PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings New Stadium Discussion

nephilimstorm
06-29-2005, 08:43 PM
[b]
Ok so the Vikings want a new stadium, and so does Ziggy. Lets come together and try to sort out the rumors from the truth about the new stadium sites, stadium structure, and financing.

nephilimstorm
06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Can Ziggy get this done...? I'd rather see an openair stadium instead of the germ-filled Metrodome, plus open airs are not as expensive. Financing shouldn't be a problem for an owner like Ziggy since he is a man of real estate. But of course, our Minnesota government doing a good job of not producing on Vikings stadium needs...who keeps this town going anyways...the Vikes or the Twins...not that I have a problem with the twins

Del Rio
06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
All I know is I doubt it will happen unless the people of Minnesota want to fork out some cash. And if it doesn happen I want an indoor stadium. It has been debated a bit on here, and neither one show an outstanding advantage, I think it all comes down to personal preference.

COJOMAY
06-29-2005, 09:01 PM
I would like to see a stadium with a retractable roof and a natural grass surface. It will cut down on the injuries although not be as fast and the problems are, the Vikes are built for speed right now. But then in four years when a stadium would be finished, they can redirect their draft after winning the Super Bowl this year.

Vikes
06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Minnesota will get a new stadium. Hopefully it will be a retractable roof and field.

AZCARD Stadium (http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/design.html)

cajunvike
06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
The Yankees are paying for their new stadium 100% themselves...the city only has to fork over infrastructure money (subway stop, roads, etc.)...I know that other teams aren't as rich, BUT the other teams should at least fork over some percentage of the costs, depending on their ability to pay.

Vikes
06-29-2005, 09:07 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

The Yankees are paying for their new stadium 100% themselves...the city only has to fork over infrastructure money (subway stop, roads, etc.)...I know that other teams aren't as rich, BUT the other teams should at least fork over some percentage of the costs, depending on their ability to pay.

I agree 100%. If you can afford it don't buy it!

smootpepper
06-29-2005, 09:10 PM
I hope we get a stadium but I do not want another dome. A retractable roof would be ok, but i would much rather have open air stadium. And make sure they keep it easy and cheap to renovate in 20 years.

Mr Anderson
06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I would like to see a stadium with a retractable roof and a natural grass surface. It will cut down on the injuries although not be as fast and the problems are, the Vikes are built for speed right now. But then in four years when a stadium would be finished, they can redirect their draft after winning the Super Bowl this year.

I agree with having an open air stadium.

But not real grass. We should get the new Field Turf.

This stuff is great, Ive had the opportunity to play on it a few times, its made of something, and chopped up rubber, like really finely cut, its almost like sand, except rubber. It causes less injuries than grass, doesnt burn you when you slide, and costs very little to maintain.

Del Rio
06-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah well most stadiums that are built are a combination of money from the team and money from the community. If you aren't willing to pay 3 cents more for a loaf of bread don't cry when your team is in a state that wants one.

I assume the proposal will include a chunk of change from the team. The rest will fall on the state that benifits from having the team.

6-KINGS
06-29-2005, 09:54 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Yeah well most stadiums that are built are a combination of money from the team and money from the community. If you aren't willing to pay 3 cents more for a loaf of bread don't cry when your team is in a state that wants one.

I assume the proposal will include a chunk of change from the team. The rest will fall on the state that benifits from having the team.

We're The Benbrook Vikings........Benbrook Vikings........Benbrook Vikings #1

I can hear the chants echoing off the lake now..............

If the folks of Minnesota don't pony up, this team WILL leave.
It is very unusual for a city or state or both not to cough up huge amounts of money when these stadiums are built.

So this will be an issue that must be addressed soon.

smootpepper
06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Dont get me wrong here, I do want a new stadium for the vikings. And I dont know enough of how they set taxes on stadium deals so I maybe way off base here. Sure its only 3 cents on a loaf of bread. But what ever happened to the 3 cent tax that im paying on the dome? I assume the metrodome has been paid off for some time now and I dont remember seeing a tax break for it. Is the government still collecting my 3 cents everytime I buy a loaf of bread? And if so why cant that go to a new stadium?
If every time we build a new stadium, and they just keep adding on taxes sooner or later that 3 cents will be in reality 50 cents.

