View Full Version : Koren Robinson is a viking

Pages : [1] 2

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 02:03 AM
http://startribune.com/stories/510/5598034.html
its a two year deal

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 02:05 AM
i'm really dissapointed in mike tice he should have waited until next week its not like we had any competition to sign the guy, now we have to pay him, its gonna be signed tomorrow. just another exampel of why they call tice meathead, i know we have the cap to cut him, but why?

magicci
09-06-2005, 02:07 AM
well i guess this is good news. now i just cant wait to see him play. im all guessin daunte will like this. so is this good bye Howry?

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:07 AM
well hopefully he's the 2nd coming of Cris Carter or somebody great cuz this move was flat out stupid, STUPID. :banghead:

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 02:08 AM
it could be ir for campbell, because i don't know it tice is gonna try him on punts like he did in college, it would be smart because he was good

magicci
09-06-2005, 02:08 AM
i wanna cut howry not campbell.

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:09 AM
so you think we'll cut campbell? man if they do that instead of cutting howry. oh man, i'll be mad at the organization, at least campbell shows up and makes a play once in awhile, howry is just fair catching for us, getting paid a lot money to do just that too.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 02:10 AM
i agree with you a hundred perecent howry needs to, but as of now he has more value in tice's head

thenorseman
09-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Denver would have snagged him if the vikes didnt move fast.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 02:11 AM
campbell will not be cut hell be stashed on ir, hes too good to cut until we know the outcome of his court trial

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 02:12 AM
HELL YA WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:15 AM
hopefully he doesn't flop cuz we could have tried to wait, so we wouldn't have had to pay him to see if he had his head straight. i don't know about this. sounds pretty sketchy

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:15 AM
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E-HIGH FIVES ALL ROUND

magicci
09-06-2005, 02:16 AM
well we all know now that minnesota is the home for the NFL's misfit WR's we have gone through so many reiceivers that had many different problems that ended in minny and did good. lets see...
Carter- Life Problems
Moss- Attitude
M. Robinson-Performance
Taylor- Coming here to show what he can do
K. Robinson- Alchie
Campbell- Drugs and Courts problems
and two busted misfits in Bates and the other WR from 2001. plus one RB with Whizzinator probs.
but hopefully this guy can shape up now here in Minny.

kramer9guy
09-06-2005, 02:17 AM
"magicci" wrote:

i wanna cut howry not campbell.

Cut 'em both and bring back Hoag.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Let's hope he pans out. I really hope he is good for us.

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Man i like campbell I really think he has the ablity to streach the field, idk maybe its just me but i like campbell....you have no idea how excited i am for Koren to sign with us...this is amazing!

Ddawg84
09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
"thenorseman" wrote:

Denver would have snagged him if the vikes didnt move fast.

That is true... with Rice now retiring the broncos were gunna be looking for someone to be able to be a third or fourth reciever and make some plays. I see how people could definately see this as a bad signing, but maybe all Robinson needed was a fresh start, such as a Cris Carter. He has a ton of potential and who knows maybe Daunte will be able to help turn his career around like it is starting to look like it might do for Travis Taylor... give this guy a chance, i am sure when Tice signed him, he saw him being a better player than Kelly Cambell and Howry. And i am sure Tice told him straight up before he signed, "if you screw up, your as* is gone.... so lets just stay positive and see what happens!!!

magicci
09-06-2005, 02:20 AM
ok so what is this guys 40 time and measurements?

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:20 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Man i like campbell I really think he has the ablity to streach the field, idk maybe its just me but i like campbell....you have no idea how excited i am for Koren to sign with us...this is amazing!

Yeah really. Is he going to wear 84? jw. That is what I am guessing considering it is the only # in the 80s left.

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:21 AM
i don't care if he knocks off howry that guy is a waste of space, but campbell can stretch the field, so i hope they keep him. if they don't we'll only have a rookie to really stretch the field

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
haha koren needs to rock the "84" HES THE NEXT MOSS GUYS...

jusssssssst kidding! lol

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
"magicci" wrote:

ok so what is this guys 40 time and measurements?

At the combine when he was drafted he ran a 4.6 with a hurt hammy.

here are his stats.

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2001 Seattle Seahawks 16 13 39 536 13.7 42 1 8 2 25
2002 Seattle Seahawks 16 16 78 1240 15.9 83 5 19 4 58
2003 Seattle Seahawks 15 15 65 896 13.8 38 4 14 0 39
2004 Seattle Seahawks 10 8 31 495 16.0 33 2 10 0 23
TOTAL 57 52 213 3167 14.9 83 12 51 6 145

RUSHING

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Full Name: Koren Robinson
Born: March 19, 1980
Belmont, NC
Height: 6-1
Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25
Pos: WR
Experience: 5 years
College: North Carolina State
Drafted: Year:2001 Round:1 Pick:9, Seahawks

More stats like height weight etc.

magicci
09-06-2005, 02:26 AM
bad post.

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 02:26 AM
With culpepper at the helm, lets get him back to his 02 year!

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:27 AM
6'1 PPE just posted it.

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Hey btw Purple People Eater, NC state gave virgina tech a run for thier money last night...the lateral at the end was awesome! you guys gotta pretty good team!

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:30 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Hey btw Purple People Eater, NC state gave virgina tech a run for thier money last night...the lateral at the end was awesome! you guys gotta pretty good team!

Thanks. We gave 'em a run at the end. That fake punt was hella sweet. Burley81 has been exchanging PM's with me about the game because he is a VT fan. I love our D with Lawson and Williams. If only we hadn't had that penalty at the end. :evil:

Oh well.. They are the #8 team and I saw that our offense is finally getting its act together inder Jay Davis. :grin:

DoraTheExplorer
09-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Oh great! Another major @ss hole for the Vikings! Horay! I swear if this guy can't perform a major miracle, he's not worth it

KWILL93
09-06-2005, 02:34 AM
so they thought that he was the best WR available with guys like Price, Terrell, and even Warrick who if nothing else could be the PR/KR. Not than any of them are better. BUt they would seem to have much less baggage. But who knows. Maybe he turns his life around ala Chris Carter and does fantastic for us. I guess I will at leats give him that chance as long as Howry or Campbell is gone I a fine with it.

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:35 AM
were we the only team really showing interest in Robinson? if we were we majorly messed up by signing him now. if we would have waited we could signed him and he wouldn't have been guarenteed squat.

Ltrey33
09-06-2005, 02:37 AM
This is great. I know some people are griping about it, but I think this is going to be a great move. It's amazing how much better guys behave when you have a QB named Daunte instead of Matt.

LuckyVike
09-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Yea baby! I'm pumped that we got Koren! All the more depth, now we got to go get Jay Foreman.

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

Yea baby! I'm pumped that we got Koren! All the more depth, now we got to go get Jay Foreman.
well who do you want to cut to get Foreman here? i really don't think we need another linebacker, we have something like 8 of em already.

Prophet
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
May work out ok, I definitely question the move though. Burleson, Taylor, Williamson, and a couple Robinsons. M. Robinson will be walking the plank it appears.

GreenBaySlackers
09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

May work out ok, I definitely question the move though. Burleson, Taylor, Williamson, and a couple Robinsons. M. Robinson will be walking the plank it appears.

four sons and a tailor...

GreenBaySlackers
09-06-2005, 03:25 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

were we the only team really showing interest in Robinson? if we were we majorly messed up by signing him now. if we would have waited we could signed him and he wouldn't have been guarenteed squat.

denver would have taken him after rice retired

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 03:28 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"mnvikes61" wrote:

denver would have taken him after rice retired

probably.

ItalianStallion
09-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Is there any reason we signed him after training camp and preseason? I mean we could have had the past 5 weeks preparing him for the season but instead we have a guys who has probably been sitting at home drinking beer and watching preseason on TV. Not to mention we could have seen how effective the guy still is in 4 games.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:31 AM
This guy once referred to as the second coming of randy moss a couple years back after he was drafted and through his second year. so its kinda that now he is with us and has chance to help replace randy moss. i really hope he work hard as i said in the other post, he is the perfect compliment to nate burleson if he can return to the form of his first two season. with 1)burleson, 2)koren robinson(with work and if he reaches his potential) and 3) taylor reminds me of marvin harrison, reggie wayne and brandon stokley. i like it expecially since we can bring in marcus in the redzone who can jump with the best of them, and williamson and robinson and campbell have that deep speed, it give us a lot of flexibility, plus with onterrio smith out for the year, or looker room is pretty much trouble free, unless he wants to go shooting with kelly campbell who could get the boot. lol

midgensa
09-06-2005, 03:33 AM
This is clearly a move to show we do not have faith in M-Rob anymore. I think K-Rob is coming in to be the No.3/4 with Williamson. This does mean that we will see A LOT of 4-5 receiver sets and this means that Tice still is not comfy with the running game.
As for K-Rob, he made a stupid mistake and got a DUI, I bet personally a lot of people on this site have DUI's on their record (not me by the way), and had problems with depression and LEGAL PRESCRIBED drugs at one point. If he has turned it around, he can be a No. 1 receiver in this league and having him around as a No. 4 is a steal.

ranasrule
09-06-2005, 03:33 AM
this is awesome..... our receivers went from good to great with this move

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:35 AM
we waited to sign him because we wanted to see what we had, and apparently the coaches didn't think we had enough. besides burleson culpepper really didn't have a consistent number two target, one week it would taylor the next robinson, so they are trying to give culpepper a solid group of playmakers, and koren could end up being our number 2 wideout if he picks up the play book, and gets in shape, and minimize his drops, granted unlike hasselback culpepepr can throw so hard it stick in ur hands.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 03:37 AM
I am absolutely shocked by this move, after the great play by our top 4 WR's in preseason. I would have figured, if we were truely looking for another WR,we would have went with peter warrick, since he is an explosive punt returner, and Tice said he was looking for just that. I don't know, maybe we tried for warrick but the #'s just weremn't what we wanted.

My biggest worry about bringing in Koren, is him stunting the growth of williamson. If he isn't gonna be taking a lot of williamson's PT away, then I am all for this move, because Koren is a big time deep threat WR, provided he can actually catch the ball.

To me he is our #5, maybe #4(eventually) ahead of M-Rob, so that's a good upgrade over kelly cambell IMO.

I can't imagine teams trying to match up against our 5 WR sets now.

