PDA

View Full Version : update on williamson

amth
05-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I was reading on yahoo, that he is not lookign good in mini camp. He is dropping alot of passes, probs running routes, and is too small muscle wise and will get out muscled by nfl CB's

oh man this sucks cause apparent Mike Williams is looking awesome

i have a feeling we have another Hakim on our hands, fast no hands and cant run a route

this will blow as my buddy is a lions fan and i will never hear the end of it !!!!

fred3105
05-12-2005, 01:01 AM
link?

DemonicViking
05-12-2005, 01:04 AM
*sniff* the smell of bs, as I don't see anything about this on yahoo.

VikingsTw
05-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Dude there's so many damn opinions, people say he has great hands, and runs great routes then the next guy says he couldn't run a straight line is asked to. I'm just gonna wait till the season starts to make a judgement.

If i had it all to do over again i still would have drafted mike williams.

amth
05-12-2005, 01:07 AM
my lions fan buddy sent the link to me at work

its a report on the nfc mini camps when he comes on msn i will post it

also said Charlie Rodgers put on an extra 10 pounds of muscle in the off season

man i have a huge bet with him and his lions getting nervous now lol

amth
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Dude there's so many gol 'darnit opinions, people say he has great hands, and runs great routes then the next guy says he couldn't run a straight line is asked to. I'm just gonna wait till the season starts to make a judgement.

If i had it all to do over again i still would have drafted mike williams.

oh i agree

but i have a feeling this is going to be dyson, moss scene

with williamson being dyson and well williams being the big WR of the round

Euphman06
05-12-2005, 01:11 AM
The kid is nervous and trying to fill in moss's void which he shouldn't be doing. Give him time.. he's still young with tons of potential. When he gets comfortable and the overwhelming experience wears off he will calm down and use his hands.. and head hopefully

fred3105
05-12-2005, 01:12 AM
The big WR of the round is Edwards but he plays for the Browns and no one cares about them.

NodakVike
05-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Blah Blah Blah tell someone who cares about your buddies lions :!: Come back and tell us how good everyone is when the season gets started :thebirdman:

PurplePackerEater
05-12-2005, 01:15 AM
For all you skeptic Williamson faithful http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_378005_93&prov=citadel&type=story

I just read it too and was thinking the SAME thing. I too have a friend that's a Lions Fan and has rubbed in the same stuff. I think that we 1. made a mistake trading Moss and 2. made a mistake drafting Williamson over Williams.

NodakVike
05-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Guess we'll just have to see how it goes when the season gets started. I mean this is mini camp big deal,long time for Troy to put his game together for the reg season.

PurplePackerEater
05-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Sure, you can't teach speed. But, you can't teach size either. And speed won't do you much good if you can't get off the line OR catch the ball!

GQVikesfan
05-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Uh oh.. I think its time that we show Javon Walker the money lol j/k! I'll reserve judgement on Williamson until we're halfway through the season..

Euphman06
05-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I remember reading something from some writer out there that said Moss wasn't even in the top 25 wideouts in the draft that he was in.. terrible pass runner and would never be able to get past the cb if he was played physical.. words are words, wait to judge him when he's playing for real.

ultravikingfan
05-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Geez, we just drafted the guy and he is a rook! Cut him some slack!

PurplePackerEater
05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
"Euphman06" wrote:

I remember reading something from some writer out there that said Moss wasn't even in the top 25 wideouts in the draft that he was in.. terrible pass runner and would never be able to get past the cb if he was played physical.. words are words, wait to judge him when he's playing for real.I posted it.

GQVikesfan
05-12-2005, 01:39 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Geez, we just drafted the guy and he is a rook! Cut him some slack!

I have complete faith in Williamson.. and I do believe that he will prove these naysayers wrong. In Williamson we trust!

LuckyVike
05-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Ok, first first, this goes out to all the Williamson haters, cry me a F'ing river. Honestly, I don't give a damn about anything yahoo sports has to say. They can take their little article and shove it straight up their @$$ where it came from. Doushe bags. :thebirdman:

LATA~!

:grin:

michaelmazid
05-12-2005, 02:13 AM
I thought mini camp was over. Even if its not, the guy is FREAKING ROOKIE. At least let the season start first and than start putting him down.

PurplePackerEater
05-12-2005, 02:17 AM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

Ok, first first, this goes out to all the Williamson haters, cry me a F'ing river. Honestly, I don't give a damn about anything yahoo sports has to say. They can take their little article and shove it straight up their @$$ where it came from. Doushe bags. thebirdman

LATA~!

grinWOW! Great Post Vikes2611. I really appreciated the vulgar language. It added a real nice touch. I liked the way that you dedicated your post to an entire group of people, classy. The absolute best, by far, was the way you started out with, and I quote "Ok, first first..." - a stroke of poetic genius!!

DarrinNelsonguy
05-12-2005, 02:39 AM
It is still way to early to tell how good he will be and I am not talking about in a few months but in a season or two.

Ltrey33
05-12-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm not too worried about it. Not every reciever becomes a star right away, and he has about 4 months here to really work and get ready with some very good NFL Coaches. He'll be fine this season. He may go through some growing pains, but he'll be good.

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
05-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Guys. Remember a guy named Randy Moss. Comming into the NFL, He was fast, and couldn't run a route if his life depended on it. With his amazing speed, he just ran straight down the field his first 2 seasons, as he learned. I have faith in Troy-boy.

muchluv4smoot
05-12-2005, 03:02 AM
"amth" wrote:

I was reading on yahoo, that he is not lookign good in mini camp. He is dropping alot of passes, probs running routes, and is too small muscle wise and will get out muscled by nfl CB's

i have a feeling we have another Hakim on our hands, fast no hands and cant run a route

this will blow as my buddy is a lions fan and i will never hear the end of it !!!!

