PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Short

purplehorn
03-18-2004, 11:14 AM
The Vikes are talking with line backer Brandon Short. I think
he would be a great addition to our already looking good D.

DoyleRulz84
03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
yea i agree, i would love to see him on the vikes.

Claiborne55
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Ya, he would definitely be a good addition to the D. If we could get him, the only real hole left on the D would be end. He would definitely be a huge improvement over Crocket. If they could sign him, and get DE in the draft, I think the defense would be good enough to win alot of games next year.

sitandbehitski
03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I don't know, the guy might be an improvement over Crocket, but I think that Nick Rodgers should get the chance to start.

purplehorn
03-18-2004, 01:45 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by sitandbehitski

I don't know, the guy might be an improvement over Crocket, but I think that Nick Rodgers should get the chance to start.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If we are lucky enough to get Short they could battle for the
starting spot nothing wrong with a little competition, and
having Crocket or Rodgers as a back up would't be so bad either.

VikemanX84
03-18-2004, 02:31 PM
The problem with that is cap and roster space. Also, why should we impede Rodgers progress at all? We don't need to add a starting linebacker, we've got one. It would be nice to get someone in the latter rounds of the draft for depth, but we don't need to do that either.

No Short, no Gold, don't draft D.J. - unless eh is there in the second round, which he won't be. lets just get a DE. Thats all we need.

VikingsTw
03-18-2004, 03:43 PM
I really like rodgers he is pretty fast and he is a good tackler from what i've seen, but i think he might be the backup to claiborne hes on the strong side ins't he and i also really want to see raonall smith play but he can't stay healthy, I think we could get a decent LB in the 2nd round but we got to concentrate on DE in the first unless we get ogoleye wich i think is unlikely because we don't trade draft picks

amavikesfan
03-18-2004, 06:46 PM
dudes, rogers was moved to defensive end.

Onterrio32
03-18-2004, 07:29 PM
What team was Short on last year?

Moss is Boss
03-18-2004, 08:06 PM
New York Giants

hawaiianvike21
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Would be an upgrade over crockett but i dont think brandon short would cut it for us. I could be wrong but for some reason im not sold on this guy. Not to mention i didnt hear his name a lot.

ItalianStallion
03-19-2004, 01:17 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hawaiianvike21

Would be an upgrade over crockett but i dont think brandon short would cut it for us. I could be wrong but for some reason im not sold on this guy. Not to mention i didnt hear his name a lot.

What is so great about our linebackers vikeman. E.J. is still young, though talented, Claiborne is talented but was iinjured alot last year. Nick Rogers is raw and has been moved to end I believe. Nattiel, showed flashes of skill but is undersized. Crockett is done, Raonall Smith has done nothing, Biekert is retiring most likely. D.J. is a playmaker, he is athletic, big, fast and has good instincts. He would start immediately. Depth is needed at linebacker and should be addressed in the first 3 rounds. No real reason why not the first, cept if smith or Udeze are there.

Hawgski
03-19-2004, 09:37 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ItalianStallion

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hawaiianvike21

What is so great about our linebackers vikeman. E.J. is still young, though talented, Claiborne is talented but was iinjured alot last year. Nick Rogers is raw and has been moved to end I believe. Nattiel, showed flashes of skill but is undersized. Crockett is done, Raonall Smith has done nothing, Biekert is retiring most likely. D.J. is a playmaker, he is athletic, big, fast and has good instincts. He would start immediately. Depth is needed at linebacker and should be addressed in the first 3 rounds. No real reason why not the first, cept if smith or Udeze are there.

Stallion, you are right on here. Vikeman, OLB is as much a pressing need as DE. We have 2 starting level LB's right now. Henderson and Claiborne...that's it. Stallion nailed this one with everything he said. If we don't address either of these positions before the draft, we need to move up in the draft to get Udeze or Smith. If we don't, we need to make sure we get DJ or Dansby. I like that scenario better. The likelihood of picking up one of the 2 backers at #19, and then getting Hill or Babin in the 2nd round is more realistic than getting a quality OLB in the 2nd round.

VikemanX84
03-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Nick Rodgers was our starting outside linebacker for the final 4 games of the season last year, replacing Crockett, and he did a wonderful job there, bringing the speed and ability that we were missing as our defense allowed an average of 14 pts a game. He is even listed as a OLB on the roster. I can't believe you guys didn't know that....

Mike Nattiel did show a lot of signs of being a good Linebacker when he came in, and will be a good back-up. I'd expect Crockett to be released after June 1st, if he isn't off the team already. I would like for us to draft a guy like Karlos Dansby in the second if he is there, or someone else on the first day or early second day. Just so we have some extra depth. We need a DE WAY more than a LB, as we have 3 starters there, but pending Mixon's court case, we don't have any at DE.

