." It's like you think that makes it better. YOU LOST.

GreenBaySlackers
"CulpepernSalt" wrote:

Wiggins touch down called back, not once...but twice?
some sloppy play calling
We had a chance to win it, but a terrible throw.

and once by a penelty that didnt happen. :angry5:

PurplePeopleEaters
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Positives:

1. Punting
2. Kicking
3. Newman
4. Sharper

Negatives:

1. Culpepper
2. TURNOVERS TURNOVERS TURNOVERS
3. Burleson
4. Loney
5. O-LINE
6. Run Game

To cure all of these problems I say we get big David Dixon back, start Mewelde, FUCKING YELL AT CULPEPPER, and fire loney.

GreenBaySlackers
09-11-2005, 10:20 PM
to be at least a little optomistic, next week, none of the same problems will occur... cinccinnati is the polar opposite of TB

V4L
D-sharp looked good as I said he would.. Everyone said he sucks and is over the hill and won't be able to tackle.. He definitley proved that wrong..

Our O-line got better when Goldberg came in.. Hopefully we can give Pep more then 2 seconds!

Our gameplan is so predictable.. We run on 1st up the middle.. And then pass the rest.. I could make a D gameplan to stop that..

MB broke some tackles.. I think he should start.. He ever took a pop and didn't let it phase him or even fall down right away..

DaunteHOF
heard our o line looked bad and Daunte made some mistakes. Defense did all it could do, we need to go back to the drawing board, we're talking superbowl and can't focus on this game. Might be a wakeup call...

akvikefan89
First of all, remember, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins last year. A good team can have a bad game. Which is exactly what happened.

Thoughts:

Need to bring back big Dave. The game was lost by bad Culpepper decisions and the O-Line not doing squat.

Defense looks amazing, Smoot needs to get to 100% health.

I liked our new punter alot and Edinger was awesome.

Culpepper was trying WAY too hard, he needs to relax and play like a leader.

NO TEAM WILL WIN A GAME WITH 5 TURNOVERS.

Most important thing is O-Line right now, we will win alot of games if we can fix it up.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:21 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Negatives:
O-line was bad.
C-Pep looked terrible.

Postives:
Kicker
Punter
Defense did very well, especially considering the TO situation and the positions we put them in.
Howry didn't suck.

Man it feels good to have the Kicker that can kick a 53 yd FG.

With the D we have, and the Kicker and the Punter, we will be alright in the close games this year.

Don't give up on us yet. I am not promising the flashy offense of past but when we get on track we will score points.

michaelmazid
I put it all on daunte. we still had a chance to win the game and he passed the ball to moe where it was intercepted. If you look at the reply, daunte had a lot of room in front of him to run the ball. he should have ran the ball for about 5 yards and the bucs would have used another timeout and it would have been second and goal. The blame of this game should be placed on daunte.

PurplePeopleEaters
"VikingsChokeJobComingSoon" wrote:

This is what you guys say after every loss. "They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves." It's like you think that makes it better. YOU LOST.

You obviously don't understand our situation. You are an anti vikings fan trying to stir things up. Look at the game. Daunte thre 3 INT's and had 2 fumbles. That would be beating ourselves dumbass.

TheAnimal93
The Oline stunk it up as well as Daunte. I was yelling on the next to last INT(oh how I hate saying that)RUN Daunte, RUN RUN RUN. What does he do? Another beautiful INT!!!
:roll:
He was not ready to play it looked like to me.
THe refs need to be poked with tar-laden sticks in the eyes.
Bennett had one good run and the OLINE STUNK IT UP BAD!!!
PEEEEE-UUUUUUUUU!!!
Did I mention that the OLINE stunk the place up like limburger cheese?????

And one last thing..............
O-Line YOU STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kleinsasser40
Damnit Daunte.....Damnit! Could anything more have gone wrong? Daunte NEEDS to calm down! Oh yeah, and the refs need to get some glasses. That first Wiggins TD was clean!

Our D did play well...the only problem with the game is that we gave their offense too many tries to score. They need to work on their turnovers, if they can just play solid offense, nothing huge, but solid, then we will have a playoff team. Our run defense looked a lot better the first 3 quarters of the game, but our pass defense needs to improve, we did get lucky with a LOT of dropped passes. They need to STOP sending Bennett up the middle, everyone knows that he goes down easily (except on the one play where he broke like 5 tackles).

I still believe this is our year. All you Packer-Backers out there, just remember how your season started last season. Our division is weak this year, just one loss does not mean a thing.

Anyway, we have the bengals next week, should be a lot more fun for us Vikings fans to watch!

outcast316
09-11-2005, 10:22 PM
its only one game I think we will be ok. Things did not look so good today but I really think we will be ok.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

I put it all on daunte. we still had a chance to win the game and he passed the ball to moe where it was intercepted. If you look at the reply, daunte had a lot of room in front of him to run the ball. he should have ran the ball for about 5 yards and the bucs would have used another timeout and it would have been second and goal. The blame of this game should be placed on daunte.

It isn't all his fault, but he does need to shoulder a lot of it for the TO, fumbles and INTs, TOO MANY.

Kleinsasser40
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
"TheAnimal93" wrote:

The Oline stunk it up as well as Daunte. I was yelling on the next to last INT(oh how I hate saying that)RUN Daunte, RUN RUN RUN. What does he do? Another beautiful INT!!!
:roll:
He was not ready to play it looked like to me.
THe refs need to be poked with tar-laden sticks in the eyes.
Bennett had one good run and the OLINE STUNK IT UP BAD!!!
PEEEEE-UUUUUUUUU!!!
Did I mention that the OLINE stunk the place up like limburger cheese?????

And one last thing..............
O-Line YOU STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last INT was not his fault, I put that one on Moe. The rest of them were all his fault though.

vikings_fan66
09-11-2005, 10:24 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Positives:

1. Punting
2. Kicking
3. Newman
4. Sharper

Negatives:

1. Culpepper
2. TURNOVERS TURNOVERS TURNOVERS
3. Burleson
4. Loney
5. O-LINE
6. Run Game

To cure all of these problems I say we get big David Dixon back, start Mewelde, fricken YELL AT CULPEPPER, and fire loney.

I agree that we need dixon back and Moore should be starting. Culpepper will work through it, he just seemed uncomfortable he was the complete oppisite of what he was in the preseason and last year. Iam also not a fan of Loney I beleive that he should be up in the booth you cant have him doubling his duties as oline coach as well. It is to much to focus on in one game for one person.

speedy
On that td by Williams, did anyone notice the center was all the way over the line before the ball was snapped? It wouldn't have made any difference because we were determined to lose.

vikings_fan66
"speedy" wrote:

On that td by Williams, did anyone notice the center was all the way over the line before the ball was snapped? It wouldn't have made any difference because we were determined to lose.

I noticed that to actually.

Del Rio
09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
I was more impressed with Pat Williams then I expected. But again he was non exsistant in the second half I guess he may get better as the season goes.

Nap Harris? Sam Cowart? Hello? You there?

Newman? EJ? Johnstone? Old timers brought their A game.

I will eat some crow with Sharper. I am sold on him he was laying the hits so.

Smoot? Nice durability. A gimme INT but a nice grab none the less.

Ralph Brown you suck. Good tackle one time.

Culpepper Hall of Fame last week? Really? Yeah................reality check. Tark10 it's sad but it's validation.

Run game? None.

Tice trying to reverse a call that can't be? Not surprising.

I will say this I would rather lose at the begining then the end. I am tired of going 5-0 and screwing the pooch the end of the season. So if losing this close game at home helps in the long run then I'm all for it.

I started Culpepper on my fantasy team LOL :grin:

The team will get better.

Hovan played a very good game, he was solid. He didn't get a sack though so I lost my bet.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Hopefully Koren can come in and help.. Like I said we won't really have a run game and we need as many weapons we can get now..

