PDA

View Full Version : Best Teams to Never Win a Championship

Bdubya
04-13-2005, 12:55 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3520226?GT1=6335

I guess 98 that wasn't a good year for my teams. First the Braves, and then the Vikings.

Paulbedy59
04-13-2005, 01:57 AM
I would also put the 76 Vikings on that list.Bud grant himself stated that was the best team he ever had..

jellovike
04-13-2005, 01:59 AM
I will always remember that fatefull year we lost to the Falcons. I still have dreams of Gary Anderson missing that field goal. But hey, we'll get past that hump this year!

happy camper
04-13-2005, 02:04 AM
woulda been so awesome.

broncos vs vikings

daaaaamn.

Mr Anderson
04-13-2005, 02:08 AM
"jellovike" wrote:

I will always remember that fatefull year we lost to the Falcons. I still have dreams of Gary Anderson missing that field goal. But hey, we'll get past that hump this year!

My mom stopped me with the noose around my neck after that...

Bdubya
04-13-2005, 02:10 AM
My God, what have I done? I am bringing up old memories again. This was a bad move on my part.

vikinggreg
04-13-2005, 02:12 AM
98 they broke my son's heart, made him cry when they lost in OT. He was 7.

Now he's a teenager and may not make it to 14. :roll:

There still hope my youngest hates the Packers :grin:

And things are looking good this year :grin:

bmbollig
04-13-2005, 02:54 AM
i was seven and in second grade when they lost, i was cheering when Garry kicked it becaues it was the first year i knew something besides for the quarterbacks name. I knew he was going good that year but did not know that vikings chock everytime they need to win.

Mr Anderson
04-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I was 9 then, and I just didnt talk until the super bowl ended.

Cause "Tomorrow we're all undefeated"

michaelmazid
04-13-2005, 03:08 AM
"happy camper" wrote:

woulda been so awesome.

broncos vs vikings

daaaaamn.

We would beat Denver in the Super Bowl too. They had already won the previous year and they couldn't have been that hungry for a win. Plus, no one knew how to deal with Randy Moss.

vikinggreg
04-13-2005, 03:15 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

"happy camper" wrote:

woulda been so awesome.

broncos vs vikings

daaaaamn.

We would beat Denver in the Super Bowl too. They had already won the previous year and they couldn't have been that hungry for a win. Plus, no one knew how to deal with Randy Moss.

The Vikes were pretty banged up after that game as were the Falcons. I think a few linemen we had ended up needing to get their knees fixed after that battle.

DarrinNelsonguy
04-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Why did you have to bring up 1998 terrible experience, it still pains me to think about it.

Bdubya
04-13-2005, 03:32 AM
But by reading the article, it is nice to know that there are a bunch of other teams out there with fans just like us, who thought it was their year, and it just didn't work out.

cc21
04-13-2005, 03:47 AM
the 98 vikes, that was the first year i was a fan, that sucked so bad

NordicNed
04-13-2005, 03:58 AM
I actually went home and cried in "98",,,,

I truly thought that was our year, until the second that that d@m anouncer made the statement...."He Hasn't missed a field goal all year".....I had a gut feeling that was the wrong thing to say....And when he missed it, I new it was going to be bad.......

Can we talk about something else now....LOL...

Bdubya
04-13-2005, 04:02 AM
Maybe it's a good thing that they didn't win it that year. I was in 6th grade, so I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I would if they win it next season, or any other upcoming season.

ultravikingfan
04-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Thank goodness some of you never lived during the 70's! :lol:

jellovike
04-13-2005, 05:50 AM
Yeah. Being born in '85 has saved me from the misery you must have experienced ultravikingfan. The '98 disaster and the Giants NFC Title blowout have been enough for me. But hopefully the Viking's time will come soon.

vikinggreg
04-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Like when the Cowboys beat the Vikes with that stink'n hail marry pass. After the game Tark learned his father had a heart attack watching the game and died. That is the saddest football story ever and Fran retold it in his HOF speach.

jellovike
04-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Really?! Wow I never knew that Fran lost his father like that.

jellovike
04-13-2005, 05:58 AM
I can't even imagine how he must have felt after that game.

DarrinNelsonguy
04-13-2005, 06:09 AM
vikinggreg: That was pass interference and everyone knows it, gosh do I dislike the Cowboys!

Kdub4MVP
04-13-2005, 07:15 AM
ya that 98' tragedy was unmatched. i remember being depressed after that game for over a week. the vikings were destined to win that game and gary anderson blew it cuz his wife left him the week before or some bullcrap. that would have been a classic super bowl

Foranzan
04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I was also born in 85 and missed out on the pain of the 1970s.