Actually I really wonder if Tice is maybe giving up on the run, or giving up on us being a more balanced offense. I mean we lost Birk and withrow is not a good run blocking center. We have a rookie RG in there that is a really good pass blocker and needs his most work on run blocking, same can be said for McKinnie. I really wonder if Tice sees that we aren't gonna be able to run the ball like he wanted us to this year and thus he wants us to have a ton of good WR's, to spread the opponents defenses out and let our best player(daunte) lead us to the promise land.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:38 AM
marcus robinson has definitely lost some of his ability, he is more a situational player. and the vikings do want to spread the field more this year and with the absence of a true feature back we now have 5 wideouts who can easily spread the field it. now you can only double team one, leaving williamson open to go deep because if u double burleson u can't cover him over the top

ItalianStallion
09-06-2005, 03:41 AM
"Vikes11KicksButt" wrote:

we waited to sign him because we wanted to see what we had, and apparently the coaches didn't think we had enough. besides burleson culpepper really didn't have a consistent number two target, one week it would taylor the next robinson, so they are trying to give culpepper a solid group of playmakers, and koren could end up being our number 2 wideout if he picks up the play book, and gets in shape, and minimize his drops, granted unlike hasselback culpepepr can throw so hard it stick in ur hands.

I would rather see what this guy had before we signed him. There was no harm in bringing him in for training camp. Now we are gambling with him when the games count.

For the record people need to stop hating on MRob, who is currently better than every receiver we have except Burleson.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:44 AM
i think alot of it had to do with the lack of a running game also, tice realizes that will have to spread the field mroe like he said we were going to do originially after the moss trade. until someone emerges and proves they can be a feature back look for us to spread the field and mimic the patriots offense before they had corey dillion. this is simply a case of upgrading our overall talent by getting the best players we can

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 03:46 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"Vikes11KicksButt" wrote:

I would rather see what this guy had before we signed him. There was no harm in bringing him in for training camp. Now we are gambling with him when the games count.

For the record people need to stop hating on MRob, who is currently better than every receiver we have except Burleson.

Who knows, was he even out of treatment during our TC and this preseason? Maybe he just recently was released from treatment, I don't know.

I think the biggest key in this is if we don't sign him until week 2, his contract isn't guaranteed and we can cut him anytime we want with no cap ramifications. That's probably why we didn't signed him, if he was out of treatment.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:52 AM
apparently the broncos were also interested which i did not originally know, but koren is on his last leg in this league, if he screws up with this team with daunte culpepper as his qb he is done in this league, and i'm sure he is aware of this afterall look how long it took him to get signed, plus we have the cap room to cut him and he will come off the books at the end of the season, and we prolly still have a aroudn 3.2 million left in cap room to pick up another two or players or so if the oppurtinity is presented

magicci
09-06-2005, 03:54 AM
marcus has looked good this preseason did u see that 3 and a mile catch he made agains the seahawks u cant say that wasnt good.

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 03:57 AM
i really don't think the signing is a knock anyone, taylor and robinson palyed well in the preseason, just if u can get another playmaker it never hurts

arialassault84
09-06-2005, 04:00 AM
A WR with some off the field issues ,now everything is right with the world!
This finally feels like the Vikes that I love!
Coming out of college Koren Robinson is the only guy I can remember being compared to Moss.

arialassault84
09-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Now Detroit is not the only team with 3 first round picks at WR spot. Not only that but all of ours are better than top 10. HA HA!

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 04:04 AM
one word....DEPTH. your welcome

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 04:04 AM
I'd say Kely Cambell and Koren Robinson are about even, when it comes to off-field issues, so the question is, who has more value on the field? I think that one is obviously a landslide, even with the drop balls.

PurpleAndy
09-06-2005, 04:06 AM
Are we going to run the 5 wide receiver spread offense or something?

Ltrey33
"arialassault84" wrote:

Now Detroit is not the only team with 3 first round picks at WR spot. Not only that but all of ours are better than top 10. HA HA!

We're not paying as much as them either, lol.

outcast316
I think it was a good pick up...hopefully he gets his stuff strait off the field.

PurplePeopleEaters
"arialassault84" wrote:

A WR with some off the field issues ,now everything is right with the world!
This finally feels like the Vikes that I love!
Coming out of college Koren Robinson is the only guy I can remember being compared to Moss.

That is only because the NC state offense made him look SO good! :cool: :wink:

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:08 AM
i love this the vikings with a spice. it makes them a lil less boring.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 04:13 AM
In madden he is our 2nd best reciever. Wow.

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:18 AM
you already have him on our team?

natethegreat
09-06-2005, 04:22 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

In madden he is our 2nd best reciever. Wow.

yeah i know hes an 84, is that off by alot or is that just me, nate's a 86

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
I think this is a GREAT move. This is hardly going to cost us anything. As someone else said, he's on his last legs, so he can't command a big salary. Everyone knows that he has alcy problems, but how big a problem is that going to be?? If it doesn't affect his play on the field, I couldn't care less. But if it does start to be a problem and he's a distraction, then we can just cut him with hardly any problems.

He has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl receiver and really help stretch the field (maybe even teach a thing or two to Troy who is going to be the same kind of receiver). I don't understand how all you people can be so pumped about Taylor and so down on Koren. Their basically the same situation. They both want to revive their careers in Minnesota. People who are desperate can do amazing things. Koren knows that if he doesn't work out here, he's done. Period. And he knows that if he turns his life around and catches some deep balls, he can earn millions and millions of dollars more.

cc21
09-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Well now we are just more stacked at reciever than we were before. Thats the way I'm looking at it. Hopefully he doesnt make any bad moves off the field though.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 04:35 AM
"magicci" wrote:

you already have him on our team?

Yeah. I cut Howry and put Koren in his place. According to madden ratings our WR's depth chart looks like:

Nate Burleson- 86
Koren Robinson- 84
Marcus Robinson- 82
Travis Taylor- 81
Troy Williamson- 81
Kelly Campbell- 81 (overrated) :lol:

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:37 AM
u dont go online with madden?

PurplePackerEater
09-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Tice and Co. are a little worried about Moss being gone?

I don't think that it's a terrible move. Maybe Campbell and Robinson can alternate their jail times to accomidate the Vikings Organization.

FuadFan
09-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Well I guess this is a good move almost everybody on thisboard hates Howry and I personslly want to see Campbell cut so it is a winning move for all board members, now who will the Vikings cut?

dauntefan
09-06-2005, 04:42 AM
I like this move. Koren has huge upside. If he flops, we wouldn't be losing out. I think Culpepper is a good QB for him. We took a trouble maker in Moss and look how he turned out. Maybe we can do it again.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 04:44 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Well I guess this is a good move almost everybody on thisboard hates Howry and I personslly want to see Campbell cut so it is a winning move for all board members, now who will the Vikings cut?

Please cut howry! At least Campbell has a little bit of game experience.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 04:45 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Tice and Co. are a little worried about Moss being gone?

I don't think that it's a terrible move. Maybe Campbell and Robinson can alternate their jail times to accomidate the Vikings Organization.

I don't think he's really worried about him being gone...but this will certainly help replace him. Since nobody is ever going to fill Randy's shoes, and noone will ever have the same kind of production that he had, the only way to replace him is to have better players up and down on both sides of the field. I think we do. I think our receiving corps as a whole is better this year than last and I REALLY am happy about that!!

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 04:47 AM

"FuadFan" wrote:

Please cut howry! At least Campbell has a little bit of game experience.

I agree. Howry was only really here just to return kicks, and Koren will probably be able to do that WAY better. Campbell at least has some skills and he'll be able to be a character player. But Howry just plain sucks.

V4L
09-06-2005, 05:10 AM
FUCKIN RIGHT DAWGY!!!!! I was surprised to see a 2 year though.. So if we cut him it will be more of a cap hit.. Well im just glad to see him aboard!! Welcome to the squad Koren! He will look sick in purple with that visor!

ultravikingfan
09-06-2005, 05:10 AM
As far as Koren goes, I really do not know too much about him. He seems troubled and nobody seems to have a good outlook on him. So, I will reserve judgement.

Just remember, when Cris Carter came to play for us he was not much better. He had problems also. But, he saw the Vikes as a new beginning...and the rest is history!

COJOMAY
09-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Koran -- Look out for that lady cop! LOOK OUT! LOOOOOKKKK OOUUUUUTT!

V4L
09-06-2005, 05:21 AM
I can honestly say we probably will have a top 5 D again if Koren pans out.. He has all the talent in the world he just has to use it.. And if Bennett or Mewelde can get us atleast 900 yards and 7 td's ill be happy with the O completly

FuadFan
09-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Does anybody know what the exact terms of this two year deal are? Are they making it incentive based with no bonuses like Clarrett's or does he get a little bit of bonus money?

ranasrule
09-06-2005, 05:43 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Does anybody know what the exact terms of this two year deal are? Are they making it incentive based with no bonuses like Clarrett's or does he get a little bit of bonus money?

its a 2year deal worth 1.5mil + incentives

V4L
09-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Pretty cheap deal then.. I think we got a good bargin here.. Hell I think he will have simular stats to 2002.. Pep will get him the ball exactly where it should be thrown.. This O is kinda scary! Pretty close to the O we had last year with Jimmy back and Rosey.. Then when ya look at the upgrades we made we are totally going to D-town!!

Webby
09-06-2005, 05:46 AM
I don't like comparing him to Cris Carter.

I am just puzzled as we have other holes to fill on this team, and do we really need to be amazing 5 deep at WR when we have no healthy RB? You don't get to use the WR without some stable and productive RB, folks.

If he pans out, fine. But let him cause one distraction this year, and I will be all over him like stink on a packer.

V4L
09-06-2005, 05:51 AM
I think we will have atleast a decent Hb weather thats MM or MB.. No way can a D cover all the weapons we have no.. Expecially GB

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 06:03 AM
You guys will be SCREAMING every time he drops a pass (and does it often).... Bad call Tice, bad call ....

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:05 AM
You will be screaming when him and pep are carrying around that Lombardi trophy!! He will contribute no doubt.. Best 3rd/4th WR in the league I bet

PurplePeopleEaters
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Pretty cheap deal then.. I think we got a good bargin here.. Hell I think he will have simular stats to 2002.. Pep will get him the ball exactly where it should be thrown.. This O is kinda scary! Pretty close to the O we had last year with Jimmy back and Rosey.. Then when ya look at the upgrades we made we are totally going to D-town!!

