PDA

View Full Version : Jim Marshall In the HOF



DEVIKINGFAN!
07-08-2005, 02:58 AM
I know this has probable been a subject before but I have not seen it......
Last September a friend of mine, also a hardcore Vikes fan, traveled to Canton to see his son playing in a game held at Fawcett Stadium (West Liberty V. Walsh). Neither one of us had been to the HOF before; I must say that if you have not gone it is well worth the trip there is Viking memorabilia all over the place. Over the years the HOF committee has passed over Jim Marshall for enshrinement, WHY??? Jim was the Iron Man of the NFL ranking 3rd in seasons-20(only behind George Blanda-26, and Earl Morrall-21), 2nd in seasons with one team-19(Jackie Slater-20), 2nd in total games played-282 (George Blanda- 340), BUT MOST IMPORTANT- 1st in consecutive games played- ALSO 282 the man NEVER took a day off from the field came in the league playing and left the league the day he stopped playing- no hanging on for old time sake.
I have followed the HOF enshrinement for several years and always hear about the wrong way run after fumble recovery as the reason, until I actually saw the display I could not believe that they would keep the man out of the Hall for one mistake But lo and behold there it was his uniform and pads next to a sign that read "The Victorious Vikings" right underneath the display you could put on head phones and listen to the announcers replaying the infamous play.....
So my whole point in this post is how can we the 3,000 plus members of this forum get Marshall enshrined in the HOF?????

BBQ Platypus
07-08-2005, 05:32 AM
He's NOT in the Hall!? What the HELL!? I shall kill someone!!!

:brave: :naka: :violent1: :violent3:

shockzilla
07-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Yeah - I saw the man play. He played with heart, ferocity and guts, whether he was hurt or not (a trait of MANY a Bud Grant-coached Viking!)! If there is ANYONE who should be in the HOF, it's Marshall!!!

ultravikingfan
07-08-2005, 06:03 AM
It a shame for them to pass him over like that; truly a scar on the face of football history!

I often think of Marshall and Maris. 2 exceptional players in their era that cannot get the recognition they deserve.

Good post by the way!

cajunvike
07-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Big Jim deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...all those no-names from the early days don't have crap on him...must be more of that Viking prejudice in the media again!!!

TheAnimal93
07-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Viking (and Buckeye) blasphemy!!!
:grin:

Ltrey33
07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Big Jim deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...all those no-names from the early days don't have crap on him...must be more of that Viking prejudice in the media again!!!

There is definately some anti-purple bias around! I say we petition!

Prophet
07-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised that he's not in the HOF too. I guess every team thinks they get dogged and members that should be in the HOF get snubbed.

Here's the list of Vikings on the list (doesn't include people that played for the Vikes but started their careers elsewhere).

Dave Casper (2002) - 1983
CARL ELLER (2004) - 1964-1978
JIM FINKS (1995) - 1964-1973
BUD GRANT (1994) - 1967-1983, 1985
PAUL KRAUSE (1998) - 1968-1979
Jim Langer (1987) - 1980-1981
Hugh McElhenny (1970) - 1961-1962
ALAN PAGE (1988) - 1967-1978
Jan Stenerud (1991) - 1984-1985
FRAN TARKENTON (1986) - 1961-1966, 1972-1978
RON YARY (2001) - 1968-1981
Link HOF (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.jsp)

Del Rio
07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.

cajunvike
07-08-2005, 07:29 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.

??? So you think he will be there eventually? Or did you mean that you think that he will never be in (or alternately, you don't think that he will ever be in)?

I'm takin' you to school, DR!!!

ChiTownVike
07-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I ALWAYS THOUGHT HE WAS IN THE HALL ALONG TIME AGO!!!!!

THOSE PIECE OF SHIT VOTER PEOPLE WE SHOULD ALL GO DOWN TO CANTON RIGHT NOW AND KICK ALL OF THEIR ASSES!!!!!!!!!

cajunvike
07-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Heh, heh....Yeah, yeah...let's go kick some HOF Voter azz...heh, heh....that would be cool.

VikingMike
07-08-2005, 08:30 PM
"shockzilla" wrote:

Yeah - I saw the man play. He played with heart, ferocity and guts, whether he was hurt or not (a trait of MANY a Bud Grant-coached Viking!)! If there is ANYONE who should be in the HOF, it's Marshall!!!


Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. #70 and also #53 from those early teams should be in the Hall.

Del Rio
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.

??? So you think he will be there eventually? Or did you mean that you think that he will never be in (or alternately, you don't think that he will ever be in)?

I'm takin' you to school, DR!!!

Damn it Cajun it's Friday. Besides this is the only one I consider a good dig, the rest were yawners. lol

Jim Marshall will never be in the HOF.

cajunvike
07-08-2005, 11:52 PM
The old timers committee will come through for us...they have to put Big Jim in...THEY HAVE TO!!!

PurpleRide
07-09-2005, 02:13 AM
No superbowls thats why he is not in. His numbers were not great, but good enough plus he is the iron man of football. If they would have won just one of the superbowls he would have been in by now.

BBQ Platypus
07-09-2005, 02:31 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I was listening to a thing on ESPN radio where they were talking about how people are selected to the HOF and how seriously it was taken. There was a guy who had been on the panel many many times it was very interesting.

Basically who knows why Jim is off the list. The guy said there are a lot of players who were really really good, but the years they are up for it there are some better.

The guy was amazing no doubt, his longevity was crazy, granted he declined big time in the end. But his record of 282 consecutive games is amazing and his nfl record of 29 fumble recoveries is awesome.

He played around great players, he only went to the pro-bowl twice. I don't think he will never be in the HOF.

??? So you think he will be there eventually? Or did you mean that you think that he will never be in (or alternately, you don't think that he will ever be in)?

I'm takin' you to school, DR!!!

gol 'darnit it Cajun it's Friday. Besides this is the only one I consider a good dig, the rest were yawners. lol

Jim Marshall will never be in the HOF.

Okay, Del, it's time for Final Jeopardy! Let's see if you can find out what I mean by this:

MATT DAMON!

(Yes, I am trying to make a point related to this thread).

BTW, Del, nice sig!

DEVIKINGFAN!
07-09-2005, 02:56 AM
No Superbowls??? First team to make it to 4 (win or lose) granted they did lose (cried for each one) Page made it.. Eller finally made it... Bud made it... Tarkenton made it....Krause made it (highlight of SB XI). Both Larsen and Marshall were a big part of the PPE D, all of them deserve to be in...

PurpleRide
07-09-2005, 03:11 AM
You have to win a superbowl if your numbers are boarderline, it doesnt matter if you were part of a great defence or not. He should be in but I understand why he is not.

ultravikingfan
07-09-2005, 05:33 AM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

You have to win a superbowl if your numbers are boarderline, it doesnt matter if you were part of a great defence or not. He should be in but I understand why he is not.

He is the Iron Man of football; he deserves to be in. (so does Tommy Kramer) Hehee!

V4L
07-09-2005, 08:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/alltimeunderrated.html

go to number 6........


1000 tackles.. is great a lineman..

130 sacks is pretty good when ya got page and eller stealing them all..

29 fumbles recovered.. well its a record..

77 yard safety on him.. He got that safety on him.. also and NFL record
hahaha...

20 straight seasons.. Just simpley amazing

He should atleast be on the ballot!!

DEVIKINGFAN!
07-09-2005, 04:23 PM
He was on the ballot for several years- always passed over, I really think it was the blooper highlight that did him in. Can anyone tell me if he is in the MN Sports HOF? The man had a work ethic that goes far beyond ANY player today- he was a true role model (except for that thing about shooting himself while cleaning his gun- but he still played!!)

cajunvike
07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Favre's underhanded pass last year was just as bad as the wrong way run...and it won't stop him from getting in...of course, Big Jim doesn't have Madden up his butt bragging about him on TV all day long, either!

V4L
07-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Just look at the numbers up there.. unbelievable.. He is on that vote for 6th underratted guy too..

If he isn't going into the HOF im gonna be so pissed! that blooper is an NFL record too! He holds what 2-3 NFL records?

sureban
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

No superbowls thats why he is not in. His numbers were not great, but good enough plus he is the iron man of football. If they would have won just one of the superbowls he would have been in by now.

"No SuperBowls"???

What the "!F!" is Dan Marino doing in the Hall of Fame then???!!!???

Pissed,
Mark.

sureban
07-09-2005, 10:53 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

You have to win a superbowl if your numbers are boarderline, it doesnt matter if you were part of a great defence or not. He should be in but I understand why he is not.

"Borderline"??? Are you on DOPE??

Sincerely,
Mark.

jackyl
07-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Jim should be in.... period.

ultravikingfan
07-10-2005, 12:59 AM
"sureban" wrote:

"PurpleRide" wrote:

No superbowls thats why he is not in. His numbers were not great, but good enough plus he is the iron man of football. If they would have won just one of the superbowls he would have been in by now.

