PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneers O-Line as bad as Advertised



mnjamie
09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Sept. 5th: The Bucs with likely to go with two first-time starters on the left side of their offensive line Sunday, in LT Anthony Davis and LG Dan Buenning.



Rookie guard a likely starter
By RICK STROUD, St. Petersburg Times Staff Writer
Published September 5, 2005

TAMPA - Rookie Dan Buenning appears to have won the job at left guard and expects to start in the opener Sunday at Minnesota.

Buenning, a fourth-round pick from Wisconsin, lined up next to tackle Anthony Davis with the first-team offense in Sunday's practice, the first workout since the Bucs trimmed their roster to 53.

"Yeah, I mean, nothing's in stone," Buenning said. "But absolutely, I love it. I've just got to try to get better and not become complacent with it and keep fighting."

Buenning, 23, replaces veteran Matt Stinchcomb , 28, who missed the first three preseason games with a lower back strain. Neither Buenning nor Davis has started an NFL game. That means the Bucs have lost 167 games of starting experience on the left side of their offensive line with the release of 14th-year tackle Derrick Deese (131 career starts) and the benching of Stinchcomb (36 starts).

"I don't want to come off sounding cocky, but that was my goal the whole time, was to come out and play," Buenning said, a four-year starter at Wisconsin. "I've just got to keep working and make sure that happens. Making the team was never too much of a question in my mind."

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound Buenning said he already has developed chemistry with Davis.

"I think we've got a good connection," Buenning said. "Maybe because we are young guys and we're going to help each other out there as much as we can, because it's our butts on the line."


Sounds like Griese running for his life to me !!! (ahhhh, ya ... warm fuzzies :3some: )

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
yup and the revival of the Purple People Eaters get off to a quick start! :twisted:

akvikefan89
09-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Wow. K-Will and P-Will against those guys had better be murder! I wouldn't want to be their QB...

Space Coyote
09-07-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm in a "rank" football pool at work. I picked the Vikes for 16 points just because I want to get the gambling season off to a good start.

We're gonna kill 'em.

mnjamie
09-07-2005, 07:53 AM
"Space Coyote" wrote:

I'm in a "rank" football pool at work. I picked the Vikes for 16 points just because I want to get the gambling season off to a good start.

We're gonna kill 'em.

Same here man ... they throw in 2 college game also. So, 18 for the highest ... I put the Vikes at 14.

Space Coyote
09-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Huh...lemmie ask...

The hardest two for me to predict is the Cowboys/Chargers and the Jets/Chiefs.

I'm thinking the Bolts...but I went against everyone I know in KC (surprise) who is picking the Chiefs. What did you do?

snowinapril
09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I am not stepping on my eggs before they are cooked in the skillet.

I mean I am not counting sheep until the jump.

I also don't believe in killing two chickens with one stone, I like to use one axe in particular.

It is like splitting hairs on the back of a camel that broke his back.

*********

Just because they are young doesn't mean the can't step it up. I am more worried about our line performing at a consistant level without false starts and holding penalties.

mnjamie
09-07-2005, 08:05 AM
"Space Coyote" wrote:

Huh...lemmie ask...

The hardest two for me to predict is the Cowboys/Chargers and the Jets/Chiefs.

I'm thinking the Bolts...but I went against everyone I know in KC (surprise) who is picking the Chiefs. What did you do?

I went Bolts and Chiefs ... at home. They both were 3 point favorites on the Vegas odds ... So, when in doubt, go with the home team has been my experience. But both are really toss up's.

TripB77
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Just because they are young doesn't mean the can't step it up. I am more worried about our line performing at a consistant level without false starts and holding penalties.

Exactly. I dont want our D-line going in thinking that the rookies wont get it done and then not bring their A-game.

Burley81
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Griese is going to get crushed!

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I am not stepping on my eggs before they are cooked in the skillet.

I mean I am not counting sheep until the jump.

I also don't believe in killing two chickens with one stone, I like to use one axe in particular.

It is like splitting hairs on the back of a camel that broke his back.

*********

Just because they are young doesn't mean the can't step it up. I am more worried about our line performing at a consistant level without false starts and holding penalties.

Not only that but one of the guys won the job by playing well. I have a feeling ole C. Williams may have a pretty good debut for the bucks, he has done some good things in the offseason.

sitandbehitski
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Don't be making fun of someone else's O-Line untill we see how ours does, I'm confident in our tackles but the interior scares me.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I really expect our D to get sacks and picks. I started their fantasy defense over Buffalo. I think Griese will get killed! Cadillac may get some yards, but soon in the game they will be passing a lot.

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Hell even Mckinnie is always getting beat by the quicker ends. The O-line is definately a point of concern.

FuadFan
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Our line is not as bad as some people would like to obsess about it being. It just is new compared to last year and like the defense in a few weeks we will wondering why we ever brought this up.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 05:44 PM
The O-line just needs time to jel just like the defence. Tice couldn't seem to settle on his starters during training camp, and that combined with the Birk thing, means that our starting O-line has only been together for about a week and a half. If you look at the line, its not really a bad unit, but they're just getting used to each other for the time being. In a week or two, they'll be fine, especially not that Jimmy K is back, and we'll be running the ball down everyone's throats.

PurpleTide
09-07-2005, 06:18 PM
On Defense, look for us to put 8 in the box and stop the run. Griese then will be an easy target when forced to pass.... Can't Wait...Skol

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

The O-line just needs time to jel just like the defence. Tice couldn't seem to settle on his starters during training camp, and that combined with the Birk thing, means that our starting O-line has only been together for about a week and a half. If you look at the line, its not really a bad unit, but they're just getting used to each other for the time being. In a week or two, they'll be fine, especially not that Jimmy K is back, and we'll be running the ball down everyone's throats.

The o-line being bad isn't a new thing.

Mikecarter81
09-07-2005, 07:12 PM
FuadFan

I disagree I have not been impressed with Corey Winthrow at all, plus if it was so set why did the vikes trade for that center from Cleveland.

One other point is let me say a thing or two about Dan Buenning. I saw him play a lot over the last four years here at University of Wisconsin. He is a nasty nasty player and works to punish people, his technique is very sound and if he gets in rythem he can really drive block. Yet he does from time to time gets frustrated by pass blocking schemes and had a difficult time with stunts.

Mike