PDA

View Full Version : RUNNING BACK BATTLE

PurplePharaoh
03-26-2005, 12:24 AM
RUNNING BACK BATTLE
Though giving Michael Bennett the edge, Tice has declared the starting running back job open, leaving Bennett, Onterrio Smith and Mewelde Moore to fight for time _ beginning with minicamp in late April. Veteran Moe Williams is still around, too.

But Tice, speaking at the league meetings, said it's unlikely the Vikings will trade one of them.

"I've talked to the kids, and this is how it has to be," he said. "All three have tremendous talent. Obviously, Moe Williams always has a role and will continue to have it until he decides not to play anymore. He knows that.

"Michael is the most explosive, but Mike's had a couple bad nicks the past two years. Just when it looks like he's taking his game to the next level, sprained ACL. Onterrio's had some nicks, too. And Mewelde is just a young, gifted talent who is probably the most versatile. All three young men have to have what anyone asks in life, which is the opportunity to be the guy.

"My philosophy -- when a guy steps up and emerges as the guy, he is the guy. When he wants to play, he'll play. When we feel like he needs a break, he'll come out. Most running backs are pretty good about taking themselves out. The second guy will be the spell guy. The third guy? He won't be happy. That's just the way it's got to be."

WITHROW SIGNS
The team didn't announce it, but backup center and guard Cory Withrow signed a one-year contract last week including incentives and a $50,000 bonus, agent Joe Linta said. Withrow recently switched agents from Chris Murray to Linta, giving the Connecticut-based Linta five Vikings offensive linemen as clients. He also works for Matt Birk, Mike Rosenthal, Adam Goldberg and Brandon Newton.

mattitude615
03-26-2005, 12:29 AM
on the running back thing, tice has always seemed to have a thing for bennett, so i wouldnt be surprised to see bennett win the job....

PurplePharaoh
03-26-2005, 12:38 AM
If he's not traded

vikes09
03-26-2005, 09:54 AM
i thought tice said it was unlikely to trade any of them.

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 10:03 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

i thought tice said it was unlikely to trade any of them.A trade is unlikely because nobody's going to give what we want. Colts and Seahawks have better backs on the trading block and their seems to be quite a few in the draft.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

He also said that he wouldn't trade moss, right?

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
"mattitude615" wrote:

on the running back thing, tice has always seemed to have a thing for bennett, so i wouldnt be surprised to see bennett win the job....

The "thing" would be his world class speed. :thumbleft:

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"vikes09" wrote:

He also said that he wouldn't trade moss, right?

Oh, I believe he'd trade Bennet, just not for what anyone will offer.

IMO, Red traded Moss.

Burley81
03-26-2005, 10:16 AM
"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"mattitude615" wrote:

Bennett is made of glass though.

cajunvike
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:

"mattitude615" wrote:

Bennett is made of glass though.

I seem to remember that Robert Smith had that rep early in his career...and look how he turned out...give Bennett a chance to prove that he can or can't handle the load...if he fails, Onterrio or Mewelde will be there to pick up the slack. The fact is that we probably won't get anything in the way of trades that would adequately compensate us, so we will have all three next season...after that, who knows? We will probably lose Bennett in FA next year, but that is the way it goes...maybe he will be motivated to have a breakout season with FA looming next year!

michaelmazid
03-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Is he out of his skull. Let M. Moore start. He is awesome.

KY Vike
03-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Trade bennett. he won't get the starting position because either a drafted RB or Moore will start.

muchluv4smoot
03-26-2005, 11:08 AM
"vikes09" wrote:

It's unlikely he will trade any of them now, do to their low value. But, if he waits until into training camp, for a team that isn't deep at RB, to have an injury, then we can get much much better value in a trade. If tice wasn't so damn stupid last offseason, we could have gotten a great deal for bennett, from miami.

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 11:09 AM
"KY Vike" wrote:

Trade bennett. he won't get the starting position because either a drafted RB or Moore will start.

