PDA

View Full Version : What do u hate about Metrodome?

audioghost
05-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Mr. Cheer or Die posted this list of things he hates about the Metrodome.....just thought I'd ask the locals their thoughts....

1) The blast of air that pushes you out of the stadium after games. I just had to get that out of the way right off the bat as it is the most obvious.

2) The urinal troughs. I don't care how bad I have to go, the minute I see 15 guys lined up at the trough I suddenly don't have to go as bad. In fact, I could stand there for an hour and never get out a drop. When they tear down the Dome I am actually considering trying to get a hold of a trough and setting it up in my basement bathroom just to freak people out who come over. You can't put a price on that kind of entertainment.

3) The Baggie. Really, there should be no need to explain it, but that baggie is, for better or worse, the signature aspect of our baseball field. Minute Maid Park has the hill in CF, we have the Baggie. Bank One Ballpark has the hot tubs, we have the Baggie. It is truly disgusting, but I know we will look back on this and laugh.

4) The Field Fare concession stands. I can imagine this conversation took place during the planning for the Dome. Planner One: "I know! Let's make really narrow concourses, far too few concession stands, and then let's staff those stands with volunteers who have never worked there before!!" Planner Two: "We shall dub these stands "Field Fare" and people will love them (even though they will stand in line for an hour just to get a hot dog)."

5) The cup-holders built into the seats. Have you ever noticed that the rows at the Metrodome have 2 fewer cup-holders than is necessary if everyone has a drink? My son and I got two drinks while at the game Friday night. We were sitting in seats 1 and 2 in our row, and someone was already sitting in seat 3 when we got there. He was already using the cup-holder in front of him. My son put his cup in the holder in front of him. This, of course, left me with no cup-holder. Who is the genius that came up with this strategy?

6) The speakers. Have you ever looked up at the speakers over the field? They are enormous. I can't believe that the teflon dome can hold these monsters up. Scary when you think about it.

7) The curtain. What other stadium needs a huge curtain to cover up the mass of unused seats every game? How long before we need a curtain at the new stadium? Five years? Never? Hopefully we'll get a chance to find out.

8) The sight lines. This is my view of the game from the third base line if I look straight ahead. Like I said on this picture, absolutely pathetic. I make it a point to never sit on the 3rd base line because of how sick I get of turning my head to the right. After nine innings it literally gets painful.

9) The roof. I know I've already said that "I don't need no stinking roof" but it was cold Friday night. I was happy to have a roof over my head and a comfortable temperature of 72 degrees to enjoy the game in. I guarantee there won't be a person alive in Minnesota that won't miss that roof at some point.

10) The football press box area. Also known as the Cambria Sky Box. I think it is hilarious that parties are held in this press area every game. I wonder if the Vikings get the money for selling out this area too.

11) The Astroturf. This is something I already miss and look back on with nostalgia. That old field was horrible. I think Keith Millard once said it was like playing a game out on 494. Do you remember how during the last season on this surface they painted it with faint, white stripes to give it that "just mowed" appearance? Wow. How ridiculous.

12) The noise. A new stadium for either the Twins or the Vikings will never be able to duplicate the ear splitting noise I have experienced in the Dome. Noise so loud it disorients you for two days after the game. That is what I call home field advantage.

13) Lastly, I'll always remember the first time I walked into the majestic Metrodome and how, as a child, I was just stunned by the enormity of it all. It blew me away how big the place was, and how it was all enclosed in a single "room." I fell in love with the place immediately. I'm sure most of you had a similar reaction.

I haven't been there in a while, but I do remember the air blasts coming in and out, I thought they were cool when I was a kid watching Vikes games in the late eighties!

smootpepper
05-19-2005, 04:45 AM
I think he covered all of them. We need to get rid of that place.

ultravikingfan
05-19-2005, 04:46 AM
We need an attractive stadium, preferably outdoor.

TheAnimal93
05-19-2005, 04:58 AM
The things I hate about the Metrodome. I dont live closer to it. And havent been to a game there.

smootpepper
05-19-2005, 05:01 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

We need an attractive stadium, preferably outdoor.

