PDA

View Full Version : Bennett released



Ltrey33
09-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Well, it looks like we're gettin a new punter somewhere! Darren Bennett was released today, the day after we released Dorsch. We picked up Chris Kluwe off waivers. Finally! A new punter!

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_RosterMoves9405.html

Jordan
09-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Hallejuah!!!!! this guy is old and washed he kicked a 19 yard punt vs the seahawks that sucks.

Ltrey33
09-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Some info on the new guy:

2004 Ray Guy Award Finalist
Averaged 43 yards per punt last year
19 punts inside the 20 yard line in 2003
Had only 33% of his punts returned in 2004
UCLA's all time leader in yardage and punts

Sounds pretty solid, at least better than Bennett!

kramer9guy
09-05-2005, 04:00 AM
This is great news...

Bennett was a great punter years ago, but he stunk it up the last two seasons. Let's hope this new young guy will have a better rookie season than Eddie Johnson did. :grin:

VikingsFan1989
09-05-2005, 04:11 AM
It's sad how much his career has been washed down the drain in these last few years.

mnjamie
09-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Soooo Sweet, this now has officially made my day ...

Ltrey33
09-05-2005, 04:18 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

This is great news...

Bennett was a great punter years ago, but he stunk it up the last two seasons. Let's hope this new young guy will have a better rookie season than Eddie Johnson did. :grin:

I forgot that guy even existed! lol

RK.
09-05-2005, 04:25 AM
One Bennett down and one to go. :twisted: j/k <---well sort of

Lotza
09-05-2005, 05:13 AM
old man bennet is finally done with the vikes. yes!

natethegreat
09-05-2005, 05:15 AM
yes this is awesome, i was so excited when we got d bennett last year and he has done nothing but go downhill ever since we got him

V4L
09-05-2005, 05:22 AM
If he is bad as Bennett it's still a good move.. Atleast he is young.. So thats a plus there.. I don't see how he can be worse the Bennett too so this is an excellent move!! Now on to getting Koren :)

whackthepack
09-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank God!!!!!!


This made my day!

Every time Bennett punted, it pissed me off! The guy was good in his prime, but he lost something and he didn't seem to care if he punted badly!

Burley81
09-05-2005, 07:18 AM
YES!

ShanePurpleBlood
09-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Yes! He was so inconsistent! It is good to have someone under 40 punting!

ejmat
09-05-2005, 07:28 AM
I;m glad too. He has been way too inconsistent. I don't know much about Kluwe but nothing can be worse than Bennett. I was wondering what was going on when they released Dorsch.

guzziVike
09-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Smart move. Great Salary recoup. That dog don't hunt no more, know what i'm sayin'? If we're going to have a mediocre punting game, it might as well be at a rookie salary. At least we can believe there's hope with someone new. I feel better just having someone younger than Starsky or Hutch booting the ball.

mnvikes61
09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
about time, i was wondering what they were doing when they released Dorshce(spg?) it was sad watching bennett punt these last years, back in the day he was actually a really good punter. hopefully these guy is the answer for our ST play

Lotza
09-05-2005, 06:01 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Some info on the new guy:

2004 Ray Guy Award Finalist
Averaged 43 yards per punt last year
19 punts inside the 20 yard line in 2003
Had only 33% of his punts returned in 2004
UCLA's all time leader in yardage and punts

Sounds pretty solid, at least better than Bennett!

Sounds awesome!!!! hopefully he will eventually turn in to a premier punter in the nfl!

brandsp
09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Good bye Shanks McGee, hello new guy. I looked up Kluwe's punting and this preseason and he did okay. Nothing too good, but no 19 yarders. I just wish we hadn't got Dorsch. Without him we could have brought in A. Groom as a free agent. No he's got the job in DC as Tom tupa got hurt.

LuckyVike
09-05-2005, 09:12 PM
They must see something good in this new guy. I hope he works out for us...

V-Unit
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
This guy Kluwe is just another turn in the punting carousel. I feel like he is coming into a situation where a lot of people will be skeptical of him. If he stinks it up the first game we are going to have to find yet another punter. I would have preferred to keep Dorsch.