Hawgski
03-19-2004, 12:31 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VikemanX84

Nick Rodgers was our starting outside linebacker for the final 4 games of the season last year, replacing Crockett, and he did a wonderful job there, bringing the speed and ability that we were missing as our defense allowed an average of 14 pts a game. He is even listed as a OLB on the roster. I can't believe you guys didn't know that....

Mike Nattiel did show a lot of signs of being a good Linebacker when he came in, and will be a good back-up. I'd expect Crockett to be released after June 1st, if he isn't off the team already. I would like for us to draft a guy like Karlos Dansby in the second if he is there, or someone else on the first day or early second day. Just so we have some extra depth. We need a DE WAY more than a LB, as we have 3 starters there, but pending Mixon's court case, we don't have any at DE.

I am very well aware of that, but if you have been keeping up, they are going to move him up into the DE rotation. I agree, he did pretty good, but he did miss some assignments, and I feel he is better suited as a situational player. Don't get me wrong, I am very high on both him and Nattiel, but I don't feel either of them are starting material at the OLB position. If we draft DJ or Dansby, put either of them at the SAM and move Claiborne to the WILL.

I will side with you on, if I had to choose just one more upgrade, it would be a DE.

ItalianStallion
03-19-2004, 02:40 PM
No kidding vikeman. All I am saying is that a good linebackers is still a very real need for this team. If for some reson we stay put at 19 and Smith/Udeze are gone, the D.J. would be a great pick. DEspite signing MArcus Robinson I would still like then to draft a WR in the first or second depending on how things play out.

VikemanX84
03-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Nick Rodgers played excellent ball last season as a LB, and he played excellently 2 seasons ago too... With not having even 1 DE, and with the way things look Free Agents are going to the Draft, and possible Cuts June First (Hey! We could get Joe Johnson! j/k) I would feel extremely uneasy if we didn't draft a DE, even if we had to reach a little a bit...

amavikesfan
03-19-2004, 10:42 PM
just to throw a loop in here, tony brackins is still out there, isn't he?

Claiborne55
03-20-2004, 02:43 AM
I think that unless Smith or Udeze is there at the #19 pick (which I doubt they will be) then D.J. Williams would be the way to go. He would help out the pass rush as well as the coverage and stopping the run. Williams can always move back to end, and what about Johnstone, I didn't think he was that bad, with 10 sacks, even though he's pretty weak against the run. I think it'd be stupid to waste the #19 pick on a player like Odom, might as well trade down and get something else for it.

hawaiianvike21
03-20-2004, 04:53 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VikemanX84

Nick Rodgers played excellent ball last season as a LB, and he played excellently 2 seasons ago too... With not having even 1 DE, and with the way things look Free Agents are going to the Draft, and possible Cuts June First (Hey! We could get Joe Johnson! j/k) I would feel extremely uneasy if we didn't draft a DE, even if we had to reach a little a bit...

If we reach a little bit it would be well worth it. I hope we trade up to get uchehze or however you spell his name. Well worth it to get him. IMO.

VikemanX84
03-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I think I'll change my mind. I wasn't aware Rodgers was moved back to End. Which is really dumb.

Johnstone can only play 20 downs. There are a lot more than that in a game.

I really don't want Williams to move back to End. That isn't his position, didn't everyone notice how much better our defense, more specifically our dline did when he was on the inside.

With Mixon's future in Limbo, the fact that, since we released Talance Sawyer, We only have a guy who can play 20 downs in Johnstone. So we don't have a guy at either end.

The SMART thing to do, would be to move Nick Rodgers to OLB, where he is good. That would take care of a need at OLB, but still leave us wth 2 wholes at DE. Or we could leave him at DE, and have 3 wholes to fill unstead of 2. However, I'm going to change my mind and hope we go after Short.

I'm getting less and less optomistic about next season.

sitandbehitski
03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
With Mixon in Limbo, Tony Bracken's is looking better and better. I still hope Smith drops down to us though.

purplehorn
03-20-2004, 11:08 AM
I will stick with my original opinion and hope the get Short he plays
with alot of intensity and does his job every down and if things go our way
Smith will still be there at 19--we shall see

Moss is Boss
03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
He is gone. Just signed with the Carolina Panthers.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7203568

Ryno
03-24-2004, 07:31 PM
And he came pretty cheap, I think it was like a million a year for three years & around a million of signing bonus $$$$