PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want starting at RB?

AlabamaViking
05-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I want to start this thread to ask the question about our "stable" and let us all play "Coach" for a second.
We are all aware of the backfield we have. What I want to know is what would you do with all of them to make us the most successful in the running/passing game? How would you best utilize the running backs we currently have?
One more thing...try to be specific. In other words, don't answer this thread if all you want to do is "cast your vote". I'm not asking for American Idol. I want real football thought on this one.
I'll be watching.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey Alabama, good question. I think our best running back is OS. He has proven he can handle the everyday job more so than MB. MM, I don't think can be an every down back right now because he gets too tired. MW is always there when you need him. He can start and get you 80 yards a game running and another 50-60 receiving. MB is good for a good run here and there and average 2 ypc the rest of the game. C4 is new but I think has a lot of potential. The problem is with OS off the field addictions. Personally I don't think doing anything on your off-time should get you in trouble with the league unless it is performance enhancing. Marijuana is definately not something that is going to get OS 200 ypg. However it is league policy and people should obey that especially considering the amount of money they make. If I were to make a pick just on talent OS leads the group as far as I'm concerned. The good news is we have a solid backfield if everyone stays healthy and out of trouble. I think Larry Ned would have been good too but we cut him last year. IMO we should try to trade MB for depth somewhere else and bring LN back. Not knocking MB but I just don't think he has learned the game yet. Remember he only played 1 year in college. he's been here 4 or 5 years now and he hasn't really proven anything to me except for a few good bursts of speed occasionally. Sorry for long message but I really like the question.

RandyMoss8404
05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
MeMo. End of story.

Pigskin Bigs
05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
MB ran harder last year (when he played) than I have ever seen him run before. He was pushing hard between the tackles and showed that he has some leg drive. OS is a decent back with good leg drive and ability to swivel the hips. MB has more speed and is also a decent receiver. I'll take him on screen plays over OS. If MB keeps grinding between the tackles AND stays healthy, he is my pick. Speed kills. OS does stay healthy but has off the field problems. If MB stays healthy and starts every game, he will have a great year, much better the OS would have.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Pigskin, solid feedback. I think you are right that MB showed some leg drive last year but it was only for one game. If he can learn to get by the studder-stepping he does behind the line of scrimmage he may very well be a good back. Until then, he is no better than average. He does receive well out of the backfield. I will give him that over OS. I can't see him at this point, being a better runner than OS. MB has good speed without pads. With pads I've seen him get run down by LBs and CBs. Pads can make a difference sometimes. I still go with OS but you have great points.

Lotza
05-16-2005, 04:48 PM
I still like Mewede, he needs more time to develop into our feature back however the future belongs to fason me thinks

V4L
05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
"Pigskin Bigs" wrote:

MB ran harder last year (when he played) than I have ever seen him run before. He was pushing hard between the tackles and showed that he has some leg drive. OS is a decent back with good leg drive and ability to swivel the hips. MB has more speed and is also a decent receiver. I'll take him on screen plays over OS. If MB keeps grinding between the tackles AND stays healthy, he is my pick. Speed kills. OS does stay healthy but has off the field problems. If MB stays healthy and starts every game, he will have a great year, much better the OS would have.

I noticed that as well.. me and my bro were talking about him breaking tackles.. i think he will be a good back next year with his speed and improved leg drive and he WILL start no doubt about that.. and im pretty sure he wont get hurt again

BBQ Platypus
05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
I like Moore. I've said this several times before, so I'll give you the short version. Although he's not as fast as Bennett or Smith, he's got enough speed to get through the hole, and he's got the elusiveness to get extra yards that the other RB's can't get. If his relative inexperience proves to be a problem, we always have the other two to fall back on (barring multiple injuries).

ItalianStallion
05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't think we can base it on their performance last year. If I was the coach I would have to see who plays best in training camp and preseason.

V4L
05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
my guess after training camp it will be MB-MM-Moe-OS-Fason
In that order right there

Hooversham
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
It may slow MB down a bit when he has pads on, but OS has to deal with pads AND a prosthetic wiener under his uniform. That would slow anybody down.

Coach Tice will inevitably start MB but will eventually revert to a "running back by committee" setup throughout the year. It's his style.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I want Bennett to start unless he perfroms badly in camp and loses the job. I like Bennett because he gives us a home run threat on any play the he touches the ball. However, if Bennett is not the man I want to see a combination Moore and Fason because I think they are our best options at this time.

mark
05-16-2005, 06:05 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Pigskin, solid feedback. I think you are right that MB showed some leg drive last year but it was only for one game. If he can learn to get by the studder-stepping he does behind the line of scrimmage he may very well be a good back. Until then, he is no better than average. He does receive well out of the backfield. I will give him that over OS. I can't see him at this point, being a better runner than OS. MB has good speed without pads. With pads I've seen him get run down by LBs and CBs. Pads can make a difference sometimes. I still go with OS but you have great points.