DoraTheExplorer
09-05-2005, 09:47 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

This guy Kluwe is just another turn in the punting carousel. I feel like he is coming into a situation where a lot of people will be skeptical of him. If he stinks it up the first game we are going to have to find yet another punter. I would have preferred to keep Dorsch.

Hell, if we're going into the realm of hindsight why didn't we keep Mitch Berger?

LuckyVike
09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

This guy Kluwe is just another turn in the punting carousel. I feel like he is coming into a situation where a lot of people will be skeptical of him. If he stinks it up the first game we are going to have to find yet another punter. I would have preferred to keep Dorsch.

You are right about if he comes in and has a bad first game we'll be calling for his head. Oh well, that's the way it's going to be this year for a lot of players in the eyes of some fans.

DoraTheExplorer
09-05-2005, 09:53 PM
LOL. You know the Vikings have high standards for their punters.

LuckyVike
09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

LOL. You know the Vikings have high standards for their punters.

We're fans looking for and expecting only success this season. If we get anything short of it, there will be a riot, period.

ranasrule
09-05-2005, 10:19 PM
thank GOD Bennett is gone

Ltrey33
09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

This guy Kluwe is just another turn in the punting carousel. I feel like he is coming into a situation where a lot of people will be skeptical of him. If he stinks it up the first game we are going to have to find yet another punter. I would have preferred to keep Dorsch.

You are right about if he comes in and has a bad first game we'll be calling for his head. Oh well, that's the way it's going to be this year for a lot of players in the eyes of some fans.

I'd rather have the POSSIBILITY of calling for someones head, than have it GUARANTEED that we'd be calling for someone's head, i.e. Bennett.

SamDawg84
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
i read on i think kkfl.... that we might sign bennett back or 1 or those 3 old punters.....!?

MiltStegall85
09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
The Vikings should go after a kid at the end of this season named Jon Ryan in the CFL rite now for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, his stats rite now in the season are:

Punts:67
Yards:3430
Avg:51.2
Net Avg:43.6
Long:80
Singles(touchbacks in NFL):6

the kid can kick the ball a hell of a long way and he is just 24 years old and improving his play every game

Vikings should take a look at him

ItalianStallion
09-06-2005, 03:48 AM
"MiltStegall85" wrote:

The Vikings should go after a kid at the end of this season named Jon Ryan in the CFL rite now for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, his stats rite now in the season are:

Punts:67
Yards:3430
Avg:51.2
Net Avg:43.6
Long:80
Singles(touchbacks in NFL):6

the kid can kick the ball a hell of a long way and he is just 24 years old and improving his play every game

Vikings should take a look at him

True, he has a leg, but I am pretty sure the Vikings couldn't touch him if the wanted to this season. Besides the punting game in the NFL is more about direction and hangtime, versus the CFL where distance is the most important thing.

Lotza
09-06-2005, 03:48 AM
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_OBJECTNAME_ticequotes9505.html
check out the kluwe interview. sounds ready to show the world his stuff.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Tice was interviewed today and asked about the punter situation and he said that he really likes the new kid, but will bring in a couple vets tomorrow and decide tomorrow who we will go with at punter. However, Tice said he prefers to keep Kluwe and it would take horrible days today and tomorrow by Kluwe, for us to go with another punter.

magicci
09-06-2005, 03:55 AM
why did we release dorsch? i thought he was our future.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2005, 03:59 AM
"magicci" wrote:

why did we release dorsch? i thought he was our future.


No, dorsch was inconsistent like Bennett. Obviously not as bad, but really never developed here.

This Kluwe kid has a brighter future and is pretty darn consistent for a rookie, or has been so far in preseason at least.

I like him better then Dorsch personally, but still would have taken Dorsch over Bennett in a heartbeat.

I am just thrilled we finally got rid of old man shanks alot.

PurpleAndy
09-06-2005, 04:08 AM
GOD D*MN IT!!!!!!!

SPECIFY WHICH BENNETT IN YOUR POST.

You owe me a keyboard ltrey.

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:10 AM
"PurpleAndy" wrote:

GOD D*MN IT!!!!!!!

SPECIFY WHICH BENNETT IN YOUR POST.

You owe me a keyboard ltrey.
LMAO i was kinda nervous on this post too.