This is exactly what I said when we drafted him. We drafted an extremely raw WR, instead of a polished sure thing, in mike williams. People will say, well williamson didn't play in a pass oriented offense in college, but that can be a negative as well. Maybe he won't be able to be sucessful in an complicated pass offense? Maybe he was only god at running streaks in college and that won't get him any farther than kelly cambell has gotten for us, minus the arrest.

The kid is raw though, and we won't know what we have until 2 years down the road. We can't say he was a mistake because he struggled in his first mini camp. We knew when we drafted him, that he wasn't gonna be a starting caliber WR for us until maybe late in year 1, at the very earliest. I guess some people just thought since we took him at 7, that he was gonna be a star and a starter from day 1, but that aint gonna happen.

Mike williams was the best value pick at 7 and the WR that would have been the best contributor for our team in the next few years. Williamson is more for the future, so hopefully we can get travis taylor to take off this year and let williamson be that deep ball #3 WR for us and ease him in, so he doesn't get overloaded and quickly become a bust.

Whether you think he was the right pick or not, which I say he wasn't at 7, give him a couple seasons before judging, because he is gonna take that long to develope, hopefully into the stud we expect him too.

muchluv4smoot
05-12-2005, 03:12 AM
"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:

Guys. Remember a guy named Randy Moss. Comming into the NFL, He was fast, and couldn't run a route if his life depended on it. With his amazing speed, he just ran straight down the field his first 2 seasons, as he learned. I have faith in Troy-boy.

I am not saying troy will suck, but moss was a much better prospect at WR coming out and would have been a top 10 pick, had it not been for his personality concerns. Moss had great hands and was awesome at going up and getting the ball, 2 things that troy doesn't have and that you really can't teach. And moss produced huge #'s in college, whereas williamson didn't, mostly due to the offense and QB that he played in/with.

Troy is a different kind of receiver than moss. The only thing they have in common is speed. Williamson isn't gonna make great 1 handed catches and isn't gonna out jump guys for balls, even though he has a decent verticle. Williamson is gonna be much better at taking a shorter pass, the distance for a TD, whereas moss seemed to go down pretty easy after short catches and wasn't very elusive. Williamson is more of a torry holt or deon branch style of receiver IMO.

It is gonna take a few years though, before we know what we have. He is in probably the best system to suceed though. I only expect about 700 yards and 5-7 Td's this year from him and that would be a success, considering how raw he is.

collegeguyjeff
05-12-2005, 03:30 AM
thats a bunch of bull if i have heard any, you must be a packer fan. culpepper himself said williamson has great hands have you seen some of the catches that he has made?

LuckyVike
05-12-2005, 03:40 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

Ok, first first, this goes out to all the Williamson haters, cry me a F'ing river. Honestly, I don't give a gol 'darnit about anything yahoo sports has to say. They can take their little article and shove it straight up their @$$ where it came from. Doushe bags. thebirdman

LATA~!

grinWOW! Great Post Vikes2611. I really appreciated the vulgar language. It added a real nice touch. I liked the way that you dedicated your post to an entire group of people, classy. The absolute best, by far, was the way you started out with, and I quote "Ok, first first..." - a stroke of poetic genius!!

Sorry about the typo, I'm sure you haven't had a few in your time posting on here. I was feeling a bit of anger when I wrote that. Want me to dedicate this post to you? Ok, first first, let me say this, if a bit of language hurts your sensitive little ears, well in this case, your eyes, maybe you shouldn't go anywhere but church. In todays society, a little bit of swearing is all to common, pretty much expected. So what are you, a 15 year old choir girl? Nice attacks on me man, I like being singled out, it makes me feel warm inside. :thebirdman: :stfu:

(I couldn't help but display my immaturity by putting those last two icons in there. Do you need a tissue so you can cry about them too?)

I mean, if you don't like me expressing my opinion by countering the bashing people are doing to Williamson by bashing them to see how they like it, I guess you'll have to just get over it. :salute:

ultravikingfan
05-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Knocking somebody's grammar is petty.

If you had to do that to everybody (including me), PP.O would be a full-time job.

LuckyVike
05-12-2005, 03:49 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Knocking somebody's grammar is petty.

If you had to do that to everybody (including me), PP.O would be a full-time job.

Thank ya Ultra. :salute:

fred3105
05-12-2005, 03:52 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

thats a bunch of bull if i have heard any, you must be a packer fan. culpepper himself said williamson has great hands have you seen some of the catches that he has made?

I would not take what Culpepper says about his own team for the truth he is not going to bash his own team hes not like TO.

ItalianStallion
05-12-2005, 03:54 AM
I'll have to watch both of them play for a couple seasons before I pass judgement.

For some reason this selection reminds me alot of the Kevin Williams selection, who nobody wanted.

muchluv4smoot
05-12-2005, 03:58 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I'll have to watch both of them play for a couple seasons before I pass judgement.

For some reason this selection reminds me alot of the Kevin Williams selection, who nobody wanted.

Yeah, but the player most wanted, suggs, ended up being a hell of a player too. I think it is different though, cause mike williams seems like a sure thing and the safe pick, whereas williamson is a risky pick and a boom or bust pick. Thats the way it seems to me. Maybe it was the same with williams and suggs, but I thought williams was gonna be a good player in the NFL back then, but not this good so quickly.

Paulbedy59
05-12-2005, 03:58 AM
I have a really hard time taking any lions fan serious.I believe they have some kinda learning disorder.In fact when I go to the Vikings game at Ford field,I really raz them..

PurplePackerEater
05-12-2005, 04:18 AM
"Vikes2611" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

Ok, first first, this goes out to all the Williamson haters, cry me a F'ing river. Honestly, I don't give a gol 'darnit about anything yahoo sports has to say. They can take their little article and shove it straight up their @$$ where it came from. Doushe bags. thebirdman

LATA~!

Sorry about the typo, I'm sure you haven't had a few in your time posting on here. I was feeling a bit of anger when I wrote that. Want me to dedicate this post to you? Ok, first first, let me say this, if a bit of language hurts your sensitive little ears, well in this case, your eyes, maybe you shouldn't go anywhere but church. In todays society, a little bit of swearing is all to common, pretty much expected. So what are you, a 15 year old choir girl? Nice attacks on me man, I like being singled out, it makes me feel warm inside. :thebirdman: :stfu:

(I couldn't help but display my immaturity by putting those last two icons in there. Do you need a tissue so you can cry about them too?)

I mean, if you don't like me expressing my opinion by countering the bashing people are doing to Williamson by bashing them to see how they like it, I guess you'll have to just get over it. :salute:

Once again another SPECTACULAR post. Good Job. Congratulations. You earned it. :thumbleft:

All sarcasm aside... :thebirdman:

LuckyVike
05-12-2005, 04:21 AM

"Vikes2611" wrote:

"Vikes2611" wrote:

LATA~!

Once again another SPECTACULAR post. Good Job. Congratulations. You earned it. :thumbleft:

All sarcasm aside... :thebirdman:

Thanks man! I'm here to impress you. :roll:

Paulbedy59
05-12-2005, 04:30 AM
Williamson will be fine.Can,t wait for the Vikings at ford field this year.I remember in 98 when the lions closed within 14 points.There was a mom and her two kids in front of me wearing thier Lions jerseys,and thier faces all painted and everything.Then Jimmy Hitchcock picked off a pass and took it about 70 yards to the house.Man she was bitching about all the bad vibes,and those kids were just crying,all that paint just running down thier faces.I just looked at them and said,get use to it kids..yeah I know it,s got nothing to do with the thread.Just popped into my head..

Turboe
05-12-2005, 05:30 AM
I was playing golf today when I caught up with a twosome that invited me to play with them. I eventually found out that one of the guys was the Offensive Coordinator for an NFL team. I did not want to bore the guy and talk football the whole time, but we did talk a little.

When he learned I was a Vikings fan, and lived in SC he said "Did they have you scouting Williamson for them?" And I mentioned that I was a little bit bummed when we didnt pick Williams at #7. I mentioned the early rumors that we might even move up to get Edwards, and I was glad that we didnt do that, but that I was still surprised by our actual pick when it came time. And he said, "The guy you got will be better than those other two anyway. I liked him better as well." Although he said the other two will be good receivers as well, "They are just bangers, physical receivers." "Williamson has a chance to be a real superstar in this league because of his speed." His thought is once you get him working with a good NFL receivers coach that the other things will come.

It made me feel pretty good to hear that come from someone else who should know.

Euphman06
05-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Nice, that's what I like to hear. Hopefully it comes true

ultravikingfan
05-12-2005, 05:38 AM
It will be true.

We have had some good fortune with WR's and he is playing on a more confident Viking team now.

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
05-12-2005, 05:40 AM
I hope the guy was telling the truth about being an off. coord. and not just blowing smoke up your a$$

Turboe
05-12-2005, 05:49 AM
He was, I checked when I got to my hotel this evening and got online.

ultravikingfan
05-12-2005, 05:53 AM
It would have been more interesting asking him his take on a pro football player carrying a fake pee-pee around! :lol:

Turboe
05-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately I didnt know about the fake pee-pee incident at the time. Now I do.

80_was_the_man
05-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Plus to the guy who said you cant teach speed....or size when i t came to Williamson vs. Williams. Do you know realize Troy is 6'2", thats fairly big, Williams is freakin TE size with TE speed. You gus say sure thing, i say its the exact opposite of a Napoleon Complex. Move him to TE and he could be the best in the league(if he is as good a blocker as they say)

2 years from now Troy could have triple the number Williams has we have no idea. But I promise you this Troy has more potential to fill Randys shoes than Mike Williams did.

fred3105
05-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Im really sick of people talking about how slow Mike Williams is when there are so many sucessful 4.6s 40time WRs in the league. I would probably bet that there are more top 4.6 WRs than <4.4WRs.

Euphman06
05-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I think williams would be a heck of a TE if he packed on a few more pounds in bulk.. maybe he should do that if the wide out doesn't work for him

ultravikingfan
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
"Euphman06" wrote:

I think williams would be a heck of a TE if he packed on a few more pounds in bulk.. maybe he should do that if the wide out doesn't work for him

He would need quite a few pounds.

audioghost
05-12-2005, 06:23 AM
One mini-camp down, and the useless speculation begins...give him a break, hes been to 3 practices without pads...i wouldn't freak out till u see him on the field!

SKOL
05-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the Golf story turboe. Best post on this thread. I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the Williamson pick. It's nice to hear of another person "in the know" that agreed with the pick.

Turboe
05-12-2005, 06:26 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

Thanks for the Golf story turboe. Best post on this thread. I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the Williamson pick. It's nice to hear of another person "in the know" that agreed with the pick.

Thanks for the props. Just trying to keep up the level of my posts so that someday I might deserve and have a cool Sig bestowed on me by one of the PP.O gods.

You will find I will try to work golf into anything I can.

As an aside....What a great day, I played golf with some potential customers, and hopefully will get an inquiry out of them because of it. Then when we finished and they left I went out to play a few more holes since it was such a nice day. Thats when I matched up with these guys and they convinced me to play another complete 18 holes with them, We had a good time.

