PDA

View Full Version : Jim Fassell, future coach???

audioghost
05-29-2005, 11:33 PM
From the NY Daily News:

Perfect for Purple

Vikes coach Mike Tice is in the last year of his contract and it's too late for new owner Zigy Wilf to make a change for this season. But Wilf has made no promises to extend Tice's deal until he has a chance to review the coach's work. Considering Wilf's emotional attachment to the Giants, here's a prediction on the next Vikings coach: Jim Fassel. He would be an easy sell to Vikings fans. It was Fassel's Giants who beat the Vikings 41-0 in the 2000 NFC Championship Game.

I dunno about all that, but I would like to see Cottrell take over the helm if the D performs well this year! Jim Fossell wouldn't be a horrible fit tho....

FallingAlice
05-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Didn't Cottrell once serve as head coach of the Bengals?

Are you sure you would want that?

If I were Wilf, I'd try to lure Charlie Weiss away from Notre Dame for big bucks. Everyone knows Weiss wants to be a pro head coach. He's got the perfect offensive credentials to lead a team like the Vikings. He's also known as a tough, nasty S-O-B who would garner the team's attention and respect right quick. Your days of whizzinators and felonious traffic offenses (not to mention ticky-tacky, drive-killing illegal motion penalties) would come quickly to an end.

He's a perfect match for Wilf. Weiss originally cut his teeth with the Giants and he's a Jersey Guy.

Not only that, but by the time next year rolls around Weis'll be screaming from the pain inflicted on him by Notre Dame alumni. He'll be ready for a change.

jackyl
05-30-2005, 12:06 AM
"FallingAlice" wrote:

Didn't Cottrell once serve as head coach of the Bengals?

No.

Rutgers 1973-80, 83 (Defensive line & Defensive Coordinator), Kansas City Chiefs 1981-82 (Linebackers), New Jersey Generals (USFL) 1984-85 (Defensive Line), Buffalo Bills 1986-89 (Defensive Line, Linebackers & Defensive Coordinator), 95-2000, Arizona Cardinals 1990-94 (Defensive Line & Linebackers), New York Jets 2001-2003 (Assistant Head Coach & Defensive Coordinator), Minnesota Vikings 2004.

Lotza
05-30-2005, 12:39 AM
fassel? i'll pass...

PurplePackerEater
05-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Not crazy about Fassel.

We have one more year with Tice and I'm not ready to write him off yet. Some predict Tice taking us to the SB, let's wait and see what happens before we elect a new Head Coach.

kramer9guy
05-30-2005, 01:49 AM
There is no doubt Fassell is going to get another chance to coach an NFL team. And if we don't go deep into the playoffs this coming season, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fassell replaces Tice. Especially considering the new owner's ties to the NY Giants...

Karl
05-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Well if Tice underperforms Fassell wouldn't be the worst choice as a head coach, but I think Tice will do a great job this year.

cc21
05-30-2005, 02:57 AM
I like Mike Tice. I say we give him more money and sign him to a long deal.

Ltrey33
05-30-2005, 03:17 AM
If Fassel has learned from Billick, I say yes, otherwise...no!

morepepper
05-30-2005, 03:37 AM
i dont think tice is the long term answer for this team. i predict a coaching change next of season

ultravikingfan
05-30-2005, 04:09 AM
"morepepper" wrote:

i dont think tice is the long term answer for this team. i predict a coaching change next of season

Depends on our success this season.

cajunvike
05-30-2005, 04:12 AM
Fassel...I'll passel!

BigMoInAZ
05-30-2005, 04:26 AM
My GOT the rumors have started already? Anyone wanting Jim Fassel as a head coach and actually thinks he's any more of an improvement over MEAT HEAD TICE needs a lobotomy YESTERDAY! If Wigi, or Zigi or whatever the new owner calls himself decides a change is in order he better buy the best damn coach money can purchase and folks, FASSEL is not that person! End of rumor, shoot the messanger!

:twisted:

ajefx
05-30-2005, 03:52 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

what would he have learned from Billick last year?

ultravikingfan
05-30-2005, 04:18 PM
He was just Boller's QB trainer.

Did not learn much since Boller sucks!

Paulbedy59
05-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I,m not hot on the idea of Fassel.And I am going to wait to see what Tice does this year.Word is Shannahan may be done in Denver if things don,t go well over there.I would prefer him as coach if Tice don,t get it done.

Ltrey33
05-30-2005, 05:30 PM
"ajefx" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

what would he have learned from Billick last year?

I was saying if he's a Billick clone, bring him back. I just have this idealistic thing in my head that Billick is gonna come back and coach the Vikes. I guess I'm still living in 1998!

jdvike
05-30-2005, 06:01 PM
If Billick is such a offensive genius...where is the offense in Baltimore?
nay on Fassel !

OaklandVike
06-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Vikes coach Mike Tice is in the last year of his contract and it's too late for new owner Zigy Wilf to make a change for this season. But Wilf has made no promises to extend Tice's deal until he has a chance to review the coach's work. Considering Wilf's emotional attachment to the Giants, here's a prediction on the next Vikings coach: Jim Fassel. He would be an easy sell to Vikings fans. It was Fassel's Giants who beat the Vikings 41-0 in the 2000 NFC Championship Game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/313989p-268592c.html

anyone see this? my apologies if it's old news here, it was in the nydaily news on 5/29.

LuckyVike
06-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Interesting post man. I've come to the conclusion that most people on these boards hate Tice but I for one like him. He does make bad calls sometimes, but I feel he's growing into a good coach.

OaklandVike
06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

Interesting post man. I've come to the conclusion that most people on these boards hate Tice but I for one like him. He does make bad calls sometimes, but I feel he's growing into a good coach.

I'm not sure Fassel would be an upgrade. We'll have to see how Tice does this year. No excuses with this team...at least on paper.

cajunvike
06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

audioghost
06-02-2005, 12:02 AM
[quote="ltrey33If Fassel has learned from Billick, I say yes, otherwise...no![/quote]

You need good players to have a good offense as well....Kyle Boller just doesn't cut it as a QB....the guy blows....I've always said that.........

Although I once said David Carr was gonna be average, I said Harrington was gonna be great, and I said Boler would blow.....also thought Leftwich was the next Steve McNair, so I gues I'm not the most accurate predicter, but I'll settle for 2 for 4.

Anyways...Fassell wouldn't be the best fit at head coach, but he wouldn't be the worst fit either! At least we aren't hearing rumors about Dennis Erickson!

ultravikingfan
06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Or Les Steckyl!

Ha! For us old timers: More Bud, Les Steckyl! :lol:

kramer9guy
06-02-2005, 12:28 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Or Les Steckyl!

Ha! For us old timers: More Bud, Les Steckyl! :lol:

lol...no doubt. Tice is like the second coming of Bill Walsh compared to what we got with ol' Les. Granted, he only had one season to work his magic, but that season sure was one to remember...or should I say forget.

DarrinNelsonguy
06-02-2005, 12:32 AM
I do not want Fassell. If we are going to get a new coach let's get a great young coach or someone who has been around a winning organization in the NFL. Cottrell would be a good coach in this league I think.

collegeguyjeff
06-02-2005, 02:21 AM
fassel sucks

mnjamie
06-02-2005, 03:25 AM
not gonna happen ....... next?

DarrinNelsonguy
06-02-2005, 03:28 AM
After thought lets get Dom Capers the creator of the Blitsburgh defense, I mean look at Belichek he was terrible his 1st time around in Cleveland and look at him now.

kramer9guy
06-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Not that I'm a big Fassell backer or anything but, he did bring the Giants to the Super Bowl and that is more than you can say for the majority of other coaches around including Denny Green. Just sayin'...

damviking
06-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Darrin Nelson guy, come on he lost the nfc for us in the end fone in washington.

DarrinNelsonguy
06-02-2005, 03:33 AM
That is in the past man, look on the bright side he was one of the pieces that brought us Herschel Walker.

WTF were we thinking?

damviking
06-02-2005, 03:36 AM
i do like your chose in joey browner though

bryonfos
06-02-2005, 04:02 AM
Fassel would be horrible,Weiss should stay in N.D. Cotrell can keep his D. Coord. job, I still think Tice is the best man for the job. I remember when I was younger, going to the games at the Met, seeing the intensity and the love on the face of Bud Grant, going to the dome now, I see the same expression on the face of Tice. Not to mention he could still whip the snot out of any of those guys.

canadian_vikes_fan
06-02-2005, 04:09 AM
I say just stick with Tice. Not because I think he's such a great coach, but I don't think there's anyone out there that's any better. For sure not Fassell. Definitely not Cotrell - I'm not even sure I trust him with the defence.

Overall, I think Tice is an adequate coach and the players seem to like him (except for Randy) so we might as well just keep him unless the team really underachieves.

ultravikingfan
06-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Fassell has to be pretty high up to be considered for a future coaching position.

Prophet
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Fossil would be a horrible choice. I am not a Tice fan, but I would even take Tice over the Fossil. Fossil blew key games with inconsistent coaching more than once when he was in the helm with the Jints. I distinctly remember them blowing a three touchdown + lead in a wild card game a few years back (I also remember him blowing away the Vikes 41-0...but I block that out of my memory whenever possible). They even were blown away by a mediocre Saints team by over 37 pts.

Yes, I'm pointing out the blunders in his career, but the guy is not an elite coach. If you have to pay a bunch of coin to a prospective coach then go after someone that has worked their way up through the ranks and shows potential (like Romeo Crennel, the Browns HC).

It is obvious that if Tice does not go deep into the playoffs this year he will be walking. I sure hope that Fossil is not even in the considerations for his replacement if that comes to be.