"No SuperBowls"???

What the "!F!" is Dan Marino doing in the Hall of Fame then???!!!???

Pissed,
Mark.

Uh, Dan Marino has the best numbers of all time. Jim does not.

Honest,
Dan.

DEVIKINGFAN!
07-10-2005, 01:59 AM
I agree with Jackyl totally!! Also checked out your sites OUTSTANDING!! CF44 is also one of my all time favorite Vikings.

V4L
07-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Yah he should be on the ballot this year.. and be voted in for sure.. No doubt about it.. Hands down was one of the best d-lineman ever.. If I had to pick a D-lineman to start a franchise with it would have to be Jimmy

jackyl
07-10-2005, 03:15 AM
"DEVIKINGFAN!" wrote:

CF44 is also one of my all time favorite Vikings.

Chuck's a great guy. :cool:

cajunvike
07-10-2005, 05:19 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

Jim should be in.... period.

Can you pull any strings, Jackyl??? :grin:

jackyl
07-10-2005, 05:35 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

Jim should be in.... period.

Can you pull any strings, Jackyl??? :grin:

There's a whooooooole lot of strings to pull in a HOF situation.

magicci
07-10-2005, 06:39 AM
if anyone can do it its jerry mcguire who also did mission impossible

V4L
07-10-2005, 06:44 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

Jim should be in.... period.

Can you pull any strings, Jackyl??? :grin:

There's a whooooooole lot of strings to pull in a HOF situation.


Just hire someone to go and talk to the people.. Hire someone who would carry a gun and threaten them with it (me).. Have them shoot up the place.. And maybe if they are scared enough it will work? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb003.gif

Or maybe just pull some strings.. many strings i guess

ultravikingfan
07-10-2005, 07:54 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

Jim should be in.... period.

Can you pull any strings, Jackyl??? :grin:

There's a whooooooole lot of strings to pull in a HOF situation.


Just hire someone to go and talk to the people.. Hire someone who would carry a gun and threaten them with it (me).. Have them shoot up the place.. And maybe if they are scared enough it will work? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb003.gif

Or maybe just pull some strings.. many strings i guess

What's with you and guns lately?

DEVIKINGFAN!
07-10-2005, 09:05 PM
It does take a whole lot of politicing to get in, especially after its been many years since they played- just look how long it took Carl Eller, I read somewhere that he has really been pushing for Jim in the hall as well. Last year was JM's last year of eligability for standard induction, he now has to go through a strange process as a "senior" here is a link to the list of selection board members:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

magicci
07-10-2005, 09:09 PM
marshall deserves it he is the original iron man not FAV-RAY man Marshall is like a legend too bad they didnt count sacks in that time of the NFL he would have probably had a lot too

Del Rio
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say agents don't have much say on who is chosen to the HOF.

He played with Alan Page, I agree he should be there. But he wont.
I don't know if it is because he was the rock behind a great D-line and overshadowed by HOF Page, or if it was because against the 49ers he ran the wrong damn way.

But either way should be there, and being there are two different things.

Webby
07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"jackyl" wrote:

Jim should be in.... period.

Can you pull any strings, Jackyl??? :grin:

There's a whooooooole lot of strings to pull in a HOF situation.


Just hire someone to go and talk to the people.. Hire someone who would carry a gun and threaten them with it (me).. Have them shoot up the place.. And maybe if they are scared enough it will work? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb003.gif

Or maybe just pull some strings.. many strings i guess

Quite unfunny.

cajunvike
07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
"DEVIKINGSFAN!" wrote:

It does take a whole lot of politicing to get in, especially after its been many years since they played- just look how long it took Carl Eller, I read somewhere that he has really been pushing for Jim in the hall as well. Last year was JM's last year of eligability for standard induction, he now has to go through a strange process as a "senior" here is a link to the list of selection board members:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

What if we conduct a letter-writing (or email) campaign targeting those members who can get Big Jim in???

DEVIKINGFAN!
07-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm up for a letter campaign, I'll try to get a mailing list of those on the senior commitee. We should probable screen Vikez4Lyfe letters just to make sure (LOL) it doesn't contain anything "out of the ordinary".

cajunvike
07-11-2005, 07:47 PM
"DEVIKINGSFAN!" wrote:

I'm up for a letter campaign, I'll try to get a mailing list of those on the senior commitee. We should probable screen Vikez4Lyfe letters just to make sure (LOL) it doesn't contain anything "out of the ordinary".

