PDA

View Full Version : ontario smith

lilvikes33
03-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I feel Ontario Smith is a quality running back dispite his drug offenses. Im sick and tired of all the weed jokes about the man. I mean yea its annoying for us fans when our players get into trouble but i mean, i bet we would be suprised by the number of players that do drugs but just dont get caught. I mean i understand the frustration but i mean im not ready to give up on him just yet.

PurpleRide
03-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't think any of the 3 backs are the right fit for this team. They all whine about playing time. MM OS and MB.

midgensa
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Noone is ready to give up on him, and we all cut him slack ONCE, the problem is that it appears less than a year later he may be looking at a HUGE suspension and after that could get in serious trouble if caught again.
I love Onterrio on the field and think he could be a quality back, but he needs to get his act together.
Sure plenty of other players do the same things, but there is one key element THEY DON'T GET CAUGHT. He needs to stop or be more careful, that simple.
If we put all of our money on him and he gets suspended for lenghty periods then it does not matter how good he is.

midgensa
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
By the way, don't forget that Onterrio had plenty of time last year and did not produce ONE 100-yard rushing game. The only player on the team that had 100-yard rushing performances was Mewlede with 109 one week and 138 another. That is something we need to improve on.

lilvikes33
03-25-2005, 07:28 PM
yea good points...even tho he didnt have 100 yard rushing games i belive he had i good amount of recieving yards..i think one game he had a 60 yard td reception....i know i know mewelde gets alot...more total yards but i still think mm needs another year..than he should be ready

TheFloridianVikingFan
03-25-2005, 07:37 PM
keep Mewelde and smith, sorry bennet but ur too injury proned......

jackyl
03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
O is a great back, but this weed issue has followed him since TN.

SKOL
03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I don't think any of the 3 backs are the right fit for this team. They all whine about playing time. MM OS and MB.

Dan Barreiro (A T.C. sports radio personality) commented on the 4 "quality backs" of the Vikings (including Moe)... he said if you think you have 4 "quality backs" in reality you have NONE. There are 3 genuine quality backs in the draft. It's nice to keep our options open and be open to trading any of our backs to improve our situation.

ndakvikefan
03-25-2005, 08:03 PM
The lack of 100 yard games had nothing to do with the running backs. INJURY and DEFENSE was the reason. Birk, Withrow, Lewinski, Rosenthal, Mckinnie, Dixon, Goldberg, Haayer, Dorsey. That is 9 different starters on the O-Line last year. All three running backs missed time due to injury last year. Not to mention the loss of the best blocking TE in the NFL missed the entire season.
The defense gave up points so fast the offense had to throw the ball a majority of the time and that also attributed to the lack of 100 yard games.
We dont need a RB,last year O Smith, M Bennett, M Moore and M Williams averaged a combined 4.8 yards per carry last year. What is a rookie going to do for us ????

briboy75
03-25-2005, 09:38 PM
"ndakvikefan" wrote:

The lack of 100 yard games had nothing to do with the running backs. INJURY and DEFENSE was the reason. Birk, Withrow, Lewinski, Rosenthal, Mckinnie, Dixon, Goldberg, Haayer, Dorsey. That is 9 different starters on the O-Line last year. All three running backs missed time due to injury last year. Not to mention the loss of the best blocking TE in the NFL missed the entire season.
The defense gave up points so fast the offense had to throw the ball a majority of the time and that also attributed to the lack of 100 yard games.
We dont need a RB,last year O Smith, M Bennett, M Moore and M Williams averaged a combined 4.8 yards per carry last year. What is a rookie going to do for us ????

Mewelde was able to get 100 yerds with the injurys and defense....he was a rookie.

mark
03-25-2005, 10:29 PM
"lilvikes33" wrote:

I feel Ontario Smith is a quality running back dispite his drug offenses. Im sick and tired of all the weed jokes about the man. I mean yea its annoying for us fans when our players get into trouble but i mean, i bet we would be suprised by the number of players that do drugs but just dont get caught. I mean i understand the frustration but i mean im not ready to give up on him just yet.