DemonicViking
09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Still 15 more games left to play. I didn't see the game but it sounds like there were too many setbacks to overcome and prevail in the end. We didn't win unfornately, but let's not panic just yet.

Mr Anderson
09-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I blame this entire loss, completely on the referees, Marcus Johnson, and Daunte Culpepper.

Marcus Johnson and Culpepper played like absolute shit the first half.

Johnson could not handle the pass rush at all, when we put Goldberg in things started rolling, we now know who to start.

Culpepper, I don't know. That was easily his worst game ever. 5 TURNOVERS, WHAT THE FUCK!?

And the refs, the mother fucking refs. Just let the men play the game. You don't need to flag every single tiny thing, Especially when nothing actually happened.

Wiggins had an awesome game. Not that he'll have anything to prove it. But he played great and atleast everyone who watched the game will remember.

God damnit, if we have another sloppy game like this.... I want Tice gone by week 3. Get Jim Fassel in here.

snowinapril
"Kleinsasser40" wrote:

Damnit Daunte.....Damnit! Could anything more have gone wrong? Daunte NEEDS to calm down! Oh yeah, and the refs need to get some glasses. That first Wiggins TD was clean!

True, DC needs to calm down adn he will bounce back.

That TD that was called back is huge. It would have boosted our confidence and it might have made the Bucs panic a bit more. It would have changed our outlook on the game from the way it was coached also.

sdvikefan
Clearly a bad game for Daunte, but today was an exception for him rather than the norm. He will rebound and this offense will click just fine. Better play is definately needed by the o-line though especially in the running game.

Defense and special teams, for a change, were very good.

finnishvikingsfan
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Tampa bay is a good team. They captialized on our mistakes. Hovan played hard. You excpect a defense to stop some of the drives that started on the vikings side of the field.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Anything think the Koren pick up could help us now? It looks like we might need more weapons!

RK.
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game. no running game.

Also, while I am at it. Didn't Tice say he was going to have a lot more to do with the offense this year???????????? Need I say more. Why did it take so long to bring in Goldberg?? Where was Moore when it was clear that Bennett sucked??

Again the stats say it all

Yrds Rushing
Williams 15
Culpepper 12
Bennett -1

kramer9guy
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Wow...what a heartbreaker... :cry:

But...

The special teams looked good for once (Kluwe has a monster leg).

The D had flashes of brilliance and sadly, some moments reminiscent of their porous ol' ways.

Daunte looked rattled the whole damn game. He never got into a true groove. WTF?

The refs sucked it big-time.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:31 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Hopefully Koren can come in and help.. Like I said we won't really have a run game and we need as many weapons we can get now..

The things that went wrong won't be fixed by Koren.

O-Line on Run and Pass
Running Game
DC decision making

Thank god we are not talking about the CRAPPY DEFENSE like last year. This was clearly an Offensive problem game.

Del Rio
I wanted to see some more Troy Williamson he did get a holding called on a DB that's all i saw of him.

mnvikes61
i still say we need better o-lineman more than another WR vikez. even if we had Moss or any other great WR, we need time to throw the ball, which pep didn't have much of, most of the game.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I think he will help alot.. Goldberg came in and gave him some time.. Koren will get open and catch us some balls

ItalianStallion
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey remember when Culpepper wanted to renegotiate his contract? Funny...

mnvikes61
09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
hope your right vikez, i'm just pretty down right now. i don't know what we were thinking about when we started MJ, i know he dominated but it was in preseason, completely different.

kramer9guy
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I'd rather start slow and end strong than have another mid-season slide. Like some others have said, I hope this is a wake-up call for the team.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I wanted to see some more Troy Williamson he did get a holding called on a DB that's all i saw of him.

I don't remember us trying to stretch the field once. We didn't have much confidence in the O Line apparently to call it.

Del Rio
09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I don't remember us trying to stretch the field once. We didn't have much confidence in the O Line apparently to call it.

You know snow, he had a pretty good pocket quite often, I'm not sure why. I think he was thinking too much.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Man that was like a shot in the jaw.. Having the bucs come in and have a rookie have a steller debut.. 2 rookies even!

Articnv
09-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Postives

The Defense did great consider all the turn over we had. They had soem very nice stops and can give the offense confidance they can hold a team when we get behind.

Specail teams. We can now make fgs longer then 30 yards and we got a punter that can punt farther then 30 yards.

Negtives

No running game. bennet was not effective

Pepper - bad game to many turn overs.

Refers- Pantom call sucked - pulled the widn out fo the offense

Play calling was horrible on offense

I rather have are weakness show nwo so they an be improved then midseason when there in runt thinkign this worked before.

All in all we shall do better next week.

DemonicViking
09-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I gather neither Bennett nor Moore were in the game, since every time the scores and stats were being highlighted, they had rushing stats for Williams, and Culpepper.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
"Articnv" wrote:

Postives

The Defense did great consider all the turn over we had. They had soem very nice stops and can give the offense confidance they can hold a team when we get behind.

Specail teams. We can now make fgs longer then 30 yards and we got a punter that can punt farther then 30 yards.

Negtives

No running game. bennet was not effective

Pepper - bad game to many turn overs.

Refers- Pantom call sucked - pulled the widn out fo the offense

Play calling was horrible on offense

I rather have are weakness show nwo so they an be improved then midseason when there in runt thinkign this worked before.

All in all we shall do better next week.

I agree with most of that except the Bennett thing.. Did he only have like 2 carries? He did well on that screen.. Broke like 5 tackles.. And got hit 1 time real hard and didn't get hurt at all.. He did the best personally out of our RB's I would say.. Although Moe did get more carries

snowinapril
"Del Rio" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

You know snow, he had a pretty good pocket quite often, I'm not sure why. I think he was thinking too much.

DC was like a half second off. Just thinking too much. There was one time when the pocket did collapse in the first half where it was closing in and I thought why aren't you running and boom he was down. He thought about running but it was a half second too late.

He had one good drive and that was the one that the second TD was called back on. They were playing more of a prevent I think at the time and he was hitting wide open WRs.

thepacksux
i think if everybody ignores every single post chokejob makes he will soon go away and j@ck off to farm animals again.

Del Rio
09-11-2005, 10:44 PM
You guys bagging on Mike Bennet crack me up.

He ran the ball 6 times LOL.

One of his runs on a screen pass kept us in the game when he broke 3 tackles.

We ran the ball a total of like 15 times. Are you kidding me?? If you blame this poor run game on a player you are way off base.

V4L
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

We ran the ball a total of like 15 times. Are you kidding me?? If you blame this poor run game on a player you are way off base.

I totally agree Del.. It was not getting enough carries for one guy.. Bad play calling.. Just running on 1st down.. I think Bennett will start.. He has the speed and can apparently break tackles! He took a shot too and didn't phase him :lol:

RK.
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I think that when you are on the 3 yrd line with 3rd and goal and you are in the shot gun formation that says it all about your running game. I mean if you aren't even going to fake like you might run it. geeeeze.

Mr. Purple
09-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow im in one of those us vs Giants and we beat ourselfs moods right now, only with the bucs. Idk what to write I'm bummed.

VikinginaCamaro
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Cpep got 5 turn overs in this game but I don't think he will even come close to how meny Brett will get at the end of the season.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

It was poor all the way around, not just one player. The normally dependable Moe, fumbled and we luckily wrestled it back at the bottom of the pile and he also let the ball slide off of his hands and into Kelly's hands for the INT on the drive that would have put us ahead.

You can't blame it on one back. It was a team effort including the coaches. I really don't think that Moe is the every down back. And what about Tice's decision to use Moore for KR and not as a RB.

vking
09-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Wonder how quick MB could make the corner? May never know if they don't run him outside once. Our play calling is a joke . I'd even take Linnehan back now.