I don't think he will have THAT good of stats. I could see him having a decent season though...

fred3105
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

As far as Koren goes, I really do not know too much about him. He seems troubled and nobody seems to have a good outlook on him. So, I will reserve judgement.

Just remember, when Cris Carter came to play for us he was not much better. He had problems also. But, he saw the Vikes as a new beginning...and the rest is history!

I wasn't around when Cris Carter came to the Vikings, but did he have trouble catching the ball? I know Koren Robinson does.

magicci
09-06-2005, 06:06 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

You guys will be SCREAMING every time he drops a pass (and does it often).... Bad call Tice, bad call ....
thats the same problem T.O. had before he really developed.

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:08 AM

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I don't think he will have THAT good of stats. I could see him having a decent season though...

I dunno it will be close i bet.. Better blocking this year.. And I see us passing as much as we did last year with a weak running game.. More weapons means he will spread it around more.. We pnly had Randy at 100 like half the games anyway.. But yah that season was unbelievable for him.. 4000 yards and 35 TD's im guessing

midgensa
09-06-2005, 06:11 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

I am just puzzled as we have other holes to fill on this team, and do we really need to be amazing 5 deep at WR when we have no healthy RB? You don't get to use the WR without some stable and productive RB, folks.

If he pans out, fine. But let him cause one distraction this year, and I will be all over him like stink on a packer.

I think I am with you on this one.

ultravikingfan
09-06-2005, 06:12 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"fred3105" wrote:

I wasn't around when Cris Carter came to the Vikings, but did he have trouble catching the ball? I know Koren Robinson does.

Like I said, I do not know much about him. Never really paid much attention to him. I did know that he did not pan out as well as they hoped in Seattle.

Just sounds as if he has problems...Cris had problems too. Give the guy a new team and a new life. Ya never know.

ItalianStallion
09-06-2005, 06:13 AM
"magicci" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

Koren had like 4 years in the league. If he can't catch the ball yet, oh my. Also, I wouldn't want TO on this team either.

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:14 AM
"magicci" wrote:

"mnjamie" wrote:

hey got point man! I didnt even think of that..

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 06:14 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

You will be screaming when him and pep are carrying around that Lombardi trophy!! He will contribute no doubt.. Best 3rd/4th WR in the league I bet

Do you watch football?? 3rd or 4th best in the League??? Wow, quite a statement .... Check out some game tape on him if you can get your hands on it ... saw him a lot last year on the Ticket, he was barely the 3rd best receiver on the Seahags last year ...

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 06:16 AM
i think you got what he meant wrong, he meant the best 3rd or fourth wide reciever in the league depth chart wise, not the 3rd or 4th best wideout in the league overall

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 06:17 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

Agreed completely. Why even waste the time on him on a postion that is already deep, when we have other holes to fill. The move just doesnt make any sense. Plus, for everyone who said Moss was a "Cancer" and a distraction .... Why bring another one in that is WAY less talented ... Is quite a head scratcher.

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:19 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Do you watch football?? 3rd or 4th best in the League??? Wow, quite a statement .... Check out some game tape on him if you can get your hands on it ... saw him a lot last year on the Ticket, he was barely the 3rd best receiver on the Seahags last year ...

HAHA!! :lol:

Whut kinda question is this? Why would I be here if I didn't watch football?? Tell me man.. Who is a better 3rd or 4th WR? Brandon Stokley maybe.. He is atleast top 3 at 3rd or 4th WR.. Maybe someone at the pats.. They are pretty deep there.. But come on man..

ultravikingfan
09-06-2005, 06:19 AM
I do agree with the many that we do need to llok at our team needs, and WR was probably not one the immediate needs here. How about our Offensive Line depth?

FuadFan
09-06-2005, 06:20 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Do you watch football?? 3rd or 4th best in the League??? Wow, quite a statement .... Check out some game tape on him if you can get your hands on it ... saw him a lot last year on the Ticket, he was barely the 3rd best receiver on the Seahags last year ...He didn't say third or fourth best WR he said the best #3 or #4 WR on the depth chart compared to all other teams third or fourth WR.

fred3105
09-06-2005, 06:21 AM
The Patriots arent that deep at good recievers, although I would say Ronald Curry and Stokley are possibly better than him. I dont think hes as bad though as mnjamie is trying to make him out to be...

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:21 AM
I would rather bring in a WR who would play then a back up lineman.. Thats just me though.. There isnt really much for depth in the FA.. Dan Neil is there I know.. But other then that I think we have some depth there already.. Could use more though!

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 06:22 AM
does anyone remember when the patriots won their first superbowl playing in a spread offense without a consistent running threat, they had lots of talents wideouts and no rb...hmmm maybe just our brain trust realized why sign a sucky runningback that wont help when we can possibly get a steal and move to a spread offense and use our strengths, i mean we have great tight ends so i doubt we will exclusively run a spread offense but if the i-form doesn't work i don't think we will hesitate to go spread

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:23 AM
Hey thanks Fuad and Fred.. I didn't state that correctly.. Yes 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.. Sorry for the mix up Jamie!

FuadFan
09-06-2005, 06:24 AM
I do agree with the many that we do need to llok at our team needs, and WR was probably not one the immediate needs here. How about our Offensive Line depth?

We traded to get that Melvin Fowler from the Browns, Anthony Herrera is a fine lineman when he is healthy, and we have two offensive lineman on the practice squad I think we are fine with our lineman.

ultravikingfan
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Hey thanks Fuad and Fred.. I didn't state that correctly.. Yes 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.. Sorry for the mix up Jamie!

Please, put the bong down! :lol:

snowinapril
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't K-Rob part of the "hey, it hit my hands, I dropped it club" in Seattle.

V4L
Good point Vikeskick.. I think our O will be just fine with all the weapons surrounding Pep.. Surround your best player with weapons! Our running game should be alright I think though.. Bennett will be out by week 3 and MM will be making holes for himself

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 06:25 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I would rather bring in a WR who would play then a back up lineman.. Thats just me though.. There isnt really much for depth in the FA.. Dan Neil is there I know.. But other then that I think we have some depth there already.. Could use more though!

WHen is he going to see the field?? Do you take time away from Williamson developing in game time situations?? He wont be above Nate, M.Rob, or T.Taylor and highly doubt he could even beat out Williamson right now. So that makes him #4 or #5. Then you add in his baggage of the field and WELL KNOWN history of drop passes on easy throws ... IMO not worth adding to the locker room. We had enough distractions this offseason and it looked like we were moving past them ... now you just through the can of worms out there again to see what happens.

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 06:26 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't K-Rob part of the "hey, it hit my hands, I dropped it club" in Seattle.

He was the Executive President and CEO of that particular club.

ultravikingfan
09-06-2005, 06:28 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

He was the Executive President and CEO of that particular club.

He was also the Founder too I heard! :lol:

FuadFan
09-06-2005, 06:30 AM
He is pretty much exactly like Kelly Campbell except he is probably much better then him in any type of ability that a WR needs to be good.

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 06:32 AM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

i don't care if he knocks off howry that guy is a waste of space, but campbell can stretch the field, so i hope they keep him. if they don't we'll only have a rookie to really stretch the field

I am tired of people saying he can stretch the field. Troy is going to be the one stretching the field from now on. Campbell and Howry both could be gone for all I care. We are paying the WRs some good money and they need to earn it. Pony up and start earning your check by returning Punts and Kicks.

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:32 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Please, put the bong down! :lol:

The rasta graphix bong doesnt leave my hands!!

MNJAMIE.. I think he will beat out M-rob no doubt.. All he does is get open on curl routes and is an endzone threat really.. Williamson is still a rookie so will most likely be behind him as well.. I see use using Williamson for sure passing plays anyway.. And deep routes.. So he will still see the same ammount of time.. I don't really know the plans but I see it like this after week 5 maybe

1. Nate
2. Travis
3. Koren
4. Williamson/ M-rob.. Depends if he gets hurt AGAIN..
6. Campbell

magicci
09-06-2005, 06:34 AM
why are you people gettin mad that we got him instead of another lineman or rb, im sure if there was some serious talent out there worth taking a look at dont u think tice and co. would have got that person instead of koren. and if you could think of any other valuable players out there tell me.

V4L
09-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Exactly what I was thinking Magicci.. Why would we bring in a backup Lineman or another RB? Im cool with Bennett MM and Fason.. We have some depth at the line anyway.. Goldberg.. Fowler.. And the other guy Fuad said.. We could have gotten Jay Foreman but we have lots of depth there too.. Koren was a good pick up no doubt

ItalianStallion
09-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Mrob is still our best deep threat, not Williamson, not Burleson. Also being a redzone threat does count for a lot. Don't sell him short.

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 06:50 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Mrob is still our best deep threat, not Williamson, not Burleson. Also being a redzone threat does count for a lot. Don't sell him short.

I don't think that M-Rob is not an asset, he can definitely help our team.

I think the biggest thing for bringing in K-Rob and the other WRs is that the staff doesn't think M-Rob will stay healthy. ?????????

I honestly don't know why we brought in another WR. I am not complaining, seems like a gamble that wasn't needed to be taken. I am looking forward to being proved wrong.

Someone mentioned the Patriots and them having the big group of WRs and using them to make plays. I think that only works if there are no attitudes on the team. We will have to see how they gel or if any attitudes form, that would not be good.

magicci
09-06-2005, 06:55 AM
whats the big downside to this gamble tell me?

ShanePurpleBlood
09-06-2005, 07:01 AM
If he can stay away from Lance Johnstone, and not drink and drive....then he might help us.

magicci
09-06-2005, 07:08 AM
i think we are as much as a home for misfit players as the raiders.

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 07:27 AM
2004 Drops Leaders
Player Team Drops

Darrell Jackson SEA 11
Donald Driver GB 11
Az-Zahir Hakim DET 11
Koren Robinson SEA 10
Keary Colbert CAR 10
Jimmy Smith JAX 10

---------------------------------------------------------

2004 Highest Drop Percentage, Top 5

Player Team Target Drop Drop %
Az-Zahir Hakim DET 57 11 17.5%
Koren Robinson SEA 67 10 14.9%
Darius Watts DEN 53 6 11.3%
Antonio Bryant CLE* 72 8 11.1%
Keary Colbert CAR 92 10 10.9%
*Bryant’s stats are from Cleveland only

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 07:34 AM
"magicci" wrote:

whats the big downside to this gamble tell me?

