PDA

View Full Version : WHAT AN UPSET!!!!

bono
08-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Of the teams the Vikings will play this coming season, which team would the vikings have the biggest upset over if they win? why?

akvikefan89
08-14-2005, 03:17 AM
None of our games would be an upset if we won.

bono
08-14-2005, 03:21 AM
no akvikefan,
i'm aware that to Viking Lovers/players, none of the victories would be considered an upset. I'm talking NFL wise...statistical wise...America's Line wise.
Which team the Vikings play this season, that most folks would think they'd lose against/have the toughest time winning...turning out to be an upset if and when they win?
I know which team the Packers would greatly upset this season, if they win: ALL OF THEM. Let's face it, the league has written my boys off for this season. Heck, a win over the Bears would be a "shock heard 'round the world!"

akvikefan89
08-14-2005, 03:22 AM
"bono" wrote:

no akvikefan,
i'm aware that to Viking Lovers/players, none of the victories would be considered an upset. I'm talking NFL wise...statistical wise...America's Line wise.
Which team the Vikings play this season, that most folks would think they'd lose against/have the toughest time winning...turning out to be an upset if and when they win?
I know which team the Packers would greatly upset this season, if they win: ALL OF THEM. Let's face it, the league has written my boys off for this season. Heck, a win over the Bears would be a "shock heard 'round the world!"
The Vikes are rated as high as any of the teams they play this season. If we played the Patriots or something then it might be a slight upset.

bono
08-14-2005, 03:25 AM
well akvikefan,
it's clear that you don't think the Vikings would lay an upset on any of the teams they play this coming season. And that's cool if you think that way. That's all you had to say, lad.
But come on, what about Atlanta? Pittsburgh?

akvikefan89
08-14-2005, 03:26 AM
"bono" wrote:

well akvikefan,
it's clear that you don't think the Vikings would lay an upset on any of the teams they play this coming season. And that's cool if you think that way. That's all you had to say, lad.
But come on, what about Atlanta? Pittsburgh?
I guess technically it would be like a 2 point upset to beat the Falcons and like a four point upset to beat the Steelers. Nothing really "upsetting" though...

DoraTheExplorer
08-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Whoa Nellie! Which sportswriter is putting the Packers down?? Any chance they get they're sucking up the fudge-Packers and Brett Favre. U can't complain for one minute that people are writing them off!

akvikefan89
08-14-2005, 03:28 AM
"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:

Whoa Nellie! Which sportswriter is putting the Packers down?? Any chance they get they're sucking up the fudge-Packers and Brett Favre. U can't complain for one minute that people are writing them off!
He wasn't complaining... :???:

bono
08-14-2005, 03:31 AM
DoraTheExplorer,
first off: nice meeting you...lass?
Secondly: where have you been all this time? Outside of sportswriters yanking on Favre's hanes -trying to get a piece of the "last days of the iron man," there has REALLY been nothing positive said about the Packers.
I was watching Around the Horn a few days ago, and I think the guys on there were predicting a horrible season. Same for the guys at PTI and NFL Live.
Sure, maybe in the past, sportswriters were sucking up to the Packers. But, that was win my boys had something to SUCK ON!!! I guess you can say they've been sucked dry. There's nothing left but dried milk.

ultravikingfan
08-14-2005, 03:56 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

Nice.

I am really starting to like you (as a fan that is). :lol:

Del Rio
08-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Since most of the sports shows say we are a favorite for the NFC along with the Panthers and the Eagles (with T.O.) you would be hard pressed to find a game that it would be an upset if we won.

Just like the Packers they have beaten so many great teams so often that nothing would surprise anyone if they won. Teams like ours Vikes/Pack are only on the upset guage if we are upset.

Personally as a fan I think if we beat the snot out of the Giants it will be an upset. I know we can, but it's on the teams shoulders to prove. If they are an underdog in any game this year it would be that maybe Carolina.

If we beat the Pack twice that will be some what of an upset.

fourdoorchevelle
08-14-2005, 04:10 AM
i get upset when we lose . i'm talking broken stuff upset .

if we beat the steelers handily then i think every one better look out!!

bono
08-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Del Rio,
you wrote: "Just like the Packers they have beaten so many great teams so often that nothing would surprise anyone if they won."
I would agree w/ you if this were any season outside of this coming one. I haven't heard any real ounce of praise for the Packers this coming season. The forecast looks cloudy, with a chance of hail.
Hey, think my boys could borrow your defense for the first half of the season? I promise we'll give 'em back!!!!

akvikefan89
08-14-2005, 04:20 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

Nice.

:shock: Whoa! scared me for a sec Ultra :lol:

magicci
08-14-2005, 04:31 AM
"bono" wrote:

Del Rio,
you wrote: "Just like the Packers they have beaten so many great teams so often that nothing would surprise anyone if they won."
I would agree w/ you if this were any season outside of this coming one. I haven't heard any real ounce of praise for the Packers this coming season. The forecast looks cloudy, with a chance of hail.
Hey, think my boys could borrow your defense for the first half of the season? I promise we'll give 'em back!!!!
finally a realist packer fans that does not have dellusions of them being that great. well actually bono, i see an upset if we beat steelers. not because of their record last year, but because they will have a more experienced and better health QB, there D will still be dominant, but the only way this will be an upset is if the steelers are having a good season because we dont play them until the near end of it.

LuckyVike
08-14-2005, 04:48 AM
I think it would possibly be an upset if we beat the Steelers. Another game that some would see an upset in would be if we beat the Ravens, although I expect us to win that game along with every game this season. :cool:

Purple
08-14-2005, 04:54 AM
I don't think the Steelers will be that good this year. The sophmore slump comes from other teams finally getting film on a young QB. Steelers QB looked"not so good the last few games" because there was film to study

magicci
08-14-2005, 04:58 AM
"Purple" wrote:

I don't think the Steelers will be that good this year. The sophmore slump comes from other teams finally getting film on a young QB. Steelers QB looked"not so good the last few games" because there was film to study
was that the same thing with daunte?

ajefx
08-14-2005, 05:07 AM
don't forget about Cris Carter and his wonderful attitude during Daunte's sophomore campaign.

ultravikingfan
08-14-2005, 05:35 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

Nice.

:shock: Whoa! scared me for a sec Ultra :lol:

You gotta go with our boys in purple! "F" the rest of the league!

In my book we are always favored...on any given sunday!

Skol!

Justin311
08-14-2005, 08:22 AM
anyone here who thinks the Vikes beating the Ravens in Baltimore outdoors in December is NOT an upset is smokin the hippy lettuce waaaay too much.

Sure on paper our Offense is better, but their D is still THAT good and with the Vikings tank job the last half of the season the past 2 years, their inability to win on grass, on the road, outdoors, etc during the month of December, i would consider it to be a upset.

collegeguyjeff
08-14-2005, 12:17 PM
i'd say whatever team that was "hot" at the time would be an upset but thats stupid to say cause if they stay healthy and can play like they should nobody should be able to beat the vikings.

Burley81
08-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't think the Steelers will be that good this year. Ben will need Plax for his maturation in his sophmore year. Especially in the playoffs.

I agree with Justin. It would be a little of an upset. Boller has a healthy Heap plus Mason, and Lewis on the ground to take pressure off of him.

But then again, our seondary could easily shut down Mason.

It would be awesome to see Fat Pat knock the he!! out of Lewis. Our D-line can take care of him anyways though...

Caine
08-14-2005, 12:33 PM
"Justin311" wrote:

anyone here who thinks the Vikes beating the Ravens in Baltimore outdoors in December is NOT an upset is smokin the hippy lettuce waaaay too much.

Sure on paper our Offense is better, but their D is still THAT good and with the Vikings tank job the last half of the season the past 2 years, their inability to win on grass, on the road, outdoors, etc during the month of December, i would consider it to be a upset.

Gee, none of that stopped us in January....

Seriously, I don't see any of our games as upset material just yet. We still have to see how these teams are all going to come together. Carolina was predicted to be a power last season, and they were barely a hiccup. Remember Oakland and Tampa after their Superbowl? They both fell apart.

I think our toughest games will be (In no particular order):
Atlanta, Pittsburg, New York, and the second game against each Division rival. All of which are very winable for us.

I do NOT see a "Second Half Melt Down" this season because we are actually fielding an entire team this year. I think that the games we lose will be because we lost focus and beat ourselves.

Caine

ultravikingfan
08-14-2005, 04:56 PM
"Burley81" wrote:

I don't think the Steelers will be that good this year. Ben will need Plax for his maturation in his sophmore year. Especially in the playoffs.

I agree with Justin. It would be a little of an upset. Boller has a healthy Heap plus Mason, and Lewis on the ground to take pressure off of him.

It would be awesome to see Fat Pat knock the he!! out of Lewis. Our D-line can take care of him anyways though...

Ben doesn't need Plax when he has Ward.

The Steelers are a run team. They get the lead, rush the ball down your throat, chew up the game clock, and play great defense. This is the formula for their success.

DaunteHOF
08-14-2005, 05:31 PM
beating the Ravens during christmas

mnjamie
08-15-2005, 12:52 AM
If ya twisted my arm, I would have to say Falcons in Atlanta. Since they did so well last year and the "D" is pretty tough.

magicci
08-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Vick will get frustrated againt our D. He will have no where to pass, he will also have no where to run with our DT's coming up the middle and DE's chasing him down the sides or having him in containment. our LB's will also keep vick in check.

Swamination
08-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Well, I consider beating the dynasty Patriots in the Superbowl would be an upset :lol:

Anyways, all Vikings bias aside, probally GB twice. I mean its easily possible, but it hasn't happened recently.

Not really Panthers,Steelers,Falcons,or Ravens because they'll just be listed as a darn good game. No clear cut winner/loser.

pigskinronin
08-15-2005, 03:11 AM
Not that it would be considered an upset, but the Giants have been a thorn in the side of the Vikings. Would be nice to make a statement and punish them on their home field --- and not just beat them but thump them soundly.

PAvikesfan
08-15-2005, 03:14 AM
i don't expect any upsets if we win... i expect an upset or two when teams beat us!

Mr Anderson
08-15-2005, 03:44 AM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

i don't expect any upsets if we win... i expect an upset or two when teams beat us!

If they beat us.

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
08-15-2005, 04:13 AM
I dont know but I just read the other day that the Vikes have the easiest schedule this year, can anyone verify or deny that???

Ltrey33
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM
"WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN" wrote:

I dont know but I just read the other day that the Vikes have the easiest schedule this year, can anyone verify or deny that???

Our schedule is the 22nd strongest. Seriously though, that's based on last year's stuff. Strength of schedule is a craps shoot in the NFL.

Justin311
08-15-2005, 06:38 AM
You are right, it didn't stop them in January, which is why i was talking about December in the regular season. expectations are one thing, but i don't see how anyone can say the Vikes winning in B-more wouldn't be an upset considering their recent history. One victory in lambeau in the playoffs is a whole different argument, but for the sake of the regular season the Vikes have yet to prove they can win on the road in December in an outdoor venue. but alas, its still week one of the preseason, after a few weeks everything will be easier to gauge.

collegeguyjeff
08-15-2005, 11:07 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Burley81" wrote:

The Steelers are a run team. They get the lead, rush the ball down your throat, chew up the game clock, and play great defense. This is the formula for their success.

yeah the steelers are a run team but too bad that staley is out and over the hill bettis has to play and try to stay healthy. and who cares about ward he is just one receiver.

Ltrey33
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Burley81" wrote:

yeah the steelers are a run team but too bad that staley is out and over the hill bettis has to play and try to stay healthy. and who cares about ward he is just one receiver.

Especially when they don't even know if Hines is going to end his holdout and play. The Steelers aren't going to be nearly as good this year, IMO.

VKG4LFE
08-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I think the question should be reversed. Like what game do you think the vikes will be upset in. That would be easy against Detroit or Chicago or any of the other crappy team we play against that we usually play down to.

mnjamie
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I think the question should be reversed. Like what game do you think the vikes will be upset in. That would be easy against Detroit or Chicago or any of the other crappy team we play against that we usually play down to.I agree VKG4LFE .... we always play down to our divisional foes and give away 2 stupid games a season. This has to end if we have any intentions of having homefield in the playoffs.