PDA

View Full Version : Should Bennett start?



ohioviking
03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
i really dont think bennett should start i know he has not been productive this year due to injury's but i really think we could use O. smith and moe williams more effectivly and even improve moore, moore should be come our star runningback within the next few seasons unless we draft a better ne (i think moore is great personaly and dont need to draft a new one) an moe and smith are ageing and bennetts is cursed by injurys so within the next few years i think we will be seeing moore on the field more ( a good back for 2 down situations) thats what i think will happen :salute:

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree, Bennett is a speed demon good all around but he gets injured all the frickin time. However if that rumor about smith getting the suspension for weed again is true, I think you put Bennett in over Moore b/c he has the experience and then work Moore in to the rotation. I wouldnt want to rely on Moore yet as a starter.

RK.
03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Bennett should start packing. I don't expect him to be playing for us next year. Somewhere along the way he will be traded. I don't have anything against Bennett but I don't think we need him. :)

cajunvike
03-21-2005, 12:56 PM
We should list him as our starter...but put out trade feelers...if the proposed trade for Boldin is legit, then he would be perceived has having more value if he were considered a starter vs. one of the backups.

HarrisonB57
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't really care who starts. As long as we get consistentcy. I think if bennett tried being a speedster instead of a bruiser, like he seemed to do last year, then he would do much better.

sabatajh
03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
"ohioviking" wrote:

i really dont think bennett should start i know he has not been productive this year due to injury's but i really think we could use O. smith and moe williams more effectivly and even improve moore, moore should be come our star runningback within the next few seasons unless we draft a better ne (i think moore is great personaly and dont need to draft a new one) an moe and smith are ageing and bennetts is cursed by injurys so within the next few years i think we will be seeing moore on the field more ( a good back for 2 down situations) thats what i think will happen :salute:

As i agree with you bennet should strart, he*l he shouldnt even be on the roster... i must say i disagree with the comment Smith is aging he is a 3 year guy and in my opinion the one with the most potential.

V4L
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
When Bennett is healthy he is very good.. i dont s ee him getting hurt again though.. He is a robert smith type of guy i see it that way.. list him as the starter but keep an eye open for good trades.. id rather get rid of smith while we can. i bet within the next 2 years he will get his 3rd strike.. think about it Bennett gets hurt he is out for 5 weeks? O smokes up again and is out the whole year

muchluv4smoot
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, bennett should start, but for another team.

MM and onterrio are better all around RB's.

ultravikingfan
03-21-2005, 04:16 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

We should list him as our starter...but put out trade feelers...if the proposed trade for Boldin is legit, then he would be perceived has having more value if he were considered a starter vs. one of the backups.

Good strategy!

RK.
03-21-2005, 04:54 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

We should list him as our starter...but put out trade feelers...if the proposed trade for Boldin is legit, then he would be perceived has having more value if he were considered a starter vs. one of the backups.

Like thats going to fool anybody :lol: Everyone knows he is a good back if he is healthy. We just don't need 4 RB's with Kleinsasser returning.

sitandbehitski
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Onterrio Smith is younger the Bennet.

midgensa
03-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I think as a pure running back Bennett is the best of the bunch, WHEN healthy and WHEN play calls dont call for so much off-tackle. Need to get him some space to work so he can blow by people. Onterrio definitely has talent and youth, but, he is definitely too high to read this post right now also. Moore seemed solid, but you can never tell what a back has just by watching three-five games.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm sick of hoping for the big play out of Bennett and instead getting - 1st down - 1 yard gain: 2nd down- no gain, and then we have to pass.

cc21
03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
i say he starts

TheFloridianVikingFan
03-21-2005, 08:04 PM
i say start Mewelde Moore.. I love the kid...

PurplePackerEater
03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
"WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN" wrote:

I agree, Bennett is a speed demon good all around but he gets injured all the frickin time. However if that rumor about smith getting the suspension for weed again is true, I think you put Bennett in over Moore b/c he has the experience and then work Moore in to the rotation. I wouldnt want to rely on Moore yet as a starter.