He has some issues which have been noted here so far in this thread.

Drops
Past

Possible issues with team

Chemistry
Money (2 Million)

I know that we aren't suppose to expect much from our Rookie, but I don't want him to get lost in the shadows either. We are paying that Rook a lot of money.

I hope K-Rob can help this team, but it just doesn't seem like it was a necessity or worth the $2 mil (at this time).

magicci
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
yeah but thats not as big as a gamble as people are making it out to be.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 07:36 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

Ah but as you just said, we are struggling to run the football, wether it be because of the RB's or because of the O-lineman. There really isn't much for help out there right now, as far as improving our running game, so maybe instead we bolster our receiving corp even more, to open up the run. We are obviously gonna be a team that uses the pass to open up the run, so this would help us there. And if we can't run the football any better this year, we have the tools to be a crazy deadly passing offense, even better then last year's.

I agree that the run offense is a big concern for us after this preseason, but with no real help out there for our run game, this may be the best thing for our run offense or the best thing for our overall offense.

It isn't costing us a lot and if he messes up, we all know he will be quickly gone, with us still having 4 very good WR's.

I personally like the move, but again, only as long as he doesn't get in the way and stunt williamson's growth.

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
"magicci" wrote:

i think we are as much as a home for misfit players as the raiders.

Yah, that whole misfit thing goes back to the days of the "Raider Mystique," I don't think they have a ton of misfits anymore. Either that or there are too many misfits that they overflow on to other teams. Every team has them now.

akvikefan89
09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I can't believe we sigined this guy....If his attitude gets in the way at all, cut him. We just got rid of a WR who was a cancer...

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Latest article from the star tribune: http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5598229.html

Deadly_Diabetic
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I have to admit that this signing concerns me a little. I honestly hope that he has learned from his mistakes and is going to make a better life for himself but even if he lives up to his potential then we've got another talented reciever without a running game. I think we should've spent some of that money on trying to secure a good pound it up the middle back like Lamar Gordon. Having the most talented receiving corp in the league doesn't mean a thing if the opposing DC knows to play against the pass all game.

I really, REALLY hope that K-Rob and our running backs prove me wrong on this but I'm still worried!

-DD

akvikefan89
09-06-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm reading up on him, and it looks as though he has had drinking problems, but never had any problems in college. The team seems exited to get him. Apparently, he is on re-hab... This could turn out to be a great move....or a very bad one....time will tell...

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

Latest article from the star tribune: http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5598229.html

Thanks Smooty. Ya just made me feel a lot better about the entire situation.

"The drunken driving arrest was only the latest problem for Robinson, the ninth overall pick in the 2001 draft by Seattle. He was suspended for four games last season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning his next positive drug test would lead to a one-year suspension, and he also served a Seahawks-imposed suspension for two other games after missing team meetings."

He will be sitting with O-Smith bagging groceries soon enough. If he can't show up to court without drinking when facing a suspened sentence for an entire year, no way he avoids his next strike against the NFL substance abuse policy.

Webby
09-06-2005, 07:51 AM
He's already been suspended for four games for substance abuse too, meaning he's a few strikes in the NFL.

Hell, you know what? I hope he rocks. I hope he blows the doors off the opponents. Let's go KROB! Skol!

Nothing we can do now but cheer like hell now that all the facts are out and everyone knows what we are facing with him.

Culpepper drops back to pass...sees Krob streaking down the sideline....bomb...bomb to k, bomb to k, Touchdown!!

(maybe its the Tylenol PM kicking in)

RandyMoss8404
09-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Ahahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahahaha

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 07:54 AM
"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:

I have to admit that this signing concerns me a little. I honestly hope that he has learned from his mistakes and is going to make a better life for himself but even if he lives up to his potential then we've got another talented reciever without a running game. I think we should've spent some of that money on trying to secure a good pound it up the middle back like Lamar Gordon. Having the most talented receiving corp in the league doesn't mean a thing if the opposing DC knows to play against the pass all game.

I really, REALLY hope that K-Rob and our running backs prove me wrong on this but I'm still worried!

-DD

Lamar Gordon wouldn't be much of an answer to our running woes. With the way our O-line blocked in preseason, it wouldn't matter who we had at RB, it would be a struggle to run the football. It's the O-line that needs to improve, and that will come with time. This is a new unit plauing together and they have to gell, just as our D does.

We have a good combo at RB with moe and fason as our inside runners, and MM and bennett as our outside guys. If we can block realitivly decent, we should be fine running the ball, especially if we can use our WR's to spread the field and defense, and run the ball then. With the talent we have at WR, we can put WR's out there that will keep defenses from putting all their guys in the box to stop the run, like when we had moss, and that will open up the run for us. It hasn't happened yet this preseason, but we will see it hapen during the regular season, when our passing offense comes out blazing.

cajunvike
09-06-2005, 07:55 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

Ah but as you just said, we are struggling to run the football, wether it be because of the RB's or because of the O-lineman. There really isn't much for help out there right now, as far as improving our running game, so maybe instead we bolster our receiving corp even more, to open up the run. We are obviously gonna be a team that uses the pass to open up the run, so this would help us there. And if we can't run the football any better this year, we have the tools to be a crazy deadly passing offense, even better then last year's.

I agree that the run offense is a big concern for us after this preseason, but with no real help out there for our run game, this may be the best thing for our run offense or the best thing for our overall offense.

It isn't costing us a lot and if he messes up, we all know he will be quickly gone, with us still having 4 very good WR's.

I personally like the move, but again, only as long as he doesn't get in the way and stunt williamson's growth.

'Nuff said...nothing else to add because you just hit the nails on the head...we need a solid running game and a solid defense to win the Super Bowl...without either, we do not win it all!

jackyl
09-06-2005, 08:02 AM
It's a low risk/high payoff move. Good deal for the Vikes

DaunteHOF
09-06-2005, 08:03 AM
4 receiver plays? hmmmmmm....

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Like I said before, Kelly Cambell and Koren Robinson both have their off field troubles. So who is better on the field? I bet there wouldn't be an uproar if we kept Kelly Cambell as our 5th WR, with his troubles, so why the big deal about Koren coming in to try and turn his career around as our 5th WR, at least to start the season? It's not like it's a huge deal if we have to cut him week 2 or 3 if he messes up.

We aren't bring him in here to be a star or a starter, that's the big kicker to me. He is here to be our 4th or 5th WR and to try to turn his career around.

To me the guy is now a Viking and what he has done before he became a viking doesn't matter. It is what he does while representing the vikings organization, that matters to me. If he got help and has truely changed, then we got a steal and someone to really help out our team.

michaelmazid
09-06-2005, 08:05 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

I agree, this guy has a lot to prove. He should be a great pickup for us. Plus we can't really count on travis taylor and marcus robinson that much. They are good but we are going into uncharted territory without Moss and nate needs all the help he can get.

TheAnimal93
09-06-2005, 08:25 AM
If I am the Prez of the "never can have too many running backs club", Tice must be the Prez of the "never can have too many WR's club"!!
:roll:
Can we sign Clarett too while we are at it?
I bet he will play for next to nothing too.

How many WR's does it take to replace a Randy Moss?
Gee Tennessee......How many Wr's does it take to replace a Randy Moss?
I dont know Chumley....Lets go ask Mr. Peabody, he will know!!!!!
:lol:

Ddawg84
09-06-2005, 08:29 AM
HERE'S TO YOU, MR. ROBINSON
Barring the unforeseen, the talented and troubled wide receiver Koren Robinson will wind up signing with the Vikings this week.

As of now, Robinson has all but agreed to a contract with Minnesota. In the end, it is likely to be a two-year deal. There still are some minor hoops to jump through, but the contract is now all but done for Seattle's former first-round draft choice.

Robinson spent Labor Day in Minnesota, working out for and impressing Vikings officials. After the workout, the two sides began figuring out whether they could get a contract done and made enough progress that it now would be a major upset if it didn't get done.

In Minnesota, Robinson will have a built-in support system. Vikings cornerback Brian Williams was his college teammate at North Carolina State.

As soon as Minnesota finalizes the deal, Robinson will be eligible to play right away; Robinson has served his league-mandated suspensions. His contract for this season also will be guaranteed, as Robinson is a vested veteran.

And should the 25-year-old Robinson get past his personal demons, the Vikings will have one of the scariest, youngest pass-catching tandems in the game -- Robinson and first-round pick Troy Williamson.

This was in the NFL News headlines By Adam Schefter....

That makes me like this deal a lot more, that little part about how he really impressed the staff when he worked out for them is a good thing to hear. Plus like they said in the article having Brian Williams there might actually help him fly right...
and that last part about a scary young tandem in Koren and Troy gives me goose bumbs!!! go vikes.... there is also a nice little column right below the robinson one, on Travis Taylor!!!

SKOL
09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
"TheAnimal93" wrote:

Can we sign Clarett too while we are at it?
I bet he will play for next to nothing too.

I'm with you on this. At this point we need RB help more than WR.

ThaSuperFreak33
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't think he is going to turn out that bad. He has superstar potential and with Culpepper tossin him the ball what more could u ask for. He just has to get his mind on football not booze until we win the Super Bowl. Plus Brian Williams is going to be his counselor. He will turn out.

UTVikfan
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I usually support Tice and Co. with their decisions. This one completely baffles me. I understand the whys, but ......still. Can he catch passes when he is dry? Thats all I can figure.
Also, the Jets, that I have seen, and the Steelers also, couldn't run the ball in the preseason. Ummm, its preseason.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
"Ddawg84" wrote:

HERE'S TO YOU, MR. ROBINSON
Barring the unforeseen, the talented and troubled wide receiver Koren Robinson will wind up signing with the Vikings this week.

As of now, Robinson has all but agreed to a contract with Minnesota. In the end, it is likely to be a two-year deal. There still are some minor hoops to jump through, but the contract is now all but done for Seattle's former first-round draft choice.

Robinson spent Labor Day in Minnesota, working out for and impressing Vikings officials. After the workout, the two sides began figuring out whether they could get a contract done and made enough progress that it now would be a major upset if it didn't get done.

In Minnesota, Robinson will have a built-in support system. Vikings cornerback Brian Williams was his college teammate at North Carolina State.

As soon as Minnesota finalizes the deal, Robinson will be eligible to play right away; Robinson has served his league-mandated suspensions. His contract for this season also will be guaranteed, as Robinson is a vested veteran.

And should the 25-year-old Robinson get past his personal demons, the Vikings will have one of the scariest, youngest pass-catching tandems in the game -- Robinson and first-round pick Troy Williamson.

This was in the NFL News headlines By Adam Schefter....

That makes me like this deal a lot more, that little part about how he really impressed the staff when he worked out for them is a good thing to hear. Plus like they said in the article having Brian Williams there might actually help him fly right...
and that last part about a scary young tandem in Koren and Troy gives me goose bumbs!!! go vikes.... there is also a nice little column right below the robinson one, on Travis Taylor!!!

Yeah that also excites me. To see that NFL analysts are giving us credit for the pick up makes me happy. Plus Tice and co. were impressed by the workout. That is always good. :grin:

RandyMoss8404
09-06-2005, 02:44 PM
When the balls in your hands K-Ro drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

When the game's on the line K-Ro drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

When Daunte's tryin to give it to you drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

I got a flask on my arm and I'm pouring Chondon

And Kelly and I smoke weed cuz we got it goin on

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 02:50 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

When the balls in your hands K-Ro drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

When the game's on the line K-Ro drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

When Daunte's tryin to give it to you drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot

At least give him a chance before you go Cajun on him. :lol:

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 03:22 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

I agree, this guy has a lot to prove. He should be a great pickup for us. Plus we can't really count on travis taylor and marcus robinson that much. They are good but we are going into uncharted territory without Moss and nate needs all the help he can get.
nate seemed be doing good all preseason without Koren Robinson. Also we don't know if we're going to be able to count on Robinson, anymore than we know that we can count on Taylor, Marcus Robinson can and will make plays for us, just cuz he gets injuried often doesn't mean he won't make any plays for us down the stretch.

DaScRuM
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, I hope there is a little bit more to this than we know---as fans. I hope Koren is wiping the sweat off of his brow and realizing how lucky he is. Many of us in the "real world" don't get chances like that.

whackthepack
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
As long as he is not a problem and is not a cancer in the locker room, give him a chance.

Maybe if he is able to stop drinking, maybe the drop pass problem will go away.

I would rather have Koren then kelly Campbell.

And if they can work the problems out having Nate, Travis, Troy & Koren would give us a young and fast receiving core.

And if Koren can return punts or kickoffs would be a huge plus!

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 03:54 PM
personally i'd rather have Campbell than Howry. i've never seen Howry do anything on the field except wave his hand in the air for a fair catch, and if that's all he's doing we're paying him a lot of money for that. Campbell does occasioally make plays. i hope Koren does well, i'm just not a fan of this move at all, yah there is high reward/low risk involved, but we could have used that spot on the roster and the money for a position we needed more.

PAvikesfan
09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
man, what tha?! i am really suprised i didn't see any news on this on NFL network last night. well, interesting how the vikes are still making moves all the way up till game time.

i think he'll be fine here... i am not really sure how he fits in when we have a crapload of decent recievers but....hey, what is a dumb monkey-tice to do.

mnjamie
09-06-2005, 05:42 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Classic ... Thanks for making me laugh.

Mr. Purple
09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
All this talk about us needing running back help. Having, Bennett, Memo, Fason, Moe Williams isnt enough? there is so much potential. Our only downfall is that thier yet to be proven. and well thats what the season is for. We all know how memo played last year...so lets wait it out and see how it goes

cajunvike
09-06-2005, 06:12 PM

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

At least give him a chance before you go Cajun on him. :lol:

Hey now, don't be knockin' my proteges! :lol:

Mad props, 8404!!!

VKG4LFE
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I can't wait until he starts dropping passes, that's gonna be awesome!! Are you picking up on my sarcasm, cuz I'm layin' it on pretty thick!?

Justin311
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
If i moved from North Carolina and had to play in Seattle I would be drinking like a fish and hittin the hippy lettuce too.

I'd like to say give this guys a second chance but he's already on strike 2 in the NFL's policy. But like many have stated before its quite possible his dropped balls and overall lack of performing up to his potential lead to his increased drug and alcohol problem. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but having a family member currently going through recovery I can tell you I applaud Koren for taking a step many people never do and that is admitting his demons and going into a recovery program.

Im sure the past year has been a tough one for him menatlly and spiritually. The Vikings have had a good core group of guys who use thri faith to keep folks on the straight and narrow and with Daunte firmly in place as the team leader i think it only bodes well for K-rob.

If I had just left a rehab center clean and sober for 8 weeks and ready to start a new chapter in my life and the first team to call me and support me was the Vikings I would be motivated to prove something too.

IMHO i don't think this makes any bad commentary on the WR depth or the running game. It was still preseason and the time for raising concerns is put more to good use after the Bucs game.

Its a questionable move at best, but like it was said earlier its a low risk/high reward move. 2 million in the NFL is chump change and he can just as easily be cut as the next guy. But from where I am sitting i root for the man to make his life better off the field just as much as i do for him being a success on the field.

VKG4LFE
09-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know if he is going to be a starter or is he the 4th/5th receiver for us?

Ltrey33
09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
I always like having another weapon, but I just don't get it! I think it's a good move, cuz I'm happy to see another good guy for C-Pep to throw to, but I just don't know how we're going to work it out. I hope there are enough passes to go around.

mnvikes61
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
i really can't see him starting for us VKG, he still needs to learn the playbook. he'll probaly be in on our 4 receiver sets, and i imagine he'll be returning punt returns and kick offs. if he starts it won't be probaly for a couple weeks, and that's only if he proves he can catch the ball and keep his life in line off the field. because he would have to do better than M.Robinson and T. Taylor. he might be able to jump over M.Rob easily, but the way Taylor has been playing this preseason i really don't see that happening unless he falls completely off the table.

VKG4LFE
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too mnvikes, but you never know I guess!!

Vikes11KicksButt
09-06-2005, 06:53 PM
vkg4lfe hes being brought to be a 4th or a 5th guy to start out, however, you don't give a guy a bunch or preformance based incentives if you don't plan on giving him a shot, so basically its going to come down to koren robinson prefromance to decide where he be on the depth chart, essentially spots 2-6 are gonna be open all year, because no one is yet to truely seperate themselves from the pack. taylor and robinson are running a tight race with taylor having a small lead, and williamson could see more time if he progress, and koren will be in the sam boat if he can return to form he could be a starter, basically only kelly campbell isnt in the running for the 2 spot.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-06-2005, 08:19 PM
"Justin311" wrote:

If i moved from North Carolina and had to play in Seattle I would be drinking like a fish and hittin the hippy lettuce too.

I'd like to say give this guys a second chance but he's already on strike 2 in the NFL's policy. But like many have stated before its quite possible his dropped balls and overall lack of performing up to his potential lead to his increased drug and alcohol problem. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but having a family member currently going through recovery I can tell you I applaud Koren for taking a step many people never do and that is admitting his demons and going into a recovery program.

Im sure the past year has been a tough one for him menatlly and spiritually. The Vikings have had a good core group of guys who use thri faith to keep folks on the straight and narrow and with Daunte firmly in place as the team leader i think it only bodes well for K-rob.

If I had just left a rehab center clean and sober for 8 weeks and ready to start a new chapter in my life and the first team to call me and support me was the Vikings I would be motivated to prove something too.

IMHO i don't think this makes any bad commentary on the WR depth or the running game. It was still preseason and the time for raising concerns is put more to good use after the Bucs game.

Its a questionable move at best, but like it was said earlier its a low risk/high reward move. 2 million in the NFL is chump change and he can just as easily be cut as the next guy. But from where I am sitting i root for the man to make his life better off the field just as much as i do for him being a success on the field.

Well written. I am all for giving the guy another shot.

Big C
09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I think we primarily got him for another red-zone target. We ear-marked MRob as our Redzone go-to-guy but he didn't meet our expectations in pre-season. He didn't come down with a single jump ball.

Cambell will miss the whole season so we need a good #5 reciever. Especially since we're going to be a pass-first offense. Also, it is quality depth just in case one our WRs gets injured. No one thought Moss would ever get injured last season. We can't place all our bets on Burleson.

I eventually think it's a good move. I predict Howry to get cut.

VKG4LFE
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Screw throwing jump balls to MRob, get Daunte rolling out and hit Burleson somehow! Besides Burleson could probably out jump Robinson, if we throw jump balls to anybody he should be the guy.

V-Unit
09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
All Krob is going to do is take chances away from TWill. That pisses me off.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I think you are right. Hopefully TWill will dominate right away so nobody can take reps from him.

Jviking
09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I dont see this as being such a bad move. The more the merrier they say. I will be dissapointed if troy takes a back seat, but I don't think this will be the case. Give culpepper the weapons and he will give us the "W's".
I think we will see nate #1, taylor #2, m-rob#3, t-will #4, k-rob #5...We still have two tight ends that can catch and score...We are looking good on paper my friends.

Del Rio
09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
What I want to know is where is the run game? Where is an attempt to even remotely effect the run game?

If I defend the Vikings right now all I do is put heavy pressure on Pepper through stunts and blitzes from the corner while playing a pass defense. If the LB isn't blitzing he is playing QB spy.

The run game is going to be hurting in a bad way. I don't think we can be succesful without it.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 10:06 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I don't think so. K-Rob was brought in to be a deep threat receiver until Troy is ready to take over. He's also in there to provide depth and security in case one of our other receivers gets hurt.

PurplePackerEater
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

The "cream" will rise to the top. If Troy isn't the great reciever we all hope he is, it won't be because of Koren! :roll:

whackthepack
09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

What I want to know is where is the run game? Where is an attempt to even remotely effect the run game?

If I defend the Vikings right now all I do is put heavy pressure on Pepper through stunts and blitzes from the corner while playing a pass defense. If the LB isn't blitzing he is playing QB spy.

The run game is going to be hurting in a bad way. I don't think we can be succesful without it.

I do see our running game or lack there of as our biggest concern!

I wish that in the offseason we would have picked-up a running back that could have carried the load.

I think of one of the 3 top backs in the draft would have been available at 7 we would have taken anyone of them.

Do not get me wrong, I am more than happy that we have Troy!! And I well enjoy watching him play for the next 12 or 13 years!

