PDA

View Full Version : what would it take for YOU to want tice back next season?

happy camper
08-28-2005, 04:45 PM
so?

ultravikingfan
08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
I like the guy. But, I think he has made some big mistakes and has not really taken advantage of some of the talent he has around him. This year is Super Bowl or bust for Tice. I am behind him 100%.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I think he either needs a deep playoff run or the Super Bowl this year. To tell you the truth I really like the guy and I want him to stick around for years to come. The thing is that if Tice actually does make a deep playoff run and doesn't come out with the super bowl, then it will be really hard for Ziggy to get rid of him. You don't just get rid of a coach who takes you deep into the playoffs. You give him another shot and if he blows that then he's outta there.

One of the huge reasons that I don't want him gone is our draft advantages with him. We have had the so called "SOD" two years in a row and we may have gotten another one in fason. Most of our 1st rounders under Tice have turned out to be huge playmakers. I bet everyone in the league is wishing they could have drafted K-Will now. :cool:

Burley81
08-28-2005, 05:50 PM
The way the team looks right now, a Super Bowl season.

TheAnimal93
08-28-2005, 05:52 PM
If I were Ziggy I would probably want the Division crown, a total run in the playoffs and a Super Bowl win. As an owner would I would expect nothing less. Every year.
If I didnt want this I would question myself as an owner.
Expectations are high everywhere.
Tice is supposed to be the General that carries out the battle plan. If he fails miserably, he should be replaced along with the staff.
Tice is a good coach believe it or not. Maybe not a great coach as of yet, but good nonetheless. He will get the job done.

PurpleTide
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Mike Tice has grown with, and has assembled a very talented staff, scouts, and now has good players at every posistion. He's going to have some tough decisions on cut down time, and I would'nt be surprised to see other teams picking up some guys we will have to let go.
Tice deserves to see the team he's built go deep into the playoffs, the SB, well let's finish strong this season and we could be the World Champs.

cc21
08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
I really like him so I hope he is around next year. I think that we would have to have atleast 2 playoff wins for him to come back next year. Hopefully we can just win the Superbowl and not have to worry about a thing.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't even want him back if we did win the SB this year, even though I know he would obviously then get a long extension. I just think there are plenty of good coaches out there that are better for us then meathead, like Jim Fassell for an example. Tice has been great at adding talent to this team, but IMO he just is a bad head coach, especially on game day.

Ltrey33
08-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Unless we collapse (heaven forbid) I want him back next year even if we don't win the whole thing.

MensaTice
08-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Super Bowl or bust. He's put the pieces together and if he doesn't get there this year, its time for a good game coach to come in and finish the job.

COJOMAY
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I really like Mike but I'm really having some doubts. He sets off this year with a few goals in mind. ie: Better special teams and fewer mistakes. Well both areas continue to stink. I don't know if it's his coaching ability, the players aren't listening or what. But he just can't seem to get all the players on the same page at the same time.
Of course I hope he does well. The players love him and so do all the people that work for him and with him. I think he's learning on the job and that's OK, but he's had the job long enugh now that the learning should be enought that he can coach with authority and I think he's lacking in that department. I think he's hesitant some times and bit "old school."

Lotza
08-28-2005, 08:09 PM
am i the only one here that likes and trusts tice?

V4L
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I support Tice 100 percent.. I think he is the most player friendly coach in the league.. If he can get like 10-12 wins and hopefully a few playoff wins I would be more then happy to have him back.. Who would we replace him with anyway? Are there any coaches contracts that are about to expire?

80_was_the_man
08-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Thers no school like the old school in my opinion. And if he continues to coach "old school" style it would be fine with me. He is aggressive and there are very few coaches who coach aggressively in this league. The only part of game day coaching he needs to improve(and it is crucial) is clock management. Other than that I want him back.

smootpepper
08-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I think a 10 win season is what im expecting so Tice has to win at least that for me to be happy with him. I think he has to win atleast 1 playoff game as well.

I like tice, I just dont always agree with him on some of his play calls. But for all I know the play calls could have been all the o-cordinators idea with no input from tice. He seems like a guy that delegates work and lets the people in charge do thier jobs.

Overall I hope he is back next year, but if not.... oh well, im sure there are better coaches out there, but I guess there could be worse ones too.

COJOMAY
08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Clarification needed...
In my earlier post where I mentioned "old school" what I meant was he doesn't change his offense much. I hear Viking coaches all the time saying well, "he's used to our offensive plan from before," speaking of Brad Johnson. Now I don't know what is meant by that and nonw of us is preevy to the information the players and coaches have, but if the Vikings offense hasn't changed in that long (Dennis Green era) every coach in the NFL must know our style.
Tell me...What am I missing here?

DoraTheExplorer
08-29-2005, 02:04 AM
whoa!

I am a Vikings fan and everything, but isn't it a little big to be saying, "Yes, Superbowl this year. No way it's out of our reach." I mean, there are still some teams that have plenty o' talent. I just think it's a little early to be doing the Namath superbowl prediction.

