PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Minnesota

PurplePharaoh
03-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Changes in Minnesota

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- It hasn't been the best of months for Mike Tice personally, but the Vikings head coach can't really quibble with what his football team has accomplished in the past four weeks or so.

Randy Moss and all his negative karma is gone, and Minnesota's roster has been infused with a bevy of veteran talent and leadership. The Vikings needed a defensive tackle to help stuff the run, so they went out signed Pat Williams. They needed an upgrade at linebacker, and came away with both Napoleon Harris and Sam Cowart. They needed more playmakers in the secondary, and wound up with both cornerback Fred Smoot and safety Darren Sharper.
The additions were fewer on offense, but Minnesota's void at backup quarterback was filled by a former Super Bowl winner in Brad Johnson, and still-young receiver Travis Taylor will try to take up some of the load that Moss once carried. All in all, Minnesota might just deserve the tag of the offseason's most improved team.

"We had some things fall our way," admitted Tice at Wednesday morning's NFC coaches media breakfast at the NFL's annual meeting. "The Fred Smoot thing fell our way. We had kind of moved in a different direction, and were working at making moves at linebacker and the safety thing. But we had a great plan, and what was important to us was (owner Red) McCombs gave us the ability to exercise the plan and work the plan.

"We brought in some guys who we had earmarked, and we had some guys who wanted to come to play for us. But did I think we'd be able to hit so many of our spots? No. No way."

On paper at least, the Vikings defense looks stronger than it has been at any point since defensive coordinator Tony Dungy led the unit to a No. 1 overall league ranking in 1992.

"Potentially, yes, because we have so many young stallions," said Tice, when asked if Minnesota defense had a chance to be better than at any point in his coaching tenure. "And now we have some guys who can teach them how to be pros. That's the key. We've got plenty of young stallions, I promise you. Look at our roster. But we needed some veterans to show them how to be good pros. We've got some of those guys now."

Check out the rest of the artical here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-changesinminne&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

dopenose420
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
i really REALLY wanted dungy to come back to minnesota.

TripB77
03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Good article, sums up our off season nicely.

"the offseason's most improved team. " Without a doubt.

midgensa
03-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Good article that gets to the point and talks about all the good things that happened this offseason.
All the people that are casual fans keep asking me "What are you guys gonna do without Moss." People only see the big name damn move and don't see that we are ten times f'ing better, ugh it frustrates me.
We will be so good next year that I should be able to shut everyone up that does not understand we are better even though we lost Moss.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-24-2005, 11:03 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

Good article that gets to the point and talks about all the good things that happened this offseason.
All the people that are casual fans keep asking me "What are you guys gonna do without Moss." People only see the big name gol 'darnit move and don't see that we are ten times f'ing better, ugh it frustrates me.
We will be so good next year that I should be able to shut everyone up that does not understand we are better even though we lost Moss.

I agree. I hate casual fans who only know the big names. :pukeright:

worshipabba2003
03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
who is this randy moss guy everyone keeps talking about? j/k not much happing on this site right now

cajunvike
03-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Who is that T-HO guy that is hitting all of Philly's g@y bars in his black tights?

ultravikingfan
03-24-2005, 11:24 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Who is that T-HO guy that is hitting all of Philly's g@y bars in his black tights?

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/laughing/011.gif

worshipabba2003
03-24-2005, 11:26 PM
i dont no i didn't sign him to the team. he came againts my will but he is a lot better then everyone else here so i will let him stay(not that i have a say)i havent heard the news about him hitting the gay bars. him and big andy will have fun in there tight this year though!

ultravikingfan
03-24-2005, 11:29 PM
"worshipabba2003" wrote:

i dont no i didn't sign him to the team. he came againts my will but he is a lot better then everyone else here so i will let him stay(not that i have a say)i havent heard the news about him hitting the *** bars. him and big andy will have fun in there tight this year though!

Maybe those 2 are just keeping it private! :lol:

worshipabba2003
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
might be i guess if the keep it at home and of the sidelines i dont care lol. but if TO starts mooning ppl then i will rilly start to wonder

collegeguyjeff
03-25-2005, 01:02 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

All the people that are casual fans keep asking me "What are you guys gonna do without Moss." People only see the big name gol 'darnit move and don't see that we are ten times f'ing better, ugh it frustrates me.

moss was just one player, he dropped and didn't even attempt to catch a lot of passes. and he had a big mouth im glad he is gone now our receivers can split passes more and not throw all the passes to one player.

bleedn_purple
03-25-2005, 05:37 AM
"worshipabba2003" wrote:

might be i guess if the keep it at home and of the sidelines i dont care lol. but if TO starts mooning ppl then i will rilly start to wonder

LOL see this is good stuff! A non-Vikings fan who has a sense of humor. One that doesn't take offense to a little ribbing. Worship' can take it as well as dish it out. It's obvious that you are not a G.B. fan... Worshipabba2003? your O.K. in my book brother!!! :thumbleft: :salute:

Vikes
03-25-2005, 09:54 AM
"PurplePharaoh" wrote:

Changes in Minnesota

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- It hasn't been the best of months for Mike Tice personally, but the Vikings head coach can't really quibble with what his football team has accomplished in the past four weeks or so.

Randy Moss and all his negative karma is gone, and Minnesota's roster has been infused with a bevy of veteran talent and leadership. The Vikings needed a defensive tackle to help stuff the run, so they went out signed Pat Williams. They needed an upgrade at linebacker, and came away with both Napoleon Harris and Sam Cowart. They needed more playmakers in the secondary, and wound up with both cornerback Fred Smoot and safety Darren Sharper.
The additions were fewer on offense, but Minnesota's void at backup quarterback was filled by a former Super Bowl winner in Brad Johnson, and still-young receiver Travis Taylor will try to take up some of the load that Moss once carried. All in all, Minnesota might just deserve the tag of the offseason's most improved team.

"We had some things fall our way," admitted Tice at Wednesday morning's NFC coaches media breakfast at the NFL's annual meeting. "The Fred Smoot thing fell our way. We had kind of moved in a different direction, and were working at making moves at linebacker and the safety thing. But we had a great plan, and what was important to us was (owner Red) McCombs gave us the ability to exercise the plan and work the plan.

"We brought in some guys who we had earmarked, and we had some guys who wanted to come to play for us. But did I think we'd be able to hit so many of our spots? No. No way."

On paper at least, the Vikings defense looks stronger than it has been at any point since defensive coordinator Tony Dungy led the unit to a No. 1 overall league ranking in 1992.

"Potentially, yes, because we have so many young stallions," said Tice, when asked if Minnesota defense had a chance to be better than at any point in his coaching tenure. "And now we have some guys who can teach them how to be pros. That's the key. We've got plenty of young stallions, I promise you. Look at our roster. But we needed some veterans to show them how to be good pros. We've got some of those guys now."

Check out the rest of the artical here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-changesinminne&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

On paper we look great. But Tice is now the biggest problem. He has enough time to get seasoned. I think RED is not selling the team.

Paulbedy59
03-25-2005, 11:37 AM
here is an excellent read.. link http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN381305

Paulbedy59
03-25-2005, 11:40 AM
link in my post wont load,click nfl and read the story on 5 teams rising and 5 falling... :salute:

Bubba Jed
03-25-2005, 12:25 PM
#1 in the offseason huh???????? That's totally cool.

DEEP PURPLE
03-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Thats what I like to see. Purple and Gold in the offseason Winners column and the Cheese in the Losers!!!!

ultravikingfan
03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:

Thats what I like to see. Purple and Gold in the offseason Winners column and the Cheese in the Losers!!!!

Even better, Purple and Gold in the regular season Winners column and the Cheese in the Losers!!!!

Paulbedy59
03-28-2005, 06:35 AM
It just doesn,t get any better!! :occasion5:

vikes09
03-29-2005, 05:06 AM
i betcha w/ a superbowl can it will get better. then well have all the bandwagoners!!!! muwahaha :twisted: