PDA

View Full Version : E.J. named backup

jiggyjack
03-20-2005, 05:03 PM
fanball is reporting because of the recent signing of Cowart that E.J. has been named the backup heading into training camp.

Tice was quoted as saying that E.J. has a lot of football to learn and needs to dedicate himself to being a much better football player...Tice also said he hopes he can return to being an elite special teams player.

I was hoping that Cowart would be a depth move but I guess E.J. needs to earn it back. I think his play was poor last year, but this has me a little concerned with Cowart's injuries in the past and his age.

midgensa
03-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't see how anyone would be surprised by this. Cowart is superior in leadership, tackling, coverage and knowledge of the system. E.J. definitely has some raw talent and is an extremely solid back up to turn to should Cowart go down.

muchluv4smoot
03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
"jiggyjack" wrote:

fanball is reporting because of the recent signing of Cowart that E.J. has been named the backup heading into training camp.

Tice was quoted as saying that E.J. has a lot of football to learn and needs to dedicate himself to being a much better football player...Tice also said he hopes he can return to being an elite special teams player.

I was hoping that Cowart would be a depth move but I guess E.J. needs to earn it back. I think his play was poor last year, but this has me a little concerned with Cowart's injuries in the past and his age.

EJ basically needs to learn, that he needs to work off the field too. He didn't study at all, and was unable to lead our D. That is why cowart was brought in to start. Cowart is still a d@mn good football player and will help our D out a lot. He is a guy that always hits the right gaps, something our LB's never seemed to do right last year.

dan3ski
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
EJ basically needs to learn, that he needs to work off the field too. He didn't study at all, and was unable to lead our D. That is why cowart was brought in to start. Cowart is still a d@mn good football player and will help our D out a lot. He is a guy that always hits the right gaps, something our LB's never seemed to do right last year

I gotta agree with this all to often last season the Viking LB's shot the wrong gaps.

PurpleRide
03-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Good, maybe sam will COVER someone

kramer9guy
03-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, not a surprise at all...I like E.J. but he does need to sharpen his skills. Maybe behind a seasoned vet for another year or two he can step it up.

ultravikingfan
03-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Good. At least he can now learn and be a quality back-up.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
"jiggyjack" wrote:

this is good. at this point EJ is not good enough to start. He's no Vilma that's for sure, who as a rookie played spectacular. maybe a season or two learning behind cowart, EJ will return more focused and be able to read plays better.

finnishvikingsfan
03-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I would like to see another seasoned vet on the roster to possibly help with DT.

cajunvike
03-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Just think...we now have one helluva backup at MLB...one who will be learning from a more experienced player ahead of him...when EJ is ready to start again, he will be awesome!

sitandbehitski
03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Or DJ, who I think is another one of 'dem 'der "rookie spectaculars", but hey, how 'bout Julian Peterson? He's the veteran WILL (or maybe he plays SAM, whatever) we need. :D :D

(If you didn't realize it, that was sarcasm.)

sabatajh
03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I think Cowert was a great pickup and im very comfortable moving EJ to a back up role. EJ has alot of upside and will turn into a Great MLB hes just not ready to be a starter for a couple years. Another great benifit of this move i think that is being overlooked is we solidified another key weakness ... another big problem was special teams last year. with the addition of cowert EJ can focus on being a special teams guru as well as offord with the sharper pick up this adds depth to special teams as well, and maybe opposing offenses wont be starting on the 35-40 yard line every drive. now if we could just get a kicker we might be on to somethin

RK.
03-21-2005, 01:15 PM
All of our linebackers were backups last year. They were horrible. I am not surprised to see EJ in a back up role. This is why we got guys like Cowert and Harris.

Primetime42
03-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Woah.

I like the signing, as it provides you guys with some depth and veteran leadership, but I gotta be honest with you when I say I wouldn't want Sam Cowhart in that position on my team.

Obviously, you want the younger guy to play, especially if he's as talented as EJ Henderson.

Cowhart's already exhibited that he doesn't want to be a second tier guy. I was under the impression that he was going to be moved to the outside here.

Can someone explain what EJ has or hasn't done?

sitandbehitski
03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
He hasn't pulled his head out of his @$$ for one. . . .

Actually he's decent against the run but his coverage blows, way too many mental mistakes, both he and DT got burned by Play Action last year.

NordicNed
03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
This is how you begin to groom a future leader, by learning from a Vet., and then filling those shoes when your time comes...

I just hope EJ is Mature enough to understand this. I really hope he doesn't let his emotions get to him in a negative way..

I'de hate to see EJ go out and get drunk and beat the snot out of some inocent person..

I do have a good feeling this will work out for the best in the long run..