Maybe someone with knowledge on how these taxes are implemented could shed some light on someone in the dark here.

Del Rio
06-29-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't know what the real proposal is or was, I was just throwing that out there.

Point is if the Vikings get a new stadium you guys are going to be paying for it somehow.

akvikefan89
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
"smootpepper" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Dont get me wrong here, I do want a new stadium for the vikings. And I dont know enough of how they set taxes on stadium deals so I maybe way off base here. Sure its only 3 cents on a loaf of bread. But what ever happened to the 3 cent tax that im paying on the dome? I assume the metrodome has been paid off for some time now and I dont remember seeing a tax break for it. Is the government still collecting my 3 cents everytime I buy a loaf of bread? And if so why cant that go to a new stadium?
If every time we build a new stadium, and they just keep adding on taxes sooner or later that 3 cents will be in reality 50 cents.

Maybe someone with knowledge on how these taxes are implemented could shed some light on someone in the dark here.
I say everyone just buys one $500 loaf of bread. :lol:

LuckyVike
06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm guessing you heard that said when we was a passing offensive oriented team. We're not built for speed near as much as in past years.

smootpepper
06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I don't know what the real proposal is or was, I was just throwing that out there.

Point is if the Vikings get a new stadium you guys are going to be paying for it somehow.

I understand that it was just an example. I guess overall im just wondering what ever happened to the additional taxes that we had to take on for the met and the dome. Are those taxes still in place? Since both the met and dome have been paid for, and we are still paying taxes on them then adding more taxes is not the answer. But like I said before, im pretty ignorant on this topic.

Del Rio
06-29-2005, 10:24 PM
That's a good question.

I bet someone can tell you....maybe Ultra or Shock.....someone knows something we may have to bribe them for the answer :grin:

ultravikingfan
06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
When there is a tax increase for something special, they do not usually repeal the tax. What politician wants to take in less tax money.

In economics this year when discussed this issue. Do you know that the federal excise tax put onto your phone bill was started to help pay for WWI? I think its paid for now, but the gov't. does not want to loose money.

The Cleveland Indians play at Jacobs Field; built in the mid 90's. They raised the money by taxing tobacco in the county. The tax is still there. When it was voted on it passed by a landslide. Alcohol and tobacco are very easy targets to tax. The majority of voters do not use tobacco and see it as evil. So usually these taxes pass overwhelmingly.

If the state pays for our new "open air" dome, you will be paying the rest of your life.

Del Rio
06-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Seems like here at work. Some guys work overtime so much their life style changes and they cannot afford to not work overtime.

Maybe the state has charged you guys so much it has gotten used to that income and cannot afford to change it.

That is very interesting by the way.

akvikefan89
06-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure if I could get used to the Vikes playin on grass. Whatever keeps the Vikes in Minny though :grin:

(unless they want to move the Vikes to Alaska) :lol:

ultravikingfan
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

I'm not sure if I could get used to the Vikes playin on grass. Whatever keeps the Vikes in Minny though :grin:

If it takes them playing on broken glass to stay, I will provide the glass! :lol:

nephilimstorm
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
all i have to say is i hope they will get that darn stadium and stay...zygi already said he won't move them and i hope not...cause a move of the vikes would be diheartening to me, vikes fans, and the minneapolis community

magicci
06-30-2005, 12:55 AM
wats the point of the retractable field in the bottom pic in the Cards stadium?

DarrinNelsonguy
06-30-2005, 12:58 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"akvikefan89" wrote:

If it takes them playing on broken glass to stay, I will provide the glass! :lol:

I will switch from drinking cans of beer to bottles if that helps.

magicci
07-03-2005, 07:57 PM
does anyone know the point of the retractable field?

ItalianStallion
07-03-2005, 09:15 PM
"magicci" wrote:

In minnesota I do wonder. The main argument I'm used to hearing for an open air stadium, is a return to the "old days" where the cold provided an advantage vs visiting teams (what other motivation is there for an open air stadium in this era of super stadiums?). The main benifift of having a dome is obviously, you'll get more fans and they will be more comforatable. Not to mention weather will never determine the outcome of a game (good or bad).

If you want a retractable roof stadium, I assume you'll leave the roof open in nice weather, but if you close it in bad weather are you not taking away from your "Northern Advantage"? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to get a retractable roof unless you guys really like sun on nice days, and is that really worth the price?

bryonfos
07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
"Mr Anderson" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I agree with having an open air stadium.

But not real grass. We should get the new Field Turf.

This stuff is great, Ive had the opportunity to play on it a few times, its made of something, and chopped up rubber, like really finely cut, its almost like sand, except rubber. It causes less injuries than grass, doesnt burn you when you slide, and costs very little to maintain.

The Metrodome had field turf installed almost two years ago. The Vikes played on it for the 1st time last season, however the Twins are in their 2nd season on the new surface.

vegasvike
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

Minnesota will get a new stadium. Hopefully it will be a retractable roof and field.

AZCARD Stadium (http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/design.html)

yo I don't know if it's alreadt been said but the cards new stadium looks like one of those jiffy popcorn bags that you po on the oventop

PurpleRide
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
The problem with the stadium talk is there is no way we will get a stadium in this state. I think it is scary but i can see the twins and vikings leaving because some people in this state think there is something wrong with investment. Look at our highways, k-12, and higher ed. We won't put money into these important aspects of our state all we want to do is complain about taxes. Move somewhere else where the standard of living hasn't been set at high standards if you don't want to pay taxes. We are a high taxed state, and we have been for quite some time now, if you don't like move. I want 3 new stadiums and i do think the state has to invest into theses stadiums, 1/3 on all 3. Yeah it cost money, but in return you are set to make more...the state paid for part of the metrodump, and has seen a higher return compaired to the amount they put in. I think at one point i read the metrodump has pulled in close to $1 billion in revenue to the state since it was built. You won't get that anywhere else. If you do live in MN and don't want to pay a little more taxes, move to mississippi and see how great it is to live in a state with low taxes...I bet you'll love it.

vegasvike
07-04-2005, 01:13 AM
"magicci" wrote:

it serves the same purpose of a convertible car but in MN I would think that it would be hard to open and close when it gets cold with the atomic winters there

PurpleRide
07-04-2005, 01:32 AM
It doesn't get that cold in MN anymore, and lately we don't get that much snow either.

magicci
07-04-2005, 08:51 AM
"vegasvike" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

it serves the same purpose of a convertible car but in MN I would think that it would be hard to open and close when it gets cold with the atomic winters there
but i meant the actuacl field the field slides in and out of the stadium

olson_10
07-04-2005, 09:01 AM
free agents find an indoor field far more attractive than outdoors..plus a couple guys have said it flat out that they prefer playing indoors..the noise in the dome is enough of an advantage as it is..if we build a new place, it should be indoors, and loud as hell

olson_10
07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
and a retractable field is pointless..but at least it gives you the opportunity to practice outdoors when the weather is crappy, and ur preparing to play in lambeau or chicago in the winter..otherwise completely pointless considering that only happens once a year anyways

Prophet
07-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Vikings | Wilf Still Favors Open-Air Stadium
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:14:27 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf still prefers an open-air stadium for the team, but he thinks he has some ideas to satisfy the fans who don't want that type of stadium built. "Since I announced that idea, several weeks or months ago, I got some feedback from many people," he said. "Many people are enthused about an open-air venue. Again, much of the football season takes place in the months of September, October and November, and it's a very nice time of the season to enjoy football. We would still certainly look at the open-air venue being in a closed environment. Certainly the suites or certain seats will be available in closed environment. We're going to try and reach out and be able to satisfy everyone's demands." Wilf wants to build the finest stadium in the NFL.

ultravikingfan
07-04-2005, 04:52 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

free agents find an indoor field far more attractive than outdoors..plus a couple guys have said it flat out that they prefer playing indoors..the noise in the dome is enough of an advantage as it is..if we build a new place, it should be indoors, and loud as hell

I do not totally agree with that. How do you know that free agents prefer indoors?

PurpleRide
07-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Well they have said so. Plus even some of the vikings when interviewed said they would rather play indoors. Burleson was one of them. I would rather watch the game inside when it is below zero. We would still have to have a good team to win sep-nov in order to get that "home-field advantage" in playing in the cold.

V4L
07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

I do not totally agree with that. How do you know that free agents prefer indoors?

Alot of FA's said they don't like playing in the cold.. Like Plax.. I'm not sure if he means just being in a cold place like MN or GB.. Or actually playing in an outdoor stadium though

Prophet
07-04-2005, 05:49 PM
If the wusses don't want to play outside let them play somewhere else. Football is meant to be played outdoors. If we were talkin' badminton, well, that would be a different story.

GreenBaySlackers
07-04-2005, 05:53 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

Alot of FA's said they don't like playing in the cold.. Like Plax.. I'm not sure if he means just being in a cold place like MN or GB.. Or actually playing in an outdoor stadium though
well... he's playing outdoors in NY, so I dont really understand why he said that....

V4L
07-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Yah I dont understand it either.. And although Surtain wasn't a FA.. He said he would never play in GB or MN because of the cold.. But we don't have an outdoor stadium so that wasn't about playing in cold

ultravikingfan
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

Cold was not specified in the post. If a guy wants to play for a team that can contend, they will play outdoors in the cold. The are football players for crying out loud; not tennis players!

magicci
07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
my oh my how the football mentality has changed in these players

SamDawg84
07-04-2005, 09:52 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

Cold was not specified in the post. If a guy wants to play for a team that can contend, they will play outdoors in the cold. The are football players for crying out loud; not tennis players!

Not nessisarily.. Most of them don't really care and will play in the cold.. But there were quite a few FA's this year that didn't wanna play in the cold.. And Surtain said he would wanna be traded to any team besides the Vikes and the Pack.. But most of it is over contract issues.. A few can't or won't play in the cold unless its an away game and is nessisary to play.. But yah i do understand that cold wasn't in the post I was just adding in my 2 cents on why a indoor field is better

ultravikingfan
07-05-2005, 04:33 AM
If they can't hack playing in the cold; we don't want them. They are soft and will shrivel-up in Green Bay and Chicago.

DarrinNelsonguy
07-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Wilf's latest talk on the new stadium

taken from Sid Hartman at www.startribue.com

Coming off a vacation in Colorado, Wilf will be in town this week and plans to spend a lot of time here with the season approaching.

Wilf will continue to discuss stadium issues, primarily the Anoka County site. He is interested in building a complex around the stadium, which would include a facility that would allow the training camp to be in Blaine instead of Mankato.

"Depending on the acreage that is involved, of course there will be the stadium," he said. "We'll also have, hopefully, a Hall of Fame walk for the Vikings, a shopping facility and housing. It all depends, of course, on how much land will be made available to us, in our attempt to make this a world-class venue for both sports and for an entertainment venue."

Wilf still favors an open-air stadium but has ideas about how to satisfy fans who don't.

"Since I announced that idea, several weeks or months ago, I got some feedback from many people," he said. "Many people are enthused about an open-air venue. Again, much of the football season takes place in the months of September, October and November, and it's a very nice time of the season to enjoy football.

"We would still certainly look at the open-air venue being in a closed environment. Certainly the suites or certain seats will be available in closed environment. We're going to try and reach out and be able to satisfy everyone's demands."

Wilf is committed to building the finest stadium in the NFL.

"That's exactly what we're looking for," he said. "Right now, we're in the process of meeting with several planners, but more important, during the season as I have a chance to visit the different venues we visit on our away games, I'll have chances to spend time with the owners of those teams and with the people of the stadium authorities there and review what they've done and see what's the best.

"We're lucky that at the end of the cycle of stadiums, we're able to go ahead and pick and choose from the best of all of them so we can deliver, like I state always, the best world-class venue that the Twin Cities can have."

Wilf said he is very happy with the current Vikings staff at Winter Park and doesn't plan any changes.

Besides if he builds a new complex he can also make a ton of money selling the valuable real estate they already have in Eden Prairie which is worth a lot.