Why not? Moore has already been a starter and recieved Rookie Of The Week Honors. :roll:

fourdoorchevelle
03-22-2005, 01:13 AM
i am really sick of bennett , "coach i should start , coach i need more playing time , " but most of all " coach my leg hurts!!" . start him in arizona , or nfl europe . i didn't see sh!t out of him last year! running scared

SHOW-TIME
03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Since hardly anyone else is backing up Bennett I will. Hell let's give him another chance to stay healthy. What if he returns to have a season like he did a couple years ago and made the pro-bowl. Onterrio can go smoke or whatever....and Moore well I think he should get the chance to start also if Bennett sucks that is. And what about Moe?? How serious was his injury againest the packers??

Burley81
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
MM is our best back, start him.

Paulbedy59
04-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Smart money says that when the season opens,Bennet will be somewhere else.I like MM if he can stay healthy,Onterio smith ,until he proves he can stay available should be the backup..

mark
04-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Bennett is our best back and IF he stays healthy which he will then he will have about 1350-1450 and 6 touches gaurenteed

V4L
04-05-2005, 11:29 PM
MM cant block worth shit.. the only thing that keeps bennett from starting is his injurys... we didnt give up on Robert Smith why give up on MB? I think he will stay healthy..the last 2 years were kinda getting tougher i guess.. hell if everyone thinks ppl should get traded because they get injured then the Lions should trade Charlie Rogers then eh? I

NordicNed
04-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I still think Bennett is our most talented back, but his prones to injury always leaves us wondering.

I also sure the coaches wonder alot more and worry alot more than we do......

If we could end up on the plus side of a trade, I say go for it..

But at the same time, I almost feel like saying, lets give him one more shot this year, we still have MW,OS,MM to back him up......

Lets not forget, our O-line needs to stay healty, before we can really judge all our backs....

Skyliner
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Moe Williams is our best back. yeah hes 31 this season but strap an oxygen tank to this back and he's good as new. he's still got to have some gas left in the tank, right? You can put all those other lame and stoned backs in trailer and ship them some where else.

DaunteHOF
04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Onterrio Smith is our best back!

TheAnimal93
04-06-2005, 12:26 AM
We might need all 3. And Flying Saucer!
Didnt MM need to start? S.O.D. is starting to mean Stoned Off Dope, so who knows if he is clean and might get popped again. Michael can gain some yards.
He was hitting 9yds a pop vs. GB in the Playoff game.
But Bennett has yet to prove that he can be the every down back but in the back of your mind there is that Robert Smith factor. Onterrio has yet to prove his claim, and MM has alot to prove.
All 3 of them should carry a chip on their shoulder.

I say whoever comes out blazing in training camp/preseason.
It will play itself out.

MNVikingGangsta
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I say get rid of bennet, he doesn't get any hard yards. The only season he was productive he would do nothing the whole game and then break a big run, thats not what we need. I love onterrio but you know he's blazen up right now so who knows how long before he gets suspended. which leaves us with MM, this guy is a good back, run and catch and seems to be a good guy also. I say trade MB and draft another RB in the 4th round. with our line any back can come in and gain yardage.

mark
04-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Im just really excited to see the new team weather we start bennett or smith if we get one in the draft or get williams,edwards or williamson or clayton its going to be fun to see what happens. it seems like a win-win to me

VIKE$4LIFE
04-06-2005, 01:01 AM
It is hard to tell whether Bennet or Onterrio is the better back because they are preety different. I'd give the edge to Onterrio but until he gets over the chronic he's not reliable. Although Bennet is also not very reliable with his injuries, but i say let Bennet start, if he gets injured put Onterrio in while working Mewelde into some situations (passing downs, like 3rd and long) and obviously using Moe for the 3rd down and short and goaline. But I say if we have problems again with Bennet trade him next season and if Onterrio can't control his problem then trade him also and let More try unless better running backs come up in the draft in 06.

vikes&hawks4life
04-06-2005, 01:45 AM
It's simple guys.

Bennett starts (give him one more chance to stay healthy; when he is healthy, he is our best back. Keep in mind the name Robert Smith)

Smith - backs up and can step in to take over the #1 spot if needed.

Moe - goal line and third down

Moore - third down and receiving back

I would like to see our OC find ways to get MM and bennett involved in the passing game. Last year we didnt use MM hands or Bennett's speed very well.

so-cal vike
04-06-2005, 02:30 AM
"vikes&hawks4life" wrote:

It's simple guys.

Bennett starts (give him one more chance to stay healthy; when he is healthy, he is our best back. Keep in mind the name Robert Smith)

Smith - backs up and can step in to take over the #1 spot if needed.

Moe - goal line and third down

Moore - third down and receiving back

I would like to see our OC find ways to get MM and bennett involved in the passing game. Last year we didnt use MM hands or Bennett's speed very well.

I'm in complete agreement except I think Tice should rotate Moore and Smith at backup. The reality is however, Bennett or Smith will be traded. Whoever produces starts, whoever doesn't is gone.

so-cal vike
04-06-2005, 02:33 AM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

i am really sick of bennett , "coach i should start , coach i need more playing time , " but most of all " coach my leg hurts!!" . start him in arizona , or nfl europe . i didn't see sh!t out of him last year! running scared

Where the he** did this come from. I've never heard Bennett being anything but supportive of the coaches decisions and of his teammates.

Give Bennett one more chance. If he fails or gets hurt...drop him.

alberta_vike
04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
The reality is however, Bennett or Smith will be traded. Whoever produces starts, whoever doesn't is gone.

I don't think that is the case. I think that Bennett, Smith, Moore, and Moe will all be Vikings this year. There was an article on here awhile ago in which Tice specifically said none of the Rb's are on the trading block.

Euphman06
04-07-2005, 01:30 AM
We give him one more chance and if he manages to get injured again, goodbye. If he is healthy i think he'll be great. Im just afraid that if we trade him, he'll have that one rock out season cuz he didnt get hurt and that would suck for us

michaelmazid
04-07-2005, 03:21 AM
no way man, they should start M. Moore. He is the youngest, the quickest and the best back we got. Look what he did to Houston when we played them

nareg
04-07-2005, 03:34 AM
they should n't start moore , and they should considder the offers they will get for bennett i think we should keep smith

Lotza
04-07-2005, 03:34 AM
i agree its Mewelde's turn. Bennet has been too ineffiecient and injury prone

V4L
04-07-2005, 03:40 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

no way man, they should start M. Moore. He is the youngest, the quickest and the best back we got. Look what he did to Houston when we played them


HAHA Moore the quickest?? not a chance.. he wasnt invited to the olympics like Bennett was.. Not saying bennett is better though.. Moore just isnt quicker

purplegang
04-07-2005, 03:41 AM
I say get rid of smith, and bennet, moore should be the starter also we should draft a back named clarret, i saw his workout tape the other day this guy looks and runs like a great back named campbell, he is built strong like a bull , vikes should pick him up with a late pick .

V4L
04-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Honestly i dont think we would get much for Bennett or O.. I think we give them 1 more year to see who is the better back.. Personally i think Bennett will win.. although i like Moore better.. he just isnt that aware and cant block very well.. Onterrio WILL get suspended within the next 2 years.. i think Bennett will stay healthy and win the job.. he is better at shedding tackles also i saw towards the end of the season

Burley81
04-07-2005, 03:44 AM
MM- Starter

Bennett-trade

Smith-trade

Moe-short yardage situations and 3rd down back

Burley81
04-07-2005, 03:45 AM
MM- Starter

Bennett-trade

Smith-trade

Moe-short yardage situations and 3rd down back

Barber, Clarett, or J.J. should be picked up in draft.

V4L
04-07-2005, 03:56 AM
dude we wont get shit for MB or O.. there is edge and shaun alexander on the block and all they want is a 2nd round.. Bennett would bring a 4th maybe and O a 5th i think because of his pot issues

VikemanX84
04-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Mike Bennett is our best back, with Moe a close second. The only problem with bennett is injuries. He didn't produce much last year when he was healthy but we didn't run much last year at all, Moss was hurt, and our offensive line was missing it's starting RT and Jimmy K (mega important to our running game).

