PDA

View Full Version : Bennett-less Vikes

enlvikeman
08-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Are a better Vikes team. That goes for darren and Herschal tip-toe no lateral movement Michael Bennet. Sorry Mikey but I have never been a big fan of you. Go back to track or go be a Packer (where your badger-azz) wanted to be anyway.

VikingsBabe
08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

Are a better Vikes team. That goes for darren and Herschal tip-toe no lateral movement Michael Bennet. Sorry Mikey but I have never been a big fan of you. Go back to track or go be a Packer (where your badger-azz) wanted to be anyway.

ok, so i may not be taken seriously yet at this point, but i have to defend bennett. so he had a bad game...everyone has a bad game. it's just good that it's preseason. he can learn from his mistakes! plus, enl, i'd be careful what you wish for, because Bennett going to the Pack could definitely backfire...on us.

VikingsM4
08-20-2005, 07:08 AM
yeah I have to admit I'm loosing more and more confidence in Bennett however I would like to see MeMo with the first teams more before I decide he should win the job.

DemonicViking
08-20-2005, 07:12 AM
It would help if there were some holes to run thru.. there didn't seem to be very many tonight.. except when fason had a couple of nice gains later in the game. even with the annoying penalties, the first team offense did well, after that.. the game became a snooze fest with continous yellow flags slowing things down (mistakes will happen, but jeez, it became unbearable) but Williamson's appearence kept me watching again for that short period he was in the game.. after that I fell asleep again.. I don't think the preseason has ever made me so weary.

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
08-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I really like how Ciatrick runs. I hope he gets the nod for the starting job. Bennett didn't exacty have any holes tonight either. Not his fault, Mike needs a little crease to burst through. With his speed, he can be past the LB'ers and has to beat a saftey otherwise is wide open green. I was cheering when D. Bennett got hurt. Shit, he's ok.

SKOL
08-20-2005, 07:31 AM
"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:

I was cheering when D. Bennett got hurt. pooh, he's ok.

Darren Bennett was having a pretty good game. I'd like to see him stick around.

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
08-20-2005, 07:33 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

He had like a 38.3 per punt average. We are better off going for it almost.

natethegreat
08-20-2005, 08:18 AM
man i don't like d bennett, put travis d. in there, im sure he won't choke in games like darren and michael bennett sure can't find any holes, if he had some good fision, he would be dominate

ultravikingfan
08-20-2005, 03:35 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

Nice to see a punter make a play!

dan3ski
08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
The field was not well suited to a running game as it had rained very hard just before the game, as for the punting Bennet was inconsestant which also could be the result of a very wet field. The poch punt still seems to give Bennet problems. In All the special teams were not very special!

Mr. Purple
08-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Bennett is Trash, I even wore his jersey last night hopin bye some mircle of god he felt a connection with me and he actually made it past the Line. But nope...Instead he looked like retard tryin to hump a door knob. Im done with him unless he gets better over the next couple weeks, or actually produces in a game. Im sick of bennett. Now Fason is hurt which sucks cuz i felt he could really have gave Mewelde a run for his money. BOOOOOOOO Bennett...BOOOOOO!!! Only brian williams had a worse game then you last night.

SamDawg84
08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
that was a funny tackle by bennett

thepacksux
08-20-2005, 07:28 PM
turn the mob around.... its just PRESEASON!!!!!

Ltrey33
08-20-2005, 08:00 PM
"VikingsBabe" wrote:

"enlvikeman" wrote:

ok, so i may not be taken seriously yet at this point, but i have to defend bennett. so he had a bad game...everyone has a bad game. it's just good that it's preseason. he can learn from his mistakes! plus, enl, i'd be careful what you wish for, because Bennett going to the Pack could definitely backfire...on us.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I think if it were our defense sucking we'd all be saying "Give it time, it's only the second preseason game" but since it's our RB sucking everyone is jumping up and down and screaming for his head. I say give it time. If we get into the reg. season and things don't get better than MeMo should play more, but right now the games (and the stats) don't matter.