Sports have caused me to cry twice in my life:

I couldn't watch the Falcons make that field goal. I went into the bathroom shut the door and bawled. Next day of school I wore a Vikings sweater and got made fun of :)

And the infamous "NOOOO.....NOOOOO!" game vs. the Cards two years ago that put our playoff hopes to a pretty fast stop. We didn't have the game on TV where I live (Iowa) and I was listening on the radio. Heard the screams of anguish live. I lost it then too.

hawaiianvike21
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I doubt we could beat the broncos in the superbowl that year anywayz. LIke someone else mentioned, a lot of our linemen and linebackers were pretty dinged up and probably would have been out for the big game.

I dont know how the 98 vikes d would contend with elway throwing and davis rushing. They were quite a combo. And you know how our defense likes to make no name qbs into hall of famers.

Just think what elway what have done. :shock:

Maybe its a good think because honestly i would have never pictured us winning against the broncos and it would have left us with a 0-5 record in superbowl standings.

NordicNed
04-13-2005, 12:50 PM
hey Ultra,

Oh how I remember the 70's also, so much so, I don't really like to think about it that much..

Besides, most Viking haters around here, tend to remind me of our Super Bowl record often...OUCH...

VikingGreg,

To this day, I still remember that Cowboy pass, I still wonder how much the ref got paid off for that non-call.........I'de have to say, I probably hate the Cowboys more than any other team in the NFL., even more than the Pack...

vikinggreg
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
VikingNed
I feel the pain, the Cowboys are my most hated team and the Walker trade and all those first round picks made me hate them more.

MarqVikesfaninva
04-13-2005, 04:28 PM
the falcons game was the worst day as a vikes fan of my life, my dad broke the coffee table he was so pissed when anderson missed the field goal, he knew it was over and I was holding out hope but it wasnt to be...

loudog
04-13-2005, 06:18 PM
I was a freshman in college that year, and I only saw about half the games at most. I clearly remember(well not really clearly--I was a freshman who just joined a fraternity for christs sakes) beating the crap out of everybody to the point where a lot of games were blowouts. We could have easily beat the Broncos. They're the ones who should have been scared of the Vikes, not the other way around. The Vikes were by far the best team that year.

Somebody should look-up and post the scores from the Vike's games that year, and you'll see what I mean. There was a reason we were 15-1. We were that d@mn good.

whackthepack
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
The 69 Vikings had the best defense of any Viking team and should ahve won the superbowl that year.

BigMoInAZ
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, I'd have to agree with Viking's Greg and Ned. The loss to the Cowturds was the biggest letdown IMHO. It was that Viking team that was billed the most talented of any previous Viking team and they were primed to finally win the big one. Conspiracy theories erupted all over the nation. The NFL didn't want to see the Vikings win the trophy. Ever since that game, the refs have screwed us royally!

ChiTownVike
04-16-2005, 09:25 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

98 they broke my son's heart, made him cry when they lost in OT. He was 7.

Now he's a teenager and may not make it to 14. :roll:

There still hope my youngest hates the Packers :grin:

And things are looking good this year :grin:

I was 7 also when they lost that game. I was crying for an hour.

That was the saddest day of my short life

NeoVikesTX
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
What about the 2004 Pittsburg Steelers? They went 15-1 and got blown out in the AFC Championship game and almost lost in the 2nd round before that.

Funny how you never hear about them choking last year, although they choked worse than we did in '98.

ultravikingfan
04-17-2005, 02:45 AM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

What about the 2004 Pittsburg Steelers? They went 15-1 and got blown out in the AFC Championship game and almost lost in the 2nd round before that.

Funny how you never hear about them choking last year, although they choked worse than we did in '98.

Living here in Clevland I hear about them choking all the time (no surprise). Do you realize, that the Steeler's are 1-5 in AFC Championship games under Cowher? And all 4 losses have come at home! Chokers!

purplegang
04-17-2005, 03:26 AM
losing to atlanta was a serious blow to my confidence in kickers, anderson hadnt missed one all year , that really hurt

VKG4LFE
04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
It is a good thing I wasn't around in the 70's cuz I probably wouldn't be here today! Those four superbowl losses would have killed me! Jan 7, 1999 (I believe that was the infamous date) put me into a deep funk that took about 3 weeks to get out of! Oh well, at least I'm still here to talk about it! We'll get there again, and we'll win one!!

oldschoolmikey
04-18-2005, 09:14 PM
There is not a Vikings team in history that could be described with the word "Best". To be the best you have to win the Superbowl, and the Vikes have not been able to do this yet. There is no point in talking about how "good" past teams were until they prove it when it counts.