Swamination
09-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Get prepared for my rant:

There was only 1 reason why we loss this game, try to guess after my post :lol:

First critical point was that we were not able to run the ball. It wasnt because of the running backs, it was because of the guys who where suppose to block for them. Who was suppose to block for them: The Offensive Line.

Well, now that we cannot run the ball on offense, what are you suppose to do now. Throw it. Exactly what we tried to do. The problem though was that our quarterback had no time what-so-ever to look down the field for a Wide Receiver because he was under pressure. Was it Daunte fault that he couldn't run sideline to sideline so he can get some time. No. Guess whos fault was it: The Offensive Line.

The Defense looked very impressive in the beginning of the game. They kept shutting down the opposing team. Then suddenly the defense began to wear down. Why? Because they were in the game WAY too long. This is because the offense couldn't do much. So who was the Defences demise: The Offensive Line.

Special teams looked SO DAMN good. Did you see our punter? The guy could punt. Damn, did he punt it alot. You know why he was punting so many time : The Offensive Line.

So everyone, please stop crying "Oh,The Defense is mediocre", "Oh we need Moss", "Oh Daunte can suck a piece of my anotomy". Get the facts right. The reason was none of those. It was the Offensive Line. Simple cause and effect people. Look at it.

But then again, that just my two cents

vikesfan353
09-11-2005, 10:58 PM
We lost that sucks we need :
1 The o line to step up
2 Culpepper to quit turning the ball over
3 The d needs to tighten up (lots of open drops)
4 Culpepper needs to learn to RUN
5 TO STAY POSITIVE

NeoVikesTX
09-11-2005, 11:00 PM
How is this the RB's fault? The offensive line played terrible and there were defenders in the backfield before they even got the ball. Daunte had very little time to throw the ball most of the time, and usually got hit right after he threw it.

Positives: the defense looked solid and the special teams looked good. Our D actually kept us in a game and gave us the opportunity to win the game in the closing minutes.

Negatives: the offensive line played horrible! Too many turnovers and mistakes. Daunte did not look comfortable in the pocket, there were many times he should have just took off and ran. Steve Loney needs to get his crap together or pack his bags. 2 FG's against an average Bucs team at the Dome is unacceptable.

All in all, the team, especially the offense, did not look ready to play today. I place the blame directly on the coaching staff. If they don't get this fixed soon, Ted Cottrell will be the only coach left next season.

Del Rio
09-11-2005, 11:02 PM
"Swamination" wrote:

First critical point was that we were not able to run the ball. It wasnt because of the running backs, it was because of the guys who where suppose to block for them. Who was suppose to block for them: The Offensive Line.

Well, now that we cannot run the ball on offense, what are you suppose to do now. Throw it. Exactly what we tried to do. The problem though was that our quarterback had no time what-so-ever to look down the field for a Wide Receiver because he was under pressure. Was it Daunte fault that he couldn't run sideline to sideline so he can get some time. No. Guess whos fault was it: The Offensive Line.

The Defense looked very impressive in the beginning of the game. They kept shutting down the opposing team. Then suddenly the defense began to wear down. Why? Because they were in the game WAY too long. This is because the offense couldn't do much. So who was the Defences demise: The Offensive Line.

Special teams looked SO gol 'darnit good. Did you see our punter? The guy could punt. gol 'darnit, did he punt it alot. You know why he was punting so many time : The Offensive Line.

So everyone, please stop crying "Oh,The Defense is mediocre", "Oh we need Moss", "Oh Daunte can suck a piece of my anotomy". Get the facts right. The reason was none of those. It was the Offensive Line. Simple cause and effect people. Look at it.

I'm not buying that. He had a pocket quite often. He has had two great years being under just as much pressure. Culpepper was not himself. He was slow to scramble, slow to run, and his passing was off.

The lineplay needs improving but he had plenty of chances.

LuckyVike
09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
"Swamination" wrote:

Special teams looked SO gol 'darnit good. Did you see our punter? The guy could punt. gol 'darnit, did he punt it alot. You know why he was punting so many time : The Offensive Line.

I agree with you... the O-Line was a major factor in our loss. But, with him being a seasoned pro-bowler, Daunte must make better decisions than what he did today. Three int's just won't get us anywhere, yes he was rushed but still you can't just chuck and pray. The two fumbles didn't help much either.

V4L
09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
We all need to quit pointing fingers! All around our team played crappy I think.. O-line wasn't good.. Wr's wouldn't get open.. Pep looked shaky.. D looked alright but could improve alot.. Coaches suck.. All around it was a bad day and our TEAM didn't play good

LuckyVike
09-11-2005, 11:07 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

We all need to quit pointing fingers! All around our team played crappy I think.. O-line wasn't good.. Wr's wouldn't get open.. Pep looked shaky.. D looked alright but could improve alot.. Coaches suck.. All around it was a bad day and our TEAM didn't play good

I myself thought the D was all we could've hoped for. They made the plays and gave the offense the oppertunities but the O just couldn't do anything. The D needed some rest but the O never gave it to them and it showed in the end. Oh well, we'll get 'em next time.

MinnesotaFury
09-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, lets just put it this way...

Culpepper scored me -6 Fantasy Points...

V4L
09-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Yah I know Vikes2611.. But there was some stuff we could improve on.. We didn't get any pressure at all.. Our man to man was horrible.. But it did end some drives and keep points off the board for the most part

Swamination
09-11-2005, 11:11 PM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

I agree with you... the O-Line was a major factor in our loss. But, with him being a seasoned pro-bowler, Daunte must make better decisions than what he did today. Three int's just won't get us anywhere, yes he was rushed but still you can't just chuck and pray. The two fumbles didn't help much either.

Yes,i agree with you on the fact that he should make better decisions. But can you truly blame him? He was just trying to get something going while chaos was all around him. Your demeandor too would be shaky if you had sweaty 300 pounders chasing you. I must admit though, that one fumble pass thingy was really terrible.

arialassault84
09-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Pepp played just about as bad as any QB could have. We didn't even try to run the ball, M. Moore didn't get a carry, Williamson didn't get the ball, Loney sucks A$$, and Corey Chavous is worthless!

TheAnimal93
09-11-2005, 11:14 PM
And the last two INT's were not pretty as well.

Swamination
09-11-2005, 11:16 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I'm not buying that. He had a pocket quite often. He has had two great years being under just as much pressure. Culpepper was not himself. He was slow to scramble, slow to run, and his passing was off.

The lineplay needs improving but he had plenty of chances.

In my point of view he was in chaos more than having a pocket. With that, we cannot expect him to be defending for himself the WHOLE game. Like I said, he would be running side line to side line. But yeah, I'm under the impression that he was under pressure more than not.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 11:17 PM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I myself thought the D was all we could've hoped for. They made the plays and gave the offense the oppertunities but the O just couldn't do anything. The D needed some rest but the O never gave it to them and it showed in the end. Oh well, we'll get 'em next time.

There were a couple of plays the D got by on with some dropped balls, Clayton had two that would have resulted in first downs.

The D played well but there is still some room for improvements. They were definitely the bright spot. For once when we were about ready to score b4 the INT, I had confidence that we could afford to score even without running the clock down because our D was trustworthy.

RandyMoss8404
09-11-2005, 11:17 PM
The good news:

I just saved a bunch of money on my Fantasy Football insurance by switching to Cadillac.

Swamination
09-11-2005, 11:23 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

The good news:

I just saved a bunch of money on my Fantasy Football insurance by switching to Cadillac.

lmao.

LuckyVike
09-11-2005, 11:26 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

There were a couple of plays the D got by on with some dropped balls, Clayton had two that would have resulted in first downs.

The D played well but there is still some room for improvements. They were definitely the bright spot. For once when we were about ready to score b4 the INT, I had confidence that we could afford to score even without running the clock down because our D was trustworthy.

I felt the same way dude! I actually felt that our D could get a stop for us.

Ltrey33
09-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Observation: We called a terrible game and had too many penalties/mental mistakes.