VikemanX84
08-29-2005, 02:16 AM
I think we've had a lot of talent the last two years and we have talent comming out of our nose this year.

Tice needs to win the SuperBowl this year to stay. I think he was thrown into a head coaching job a little too soon, but has the potential. Now he has the experience and he needs to realize his potential. There is 1 thing standing in his way and that is Ted Cottrell who really isn't very good. Tice needs to make sure the defense isn't ruined by this idiot.

DoraTheExplorer
08-29-2005, 02:18 AM
what stupidity!

I don't think it's out of the question to win a Super Bowl, but putting his coaching job on the line to do so?

canadian_vikes_fan
08-29-2005, 03:03 AM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

what stupidity!

I don't think it's out of the question to win a Super Bowl, but putting his coaching job on the line to do so?I agree. Winning the Super Bowl would be nice, but we are far FAR away from that. If we had Bill Belichek as our coach and we lost in the Conference Finals, would you fire him? Of course not, winning the Super Bowl would be great, but you can't expect it. A lot of things have to happen for you to win the Super Bowl, and one of those things is having a lot of luck. Just look at last year: a lot of good teams and a lot of good coaches didn't win the Super Bowl.

SJHILL
08-29-2005, 03:48 AM
If he doesnt make it to the NFCCG I'll be disappointed, but if he wins the division then he'll earn another year.

guzziVike
08-29-2005, 04:08 AM
My two bits. Tice doesn't need to show me an 11 or 12 win season (I expect greater things); but a good run into the playoffs. I need to see him grow now, evolve a little more and show some creativity. We need different looks on defense and we need to have the confidence to move our game plan around a little more. If we truly are that talented of a team, then we'll have no trouble adapting to the best of our opponents. Adaptation during the season is the coaches job, and that's what I'll be looking for if it's time to talk about dumping coaches. I agree he's been a great players coach, assembling a very talented roster. I want this to be the year he shows me a SPARK; Shows me something more than a one dimensional game plan. This is the year he needs to become an Engineer and not just a Mechanic. I'm excited for him. I like Tice, and with the people I like, I want them to succeed. You go to war with the army you got, so lets not count the undead yet.
Go Mike! Go Vikes!
Valhalla or Bust!

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2005, 04:13 AM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

what stupidity!

I don't think it's out of the question to win a Super Bowl, but putting his coaching job on the line to do so?

Basically those of us that can't stand Tice and think he is a horrible coach, are obviously gonna say a SB or bye bye, because we know that is crazy and we would have a good shot at getting rid of him for a good coach.

Realistically speaking, if we get to the NFC championship game, and don't have an embarrassing effort in that game, he will get that extension.

Mr. Purple
08-29-2005, 04:21 AM
I'll put it this way, I would love a new coach next year, someone proven....and someone who knows thier sh1t. But I feel the only way we'll get that is if we have a bad season (ie not makin a serious run in the playoffs) and I do beleive we can. So its a catch 22, have a bad season and get a better coach...or have a great season and Keep tice...idk...thats just how i look at it.

DoraTheExplorer
08-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Maybe Tice isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I am confident he can coach our team. Just because he doesn't always seem to have the fastest tractor on the farm doesn't mean he doesn't know football.

vikings6490
08-29-2005, 05:11 AM
I like tice alot and I would like to see him coach the Vikings for a while, but if he cant coach the Vikings deep into the playoffs, I think he should go.

DoraTheExplorer
08-29-2005, 05:13 AM
[quote="vikings6490"]I like tice alot [quote]

a lot

Caine
08-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I look around the NFL today and I don't really see a whole lot of "great" coaches out there needing a job.

Tice has done several things right in his tenure here thus far:

1: Drafted incredibly well.
2: Been a part of excellent FA acquisitions.
3: Steadily improved our team.

What more do you want a coach to do?

I believe that this year we need a deep play-off run...although I'm holding out hope for a SB...that might still be a year - and a running back - away. Regardless, if Tice takes us to the NFC Championship, I think he'll have proved his worth.

Caine

SJHILL
08-29-2005, 06:26 AM
What good what it do to fire Coach Tice if he has a good season? Winning teams needs a consistent QB and a Coach that they know will be there for them.

magicci
08-29-2005, 06:48 AM
i say deep into the playoffs. but even if tice is fired i want to keep him in the organization. he has done a lot of good things with this team. i dont know what he would get offered here or if he would even accept it.

WBLVikeBabe
08-29-2005, 06:55 AM
I really like Tice, I hope he we make it to the playoffs this year cause I want him to stick around. We need to win a Superbowl with him, hopefully this year but definitley next year otherwise I think Zygi might be questioning getting rid of him.

VikeTyke
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
"Lotzapurple119" wrote:

am i the only one here that likes and trusts tice?

:shock: you think you are alone?? how sad... :sad:

JDogg926
08-29-2005, 06:21 PM
NFC North Champions, 10 wins, at least one playoff win.

PurplePackerEater
08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Deep Playoff run and continue to show competance on the sidelines.