Outdoor would be the best, but I dont think it will happen.

canadian_vikes_fan
05-19-2005, 05:12 AM
With an outdoor stadium, the team would lose TONS of revenue because it wouldn't be used for anything else in the winter. Since we aren't a rich team, we need this kind of revenue.

Skyliner
05-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Yes an outdoors stadium! Half the teams will forfeit ratter then play in December when its minis -10 and snowing.

ChiTownVike
05-19-2005, 05:36 AM
The best thing about the Metrodome is the noise. The games where the stadium is literally rocking from the noise. It is the best stadium in the country and I have been to like the New Solider Field and Heinz Field and they just dont have the atmosphere that the Metrodome has.

cc21
05-19-2005, 05:59 AM
i have no problem with the dome at all. I love it.

VIKE$4LIFE
05-19-2005, 05:59 AM
I love the metrodome! Ive only been there twice but when I went both times I was stunned and amazed at its size and just the fact that I was at a vikings game. The NOISE was definetley my favourite part the second time I went. It was the first VIkings Lions game of the 2004 season and the second half until the end of the game everyone eas screaming as loud as they could and Harrington wasted like 2 timeouts because of it. It was definetley one of the best experiences of my LIFE!

ultravikingfan
05-19-2005, 06:06 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

With an outdoor stadium, the team would lose TONS of revenue because it wouldn't be used for anything else in the winter. Since we aren't a rich team, we need this kind of revenue.

It depends on who pays for it. If it is taxpayer money then the ownership of the stadium would go to the local government; not the owner. Which in turn would not have any bearing on the team whatsoever.

gpless05
05-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Welll, actually i think we should get rid of the metrodome, just think, if we were to get a outdoor stadium, we would be better playin outside!

ItalianStallion
05-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Here is the worst thing about the Metrodome:

I've never been there.

audioghost
05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

The Vikings don't make money when the Metrodome is used for other events in the winter...the Metrodome makes money for that.

damviking
05-19-2005, 06:32 AM
outside would be great. Ask bud Grant about playing outdoors! Real Football. Running game and D. great style for outside games!

fred3105
05-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Never been there but how about the swastika's on the roof?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/state/minnesota/11680073.htm

hawaiianvike21
05-19-2005, 07:03 AM
For one its too far away. :lol:

Actually from what ive seen, the dome could use more seats, i mean it only has like 64,000 seats and detroits dome could hold 72,000 for a junk team like them.

The lettering on the turf could be changed back to the ones we used just a few years ago. Dont like the lettering in the endzone and miss the viking logo at mid field instead of that V.

Lastly we could use a retractable roof.

PurplePackerEater
05-19-2005, 07:16 AM
We NEED to have a retractable roof stadium!

All Vikings games should be played outside, of course. But we need the Super Bowl here as well, so we need the roof as well.

Everything else is in the details.

audioghost
05-19-2005, 07:49 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

We NEED to have a retractable roof stadium!

All Vikings games should be played outside, of course. But we need the Super Bowl here as well, so we need the roof as well.

Everything else is in the details.

Your absolutely right! If the Vikes don't make this stadium totally and utterly tecnologically up-to-date, everybody will want a new one in fifteen years! However, my favorite part of the Metrodome was being boxed in a dome because it got so loud when the Vikings played that it sent chills down your spine and got your adrenaline pumping! I would love for them to update the Metrodome, but I know that more than that has to be done...its gonna be sad to see it go!

audioghost
05-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Being THERE at a Vikings game in the dome is truly an awesome experience for any die hard fan.....I recommend you all to do it if you have the chance, its definetely worth the money.

On that note: The thing I personally hate the MOST about the Metrodome is the parking situation and the location. Sure its pretty to put it downtown, next to all the huge skyscrapers and blah blah blah, but honestly, getting away alive from a Vikings game is an accomplishment in itself. I have sat in a parking lot for 20 minutes alone just waiting for someone to be courteous enough to let me out. Then the highways are all jammed and it is just a MESS! THATS the worst thing about the dome....anyone agree??

audioghost
05-19-2005, 07:58 AM
HAS ANYONE ON THIS SITE ACTUALLY BEEN TO A GAME IN REAL LIFE EXCEPT ME??????