Thought: Tice should be fired.

DaScRuM
09-11-2005, 11:41 PM
I believe I saw a stat that showed the defense was on the field twice as long as the Bucs---in the first half. Not good. I thought the defense was darn right good---except for a couple of mistakes. They gave the offense, as bad as they played, a chance to win this game. Sure, the defense had a few mistakes, but overall, I thought they played some "tough" football. The one question I have about the defensive game is why wasn't Smoot in on some of the coverages? I am wondering if they aren't comfortable with his knee, yet?

Gonna be a tough one next week. Defense will face a tougher test against Cincy.

snowinapril
09-11-2005, 11:49 PM
"DaScRuM" wrote:

I believe I saw a stat that showed the defense was on the field twice as long as the Bucs---in the first half. Not good. I thought the defense was darn right good---except for a couple of mistakes. They gave the offense, as bad as they played, a chance to win this game. Sure, the defense had a few mistakes, but overall, I thought they played some "tough" football. The one question I have about the defensive game is why wasn't Smoot in on some of the coverages? I am wondering if they aren't comfortable with his knee, yet?

Gonna be a tough one next week. Defense will face a tougher test against Cincy.

Swarming defense!

Side to side we have speed and a lot of people on the ball to help lay the wood.

Caine
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I agree that the O-Line played poorly. I believe that to be the largest single reason why our running game was ineffective.

But our passing game was ineffective as well. Daunte had time...just either didn't have targets or didn't find them (Except Wiggins who was solid as a rock).

But, when it comes back to ball control, Daunte had a really bad game. You CANNOT turn the ball over FIVE TIMES in a game.

Fortunately, I believe that this will be the "Wake up call" that our "O" needs. Our "D" kept us alive...something we haven't seen for a LOOOONG time. Now the Offense needs to step up - and I believe that they will.

Caine

PS: VikingsChickenChoker is a tard.

mnjamie
09-11-2005, 11:57 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Negatives:
O-line was bad.
C-Pep looked terrible.

Postives:
Kicker
Punter
Howry didn't suck.

Agree across the board ... except for "Howry did suck". Unless you say he didn't suck cause he didnt fumble, then I will agree.

Unbelieveable play calling Tice and Looooooney, unbelieveable. But also heard that CPep was checking out of alot of the plays they were calling also. Just horrible across the board on offense.

southern_yankee
09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
This game proves the point of an article I read earlier this preseason. The article basically said that how well Daunte does depends on the back-up quarterback in his ear. Johnson never impressed me as calm and rational under duress as a player, so I'm sure how much of a calming influence he'd have on Pep. I'm not blaming Johnson for Daunte's incompetence, but I'm saying it should've been predicted. They need to find a smart back-up (more like Ferotte)...not to replace Daunte, but to chill him out.

Yeah, Tice is a maroon (am I losing my mind or does the word 'moron' come out as 'silly guy'? Just in case, I've misspelled it). I won't mention the "M" word, the blog on the home page warned me...rather forceably. I think the "M" word does add a dimension when we're struggling, but I believe we would've lost this one even with the "M" word.

Okay, if we fire Tice, is there another decent coach out there? I do not suggest we promote from within.

mnjamie
09-12-2005, 12:15 AM
"southern_yankee" wrote:

This game proves the point of an article I read earlier this preseason. The article basically said that how well Daunte does depends on the back-up quarterback in his ear. Johnson never impressed me as calm and rational under duress as a player, so I'm sure how much of a calming influence he'd have on Pep. I'm not blaming Johnson for Daunte's incompetence, but I'm saying it should've been predicted. They need to find a smart back-up (more like Ferotte)...not to replace Daunte, but to chill him out.

Yeah, Tice is a maroon (am I losing my mind or does the word 'silly guy' come out as 'silly guy'? Just in case, I've misspelled it). I won't mention the "M" word, the blog on the home page warned me...rather forceably. I think the "M" word does add a dimension when we're struggling, but I believe we would've lost this one even with the "M" word.

Okay, if we fire Tice, is there another decent coach out there? I do not suggest we promote from within.

If Tice does "Dissapear", look out for Jim Fassel. Wiggi loves the guy.

southern_yankee
09-12-2005, 12:22 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"southern_yankee" wrote:

Yeah, Tice is a maroon (am I losing my mind or does the word 'silly guy' come out as 'silly guy'? Just in case, I've misspelled it). I won't mention the "M" word, the blog on the home page warned me...rather forceably. I think the "M" word does add a dimension when we're struggling, but I believe we would've lost this one even with the "M" word.

If Tice does "Dissapear", look out for Jim Fassel. Wiggi loves the guy.

This "Disappear"-thingie...is there a fund I can donate to? I saw a number during the games, was it 1-800-TICE-BYE?

RandyMoss8404
09-12-2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.randymossonline.com/10-29-00eighth_td.jpg

vikes09
09-12-2005, 12:49 AM
"arialassault84" wrote:

Pepp played just about as bad as any QB could have. We didn't even try to run the ball, M. Moore didn't get a carry, Williamson didn't get the ball, Loney sucks A$$, and Corey Chavous is worthless!

why would you say that? he had a good game actually. our secondary wasnt a concern, neither our linebackers, it was our dline to get pressure.

ultravikingfan
09-12-2005, 12:50 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

"arialassault84" wrote:

why would you say that? he had a good game actually. our secondary wasnt a concern, neither our linebackers, it was our dline to get pressure.

I don't see how Chavous is the defender that gets singled out here today?

mnvikes61
09-12-2005, 01:17 AM
the only players that i saw get really burned was Ralph Brown and Brian Williams. Williams just wasn't watching the ball at all, and Ralph Brown let his play get to the ouside, when he had help on the inside. other than that. i thought we played pretty solid on defense, our LBs had a little trouble with TEs. but for our first regular season game i was pretty impressed that we gelled that quickly. even when a player missed a tackled, there were three right behind him to tackle him. plus i didn't see many miss tackles, and sharper was really laying the wood down, i didn't see chavous in on my plays but that doesn't mean that he did anything bad, that might mean that his coverage was excellent and they didn't want to throw his way.

ADubya26
09-12-2005, 01:30 AM
"Swamination" wrote:

I do agree with your post to some extent, but Culpepper would have been better off just taking a sack than fumbling and throwing picks. These mistakes come from being pressured, yes, but a lot of responsibility has to be placed on Culpepper himself. Yes, a lot of it WAS his fault...along with the offensive line. One was not worse than the other.

mnvikes61
09-12-2005, 01:32 AM
yah espically with the way our D and STs were playing. it would have been better to take the sack and kick it and than give the bucs a shortfield. culpepper and o-line definately have to shoulder most of the blame on why we lsot our game.