Onterrio doesn't really fit into our new image. I mean we got rid of Moss for his antics and remember SOD was the 3rd round hold in training camp his rookie season. Now he gets with Pot and could eb goen for the year.

Bennett is one of the hardest working players on our team. His first injury happened while he was working out. He also a very team-first guy, and one heck of a role model. He also can take it the distance. yeah, your going to have to put up with a lot of 1 yard gains, 2 yard gains, and 3 yard gains. However, during his Pro-Bowl season he averaged 5 ypc. And keep in mind that was the way Barry Sanders was too and many other really good running backs.

All this talk about MM is really pretty funny and a good example of fan homering. He had 3 good games against bad defenses. Couldn't do anything against a good defense and hasn't stayed healthy for a full season yet either.

I think Bennett fits our new look. We stick with running the ball for 20-25 carries for our feature guy a game and Bennet can gain a lot of yards with 20 carries. Also, he is our most dangerous receiving threat. You all saw the game against the Packers. We are going to use our runningbacks as receivers more often this year too, I'd guess. Plus, he is a huge healp in the locker room, and a great role model for the young players and fans.

I don't think there is any question that Bennett should be our feature back. Besides Moe he is the only one to put together a full season or to rush for more than 600 yards in a full season. I want us to trade him if the Price is right just because we have so many good backs and Bennett is probably worth the most in a trade. However, if he is on our team at the start of the season and he is healthy, I'll bet he's the starter.

cajunvike
04-07-2005, 05:57 AM
"VikemanX84" wrote:

Mike Bennett is our best back, with Moe a close second. The only problem with bennett is injuries. He didn't produce much last year when he was healthy but we didn't run much last year at all, Moss was hurt, and our offensive line was missing it's starting RT and Jimmy K (mega important to our running game).

Onterrio doesn't really fit into our new image. I mean we got rid of Moss for his antics and remember SOD was the 3rd round hold in training camp his rookie season. Now he gets with Pot and could eb goen for the year.

Bennett is one of the hardest working players on our team. His first injury happened while he was working out. He also a very team-first guy, and one heck of a role model. He also can take it the distance. yeah, your going to have to put up with a lot of 1 yard gains, 2 yard gains, and 3 yard gains. However, during his Pro-Bowl season he averaged 5 ypc. And keep in mind that was the way Barry Sanders was too and many other really good running backs.

All this talk about MM is really pretty funny and a good example of fan homering. He had 3 good games against bad defenses. Couldn't do anything against a good defense and hasn't stayed healthy for a full season yet either.

I think Bennett fits our new look. We stick with running the ball for 20-25 carries for our feature guy a game and Bennet can gain a lot of yards with 20 carries. Also, he is our most dangerous receiving threat. You all saw the game against the Packers. We are going to use our runningbacks as receivers more often this year too, I'd guess. Plus, he is a huge healp in the locker room, and a great role model for the young players and fans.

I don't think there is any question that Bennett should be our feature back. Besides Moe he is the only one to put together a full season or to rush for more than 600 yards in a full season. I want us to trade him if the Price is right just because we have so many good backs and Bennett is probably worth the most in a trade. However, if he is on our team at the start of the season and he is healthy, I'll bet he's the starter.

Good post, VikemanX84!!!

magicci
04-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Bennett will start and i think most of you already know it if u like it or not and i dont care cuz i have faith in the guy

6-KINGS
04-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Wow what a problem to have!
4 good backs.All can start depending on what you want to do with the position.
Tice just needs to commit to a plan of what he wants and stick with it.
Running by committee can work but it can be very risky.
We need that consistant and reliable running game.
Sure will help ease that loss of Moss.

Articnv
04-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Some how i dont nwo why but whe i posted here it never shoudl up lol.

Any way my take

Who shoudlnt Start and why

Bennet - The only thing he has is spead. He has problems read the right hole. I havnt seen him make tacklers miss or break alot of tackles. His running is aloss streak. Loss loss bigain loss loss ext. Will be FA next season.