Is this a great country or what? I love my job!!!!

akvikefan89
05-13-2005, 01:11 AM
"amth" wrote:

Even Moss didn't come out and shine in his rookie season. Troy has great promise and alot of things that can't be tought. Give him a little time to be around Burleson (who runs great routes and has alot of things he can teach Williamson)and Culpepper. Mike Williams is a Senior, Troy Williamson is a junior, the kid has raw talent, lets devolep it a little. About the weight problem, this is just minicamp, let the Vikes staff work him out some in the weight room. We wont be complaining a few years when Troy has devoleped into a great reciever, and MW hasn't improved as much. If there is one thing the Vikes staff does well, it is scouting and drafting. I trust the Troy pick completley.

fred3105
05-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Moss didnt shine in his rookie season? He had probably the best rookie season ever by a WR. Maybe you are talking about minicamp but I dont know. Also Mike Williams is a Junior thats why he could not enter the draft last year.On improving, Mike Williams doesnt have much to improve on compared to Troy. Troy is so raw and should improve a lot more over the next few years compared to Mike Williams.

vegasvike
05-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't know if anyone remember the year before Roy Williams (wr) was drafted all these scouts were saying that he didn't have hands, he was slow, and he couldnt make it in the NFL. What do you think that they are saying now? If troy needs a couple of seasons to improve we still have TT and I think that he will make people notice him this year

akvikefan89
05-13-2005, 01:51 AM
"fred3105" wrote:

Moss didnt shine in his rookie season? He had probably the best rookie season ever by a WR. Maybe you are talking about minicamp but I dont know. Also Mike Williams is a Junior thats why he could not enter the draft last year.On improving, Mike Williams doesnt have much to improve on compared to Troy. Troy is so raw and should improve a lot more over the next few years compared to Mike Williams.

Thought he was a Senior :angry7:
Nevertheless, Troy has alot more potential then MW.
Still happy with the pick. :occasion5:

jessejames09
05-13-2005, 01:56 AM
i havnt seen any of the Williamson videos can someone send me a link or two?

akvikefan89
05-13-2005, 01:58 AM
"jessejames09" wrote:

There is a really good one on the home page of this site.

jessejames09
05-13-2005, 02:05 AM
yeah i tryed it out... for some reason it wont open. strange

canadian_vikes_fan
05-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Can we at least wait until his first career NFL game before we start calling Williamson a bust? He's got a ton of talent and with such a good system and coaching staff, he'll surely develop into a pretty good receiver at the least. Hopefully, he'll be able to become a dominant receiver to complement Burleson and we can all forget about Moss.

akvikefan89
05-13-2005, 02:12 AM
"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:

Can we at least wait until his first career NFL game before we start calling Williamson a bust? He's got a ton of talent and with such a good system and coaching staff, he'll surely develop into a pretty good receiver at the least. Hopefully, he'll be able to become a dominant receiver to complement Burleson and we can all forget about Moss.
Will be happy on that day :lol:

ultravikingfan
05-13-2005, 04:11 AM
"akvikefan89" wrote:

Even Moss didn't come out and shine in his rookie season.

May I inquire your age? http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/confused/031.gif

smootpepper
05-13-2005, 04:16 AM
about williamsons drops, from what i have read, he dropped a couple balls the 1st day of mini camp that he should have caught. He then worked with the receivers coach to get his hand positioning corrected and he has caught almost everything since.

He does need help with running routes, something most rookies do need help with.

But he has burned our secondary a few times for long TD's.

He will be fine, just give him a couple years to develope.

FuadFan
05-13-2005, 04:40 AM
He does need a little help on his routes, but if he can beat our corners there aren't that many other ones that are better.

midgensa
05-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Dud that is the best sig ever, I am cracking up right here at work.

PurplePackerEater
05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
"smootpepper" wrote:

about williamsons drops, from what i have read, he dropped a couple balls the 1st day of mini camp that he should have caught. He then worked with the receivers coach to get his hand positioning corrected and he has caught almost everything since.

He does need help with running routes, something most rookies do need help with.

I would think that Randy's replacement would at least have figured out how to catch a damm ball by know.

A couple years to develope?? I thought Tice had us on a three year plan that started two years ago. This was supposed to be our year. I guess Tice never figured in the Moss trade.

We might go 7-9, at least Williamson won't be a distraction to Birk. :roll:

ItalianStallion
05-13-2005, 05:40 AM

"smootpepper" wrote:

I would think that Randy's replacement would at least have figured out how to catch a damm ball by know.

A couple years to develope?? I thought Tice had us on a three year plan that started two years ago. This was supposed to be our year. I guess Tice never figured in the Moss trade.

The success of our team does not hinge on one WR. In case you didn't notice, we had the best in the game for 7 years and that did not win us anything.

Williamson is not Moss' replacement, nobody ever will be. Williamson will be at best our #2 receiver this year.

This can be our year, though it may not be Williamson's.

FuadFan
05-13-2005, 06:02 AM
Jeez PackerEater has watching what Moss did spoil you a bit, it does take some time for players to become great Cris Carter didn't become great overnight give the kid his proper chance.

cajunvike
05-13-2005, 06:08 AM

"smootpepper" wrote:

Did YOU figure in the Moss trade? Who the heck did? What you said is pretty foolish considering that Tice did not force the Moss trade...it came from higher up. As for 7-9, we will be much better than that...our defense alone will win us more games than last year...Moss or no Moss!

PurplePackerEater
05-13-2005, 06:14 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"smootpepper" wrote:

We might go 7-9, at least Williamson won't be a distraction to Birk. roll

The success of our team does not hinge on one WR. In case you didn't notice, we had the best in the game for 7 years and that did not win us anything.

Williamson is not Moss' replacement, nobody ever will be. Williamson will be at best our #2 receiver this year.

This can be our year, though it may not be Williamson's.Oh, Like it or not, Williamson IS Mosses replacement, check the trade.

And why do you blame Moss for not winning "anything" for us?? Like you even said in the previous sentence "The success of our team does not hinge on one WR." MOSS DID HIS JOB. Check the player stats. He only played one position (sometimes QB-lol)

Last year Roy Williams was Detroits #1 reciever, why is it such a stretch to have a rookie reciever (drafted in the same slot)be our #1??

I'm skeptical that we made the right choice. (obviously)

cajunvike
05-13-2005, 06:17 AM

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"smootpepper" wrote:

This can be our year, though it may not be Williamson's.Oh, Like it or not, Williamson IS Mosses replacement, check the trade.

And why do you blame Moss for not winning "anything" for us?? Like you even said in the previous sentence "The success of our team does not hinge on one WR." MOSS DID HIS JOB. Check the player stats. He only played one position (sometimes QB-lol)

Last year Roy Williams was Detroits #1 reciever, why is it such a stretch to have a rookie reciever (drafted in the same slot)be our #1??

It is what it is...we gotta dance wit who we brung...and this year it is Williamson, like it or not. I am sure that the Vikings FO is we aware of the difference between Randy and Troy...and they have compensated on defense accordingly. The Vikings will be just fine next season...without Moss!

Turboe
05-13-2005, 02:45 PM

Oh, Like it or not, Williamson IS Mosses replacement, check the trade.

Just because a player was taken with the pick obtained in the trade does not make him a replacement for that player.

To follow that logic, what if we would have drafted Shawne Merriman or Derrick Johnson with that 7th pick. Would they "have been Moss's replacements"? According to that logic yes they have to be they were taken with the pick we got for Moss. Yet, neither of them have Moss's speed, and I doubt they would ever be able to teach them to run routes or catch the ball nearly as well as Moss did either.

Better yet, Napolean Harris came over directly for Moss in the trade, maybe he is Moss's replacement. Again I doubt he will ever be 1/2 the receiver that Moss was.

That doesnt make it a bad trade. Lest we forget the goal, we are not trying to replace a particular player we are trying to become a better football team! And I think that any of the above moves would have made us a better team as well, obviously without "replacing Moss". Everyone needs to just chill here and face the facts Moss is not a Viking any more, and move on. You cant replace exactly with another player. (Not that we would want to replace Randy with another exact duplicate because there were reasons he is gone in the first place, remember that.)

MiketheVike
05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Why is there a 5 page thread concerning Troy Williamson's dropped balls at an unrequired week-long mini-camp in late April or early May?

Wow...Minnesota fans are not going to give this guy any slack, unless he is the next Randy Moss or better. Guess what folks...he's gone. Get over it. He was on our team for years and never took us to the promise land. I'm ready for a change...Williamson may or may not be the guy to do it. But I think I will cut him some slack after a mere one week mini-camp in April. I think some people like to bitch, just to bitch. Doesn't it get old to live your life thinking about what could have been??? Get over it.

PurplePackerEater
05-13-2005, 05:35 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"smootpepper" wrote:

It is what it is...we gotta dance wit who we brung...and this year it is Williamson, like it or not. I am sure that the Vikings FO is we aware of the difference between Randy and Troy...and they have compensated on defense accordingly. The Vikings will be just fine next season...without Moss!

Wow, we'll be 8-8, and your fine with that? I want to win something! I'm sick of making the wild card and not going anywhere.

Everyone needs to quit worrying about Public Relations and start worrying about winning!

It's not Randy's fault we lost. Check the stats, Randy's were great, the D's was almost dead last. YOU CAN NOT WIN WITH THAT TYPE OF BALANCE.

V4L
05-13-2005, 05:39 PM

"cajunvike" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Wow, we'll be 8-8, and your fine with that? I want to win something! I'm sick of making the wild card and not going anywhere.

Everyone needs to quit worrying about Public Relations and start worrying about winning!

It's not Randy's fault we lost. Check the stats, Randy's were great, the D's was almost dead last. YOU CAN NOT WIN WITH THAT TYPE OF BALANCE.

We have balance now.. I dont think anyone is fine with an 8-8 season either.. Williamson is a rookie give him a break until he does something wrong.. he dropped a few balls in minicamp.. oh well.. we have burleson, taylor, and m-rob.. if williamson doesnt do that well i feel comfortable with who we got.. not many rookies have stellar first years.. If Williamson doesn't who cares he will be great in the future

PurplePackerEater
05-13-2005, 06:01 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

We have balance now.. I dont think anyone is fine with an 8-8 season either.. Williamson is a rookie give him a break until he does something wrong.. he dropped a few balls in minicamp.. oh well.. we have burleson, taylor, and m-rob.. if williamson doesnt do that well i feel comfortable with who we got.. not many rookies have stellar first years.. If Williamson doesn't who cares he will be great in the future

Wow -I might be the only one that cares about this season. Sorry.

V4L
05-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Who says we dont care? We love the vikes as much as you and want to see them succedd.. But there is nothing we can do but support them.. and not put down our players for dumb reasons

PurplePackerEater
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Who says we dont care? We love the vikes as much as you and want to see them succedd.. But there is nothing we can do but support them.. and not put down our players for dumb reasons

I don't think that it's dumb. We drafted a Reciever that can't recieve.

We could have signed Hakim. They seem to be alike.

V4L
05-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Dude just cuz someone on yahoo said he dropped a couple balls dont mean he cant recieve.. Im sure Mike Williams dropped a couple already also.. So relax man

NodakVike
05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
All u ever say ppe is Moss this Moss that he is gone get over it Troy will be fine.

whackthepack
05-13-2005, 07:01 PM

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Wow -I might be the only one that cares about this season. Sorry.

Get over it you whinning little bitch!!!!!!!!!
Randy was a great player but he was also a distraction on the team and had split the locker room! I am glad he is gone!!!!!!!!!!

He will be good in Oakland for the 1st half of the season and then the real Randy will start to come out and he will cause more problems than he is worth!

He also has had serious injury problems and they are getting worse. Reports of back and ankle problems during this off season, he is a big risk right know with the money he makes!