The only time he got ran down was against green bay when he had that 60yrd run and a corner caught him because he wasnt able to get to full speed because he was avoidind people.He has never been ran down.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Remember that speed means nothing unless you get past the line of scrimmage. Leg drive is important. MM showed awesome talent last year but unless his physical conditioning is improved he's not ready to be a featured back. He grows weary in the 4th qtr. OS has showed skills as a runner and receiver. I am in no way condoning his marijuana use but remember when the NFL tests people they have their pants down to their knees and shirts are lifted so there is no way you can hide a fake wizzer and get away with it. He is stupid for even having it still. C4 is to new to decide yet although I really like that pick. MW is awesome no matter how much spped he has. He is solid for 120 + yards every game in total yards if he starts. Look at Viking records when MW starts compared to MB. Vikes win a lot more because he is an all around back that knows the game. MB doesn't understand when to hit holes yet. To me, if he is still around OS is our best back to start.

michaelmazid
05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
They need to let M. Moore start since M.Bennet hasn't been doing jack and always gets hurt. We had a fresh start during the offseason and we need a fresh start at RB. I know tice had a problem with M.Moore's pass blocking and I hope that they work on that during this off season.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Mark, he has been ran down before. Consider this: if you have a 60 yard run there shouldn't be any kind of avoidance factor unless you create it yourself. Runs of more than 3 yards are few and far in between for Bennett.

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
05-16-2005, 06:48 PM
I like Bennett, he has that amazing break away speed and he may have been ran down but it is going to happen very rarely. I just think if he was more dependable and not injured he would be able to show he has what it takes.

Swamination
05-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm not a big fan on MB because he isn't consistant (not only running, but with his injuries too). I think the Vikes would be good with OS and MM as a 1,2 punch. I have no clue what Fason brings to the table, so we'll have to wait and see.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Amen to Swamination. You got your role on dude. People are high on Bennett because of his speed so we probably could get a good deal by trading him. He is a FA next year so why not? I want to re-iterate I like MB but he is just too inconsistent to be a star back (atleast from the past). Maybe he has turned over a new leaf this year. Who knows? I know this isn't fantasy league but doesn't anyone think the same as me here? Besides three good runs and one good game against the Pack, what has MB really done? I will say he is a team player which is a good quality. He does have decent speed but you have to get by the front line before the speed is utilized.

purplehorn
05-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Bennett has the job to lose. And for all the trade
Bennett people, the same trade Robert Smith people.
Anyone remember Robert?? I think Bennett has the
same type of potential. We are not trading him
this year so lets see what he can do. My prediction
is 1500 for Michael.

olson_10
05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
FASON..our recent trend is to just throw guys in and have them succeed (smith and moore) so why not give fason the chance.
id say bennett but the thing with him is hes a guy who gets 1 yard, -3 yards, 2 yards, -1 yard, and then breaks one for 10 yards..and thats how his whole game goes..he doesnt have the skill to grind it out every play..he gets absolutely nothing, and then breaks one for about 10..but that is too rare for my liking

ejmat
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
First of all I was never one that ever said trade Robert Smith. I will always remember Robert Smith. He was awesome. I'll believe 1500 for MB when I see it. Until then, he has not impressed me. I really would like for him to impress me because I really try and give him the benefit of the doubt because I do like him as a team player. The fact is, he was outplayed over the last couple of years by both OS and MM. I personally was more impressed with those two than MB. MB had the one year that he had 1296 yards with 255 attempts. 3 of those attempts resulted in about 220 yards. Take those away and you have 252 attempts and 1076 yards. Not too shabby but he also had 4 fumbles that year. He averages for the most part about 4.2 ypc. OS is pretty consisten on averaging 4.9 ypc over the 2 seasons. He really hasn't had a break away run yet but I'd rather have consistency because the threat is still there of breaking one.

ejmat
05-16-2005, 08:03 PM
my point exactly olson.

mark
05-16-2005, 08:23 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

Bennett has the job to lose. And for all the trade
Bennett people, the same trade Robert Smith people.
Anyone remember Robert?? I think Bennett has the
same type of potential. We are not trading him
this year so lets see what he can do. My prediction
is 1500 for Michael.