NeoVikesTX
05-19-2005, 08:47 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

I have. Last year against the Seahawks. My first Vikings game and first trip to Minnesota.

The Metrodome is nicer than I was expecting. It is kept up well and is very loud. Especially compared to Texas Stadium here ... what a piece of crap.

The cons are it is fairly small and the walkways are really narrow. I not sure about the parking and all that because we just stayed at the Holiday Inn and walked to the Dome.

I really liked the Dome overall, just wish there was a way to renovate it to have more seats, box seats, better parking, etc.

DeathtoDenny
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
So I work at the dome and, wow, its a joke. The Vikings locker room, especially the showers and bathrooms, is filthy and stained. The paint and wallpaper around the corridors are old, ripped and discolored. The suites are (except for the Cambria, Red's and one other) outdated and cheap. The field is probably the cheapest "new turf" money can buy. Worst place to watch baseball. The restrooms are few and far between, and anyone who's had a few at a game knows how long it takes to relieve ones self in the fancy trofts.
I went to a Seahawks game in Seattle at their new field, and that was an awesome experience. You could walk before and after the game, easily use one of 80 auto flush stalls, drink real beer and enjoy football in the warm late summer air. Oh, and the ticket was $23!
They're still paying for the Kingdome, yet were able to build Safeco and Seahawks stadium. Why can't the Twin Cities or the state do something about the pathetic metrodome?

AngloVike
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I always love it when the subject of the Dome and how bad it is comes up in threads - as the saying goes some people just don't know when they are well off.
First of all I do understand the current issues and how the Vikes don't get enough from the concessions, parking and executive suites. I can also see how a lot of people want a new stadium to be open-air, or at least have a retractable roof so that we can homefield advantage via the weather - as the Packers do now.

However I cannot get my head round things when people complain how bad the actual building itself is. Compared to the majority of football ( soccer as you know it ) stadiums that are here then it is an absolute palace. Grounds here have improved a lot but the majority are still in the dark ages compared to what is in the TC. I could describe facilities such as catering and washroom but I'm mindful that this is a family board and that some folk may be eating whilst reading :pukeright:

When it comes to the new stadium then if it means the team staying in Minn. and having the finances to get the best players on pitch and facilities for the fans then I have no problem at all. However from my visits to the Dome and personal experiences then I can't say that I hate the Dome at all

Prophet
05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I loved going to games at the old met and have enjoyed going to games at the dome.

Many have brought up good points regarding revenue earned during the winter months for non-Vikes stuff. A retractable roof could solve that issue.

The biggest gripe I have about the dome is the parking and lack of tailgaiting potential compared to many of the better stadiums across the nation.

The dome totally sucks for baseball. It sure would be nice to have a new baseball stadium and a retractable roof football stadium. Makes attending the events a much more enjoyable experience.

zimtwister
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
because some legislatores want to save the world from stupidity

magicci
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

For one its too far away. :lol:

Actually from what ive seen, the dome could use more seats, i mean it only has like 64,000 seats and detroits dome could hold 72,000 for a junk team like them.

The lettering on the turf could be changed back to the ones we used just a few years ago. Dont like the lettering in the endzone and miss the viking logo at mid field instead of that V.

Lastly we could use a retractable roof.

Actually halfway through the season they replaced the V with the viking head but the letters they have now are old skool but i kinda miss the old letters too....what would u think if they have the old skool in one endzone and the bold style in the other endzone???

sunny
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

I have been to about a dozen games over the years and the thing I hate the most are those damn skinny seats. Not that I'm a fat@ss(6ft 230lbs )ok maybe I am, but those are the most uncomforable seats in the world.
If you want comfy go to the Ralph Englestad Arena in Grand Forks, ND. Wide, leather and padded, feels like your at home in your recliner.

Until they get a new stadium, I'll sit at home and watch the games :cry:

6-KINGS
05-19-2005, 06:25 PM
That it is 1,029.6 miles away.
Makes it difficult to drive home after the game.

