PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid jinxes...

southern_yankee
05-31-2005, 11:38 PM
So this is my first suggested new topic. I'm not sure the correct protocol, but here goes nothing.

I have a problem...jinxes on my Vikings hats. My lucky hat had an unfortunate accident...you know how every Minnesotan worth their salt knows not to leave full closed pop cans (that's soda to non-Minnesotans) in the car during the winter? Apparently every Southerner knows you shouldn't leave 'em in your car during the summer...go figure.

Needless to say, I need a new hat. I'm worried because I've had some bad luck with other hats. One (the funny felt one with horns and yarn braids) is insanely bad luck when I wear it...I can't remember what year, but I got the hat as an early xmas present...I wore it during the games that day. We had three or four different ways to make the play-offs and we didn't make it. It's actually really good luck when someone else wears it...I made my roommate wear it for the first game Moss played in Lambeau (he looked like a total dork, but that game was beautiful...)

Soooo, to make a long post longer, how do you ensure your new Vikings paraphernalia is not jinxed? Is there any way to break a jinx (not that I really want to wear the felt hat)?

Del Rio
05-31-2005, 11:45 PM
I have an idea, you will need

1 bottle of moose piss, it needs to be bull moose urine, but you need to get it fresh.

1 Topps Jerry Burns card.

2 jars of sea monkeys

1 coat hanger

and

a standard screwdriver

vikes09
05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
funny, i had the same problem with my culpepper jersey and madden 2004.

whenever, i dont care what time or place, but when i played madden 2004 during the week before a game we lost. no exaggeration, we lost every single one of those games. what i did= trashed it.

for my culpepper jersey we had lost all of our games previously i wore the jersey. i thought what the heck, and i wore it during the wildcard game. :grin: we know how that ended.

ultravikingfan
06-01-2005, 12:18 AM
When your hat is no longer purple from being faded by the sun, it is not jinxed!

southern_yankee
06-01-2005, 12:51 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I have an idea, you will need

1 bottle of moose piss, it needs to be bull moose urine, but you need to get it fresh.

1 Topps Jerry Burns card.

2 jars of sea monkeys

1 coat hanger

and

a standard screwdriver

I don't think they have moose in Tx...how about I just send you the hat and you take care of it...

GreenBaySlackers
06-01-2005, 01:06 AM
my favorite viking's hat was the first one I ever got, i got it when i was 7 for my birthday. this was well before my first jersey so every sunday my dad would tell me to wear my hat so the vikings would have good luck (even though he's a Bungles fan). That was the 98 season and the only regular game we lost was the game i didnt wear the hat. Then, one terrible day my dog got ahold of that holy purple grail and you can guess what happens next, and you can guess what happened on that day to the vikes. I cried my eyes out and then when my dad told me the next morning that the vikes lost and wouldn't be in the superbowl i cried again... i still have all the tatters of that hat in a ziplock bag.

cc21
06-01-2005, 01:08 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

funny, i had the same problem with my culpepper jersey and madden 2004.

whenever, i dont care what time or place, but when i played madden 2004 during the week before a game we lost. no exaggeration, we lost every single one of those games. what i did= trashed it.

for my culpepper jersey we had lost all of our games previously i wore the jersey. i thought what the heck, and i wore it during the wildcard game. :grin: we know how that ended.i had the opposite problem. when i didnt play the team in madden that the vikes were suppose to play, we lost.

southern_yankee
06-01-2005, 01:12 AM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

my favorite viking's hat was the first one I ever got, i got it when i was 7 for my birthday. this was well before my first jersey so every sunday my dad would tell me to wear my hat so the vikings would have good luck (even though he's a Bungles fan). That was the 98 season and the only regular game we lost was the game i didnt wear the hat. Then, one terrible day my dog got ahold of that holy purple grail and you can guess what happens next, and you can guess what happened on that day to the vikes. I cried my eyes out and then when my dad told me the next morning that the vikes lost and wouldn't be in the superbowl i cried again... i still have all the tatters of that hat in a ziplock bag.

that's a really sad story. i don't think the loss is only your fault...i forgot to put my lucky purple fleece in the dryer the night so i couldn't wear it.

i wonder if jinxes add up and/or cancel each other? like if i would've worn the fleece that day, would that have canceled the loss of your hat? hmmm...

GreenBaySlackers
06-01-2005, 01:14 AM
we can only imagine...

ultravikingfan
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM

So it was you!

:lol:

GreenBaySlackers
06-01-2005, 01:25 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

So it was you!

:lol:

ah crap you figgered it out! i have something to tell you all... I am (duh duh duh!) GARY ANDERSON, i have taken up exile in a city were the fans are used to player's who screw up, but i may have to move soon...

cajunvike
06-01-2005, 01:25 AM
The Vikings have never won the Super Bowl...therefore, every piece of memorabilia is jinxed...destroy them all and buy new.

Signed,
MV Merchandising Inc.

ultravikingfan
06-01-2005, 01:32 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

The Vikings have never won the Super Bowl...therefore, every piece of memorabilia is jinxed...destroy them all and buy new.

Signed,
MV Merchandising Inc.

I take it your initials are M and V? :lol:

cajunvike
06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
No, Minnesota Vikings Merchandising, Inc.

It was a joke...you know...who would profit the most from us burning all of our old merchandise. LOL

akvikefan89
06-01-2005, 02:39 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

No, Minnesota Vikings Merchandising, Inc.

It was a joke...you know...who would profit the most from us burning all of our old merchandise. LOL
I got it :lol: . Nice :thumbright:

PurplePeopleEaters
06-01-2005, 02:46 AM
I have something like that with the Madden...

If I dont play madden the week we play we lose. If I do play madden that week I have to play the exact game we are playing or else we lose. I also have to win the game or else we lose...

Good thing I have gotten better at madden for the upcoming season!

vikes09
06-01-2005, 02:46 AM
i always thought that jinxes cross out. :lol: or add up to be really crappy for the vikes. :lol:

VikingMike
06-01-2005, 03:26 AM
"southern_yankee" wrote:

So this is my first suggested new topic. I'm not sure the correct protocol, but here goes nothing.

I have a problem...jinxes on my Vikings hats. My lucky hat had an unfortunate accident...you know how every Minnesotan worth their salt knows not to leave full closed pop cans (that's soda to non-Minnesotans) in the car during the winter? Apparently every Southerner knows you shouldn't leave 'em in your car during the summer...go figure.

Needless to say, I need a new hat. I'm worried because I've had some bad luck with other hats. One (the funny felt one with horns and yarn braids) is insanely bad luck when I wear it...I can't remember what year, but I got the hat as an early xmas present...I wore it during the games that day. We had three or four different ways to make the play-offs and we didn't make it. It's actually really good luck when someone else wears it...I made my roommate wear it for the first game Moss played in Lambeau (he looked like a total dork, but that game was beautiful...)

Soooo, to make a long post longer, how do you ensure your new Vikings paraphernalia is not jinxed? Is there any way to break a jinx (not that I really want to wear the felt hat)?

First of all, I commend you on spelling paraphernalia correctly.

Next...jinxes are a funny thing. How does one recognize a true jinx? Is it a short-term or long-term jinx (because sometimes an apparel or accessory item can be unbearable for 2 or 3 quarters but in the end it works out just fine). So one must define the acceptable timeframe for the jinx. For me it's a quarter-season (4 games)...50-50 or worse and it's history.

With a hat, it could something as simple as the manner in which it is worn, i.e. tilted, backwards, bill-up, bill flat, etc. I like the conventional way of wearing the hat, rounded bill facing forward. Again, 4 games, if better than .500 it stays.

Sometimes it's so simple...the jinx can be offset by altering one's seating arrangements, e.g. standing v. sitting, changing chairs, watching the game from outside the house through the front window. These particular things worked very well during the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series...but I digress. The important thing is that you must find your sweet spot and stick with it.

And lastly...there is no way to break the Sports Illustrated cover jinx.

http://hometown.aol.com/mcmlvi88/images/zep%20symbols%202.gif

GreenBaySlackers
06-01-2005, 03:53 AM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"southern_yankee" wrote:

Next...jinxes are a funny thing. How does one recognize a true jinx? Is it a short-term or long-term jinx (because sometimes an apparel or accessory item can be unbearable for 2 or 3 quarters but in the end it works out just fine). So one must define the acceptable timeframe for the jinx. For me it's a quarter-season (4 games)...50-50 or worse and it's history.

With a hat, it could something as simple as the manner in which it is worn, i.e. tilted, backwards, bill-up, bill flat, etc. I like the conventional way of wearing the hat, rounded bill facing forward. Again, 4 games, if better than .500 it stays.

Sometimes it's so simple...the jinx can be offset by altering one's seating arrangements, e.g. standing v. sitting, changing chairs, watching the game from outside the house through the front window. These particular things worked very well during the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series...but I digress. The important thing is that you must find your sweet spot and stick with it.

I know of the cover jinx, but idont know about it... will you fill me in on this one?

hawaiianvike21
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
"southern_yankee" wrote:

Simple. Dont believe in jinxes period. Just wear whatever you feel like and even if we are in a losing streak, we are bound for some wins. I guarantee you if you something a whole season with bad luck, we wouldnt go 0-16. Bank on it.

Prophet
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Good points. First, you have to recognize the jinx and time-frame potential of the item. If you are even suspicious of the item becoming jinxed it must be disposed of immediately. The best and most reliable way of disposal is to have the item incinerated, split the ashes into four piles and have the piles distributed as follows: first pile over the old met site, second pile over the metrodome, third pile over the governor's mansion and the fourth pile over the Mississippi River (a few ashes over every crossing that leads into Wisconsin). If this is done to all potentially jinxed merchandise you can be guaranteed a jinxless season.

Does anyone have any clothes they can lend me?

VikingMike
06-01-2005, 03:49 PM

"VikingMike" wrote:

"southern_yankee" wrote:

I know of the cover jinx, but idont know about it... will you fill me in on this one?

Here's a link that will enlighten you, although I'd be willing to bet that figure of 37.2% is low.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/2002/jinx/main/

cajunvike
06-01-2005, 06:21 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Good points. First, you have to recognize the jinx and time-frame potential of the item. If you are even suspicious of the item becoming jinxed it must be disposed of immediately. The best and most reliable way of disposal is to have the item incinerated, split the ashes into four piles and have the piles distributed as follows: first pile over the old met site, second pile over the metrodome, third pile over the governor's mansion and the fourth pile over the Mississippi River (a few ashes over every crossing that leads into Wisconsin). If this is done to all potentially jinxed merchandise you can be guaranteed a jinxless season.

Does anyone have any clothes they can lend me?

I have some old grain sacks that you can wear..only problem is that they have "Property of the Green Bay Packers" stenciled on them! :lol:

vikes09
06-01-2005, 06:26 PM
cajun!!! shame on you!!! since when do you have packers jerseys?

VKG4LFE
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I don't think there is a way to break the jinx other than burning it! I would just get a viking hard helmet if I was you, they are awesome!!!

Ltrey33
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Jinx's don't exist! Everything is fate.

ultravikingfan
06-01-2005, 10:48 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Jinx's don't exist! Everything is fate.

But trolls do...and there are plenty of them to go around! :lol:

southern_yankee
06-01-2005, 10:58 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I don't think there is a way to break the jinx other than burning it! I would just get a viking hard helmet if I was you, they are awesome!!!

what do you do if it's a mixed jinx? the ugly felt hat worked it's magic when my ex-roommate wore it (a la the butt-kicking we handed the packers at moss' first game at lambeau)...if i burn it, maybe i destroy the good luck part...wouldn't that anger the football gods? or would i be appeasing them by burning the bad luck out of it?

thank you for the advice, but i have to say that the hard helmet is not 'the look' for me, so to speak.

ultravikingfan
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

What if you go to burn your hat, but it does not burn; scary! :shock:

Prophet
06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I have some old grain sacks that you can wear..only problem is that they have "Property of the Green Bay Packers" stenciled on them! :lol:

Thanks cajun, I'm dead broke after the ash sprinklings and I have this feeling that my home might be jinxed now. I hope my family understands that the jinx has to be destroyed. I will have to watch the games at the bar this year it appears.

I have a feeling that my new big screen tv is jinxed because the Vikes didn't make it to the big dance last year. I caught a buzz from the fumes emmitted while burning the TV.

I have to go to the bank today (before I burn down the house) and take out a home equity loan so I can afford to dispose of the ashes appropriately.

This had better be the year. I don't have any more stuff to burn.

vikes09
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
if you really have problems, i could take your house off your hands for you. :lol: