PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Vikings going to miss more?

ShanePurpleBlood
09-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Here is an article on the Vikings.

Read:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/12501942.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_football

JDogg926
09-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Culpepper and company will make us forget about both of them. Matt Birk will be the one most missed this season. Unless Withrow can step up, our running game won't be quite what it's been in years past.

DarrinNelsonguy
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I say that we will miss Moss more than Linehan because last year Linehan got too pass happy and forgot that we need balance to be effective. That beening said we will be fine w/o both of them as long as the OL holds together and we protect Daunte.

Del Rio
09-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I think if our running game gets anyworse it will be non-exsistant. It barely lives as it is.

I think if anything the loss of Moss will hurt us worse. I am not a fan of old linehan. He bottled up when we had the lead, took us away from what we did best and tried to manage clock which resulted in many ulcers across the world.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-01-2005, 11:34 PM
What don't you guys like about Linehan??? The guy's play-calling was perfect. Remember that genius play in the Seahawks game where they tricked everyone and Moss threw the ball for a touchdo...uh...never mind. :lol:

JDogg926
09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

What don't you guys like about Linehan??? The guy's play-calling was perfect. Remember that genius play in the Seahawks game where they tricked everyone and Moss threw the ball for a touchdo...uh...never mind. :lol:

funny

PurplePackerEater
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM

I was ready to start rippin' ya, then...(good one) :grin:

JDogg926
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
We may need to set up the run with the pass. I think we've got a good enough passing game to do that.

Caine
09-01-2005, 11:49 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

We may need to set up the run with the pass. I think we've got a good enough passing game to do that.

There is no "may" about it...we NEED the pass to set up the run.

I was never a Linehan fan. Like Del, I thought he was too conservative when we needed agressive. In my opinion, if you can get a 30 point lead on someone...DO IT. Linehan would get up by 10-14 and start getting conservative.

And his play calling was ridiculous. He would see which area of the field we couldn't move the ball in...and run there. To me, there was simply no excuse for having one of the most capable and prolific offenses in the game...and getting out scored.

Now, people will come back with, "But our Defense couldn't stop anyone"...and they'd be right. But our Offense shouldn't have been stopable...yet was...due primarily to play calling.

So, I will miss Moss FAR MORE than Linehan. Moss set up the passing game and the running game. Just by being on the field, he made everyone else a more viable target. Harris had better step up in a big way if he wants me to believe he was worth the trade.

Caine

kramer9guy
09-01-2005, 11:51 PM

While Linehan's playcalling was anything but perfect last season, the particular play you are referring to was as much Moss's fault as anyone. He didn't have to throw that lame duck pass. He used his own judgment on whether or not to let that one go. He chose to throw it. It was a call that could have worked under the right circumstances. The circumstances were not right, the play was performed, it failed. Moss shouldn't have thrown the ball.

cajunvike
09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Birk will POTENTIALLY be the one missed most...look what happened last year when K40 and Rosey went down...our line play suffered ALL YEAR LONG!!! Let's hope that Withrow has a season for the ages!

mnjamie
09-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Moss ... cause that brings that extra man up in the box against our running game and now with Birk it's gonna be even tougher to run the ball.

PurplePackerEater
09-02-2005, 12:11 AM
This is an easier debate than the "Moss made Culpepper or Culpepper made Moss"

Of course Moss made Linehan! Just like Moss made Brian Billick, look at his offenses since Minnesota. They suck, just ask Travis Taylor.

DarrinNelsonguy
09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Who needs and offensive coordinator let's let Daunte call all the plays and run the show kind of like Manning does in Indy even if they give Manning a play he most likely will audible out of it anyway.

hic-agvike77
09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I think Dante, Nate and company will it make very easy to forget those 2, by the end of this season neither will be missed :grin:

ItalianStallion
09-02-2005, 12:29 AM
How is this even a question? What was so great about Linehan? We had a great offense before he got there, we had a great offense while he was there, and well have a great offense after he left.

Moss' presence intimidated defensive coordinators/players a lot more than Linehan's play calling, which aside from a few cute plays here and there, was pretty standard.

muchluv4smoot
09-02-2005, 01:16 AM
I am just shocked that Brian Russell and Kenny Mixon haven't yet entered this discussion. :lol:

FuadFan
09-02-2005, 01:27 AM
I voted for Moss but I really think it will be Birk and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how bad we'll be without Chris Hovan. :lol:

muchluv4smoot
09-02-2005, 01:29 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

I voted for Moss but I really think it will be Birk and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how bad we'll be without Chris Hovan. :lol:

Chris Hovan plays football? :grin:

VikingsFan1989
09-02-2005, 01:30 AM
100%, definately, for sure Moss! What can I say he was after all my favorite player?

V4L
09-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Moss not doubt!! Don't really need a game plan if ya have Moss.. Just gotta throw it up over thier heads.. They can't jump with him gol-ly!

muchluv4smoot
09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
While I don't see either moss or linehan being gone, as hurting our offense too badly, obviously Moss hurts more.

Loney isn't changing things much from linehan's system, which is good IMO. The only real problem with linehan was his play calling, not his plays. I can't see loney being as bad of a play caller as linehan was.

Moss will hurt us mostly in the running game, as will Birk. Luckily we are stacked at WR and his loss in the passing game won't be so bad. If our WR's can come out early in the year and be explosive, that will open the running game up for us as the year goes on. Look for us to be pass heavy to start the year and hopefully that will open up the running game for us as the season goes on. If it doesn't, we may be more pass heavy this year, then we were last year, if that is even possible.

