PDA

View Full Version : Question about Smoot

vikesfan
03-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Many people seem to think Smoot is really good. I never cared about the Redskins so I never had a chance to see him play, or did I hear much about him. I was wondering, among the people who have watched him, how good he really is. Also, is it true that his tackling skills aren't very good but his coverage is great? Thanks for any info that anyone has.

SKOL
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I've wondered the same thing vf..., All I know is he was highly touted coming out of college and was supposed to go high in the draft. I believe he lasted until the 2nd round.

cajunvike
03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
"vikesfan" wrote:

Many people seem to think Smoot is really good. I never cared about the Redskins so I never had a chance to see him play, or did I hear much about him. I was wondering, among the people who have watched him, how good he really is. Also, is it true that his tackling skills aren't very good but his coverage is great? Thanks for any info that anyone has.

Great coverage skills...good enough that the Redskins were comfortable with letting Champ Bailey go in FA last year...I live in Redskins country and he is the real deal (and his tackling is still much better than what we had last year at his position)!

vikes09
03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
he isnt the body tackler antione is, but he gives up his body like him. his coverage skills are awesome. the only downside to someone like him is that he is a gambler. but as a #2 he is awesome, and will get a ton of intercpetions bc he has the speed and quickness to lure the qb to throwing over to him, which is why hes a gambler.

worshipabba2003
03-28-2005, 10:32 PM
he is always on the other teams best reciver. i cant rember to much about the times that i have saw him. i no that my eagles went to the other side most of the time on the weeker corners.

worshipabba2003
03-28-2005, 10:33 PM
:grin:

vikes09
03-28-2005, 10:35 PM
my dad is a eagles fan, so i know alot about the eagles so i got to watch them ALOT. :pukeright:

vikesfan
03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Do you think the Vikes will use him as a real #2 CB. Because last year, even with Winfield, it seemed like we didn't always line him up on the opponents best receiver. For example, when we played Houston I remember Shaw covering Johnson the whole game. But maybe that's because of the height difference, I'm not sure.

Del Rio
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Like I said in another post.

Fred Smoot over 4 seasons has managed a measly 182 tackles.

Both of our corners last year each had 80+ in one year. He is not used to this type of D that relies very heavily on the CB's to make the stops. He has everything to proove here.

From what I have seen/heard from my father in law who is a die hard pig fan, Smoot is not a good tackler. If our system remains the same he isn't going to be any better then what we had. If it does change and he is allowed to play CB he will be an improvement.

worshipabba2003
03-28-2005, 10:49 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Like I said in another post.

Fred Smoot over 4 seasons has managed a measly 182 tackles.

Both of our corners last year each had 80+ in one year. He is not used to this type of D that relies very heavily on the CB's to make the stops. He has everything to proove here.

From what I have seen/heard from my father in law who is a die hard pig fan, Smoot is not a good tackler. If our system remains the same he isn't going to be any better then what we had. If it does change and he is allowed to play CB he will be an improvement. i think that with all the ppl u added that you might be able to rely less on your corners to make tackles. if so smoot will be good.
i see him as a #1 corner not a #2

favre4ever
03-28-2005, 10:51 PM
I think he will definetly be an improvement for you guys but I dont think he will be as good as some are saying. I think winfield is still the best you guys got and a top five in the NFL.

vikes09
03-28-2005, 10:58 PM
i never said he was a good tackler, but more of a throw his body in there, and hes not scared.

Del Rio
03-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Not sure what is worse being a poor tackler or "throwing" your body around.

Yeah I agree with the Eagles fan. I think he was a goo dpickup because we improved on many levels. But if we had signed him alone and ended our moves I would not have been impressed.

muchluv4smoot
03-28-2005, 11:18 PM
"vikesfan" wrote:

Do you think the Vikes will use him as a real #2 CB. Because last year, even with Winfield, it seemed like we didn't always line him up on the opponents best receiver. For example, when we played Houston I remember Shaw covering Johnson the whole game. But maybe that's because of the height difference, I'm not sure.

I don't think we will have a #1 and #2 CB on this team. I think we will line up one guy on the left and one on the right, so that they can get used to mainly playing one side of the field. Either guy can be a #1 CB though. Smoot has better coverage skills than winfield, but is also more of a gambler and gets beat from time to time. He will give up some big plays, and make some big plays. Winfield nerver gave up any big plays, except for the so-called TD catch by TO. Smoot will give us more big plays than winfield, good and bad.

Despite everyone saying he is a bad tackler, I have seen him play a ton, in college and the NFL, and he isn't a bad tackler. Compared to winfield, you could say he is bad, but compared to the average starting CB, he would probably rank near the middle of the pack in tackling. He will make some big hits and miss some important tackles too.

So basically, what we got in smoot, is a guy that will give us big plays and give the opponent big plays too. But really, he isn't gonna give up near the ammount of big plays, that brian williams did last year, and will make more big plays for us too.

Del Rio
03-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Time will tell.

He makes a few mistakes the bandwagon will begin to get lighter.

I like the move but I'm not convinced he is as good as people are saying. If he is I will be very happy and will be thr first one to own up to my narrow mindedness.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-29-2005, 02:57 AM
i agree sel rio. Only time will tell.

RandyMoss8404
03-29-2005, 02:57 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"vikesfan" wrote:

I don't think we will have a #1 and #2 CB on this team. I think we will line up one guy on the left and one on the right, so that they can get used to mainly playing one side of the field. Either guy can be a #1 CB though. Smoot has better coverage skills than winfield, but is also more of a gambler and gets beat from time to time. He will give up some big plays, and make some big plays. Winfield nerver gave up any big plays, except for the so-called TD catch by TO. Smoot will give us more big plays than winfield, good and bad.

Despite everyone saying he is a bad tackler, I have seen him play a ton, in college and the NFL, and he isn't a bad tackler. Compared to winfield, you could say he is bad, but compared to the average starting CB, he would probably rank near the middle of the pack in tackling. He will make some big hits and miss some important tackles too.

So basically, what we got in smoot, is a guy that will give us big plays and give the opponent big plays too. But really, he isn't gonna give up near the ammount of big plays, that brian williams did last year, and will make more big plays for us too.

Let me tactfully disagree with you hear - I don't think Smoot has better cover skills than Winfield. Smoot takes far more risks, and note that Winfield only gave up one - yes, that's 1.0 - touchdowns last year, and that touchdown wasn't even a catch (against TO on monday night)

Smoot is much more of a gambler. I've seen Smoot on a good number of play action fakes - he just has the speed to recover.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-29-2005, 06:16 AM
"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"vikesfan" wrote:

exactly, so called TD catch by TO! We got robbed on that one!

vikes09
03-29-2005, 11:45 PM
yeah so, they wouldve been on the 1, and the way our defense was going, i think it wouldve taken alot to stop them.

PurpleElf
03-30-2005, 12:04 AM
What I see in Smoot is a lockdown CB, who occasionally baits QB's into thinking his man is open but has the speed to make a play on the pass. His tackling skills are good enough. And most of the passes hes gonna see this year are wobbling hurried throws that are easily picked off or batted down. And our LB's are gonna be flying all over the place making all the tackles instead of recent years when our DB's had to do all the tackling.

In my opinion the Vikes have one of the top two CB tandems in the league.

muchluv4smoot
03-30-2005, 01:54 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

"vikesfan" wrote:

Let me tactfully disagree with you hear - I don't think Smoot has better cover skills than Winfield. Smoot takes far more risks, and note that Winfield only gave up one - yes, that's 1.0 - touchdowns last year, and that touchdown wasn't even a catch (against TO on monday night)

Smoot is much more of a gambler. I've seen Smoot on a good number of play action fakes - he just has the speed to recover.

Just because winfield gave up only 1 TD, doesn't mean he is a better coverage CB than smoot. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league and he gives up plenty of TD's. Smoot is a better coverage CB than winfield, but is also much much more agressive at going after the ball. Just because he makes mistakes and gets beat, doesn't mean he isn't good at coverage. Winfield is more conservative and that is why he didn't give up many TD's or big plays.

Smoot is one of the best coverage CB's in the league and this is exactly why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year.

Not saying winfield isn't really good at coverage, but that is smoot's fortay.

Burley81
03-30-2005, 02:14 AM
I love Smoot's tackling skills, did anyone say that vid. someone posted of him? Pretty risky, but he is a great open field tackler.

muchluv4smoot
03-30-2005, 02:19 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

I love Smoot's tackling skills, did anyone say that vid. someone posted of him? Pretty risky, but he is a great open field tackler.

He makes some big hits and also misses tackles because he goes for the big hits. He is nowhere near the tackling Cb that winfield is. The guy always goes down when winfield is there.

Smoot is a cover CB, that is why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year.

Anahiem_Vikings
03-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Washington's Defense was highly ranked. Their offense stunk and they were able to beat better teams because of it. Smoot was part of a good unit. They make each other look good. I think he'll good alright. Our division has good receivers so this was a good move by Vikings. Don't have these doubts until you see him in action.

vikes09
03-30-2005, 03:35 AM
i think smoot will have a good year considering our defense will be so much better and our front 4 will be alot better. our front 7 is so much better i think that our corners will be like the eagles, all in the probowl!!!

KY Vike
03-30-2005, 03:56 AM
smoot is known for his coverage skills, not his tackling. he is ranked high among coverage cb's.

Del Rio
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Yeah, and if we play like we did last year he will be required to tackle more then cover and hence will become an over paid Williams.

snowinapril
03-30-2005, 03:37 PM
The one thing I found out about corners switching teams is this. Champ Bailey moved to a team were there was less respect by the opponents an these opponents decided to challenge him. He didn't look as good this past year as he did in Washington. Is it easier to be a CB in DC or what? Or did he have more respect in DC and people just gave up throwing at him?

vikesfan
03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
What I don't get is that if QB's stopped throwing at Champ Bailey that means that they were throwing at Smoot a lot. If that's the case, why were his tacking numbers so low. Some of that might have to do with his coverage skills, but still, if that many balls are being thrown his way, I would imagine he should have had way more tackles. Winfield didn't get too many balls thrown at him last year as QB's challenged B. Will and Shaw whenever they could and look how many tackles he had.

vikesfan
03-31-2005, 10:09 AM
That post wasn't meant to sound negative towards Smoot. I am really happy that we signed him because everybody said he was one of the top CB's. But personally I have never watched him play so I don't know anything about him.