Trade him for what? If he's not good like you say, what will we get for our former first rounder? :roll:

ADubya26
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Trade Bennett, let O and MM duke it out to see who starts.

I have a hunch we are going to draft a RB though.

Ltrey33
03-26-2005, 11:18 AM
I was always a big fan of Bennett, cuz I think he's a very explosive runner. However, it just doesnt seem like the Vikes win many games where he plays a great deal, and Onterrio had a great year last year. Mewelde had some good games, but he hasnt had enough time to really be put into a starting position. My choice would be Onterrio because I think he's gives the most balance between power and speed. But, I think Bennett could have a 1500 yard year if he stays injury free and can put in an entire offseason of work getting better with no setbacks. But then again, thats the beauty of having 3 very good running backs isn't it? If he does get hurt again, we always have another guy to fall back on.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Go with Onterrio, use Mewelde as a backup, Moe in short-yardage. And if we don't deal Bennett, how cool would it be to see him returning kicks. Works great in Madden anyway.

VikesRGreat
03-28-2005, 03:53 AM
trade bennet or Smith and draft Marion Barber or J.J. Arrington.

hellzbellz
03-28-2005, 03:57 AM
I believe Onterrio Smith should be our main back, Hes way good. If only he can stay off the weed

JLDII
03-28-2005, 04:02 AM
I'd like to see us keep Bennett and line him up in the slot from time to time. If we don't get the WR we want in the draft, we will probably be running more of a short passing offense. If so, Bennett would be great to have. I'd love to see him getting the ball in the open field more often. Little dink and dunk passes out on the flats. Just like when Sir Francis was drawing the plays in the mud. In an open field, he is almost impossible to catch and tackle!

IdahoViking
03-28-2005, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if they traded up in this years draft, giving up one or two of our RB's for the 3rd or 4th pick. If not I think Tice's idea of a battle is a great idea. What could motivate a player more than knowing that there are TWO other guys battling for the job!

I see this as a win/win situation!

mark
03-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Cajun siad it best,they said the same thing about r. smith. I said it before bennetts the best back we have with smith a very close second.Hes just a different kind of back. Keep MM as a kick returner and insur. he couldnt start a whole year anyway.he played 3 games and srained his ankle and is still in the training room

fourdoorchevelle
03-28-2005, 05:27 AM
robert smith was a great back , but that has nothing to do with bennett . untill he's able to be productive and stop running scared , i say trade him for scottie grahm.

Paulbedy59
03-28-2005, 05:33 AM
oh somebody remembers old scottie lol.

thetrenches68OL
03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
I think moore could be a good started ontario is a pot head but he is good and i have never really like bennet much he never does anything spectacular besides get injured i say give moore a chance :wav:

2fat4uVike
03-28-2005, 06:17 AM
"thetrenches68OL" wrote:

I think moore could be a good started ontario is a pot head but he is good and i have never really like bennet much he never does anything spectacular besides get injured i say give moore a chance :wav:

comma's and punctuation are your friend :lol:

O Smith can be our franchise RB, I'm sick of hearing all the straightlaced/church going/born again idiots saying "get rid of his butt", I'd bet 45% of us on this forum toke on a regular basis, get off the high horse. I love Bennett's speed, use him on the screen and option roll out, O Smith is our up the gut off tackle RB. Mewelde Moore should be our spell the top 2 guys, and he can do it. We all know that nobody typically goes a whole season without injury, so I loved the fact that we have a full stable of studs. And then we have Moe, we need 1 yard we get 2, we need 3 yards we get 4... Moe still gets the job done, I love our stable, I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is no need to trade our RB's for draft picks, or to draft a RB this year.
Yes, I want Mike Williams at no cost, trade up both first rounds picks to get MW, because he will NOT be there when it's our 7th.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-28-2005, 09:07 AM
"ADubya26" wrote:

Trade Bennett, let O and MM duke it out to see who starts.

