PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 on the Horizon?

GettinWiggyWidIt
03-27-2005, 01:06 PM
With all these current linebackers we have, it might not be the worst idea in the world to change to a 3-4. Look at the recent success of teams who have used it: Atlanta, New England, Pittsburgh.... We just might have the personnel to do it. P-Will as the big nose run-stuffer, K-Will at an end and Udeze at the other with Johnstone coming in on 3rd and longs. With Cowart, Henderson, Thomas, Harris, Rod Davis, Raonall Smith, maybe pick up Derrick Johnson in the draft, we could make a switch. Ted Cottrell does have previous experience in the 3-4 with the Jets. A speed rushing end in the draft wouldnt hurt as well, maybe Pollack at 18? This isn't based on a rumor (as far as I know), this is just my opinion.

michaelmazid
03-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I am all for the 3-4. Anything to make us better. New England runs a 1-10 sometimes. Seriously. They put one defensive line guy on the line and 10 guys play the pass. Usually one more guy blitzes and 9 play the pass. I wish minnesota would try that sometimes. It looks cool and keeps the offense really confused.

cc21
03-27-2005, 01:12 PM
i say lets try anything, lol, obviously what we have been doin in past years hasnt been working.

GoVikings988
03-28-2005, 03:28 AM
id rather get a derrick johnson and a de in the draft and stick with the 3-4. we actually dont have 4 good lbs. we really only have 2 in harris and cowart. if we took dj and erasmus james in the draft we would be set up perfectly for a 4-3. i doubt kevin williams would be as good at de as he is a dt. big sapp didnt have a great year at de with the raiders this year.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-28-2005, 04:57 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

i say lets try anything, lol, obviously what we have been doin in past years hasnt been working.

exactly :thumbright:

Paulbedy59
03-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Cottrell has said he has no intention of going to a 3-4,but you never know.I,m not all that sure we have the personel to run it. :lol: :smile:

ultravikingfan
03-28-2005, 05:24 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

We have not had the talent that we now currently have either.

SKOL
03-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Adding DJ may be what we need to make the switch to the 3-4. If he's there at #7 it'd be nice to pick him up. We'd have to go receiver at #18 though, and there's some decent receivers who may yet be there when we get to 18.

UTVikfan
03-28-2005, 11:00 AM
New England, Pittsburgh, ohhhh, and Oakland play the 3-4 so its gotta be good. If you don't tackle in the 3-4 you have no more luck than not tackling in the 4-3. If you cover very poorly in the 3-4, its no better than covering very poorly in the 4-3. The scheme isn't what matters. I hope, and also bet, they stay 4-3.

Del Rio
03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Pat Williams is not an every down player. We will not run a 3-4. And take K-Will out of his element.

whyaskwhy33
03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Hello, I have been reading for a long time, however, this is my first post.
I have always wondered why the Vikings never tried our Chris Hovan as a linebacker; he was always small for the D-line. He has not had much interest in FA could he be back to help in a 3-4 ?

snowinapril
03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
"whyaskwhy33" wrote:

I have always wondered why the Vikings never tried our Chris Hovan as a linebacker; he was always small for the D-line. He has not had much interest in FA could he be back to help in a 3-4 ?

He left so pissed off, he burned some bridges I am sure as he was walking out the doors of the Vikings facilities after their last game. The reporters reported that he was letting obscenities fly from the door all the way to his car.

He won't be back unless we have different coach. He wouldn't do well as a LB. I don't think he has the lateral movement needed to play that position well at the level of the NFL.

Look for him to sign on or show up in the NYG training camp.

michaelmazid
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
"whyaskwhy33" wrote:

He is too slow. could you imagine Hovan covering B.Westbrook coming out of the backfield? Best position for Hovan is to be on the bench.

sitandbehitski
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
No 3-4 defense's, the Pat's run all sorts of allignments cause they have brilliant coaches who can confuse the heck out of the opposing teams. We got adequate (maybe) coaches, younger personnel who wouldn't be able to handle the schemes, and 5 new guys who don't even know the current scheme.

And Hovan is going to suck in any position you put him in.

vikes09
03-29-2005, 04:14 AM
i dont think that we would excel in a 3-4 becuase of our personel also. and udeze wouldnt be a good 3-4 de. its pretty much a DT. that would kind of be a waste in a way of a de.

nareg
03-29-2005, 04:38 AM
We will be better off in 4-3 then 3-4 bcuz in 4-3 we have k-will, p-will, udeze, johnnstone, and cowart, harris, EJ or thomas, but in 3-4 k-will doesnt play as good at DE and he doesnt like playing that position so i think we will be better off with 4-3

nareg
03-29-2005, 04:39 AM
we also have the new guys so lets seee how we do with the new guys in 4-3

T-Bone
03-29-2005, 04:48 AM
I would love to run a 3-4 but don't you need a stud safety? I know our CBs will be great but a smart safety we ain't got.

Caine
03-29-2005, 07:48 AM
How many times has this topic come up? Every time we add a new guy - or the previous 3-4 topic moves to page 2 (where no one will ever see it again), this get's another run around the track.

Let's face it, we don't have the people for a 3-4. Everyone we have picked up so far is geared for a 4-3. Harris just came from a 3-4...WHERE HE STRUGGLED. Why, for the love of Mike, would we put him right back into one?

We don't have the up front people for it, we don't have the LB's for it...in short, we CAN'T go to a 3-4. Not as our primary D.

Sure, we could switch...but we'd simply undo everything we've done this off season by doing so. Last season we couldn't get QB pressure with 4 guys on the line...and now you want to try it with 3?!?!?!?

Bottom line, we aren't switching. Just because NE runs one doesn't mean we have to. With the people we've added, our 4-3 looks primed to tear some people up. Let's not screw with that.

Caine

DiehardVikesFan
03-29-2005, 07:52 AM
3-4 makes no sense. Why make our D-stud in KWill play a 3-4 end, who's assignment is to simple eat blockers up. We also are deeper at DL than LB, so why would you put more LBs on the field? Also, Udeze doesn't quite have the size to be a 3-4 end.

collegeguyjeff
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
only way this will work is if we do a lot of line backer blitzes that would help. we need to mix things up anyways, if all we do is play 3-4 that don't leave as many options open on defense.

Purple
03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
I can't see any of the posts. Just since yesterday. Anybody know why?