So he is gone and if the Vikes had got nothing for him I would rather have him off the field. And if they could get rid of his little bobo Kelly Campbell it would be even better!

whackthepack
05-13-2005, 07:03 PM
PS. PPE Randy Moss has never been our would ever be the Vikings. The were here long before him, and long after him!

purplehorn
05-13-2005, 07:09 PM
[quote="PurplePackerEater"I don't think that it's dumb. We drafted a Reciever that can't recieve.

[/quote]

RECORD REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 6-5 43 835 19.4 7 4 30 7.5 0

835 yards avg 19.4 per reception from a team
that mostly runs the ball?? I hardley call that
a reciever who can't recieve. Troy will be a
pretty decent reciever. Perhaps you might do
some research before putting your foot in your mouth :shock:

Euphman06
05-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Everyone needs to chill.. Our offense will run just fine with or without williamson. Especially if TT steps it up like I've been hearing he has. Im almost thinking we could have gottan Derrick Johnson and Erasmus James in the first and gone with a reciever in the second..
Damn.. but im happy and content with who we got and i think no matter how well williamson performs, our offense will run on all cylinders. Relax people.

Del Rio
05-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Whack, that is the longest quote I have ever seen, I am very impressed :grin:

I don't know how I missed out on the action of this cluster fuck of a thread. But I see purplehorn is here and whack, and I know from experience they are two of the most stubborn, football minded people around, and you will NOT win an argument. :grin:

From what I understand of what I read is basically...

Boo Hoo we pissed everything away.........QQ
Boo Hoo Moss is gone......................QQ

Boo Hoo Williamson has no hands apparently he lost them in a freak accident when he was trying to circumsize an otter.......................QQ

Boo Hoo he is to small, I don't care he is catching 70+ yard passess on the CB I am in love with..QQ

Boo Hoo it sucks to be a viking fan I wish I was a lions fan..................................QQ

That's about all I got out of it cry more noob.

ultravikingfan
05-13-2005, 08:29 PM
The entire point of this thread is ruined. The original post:

"amth" wrote:

Then somebody tossed in a Moss comment, and then we end up with the entire Moss debate from the same people.

Stop turning threads into this kind of pooh; a lot of members have personally informed me that this kind of stuff is turning them off to PP.O.

PAvikesfan
05-13-2005, 08:38 PM
and another thing...Moss is.....

hahahahahahahahaha.

Williamson will be fine. He will never be the bust Freddie Mitchel was for the eagles. and plus i doubt he will nickname himself the people's champion. i am looking forward to seeing the guy play. i will say he sucks when the season starts. until then, i am not concerned.

cajunvike
05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

The entire point of this thread is ruined. The original post:

"amth" wrote:

Then somebody tossed in a Moss comment, and then we end up with the entire Moss debate from the same people.

Stop turning threads into this kind of pooh; a lot of members have personally informed me that this kind of stuff is turning them off to PP.O.

I vote that we ban all of the Moss fans that won't let go!

Personally, I am content to bash the crap out of them all day long, but I can understand that others might not want to see this. Of course, I wouldn't be bashing the naysayers so much if they would chill out and focus on next season and what we have...I have said it many times...we gotta dance with the ones that we brung!

ultravikingfan
05-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Do you think a reason why he dropped the passes is that he may be nervous or really trying too hard to impress the coaches and other players?

PAvikesfan
05-13-2005, 09:00 PM
we didn't have that when we had moss!

hahahahaha...can't help myself.

<really, i am just kidding. this years vikes will be much better than last year. let's forget about moss. he was just one player.>

purplehorn
05-13-2005, 09:15 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Boo Hoo Williamson has no hands apparently he lost them in a freak accident when he was trying to circumsize an otter.......................QQ

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

lmao that is a top 10 HOF post

cajunvike
05-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Quote from Scouts, Inc. article:

Minnesota's changes this offseason weren't limited to the defense, of course. A lot of people assume the loss of Moss will really hurt the offense. While he certainly was a great player, his departure means the philosophy of the unit will change. The coaching staff likes to run the football to set up the passing game. They got away from that philosophy in 2004, running the ball 130 fewer times than in 2003. While their 4.7 yards per carry average was high (second in the NFL), their play calling reflected a pass-heavy scheme.

The team missed the blocking of tight end Jim Kleinsasser, who went down in Week 1 with a knee injury. Without him, the Vikings went from a two-tight end, one-back offense with a power-run mentality to a three-receiver, one-back offense with a pass-first, run-second mentality. In 2005, the Vikings will look to return to the two-tight end set and pound the football to set up the vertical passing game. This ball-control attack will take pressure off the defense, which was on the field too much last season. With the Moss "star system" no longer a factor, the Minnesota offense will adopt a production by committee approach at running back and wide receiver.

AND we will be a better TEAM as a result...not as many great PLAYS to cheer about...but more great WINS! I will take that any day!

oldschoolmikey
05-13-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm surprised Williamson doesn't have a "no circumsizing small mammals" clause in his contract. That is a dangerous hobby.

Del Rio
05-13-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/conserv/conservimages/otter3.jpg

oldschoolmikey
05-13-2005, 10:23 PM
See what I mean?
Look at the claws on that beast!

muchluv4smoot
05-14-2005, 01:56 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Do you think a reason why he dropped the passes is that he may be nervous or really trying too hard to impress the coaches and other players?

Sure nerves factor into it, but check the scouting reports on him or check out his highlight videos, he doesn't have good hands. Watching his videos, you can see he likes to catch the ball with his body and not his hands, that isn't good. Hopefully he will quickly learn to catch with his hands and not let the ball get to his body.

There were 2 things that I said mike williamson had on williamson by a ton, and those were route running and hands. Already in mini camp, williamson's weaknesses in those 2 areas are showing.