I have a hunch we are going to draft a RB though.

how about trade bennett and Onterrio...and draft a running back to duke it out with me mo.

thunderbell
03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
2fat4uvike...o smith is a pothead..has always been going back to tennesse/oregon days..i am not one of your made up # of 45%..you pot heads always think more people are doing it than there really is...

BOTTOM LINE:o smith does not have a commitment to his team..one more bad drug test or drug arrest..1 year suspension..YOU CANT RELY ON SOMEONE WHO CANT TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!!

do you remember his flu like symptoms that caused him to miss a game ??? he showed up late and hung over to film session..you cant trust smith.

bennett has proven when healthy tht he is a true feature back..he will get another chance to prove his worth to team..not going to make up some # for yardage this year but with jimmy k and rosie back on line should be much better year for running game

Vikingryche
03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
All right all heres the scoop. The Vikes without Moss this year are gonna see 8 men in the box alot this year. Onterrio is by far our best between the tackles runner, thats what were gonna need.There are 2 sides to every coin, yes it would be good to have the big 3 backs on team for the depth, but on the flipside it can also be a cancer on a team, tryin to feed the egoes of Bennett and Onterrio in particular. I say deal Bennett, give Onterrio his chance, i think hes earned it. We are gonna see defenses we have never seen since teams have been preparing for Moss. Go Vikes!!!!! See Ya :cool:

ultravikingfan
03-28-2005, 11:34 PM
"Vikingryche" wrote:

All right all heres the scoop. The Vikes without Moss this year are gonna see 8 men in the box alot this year. Onterrio is by far our best between the tackles runner, thats what were gonna need.There are 2 sides to every coin, yes it would be good to have the big 3 backs on team for the depth, but on the flipside it can also be a cancer on a team, tryin to feed the egoes of Bennett and Onterrio in particular. I say deal Bennett, give Onterrio his chance, i think hes earned it. We are gonna see defenses we have never seen since teams have been preparing for Moss. Go Vikes!!!!! See Ya :cool:

8 men is the box = good passing game! I am fine with that! Teams put 8 in the box against the Ravens and Lewis still does pretty good. :wink:

Articnv
03-29-2005, 01:28 AM
I woudl liek to see us have 2 te sets and Moore in the i formation to stretch the 8 in a box a bit. Will make the defnse confused as are we goign to pass down field or backdiled pass hand off or draw play involing Jimmy K or Wiggins or even MM. That way we can have the stiff the ball down your throat runnign game tice wants and still have the passing game.

vikes09
03-29-2005, 02:03 AM
i like the way you think articnv! :cool:

napman58
03-29-2005, 02:06 AM
me 2!

nareg
03-29-2005, 04:21 AM
i say we try to trade bennett,either on draft day or after the draft and let o.smith get the job. he was sik last year but he was also suspened

vikes09
03-29-2005, 04:22 AM
yeah, one more time and hes outta here.

TheFloridianVikingFan
03-29-2005, 04:30 AM
onterio should be the starter but then we will have mewelde backing him up just in case if he "slipps" and we should trade bennet and draft another rookie in like the 6th round or something to give us a little depth just in case Onterrio gets suspendid and mewelde gets hurt...

vikes09
03-29-2005, 11:30 PM
id rather have bennet if thats what your suggesting, because your degrading our running backs for not much more.

Burley81
03-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Trade Bennett.

Keep using Moe in goal line/short yardage situations.

Let MM and O. Smith go at it for the starter job.

Anahiem_Vikings
03-30-2005, 02:37 AM
We need good blocking linemen then any RB will look good. Keep upgrading the line!!

fourdoorchevelle
03-30-2005, 05:36 AM
"Anahiem_Vikings" wrote:

We need good blocking linemen then any RB will look good. Keep upgrading the line!!true blocking teams are able to turn average rb's into superstars .look at denver , also all of the backs we have besides bennett look good ,( when we would actually run the ball!!!)