SamDawg84
09-02-2005, 02:38 AM
moss4sure. we dont need liney... we have shaun hill calling the plays :^)

audioghost
09-02-2005, 03:28 AM
I put Linnehan, just because our replacement for him looks like a total bonehead....where Nate Burleson is at least a feasible replacement for Moss....Loney better step it up!!!!

natethegreat
09-02-2005, 06:04 AM
"hic-agvike77" wrote:

I think Dante, Nate and company will it make very easy to forget those 2, by the end of this season neither will be missed :grin:

yeah i agree with you 100%, plus i think loney is doing a great job so far

canadian_vikes_fan
09-02-2005, 06:11 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

While Linehan's playcalling was anything but perfect last season, the particular play you are referring to was as much Moss's fault as anyone. He didn't have to throw that lame duck pass. He used his own judgment on whether or not to let that one go. He chose to throw it. It was a call that could have worked under the right circumstances. The circumstances were not right, the play was performed, it failed. Moss shouldn't have thrown the ball.

You can't really expect a wide receiver to distinguish between the defences and be able to tell whether or not to throw the ball. Quarterbacks work at that their whole life, and they still make mistakes with that. Throw into that the fact that Moss has been practicing this play and is excited to do it, and has never even really thought about throwing it away, you can't really blame Moss. The fact is, it wasn't the right call at the right time.

TheAnimal93
09-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Everyone that was around when I signed up knows exactly how I feel about Linnyhand. My ulcer acts up like a volcano at the mention of his name.
For those that say we wont miss Moss are being a little presumptuous. That guy brought so much to the table. He struck fear in the hearts of all DB's.
Not saying that we cannot compensate for him in other ways but he did make defenses play us differently.
I think we will also miss Dixon and of course Birk. But who knows maybe we will be okay. Dont forget it was Tice was the line coach for a few years while Denny was here.So we will be okay. Just not as spectacular without Moss. And who knows there, although the jump ball in the end zone may be a little lacking, Twill has some speed as he has proven so far.
He musta took that Lester Hayes crash course I suggested too. :grin:

LuckyVike
09-02-2005, 06:31 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I think if our running game gets anyworse it will be non-exsistant. It barely lives as it is.

I think if anything the loss of Moss will hurt us worse. I am not a fan of old linehan. He bottled up when we had the lead, took us away from what we did best and tried to manage clock which resulted in many ulcers across the world.

No kidding man... when we started running the ball to kill some time all we'd get would be a 3 and out.

canadian_vikes_fan
09-02-2005, 06:36 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

I am just shocked that Brian Russell and Kenny Mixon haven't yet entered this discussion. :lol:

What about the Whizzanator??? :lol:

magicci
09-02-2005, 06:40 AM
i dont really think we will "miss" them really. but i will moss big plays thats about it.

so-cal vike
09-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Who are the Vikings going to miss more?

That's easy...http://www.redmccombs.net/images/mainpic1.gif

ShanePurpleBlood
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
"so-cal vike" wrote:

Who are the Vikings going to miss more?

That's easy...http://www.redmccombs.net/images/mainpic1.gif

Yeah right! That is a good one!

so-cal vike
09-06-2005, 04:14 AM
If I really believed that, I'd have to kick my own a$$. :wink:

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:17 AM
dont even bring back memories of :sad:

VegasLadyJae
09-06-2005, 04:29 AM
The only thing I don't really like about this sight is all the retrospect about a player or players that don't play for the Vikings and are currently on other teams. If they are not on the Vikings I don't care.....Good Luck Good-Bye, C Ya......Talk about the guys that are here.....Especially ones with good Character........No More M Word! Please!

magicci
09-06-2005, 04:36 AM
"VegasLadyJae" wrote:

The only thing I don't really like about this sight is all the retrospect about a player or players that don't play for the Vikings and are currently on other teams. If they are not on the Vikings I don't care.....Good Luck Good-Bye, C Ya......Talk about the guys that are here.....Especially ones with good Character........No More M Word! Please!
Moss, McCombs or Mooooo?

VegasLadyJae
09-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Yeah all those......Tired of that......But leave mothers out of the conversation!

ADubya26
09-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Definitely Moss without a doubt. I actually think we made a good move by scrapping Linehan.

Burley81
09-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Moss.

I was sick of Linehan running the ball like 15-20 times a game.

mvikes84
09-10-2005, 04:22 AM
"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

Here is an article on the Vikings.

Read:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/12501942.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_football The question should have been, "who is more of a dope, Mike Tice or Scott Linehan?" Now that would be a tough one to answer.

mvikes84
09-10-2005, 04:27 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

Of course Moss made Linehan! Just like Moss made Brian Billick, look at his offenses since Minnesota. They suck, just ask Travis Taylor. Moss also made Jeff George and Randall Cunningham. He's the best ever!!

hovan
09-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Are you really asking or being sarcastic? Wait, don't answer that.

ultravikingfan
09-10-2005, 05:52 AM
"mvikes84" wrote:

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

Of course Moss made Linehan! Just like Moss made Brian Billick, look at his offenses since Minnesota. They suck, just ask Travis Taylor. Moss also made Jeff George and Randall Cunningham. He's the best ever!!

Moss was not the only part of those stellar offenses. Carter...Smith?

He did play a huge part, but not all.

singersp
09-10-2005, 06:36 AM
I can tell you of two guys Im not gonna miss as a Vikings fan -- Wahle & Rivera. Good Luck Brett! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

PurplePackerEater
09-10-2005, 07:10 AM
It's gonna be Kevin Williams.

finnishvikingsfan
09-10-2005, 07:35 AM
David Dixon