PDA

View Full Version : Elling or Edinger?



Prophet
08-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm rooting for Edinger. Anyone that can be successful in the windy city and then moves to a dome is a keeper. His pre-kick stance annoys the hell out of me though.

-------------------------------------
KFFL
Vikings | Edinger Impressive
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:26:32 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings PK Paul Edinger was impressive during the team's game against the New York Jets, Friday, Aug. 19. He made good on a 53-yard kick at the first half, while making several others during the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KFFL
Vikings | Will not Keep Two Kickers
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:47:26 -0700

The Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice had a stern reply for the media when he was asked if the team might keep PKs Aaron Elling and Paul Edinger. Tice's response was: "We will not keep two kickers. Read my lips."

FuadFan
08-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm cheering for Edinger he is more of a veteran and I just don't like Elling much at all.

ShanePurpleBlood
08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
As much as I hated Edinger with his gay stance and c on his helmet...I am rooting for him. It is hard to root for Elling after some heart breaking he did last year.

Jviking
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Elling scares me, we can't count on him. Edinger on the other hand is new to us and I kinda like him. Better of the two anyways. Then again he was a bear...better than sharper.

ShanePurpleBlood
08-24-2005, 09:29 PM
"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

As much as I hated Edinger with his *** stance and c on his helmet...I am rooting for him. It is hard to root for Elling after some heart breaking he did last year.

sorry i guess i cant say gay, is homo alright?

cc21
08-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I hope Edinger wins it. I just can't trust Elling. Edinger is pretty consistant and has never missed and extra point unlike Elling.

Bowchee
08-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Elling's kickoffs are better, but I can't forget what he did (or didn't) do last year. On the other hand, with that goofy stance that Edinger has, it's no wonder he's had some problems such that Chicago cut him. I can see how it might be prone to some mental mistakes, in particular. It's kinda like me lining up 30 degrees to the left of the fairway, knowing that I'm going to spin the ball to the right. Sooner or later, I'll hit it straight like I should, and then I'm screwed.

UkViking
08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Edinger was my choice,he looks a more consistent bet.

FuadFan
08-24-2005, 09:56 PM
"Bowchee" wrote:

Elling's kickoffs are better, but I can't forget what he did (or didn't) do last year. On the other hand, with that goofy stance that Edinger has, it's no wonder he's had some problems such that Chicago cut him. I can see how it might be prone to some mental mistakes, in particular. It's kinda like me lining up 30 degrees to the left of the fairway, knowing that I'm going to spin the ball to the right. Sooner or later, I'll hit it straight like I should, and then I'm screwed.Except that then Chicago decided to go with Doug Brien who as we know is a great example of a consistent kicker. Anyways despite Edinger's stance he has been 11-17 the last three years when attempting 50 plus yard field goals. When the last kicker we could count on from that range?
(Hint check out my name)

BBQ Platypus
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Give Elling a break. He's improved a lot, particularly in the accuracy department. He's also younger and has a stronger leg than Edinger does. If the Vikes only keep one kicker, I imagine that it will be Elling due to his superior kickoff ability and (relative) youth. If he keeps doing as well as he has been doing lately, he will ensure that we don't have to worry about getting a kicker for several years. It's been way too long since the last training camp when there wasn't a position battle over the kicker spot. Edinger is getting a bit older, and, although kickers can last a long time, he only has a couple good years left.

SamDawg84
08-24-2005, 10:21 PM
if elling gets the job we might as well just use darren bennett as our field goal kicker. cause hes more accurate than elling.... edinger is way better than elling

JDogg926
08-24-2005, 10:44 PM
What's this about a 53-yard kick he made against the Jets??? We didn't have any FG's, the final was 28-21 all scores were TD's.

My best friend's sister played kicker for her high school team a few years ago, I say we bring her in to try out.

They both scare the crap out of me. Neither is impressive on kickoffs, they're both inconsistent, and Edinger's stance makes me want to smack somebody. I'd probably choose Edinger, though, only because he has more experience and he might have a grudge against Chicago that could help us out.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Guess who I am rooting for? I'll give you a hint.
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
\/

canadian_vikes_fan
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

I hope Edinger wins it. I just can't trust Elling. Edinger is pretty consistant and has never missed and extra point unlike Elling.

You are the second or third person that has said this.