Exactly. He got 1300 splitting carries for 5 weeks.Hes our best running back.Hes going to start. Enough said

ejmat
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
that same year (2002) besides those 3 runs he still only averaged 4.2 ypc. i honestly don't remember him splitting carries for 5 weeks but whether or not that's true he still only averaged 4.2 ypc without the 3 runs of 60+ yards. He is too inconsistent whether you like him or not. I like the guy and I'm saying it. It's the realistic point of view. I would like to say he's the best running back to ever grace the field but the fact is he's inconsistent.

oldschoolmikey
05-16-2005, 09:31 PM
How about none of the above. I don't think they have a reliable back on the roster right now. I thought Smith was going to be their answer, but well you know...

zeppelin4534
05-17-2005, 01:08 AM
MB will be the starter. he wants to be the starter and he has a huge chip on his shoulder. He will get the job, but i think it will be lost to mm or os during the season. OS would be great if he could keep himself together. MM i believe will work hard on his weakpoints and start becoming our back for years to come. You just cant tell with the vikings who is gonna be our main RB. half the team are rb's.

collegeguyjeff
05-17-2005, 03:46 AM
moore

ultravikingfan
05-17-2005, 03:48 AM
I am torn. I like them all and they all have exceptional abilities.

The guy I would like to see is Moore. But, I will be happy with whoever runs the ball.

audioghost
05-17-2005, 04:51 AM
The Vikes need to give Moore a chance, I dont care if they think he's "not durable"....thats a buncha crap, the guys slippery like a fish and he breaks tackles and runs super hard. He looks to have more guts and heart than the other guys when hes on the field.....I think they should give him a shot.....he tore it up those few games last season!

ultravikingfan
05-17-2005, 05:34 AM
"audioghost" wrote:

The Vikes need to give Moore a chance, I dont care if they think he's "not durable"....thats a buncha crap, the guys slippery like a fish and he breaks tackles and runs super hard. He looks to have more guts and heart than the other guys when hes on the field.....I think they should give him a shot.....he tore it up those few games last season!

Good post.

He did show a lot of enthusiasm; especially in the last game against Philly in the playoffs. I like the small, shifty, elusive guys. Kinda like a Barry Sanders type.

fourdoorchevelle
05-17-2005, 05:49 AM
m bennett has had his chance , i'm still not impressed. only one out of 4 years getting it done . last year when he got back he looked skiddish , almost scared . he's too fragile and i think he knows that , hence the hesitation . to indecisive about hitting the holes.

on the other side onterrio looks like he's more nfl ready . exploding through holes , getting into the secondary with relative ease. the only thing holding smith back is himself.

mm also looked very good last year , hopefully the new year and extra experience help with his pass blocking . if he continues to improve he could be a star running back , if he proves healthy .

fason , wait and see ....

M BENNETT RUSHING STATS

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2001 Minnesota Vikings 13 13 172 682 4.0 31 2 3 23

2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 255 1296 5.1 85 5 9 47

2003 Minnesota Vikings 8 7 90 447 5.0 28 1 3 17

2004 Minnesota Vikings 11 7 70 276 3.9 25 1 1 14

TOTAL 48 43 587 2701 4.6 85 9 16 101

but to answer the question i say smith unless mm made enough advancements to clearly take the job

SKOL
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind that Bennett is in a contract year. I'm expecting a big year from him, otherwise he's all but done.

ultravikingfan
05-17-2005, 02:28 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

Keep in mind that Bennett is in a contract year. I'm expecting a big year from him, otherwise he's all but done.

Good point. Most athletes usually try and pour it on in their contract year.

ejmat
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
As most people agree with me MB has had his shot and he just didn't cut it. MM did a great job last year filling in but he did get tired in the 4th qtrs. If he works on his durability and conditioning, he could be awesome. OS is ready to be a starter but unfortunately he screws himself (not with the wizzinator I hope). MB showed more determination toward the end of the season last year but for the most part he averages 4.2 ypc. But that is a very inconsistent 4.2 (2, -3, 2, 10). OS is the best man for the job right now if he is there but I do think Tice is pushing for MB. Personally, I'd rather have MW start over MB. This is not to say MM won't be ready or even C4 later this year. The bottom line is we need a definate starter no matter who it is. If that person screws up there are 4 other guys waiting for the chance.

Burley81
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
"audioghost" wrote:

I am with you 110%. MM is our best running back on the team. If we work on his blocking skills this offseason, he is ready to tear it up. He is very consistent (5.8 ypc), fights for every yard, etc.

VikesFan4Life
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Whoever earns the right in training camp based on overall performance and improvement.

That being said, I truly hope Mewelde Moore earns the starting job. That guy is truly something special.