OSmith - Although i love his ability but woudll u start the guy thats one toke away from a year suspion. He would be a good backup and to spell people. If rember corectly hes a FA next season as well.

Moe - hes long in the tooth hsi specaility is short yard plays and goal line sitations. Keeps him helth and fresh,

This leads to who should start and why:

MM - From what i seen he has the best hands out of the RBS. He won rookie of the week honors. He can make people miss him and break tackles. This will give him the expercience we need when Smith and Bennett go FA. The only problem is he lacks blocking. but blockign can be coached.

If none of them woudl start it woudl be a RB we draft this year. As bennet smith are FAs and Moe is getting long in the tooth and we will need soem to spell and groom as shortyard specailist.

BigMoInAZ
04-09-2005, 06:40 PM
What I find truly amazing is how quickly so many of you want to dump Bennett, yet when compared to his predecessor, Robert Smith, and their first 4 years looked at, Bennett is on pace to surpass Smith' records. And for those that say Bennett is one dimensional and can't catch, I say look at the numbers! They speak for themeselves! Bennett is obviously the best RB on the team now and should be given every oppurtunity to prove himself. I think the team stands a better shot of succeeding with Bennett toting the ball. If he fails to remain healthy or doesn't produce, than losing him next year as an UFA shouldn't matter.

Robert Smith
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1993 | 10 | 82 399 4.9 2 | 24 111 4.6 0 |
| 1994 | 14 | 31 106 3.4 1 | 15 105 7.0 0 |
| 1995 | 9 | 139 632 4.5 5 | 7 35 5.0 0 |
| 1996 | 8 | 162 692 4.3 3 | 7 39 5.6 0 |
| TOTAL | 41 | 414 1829 4.4 11 | 53 290 5.5 0 |

Michael Bennett
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2001 | 13 | 172 682 4.0 2 | 29 226 7.8 1 |
| 2002 | 16 | 255 1296 5.1 5 | 37 351 9.5 1 |
| 2003 | 8 | 90 447 5.0 1 | 12 132 11.0 0 |
| 2004 | 11 | 70 276 3.9 1 | 21 207 9.9 1 |(Note, we all know he didn't play in 11 games last year!)
| TOTAL | 48 | 587 2701 4.6 9 | 99 916 9.3 3 |

mnjamie
04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
"BigMoInKS" wrote:

What I find truly amazing is how quickly so many of you want to dump Bennett, yet when compared to his predecessor, Robert Smith, and their first 4 years looked at, Bennett is on pace to surpass Smith' records. And for those that say Bennett is one dimensional and can't catch, I say look at the numbers! They speak for themeselves! Bennett is obviously the best RB on the team now and should be given every oppurtunity to prove himself. I think the team stands a better shot of succeeding with Bennett toting the ball. If he fails to remain healthy or doesn't produce, than losing him next year as an UFA shouldn't matter.

Robert Smith
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1993 | 10 | 82 399 4.9 2 | 24 111 4.6 0 |
| 1994 | 14 | 31 106 3.4 1 | 15 105 7.0 0 |
| 1995 | 9 | 139 632 4.5 5 | 7 35 5.0 0 |
| 1996 | 8 | 162 692 4.3 3 | 7 39 5.6 0 |
| TOTAL | 41 | 414 1829 4.4 11 | 53 290 5.5 0 |

Michael Bennett
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2001 | 13 | 172 682 4.0 2 | 29 226 7.8 1 |
| 2002 | 16 | 255 1296 5.1 5 | 37 351 9.5 1 |
| 2003 | 8 | 90 447 5.0 1 | 12 132 11.0 0 |
| 2004 | 11 | 70 276 3.9 1 | 21 207 9.9 1 |(Note, we all know he didn't play in 11 games last year!)
| TOTAL | 48 | 587 2701 4.6 9 | 99 916 9.3 3 |BigMoInKS ... great stats. None matter cause MB can't stay on the field. These "Sprinter" backs like these 2 are great but just cant handle the banging of a full 16 game regular season schedule. Then eventually they flame out, Bennett is done. I was hoping he would make it back full time last year, but now i'm done with him and The Vikes need to trade him before he has no value at all.