AARON ELLING HAS NEVER MISSED AN EXTRA POINT IN HIS CAREER!!!!!!!

And the last two years, Elling has been more consistent than Edinger. Edinger hit something like 65% of his field goals last year, which is terrible. That's why he was cut. There are better kickers in the CFL than that. And he can't kickoff well either.

Del Rio
08-24-2005, 11:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken he only kicked 2 field goals last year he missed one that puts him at 50%

He has kicked a wopping 27 attempts in his carreer. He is 70.4% accurate.

Edinger kicked 146 attempts and is 75.3% accurate.

canadian_vikes_fan
08-24-2005, 11:23 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

If I'm not mistaken he only kicked 2 field goals last year he missed one that puts him at 50%

He has kicked a wopping 27 attempts in his carreer. He is 70.4% accurate.

Edinger kicked 146 attempts and is 75.3% accurate.I wasn't counting last year, because it wasn't fair to count his 2 attempts, especially considering they were both long ones because Morten Andersen was handling the short stuff.

In 2003, when Elling was a rookie, he was 18-25, which is an even 72%.

In 2003, Edinger 26-36, which is 72.2%. Last year, he kicked a fabulous 62.5%, going 15 for 24. His average has gone down every year since 2001 when he kicked 84%.

Del Rio
08-24-2005, 11:33 PM
The one kick Elling made last year was from 22 yards away.
The one he managed to miss was 30-39 nothing long in kicking standards.

snowinapril
08-24-2005, 11:41 PM
I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

mnjamie
08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Edinger ... next.

Del Rio
08-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Edinger

1-19---100%
20-29--93%
20-39--73%
40-49--70%
50+----68%


Elling

1-19---N/A
20-29--100%
20-39--66%
40-49--57%
50+----33%


Elling would do a great job for us, if all our field goals were within 20-29 yards.

canadian_vikes_fan
08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Edinger

1-19---100%
20-29--93%
20-39--73%
40-49--70%
50+----68%


Elling

1-19---N/A
20-29--100%
20-39--66%
40-49--57%
50+----33%


Elling would do a great job for us, if all our field goals were within 20-29 yards.We have a dynamic offence. We aren't looking for someone to regularly kick 50 yard field goals. You saw last year, we scored plenty of points, and we didn't even attempt field goals from outside 40 yards or so. We need someone to consistently kick mid-short range field goals, kick the odd long field goal, and get good kickoff to give us good field position.

Prophet
08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah, those stats make it a no-brainer. The Vikes can always pick up a Nugentesque kicker with the 32nd overall pick next year.

cajunvike
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

ShanePurpleBlood
08-25-2005, 12:11 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

That is strange that they all are with in a year or so of each other, and nobody has tied or broken in since. Why does it seem that high school records are longer than colllege and NFL. Is it because they are not afraid of the risk?

snowinapril
08-25-2005, 12:11 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

He does or did hold the record for something. It must be for NCAA D2 or something. I think it was 62 or 63 yrds???????????????? It was in like 2000-2001 when it happened.

Del Rio
08-25-2005, 12:12 AM
The reason we didn't kick 40+ last year wasn't because we didn't need to it was because we were scared shitless to try lol. I remember plenty of awkward situations where it was like "ok if we had a normal consistent kicker we would kick, but we don't so hell with it punt/go for it.

Prophet
08-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Cundiff tied the record (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/2000s/cundiff.jsp) for the most field goals in an NFL game in 2003 with seven.

snowinapril
08-25-2005, 12:15 AM
OK it was second not first in the record books.

College Career

Cundiff finished out his career at Drake owning 15 school and five Pioneer League records, including career marks for points (284), field goals (49-of-79), and PATs (137-of-151). He also ranks 14th on the NCAA I-AA career field goal list connecting on 49 kicks. As a senior, he hit 11-of-17 field goals, including two from 50 yards or more. As a junior, he tallied 100 points as he connected on 20-of-27 field goals including one from 62 yards out, which placed him second in NCAA I-AA annals.

snowinapril
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

The reason we didn't kick 40+ last year wasn't because we didn't need to it was because we were scared shitless to try lol. I remember plenty of awkward situations where it was like "ok if we had a normal consistent kicker we would kick, but we don't so hell with it punt/go for it.

TRU DAT

and the reason Elling didn't have any 1-19 was also because we were scared crapless and just decided we were so close might aws well go for it.

BBQ Platypus
08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

If I'm not mistaken he only kicked 2 field goals last year he missed one that puts him at 50%

He has kicked a wopping 27 attempts in his carreer. He is 70.4% accurate.

Edinger kicked 146 attempts and is 75.3% accurate.

It's a bit early in his career to be able to tell whether or not he's capable of being an NFL kicker. Elling has improved (and still is improving), while Edinger is nearing the end of his career (or at least his period of quality play), and isn't getting any younger. Elling still can get better. You can't really expect a kicker to do well early in their career unless they are really talented, early-draft-worthy kickers. And unless I'm mistaken, Edinger's numbers have fallen during the past few years. I'd be happy to be wrong about that, but I remember reading that they had. Besides, Chicago let go of him for a reason, right?

cajunvike
08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

That is strange that they all are with in a year or so of each other, and nobody has tied or broken in since. Why does it seem that high school records are longer than colllege and NFL. Is it because they are not afraid of the risk?

No, it is because high schools can kick off of a rubber tee...and colleges used to be able (but I think that changed recently). The pros kick off of the ground. The end result is that high schools get more loft on their kicks than college or pros.

cajunvike
08-25-2005, 12:26 AM
BTW, Edinger would be my choice....with Dorsch as the punter/kickoff specialist.

Prophet
08-25-2005, 12:28 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

That is strange that they all are with in a year or so of each other, and nobody has tied or broken in since. Why does it seem that high school records are longer than colllege and NFL. Is it because they are not afraid of the risk?

No, it is because high schools can kick off of a rubber tee...and colleges used to be able (but I think that changed recently). The pros kick off of the ground. The end result is that high schools get more loft on their kicks than college or pros.

The footballs used for kicking in the NFL are different too. Didn't they change that a couple of years ago?

midgensa
08-25-2005, 12:31 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ShanePurpleBlood" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

I say we pick up CUNDIFF and throw him on the Roster. I know he is injured but unless it is not more than they are saying, he should be alright by week 5 or 6. He could be a long term option. The guy played at Drake and I think he holds the record for the longest kick in college????? 62yds?????? Little help here.

I think it is worth the gamble. Hold on to Edinger, he has the most experience.

The current record for the longest FG in college is 67 yards and held by three people:
Russell Erxleben on October 10, 1977 (I actually saw that one live on TV)
Steve Little on October 15, 1977
Joe Williams on October 21, 1978

That is strange that they all are with in a year or so of each other, and nobody has tied or broken in since. Why does it seem that high school records are longer than colllege and NFL. Is it because they are not afraid of the risk?

No, it is because high schools can kick off of a rubber tee...and colleges used to be able (but I think that changed recently). The pros kick off of the ground. The end result is that high schools get more loft on their kicks than college or pros.

In my five years of covering sports in Virginia I have never seen a high school kicker kick a field goal off of a tee, so I don't know about that.
Longer kicks are available in college and high school because they dont need to be as accurate with the wider goal posts (I know that colleges used to be wider and I think they still are although I am not sure).

I am leaning toward Edinger by the way, but he is only a part-time fix, if Elling can hit some kicks he could be a more longterm solution.

DoraTheExplorer
08-25-2005, 12:32 AM
I say that Elling or Edinger both suck. But at least Elling is younger, so he has a chance to improve and learn. But until when or if we get a healthy Cundiff I say unless we're within the 25 yard line, go for it. I remember at one point in the season last year they were at the thirty or something and they couldn't kick the fieldgoal because no one could make it. Jezus Kee-rist!

midgensa
08-25-2005, 12:39 AM
i can barely hit one of two 45 yarders with either of these guys on Madden, god knows I would prefer not see them try in real life ...

FuadFan
08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
I have heard people on here say Elling is much younger than Edinger as a reason and you should look for actual fact because their difference in age is that Elling is only 4 months and 2 weeks younger then Edinger and Edinger is still more of a vetern and is still much more reliable from the 40 to 50 yard range.

snowinapril
08-25-2005, 02:03 AM
midgensa,

you have never seen the aprox. 5x5 inch black rubber tee. It is about an 1 inch or 2 thick, for placing the ball on so they don't have to lift it as much.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-25-2005, 03:22 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

i can barely hit one of two 45 yarders with either of these guys on Madden, god knows I would prefer not see them try in real life ...