PurplePackerEater
09-06-2005, 10:20 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I agree whole heartedly! All the focus is on the kickers, punters, wide recievers, ect... Where is the run game going to come from and what "can" be done about it??

Del Rio
09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I do see our running game or lack there of as our biggest concern!

I wish that in the offseason we would have picked-up a running back that could have carried the load.

I think of one of the 3 top backs in the draft would have been available at 7 we would have taken anyone of them.

Do not get me wrong, I am more than happy that we have Troy!! And I well enjoy watching him play for the next 12 or 13 years!

I like the draft it went well.
I'm not on the inside, and I don't have access to any privledged information. To me it seems like a total neglect of the problem. Maybe almost to the point of the staff being paranoid of the loss of Moss and trying to overcompensate with more WR's.

I don't want to sound like I don't think Memo can handle it, or Bennett even. I think Tice and Co. are shooting themselves in the foot by avoiding a dire need.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM

"Del Rio" wrote:

I agree whole heartedly! All the focus is on the kickers, punters, wide recievers, ect... Where is the run game going to come from and what "can" be done about it??

The thing that I see is that there isn't much we can do about it. It isn't the RB's IMO. They have all proved (at least Bennett and Memo) that they can be very effective in the right circumstances. So both Bennett and Memo are capable backs in the right system. (Please no Bennett vs. Memo talk in this thread). The problem we have is our O-line is run blocking very well. But there aren't any Pro-Bowl guards on waivers right now, so there's not much Tice can do about it. Hopefully, as the season goes on, some of our younger guys on the line can improve (especially MJ) in their run blocking.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Here is an article about him signing today. I like that "the cream will rise to the top" I think that will hold true.

Read:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/12568952.htm

PurplePackerEater
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

The thing that I see is that there isn't much we can do about it. It isn't the RB's IMO. They have all proved (at least Bennett and Memo) that they can be very effective in the right circumstances. So both Bennett and Memo are capable backs in the right system. (Please no Bennett vs. Memo talk in this thread). The problem we have is our O-line is run blocking very well. But there aren't any Pro-Bowl guards on waivers right now, so there's not much Tice can do about it. Hopefully, as the season goes on, some of our younger guys on the line can improve (especially MJ) in their run blocking.

What about a trade for a RB? Or is it the line? :???:

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM

"Del Rio" wrote:

What about a trade for a RB? Or is it the line? ???I feel that it definitely is the line. With Birk gone, and a rookie starting at RG, and Rosenthal hasn't played in a year, I think they're struggling to gel as a unit.

Del Rio
09-06-2005, 10:42 PM

"Del Rio" wrote:

What about a trade for a RB? Or is it the line? :???:

I wouldn't personally blame the line, there is no excuse to be that bad at run blocking unless it isn't stressed. I am more of the opinion that the coaches do not intend to use the run to move the chains. They have a very limited number of runs that they hope will break a big gain.

Then again the line has been bad at pass blocking too. I think the only you can do is accept we aren't a run team and hope the stars align for us to make an explosive run.

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
On a team it is important that everyone has a role so they know what they are to (play) expect.

More the merrier is not always the best.

When Moss was in the house, everyone else knew their role, watch Moss and if he is not catching the ball, then you need to be looking for the ball.

When Moss left, it was a perfect situation for Burley, Taylor, M-Rob, and T-Will to step up. If M-Rob is not involved, he gets stale.

VKG4LFE
09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I think Daunte should just run everytime! lol

snowinapril
09-06-2005, 11:39 PM
With this much talent at WR, why did we take a WR at no. 7?

It is something that could be second guessed for a long time.

There have been so many WRs out there, Burress, K-Rob, Price, A.Bryant, and Freddie(ha ha) Mitchell.

I am so glad that we didn't pursue Plax with the money he wanted. It has worked out great for us the way we have done things. Let's just hope that the K-Rob thing works out too.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
We took a WR at #7 because none of these guys are really a long term answer (except for maybe Burleson). Taylor and Robinson (both of them) are here to help us win Super Bowl XL and maybe XLI. But Williamson will be around Minny for a long time and will help the Vikings win many games for years to come.

douginc
09-07-2005, 12:14 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

AMEN! :!::hello1:

Is it just me, or does it seem like our O-line has been drafted, signed, and bred for the sole purpose of pass blocking? I think Matt Birk, who is now injured, was our only great pulling blocker for running plays. Is there any chance we could pick up a free-agent run blocker, is anyone worth anything available? I know we cut Nat Dorsey for a new G/C, hopefully he'll be good at opening up 1/2 of the game's offensive strategy.

snowinapril
09-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Where is "The Dix"on?

Wasn't he semi retired?

Can he come back and do the job?

Anyone know the skinny?

douginc
09-07-2005, 12:24 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Where is "The Dix"on?

Wasn't he semi retired?

Anyone know the skinny?

That's a great idea, I forgot about the Dixie boy. He was huge and the man seemed to have that football drive, like he really cared about the game. He'd be a good pick-up.......er, bring back.

kramer9guy
09-07-2005, 12:32 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Where is "The Dix"on?

Wasn't he semi retired?

Anyone know the skinny?

Dixon was playing some pretty good ball the early to mid part of last season. I'd like to see him back. Here is what I could find on him:

Cardinals | Contacted Dixon Several Weeks Ago
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:34:50 -0700

Mike Fermoyle, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent/retired OL David Dixon says he was contacted by Arizona Cardinals assistant coach Everett Lindsay several weeks back about the possibility of returning to the NFL. Dixon, for the time being, remains unofficially retired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Dixon Says Team Hasn't Called
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:15:43 -0700

Mike Fermoyle, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent/retired OL David Dixon says he hasn't had any contact with Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice about a possible comeback. Tice has dropped hints in newspapers recently that he might like to see Dixon return, although the coach said Monday, Aug. 15, that he wasn't "going to give him a call yet."

ChiTownVike
09-07-2005, 01:17 AM
this is the first time i read about this (Wow im not in on whats happening)
I think it is a good pickup, he can be a good #2 reciever if he can catch the ball like he did as a viking

KWILL93
09-07-2005, 01:20 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Where is "The Dix"on?

Wasn't he semi retired?

Anyone know the skinny?

I thought I remember seeing a story about him doing some coaching for a Local(MN) HS team Roseville or Burnsville. I can't remember the school. And Basically just taking life easy for now.

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 01:21 AM
i think we should definately call Dixon up. we are pretty young up front on the o-line.

KWILL93
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM
But getting back to Koren, I was at first kind of questioning this deal but I guess now I look at it as a "nothing to loose" type of situation. But I guess my question is outside of depth why keep Howery around. He sucks at returning Kicks and if you were going to get someone who could just return kicks then why did we cut Lee, and I know that there are a few other KR/PR out there. Chicago just cut one and I forget the rest of the ones out there otherwise if we are looking for some one who could contribute then I would use Hoag who at least could play ST and even though he will never be a nfl starter he would contribute. ANd give 100% all of the time.

josdin00
09-07-2005, 03:56 AM
From foxsports.com fantasy page (I forgot to copy the link). They think that K.Rob will end up as the Vikes #3 WR, and the primary deep threat.

After Robinson showed up drunk to jail in July, forcing another trial and an extra day in prison, we thought his 2005 season was all but over. Robinson was clearly a young man dealing with problems that went far beyond football.

We should have known better than to underestimate the NFL's willingness to look past off-field issues in the name of talent. The Vikings have reportedly worked out a two-year deal with Robinson. Robinson has completed a 30-day, 12-step rehab program and looks ready to go. He wowed Minnesota coaches at a private workout Monday. "Can you imagine if we sign this kid?" coach Mike Tice wondered aloud.

Tice's wish came true. Robinson could be ready to play by Week 2. For Minnesota, it's a low-risk, high-reward gamble worth taking. The team is obviously not satisfied with Marcus Robinson and Troy Williamson as prime deep threats right now, so Koren Robinson could quickly become Minnesota's third receiver.

The most surprising news to emerge from the situation is that Robinson won't face another league suspension. This information came from Robinson's agent, but we have no reason to doubt him. That's why we recommend grabbing Robinson in your fantasy leagues if he is still available. As a waiver pickup or flyer draft pick, why not take a shot? The price is right, and that's exactly what the Vikings are thinking.

dr feelgood
09-07-2005, 04:06 AM
I think the minimum for a four year veteran is around $550,000 so we got him cheap. Can't hurt to try him and this releves pressure from #19 and cambell can go to IR.

DaunteHOF
09-07-2005, 04:13 AM
#1 good move to get Robinson, just keep subbing in good receivers and the cornerbacks get no rest.

#2 about our running game, Moore needs to start he's our best back only reason he's not starting because he complained about an ankle injury and Tice thinks he's soft. With Bennet starting look at more HB stretch and tosses so run blocking should be enough.

DaunteHOF
09-07-2005, 04:23 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/koren_robinson.html

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 04:26 AM
good read Daunte, thanks for the information. even though i don't agree with the pick up i hope the vikes and him succeed together.

Toro
09-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Didn't this guy drop a lot of balls in Seattle?

DemonicViking
09-07-2005, 04:31 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

There have been so many WRs out there, Burress, K-Rob, Price, A.Bryant, and Freddie(ha ha) Mitchell.

I am so glad that we didn't pursue Plax with the money he wanted. It has worked out great for us the way we have done things. Let's just hope that the K-Rob thing works out too.

Agreed, I didn't think it was the biggest need, might as well accept it now.. good as a spare in case someone goes down, and as someone just mentioned, a change of pace to keep the passing game flowing.. but how much will this reduce the amount of snaps Williamson gets??

akvikefan89
09-07-2005, 04:32 AM
"Toro" wrote:

Not that I know of. In his scout report the scout said he reminded him of Lynn Swan :grin:

jackyl
09-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor still have every chance to be a "long term good WR" as Troy Williamson does...

Taylor was the 10th pick overall in 2000, the 3rd receiver taken and is 4 years older than Williamson.

