PDA

View Full Version : C-Pep On The New D

SKOL
05-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Sid Hartman, Star Trib - Good Read

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said that in the team's recent minicamps, he could see major improvement in the team's defense.

The addition of Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper in the secondary and the rush provided by new defensive lineman Pat Williams, all signed as free agents, has made a big difference.

"They're very quick, they're very fast and they are guys who really want to make big plays," Culpepper said.

Culpepper already had a lot of respect for Antoine Winfield, the highly rated cornerback who joined the team a year ago. And now with Smoot on the other side, Culpepper can see a difference.

"They're two lock-down corners. Not many teams have two lock-down corners like that," Culpepper said. "I have had trouble throwing against them. I've got to be on point. It makes me step my game up, having guys like that out there covering our receivers. I've got to put the ball right where it's supposed to be, and I can't have many errors.

"It's going to make me better because I've got to be that much better to complete balls against those two guys."

Culpepper led the NFL with 4,717 passing yards and a .692 completion percentage last season and had an NFC-high 110.9 passer rating. But his favorite target, Randy Moss, was traded to Oakland. In five seasons, they combined for 53 touchdown passes.

"I'm not going to say it's different because Randy's not here," Culpepper said. "If Randy was here, he's obviously a great player, but he's not here, so we've got to deal with that and be the best team we can be.

"But that's a great opportunity for other guys to step up and make a lot of plays. And I got to tell you that right now -- we're going to be a great team."

fourdoorchevelle
05-23-2005, 09:49 AM
it's gonna be hard to imagine what it's like to have a good defence again. im not sure that its really set in . just can't wait!!

collegeguyjeff
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

it's gonna be hard to imagine what it's like to have a good defence again. im not sure that its really set in . just can't wait!!

the thing that will be good to see is the fact that we have a good defense and a good offense when was the last time that happened?

ejmat
05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Actually in 1998 the D wasn't that bad. If you look at end of year stats they were but when you look at the first 2 1/2 qtrs vs. the ladder they had pretty good stats. The thing that was happening is they were so far up on teams that all teams did was pass and go to hurry ups. They lost alot of players after that season with the salary cap problems.

gpless05
05-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Ya that was back when we had jimmy hitchcock and company. I Think that this defense is going to dangerous and explosive. You could prolly make a fight that our Defense is the best out there

DarrinNelsonguy
05-23-2005, 05:04 PM
The talent level is good lets just hope that they gel together fast and start the season playing great.

smoot2boot
05-23-2005, 06:27 PM
The defense has a lot of potential but until the season starts thtats all it is potential. Lets hope they live up to it.

V4L
05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I cant wait to see us play this year.. i think we might start off a little slow but still not play bad.. and pick it up after about 3 games and have a dominent D

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 10:42 PM
We have a formula for a really kick butt D. Lets hope that it does not backfire on us! I think we are going to like what we see! (SB rings) :wink:

cajunvike
05-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Pep KNOWS that he now has the defense to compliment his offense...and that he won't have to score so much at the end of the game to win...the defense will make whatever lead the offense gets stand up!

rjkvikings
05-24-2005, 04:31 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Pep KNOWS that he now has the defense to compliment his offense...and that he won't have to score so much at the end of the game to win...the defense will make whatever lead the offense gets stand up!

And if the offense can't get a lead (which isn't likely anyways), the D will probably score and create the lead themselves because they are just that good!

briboy75
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
i find all this ass kissing annoying. every offseason we proclaim that *this* is the year the defense is fixed. dante said the defense was improved alot last year too. We have a very diffent offense and defense this year. i hope they are better. overall they should be. calling our defenses one of the best is an insult to the players. lets see them in *real* action before we start calling them super bowl champions favorites and other rediculous claims.

happy camper
05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
nothing wrong with optimism dude.

Del Rio
05-24-2005, 05:44 PM
As is realism.

I agree with you Briboy75. I also see nothing wrong with people getting pumped up over the coming season. They are investing more emotionally so the highs will be higher and the lows will hurt worse.

cajunvike
05-24-2005, 06:48 PM
"briboy75" wrote:

i find all this jiggly butt kissing annoying. every offseason we proclaim that *this* is the year the defense is fixed. dante said the defense was improved alot last year too. We have a very diffent offense and defense this year. i hope they are better. overall they should be. calling our defenses one of the best is an insult to the players. lets see them in *real* action before we start calling them super bowl champions favorites and other rediculous claims.

Just remember "fan" IS short for "fanatic"! :lol:

VIKE$4LIFE
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
MAN I CANT WAIT FOR THIS SEASON TO START IM GOING CRAZY JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!!