I feel sorry for you.
:lol: just kidding..

Prophet
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Tice said he is looking forward to the preseason finale in Seattle and is hoping for windy conditions to see who responds best to the challenge.

Now that's a tough one. The guy with oodles of experience in the windy city or the guy with some experience in a dome. I wonder which one I should pick if wind is going to be the deciding factor....hmmmm....doooooonuts.


--------------

KFFL
Vikings | Tice Baffled By Kicker Battle
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:03:12 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice said the place kicking competition between PKs Aaron Elling and Paul Edinger is so close; he's "baffled" by it. Tice said he is looking forward to the preseason finale in Seattle and is hoping for windy conditions to see who responds best to the challenge. Elling and Edinger know this is going down to the wire, which may hurt the chances of the guy who loses from catching on with another team.

Del Rio
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

If I'm not mistaken he only kicked 2 field goals last year he missed one that puts him at 50%

He has kicked a wopping 27 attempts in his carreer. He is 70.4% accurate.

Edinger kicked 146 attempts and is 75.3% accurate.

It's a bit early in his career to be able to tell whether or not he's capable of being an NFL kicker. Elling has improved (and still is improving), while Edinger is nearing the end of his career (or at least his period of quality play), and isn't getting any younger. Elling still can get better. You can't really expect a kicker to do well early in their career unless they are really talented, early-draft-worthy kickers. And unless I'm mistaken, Edinger's numbers have fallen during the past few years. I'd be happy to be wrong about that, but I remember reading that they had. Besides, Chicago let go of him for a reason, right?

Sure, I assume they did. I'm guessing it wasn't an accident. I don't have a favorite. I hate kickers.

akvikefan89
08-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Vikings | Tice Baffled By Kicker Battle
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:03:12 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice said the place kicking competition between PKs Aaron Elling and Paul Edinger is so close; he's "baffled" by it. Tice said he is looking forward to the preseason finale in Seattle and is hoping for windy conditions to see who responds best to the challenge. Elling and Edinger know this is going down to the wire, which may hurt the chances of the guy who loses from catching on with another team.


I can't believe how close the kicking battle has been.
Please Tice, oh please don't cut Edinger...

canadian_vikes_fan
08-26-2005, 12:34 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

Please Tice, oh please don't cut Edinger...

Why do you say that???

If Tice cuts Edinger, that means that Elling has done a better job and has won the kicking competition. That also means that we're gonna have better field position, because Edinger sucks @ss on kickoffs.

akvikefan89
08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

Please Tice, oh please don't cut Edinger...

Why do you say that???

If Tice cuts Edinger, that means that Elling has done a better job and has won the kicking competition. That also means that we're gonna have better field position, because Edinger sucks @ss on kickoffs.
Because I want Edinger to win of course :lol:

No, seriously, If Tice cuts Edinger, our kicking game will be as bad as last year. I don't care who "wins" the "kicking battle" there are some things you can't see in a player in the pre-season. Elling=choke IMO.

Toro
08-26-2005, 04:26 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice said the place kicking competition between PKs Aaron Elling and Paul Edinger is so close; he's "baffled" by it.

My guess is that isn't the only thing he's baffled by. :lol:

kyleo1967
08-26-2005, 04:59 AM
With our recent road woes, i say go with the guy that can kick outdoors, Edinger.

eelpout72
08-26-2005, 05:11 AM
Im really torn on this. I would like to think that Elling will get better with experience and he does have the stronger leg, but I like Edinger too. BTW, i think that Edinger's kicking style is cool as it is really unique. The only thing that would be cooler is if he started from a 3pt stance!

VikingNation
08-26-2005, 05:11 AM
I'm on board with Edinger. Elling had his chance and fell flat on his face in 2003. Not too mention I would love to see a former Bear, excel in the land of Purple.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-26-2005, 05:18 AM
"eelpout72" wrote:

Im really torn on this. I would like to think that Elling will get better with experience and he does have the stronger leg, but I like Edinger too. BTW, i think that Edinger's kicking style is cool as it is really unique. The only thing that would be cooler is if he started from a 3pt stance!

:lol: