PDA

View Full Version : They say the players all like Tice.Is this good?

Paulbedy59
03-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Yep,they say he is a players coach,well liked ,popular,and all that.But the more I think about it all the really winning coaches are hated by the players.At least until they win one or two championships...Even Scotty Bowman of my beloved Red Wings was hated and hell he was the best ever!! Your thoughts?

vikes09
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
i think its good to a point. it think tice needs to be a tad bit harder, but that relationship is good.

Paulbedy59
03-22-2005, 11:22 PM
perhaps,but you look at Walsh,Parcells,Bellicheck,Ditka(not great but a first class prick) Shula, most of them were not liked until the rings started coming... :salute: and not just football.

finnishvikingsfan
03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
That is tough. Is Bellick(it is probably spelled wrong) hated? I think he is a pretty good coach. I dont know really it stumps me.

vikes09
03-22-2005, 11:26 PM
i know but football has changed alot. do old football ways still work today??? i think jon gibbs is proof the game has dramatically changed. just my opinion

Articnv
03-22-2005, 11:29 PM
i think you need to be a players coach to a point. the odl ways worked because there was much much more respect. Today you dont have the same respect you do back then. The game has improved alot and atheletes are more worried about the money.

vikes09
03-22-2005, 11:36 PM
a great way to put it articnv

ultravikingfan
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I think that he is well respected. He paid his dues as a player, even though he may have not been the best. He goes through a lot of workouts with his guys. But, he jokes with them too. They know he is human.

I think he needs to come in and really put his foot down this year. No BS! This is his year that will determine his future in the NFL!

Paulbedy59
03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
I agree he needs to put his foot down and get tougher,Im not saying be a total jerk but let them know its what he wnts and nothing else.Perhaps that will be a bonus of trading randy that won,t show up till later.. :salute:

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Trading Randy was putting his footdown, showing there is no room for bullshit on his roster, no matter what your name is.

JLDII
03-23-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't think it is a bad thing for his players to like him, as long as they also fear him. He can't get caught up in the idea of being liked by his players, thats not what a head coach should worry about. If he just does his job the way they would expect him to, they will be willing to die fighting for him.

Skyliner
03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Its nice to be a well liked coach when FA comes around. I think he has show that. Plus he's a big guy. when he's mad, players do fear him.

ultravikingfan
03-23-2005, 07:23 AM
"Skyliner" wrote:

Its nice to be a well liked coach when FA comes around. I think he has show that. Plus he's a big guy. when he's mad, players do fear him.

I don't think his size intimidates a lot of the players. But, he is huge at 6'8", and that pencil!

But, he would kick the crap outta any other coach!

ElBarto
03-23-2005, 07:56 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Skyliner" wrote:

I don't think his size intimidates a lot of the players. But, he is huge at 6'8", and that pencil!

It's very funny when you see him berating someone the size of Kelly Campbell :lol:

Angryviking
03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
"ElBarto" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Skyliner" wrote:

It's very funny when you see him berating someone the size of Kelly Campbell :lol:

Yah Campbells all, " oh @#$@ where is my @#$@ hole, i'd stand a better chance out on the field" But i think that the players liking Tice is a good thing so long has he doesn't let any personal reason stand between him and the team's success.

HarrisonB57
03-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I think he can be intimidating. he's 6'8" and if you have ever heard him angry, it is bad. When I went to his camp, we were waitng in line for Lance Johnstone's autograph when it got a little out of hand. He started yelling and the whole room went silent. I think it can be that way sometimes at halftime if things aren't doing to well.

loudog
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Yep,they say he is a players coach,well liked ,popular,and all that.But the more I think about it all the really winning coaches are hated by the players.At least until they win one or two championships...Even Scotty Bowman of my beloved Red Wings was hated and hell he was the best ever!! Your thoughts?