V4L
08-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Well everyone is saying Bennett sucked last night.. What about Moe or Mewelde? They both were garbage too.. There were absolutley no holes.. I defend Bennett alot but it's getting kinda pointless cuz no one listens.. And I am actually starting to lose confidence..

muchluv4smoot
08-20-2005, 08:10 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

I agree. I was impressed with darren for the first time. After he got his first crappy kick out of the way, he had a pretty good game. He even showed toughness coming out and punting again, after getting hurt(although how important is toughness in a punter :grin: ).

I honestly think there is no chance we go with Dorsch over Bennett. Hopefully, in that case, Bennett can continue his good play.

SKOL
08-20-2005, 09:51 PM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:

I agree. I was impressed with darren for the first time. After he got his first crappy kick out of the way, he had a pretty good game. He even showed toughness coming out and punting again, after getting hurt(although how important is toughness in a punter :grin: ).

I honestly think there is no chance we go with Dorsch over Bennett. Hopefully, in that case, Bennett can continue his good play.

I like D. Bennett's touch too, kicking inside the 20. He is unconcerned about his 'average', and puts the good of the team above personal stats. Other kickers we've had in the past will just boom the stupid thing no matter what (Berger)..., they do that because average punting yards is all that some people look at. Yeah his stats look good on paper, but it did nothing for the team.

Justin311
08-20-2005, 10:05 PM
we can come up with plenty of excuses as to why the RBS didn't look good. The weather sucked, the o-line didn't open up holes, etc. Truth is be glad its only preseason because thats the only pass they get. The Jets D is much better than the Chiefs and that showed as the Vikes couldn't run at all. I gave Bennett a pass last week as it was the first preseason game, but i was more surprised that the others didn't show any reason to surpass Bennett. Tice won't remove the "starter" title from bennett unless someone gives him a reason to. Yes he fumbled, but the other 3 didn't step up either, so until they improve Bennett stays where he is.

Our Special teams was terrible once again.

TheFloridianVikingFan
08-20-2005, 11:20 PM
ur all crazy... bennetts the starter and should be... please end this madness.

ItalianStallion
08-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Uh, I'm just curious, those of you who defend Michael Bennett, what has this guy DONE in the past 3 years to deserve to start?

Sure he's fast, so far I've only seen a few plays in the past 3 YEARS where we have actually seen it.

Please how can you deny players who produce on the field the playing time the deserve.

It seems like this is Hovan all over again. How long before we put our metaphorical "spencer Johnson" in?

fourdoorchevelle
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
"VikingsBabe" wrote:

"enlvikeman" wrote:

it's been more then 1 bad game, it's more like 32 .

in his first season he ran for 682 yards in 13 games , 52.5 yards a game. over 16 games that's 840 yards over a season . 4.0 yards a carry . not exactly burning the barn .

2nd season was great 1296 yards , 5.1 yards a carry , and 81 yards a game. but only 5 touchdowns. the exception for micheal bennett .

3rd season , played half the season and rushed for a horrendous 447 yards . injury killed this season. and possibly his killer instinct .

4th and worst year by far (2004) , 11 games , 276 yards , 25.1 yards a game . again injured , but upon returning bennett looks horrible when spelling smith and moore . never seems to hit the hole in time , to much indecision in the back field. i personally think that bennetts past injuries have gotten to his head.

this preseason just looks like an extension of last years performance. i personally would like a short leash put on him . if he can perform great , but he better make it quick .

josdin00
08-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I had taped the game, and just watched last night, and there were two things that really disturbed me. 1 - The penalties. I'm this already has another thread going, so I won't say any more here. 2 - Bennett always went down on first contact. No wait, I take that back. There was one play where the first guy to hit him didn't knock him down, he knocked the ball out. I know that there weren't any holes to run through, but Bennett never made it by the first guy to hit him with the ball. Moe did. So did Moore. Bennett couldn't. That's what worries me most about this guy. I've been in his camp all of the off season, saying he should get the chance to be the starter. Well, he's getting that chance to prove he's the starter right now, and the other guys are out playing him. If I don't see a remarkable improvement in his decisiveness and his elusiveness in the next preseason game, I think I may have to join the Start Moore camp.