UTVikfan
09-12-2005, 03:00 AM
Del Rio, I would hate to see a game that Dante doesn't have time and a pocket most of the game. I getta watch it again, but, all I was thinking the whole game was "Wow, its like we don't even have an o-line".
I am sad that CPep had a bad, make that really bad day. But it happens. I think he woulda had a bad day, even if the line play was twice as good. Personally I think he was too wound up.
The D? WOW! Take away that 71 yard run they let slip at the end, and Ralph Browns on the sideline and the D OWNED. Nowhere but up for them. Especially after being on the field 2/3 of the game, and being left with short fields by our O. I thought the 3 3 5 package or whatever it was, was a fun way to confuse the bucs o-line. Worked for a while too.

singersp
09-12-2005, 03:26 AM
"ADubya26" wrote:

I do agree with your post to some extent, but Culpepper would have been better off just taking a sack than fumbling and throwing picks. These mistakes come from being pressured, yes, but a lot of responsibility has to be placed on Culpepper himself. Yes, a lot of it WAS his fault...along with the offensive line. One was not worse than the other.Daunte had a bad day & needs to take some of the blame for it. The O-line was getting beat. Namely Mount McKinnie & Marcus Johnson.
Daunte's timing was off, his throws were off (yes, even when he did get some time), he missed seeing a lot of wide-open receivers that he normally picks up even when he's under pressure. The worst thing I saw of Dante was time-clock management, getting the line set & getting the plays off. We were lucky to be flagged with only 2 delays-of-game penalties. Swear to God man! I never seen so many finger nails being chewed off & hair being pulled out by the roots as the fans watched the time clock ticking down so very low. People in my section were acually screaming the clock countdown aloud in hopes Daunte might here it.
I don't know if the play clock in the south end of the field was working or not, but it was a bad scene.

fourdoorchevelle
09-12-2005, 03:53 AM
i think that first game gitters got to pep. he definately looked nervous . marcus johnson was getting killed on every pass play , after they replaced him the o-line looked better .

since the vikes had to play catch up that killed any chance at a runnig game . so it's hard to evaluate the running game .

the defence shut out the buc's in the second half , aside from the late long run , but other then that the defence really kept us in the game . shoot the defence was our game .

as for the offence , the early turn overs set the tone for the game . a simple 3 & out would have sufficed , but 3 staight turn overs are hard to over come . during the second half the offence looked much more composed , aside from the fact that every one in the game or watching it knew we were passing . hopefully it was just the gitters , because if this is the culpper to come , then the vikes could be in some searous trouble.

one superstitious thought is some media outlet had reported on culpepper 's past peformances . saying that every year culpper has had a great year that he has had a very capable back up Qb . the whole game hill was the one with the head set on! :shock:

mnvikes61
09-12-2005, 03:55 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

i think that first game gitters got to pep. he definately looked nervous . marcus johnson was getting killed on every pass play , after they replaced him the o-line looked better .

since the vikes had to play catch up that killed any chance at a runnig game . so it's hard to evaluate the running game .

the defence shut out the buc's in the second half , aside from the late long run , but other then that the defence really kept us in the game . shoot the defence was our game .

as for the offence , the early turn overs set the tone for the game . a simple 3 & out would have sufficed , but 3 staight turn overs are hard to over come . during the second half the offence looked much more composed , aside from the fact that every one in the game or watching it knew we were passing . hopefully it was just the gitters , because if this is the culpper to come , then the vikes could be in some searous trouble.

one superstitious thought is some media outlet had reported on culpepper 's past peformances . saying that every year culpper has had a great year that he has had a very capable back up Qb . the whole game hill was the one with the head set on! :shock:
what about Brad Johnson? where was he?

fourdoorchevelle
09-12-2005, 04:32 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

what about Brad Johnson? where was he?

i haven't heard anything about johnson , but periodically through out the game the camera would get a shot of hill with the head set on !!! i seen it atleast 3 times

MuzikQ
09-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Whos fault is it for todays stupid lose,I think its of course the coach's, becuase there the one who calls plays, now i am not leaving the players out, but for the most part it was the coachs. first the o-line coach should of put two offensive line man on simeon rice. that would put some pressure off daunte. I already miss scott linehan, did guys see how many points the Dolphins scored on Denver. yea 34, that could of been the vikes but were stuck with a less smarter offensive coordinator :cry:. last but not lease the defensive coach which for the most part coached pretty well. though he should of told to blitz more often.

MinnesotaFury
09-12-2005, 05:04 AM
sucking sucks

FuadFan
09-12-2005, 05:37 AM
They decided to give Shaun Hill some more responsibility this season so they were letting him call in the plays hopefully he either does it better or they give that job to someone who can handle it.

finnishvikingsfan
09-12-2005, 05:45 AM
I think Culpepper just want to prove all the people that said the vikings offense wont be the same. He just tried to hard and got himself and the vikings in trouble.

cajunvike
09-12-2005, 05:47 AM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

How is this the RB's fault? The offensive line played terrible and there were defenders in the backfield before they even got the ball. Daunte had very little time to throw the ball most of the time, and usually got hit right after he threw it.

Positives: the defense looked solid and the special teams looked good. Our D actually kept us in a game and gave us the opportunity to win the game in the closing minutes.

Negatives: the offensive line played horrible! Too many turnovers and mistakes. Daunte did not look comfortable in the pocket, there were many times he should have just took off and ran. Steve Loney needs to get his crap together or pack his bags. 2 FG's against an average Bucs team at the Dome is unacceptable.

All in all, the team, especially the offense, did not look ready to play today. I place the blame directly on the coaching staff. If they don't get this fixed soon, Ted Cottrell will be the only coach left next season.

Dead on, dude! I am thinking more and more that Tice will not make it past this season...maybe not even to the end of it! I hope that he does turn it around because I like him and think that he is a good personnel person...but Wilf, as a new owner, will be pretty quick to pull the trigger and put his own person in there if Tice doesn't go very deep into the playoffs.

mnvikes61
09-12-2005, 05:49 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

They decided to give Shaun Hill some more responsibility this season so they were letting him call in the plays hopefully he either does it better or they give that job to someone who can handle it.
why the heck would we have Hill giving out the plays. i know the backup QB usually just relays the play the offensive coordinator chose to play. so in that respect the only reason i would be upset with Hill giving the plays to Pep is it seemed to me that we were usually snapping the ball off with like 2 to 3 seconds left on the play clock. that leaves us no time for o-line assignments or anything, i wonder if that was Hill's fault?

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 05:53 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

Dead on, dude! I am thinking more and more that Tice will not make it past this season...maybe not even to the end of it! I hope that he does turn it around because I like him and think that he is a good personnel person...but Wilf, as a new owner, will be pretty quick to pull the trigger and put his own person in there if Tice doesn't go very deep into the playoffs.

If he gets fired, it will be because we are doing terrible. That is why I have a hard time routing against Tice. If we go to the playoffs and don't get too deep, he just won't get his contract renewed, which is probably what should have happened last year.

Someone has got to have the Horse sense to figure out if Tice can actually do the job and make that decision. Someone on the inside, owner or GM(whatever the title is), someone has got to step up.

mnjamie
09-12-2005, 05:56 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

If he gets fired, it will be because we are doing terrible. That is why I have a hard time routing against Tice. If we go to the playoffs, he just won't get his contract renewed.

Someone has got to have the Horse sense to figure out if Tice can actually do the job and make that decision. Someone on the inside, owner or GM(whatever the title is), someone has got to step up.

If Wilfi give Tice the ax .... look out for Jimmy Fassel. Telling ya, Wilfi loves the guy. You think your offense looked bland, boring, and bad today ... Let Fassel get ahold of it ... yikes !!!!!

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 05:57 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

why the heck would we have Hill giving out the plays. i know the backup QB usually just relays the play the offensive coordinator chose to play. so in that respect the only reason i would be upset with Hill giving the plays to Pep is it seemed to me that we were usually snapping the ball off with like 2 to 3 seconds left on the play clock. that leaves us no time for o-line assignments or anything, i wonder if that was Hill's fault?

DC got the plays and he was always trying to audible out(in the first half) that is why it was right down to the wire.

akvikefan89
09-12-2005, 05:59 AM
I don't think we cut any coach mid-season. But if Tice and CO. Blows it this year....In with a new Head and Offensive coach. Keep Teddy, he did great now that he has the talent.

singersp
09-12-2005, 06:05 AM
"If Wilfi give Tice the ax .... look out for Jimmy Fassel. Telling ya, Wilfi loves the guy. You think your offense looked bland, boring, and bad today ... Let Fassel get ahold of it ... yikes !!!!!"

We keep Tice in. I don't wan't to see another Steckel disaster in my lifetime :shock:

FuadFan
09-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Fassel would not be a good decision he is the same kind of coach that Tice is so I'd rather just keep Tice. Also if you'll remember the reason he was fired was because he sucked so bad that his team quit on him that is not a guy I want to see anywhere near the Vikings.

FuadFan
09-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Another point I'd like to make that is my own personal opinion is I hate hearing people say they want to see Tice get fired because by connection that means you want to see the Vikings have a bad season because our team and Tice's job are linked together. You cannot have both work either you want a good season and Tice to stay or you want a bad season to see Tice get fired there is no in between path to get to.

Big C
09-12-2005, 06:37 AM
I agree whole heartedly. I can't understand how the O-line sucking has anything to do with Tice. I can't convince anyone otherwise but hey that's what I feel.

Another HUGE problem is that we have NO red-zone offense. With no running game you cut your number of option by 50%. Burleson, Taylor and Wiggins have the ability to make a catch make some moves, make 10 yards and make a TD happen. But when we're at the 10 yard line, they do not factor in. We simply have no options. That is one area where we miss Moss. Mike Williams could have filled that role for us (big red zone target) but who knows how that would have worked out. I'm still happy we got Troy. Would like to see hom catch a pass against the Bengals.

PAvikesfan
09-12-2005, 06:43 AM
positives first:

I am very happy the bears let edinger go.

I am very happy sharper is now a vike.

Defense played well, minus a 71 yard run.

Wiggins played well as usual but penalties killed two winning or tie-ing scores.

Negatives:

Culp sucked.

Oline sucked.

The bad taste in my mouth is mostly because we lost to a second rate team like the Bucs... It would not hurt so much if it was a gainst a SB caliber team.

Penalties and Turnovers cost us the game.

Burleson didn't make me a believer today that he is a #1.

Let's look forward to next week. No int's for culp, only TD's, and Moore will get playing time. I really don't like Bennett in there.

singersp
09-12-2005, 06:56 AM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

positives first:

I am very happy the bears let edinger go.

I am very happy sharper is now a vike.

Defense played well, minus a 71 yard run.

Wiggins played well as usual but penalties killed two winning or tie-ing scores.

Negatives:

Culp sucked.

Oline sucked.

The bad taste in my mouth is mostly because we lost to a second rate team like the Bucs... It would not hurt so much if it was a gainst a SB caliber team.

Penalties and Turnovers cost us the game.

Burleson didn't make me a believer today that he is a #1.

Let's look forward to next week. No int's for culp, only TD's, and Moore will get playing time. I really don't like Bennett in there.

Don't go looking for positives or you start getting replies like this as I did in the "too those guys breaking their ankles thread"

"Dude, come on now you sound like Richard Simmons. That's like a Ravens fan saying "Well hey at least we put a TD on the board with 13 seconds left in the game".

nextvikingsstar
09-12-2005, 07:04 AM
how could burlson make it known he was a number one he didnt get the ball till late i think it was horrible play calling

hovan
09-12-2005, 07:06 AM
We'll be allright mates! Its one frickin Game!!! Remember when the Patriots were blown out by the Bills a couple years ago in the Opener?? Did Belicheck start to cry...nooooooo. Lets Sack up...bring on the Bengals!!!

JLDII
09-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Alot of the problems today could have been avoided if Tice would play his starters more during the pre-season. The Vikings under Tice just are not ready to play come opening day, every year!! We are now 2-3 with Tice on opening day.

Everyone of the starters should have played the entire first half of each of the final 2 pre-season games. The extra time, and reps under game conditions would prevent alot of the stupid mistakes this team made today.

I can't believe I'm saying this but,....I was actually glad to see Goldberg come into the game today. Daunte finally had some protection and time to throw once we took Johnson out.

UTVikfan
09-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Nobody else in the league plays their starters like that (that I know of) Jld2, why would the Vikes? Can you imagine loosing a starter or a very important backup (Mwelde Moore comes to mind) in the preseason? Game 4 is simply to find out who makes the roster for sure. If you have questions about not playing starters enough in the preseason, ask Atlanta. Or read all the posts every year about having too many preseason games for people to get hurt in. NOT the answer.

singersp
09-12-2005, 07:36 AM
"JLDII" wrote:

Alot of the problems today could have been avoided if Tice would play his starters more during the pre-season. The Vikings under Tice just are not ready to play come opening day, every year!! We are now 2-3 with Tice on opening day.

Everyone of the starters should have played the entire first half of each of the final 2 pre-season games. The extra time, and reps under game conditions would prevent alot of the stupid mistakes this team made today.

I can't believe I'm saying this but,....I was actually glad to see Goldberg come into the game today. Daunte finally had some protection and time to throw once we took Johnson out.

I agree. We used to play starters about 1/4 of the game the first preseason game & the whole game by the last to get them in rythm.
I guess due to all the pre-season injuries the past seasons that trend is going away. Also there are so many more players that are changing teams these years alot more replacements need to be evaluated. Used to be if you drafted a guy & he was good he'd be on the team til he retired. Those days are gone & IMO that's why a team can go from a poor team to a good team in 1 year or vice versa.

PurplePackerEater
09-12-2005, 07:41 AM
"JLDII" wrote:

I cannot agree with that statement at all.

DeathtoDenny
09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
"nextvikingsstar" wrote:

how could burlson make it known he was a number one he didnt get the ball till late i think it was horrible play calling

I work at the dome and see the locker room after games, I will try to take a picture of the dry erase board that said the most rediculous crap that probably made the vikes over confident.
But I agree, the playcalling, especially on our game winning drive that never was, sucked. Pass pass dumpoff pass pass run pass dump dump dump fumble pass PICK.
WITH 1:52 LEFT, YOU MILK THE CLOCK AND BURN THE D'S TIMEOUTS. We should know, it happened to us like 4 times last year. At least one run. But no, Tice and Loney pull the trigger and blow it. They seem to have no grasp on what's going on on offense at all. How many dumpoffs do you think you can do? You don't think the other team saw ya do it behind a good o-line? Maybe do an I-form so Kleinsasser can block? I can't wait for this season to end so we can all finally get rid of monkeyboy Tice and the entire staff, except for the equip manager, he's a cool guy.

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
It looked to me like DC was thinking too damn much. The Bucs would show a package then look like they were audibleing out and then Pepper would be looking trying to audible in return then before the snap the bucs would simply switch back into the previous style.

The guy just played horrible plain and simple, blame the line, blame the coaching, blame the running backs but it was bad. It's a good thing in a way though because it will help him learn and help him grow and if we have seen anything from pepper it is that he improves from his mistakes.

There were 6 RB's in the NFL with 100+ yards all six teams won. Running is important. I said it once and I will say it again the lack of a run game is the coaches fault not the offensive lines. We lack any form of creativity we have 3 run plays. If you don't believe me watch the game again and count them. Dive, Draw, and poorly executed counter.

JDogg926
09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Culpepper was nervous, he wanted to prove he could go out there and do it without Randy. He was just overanxious. I think he'll calm down and be alright. Granted, the poor o-line play and lack of a running game didn't exactly help him out. If the o-line plays like that all year, we'll be lucky to win 6 games. Has Birk already got the surgery??? If not, can we still pull him off IR and cut somebody??? He and Dixon were our 2 best linemen last year. That kind of hurts the team, when you lose your 2 best, at least most consistent, linemen.

I also noticed a couple times, that it seemed Culpepper had a lane to run in had he pulled it down and taken off, but he hesitated and by the time he did decide to run, it was too late.

Also, how in the heck was Hovan in bounds when he recovered that fumble. It sure looked to me as if Culpepper did fumble inbounds, but Hovan was out of bounds when he recovered it. I was waiting for a clear replay, but they didn't show one. And, did it seem as if the refs were out to get Wiggins or what. I don't know how you can interfere w/ someone w/out touching them. Amazing. Had it not been for that call, it would have been 17-17, with about 5:00 left to play.

Before the game, I got about 4 balled up pairs of socks to throw at the TV if necessary. I'm afraid I'm going to need more socks the rest of the season.

T-Bone
09-12-2005, 03:33 PM
We need to commit to one RB and give him enough touches to get going.
What is with Daunte and his pointing after every penalty? Do you notice that he is always wrong? Annoys the heck out of me.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-12-2005, 03:43 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Also, how in the heck was Hovan in bounds when he recovered that fumble. It sure looked to me as if Culpepper did fumble inbounds, but Hovan was out of bounds when he recovered it. I was waiting for a clear replay, but they didn't show one. And, did it seem as if the refs were out to get Wiggins or what. I don't know how you can interfere w/ someone w/out touching them. Amazing. Had it not been for that call, it would have been 17-17, with about 5:00 left to play.

Before the game, I got about 4 balled up pairs of socks to throw at the TV if necessary. I'm afraid I'm going to need more socks the rest of the season.

I saw a decent replay, and Hovan was definetly 80% out of bounds. Why didn't Tice challenge? Why didn't Tice challenge the T.O. play? The Wiggins call was so BS! That was one that could have been a the difference in the game. I can't count the times we lost to a ref call or a non-challenge. I am losing faith in Tice, he better start winning.

I like you idea of the socks JDogg, I might use that one. Hopefully we hire an offensive line coach, establish a running game, and protect Pep. Our D look really good considering they were on the field for the whole game. I liked the scoring on D and the swarming to the ball. I don't think I saw a solo tackle, they all were there to finish the ball carrier. I think this year we will start off a little slow and finish strong!

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 03:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"If Wilfi give Tice the ax .... look out for Jimmy Fassel. Telling ya, Wilfi loves the guy. You think your offense looked bland, boring, and bad today ... Let Fassel get ahold of it ... yikes !!!!!"

We keep Tice in. I don't wan't to see another Steckel disaster in my lifetime :shock:

Tice might just be Les or Jerry with better talent on the field to work with.

VKG4LFE
09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
F!!CK, that's all I gotta say!

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I think the rule is where the ball is not the player on a fumble.

as long as the ball is in the field of play when it is recovered then it is change of posession.

If that's not right, I'm not sure why he didn't challange it was damn close. From what I saw it looked like he was in bounds.

singersp
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think the rule is where the ball is not the player on a fumble.

as long as the ball is in the field of play when it is recovered then it is change of posession.

If that's not right, I'm not sure why he didn't challange it was gol 'darnit close. From what I saw it looked like he was in bounds.

But don't you have to have clear possesion of it before going out? It looked to me as if he was sliding out of bounds just as he grabbed it.

JDogg926
09-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Last year in the playoffs at Phila, if Claiborne was out of bounds, Hovan clearly should have been called out of bounds.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Culpepper was nervous, he wanted to prove he could go out there and do it without Randy. He was just overanxious. I think he'll calm down and be alright.

I think the coaches play calling is over anxious to, when you abandon the run like that and shift into what is the play that is going to get me the first down.

Man we didn't get one shot down the field or one little trick play or anything to calm us down and just say we are having fun out. It was like first down or die. What I am trying to say is that the best way to get relaxed is to act relaxed. Granted the fumbles and INTs probably helped the sense of urgency and the fact that we have not been able to count on our D in the past several years helped us get to that anxious point.

We need to start trusting the D. DC needs to remember that so he doesn't think it is all on his shoulders. I really hope that Winfield or Sharper(cause he got the TD) went up to Daunte after the game and said "WE GOT YOUR BACK, you don't have to do it all."

VKG4LFE
09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Games over, who cares!

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 04:15 PM
THE WAY THE BALL BOUNCES

Perspective Fellas:

Last Year take the Green Bay game in LamBlow. We had some shihitey calls and some untimely fumbles and we lost. We still made the palyoffs.

Last Year the Philly game, we got F'd up, fumble on the goal, T-Ho's complete incomplete bobble catch for a TD, and a missed FG.

In yesterdays game, WE HAD A CHANCE TO WIN, then INT. We had a chance to TIE and it was called back because of a phantom penalty. WE lost now it is time to get over it. I am not suggesting that we stop this thread, I am just trying to put into perspective that it wasn't the end of the world.

Sometimes you just don't get the call or things just don't go your way. These games did not make or break the season. We have the rest of the season to play football.

sunny
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Games over, who cares!

Hopfully Mike Tice and the Coaching staff..........Because I'm sure Wilf cares.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Last year in the playoffs at Phila, if Claiborne was out of bounds, Hovan clearly should have been called out of bounds.

If we didn't see a replay, we wouldn't have had conclusive evidence to over turn anything, not worth throwing the RED Flag.

whackthepack
09-12-2005, 04:20 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

If we didn't see a replay, we wouldn't have had conclusive evidence to over turn anything, not worth throwing the RED Flag.

We were speculating on that call, but they never showed a reverse angle shot so you could see were his body was to the side-line.

ejmat
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I just wanted to add a quote to back up my critiquing of Michael Bennett.

"The Vikings' record in games in which Michael Bennett has five or more carries dropped to a dismal 15-31 Sunday, drawing some to conclude that, if Mike Tice doesn't save his job this season, his commitment to Bennett could be partially to blame."

Do I need to back this up anymore or are some of you still going to get on my case about picking Bennett out?

whackthepack
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
You posted this on another thread! But I guess I do not understand the hostility, and the chip on your shoulder?

But if you need to express yourself with such anger, go ahead!

PhxFan
09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm not going to single out Bennett, perhaps blocking should be singled out, maybe the play-calling should be singled out...maybe, just maybe the Bucs "D" should be singled out??
I guess just some game losing frustrations coming out...here's to a better week ahead :occasion5:

Del Rio
09-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Call out Tice if it pisses you off so much.

6 carries. Wow. Epic.

enlvikeman
09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I for one am happy with the "overall" performance of the team. I can't explain it but I am sorta of happy we lost the first game. Kinda takes the pressure off and removes the hype from our team.

The loss of Burk hurts...and it's obvious. Withrow is a marshmellow who is good for hiking the ball and temporarly slowing the pass rush. No inside push at all. I am a believer that offensive line is everything in the nfl and you won't win without it. Culpepper can not be an effective passer dropping back and rolling out every pass play. The bucs played zone man because they knew we could not run. When Troy went in they rolled a safety over to him. I guess they were not going to give him his first td like they did for Moss. I though that was interesting.

I for one think Tice coached a good game. I have always been a supporter for Tice...and it's not because I'm from MD. Unless your a Tice hater, you could tell that he knew that play could not be challenged...he just pulled it out hoping the refs would review it.

I think we will bounce back against the Bengals. The Vikes are to good a team not to. Two years ago the Eagles lost their first three games and came back to win the NFC. Week 1 is not a prognosticator for things to come. Look at the scores around the league.

snowinapril
09-12-2005, 11:20 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

I just wanted to add a quote to back up my critiquing of Michael Bennett.

"The Vikings' record in games in which Michael Bennett has five or more carries dropped to a dismal 15-31 Sunday, drawing some to conclude that, if Mike Tice doesn't save his job this season, his commitment to Bennett could be partially to blame."

Do I need to back this up anymore or are some of you still going to get on my case about picking Bennett out?

It could be that the Coach that was coaching him didn't use him right. Many factors, maybe on those 31 games he had eggs for breakfast instead of Wheaties. Correlation does not prove causality!

vikings6490
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

I for one am happy with the "overall" performance of the team. I can't explain it but I am sorta of happy we lost the first game. Kinda takes the pressure off and removes the hype from our team.

The loss of Burk hurts...and it's obvious. Withrow is a marshmellow who is good for hiking the ball and temporarly slowing the pass rush. No inside push at all. I am a believer that offensive line is everything in the nfl and you won't win without it. Culpepper can not be an effective passer dropping back and rolling out every pass play. The bucs played zone man because they knew we could not run. When Troy went in they rolled a safety over to him. I guess they were not going to give him his first td like they did for Moss. I though that was interesting.