Robinson was the 9th pick overall in 2001, the 2nd receiver taken and is only 2 years older than Williamson.

akvikefan89
09-07-2005, 04:39 AM
"DemonicViking" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Agreed, I didn't think it was the biggest need, might as well accept it now.. good as a spare in case someone goes down, and as someone just mentioned, a change of pace to keep the passing game flowing.. but how much will this reduce the amount of snaps Williamson gets??
Well, He is very Fast.
I think this hurts Marcus Robinson more than Troy. Troy was supposed to be mainly a 3rd and long WR this year so on third and long it might look like:

1. Nate the Great
2. K-Rob
3. Troy
(if needed) 4. Marcus/Taylor

With Goal line looking like this perhaps:

1. Nate
2. Marcus
3. TT
(if needed) 4. K-Rob

Normally I think it looks like this:

1. Nate
2. TT (I think K-Rob could wind up here if he works hard this season)
3. K-Rob
4. Marcus/Troy (depending on yardage situation)

This could (and probably will) change as the season goes on. Just my 2 cents.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 04:41 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor still have every chance to be a "long term good WR" as Troy Williamson does...

Taylor was the 10th pick overall in 2000, the 3rd receiver taken and is 4 years older than Williamson.

Robinson was the 9th pick overall in 2001, the 2nd receiver taken and is only 2 years older than Williamson.I have the feeling though that never of them will be. Not that they don't have the talent, but because I feel they are both using the Vikings as springboards for career advancement elsewhere. And that leaves the door open for Williamson to move into one of the top 2 spots.

jackyl
09-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Williamson may very well go the way of Randy as well. Noone is a lock to stay anywhere long term, unless you're a great QB. Williamson included.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 04:48 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

"DemonicViking" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Well, He is very Fast.
I think this hurts Marcus Robinson more than Troy. Troy was supposed to be mainly a 3rd and long WR this year so on third and long it might look like:

1. Nate the Great
2. K-Rob
3. Troy
(if needed) 4. Marcus/Taylor

With Goal line looking like this perhaps:

1. Nate
2. Marcus
3. TT
(if needed) 4. K-Rob

Normally I think it looks like this:

1. Nate
2. TT (I think K-Rob could wind up here if he works hard this season)
3. K-Rob
4. Marcus/Troy (depending on yardage situation)

This could (and probably will) change as the season goes on. Just my 2 cents.

I agree pretty much with those lineups. I don't think Troy was ever supposed to have much of an impact his year. I really think people are doubting M-Rob too much. The guy was pretty good for us last year and he's played very well in preseason. He'll start week 1 as the #3 receiver and I think he'll keep that role until Koren proves that he deserves it - I don't think he'll simply be given the role in week 2.

sitandbehitski
09-07-2005, 05:52 AM
I wish we had kept the hard-working, less-flashy Ryan Hoag, and hadn't signed Robinson, that said it all depends on how hard he works and how much he want's it, Just joining the team, he probably won't play for awhile, but when he does, if he play's well, and gets his alcohol problem under control, good for him, and more importantly.

(After reading that sentence [yes it's a sentance, not one period in the middle there] an english/grammer teacher just died) :D

Turboe
09-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I just heard the tidbit on Sports Center about the Vikes picking up Koren Robinson, and the mentioned that he still has a 4 game suspension to serve. I didnt know that. I am sure it is buried in one of the many pages of Koren stuff already posted, but I have neither the time or patience to look for it.

But was everyone aware that he had this suspension to serve? Will it be the first four games for sure, or like baseball can you appeal and hold it off for a while?

I knew of all the off field issues with him, but I guess I didnt know about the suspension. Is that for drug policy? If so was it just the DUI or is there another drug involved as well?

ultravikingfan
09-07-2005, 06:32 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

Williamson may very well go the way of Randy as well. Noone is a lock to stay anywhere long term, unless you're a great QB. Williamson included.

Get out!

:lol:

hawaiianvike21
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
"Turboe" wrote:

I just heard the tidbit on Sports Center about the Vikes picking up Koren Robinson, and the mentioned that he still has a 4 game suspension to serve. I didnt know that. I am sure it is buried in one of the many pages of Koren stuff already posted, but I have neither the time or patience to look for it.

But was everyone aware that he had this suspension to serve? Will it be the first four games for sure, or like baseball can you appeal and hold it off for a while?

I knew of all the off field issues with him, but I guess I didnt know about the suspension. Is that for drug policy? If so was it just the DUI or is there another drug involved as well?

Wow thats the first time ive heard he got a four game suspension. Not good for the 1/4 part of the season. :???: Oh well i think we can manage without him for t hat long.

SamDawg84
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
lol ultra... it feels weird to have koren..... but i dont care that we have him... and i heard we finally cut kelly campell

SamDawg84
09-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I think he served his suspension last year for the drug suspension.. I could be wrong though.. But I heard he was playing against Cinci.. (week 2)

BBQ Platypus
09-07-2005, 03:47 PM
It'll be very interesting to see how he turns out. This is either going to be a total steal and a big boost for our team or a hideous failure leading to the ruination of our team. Let's hope this gamble pays off.

snowinapril
09-07-2005, 03:47 PM
"Turboe" wrote:

I don't think that is correct. He served the 4 game suspension at the end of last season. If he gets into any more problems, he is gone for a year.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

whackthepack
09-07-2005, 03:58 PM
You are correct Snowapril!!

He already served a 4 game suspension.

This is a reach but remember that Chris Carter cam out of Philly with issues and turned his life around and became a Hall Of Famer!

It would be great to have history repeat itself, if it will probably not!

DaunteHOF
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
like I said WR depth is a plus, while it's the 3rd quarter and the starting CBs are getting there rest to play in the 4th quarter we'll have starter material WRs out there for touchdowns and long yardage....

douginc
09-07-2005, 04:49 PM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

"Toro" wrote:

Not that I know of. In his scout report the scout said he reminded him of Lynn Swan :grin:

My brother had him on his Fantasy Football team a few years back, so he watched intently, and he said the man was like the greased-up deaf guy from Family Guy, everything slipped past him. He was dropping balls all over the place. He is enraged by this pick-up. I, however, think we have a great WR coaching staff, I mean, I don't think Nate was so Great when we first got him, not saying he wasn't dmn good, but he dropped balls a lot when he started and now he's gotten much, much better. I think our staff can do a lot with talent, and I believe Koren has a lot of ability that our staff might be able to pull out of him. Look at the MN Twins pitching coach, Rick Andersen. Whoever the Twins get, turn into pitching studs, Joe Nathan was a nobody in SF. I think coaching has a lot to do with player progression.

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I still think that if you are a WR and you consistently drop passes that hit your freaking hands you have no buisiness playing lol. Quite a few of Hasselbecks interceptions came from his own recivers tipping passes into the air.

Fresh start for K. Robinson, so we will see. He has been bad the past few years though.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I still think that if you are a WR and you consistently drop passes that hit your freaking hands you have no buisiness playing lol. Quite a few of Hasselbecks interceptions came from his own recivers tipping passes into the air.

Fresh start for K. Robinson, so we will see. He has been bad the past few years though.Not really. He really only had one bad year. He had a huge breakout second year, with 1200 yards. Then, Seattle fans were expecting him to become a Randy Moss type player, but he only got 800 yards the next year. Which really isn't a bad year. Then, last year, with his suspension-shortened season, he only had 400 yards, and he dropped a lot of passes (just like all the other Seattle receivers). But from what I heard from reading stuff and from Seattle fans, he really REALLY picked it up this year in mini-camp - he was looking real good, but he didn't have a contract. Until now. :lol:

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Well I guess it's all how you like to look at it, you could say he had one fluke good year or you can say he has had a few poor years. I think he's going to have to have a pretty solid year to justify wasting a roster spot on another wide out.

FuadFan
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Keeping Kelly Campbell would have been wasting a roster spot this move could be a really good one.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Give K Rob the drunk a chance, if he sucks then rip him. It could turn out to be a good move. I was asking myself why did they replace a trouble guy (Kelly) with another (Koren). Then I thought that you get in less trouble drinking and driving than smoking and having a stolen gun.

smootpepper
09-07-2005, 06:18 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

This is a reach but remember that Chris Carter cam out of Philly with issues and turned his life around and became a Hall Of Famer!

A bit of a reach?

The only difference is the knock on cris carter at the time was as Buddy put it "all he does is catch touchdowns, he cant do anything else". The knock on Koren Robinson is "all he does is drop touchdowns, he cant do anything else". :smile:

But I still hope he does good here, and at very least gets his life turned around.

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
I know Tice is a good coach to help people get their lives straightened out. He will help them out as long as they give him their SB tickets so he can make some cash on the side :grin:

ShanePurpleBlood
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
"smootpepper" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

A bit of a reach?

The only difference is the knock on cris carter at the time was as Buddy put it "all he does is catch touchdowns, he cant do anything else". The knock on Koren Robinson is "all he does is drop touchdowns, he cant do anything else". :smile:

But I still hope he does good here, and at very least gets his life turned around.

The knock on Carter was that he liked boose and drugs (cocaine I think).

mnjamie
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
This article describes to a tee how I feel. It just wasn't worth the risk to bring him in after all the moves to rid the locker room of "disruptive" players and with "team chemistry" looking to be going in the right direction during the preseason and the mini-camps.

Jim Souhan: Latest move seems hardly worth the risk
Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
September 7, 2005 JIMS0907

When Koren Robinson earned a one-year jail term for drunken driving, he was lucky to have 364 days of the sentence suspended, reducing his incarceration period to one day.

That day, he showed up at jail with breath on his alcohol (did I get that wrong?) and got pulled aside by officers.

You can see the Vikings' ads now: Koren Robinson -- Too Drunk for Prison; Just Right for Purple.

After a brief (and hopefully chaperoned) courtship, the Vikings on Tuesday signed Robinson, the former Seattle Seahawks receiver, to a two-year contract. (No word yet whether there's an option year, or a beer chaser.)

Let's review:

The Vikings rid themselves of Randy "I play when I want to play" Moss, and Onterrio "The Original Whizzinator" Smith received a yearlong drug suspension. Both had become chronic headaches and unreliable teammates.

The Vikings drafted Troy Williamson with the seventh pick in the draft to replace Moss' legs and signed Travis Taylor to augment their depth.

The Vikings spent the offseason signing quality guys such as Sam Cowart, Darren Sharper, Fred Smoot and Pat Williams.

The Vikings introduced us to new owner Zygi Wilf, who has threatened to bring an air of dignity to Team Arctic Blast.

The Vikings just concluded a training camp in which the receivers shone and the chemistry clicked.

Tuesday, the Vikings -- who play in a town that has recently rid itself of Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, A.J. Pierzynski, Moss and Smith for crimes against criminal codes, authority figures and aural canals -- spent good money on a headache.

Which, come to think of it, is what drunks do.

