PDA

View Full Version : Going public?

Guruzen
05-06-2005, 02:49 AM
The Packers are a publicly listed company that is owned by the people of Green Bay. I do not know all the details, but can somebody please explain why more teams haven't done this, including us?

It is a sound investment... a $600mil franchise that generates between 5-10% ROI.

And, because the fans own it, you can be guaranteed we would be free from relocation and greedy owners whose bottome line is $$$, rather than the interests of the team.

akvikefan89
05-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Minnesotans wont even help pay for a new stadium. One thing to be admitted about people from Wisconsin...They will pay any price to keep the Packers from going under :evil:

Webby
05-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Green Bay was grandfathered in on that. No team can be publicly owned AFAIK by NFL rules.

Kleinsasser40
05-06-2005, 03:29 AM
I say we all jsut buy stock in the Packers, take control of the organization, and drive them into the ground.

fred3105
05-06-2005, 03:31 AM
If only the stock holders had any say.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Yeah they sold these Gold certificates to help pay for renevating Lambeau Field and on the certificate it said something to the effect of thank you for your contribution and it was worth nothing. They had more people sign up for the certificates than they had certificaes to sell.

ultravikingfan
05-06-2005, 04:03 AM
"Kleinsasser40" wrote:

I say we all jsut buy stock in the Packers, take control of the organization, and drive them into the ground.

Sherman is already doing that.

PurplePackerEater
05-06-2005, 04:21 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

Green Bay was grandfathered in on that. No team can be publicly owned AFAIK by NFL rules.

I knew the answer to that question, but WHY can't/won't it be changed??

What is the reasoning behind the rule??

How did only one team get grandfathered in??

:idea: It seems more logical to have a city/state own the team, after all the city/state already pays for half of the stadium. Bottom line...it's a source of revenue.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-06-2005, 04:25 AM
The problem is I think because then who will have final say on management decisions and decisions associated with the team. If you have a board of directors it would complicate who has final say on all decisions.

Just my guess and thoughts.

ultravikingfan
05-06-2005, 04:36 AM
The Cleveland Indians sold stock a few years back. I is more a novelty item. There are not any dividends or stake in ownership. It was just a way to raise money for the team.

LosAngelis
05-06-2005, 04:49 AM
The Packers literally sold stock in the early part of the 20th century to keep the team afloat. We took loans from George Halas, of all people.

The stock isn't necessarily "public". A stockholder gets a vote on who the team president or the board members are. It's pretty symbolic, more or less.

Stockholders get no dividends, regardless.

It is, effectively, a donation by fans to own a piece of the team.

There are also limits on how many shares can be owned by one person or organization. No one will ever have a majority of the stocks, or even come close. I think the max is actually 20 shares.

Regardless of the stocks, the Packers would have gone under in the 60s or 70s if it were not for the revenue sharing the NFL pioneered.

The best part: if the Packers were ever to be sold, stockholders would receive nothing. And, all the money is, by contract and deed, to be designated for a war memorial in a Green Bay park.

Can you imagine a $400,000,000 war memorial? I hope it has a water slide.

As to why other teams will never do it? NFL teams are rarely profitable. If teams had to pay dividends, they would be in the red every year, if they aren't already. You would have to convince the fan base to basically own a powerless stock that they will never be allowed to sell for more money than they paid for it, never benefit from it, and never actually be able to own enough to take control.

Not many places that will happen.

ultravikingfan
05-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Own any Los?

LosAngelis
05-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Nope, I was young and stupid and didn't buy one.

I actually know the guy who gets his picture out there a lot...he's the one who wears the cheesehead that has "OWNER" written on the side. He was in my fantasy football league for years.

ultravikingfan
05-06-2005, 05:00 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Nope, I was young and stupid and didn't buy one.

I actually know the guy who gets his picture out there a lot...he's the one who wears the cheesehead that has "OWNER" written on the side. He was in my fantasy football league for years.

So, all the corporate Packer bigwigs wear cheeseheads. Interesting.... :lol:

collegeguyjeff
05-06-2005, 08:07 AM
"Kleinsasser40" wrote:

i agree we should buy all he stocks and then ship the team somewhere else like las vegas ha ha