However, williamson will learn to run routes with more time and experience, and he will be taught to catch with his hands and not his body. So both of these things can be improved apon, but will TAKE TIME. Again I will say, too many people see he was taken at 7 and thought well he must be awesome and be ready to be a starter and star right away in week 1. This isn't the case at all. It is gonna take some time for him to develope and learn, so lets be patient.

We improved our D a ton and get jimmy K and rosey back healthy this year, so our D and running game should be vastly improved from last year, meaning it isn't neccessary for williamson to come in a be a star right away, like I think mike williams would have if we took him.

muchluv4smoot
05-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Edited

fred3105
05-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Thats what I thought when I read that post Muchluv. But then I read it again and its says year before he was drafter. Which would of been 2003 and personaly dont remember what they were saying about him back then. I think it was along the same lines though.

muchluv4smoot
05-14-2005, 02:18 AM
"fred3105" wrote:

Thats what I thought when I read that post Muchluv. But then I read it again and its says year before he was drafter. Which would of been 2003 and personaly dont remember what they were saying about him back then. I think it was along the same lines though.

Actually the year before, roy williams was being looked at as a top 5 pick. That is why he was commended by so many people for returning for his senior year. Roy was always fast and always had awesome hands. He actually looked better to scouts the year before he entered the draft, than he did the year he was in the draft, due to the fact that he didn't have a good passing QB in texas his senior year, so he didn't get the chances to impress.

fred3105
05-14-2005, 02:37 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"fred3105" wrote:

Actually the year before, roy williams was being looked at as a top 5 pick. That is why he was commended by so many people for returning for his senior year. Roy was always fast and always hand awesome hands. He actually looked better to scouts the year before he entered the draft, than he did the year he was in the draft, due to the fact that he didn't have a good passing QB in texas his senior year, so he didn't get the chances to impress.

Thats what I thought. I thought he was the #2 WR in the nation at the time,behind Andre Johnson, but I wasnt positive.

carolinafan
05-14-2005, 04:59 PM

For all you skeptic Williamson faithful http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=citadel-2_378005_93&prov=citadel&type=story

I just read it too and was thinking the SAME thing. I too have a friend that's a Lions Fan and has rubbed in the same stuff. I think that we 1. made a mistake trading Moss and 2. made a mistake drafting Williamson over Williams.

Please tell me this is not the "breaking news from camp" link that got this all started. If this little blurb disturbs you as a fan, I feel sorry for you. It was simply a statement that TW will need to hit the weights a little and concentrate during drills a little more. Duhh. How earth shattering. He's been a pro now for two weeks. Good news is, he's at the camps working, and not some hold out.

Also, where's the great pub on Mike Williams on this article??? It didn't say sqat about MW was "looking great" at camp. Let's not freak out every time Troy drops a pass. If it's a habit in games, then let's worry.

carolinafan
05-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Ahh, a voice of reason. Thanks for the sanity on a stupid thread to begin with. I'll guarantee you, every person on this board would be crapping it their pants when they arrived at their first mini camp. Troy is a 21 yr old junior, he's hit the big time, and he's playing ball with many of his idols. I'd say dropping a few balls during the week is allowed. A guy that wants to please everyone so much can't be all bad. Troy knows what he needs to work on, and the good news is, he'll do it.

Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks were in the same boat as Troy. Look how they turned out. Troy will be better than both when it's all over. I'll give you another example.....from basketball........Jermaine O'Neal. He came into the NBA very young, did very little the first 3 or 4 yrs as his body developed, and look at him now as an Allstar. TW won't take 3 or 4 yrs, but let's give him more than 1 week.

cajunvike
05-14-2005, 05:57 PM
"carolinafan" wrote:

Ahh, a voice of reason. Thanks for the sanity on a stupid thread to begin with. I'll guarantee you, every person on this board would be crapping it their pants when they arrived at their first mini camp. Troy is a 21 yr old junior, he's hit the big time, and he's playing ball with many of his idols. I'd say dropping a few balls during the week is allowed. A guy that wants to please everyone so much can't be all bad. Troy knows what he needs to work on, and the good news is, he'll do it.

Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks were in the same boat as Troy. Look how they turned out. Troy will be better than both when it's all over. I'll give you another example.....from basketball........Jermaine O'Neal. He came into the NBA very young, did very little the first 3 or 4 yrs as his body developed, and look at him now as an Allstar. TW won't take 3 or 4 yrs, but let's give him more than 1 week.

Great post, new guy! :grin: I like that positive attitude! Keep up the good work!

carolinafan
05-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Great post, new guy! :grin: I like that positive attitude! Keep up the good work![/quote]

Thanks Cajun Vike...............I kind of like being a new Viking fan. (Lord knows being an SC fan can be frustrating). I'm looking forward to next season. May have to get the ESPN NFL package now to see the Vikes a bunch.

Maybe we should just all ask Fred Smoot how TW is doing. TW's burnt him twice now. Now bad for a rookie (even one that dropped a few balls:)

Turboe
05-15-2005, 04:41 AM
Carolina,

You may have posted this somewhere but where are you from? Which Carolina and where?

carolinafan
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
"Turboe" wrote:

Carolina,

You may have posted this somewhere but where are you from? Which Carolina and where?

South Carolina.........(the Carolinafan handle does not mean Panther fan. Went to SC, love SC sports)

carolinafan
05-15-2005, 05:22 PM
"carolinafan" wrote:

"Turboe" wrote:

Carolina,

South Carolina.........(the Carolinafan handle does not mean Panther fan. Went to SC, love SC sports)

Born/raised in Spartanburg. I see you're from G'ville. I worked there for many years. Now in TN (and yes, I hate the Vols:)

eclipse_2303
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
who cares what he does in mini camp, the guy can play during the games plain & simple. & I heard otherwise anyway, I heard he was burning Smoot consistantly in practice. Plus he is a rookie, he is supposed to make mistakes.