Let's review Vikings coach Mike Tice's apparent thought process: I looked him in the eye. The guy's OK.

Twins manager Ray Miller once shared similar thoughts after looking a pitcher in the eye. The pitcher was Steve Howe, who earned a record seven drug-related suspensions.

Tice might not want to implicitly trust Robinson's eyes. Robinson was arrested with a .191 blood-alcohol level in a pair of breath tests (where's an Original Breathinator when you need one?). He claimed in court papers that he consumed alcohol after driving and before taking the breath tests.

You'd need about 10 drinks in an hour to reach .191, and Robinson was tested an hour after he stopped for reckless driving.

In other words, there was a frightening amount of blood in Robinson's alcohol (did I get that wrong?) that night, and he disputes logical assumptions of how it got there.

I'm sure Tice did look Robinson in the eye. But did he smell his breath?

Of course, it's unfair to paint Robinson as a drunk just because he was too drunk to get into jail. He displayed his versatility by also getting suspended for four games last year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning he's one bad test away from a one-year suspension.

Robinson also missed Seahawks team meetings. His excuse, I heard, was "It's 5 o'clock somewhere."

Vikings cornerback Brian Williams vouched for Robinson. But it was Williams who skipped offseason workouts after the Vikings signed Smoot.

As it is, Robinson might go to jail before he plays football again. And we here in Minnesota expect our heroes to play football before going to jail.

This move smacks of desperation. The Seahawks, like the Vikings, are a middling team with a good young quarterback and a coach who is one disappointing year away from broadcasting Arena League games.

Robinson didn't fit there, and now he fits here?

This signing comes a week after the Vikings pursued Peter Warrick, who couldn't make the perennially fungible Cincinnati Bengals.

If the Vikings trusted their top receivers to be productive and healthy, they wouldn't need K-Rob.

They may argue that this is a no-risk move, that they can cut Robinson at the first sign of trouble.

For me, that would be yesterday.

While Robinson was weaving his way back into the league, the greatest receiver in NFL history was retiring.

Jerry Rice is the example Williamson should follow. Rice proved that discipline, work ethic and intelligence matter, and that social drinking is fine, but not on an empty stomach, and not on your way to prison.

UTVikfan
09-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Most of the last part of this thread needs to read the first part of this thread, but redundancy is fun, I guess.

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
This thread is 15 pages long, so that isn't going to be happening anytime soon.

Redundancy would be someone saying the same thing they already said. If you say something that has been said already on page seven but it is the first time you shared that opinion tough titties for the guys who cry about it I guess.

josdin00
09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Redundancy would be someone saying the same thing they already said. It's also taking something you already said, and saying it repeatedly over and over again after you already said it.

Prophet
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
KOREN CONJURES MEMORIES, SORT OF
Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)
7 September 2005

After reading Jim Souhan's side-splitting take (http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5600308.html) on the Vikings' inexplicable decision to sign receiver Koren "Rum and Coke" Robinson to a two-year deal at a time when the rest of the NFL had given up on the guy who showed up for jail with booze on his breath, we couldn't help but think of another pass-catcher with a checkered past on whom the Vikings took a flier a full 15 years ago. And who worked out pretty well.

Does the name Cris Carter ring a bell?

Drafted by the Eagles in the fourth round of the 1987 supplemental draft, Carter had a taste both for booze and blow (http://www.detnews.com/2002/lions/0205/25/sports-495849.htm) during his three seasons in Philly. His abrupt release prior to the 1990 season was a wake up call. When the Vikings game him a second chance, he developed into one of the best receivers in the game.

Like Carter did all those years ago, Robinson claims that he wants to put his problems behind him. (http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5600435.html) Down to his last chance with the Seahawks, a May 6 drunk driving arrest got Koren flushed from the team. He received one day in jail for his 0.191 blood alcohol level, and he reported to serve his 24 hours apparently under the influence. He has a return engagement on September 14 with the judge who previously gave him a slap on the wrist -- and who likely won't be happy with the former star of the N.C. State Wolfpack's decision to throw back a six-pack before heading to the hoosegow.

But even if Robinson has changed (and based on our reading of an interview with him in The Minneapolis Star Tribune we're not completely sure he has), we don't think anyone will confuse Cris and Koren.

Carter had the best pair of hands on any NFL receiver ever, Jerry Rice included. Robinson has displayed over the past year or so that, to put it as kindly as possible, he doesn't.

And that calls to mind the now-infamous quote from former Eagles coach Buddy Ryan, who chose not to tell the world that Carter had been run out of town because of his antics with alcohol and drugs. Instead, Ryan tried his best to attribute the decision to Carter's perceived on-field limitations, saying "All he does is catch touchdowns."

If Seattle coach Mike Holmgren had been inclined to throw a similar bone to Robinson, the Big Show might have said, "All he does is drop touchdowns."

JDogg926
09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Whether you're a fan of his or not, I think it's clear we have by far the best no. 5 WR in the game right now. That and our top 4 are among the best 5 in the league.

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Isn't that kind of like having the best 2nd string punter in the nfl?

I mean if we run sets that get him in the game enough to make a difference it means either we are way behind orwe sent our running backs to go fill up the water bottles :grin:

GreenBaySlackers
09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Isn't that kind of like having the best 2nd string punter in the nfl?

I mean if we run sets that get him in the game enough to make a difference it means either we are way behind orwe sent our running backs to go fill up the water bottles :grin:

its only the same if you draft said punter in the third round :grin:

Del Rio
09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Better yet if some other team drafted him in the 3rd, got sick of him, and you picked him up knowing he would be your 2nd string punter lol :grin:

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Do these guys do research???????? :scratch:

Here's the first paragraph of some article I was just about to read from the Star Trib:

The four highest-ranked offenses in the NFL last season belonged to Kansas City, Indianapolis, Green Bay and Minnesota. But none of them made it past the divisional playoff round, and Kansas City didn't even make the playoffs.

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 09:46 PM

Do these guys do research???????? :scratch:

Here's the first paragraph of some article I was just about to read from the Star Trib:

The four highest-ranked offenses in the NFL last season belonged to Kansas City, Indianapolis, Green Bay and Minnesota. But none of them made it past the divisional playoff round, and Kansas City didn't even make the playoffs.
:lol: it doesn't look that way does it. who wrote the article CVF?

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

Do these guys do research???????? scratch

Here's the first paragraph of some article I was just about to read from the Star Trib

lol it doesn't look that way does it. who wrote the article CVF?Marc Craig

I can't believe that a paper IN MINNESOTA could be that dumb.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5600201.html

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 09:59 PM
well i know at least the Colts made it past the divisional playoff match or at least i was pretty sure about that. Minnesota lost their division game, obviously green bay didn't cuz we kicked their but in the wild card game and he's right that the chiefs didn't make the playoffs.

michaelmazid
09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Whether you're a fan of his or not, I think it's clear we have by far the best no. 5 WR in the game right now. That and our top 4 are among the best 5 in the league.

No. 5? you got to be kidding me. He will be getting alot of playing time this year. He might be the 2nd best after nate.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-07-2005, 10:17 PM
"mnvikes61" wrote:

well i know at least the Colts made it past the divisional playoff match or at least i was pretty sure about that. Minnesota lost their division game, obviously green bay didn't cuz we kicked their but in the wild card game and he's right that the chiefs didn't make the playoffs.

That's what I was saying. I'm almost positive the Colts beat Denver in the divisonals and then lost to NE.

mnvikes61
09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
yah that's right i couldn't remeber if it was last year or the year before that the colts handed Denver their butts. actually it might have been both years :lol: pro denver.

JDogg926
09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

No. 5? you got to be kidding me. He will be getting alot of playing time this year. He might be the 2nd best after nate.

Maybe by mid-season some time, but for now it's

Nate Burleson #1
Travis Taylor #2
Williamson / Robinson #3 and #4 interchangeably. I'm sure Robinson will also be in at times as the 2nd wideout.

Robinson may make it up the depth chart, but not at this point a day after he's signed. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him at all against Tampa.

JDogg926
09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Colts knocked Denver out each of the last 2 years in the wildcard round.

Ltrey33
09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

"michaelmazid" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Maybe by mid-season some time, but for now it's

Nate Burleson #1
Travis Taylor #2
Williamson / Robinson #3 and #4 interchangeably. I'm sure Robinson will also be in at times as the 2nd wideout.

Robinson may make it up the depth chart, but not at this point a day after he's signed. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him at all against Tampa.

He's making his debut against the Saints in week 4.

JDogg926
09-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info, but the Saints game is actually week 3.

Ltrey33
09-08-2005, 12:46 AM
"JDogg926" wrote:

My bad, the article I read said the Saints, I couldn't remember what week.

Anyone know what # Robinson will go with? In madden he picked up 84 (he was 81 in Seattle), think he'll be that daring?

akvikefan89
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Anyone know what # Robinson will go with? In madden he picked up 84 (he was 81 in Seattle), think he'll be that daring?
He should take Kelly's old number :lol: LOL j/k

I think he needs a teen number, WR's look wicked in those IMO.

He should be #17

mnjamie
09-08-2005, 12:51 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

He should take Kelly's old number :lol: LOL j/k

I think he needs a teen number, WR's look wicked in those IMO.

He should be #17

Like the new Sig AK .... just saw this in another article and made me laugh .... Koren "Rum and Coke" Robinson. It stated this is what he was known as in Seattle.

ShanePurpleBlood
09-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Here is another article on him.

Read:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/12577303.htm

I don't think he will take #84. Probably Kelly's number. When Williamson was drafted, his choices were #84 and #19. So that leaves numbers that have been cut to choose from.

Ltrey33
09-08-2005, 02:36 AM
"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

Here is another article on him.

Read:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/12577303.htm

I don't think he will take #84. Probably Kelly's number. When Williamson was drafted, his choices were #84 and #19. So that leaves numbers that have been cut to choose from.

Do they have an 86?

Elkybaby04
09-08-2005, 02:52 AM
His jersey number will be #18. That is what it says on Espn.com. here's the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2154964

vikings6490
09-08-2005, 03:20 AM
"Elkybaby04" wrote:

His jersey number will be #18. That is what it says on Espn.com. here's the link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2154964

That's a good read. I think 18 suits him well

Mr. Purple
09-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Ya very good read...I'm all for this guy if he wants to turn his life around and make somethin outta his talent! Skol