I understand what your saying about the jokes. Im a bennett fan and im sick of everyboby saying stuff about him getting hurt.People make mistakes and people get hurt that dosnt mean thats how its going to be forever. Im a little sensitive because I was in the major leagues in 2000 then a drug addiction and 4 arm surgeries later im still trying to get back i know I can still play and know im not getting high anymore but its really frustrating to keep getting hurt so we have to give people chances to show there talent and stick with them through hard times.As long as they dont mess up too bad. I hope i didnt say to much but its been on my chest for a while. :shock:

govikes84
03-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I think we need to get rid of them all and find a quality running back or try one out for a while and give him 25 carries a game and then see how he does.

olson_10
03-25-2005, 10:41 PM
moe has never complained once about his role on the team, and hes the best all around back of the 4, start him

Phlegm
03-25-2005, 10:49 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I agree Moe is good, but he is getting old and has a lot less upside than the other three backs. Let's use our head a little bit Olson. He doesn't have the HR capability of Bennett or the elusiveness of MM or Onterio. He's a perfect thrid down, change of pace back. He can start when we need him to, but this late in his career it would be rediculous to start him over the three younger, more talented backs.

worshipabba2003
03-25-2005, 10:53 PM
start danta at rb and draft a qb at 7 are move up duh

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Phlegm here. Moe is perfect where he is at. We need his energy for our tough yards.

Mark, I hear what you are saying about Bennett. But, when we have such a pool of talent in RB's, we should not just hold onto them if we can get something in return. Bennett is the focal point for this because he is injury prone. I harbor no ill will towards him, I was always a believer in Robert Smith and am glad the Vikes gave Carter (the best) a 2nd chance after his stint with drugs.

Besides, I am a Mewelde Moore kinda guy. :wink:

Burley81
03-25-2005, 11:03 PM
MM is a beast, I wish he was our starter.

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 11:04 PM
"worshipabba2003" wrote:

start danta at rb and draft a qb at 7 are move up duh

Now that's how you earned your title (Pud Pounder) :lol:

Phlegm
03-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I would love to see Mewelde Moore be our starter with Williams remaining our 3rd down back. I say we trade Bennett for a decent draft pick and Onterio would then be the change of pace back. If we can't get a decent pick for Bennett, then suit him up for the battle of starting RB.

worshipabba2003
03-25-2005, 11:12 PM
darn i was trying to figure out how that happened.

ItalianStallion
03-25-2005, 11:45 PM
MM has the best yards per touch, but he hasn't proven to be durable yet. Onterrio is a faster MM who doesn't catch as well and Bennett is faster still but is worse in almost every other way than Onterrio and MM.

Let them win it in training camp.

dbalke10
03-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Mark, drugged my way thru college ball, and understand that feeling of invincibility and being able to do things screwed up that others can't do completely sober. Things caught up with me too, and everybody deserves multiple chances. But it usually doesn't work that way. I hope that you are able to take a "it is what it is" attitude when it is all said and done, since you made it. Even a cup of coffee is better that 99% achieve. But I know how that crap can eat at you. Good Luck.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-26-2005, 11:36 AM
"Phlegm" wrote:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I agree Moe is good, but he is getting old and has a lot less upside than the other three backs. Let's use our head a little bit Olson. He doesn't have the HR capability of Bennett or the elusiveness of MM or Onterio. He's a perfect thrid down, change of pace back. He can start when we need him to, but this late in his career it would be rediculous to start him over the three younger, more talented backs.

Moe's old, but he's not football old. Excepting the first five games of '03, he's never been a starter. You really can't compare the wear and tear on his body to, say, an Eddie George. I agree he's probably more valuable in short yardage, but he could start and do very well if we needed him to.

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 12:46 PM
"worshipabba2003" wrote:

start danta at rb and draft a qb at 7 are move up duhWTF

tnasty
03-26-2005, 01:36 PM
1. Moe is a short yardage back he runs through the hole with his head down and is slow and doesnt juke, we need him though does the dirty work, he's a genuine football player.
2.Bennett fast as hell, outruns blockers, cannott break arm tackles.
3.smith-hard runner, good speed, doesnt cut back well and wears down at the end of games.
4. moore-patient runner reads blocks well and an excellent reciever.

I think we need to add sproles in the mix if we dont get a dominant runner and dump either bennett or smith. Get an extra pick for one of them and get o-line depth. Sproles is 5'7 185 i believe, there was a back out of oklahoma state in 88 that was that size he turned out to be all right. :shock:

DefensivePlaymaker
03-26-2005, 02:06 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

i think me mo could be a good back for us IF he can stay pretty healthy over the course of a full season....then we could trade onterrio and bennett for picks.

smootloot
03-28-2005, 05:58 PM
we have to trade a rb. Which rb can get us the most value. we could use draft picks and defense

JimFlyinsaucer
03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
"smootloot" wrote:

we have to trade a rb. Which rb can get us the most value. we could use draft picks and defenseI don't know. The one that's probably going to get the most value is probably the best. Do we trade that guy?

hellzbellz
03-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Onterrio is the man, ive been saying he should be the starter forever