I really hated Bowman cause he taught how to cheat with cheap shots, and that kind of crap. Plus I live close to Denver, and I'm an Avs fan. Bowman was a great coach in terms of knowing how to teach, motivate, and win. I was glad to see him stop coaching. Last I heard, he was scouting or something. Tice is definitely the "anti-Bowman." Probably not a good quality for a coach, unless Tice can prove that he can win consistently throughout a whole season.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
You know, Tom Coughlin is not well-liked by his players, and although he has won nothing, he is spectacularly overrated by the media.

ElBarto
03-23-2005, 12:27 PM
It's weird, when watching the ESPN "experts" Tice's closeness to the players only seems to be a problem when we lose games.

They never seem to bring it up when we win.

vikes09
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
nice point el barto. i think alot of the old ways are out-dated, and old coaches are living proof of that. i think that the idea of a football player has changed drastically, and i think many players dont respond the same way a player did long ago.

Paulbedy59
03-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Your all making good points.But let me interject here we are not talking really about long ago! Parcells and bellichec(damn how do you spell that guys last name) are still coaching... :salute:

vikes09
03-23-2005, 06:46 PM
i wouldnt consider billichecks coaching strategy to be old school. parcells isnt looking too hot right now though.

Paulbedy59
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
LOL boy even da*# gets censored in here!! gol darn it.

collegeguyjeff
03-23-2005, 07:11 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

scottie bowman is not the best ever thats a joke. jaque lemaire is better than scotty bowman, bowman didn't build teams from nothing and win the cup like lemire has.

Paulbedy59
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
lets see how many cups does bowman have.hmmm 5 or 6 ,and with 3 teams too.not to deny lemaire his due but lets be real here.. :salute:

DefensivePlaymaker
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

i know but football has changed alot. do old football ways still work today??? i think jon gibbs is proof the game has dramatically changed. just my opinion

that's true. today's football is all about ME ME ME...and MONEY. Most players don't give a $hit about anything but themselves and their money. They're greedy...turning down $24 million dollars for playing 6 years of football, give me a frickin' break!

LosAngelis
03-23-2005, 07:32 PM
I still liken Mike Tice to Ray Rhodes. Supposedly all gruff and disciplinary, but a "player's coach".

Ray Rhodes pulled that facade in Philly, and they ran him out of town. GB hired him, and he lasted a year. Why?

Mike Holmgren, Vince Lombardi, Bud Grant, Don Shula....would you imagine any of these coaches sitting in the locker room playing dominos with the players. Day after day?

Would you imagine Brian Billick, Tom Landry, or Chuck Noll referring to his resident malcontnet as "Yo, dawg.."?

You can't command respect when you're trying to be their buddy. Every coach I mentioned had a clearly defined line between coach and player. Tice crosses it too often, and then the chair-throwing doesn't bring it back. If your buddy throws a chair in a mad fit, do you care? But if your boss does, you stand at attention.

vikes09
03-23-2005, 09:18 PM
i do think there is aline there that if crossed makes a player TOO comfortable.

vikingsdiva
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Okay I used this about three weeks ago on a thread about Randy. Remember when Red said he almost fired Tice to motivate Moss? Well I truly believe coach Tice's hands were tied. Tice pleaded with the NFL to fine the snot out of Campbell, but did nothing publicly to condemn Moss' behavior. I feel Tice's hands were tied as a coach. I love Moss, but he was MCComb's baby because he was a money making player. If Tice would do anything to Moss, who knows if he would've had a job? Plus did he really make a friend of Hovan this year? Face it without Red, Tice will be a better coach. Fearsome even. He just needs the oppurtunity.

sabatajh
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I think there has to be a balance. Tice is a players coach. This term is funny because whats the oppisite. I think tice has a coaching style that mirrors his personality he is a laid back person, i think if he went into a locker room furious and ranting he wouldn't convey the message effectivley because it is out of character. I believe tice is a good coach, his biggest problem in my opinion is game managment which comes with expierence. I look at it like this. I dont care how good , mean, nice, a coach is if your staff ie: coordinators player personell dramatically changes every year it makes it hard to coach effectivley.