Had The Vikes moved to San Antonio like rumoured it would have been only 266.8 miles away.
That would just be a 12 pack of beer and about 8 rounds out of my .38 special.
Cuz 6-KINGS likes to bust a cap on road trips!

That 762.8 miles makes a difference.

Euphman06
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I hate the fact that I've never been there to see a vikes game..

Wyndy11
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

I have and from the looks of it quite of few other have as well. The dome has it good and bad points. Hey I drove 3 1/2 hours to get there on Christmas Eve with my kid because that what she asked for as a Christmas gift. All I can say was we had a blast no matter how much of a pain in the backside it was.

magicci
05-19-2005, 07:16 PM
lol we drove all the way from cali to the dome it was an awesome experience heck once i have the money i cant wait to do it again it was so cool

6-KINGS
05-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh I have been to many games at the Dome and at old Met Stadium.
Heck I've seen the Tark play, with Rashad, Foreman, Sammy and the Purple People Eaters at home.
Even watched the Mighty Joe Kapp play at the Met.
I've seen Kramer, Wilson, Moon and Cunningham play at home and on the road.
I've only seen Culpepper on the road though.

Wish I could go to every home game, every year.

Paulbedy59
05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Perhaps their owner dropped a few coin of his own! Unlike the cheap bastard we have right now.

Ltrey33
05-19-2005, 08:20 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Perhaps their owner dropped a few coin of his own! Unlike the cheap bastard we have right now.

I concur!

VKG4LFE
05-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't mind the metrodome. Granted I don't sit in the suites, but I wouldn't want to. The trofts (sp?) are bad, but c'mon who really cares! I don't go in the vikings locker room or any of that stuff, but if I can suffer through a troft (sp?) they can suffer right along with me! I would like a new stadium though!

DeathtoDenny
05-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh, by the way, Red owns all the suites so he makes money off the Twins games as well. I was talking about the locker room because thats where our players have to prepare.

smoot2boot
05-19-2005, 09:50 PM
What they need is some crooked legislator to propose a "renovtion" of the stadium. Here in Albuquerque when we got the Isotopes tax payers didnt want to fund a new stadium so our mayor and some legislators agreed to renovate the old Dukes stadium. When the money passed for renovation they completely tore it down except for a few posts and built a brand new park. Thats what the Vikes need.

KennyJman
05-19-2005, 09:51 PM
The ONLY thing I hate is $6.00 beers! That is just plain old thievery. I know all the other stadiums do it, but that don't make it right.

They should have a keg in every section!! For FREE!

cajunvike
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Heck I've seen the Tark play, with Rashad, Foreman, Sammy and the Purple People Eaters at home.

Dang, you must be OLD!!! :lol:

ultravikingfan
05-19-2005, 10:31 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

He used to go to events here too! :lol:

http://www.skeet.com/italyTrip/images/rome-colleseum.jpg

VKG4LFE
05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
"DeathtoDenny" wrote:

Oh, by the way, Red owns all the suites so he makes money off the Twins games as well. I was talking about the locker room because thats where our players have to prepare.

Yeah, I know why you were talking about the locker rooms. I didn't realize that Red owns all the suites in the dome!

Ltrey33
05-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Trough urinals! The dome was the first time I'd ever seen them that way.

VKG4LFE
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I've seen them at a couple of bars, but no other stadiums that I've ever been to!

Webby
05-22-2005, 09:24 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

yeah, you're the only one. *heavy sarcasm*

FuadFan
05-22-2005, 11:32 PM
I was at the Christmas Eve game as well. The Metrodome is a nice little place and I'd be sad to see it go, but whatever it takes for the Minnesota Vikings to remain the Minnesota Vikings.

V4L
05-23-2005, 12:20 AM
I dont like when the Twins play there and they lose the ball on a pop-up because the ceiling is white.. But its cool when the opponents lose it

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 01:01 AM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I dont like when the Twins play there and they lose the ball on a pop-up because the ceiling is white.. But its cool when the opponents lose it

I remember the '87 and '91 World Sseries where that was a huge advantage because those teams had never played there.

Ltrey33
05-23-2005, 01:08 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"audioghost" wrote:

:thumbright:

Ltrey33
05-23-2005, 01:09 AM
For all of its shortcomings, the Dome is a pretty special place to go watch a football game, at least for me anyway.

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
If the Vikings played in a smelly barn, I would still go there and enjoy it!

Oh wait, the Pack already plays in an oversized "port-a-potty"! What a craphole! :lol:

NordicNed
05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
I hate the fact that the Dome is about a 13 hour drive from my house......

vikingdude82
05-23-2005, 02:35 AM
the twins

billvike
05-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Theres really nothing i hate about the Dome the seats could be a lil more comfortable, last yr i was there for the titans game and some kids fucking pushed this other kid into me and i spilt my pop on me and i almost was pushed over the edge, the kid said he was sry and i told him to get the f*ck out of my face he stood at the end of the tunnel and stared at me for like 30 mins god i will never forget that. :mad:

6-KINGS
05-23-2005, 04:33 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"6-KINGS" wrote:

Dang, you must be OLD!!! :lol:

AAAAAA????
What did ya say sonny?

6-KINGS
05-23-2005, 04:39 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"6-KINGS" wrote:

http://www.skeet.com/italyTrip/images/rome-colleseum.jpg

Oh yes the Colly!
Remember it well.
The Lions vs The Christians, war reactments and lamb bladders stuffed with flamingo brains.
The the post game orgies......good times, good times.... :wink:
I still the body of GREEK GOD TOO!!

6-KINGS

ultravikingfan
05-23-2005, 05:06 AM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"6-KINGS" wrote:
[quote]Oh I have been to many games at the Dome and at old Met Stadium.

Oh yes the Colly!
Remember it well.
The Lions vs The Christians, war reactments and lamb bladders stuffed with flamingo brains.

6-KINGS

Hey 6, you are pretty funny dude! :cool:

6-KINGS
05-24-2005, 12:00 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"6-KINGS" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"6-KINGS" wrote:
[quote]Oh I have been to many games at the Dome and at old Met Stadium.

Oh yes the Colly!
Remember it well.

6-KINGS

Hey 6, you are pretty funny dude! :cool:

Thanks Ultra you crack me up too.
There are some funny(haha funny) people on this site
:wink:

Paulbedy59
05-24-2005, 12:06 AM
What I hate about the Dome is it,s in Minn,and I,m stuck here in Michigan.I only get to see the Vikes once a year when they come here to play the lions..Hey 6,didn,t the lions use to win most of the time back at the Colly?

6-KINGS
05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Why yes they did young man.
Until one day the fella named Samson was put in the ring.
He killed every lion, and I lost a fortune.
But someone figured out too just cut his hair.

I tell ya Zena and I had to get outta town quick.
She was my main squeeze at the time.
Sometimes Gabby would join us.
We got caught though, because all roads lead to Rome.

nyuck!!! nyuck!!!nyuck!!!
Oh wise guy huh!!!!!

:lol:

6-kings

audioghost
05-24-2005, 08:15 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"audioghost" wrote:

Well everyone else was like "the worst thing is that I've never been there", I was more looking for comments about "being there", it was to provoke a response...I wasn't alone at the games I went to, there was 40 some thousand there as well, and I'm not an idiot...

ultravikingfan
05-24-2005, 10:30 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

"webmaster" wrote:

"audioghost" wrote:

Well everyone else was like "the worst thing is that I've never been there", I was more looking for comments about "being there", it was to provoke a response...I wasn't alone at the games I went to, there was 40 some thousand there as well, and I'm not an idiot...

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/ax1s/omfg_you_newb.gif

DarrinNelsonguy
05-24-2005, 10:34 PM
The roof and small concourses, but I love the onfield action and the noise from all the Viking fans.

ultravikingfan
05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

The roof and small concourses, but I love the onfield action and the noise from all the Viking fans.

And the crying of the Packer fans! :lol:

DarrinNelsonguy
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
True that ultra!