If he can improve his conditioning a bit and if the coaches can teach him to pass block effectively, watch out! :cool:

ejmat
05-17-2005, 11:33 PM
The good news is we have this dilemma. teams would kill to have this many good backs. I have faith in each and every one of them. Unfortunately not the same one Tice has in mind and his vote is the one that counts. Anyway, whether it's MW, OS, MM, or C4, I will be happy. If Bennett starts I hope he shows determination like he did toward the end of last season and learns to hit the holes when he should. If not trade for him.

mark
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

The good news is we have this dilemma. teams would kill to have this many good backs. I have faith in each and every one of them. Unfortunately not the same one Tice has in mind and his vote is the one that counts. Anyway, whether it's MW, OS, MM, or C4, I will be happy. If Bennett starts I hope he shows determination like he did toward the end of last season and learns to hit the holes when he should. If not trade for him.

Do you lose sleep over the thought of bennett starting?

Mr. Purple
05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Whoever earns it at camp. black and white. May the best man win!

FSUViking
05-18-2005, 02:32 AM
In today's Strib, Tice said that the starting job is Bennett's to lose, and that Still On Drugs (some call him SOD) and MeMo have been splitting time at #2.

ejmat
05-18-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't lose sleep over it. I just don't think he's the right man for the job. Like I said my vote isn't the one that counts. There's just no over looking the stats. MB doesn't match up against OS, MM, or MW. Facts are facts.

jessejames09
05-18-2005, 04:38 AM
ejmat, you know what facts arn't? pickles.

jessejames09
05-18-2005, 04:44 AM
its a proven fact that facts are indeed not pickles!
Discovery Channel? i think not.

ejmat
05-18-2005, 04:57 AM
I know pickles aren't facts. I'm just not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing

V-Unit
05-18-2005, 09:31 PM
There is no reason to think that the job doesn't belong to Bennett. Tice himself said it and the only thing that has ever held Bennett back has been injury. You can't just assume he is going to get injured again and bench him. No, you let the best RB which we have (which is Bennett) start, and if he unfortunately gets injured again then you move to our other options.

The best part is that our other options are extremely good ones.

So I guess I want MB to start.

ejmat
05-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Tice has said he wants Bennett to start so it is his job. His injuries aren't the only thing holding him back. It's his indecisiveness when it comes to hitting the holes. If he learns to do that he could be a great back. For right now he is not. He is a good back but we have others better.

mark
05-19-2005, 12:32 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

Tice has said he wants Bennett to start so it is his job. His injuries aren't the only thing holding him back. It's his indecisiveness when it comes to hitting the holes. If he learns to do that he could be a great back. For right now he is not. He is a good back but we have others better.

So does Tice want Bennett to start because hes a nice guy or do you know the RBS better than he does and hes making a mistake?

cc21
05-19-2005, 12:36 AM
i would like to see bennett start. that guys has some wheels.

ejmat
05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Mark, I stated earlier this is my opinion. From what I see, MB is not the man for the job. MW, OS, and MM did a better job than he did over the last couple of years. In fact, when MW starts over the last 2 years, the Vikes are 8-1. He may not be a threat to take it to the house but at least he gets by the front line most of the time. MB is inconsistent. Do you not see that? You have 10 people here saying this and like 2 saying MB is great. What has MB done besides 3 good runs? If he only gets by the front line 1 out of every 5 runs that doesn't give him much opportunity to take it anywhere. I would love to sit here and say Bennett is awesome and there's no body better but that's just not the case. I know Tice makes the decisions. he also made the decision to let Moss throw a pass in the endzone last year with 2 minutes left. Knowing how our D was last year even if we scored it was stupid. That gave the Seahawks too much time to come back. Look what happened against the Lions. Go long and score fast and give the other team the opportunity to score. So we can sit here and argue who's better, I go by what I see. Obviously I can't go by what Tice sees. Remember, he's also been shopping Bennett for a trade for 2 years. The problem is he gets paid more than MW, OS, and MM combined. Who would you play? Doesn't mean it's right.

mark
05-19-2005, 01:41 AM
I respect your opinion. Whoever wins the job is going to have a huge year and ill pull for them 100%.Ireally dont think you have ever seen him run before.

ejmat
05-19-2005, 02:17 AM
I will pull for whoever 100% as well whether it is MB or any of the other RBs. I have seen MB run plenty of times. I watch every Vikings game without fail. Everyone of RBs run fast except for MW. OS and MM are just as fast as MB. Speed isn't everything. If it was do you think MW would be in the pros? No it's because of how he plays the game. I can tell you this, one of those 3 runs he had over 60 yards in 2002 he was caught from behind before he made it to the endzone. The inconsistency of him hitting the holes is what I go by when I judge who I think is the better RB. Remember being a better RB isn't the person that runs the fastest. It's the person that hits/finds the holes and gets into the opponents backfield. Now he did play great against the Packers last year in that one game. He showed determination, guts, and played very well. If he did that more consistently I would agree he would be the better back. Until I see it more often I just don't agree.

Burley81
05-19-2005, 02:47 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

i would like to see bennett start. that guys has some wheels.

Just because he has speed doesn't mean he should start, he doesn't hit the holes, too inconsistent, I could go on and on. All MM needs to work on is his blocking. Call me crazy, but Moore reminds me alot of Brian Westbrook. Bennett averaged 3.9 ypc, and MM averaged 5.8 ypc.

We can actually do alot with our RB's. We can have C4 and MM split time in the backfield (give MM more carries, so C4 can develop. Or if he shows potential the first game, give them equal ammounts). Use Moe for short yardage situations, Cut Smith's sorry a$$, and put Bennett on the tradeing block (I know we wont get much for him, but a 3rd rounder wont hurt).

I know Tice wont have the nuts to cut Smith :roll: , but he seriousley (sp?) should.

mark
05-19-2005, 02:55 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

I will pull for whoever 100% as well whether it is MB or any of the other RBs. I have seen MB run plenty of times. I watch every Vikings game without fail. Everyone of RBs run fast except for MW. OS and MM are just as fast as MB. Speed isn't everything. If it was do you think MW would be in the pros? No it's because of how he plays the game. I can tell you this, one of those 3 runs he had over 60 yards in 2002 he was caught from behind before he made it to the endzone. The inconsistency of him hitting the holes is what I go by when I judge who I think is the better RB. Remember being a better RB isn't the person that runs the fastest. It's the person that hits/finds the holes and gets into the opponents backfield. Now he did play great against the Packers last year in that one game. He showed determination, guts, and played very well. If he did that more consistently I would agree he would be the better back. Until I see it more often I just don't agree.

He wasnt caught from behind he was caught from the side because the guy had an angle and that run put the game away.

ejmat
05-19-2005, 03:01 AM
He was caught from behind. Angle or no angle at 60 yards off the line of scrimmage is being caught from behind. If it's a 10 or 15 yarder that's different. If someone is "so fast" at 60 yards they shouldn't be caught. You are caught because someone else is faster than you. There was no one impeding his way therefore he was caught from behind.

Skyliner
05-19-2005, 03:46 AM
i dont think it matters who starts. our line will make any of the back in to a star. bennett is not a power runner but darn good at running to the outside and screens especially with Rosenthal and Kleinsasser back. smith is probably the best power runner but we all know why we dont want him as the feature back. MM seems like a very nice back, seems very versitile, good pass cathing out of the back field, but why put miles on him when you've got bennet and smith, let him develop some more. i think even william could easily be 1000 yd back.

damviking
05-19-2005, 04:14 AM
I think the job should be wide open. Forget about how makes more money. I would like to have a back that doesnt get hurt ever other game. If the job should not be open then why are we drafting a back so high? My gut says bennet has had his chance and he cant stay on the feild of play. We should get what we can for bennet and let the rest fight for the job. Bennet wont get the job done when the rest of the nfl knows we are running!

canadian_vikes_fan
05-19-2005, 04:19 AM
My guess is that Bennett will have get the starting job, and it'll be his job to lose throughout the season. But they won't resign him after the season, unless he has a Pro Bowl calibre year. The Vikes can't be convinced that Bennett is the answer, or else they wouldn't keep drafting more and more running backs (they even traded up this year to get Fason.)

damviking
05-19-2005, 04:26 AM
im all for a strong D and a ball control offense! Bennet is not going to last in that offense!

AngloVike
05-19-2005, 03:00 PM
This is an interesting overview of the Vikes backfield and with a one-line sum up of Smith which is right on the money

Obviously, the problem with Onterrio is that he has million dollar talent and a ten-cent brain. The Vikings may never trust him enough to give him the starting role, but he has rushed for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns over the last two seasons despite playing second fiddle to Bennett. Assuming he isn't suspended, Smith would be the most likely rusher to step in and start if Bennett suffers another injury.

Full article is at :
http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.3906

ejmat
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
You hit it right anglo. As a pure Viking fan I want the team to do what's best. Whether it be agreeing or disagreeing with what I say. To me, MB just hasn't proven he's the man yet. The only reason he made the Pro-Bowl in 2002 is b/c of those 3 games where he had the 60+ yards on one run. During all 3 of those games his ypc were all under 4 other than those runs.