UTVikfan
08-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I wish all you people on this and the 20 other Bennett threads were the coach of another team, hopefully in our division. It is sad to see someone like Muchluv(the knowledgeable guy in the popularity poll) and the rest of you doing this preseason. In the offseason, your trading Bennett and a pick...now that its preseason he goes 8 attempts for 14 yards with a long of 6. Horrible, hang him out to dry. Could he be worse, start the guy rushing against the fourth string that will be cut on the other team.
Please note, the rushing leader, last year, ummmmm who was in the same game, went 4 attempts for 6 yards, and a long of 3. He is sure to get beat out by C. Houston....whoever that is. Yah, Bennetts stats are slightly better than Curtis Martin's and ya'll are all over him. MY GOD! It is PRESEASON!

VKG4LFE
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

I second that notion!

BigEasyViking
08-22-2005, 04:16 AM
I've been a big Bennett backer since he came into the league but lets face it. This guy doesn't deserve the start from what I've seen so far. Everybody is using the excuse that it's only pre-season but guess what, Preseason is what they use to come up with a depth chart. Mewelde has done everything right and bennett continues to get his -2 yards/ carry. To me Mewelde deserves this job unless Bennett steps up quickly. If he continues to do nothing while running the ball and continues to get the start then there is a serious problem here. Trust me we all hope that he will be the Bennett of old but I just don't see it. I really have no more patience for Bennett, and Mewelde looks like a much better back at this point. He can run between the tackles and can catch the ball out of the back field. This is what our offense needs.

fourdoorchevelle
08-22-2005, 04:23 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Please note, the rushing leader, last year, ummmmm who was in the same game, went 4 attempts for 6 yards, and a long of 3. He is sure to get beat out by C. Houston....whoever that is. Yah, Bennetts stats are slightly better than Curtis Martin's and ya'll are all over him. MY GOD! It is PRESEASON!

the leading rusher from last year was sitting at home smoking fat joints of pot.

you must not have read my post , because it's not just the preseason , this is a reoccuring theme with bennett.

he played 11 games last year for a grand total of 276 yards rushing. this preseason is just an extension of that .

FuadFan
08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

"UTVikfan" wrote:

the leading rusher from last year was sitting at home smoking fat joints of pot.

you must not have read my post , because it's not just the preseason , this is a reoccuring theme with bennett.

he played 11 games last year for a grand total of 276 yards rushing. this preseason is just an extension of that .He was talking about the NFL leading rusher Curtis Martin who our defense did great against and Bennett is the starter unless he gets hurt no matter what Moore does all he is right now is the starting kick/punt returner.

UTVikfan
08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Fourdoor, perhaps you don't know who Curtis Martin is. Do you know who Priest Holmes is? I do hope so. He went 8 attempts for 16 yards this week. I am sure that the Chiefs have immediatly benched him, for their 3rd or 4th stringer who ran better. Oh shoot, Bennett's numbers are better than Holmes in preseason too. Like anyone cares.

Del Rio
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

I wish all you people on this and the 20 other Bennett threads were the coach of another team, hopefully in our division. It is sad to see someone like Muchluv(the knowledgeable guy in the popularity poll) and the rest of you doing this preseason. In the offseason, your trading Bennett and a pick...now that its preseason he goes 8 attempts for 14 yards with a long of 6. Horrible, hang him out to dry. Could he be worse, start the guy rushing against the fourth string that will be cut on the other team.

He did have a costly false start that hurt us and a fumble, but who's counting.

I for one haven't written the guy off, I just think he plays for a team that doesn't care about the run game.

CanadaViking
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Fourdoor, perhaps you don't know who Curtis Martin is. Do you know who Priest Holmes is? I do hope so. He went 8 attempts for 16 yards this week. I am sure that the Chiefs have immediatly benched him, for their 3rd or 4th stringer who ran better. Oh shoot, Bennett's numbers are better than Holmes in preseason too. Like anyone cares.