:laughing3:

DarrinNelsonguy
07-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I am also in support of a letter campaign.

Speaking of letter sending any MN residents that want to help pass a Gopher football stadium go to www.gophersports.com and sign up to support stadium and it will automatically send a letter to your Senator and Rep based on your home address if you want to help support the stadium.

ultravikingfan
07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DEVIKINGSFAN!" wrote:

I'm up for a letter campaign, I'll try to get a mailing list of those on the senior commitee. We should probable screen Vikez4Lyfe letters just to make sure (LOL) it doesn't contain anything "out of the ordinary".

:laughing3:

Vikez: http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/2.gif

V4L
07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Shut up u all.. I was just trying out the smilies i found.. I guess I should have waited to use them at the right time.. But that was cold Del.. Didn't have to tell me it wasn't funny.. Didn't intead to get laughs outta it.. just trying out the smilies.. So don't pay attention to my posts anyone.. Not that anyone does

Del Rio
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't know what type of movement you tried to do that got your panties wadded so far up your ass that you have lace coming out of your nose. But I didn't say anything about your smileys.

It was the Webmaster, the guy who runs the boards.

V4L
07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
My fault Del.. Didn't even mean to make that post sound like im mad.. I could care less about what people think really.. But yah when I said it was cold i was kidding.. and i thought it was u.. But it wasnt yah.. So pass me the crow

Del Rio
07-11-2005, 11:17 PM
http://www.pete-online.us/Images/EatCrow.jpg

V4L
07-11-2005, 11:19 PM
haha that pic rocks.. Already done eating it! God I feel like an idiot haha

magicci
07-12-2005, 01:46 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

haha that pic rocks.. Already done eating it! God I feel like an idiot haha
i know how u feel bro

briboy75
07-12-2005, 11:26 PM
They can't put him in because they are running out of space to dedicate to brett favre.

just kidding (i, hope)

Webby
07-13-2005, 12:15 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Shut up u all.. I was just trying out the smilies i found.. I guess I should have waited to use them at the right time.. But that was cold Del.. Didn't have to tell me it wasn't funny.. Didn't intead to get laughs outta it.. just trying out the smilies.. So don't pay attention to my posts anyone.. Not that anyone does

School shootings and murderous rampages I think have become more unfunny the more common they become. Not good joke fodder considering.

Relax a little, one post negative about your post shouldn't send you flying into outer space!! :cool:

SKOL
07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
We could come up with a "Jim Marshall for H.O.F." email spam and send it to every possible email address. It's bound to reach the senior committee.

No, I'm not serious, but I'd be in favor of a letter writing campaign.

ultravikingfan
07-13-2005, 01:09 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Shut up u all.. I was just trying out the smilies i found.. I guess I should have waited to use them at the right time.. But that was cold Del.. Didn't have to tell me it wasn't funny.. Didn't intead to get laughs outta it.. just trying out the smilies.. So don't pay attention to my posts anyone.. Not that anyone does

School shootings and murderous rampages I think have become more unfunny the more common they become. Not good joke fodder considering.

Relax a little, one post negative about your post shouldn't send you flying into outer space!! :cool:

Huh...I really never paid attention to his posts to begin with! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/cheeky/005.gif

V4L
07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Shut up u all.. I was just trying out the smilies i found.. I guess I should have waited to use them at the right time.. But that was cold Del.. Didn't have to tell me it wasn't funny.. Didn't intead to get laughs outta it.. just trying out the smilies.. So don't pay attention to my posts anyone.. Not that anyone does

School shootings and murderous rampages I think have become more unfunny the more common they become. Not good joke fodder considering.

Relax a little, one post negative about your post shouldn't send you flying into outer space!! :cool:

Huh...I really never paid attention to his posts to begin with! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/cheeky/005.gif




Yah i noticed that

magicci
07-13-2005, 01:20 AM
the truth is out

V4L
07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Shut up u all.. I was just trying out the smilies i found.. I guess I should have waited to use them at the right time.. But that was cold Del.. Didn't have to tell me it wasn't funny.. Didn't intead to get laughs outta it.. just trying out the smilies.. So don't pay attention to my posts anyone.. Not that anyone does

School shootings and murderous rampages I think have become more unfunny the more common they become. Not good joke fodder considering.

Relax a little, one post negative about your post shouldn't send you flying into outer space!! :cool:


Yah it was a little harsh.. Didnt intend for it to be funny.. Or offend anyone with the gun.. Just was trying out some smilies.. I wasn't upset or anything.. Just messing around and it did look like I was angry..