PDA

View Full Version : Character Issues

sabatajh
03-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Im so tired of reading info, scouting reports and post. In which they say a player has character issues. This term has gotten way out of hand. We all are well aware of the issues surrounding Moss, which eventually led to his trade, I dont disagree his attitutude was cancer.

But now it seems like every time you mention a player some one says he has "character issues" Dont we all.

I mean dont get me wrong im not sayin lets draft/sign 20 randy moss's but i think you need a few nasty players on your team.

For example

We all like fred smoot he is a great player. If you listen to him talk for more than 20 sec you will quickly realize he is very arrogant... We however call it confidence people who dont like him call it a character issue.

My point is when a player gets labled with "charcter issues" it usually by someone who dont perticularly like the player. I mean if you ask a vikes fan about randy we say he wasnt that bad you ask any other fan and they'll make it seem like he rode a sepertate bus to the game and had his own locker room

dbalke10
03-25-2005, 03:10 PM
It seems to me that the opposite ends of the spectrum would be the Patriots and the Raiders. And both have proven that you can win with their particular mindset. Today the media has more access than your mother to your life, and virtually all of the players are going to be called on the carpet for something said or done. A little "confidence" is fine, its just that you have to know when it has to be about team first. Moss may have been one of the best teammates ever, but you never heard him back away from any of his misstatements or problems off the field. The players understand that the media will twist things, you just have to be able to apologize and move on... Randy never moved on, so the Vikings were finally forced to move him on themselves.

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Good post sabatajh.

I think it is all a matter of opinion. Screw the media, like they are all perfect! (Michael Irvin :roll: )

sabatajh
03-25-2005, 03:23 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good post sabatajh.

I think it is all a matter of opinion. Screw the media, like they are all perfect! (Michael Irvin :roll: )

I agree i mean hey Irvin might have got caught in a motel with a hooker and cocaine on super bowl weekend but at least he played the whole game and didnt moon anyone :rr:

muchluv4smoot
03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
"sabatajh" wrote:

Im so tired of reading info, scouting reports and post. In which they say a player has character issues. This term has gotten way out of hand. We all are well aware of the issues surrounding Moss, which eventually led to his trade, I dont disagree his attitutude was cancer.

But now it seems like every time you mention a player some one says he has "character issues" Dont we all.

I mean dont get me wrong im not sayin lets draft/sign 20 randy moss's but i think you need a few nasty players on your team.

For example

We all like fred smoot he is a great player. If you listen to him talk for more than 20 sec you will quickly realize he is very arrogant... We however call it confidence people who dont like him call it a character issue.

My point is when a player gets labled with "charcter issues" it usually by someone who dont perticularly like the player. I mean if you ask a vikes fan about randy we say he wasnt that bad you ask any other fan and they'll make it seem like he rode a sepertate bus to the game and had his own locker room

For the record, moss is my favorite player, but he did have character issues, no doubt.

But I do agree that it gets blown out of proportion for a lot of players, like smoot.

midgensa
03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good post sabatajh.

Hey now, I am in the media and I AM perfect!!!! Lol, some are quick to jump on players and feast, but remember if nothing is there to jump on the character never becomes and issue.

collegeguyjeff
03-25-2005, 04:44 PM
"dbalke10" wrote:

It seems to me that the opposite ends of the spectrum would be the Patriots and the Raiders. And both have proven that you can win with their particular mindset. Today the media has more access than your mother to your life, and virtually all of the players are going to be called on the carpet for something said or done. A little "confidence" is fine, its just that you have to know when it has to be about team first. Moss may have been one of the best teammates ever, but you never heard him back away from any of his misstatements or problems off the field. The players understand that the media will twist things, you just have to be able to apologize and move on... Randy never moved on, so the Vikings were finally forced to move him on themselves.

raiders proved they can win what exactly???????????????????

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 04:49 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good post sabatajh.

Hey now, I am in the media and I AM perfect!!!! Lol, some are quick to jump on players and feast, but remember if nothing is there to jump on the character never becomes and issue.

Ok, everyone but you! :wink:

LosAngelis
03-25-2005, 05:11 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good post sabatajh.

Hey, I'm in the media too! I'm KFANReporter!

(just kidding...)

worshipabba2003
03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
KFANReporter ban him ban him!!!!! lol who is your insider?

sitandbehitski
03-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I should hope your just kidding! :)

kramer9guy
03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Being cocky and having character issues are two very seperate things in my book.

A player like Smoot may be "cocky" but does he have a history of violence, drug abuse, arrests or suspensions for any? Not that I know of. And on top of that, the guy can back it up.

Real character issues effect those around you, not just yourself. Moss has character issues (college through the pros). Onterrio Smith has character issues (college through the pros). Ricky Williams has character issues (in the pros). Lawrence Phillips had character issues (college through the pros, through NFL Europe and problems again in the NFL)...etc... etc...and sometimes there is a hybrid of cockiness and character problems that I just cannot stand (Kelly Campbell).

Some of these types can turn themselves around (Cris Carter) for the betterment of themselves and others around them but it doesn't happen that way very often. Moss slipped in the draft for a reason. And I for one would be very cautious before drafting anyone that is labeled as having "character issues". The majority of teams pass on these types for good reason.

Just my opinion...

kramer9guy
03-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Heck, Denny Green ignored all of the red flags when he drafted Dimitrius Underwood and we all know what that pick got us...squat.

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 05:56 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Heck, Denny Green ignored all of the red flags when he drafted Dimitrius Underwood and we all know what that pick got us...squat.

He also ignored the red flags with Moss too.

kramer9guy
03-25-2005, 06:00 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

Yes he did. But where is Moss today and how many championships did he help us win?

sabatajh
03-25-2005, 06:02 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Im not sayin that it is irrelevant if a player has "charcter issues". I am sayin that the term has been taken way out of context...

My point is this earlier you said drugs, past arrest, stuff like are red flags on a player character i agree....

My point is to say a player has character issues is a hillarious term because every single person has issues within there character.

This is my point

Every situation is different and based on interpratation. how can you speak of a persons chachter flaw when your only interaction with that person was through a TV or some one elese opinion. obviously some things speak for them selves and there are "head cases" in pro sports im just sayin im tired of seeing it because you can realisticly find a negative in everything if you look hard enough....

sabatajh
03-25-2005, 06:04 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

Yes he did. But where is Moss today and how many championships did he help us win?

KEVIN GARNETT has great character and is the example of how a pro athlete should be how many championships does he have

kramer9guy
03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
"sabatajh" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

KEVIN GARNETT has great character and is the example of how a pro athlete should be how many championships does he have

Very true...but my main point is that Moss is a very gifted athlete who in the end seemed to bring more negatives than positives to the team. I don't want to turn this into a debate on Randy Moss (I was as big of a fan as anyone while he was a Viking) but after all, he is not on our team any longer. I'm just saying that these project type guys with character issues seem to be more of a risk than they are worth. I wish we could have a team that just shined on the field and didn't have so many dang off-field problems (including the coach). Maybe one day... :smile:

ItalianStallion
03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
It seems you cannot be honest with anyone anymore, whether it be the media, coaches etc.

Saying you want the ball is not a bad thing
Saying you disappointed that your team is losing is not a bad thing
etc.

It only becomes a problem when you become a distraction, yet it seems that the media does most of the distracting by talking about comments for weeks on end, even when they cease to be relevant.

PurplePackerEater
03-26-2005, 11:03 PM
You are so correct about the media. When Randy walked off the feild against Washington, they were just praying that he'd do SOMETHING pollitically incorrect! Unfortunatly, Moss didn't dissappoint them.

sabatajh
03-31-2005, 08:07 PM
i look at it like this if you take a guy that is considered a team leader if he walks off the field at the end of the game they'll say oh he was disgusted with there effort and put it off as how hes tryin to spark a fire..... randy does it and its a negative thing....dont get me wrong im not sayin him walking off the field was alright but i understand why he was disgusted we lost to a team we shouldnt have lost to and we played like we didnt want to be there i would've left to