First of all putting Michael Bennet's name in the same class as C-Mart or Priest is absolutely ridiculuous!!!

Priest and Martin both could arguably be in the Hall of fame!! Priest Holmes has had a better numbers in 1 season then bennet has had in his CAREER!! ( not exactly sure, but I would bet it is close).

Priest and Martin have been producing consistently for years, what everyone is saying about Bennet is true, what have you done for me lately, and the answer is simple NOTHING!!

So when you are done making ridiculuous comparisons to two of the best backs in the league then maybe we could have a discussion.

Also why did the Titans bring in Travis Henry after the year Chris Brown had last year, Chris Brown had over 1000 yds. last season and there are no guarantees he is going to start this year, so why do we in Minnesota hand over a starting job to a guy that hasn't done a thing in 4 years!!

I understand the sentiment of the guys on this site and it should be said that MB has not PERFORMED at all!!!!

fourdoorchevelle
08-23-2005, 08:01 AM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

his numbers are not even close to martin or holmes .
if he had not had these types of numbers in his carrer you wouldn't hear so many hoots and howls about this guys inability to perform, most of ya seem to be missing my whole point . not to mention that he's injured again :roll: , may not be season ending but another injury none the less .

so here it is again:

it's been more then 1 bad game, it's more like 32 .

in his first season he ran for 682 yards in 13 games , 52.5 yards a game. over 16 games that's 840 yards over a season . 4.0 yards a carry . not exactly burning the barn .

2nd season was great 1296 yards , 5.1 yards a carry , and 81 yards a game. but only 5 touchdowns. the exception for micheal bennett .

3rd season , played half the season and rushed for a horrendous 447 yards . injury killed this season. and possibly his killer instinct .

4th and worst year by far (2004) , 11 games , 276 yards , 25.1 yards a game . again injured , but upon returning bennett looks horrible when spelling smith and moore . never seems to hit the hole in time , to much indecision in the back field. i personally think that bennetts past injuries have gotten to his head.

this preseason just looks like an extension of last years performance . i personally would like a short leash put on him . if he can perform great , but he better make it quick .

fourdoorchevelle
08-23-2005, 08:03 AM
damn double post

if bennett performs then i'm all for the vikings winning , and will say nothing bad about him. and yes eat crow .

how can this guy get the job hands down , considering his track records of both rb's.

UTVikfan
08-23-2005, 05:52 PM
There have been numerous, numerous posts on how Bennett looks in preseason. Poor arguement. Several of the best backs in the NFL at this time, have poor numbers in preseason games.
I choose Holmes and Martin for a reason, with those preseason stats ( I believe this is the first time I have posted stats, ...I must be loosing it).
Martin was "Over the hill, and all washed up" last year. Sure he was. Holmes has a big injury bug, including last year, but he is still going to start. And he should.
A knee injury takes some time to come back from, that has even happened to E. James, but of course, since its him, it doesn't matter I am sure.
Fred Taylor, Priest Holmes, Stephen Davis and others were traded/cut because of injuries. Good move? LOL, the Redskins traded Champ Bailey for Portis, do you think they missed Stephen Davis?
Things will be get right in a hurry, once the games count, if the coaching staff that see's them all in practice every single day is wrong.

Jordan
08-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Yes u guys know it micheal bennett is hurt again his injury is a neck strain and he will not play Friday againt the Chargers and MeMo will start. Finally stupid Tice gives him a chance and MeMo hopefully won't disappoint him. I think he will prove himself if our o-line holds up. Here's the link to the story. http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5573821.html

MensaTice
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Bring out the M Moore lovers. I was torn between who I wanted to start. I'm kinda glad Bennett will be out because if Moore produces we won't have any more contraversy over who's the #1 back

VKG4LFE
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not surprised about Bennett. But I think it is probably more precautionary than anything.

BBQ Platypus
08-23-2005, 08:48 PM
This doesn't strike me as being much of a headline. It's more surprising when he's HEALTHY, for crying out loud! When he gets better, I suggest making a thread entitled: "Holy Crap!!!!!!! Bennett Actually Healthy!!!!!!!!!!" :shock:

VKG4LFE
08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I can't wait for a final season headline that says "Vikings season ends in disappointment, but on the bright side Michael Bennett didn't get hurt."

Even though I'd rather see it as "Vikings win Superbowl XL with Bennett playing every game without injury!"

PAvikesfan
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
moore produces = bye bye bennett.

i hope MM gives it his all and wins the job.

briboy75
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Settle down. He'd be playing if it wasn't preseason. its not a serious injury.

DarrinNelsonguy
08-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Could be an excuse for Tice to replace Bennett with Moore. I hope Bennett does well and I know it is only preseason but he has been less than impressive so far. Let's see how Moore does with the first unit.

mark
08-23-2005, 10:31 PM
MM could rush for 200yds and bennett will still start and have a great season

so-cal vike
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

When he gets better, I suggest making a thread entitled: "Holy Crap!!!!!!! Bennett Actually Healthy!!!!!!!!!!" :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PAvikesfan
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
bennett is the starter right now, but i am questioning why....he is a shoulders forward straight speedy RB, not a juker which the team needs right now cause our Oline is lacking... a lot of people say in preseason Rb's don't do as well, but i can think of a bunch of other RB's on other teams that have been impressive or at least good.

PAvikesfan
08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
"mark" wrote:

MM could rush for 200yds and bennett will still start and have a great season

this is definately true...but i don't know about bennett having a great year though.

Del Rio
08-23-2005, 10:37 PM
They don't use the run to move the chains. They want it to be an explosive threat at all times. Tice doesn't care Bennett gets 2 yards per carry because he knows at anytime he could take one 60+ to the house. That's all the attention they give to the run game, it's not meant to be a serious workhorse to pride yourself on, he wants it to be a scary can break loose at anytime.

JDogg926
08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't think people are trashing Bennett because he is doing bad in the preseason. I think they're trashing him because of his injury history, how little he's done the past 2 years, the decline he seems to be on, and yet we keep hearing how he's the man and he's going to do this and that. Yet, even though it's just preseason we haven't even seen a flash of what the coaches and everyone say he's capable of and going to do.

If he had been healthy and somewhat consistent over the past two years, then people probably wouldn't care about what he's doing in the preseason. But after seeing what Moore and Smith were able to do, and how well Fason does against back-ups, people are frustrated that Bennett still hasn't shown them anything to be excited about yet.

I'm not against Bennett, but I understand where people are coming from when they prefer Moore over Bennett.

UkViking
08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Bennett and MeMo both bring a different style of attack so i can see them sharing game time depending on what is required for a particular game.

tastywaves
08-24-2005, 12:44 AM
They don't use the run to move the chains. They want it to be an explosive threat at all times. Tice doesn't care Bennett gets 2 yards per carry because he knows at anytime he could take one 60+ to the house. That's all the attention they give to the run game, it's not meant to be a serious workhorse to pride yourself on, he wants it to be a scary can break loose at anytime.

Yup. He's gambling that Bennett will break a couple long ones and be another big play guy on the field. He's not as concerned about 4 yds per carry because of his confidence in Daunte and the passing game. However, this could also be due to Tice's inability to actually implement a running game so they continue to focus on a passing first offense.

MeMo may be a better every down back then Bennett, more likely Fason would be better than both in this role, but none will be successfull in the Vikings offense unless they change their philosophy. If you had Daunte and 4 good receivers would you want to be a run first offense?

Del Rio
08-24-2005, 01:51 AM
My only concern is it isn't useful at critical times.

Say we are up by 10, it would be great if they just kept on attacking, but Tice (AND YOU ALL KNOW THIS) tries to manage the clock by running the ball. The problem is we have no running game, we have an all or nothing game. So you see if Tice can stick to attacking and passing great, but he wont because if the pass is incomplete the clock stops.

It's nice to have a run game, even if you don't use it. An interesting point is if you have a good run game for your defense to practice against it makes your D better against the run.