PDA

View Full Version : Saw Matt Birk today

shockzilla
07-24-2005, 03:44 AM
The wife and I went to a Twin Cities auto dealer today, got a few pictures and a FREE football signed by Matt Birk. One of the pictures was one I bought a few years ago at the Vikings Draft Party, but I got one from him and had it signed "To the Gang at Purple Pride - Go Vikes!!"

Funny thing is, I asked him if he'd heard of the site before, and he said "Well, I'm not much of an internet guy - I don't even have my own email address." Go figure. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I attached the picture below.

Shock

cajunvike
07-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Dude went to HARVARD...and he doesn't have an email address!!! What gives??? Must be staying up every night solving quantum physics problems or something if he isn't on the Internet! LOL

V4L
07-24-2005, 04:32 AM
HAHA! Dude thats so steller Shock! Your the man! Maybe he will get some of the players to come on here and sign up and start posting with us.. Im asssuming it was scheduled visit correct?

PurplePeopleEaters
07-24-2005, 05:13 AM
That is awesome. He signed it just for us :cry:.

Ltrey33
07-24-2005, 05:34 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

That is awesome. He signed it just for us :cry:.

It's ok PPE...let the tears flow man. It's ok to cry! lol

Anyways...that's awesome! Great job Shock!

LuckyVike
07-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Wow Shock, that's awsome dude. Really cool of you to get it signed like that. It's kinda like you got it signed for all of us here at PP.O, especially the fellas like me that never get to see these players in person.

PurplePeopleEaters
07-24-2005, 05:44 AM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

Wow Shock, that's awsome dude. Really cool of you to get it signed like that. It's kinda like you got it signed for all of us here at PP.O, especially the fellas like me that never get to see these players in person.

I'm with ya. I never get to meet any people from teams I like. I met MJ but I wasn't a bulls fan...

natethegreat
07-24-2005, 06:22 AM

"Vikes2611" wrote:

I'm with ya. I never get to meet any people from teams I like. I met MJ but I wasn't a bulls fan...

sweet you got to meet mj, preety much the greatest basketball player ever, man how did u manage to meet him?

PurplePeopleEaters
07-24-2005, 06:26 AM
"natethegreat" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

sweet you got to meet mj, preety much the greatest basketball player ever, man how did u manage to meet him?

There is an Embassy Suites hotel right near where I live. I was over there picking up some relatives when I saw MJ walk out the door with a bunch of people around him..Since they were all reporters (for the Jimmy V golf classic) They wouldn't let them near him but fans were allowed to go up and get autographs and stuff so I got an autograph.

natethegreat
07-24-2005, 06:54 AM
i was fortunate enough to see him play a couple of times on trips to orlando watching him and the magic play and that was preety cool, i can't even imagine getting a autograph from him, very sweet

magicci
07-24-2005, 09:13 AM
your so lucky shock. so was he a cool guy, real down to earth?

fourdoorchevelle
07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
you get a chance to ask him about his injuries? aside from he'll be there? you know , from the horses mouth .

shockzilla
07-24-2005, 03:49 PM
"magicci" wrote:

your so lucky shock. so was he a cool guy, real down to earth?

Yeah, he was totally cool. I asked him if he was ready for training camp, and he said "Yeah, ready to go!".

TheAnimal93
07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Well Shock that was a real Boon for you eh? Matt is your fav active player, and then to get to talk to him and get a couple of sigs was really awesome. And way to think of all of us in the meantime.
You're a real Winner!!!
WTG!!!!
:cheers: for the SHOCKZILLA!!!!

duffVIkEs
07-24-2005, 04:58 PM

"Vikes2611" wrote:

I got to meet him too its kind of a funny story. Me and my buddy we were about 9 or 10 at the time were shooting hoops at his house. When he sees our neighbor(perry) walk into his house with some guy(MJ), and says, "dude, I think that is Micheal Jordan!"

By the time I turned around, he was gone inside, I dismissed the rare chance that the Micheal Jordan was on our street. So after about an hour of shooting we see them come out of the house, MJ just comes up and shoots with us for a good 5 minutes. All four of us(friend, me, perry, mj) just shoot around, It was amazing. Then he thanked us for letting him shoot with him, and left.

Later I found out he was working out a deal with perry to become sponsered by oakley. Wish I took a picture or got an autograph or something....ahh I was 10 no camera phones back then.

natethegreat
07-27-2005, 06:02 AM
thats preety sweet man, shootin hoops with the greatest, i myself would rather shoot hoops with him that get a pic or an autograph, just somethin about being with someone like that or a vike for more than an autograph, like my favorite autograph, maybe not the best one, was from michael bennett when i was at training camp a couple of years ago, its was after thier team lunch lunch and i saw him drivin off in his escalade so i held up my sharpie and he pulled over and told us to get in and gave me and my family some autographs, he was a really nice guy

jessejames09
07-27-2005, 06:08 AM
"natethegreat" wrote:

thats preety sweet man, shootin hoops with the greatest, i myself would rather shoot hoops with him that get a pic or an autograph, just somethin about being with someone like that or a vike for more than an autograph, like my favorite autograph, maybe not the best one, was from michael bennett when i was at training camp a couple of years ago, its was after thier team lunch lunch and i saw him drivin off in his escalade so i held up my sharpie and he pulled over and told us to get in and gave me and my family some autographs, he was a really nice guy

Ah! the old team lunch lunch.

magicci
07-27-2005, 06:12 AM
man you people are so lucky.

PurplePeopleEaters
07-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Oh yeah I also met Thor once... anyone up in minnesota know about the Minnesota Thunder soccer team. they are like b-league or something. but anyways I used to go to their games and he is their mascot...excuse my randomness.

viks_fan21
07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
matt birk, that is so cool!

SJHILL
07-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Matt Birk is THE Viking. He stands for what the Vikes are.

natethegreat
07-28-2005, 01:09 AM
"SJHILL" wrote:

Matt Birk is THE Viking. He stands for what the Vikes are. yeah man birk rules.......and remember, he went to harvard

Vikes
07-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Thats Cool...

Prophet
07-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Good work! It's nice to have family that you've never met....no strange family reunions that way.

magicci
07-28-2005, 01:21 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Thats Cool...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Carlito.jpg now thats COOL. lol

vikes09
07-28-2005, 01:22 AM
around superbowl time i went to our mall, and ran into kellen winslow. actually we grazed shoulders, but thats beyond the point. actually, it was like his elbow my shoulder, because that guy was big! i did a triple take. kellen winslow? kellen winslow!! hes famous!

my friends dad owns a limo business, so i get to meet alot of famous, or important ppl.

cajunvike
07-28-2005, 01:34 AM
"duffVIkEs" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

I got to meet him too its kind of a funny story. Me and my buddy we were about 9 or 10 at the time were shooting hoops at his house. When he sees our neighbor(perry) walk into his house with some guy(MJ), and says, "dude, I think that is Micheal Jordan!"

By the time I turned around, he was gone inside, I dismissed the rare chance that the Micheal Jordan was on our street. So after about an hour of shooting we see them come out of the house, MJ just comes up and shoots with us for a good 5 minutes. All four of us(friend, me, perry, mj) just shoot around, It was amazing. Then he thanked us for letting him shoot with him, and left.

Later I found out he was working out a deal with perry to become sponsered by oakley. Wish I took a picture or got an autograph or something....ahh I was 10 no camera phones back then.

No autograph, no pictures...yeah, right...you met him...hmmmm!

Just kidding...that is an awesome story...one to tell your grandchildren way down the road!

On the other end of the spectrum, I shot hoops with Gary Coleman from Different Strokes...just kidding...although I do have a really funny story about meeting him in a restaurant in Westwood (Los Angeles)...me and my bud had a real long chat with him and he was pretty cool. LOL

iluvbigtds
07-28-2005, 01:36 AM
I havent really met any of the new players, but I did get my picture taken with Jim Marshall, Chuck Foreman, and Joey Browner about 10 years ago when i was maybe 9 or 10, and I got autographs from them as well. At college, I met a kid who's dad works for the Vikes. He gets to hang out with the players and stuff, says there all pretty good guys, but he likes Cpep and Bennett the most.

MountainVike
07-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Good stuff, Shock. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

duffVIkEs
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
I kind of got a pic, the Perry has a pic of Mj with him and his mom, you can see me and my freind shooting hoops about 4 houses down. I can't post it here because it was Perry's picture and he moved away about 3 years ago.

magicci
07-29-2005, 05:20 AM
i met a bunch of raiders players when i was little, its all video recorded, this was when the raiders used to train in my town. i also have a Howie Long autographed magazine.

mnjamie
07-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Birk .... the ROCKS !!!!! Congrats man, now you just need to get that elusive Tommy Kramer autographed Bud Light bottle and you will be GOD in my book!!!