I for one think Tice coached a good game. I have always been a supporter for Tice...and it's not because I'm from MD. Unless your a Tice hater, you could tell that he knew that play could not be challenged...he just pulled it out hoping the refs would review it.

I think we will bounce back against the Bengals. The Vikes are to good a team not to. Two years ago the Eagles lost their first three games and came back to win the NFC. Week 1 is not a prognosticator for things to come. Look at the scores around the league.

I agree with everything you just said

Paulbedy59
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
I,m not upset,things that have plagued this team kicking and defense looked really good.And what I know is good the offense,will be back,so lots of positives here.

Vikes316
09-13-2005, 02:16 AM
does anyone agree with me that maybe possibly we needed a game like this to wake up and finally make the final ajustments we need to to be a winning team. i think so. i just think that the new offense needed a real game see what it will be like in a full game and now that they now its time to get bak track and step up now that there comfortable with it. to me seems like that

Mr. Purple
09-13-2005, 02:18 AM
I still think we need to address Line Backers in next years draft...A.J. Hawk is plain out nasty for the buckeyes

V4L
09-13-2005, 02:18 AM
I think it could be a good thing to get beat at home on opening day to a team we should have beat according to everyone.. It's like a shot in the jaw.. It stuns ya and you want to do something about it.. I think we can spin this around and make it a positive

akvikefan89
09-13-2005, 02:22 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

I still think we need to address Line Backers in next years draft...A.J. Hawk is plain out nasty for the buckeyes
We may take an O-lineman in the first round the way the Line looks right now...

vikes09
09-13-2005, 02:23 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

lets start talkin about the draft when its necessary, in febuary. :grin:

i think our defense is going to be awesome. offense shores up and LONEY actually does what he was going to do.

mvikes84
09-13-2005, 03:37 AM

This is what you guys say after every loss. "They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves." It's like you think that makes it better. YOU LOST. The truth is we lost because Daunte Culturnover sucked. Their was a power struggle between him and Moss and Culsucker won. He is the leader now and he led the Vikings right into the ground. He sucked!!

mvikes84
09-13-2005, 03:39 AM
"PhxFan" wrote:

I'm not going to single out Bennett, perhaps blocking should be singled out, maybe the play-calling should be singled out...maybe, just maybe the Bucs "D" should be singled out??
I guess just some game losing frustrations coming out...here's to a better week ahead :occasion5: Don't forget Culcrapers 5 TURNOVERS!!!

akvikefan89
09-13-2005, 03:39 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

This is what you guys say after every loss. "They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves." It's like you think that makes it better. YOU LOST. The truth is we lost because Daunte Culturnover sucked. Their was a power struggle between him and Moss and Culsucker won. He is the leader now and he led the Vikings right into the ground. He sucked!!
I suppose the O-Line had nothing to do with it :roll:

Even if we had Moss, Culpepper wouldn't be able to get a pass off to him. Everyone knows that the O-Line is the weak link.

SamDawg84
09-13-2005, 03:40 AM
hey! dont say that! it was cause of our line and it was the 1st game he played in a whole game for a while remember!!!!!!

mnvikes61
09-13-2005, 03:41 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

The truth is we lost because Daunte Culturnover sucked. Their was a power struggle between him and Moss and Culsucker won. He is the leader now and he led the Vikings right into the ground. He sucked!!
alright if the raiders have a better record than the vikes do this season, i'll completely admit that i was wrong about moss. it's early in the season and the raiders, they have the same record as we do, yah they played the patriots but if Moss is almighty has you make him to be, the raiders should be able to beat everybody by himself, shouldn't matter that he has Collins as his QB, or that the raiders have a horrendous D.

SamDawg84
09-13-2005, 03:41 AM
my b day's is the next game

mnvikes61
09-13-2005, 03:43 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

:lol: didn't you start your own thread on that topic, sam? i do hope the vikings give you a W for your b-day!

smilefxr
09-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Was Culpepper ON something? He had no emotion and then reacted like an offsetting penalty would result in a touchdown. He was jumpimg up and down like he didn't know the rules! He never got angry at stupid plays...plenty of those occurred...and never got pumped at good plays, ok...few of those occurred.

akvikefan89
09-13-2005, 03:58 AM
"smilefxr" wrote:

Was Culpepper ON something? He had no emotion and then reacted like an offsetting penalty would result in a touchdown. He was jumpimg up and down like he didn't know the rules! He never got angry at stupid plays...plenty of those occurred...and never got pumped at good plays, ok...few of those occurred.
Go to the "Free Beer!" forum and introduce yourself.

It was IMO, Culpeppers worst game ever. I don't expect him to do that again all season. He'll be back to his ole' self in Cinnci :wink:

ultravikingfan
09-13-2005, 03:58 AM
"SamDawg84" wrote:

I am going to write a letter to the Vikes front office.

They are going to come out with, "and this one is for Sam! May he never follow in his bong-toting brothers footsteps!" :lol:

V4L
09-13-2005, 04:00 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SamDawg84" wrote:

I am going to write a letter to the Vikes front office.

They are going to come out with, "and this one is for Sam! May he never follow in his bong-toting brothers footsteps!" :lol:

HAHA yup! I TOTE bongs :lol:

Guruzen
09-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Pre 2005:
- Great offense
- Horrible defense
- Horrible special teams

Now:
- Anemic offense
- Great defense
- Good special teams

Hasn't changed:
- STILL can't control clock
- STILL can't come back (ie 2 minute drill)

Dejavu:
- Daunte's fumbles
- Abandoning the run
- Michael Bennett

It seems like everytime we improve on one area, something else suffers... however week 1 in the NFL is full of upsets. Let's hope we can get past this hump =(

brandsp
09-14-2005, 01:21 AM
Man the D looked good in the 2nd half. Other than that 71 yd run, which doesn't matter (2 yds would have won the game for them) Tampa's longest drive of the 2nd half was 10 yds.

Overall, other than our nickels getting beat 3 times for big gains on 3rd and long and Rod Davis filling in for an injured Cowart and getting beat, Tampa got zipo. Man this D is going to be good (if Cowart can stay healthy)

Which brings me to one question. With Winfield and Smoot shutting down their guys, why don't we give a little more help to B Will and Ralph Brown?

And the refs sure hurt us twice. Caddy's fumble on the 1st drive that was blown dead and Wiggins mystery pass interference call. If they don't call that penalty, we run the ball at the end of the game and kick a short FG for a 20-17 win.

Mr. Purple
09-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Ya, I hate lookin at games with the woulda coulda shoulda attitude....BUt you make some good points..Our defense was Key to our terrible offense staying in their. In the 4th we sent tampa on some key 3 and outs. Our defense can only get better as we gel more, become more comfrotable. and get everyone 100% healthy.

Viking_Queen
09-14-2005, 01:51 AM
The game answered 3 key question marks I had on the paper. How much has our defense improved? Do we have a reliable FG kicker who can kick over 40 yds? and who is going to punt consistently over 40+yds.?
Man, I'm really liking that Kluwe kid.

mnvikes61
09-14-2005, 02:08 AM
yah our defense bailed us out more times that i can count. espically that last one that we got, when Ralph Brown made that solid tackle leaving the bucs like 2 inches short. i'm so pumped about our D and STs, the offense will catch up so i'm not that worried, just got to get the o-line all on the same page and let them gel.

VKG4LFE
09-15-2005, 03:00 AM
"Viking_Queen" wrote:

The game answered 3 key question marks I had on the paper. How much has our defense improved? Do we have a reliable FG kicker who can kick over 40 yds? and who is going to punt consistently over 40+yds.? Man, I'm really liking that Kluwe kid.

Not to be a downer, just a realist, but let's wait and see how they do outdoors.

magicci
09-15-2005, 03:33 AM
if he could punt consistently like he did he could be a rookie probowler.

Lotza
09-15-2005, 03:39 AM
edinger and kluwe are awesome so far