PDA

View Full Version : Mick Tingelhoff should be in the Hall Of Fame

PurpleTide
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Mick Tingelhoff played center for the Vikes for 17 yrs, and started 240
consecutive games. He played at 253 lbs, in an era against the likes of Butkiss, Nobis, Curtis. Only 1 other player in Viking history started more games #70 Jim Marshall, he's a HOF'er and now it is Tingelhoffs Turn to be recognised.

TheAnimal93
08-06-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree wholeheartedly!!
:grin:

jackyl
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Marshall isn't a HOFer.

We're helping Mick with a campaign right now.

magicci
08-06-2005, 08:41 PM
they should go in together.

TheAnimal93
08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

Marshall isn't a HOFer.

We're helping Mick with a campaign right now.

That skipped right over me, then I woke up this morning and was thinking that Jim wasnt. I had to go and correct this but you beat me to it.

Good work, Jackyl. Both of those guys are way overdue for their yellow jackets. What's the beef with #70? He should have went in a long time ago. Why doesnt he get any props?
Slighting my Buckeye/Viking...geez, WTF?
:lol:
What's the talk around WP?

djmaverick12
08-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Induct Jim Marshall & Mick Tingelhoff Now! blog (http://www.70and53.blogspot.com/)

Hi! First time writing on PurplePride.org. Definitely agree with you. Mick is long overdue on his election in the Pro Footbal Hall of Fame. I started watching the Vikings way back in the late 60's. Mick was the best center in the NFL for most of his 17 years. The only guy I think I could compare him to is Jim Otto or, maybe, Bob Johnson of the Bengals. Let me test the waters. How many of you can name another center from the era other than those three?

BTW: I started a web blog dedicated to Mick and fellow Viking great Jim Marshall. The address is up above. Hope you enjoy it. Leave your comments and feel free to join as a friend. B)

midgensa
08-11-2011, 03:25 AM
I agree that Tingelhoff probably should be in. He was the best center in the league for about a 7 year period and was a 6-time All-Pro. Tough to turn someone like that away.
He also played for winning teams known for their tough offensive and defensive lines.

As for Marshall, he is not a hall of famer in my book. I know that will be in the minority in these parts. But he only made two Pro Bowls and was never an All-Pro. He was clearly the third fiddle on the Purple People Eaters and benefited greatly from playing with two of the best defensive lineman to ever play the game.

Yes, playing lots-o-games in a row was impressive, but it should not be an automatic bid.

i_bleed_purple
08-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Induct Jim Marshall & Mick Tingelhoff Now! blog (http://www.70and53.blogspot.com/)

Hi! First time writing on PurplePride.org. Definitely agree with you. Mick is long overdue on his election in the Pro Footbal Hall of Fame. I started watching the Vikings way back in the late 60's. Mick was the best center in the NFL for most of his 17 years. The only guy I think I could compare him to is Jim Otto or, maybe, Bob Johnson of the Bengals. Let me test the waters. How many of you can name another center from the era other than those three?

BTW: I started a web blog dedicated to Mick and fellow Viking great Jim Marshall. The address is up above. Hope you enjoy it. Leave your comments and feel free to join as a friend. B)

how in the world did you manage to find a 6 year old thread to make your first post in? haha

Zeus
08-11-2011, 04:00 AM

how in the world did you manage to find a 6 year old thread to make your first post in? haha

Search for "Tinglehoff" and see how many posts you find.

=Z=

Marrdro
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I think Mick will get in, however, it might not be for awhile.

I think the HOF staff need to revisit their voting procedures. Sure seems like alot of cats like Mick slip through the cracks especially on the OL.

Only a change will alleviate the backlog they have of candidates like Mick.

VikingMike
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Mick Tingelhoff is elected to NFL Hall of Fame.

Great Vikings Center Mick Tingelhoff Elected to Hall of Fame (http://thevikingage.com/2015/01/31/great-vikings-center-mick-tingelhoff-elected-hall-fame/)

vikesrgreat2
02-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Hallelujah! It's about time!

midgensa
02-02-2015, 05:24 PM
This was great news.

I am a Hall of Fame junkie in baseball, basketball and football. I study all three and keep an eye on who is in and not in and normally have a good feel when someone will make it.

Tingelhoff looked like he might get the forever shaft for a while there and he certainly deserved to be in. He is possibly one of the five best centers to ever play the game and was a very serious component to a team that made four Super Bowl trips. And he was really one of the first great Vikings that took the team from bad expansion team all the way to the Super Bowl.

Nice to see him get his due.

tarkenton10
02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Mike Webster in the 70's was probably the best in football at that time but before around '74 I don't really know.

MaxVike
02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
I'm old, my Viking fandom started immediately after my Dad showed me the light…the G on the side of an ugly green helmet was the enemy…the rival. I was 5 years old, it's a funny story in our family.

I grew up in Western Nebraska, born in Sioux Falls, SD, where the brief story above occurred. I know, BFD…I shared at the risk of PP.O ridicule.

My point is, Viking greats…Marshall, Tark, Yary, Brown, Osborn, Kapp, Page, Eller, Winston (yes), Hilgenberg, Foreman, White (Sammie and Ed), Krause (my last name…and Paul's), Kassulke (loved that guy), and many more…would, and have, all endorsed this FA from Nebraska. And, as an Offensive Lineman in HS, and a Vikings fan, I've always admired, respected, and have been humbled by his toughness.

Mick is a wonderful man, a man of principle, family, and integrity. A great add and well deserved honor for a great Viking, one we can all admire.

UDFA who started every game, preseason, regular season, and Playoffs…for 17 years. You have got to be shitting me.

Congrats Mick and family!!!

Minniman
02-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Tingelhoff should have made it sooner. Pro Bowls are one thing, but AP first team All Pro 5 times is elite.

VikingMike
02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm old, my Viking fandom started immediately after my Dad showed me the light…the G on the side of an ugly green helmet was the enemy…the rival. I was 5 years old, it's a funny story in our family.

I grew up in Western Nebraska, born in Sioux Falls, SD, where the brief story above occurred. I know, BFD…I shared at the risk of PP.O ridicule.

My point is, Viking greats…Marshall, Tark, Yary, Brown, Osborn, Kapp, Page, Eller, Winston (yes), Hilgenberg, Foreman, White (Sammie and Ed), Krause (my last name…and Paul's), Kassulke (loved that guy), and many more…would, and have, all endorsed this FA from Nebraska. And, as an Offensive Lineman in HS, and a Vikings fan, I've always admired, respected, and have been humbled by his toughness.

Mick is a wonderful man, a man of principle, family, and integrity. A great add and well deserved honor for a great Viking, one we can all admire.

UDFA who started every game, preseason, regular season, and Playoffs…for 17 years. You have got to be shitting me.

Congrats Mick and family!!!

Well said. I grew up in NY with all those great names too. And the Wright Bros (Jeff and Nate). Sadly, I vividly recall the day I read in the paper about Karl Kassulke and his motorcycle accident, just horrible.

But Mick finally got in, and he deserved it.