PDA

View Full Version : Top CB tandem in the NFC!

cajunvike
06-07-2005, 06:45 PM
From Scout.com article:

The Sporting News has been breaking down teams position-by-position since the draft and this week the focus was on cornerbacks. The Vikings were listed as the best team in the NFC at the CB position. How long has it been since Vikings fans (or national media) could say that?

YEAH BABY!!!

PurplePeopleEaters
06-07-2005, 06:51 PM
We might be the best in the NFL if RW would sign. * grumble grumble*

cajunvike
06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

We might be the best in the NFL if RW would sign. * grumble grumble*

We will know soon enough, I'm sure...it just depends on if RW wants to be on a winning team or if he just wants a team to "show him the money"!

Burley81
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Of course we have the best CB tandem in the NFC. With Smoot and Winfield, who wouldsay we dont?
'
But, if we sign RW we would be even better.

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
i tell all my seattle seahawks friends that but they don't believe, NOW I GOT PROOF!!!!!

waynesworld
06-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Not only were they the highest in the NFC, they had a better grade than the ravens (tops in the AFC) :occasion5:

Burley81
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
"waynesworld" wrote:

Not only were they the highest in the NFC, they had a better grade than the ravens (tops in the AFC) :occasion5:

:cheers:

midgensa
06-07-2005, 11:13 PM
As far as a tandem goes, I do think we are the best in the NFL, and with or without McQuarters, if BWill is our nickel and Irvin our 4th, we have to be considered one of the best, if not the best, corps top to bottom in the league. BWill is a solid No. 2 on many teams out there.

Swamination
06-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Makes sense :roll: .

Lotza
06-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Smoot and winfield is where it is at you know that yes!

VikingMike
06-08-2005, 03:49 AM
I agree they are the best CB tandem (probably in the NFL)...but I think the real key on defense will be the play of our LB's. They will set the tone for the D. We must have a strong showing from Nap, Cowart (and EJ), and Smith/Thomas. As far as I'm concerned, the LB's are what make a D great.

DarrinNelsonguy
06-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Man we have come along way from the days of Waseywa Serwanga and 2-8 Tate at CB. I love the CB tandom we have but Philly still has a couple good CBs so I would say that we are pretty even with them in the NFC. But we have come a long way and deserve a top ranking in the NFC.

Benficaviking
06-08-2005, 04:13 AM
i agree, pure coverage is important, but the LB is the heart of the defense. I think it has been a bit neglected in general lately. Perhaps that why the importance of Tight ends receiving is increasing so much

Ltrey33
06-08-2005, 05:23 AM
"Swamination" wrote:

What was that for?

Anyway, I'm excited for this tandem. We're gonna have a heck of a secondary, it's nice to bexcited about defense!

sdvikefan
06-08-2005, 05:27 AM
I think the last time we had a top CB tandem was with Carl Lee and Audrey McMillian over 10 years ago. Athlon and NFL Preview magazines are also both singing the praises of the Vikings secondary. With better coverage and an improved line, our pass rush should be very exciting to watch this year.

RIPCITYVIKE
06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I still like the Darious thought myself.

zeppelin4534
06-09-2005, 08:33 AM
I think we are second in the leabue with the secondary and first in cornerbacks. We have Winfeild, who is just great. Small guy with a huge punch. 1 TD last year i think it was and Smoot is just nasty and fearless. Best duo in the NFC and second in the NFL right behind the Ravens. We have depth at the CB position though. If we sign RW we will be just scary. Him and Irvin and B.WIll are all number 2's and we will have all of them at 3,4, and 5. We'll be able to defend anyone in the NFL. We arent as good as the Ravens in all around secondary given the SAfety position. We are right there though and if Sharper and Chavous can play up to potential, then its just about even. We have a great D. Im so excited.

Burley81
06-09-2005, 02:40 PM
"zeppelin4534" wrote:

I think we are second in the leabue with the secondary and first in cornerbacks. We have Winfeild, who is just great. Small guy with a huge punch. 1 TD last year i think it was and Smoot is just nasty and fearless. Best duo in the NFC and second in the NFL right behind the Ravens. We have depth at the CB position though. If we sign RW we will be just scary. Him and Irvin and B.WIll are all number 2's and we will have all of them at 3,4, and 5. We'll be able to defend anyone in the NFL. We arent as good as the Ravens in all around secondary given the SAfety position. We are right there though and if Sharper and Chavous can play up to potential, then its just about even. We have a great D. Im so excited.Good post, everything you said i believe.

If we sign R.W., and trade B-will for Darius, then I think we will top the NFL in secondary. With A-dub and Smoot starting, with R.W. at nickel and Ken Irvin at dime, with Sharper and Darius at safety, Recievers will piss their pants when they come through the middle.

zeppelin4534
06-09-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks man, you're right, if we got Darius we would be sick. No one would ever want to pass on the Minnesota Vikings ever. It feels so different to say that. Im really looking forward to the new year. I think every aspect of the Vikes game will be better, including the offense. Look out New England!

muchluv4smoot
06-10-2005, 02:48 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

"zeppelin4534" wrote:

I think we are second in the leabue with the secondary and first in cornerbacks. We have Winfeild, who is just great. Small guy with a huge punch. 1 TD last year i think it was and Smoot is just nasty and fearless. Best duo in the NFC and second in the NFL right behind the Ravens. We have depth at the CB position though. If we sign RW we will be just scary. Him and Irvin and B.WIll are all number 2's and we will have all of them at 3,4, and 5. We'll be able to defend anyone in the NFL. We arent as good as the Ravens in all around secondary given the SAfety position. We are right there though and if Sharper and Chavous can play up to potential, then its just about even. We have a great D. Im so excited.Good post, everything you said i believe.

If we sign R.W., and trade B-will for Darius, then I think we will top the NFL in secondary. With A-dub and Smoot starting, with R.W. at nickel and Ken Irvin at dime, with Sharper and Darius at safety, Recievers will piss their pants when they come through the middle.

I think we should have traded for darious when we actually could have and moved chavous to FS, instead of signing sharper. I am happy with sharper and think he is really gonna play well here, to prove the pack wrong, but I think chavous is better suited as a FS and would be good next to darious. Darious is now happy in jacksonville and del rio said he isn't gonna trade him, so it ain't gonna happen now. I think we will be fine with either chavous or offord back there at SS, with the other guys we have in our secondary.

I also really hope we get RW to sign here. Not to get rid of BW, but as a safety net, in case BW forces us to trade him or cut him, and also as a safety net, in case we have an injury or 3, to our CB's, like we did last year with irvin, winfield, and williams.

Swamination
06-10-2005, 02:50 AM
"ltrey33" wrote:

"Swamination" wrote:

What was that for?

Anyway, I'm excited for this tandem. We're gonna have a heck of a secondary, it's nice to bexcited about defense!

lol, my bad, it wasn't meant to mean anything negitive. I just didnt need to say much because the two names (Winfield and Smoot) just scream best tandem.

muchluv4smoot
06-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Also, the eagles have a heck of a secondary. They did have 3 pro bowlers last year and brown played better than lito IMO. Overall they have the 2nd best secondary, including safeties, in the NFL, behind the ravens. I would put us 3rd in secondaries(which would include chavous and B-will) and 2nd in CB's, behind baltimore. But, I am not sold on rolle being able to stay healthy, so we could easily be the best if he doesn't return to his former self.

zeppelin4534
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Im just excited about us actually being in the picture with our D, let alone being a cantidate for the best. When was the last time we had threads like this?

DaunteHOF
06-10-2005, 01:06 PM
vikings vs ravens, would love it...