Turboe
05-16-2005, 04:43 PM
"carolinafan" wrote:

"Turboe" wrote:

Carolina,

Cool, sorry I was a little slow responding.

V4L
05-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I think Williamson will be a solid player for us next year.. forget the dropped balls in minicamp.. it was his first step at the NFL.. im sure BMW dropped atleast 1 as well

BBQ Platypus
05-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Calm down, people. There's no need to go postal over this. :violent3: Although the pick surprised me, I was satisfied that we picked Williamson.

Furthermore, the Williamson vs. Williams debate is now pointless. We already drafted Williamson. We can't undraft him and get Williams instead. Learn to be satisfied with what we have, which looks to me like a very talented, promising young receiver.

Big C
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
I was confused as most of you over the Williamson pick. However, I think we drafted what we needed. We needed a deep-threat reciever, not another posession reciever. So we took Williamson.

We are NOT a west coast offense that relies on 5 to 9 yard passes. We have Burleson and Taylor as possision recievers, Robinson for the Jump/Fade in the end zone, Jimmy, Wiggins and Mewelde for the third down conversions and Williamson as the deep threat. I mean who knows? What if we run a 4 WR play with Williamson and Campell running deep post routes? I mean the offense now has more options in the playbook.

Also, like a lot of people mentioned, Troy is NOT Moss's replacement! No one can replace Moss. However, we need someone to replace the role that Moss played. That is the deep threat.

Yes I am sure Mike Williams is going to be a heck of a WR in the NFL. Maybe even better than Troy. But Troy will give our offense a dimension that Mike Williams can't.

Also, wasn't Burleson a "bust" in his first year as our #2 reciever? A year later the dude is our #1 reciever! Drew Bennett and Javon Walker are two other WRs that blossomed in their second NFL year. A rookie is a rookie no matter which round he gets drafted in. Give the the kid at least a year before passing judgement.

Swamination
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
I must admit, I wanted Williams because of all the hype surrounding him. But after they got done talking about Williamson, I knew that he was the perfect match for our offense. The man will burn holes through opposing D, and thats what we truly need. Plus the Vikes drafted him,and they know what they are doing.

Prophet
02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
"carolinafan" wrote:

...Ahh, a voice of reason.
Thanks for the sanity on a stupid thread to begin with.
I'll guarantee you, every person on this board would be crapping it their pants when they arrived at their first mini camp.
Troy is a 21 yr old junior, he's hit the big time, and he's playing ball with many of his idols.
I'd say dropping a few balls during the week is allowed.
A guy that wants to please everyone so much can't be all bad. Troy knows what he needs to work on, and the good news is, he'll do it...

Whatever happened to carolinafan?
Seems to be a bit quiet lately about his hero.

jessejames09
02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
"jessejames09" wrote:

Don't watch them me from the past, he sucks!... I actually liked him until i seen him you know, play.

Braddock
02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
"Swamination" wrote:

I must admit, I wanted Williams because of all the hype surrounding him. But after they got done talking about Williamson, I knew that he was the perfect match for our offense. The man will burn holes through opposing D, and thats what we truly need. Plus the Vikes drafted him,and they know what they are doing.

lol, if we had only knew..... lol

purplehorn
02-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I took my family to denver to see the last game of the year. Troy was by himself downfield
the ball thrown perfectly to him and as so often bounced off his numbers
???. He couldn't catch
a cold. My dream is he gets traded to Green Bay. Our brilliant coach however plans to keep
him around
:o

aaeyers
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Haha, this was an epic bump. Looking back, the posts at the beginning of the thread are hilarious.

mamaluke
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Never fear my Viking bretheren!!! Troy has been putting in some serious OT working with Brad Childress on the finer points of receiving. Here is a candid pic which found it's way out ot the secret practice sessions. Man I just can't get enough of Chilly in that favorite hat of his!! Looks like Troy just might be getting the hang of it!!!!!!

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Rod_gorilla_football.jpg (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Rod_gorilla_football.jpg)

litlharsh
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
"aaeyers" wrote:

Haha, this was an epic bump. Looking back, the posts at the beginning of the thread are hilarious.
lol so true. I read the post at the top of the thread and lolled hard.

Marrdro
02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
I love it when these old posts come up.

Having not been around in 2005 I probably would have been defending him as well.
Hell, I defended him up until the Denver game last year so I guess I would have some egg on my face as well.

But there are other gems in here other than some people making a bad call on T-will.
Some of the stuff about Vulgarity and Spellchecking were damn funny.

Purple Floyd
02-18-2008, 08:25 AM
"mamaluke" wrote:

Never fear my Viking bretheren!!! Troy has been putting in some serious OT working with Brad Childress on the finer points of receiving. Here is a candid pic which found it's way out ot the secret practice sessions. Man I just can't get enough of Chilly in that favorite hat of his!! Looks like Troy just might be getting the hang of it!!!!!!

Post of the month.

Priceless.

NodakPaul
02-18-2008, 08:32 AM
"purplehorn" wrote:

I took my family to denver to see the last game of the year. Troy was by himself downfield
???. He couldn't catch
a cold. My dream is he gets traded to Green Bay. Our brilliant coach however plans to keep
him around

Must... resist... green... dot...

Marrdro
02-18-2008, 08:33 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"mamaluke" wrote:

Post of the month.

Priceless.

LOL.
I am sure the Chiller was on the field working with the guy like he didn't have anything better to do.

magicci
02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I dont know how Troy can not catch the ball. if he could just do that him in the slot would work out pretty darn good.

Marrdro
02-20-2008, 01:25 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"purplehorn" wrote:

???. He couldn't catch
him around

Must... resist... green... dot...

I bet I get one before you do.

;D