PDA

View Full Version : Wilf Says Vikes Will Stay

PurplePackerEater
05-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I hope he's telling the truth of today, as well as the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_380923_63&prov=citadel&type=story

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-wilfpledgeshewouldntmovev&prov=knight&type=lgns

Quote: "While Red McCombs said the same thing -- perhaps more because of an ironclad lease that would cost millions in lawsuit fees to break -- Wilf is saying all the right things to ease the fears of Vikings fans."

I wonder what will happen after the lease is up.

FuadFan
05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
The lease expires in 2011 if we want a new stadium something got to happen in the next two or three years. I'm just worried about the fact that the Vikings, Twins, and Minnesota college teams all want to get new places at the same time when the taxpayers don't want to pay for any of them.

PurplePackerEater
05-22-2005, 11:50 PM
I think that the Twins and the U of M should stay at the dome and be happy with what they got for a while. I went to a Twins game a few years ago and the place was empty. Also, I don't see a need to waste a decent stadium.

Ltrey33
05-23-2005, 01:05 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

I think that the Twins and the U of M should stay at the dome and be happy with what they got for a while. I went to a Twins game a few years ago and the place was empty. Also, I don't see a need to waste a decent stadium.

You're right, it is a decent stadium. The only problem is it doesn't have any cash makers. The only thing the owners are worried about are luxury sweets and other things they can make oodles of $ off of. The dome doesn't have a lot of that because its over 20 years old. That's the problem.

I hope Wilf is right though.

muchluv4smoot
05-23-2005, 02:46 AM
The chiefs could move to LA now.

From PFT:

CHIEFS SUDDENLY LOOKING TO L.A.?

Though it had been widely thought that either the Saints or the Vikings would be the team to fill the market vacated by the NFL ten years ago, there's a new team in line to pull up the teepees and roll to Cali.

The Kansas City Chiefs.

Per The Kansas City Star, new Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt recently told a group of politicians that, if renovations to the Truman Sports Complex are not completed, the team could very well vamoose.

The Chiefs are locked in to a lease that expires in 2014, but they would be permitted to am-scray if Jackson County defaults on its obligation to maintain Arrowhead Stadium.

Due to a lack of funding, a default could occur by late 2006.

The locals seem to be taking this seriously, since Clark Hunt is now firmly in control of the former AFL team that his father, Lamar, founded as the Dallas Texans before moving the organization to Kansas City in 1963.

“Clark's taken over, and there's some concern that Clark isn't as committed to Kansas City as Lamar,� said Bryan Pratt, a Missouri legislator.

The younger Hunt has yet to mention Los Angeles as a possible destination, but any team thinking about greener pastures would be nuts not to park in the nation's No. 2 market.

For one thing, the NFL has made clear its intention to put a team back in L.A. And given the growing disparity between high-revenue and low-revenue teams (scroll down for more), what owner wouldn't want to be in position to sell big-dollar luxury suites to hundreds of entertainment types with money to burn?

Another hidden benefit to moving the Chiefs to L.A. is that their membership in the AFC West means that, every year, the Raiders would come back to the town where they still have plenty of fans.

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 03:08 AM
Good! As long as its not the Vikes I could care less who moves there.

It would be a shame to see the "Chefs" move. They have a good history and some great fans.

smootpepper
05-23-2005, 03:09 AM

I think it was seattle that had the same problem with no one going to the games, but they built a new stadium and the place has been packed ever since. The only reason I dont go to the twins games more (I go to 4 or 5 a year) is because the stadium sucks for baseball.

I think a new stadium that has more of a baseball park feel would help the twins just like it helped the seattle. If you have ever gone to wrigley field you would know just what I mean. that stadium is old but it has the feel of baseball.

muchluv4smoot
05-23-2005, 03:31 AM
"smootpepper" wrote:

I think it was seattle that had the same problem with no one going to the games, but they built a new stadium and the place has been packed ever since. The only reason I dont go to the twins games more (I go to 4 or 5 a year) is because the stadium sucks for baseball.

I think a new stadium that has more of a baseball park feel would help the twins just like it helped the seattle. If you have ever gone to wrigley field you would know just what I mean. that stadium is old but it has the feel of baseball.

Yep, a new stadium would do wonders for our crappy attendance at twins games.

Check the attendance records of every team that built a new stadium and you will see a huge increase the year they opened the new stadium, no matter how crappy the team.

An awesome stadium with a good team like the twins, and we should get a great boost in attendance.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-23-2005, 03:55 AM
I hope that he is not fibbing

vikingdude82
05-23-2005, 04:06 AM
good post sir.

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 05:08 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

I hope that he is not fibbing

Hey, delete some of your photos in the photobucket account so you are not excedding your bw.

collegeguyjeff
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
first off wilf could move the team to LA but he won't get support like he does here and also he won't have all the land that he wants to develop on; wilfs about making money and he can make more money here than in LA. the raiders and rams didn't work in LA. also the metrodome is good enough for baseball if they want luxary suites they should just add some in cause nobody goes to games anyways so why should they get a new stadium if nobody goes to games? the football games are always sold out so i think they should get the stadium cause they bring in the money, more tax money and they can make it 72,000 seats and they would fill it up. if they don't have a roof they can't get the super bowl but who cares sure it brings in a lot of money but thats a one time thing over 30 years and that averages out to not much money. the roof can cost 100 to 150 million just to put a roof on. so we need a open air stadium that would be cool. anyways who wants to pay huge money to see a super bowl in your home town if the superbowl don't have your team playing in it?

PurplePackerEater
05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"smootpepper" wrote:

Yep, a new stadium would do wonders for our crappy attendance at twins games.

Check the attendance records of every team that built a new stadium and you will see a huge increase the year they opened the new stadium, no matter how crappy the team.

An awesome stadium with a good team like the twins, and we should get a great boost in attendance.

If I was positive that a new stadium would raise attendance considerabley, I would be for it. After all, I like to jump on the bandwagon when their doing well. I've watched every World Series game when I was young.

PurpleRide
05-23-2005, 02:53 PM
The twins and gophers will probably get their stadium bills passed this year....Vikings your on the clock!

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

The twins and gophers will probably get their stadium bills passed this year....Vikings your on the clock!

Anytime we are on the clock it could get ugly! :lol:

cajunvike
05-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't believe Wilf for a minute! Ziggi is selling Stardust to the locals!

VikingMike
05-24-2005, 04:25 AM

I hope he's telling the truth of today, as well as the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_380923_63&prov=citadel&type=story

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-wilfpledgeshewouldntmovev&prov=knight&type=lgns

Quote: "While Red McCombs said the same thing -- perhaps more because of an ironclad lease that would cost millions in lawsuit fees to break -- Wilf is saying all the right things to ease the fears of Vikings fans."

I wonder what will happen after the lease is up.

I certainly don't like relying on a real estate developer for "truth"...and I'll be very upset if he decides at some future point in time that it's right for the franchise to move to LA.

http://hometown.aol.com/mcmlvi88/images/zep%20symbols%202.gif

cajunvike
05-24-2005, 08:18 AM
No one should trust this guy...we need to find a way to get Taylor to step in and save the day for us loyal Viking fans!

audioghost
05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

No one should trust this guy...we need to find a way to get Taylor to step in and save the day for us loyal Viking fans!

I trust nobody, except people who think like me....Glen Taylor lives where I live, he already owns a team her (he's a fan of the Vikes....not a Giants fan), and he would be willing to make the Vikes better....Wilf will just be another McCombs....a businessman using my team to add to his immense wealth, and I hate it. You trust anyone, and your sh!t gets stolen! I don't want the Vikes to get stolen by Wilf!

cajunvike
05-24-2005, 08:43 AM
You are on the right track, audioghost...the Vikings need a local boy...one who will keep the team in Minnesota and who will get us that new stadium!!!

audioghost
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
FROM MR. CHEER OR DIE'S VIKING UNDERGROUND:

"Now, on to today's little thread.

Today we should see the demise of one Red McCombs and the acension of Zygi Wilf as the new owner of the Vikings. And the jury is out whether that will be a good thing or not.

I know, I know....anyone is better than McCombs. But let's not be too hasty. At least McCombs kept his promise to me to never move the Vikings. And even that promise was getting a little dicey towards the end.

Red also spent the bucks when the team needed improvement. My bitch here is that he did just enough to keep us interested but had it maxed out the cap the Vikes could be sporting a ring or two.

Wilf is saying all the right things currently. The team will stay put....will build a new stadium not necessarily with tax-payer dollars...its all about family....will find a house here....wants to bring a Super Bowl championship. It all sounds great.

But then, he's a fan of a team that has been the Vikings achilles heel the last few years. He is a East coast guy with fly-over-country mentality. He may be more into financial success off the field than team success on.

But as with every previous ownership, they will get a honeymoon period from me. I'm just hoping that Zygi's first season is as wonderful as Red's was....and with a better ending!

If there is a press conference with Zygi this week I will try my best to attend it and bring you some photos.

Again, sorry for the short post. It's now back to that home project."

josdin00
05-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Back to one of those articles that were posted. Can you imagine if the Kansas City Cheifs moved to LA? Los Angelis is perhaps the most politically correct cities in this nation, and they get a team named the Chiefs? That just sounds like comedy waiting to happen.