PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worried about cohesion?

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Is anybody else a little nervous about all these new guys coming in and not getting along or figuring out the system or working together well as a unit? I know it shouldn't be a concern because these are professional athletes, but it's just something I've been thinking about. Let me know if you agree or disagree!

finnishvikingsfan
03-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I am a little worried about the start of the season and preseason when they are first really getting use to each other but I really think they should be fine later in the year.

vikes09
03-20-2005, 03:37 PM
theyll get something going in the preseason. hopefully theyll get the incintive to do it themselves. as time wears on theyll get better.

magicci
03-20-2005, 03:39 PM
i think they will have that feeling of all knowing what they were brought here to do and that would bring them closer together

vikeU2
03-20-2005, 03:40 PM
It is always something to be concerned about...all these new faces, but the fact is Randy is gone and he did a lot to cause less cohesion with the Vikings...it'll be much better this year!

fourdoorchevelle
03-20-2005, 03:54 PM
i don't think there will be much of a problem . some of the new guys are cottrell guys ( pat will , cowart ) , not to mention some of the others were too (aw)

dan3ski
03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
In this age of free agency it is something we have to put up with. The teams players do not matter as much as the system. This has been the case for over twenty years now. Point in case we will see what happens in N.E. with both co-ordinaters gone this year.

midgensa
03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Is anybody else a little nervous about all these new guys coming in and not getting along or figuring out the system or working together well as a unit? I know it shouldn't be a concern because these are professional athletes, but it's just something I've been thinking about. Let me know if you agree or disagree!

Of course it is a thought, that is why I think we have to wait and see if we are Super Bowl contenders. But I do think it is much easier on the defensive side of ball to become cohesive due to so much being based on reaction. On offense, WR and QBs have to be on the same page, RBs and OL, etc. Sure you need to be on the same page on D, but it is a little easier to get used to everyone and play within yourself I think.

iluvbigtds
03-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Its definetely a plus that Sam and PWill have played with Ted before. Also, we're moving Nap to his best position. It's always an issue, but every team has to go through it.

Ltrey33
03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
yeah, I'm worried they wont learn how to suck together like the Vikes defense has done recently!

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
LOL!! Good point!

collegeguyjeff
03-20-2005, 04:39 PM
yeah right the coaching staff knows what they are doing. i think our defense will be real mean and aggressive.

i can't wait till we draft a running back and right defensive end in the draft.

collegeguyjeff
03-20-2005, 04:41 PM
"dan3ski" wrote:

In this age of free agency it is something we have to put up with. The teams players do not matter as much as the system. This has been the case for over twenty years now. Point in case we will see what happens in N.E. with both co-ordinaters gone this year.

new england lost both their guys that coached that team, people will find out this year that bellicheck isnt' that good of a coach, mark my words.

ultravikingfan
03-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I am not too worried. I think that the players will realize the offseason moves and be really pumped to play together with other such fine players. Plus, the fact that we have 2 first round picks should really motivate them to play as a team.

LosAngelis
03-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I think it takes a while to gel.

Many of you guys were saying how with Udeze and Winfield that you were going to be unstoppable...its just takes a year or two to get it together. Look at the Redskins. They add guys every season, then cut them when they don't get it all together immediately.

2005 I think you guys will have some success, but it will be 2006 when the investment will come due.

waynesworld
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Something tells me this unit will rise to the top!

vikingsdiva
03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe I am alone in this, but I like Cottrell. I think he has a good eye for talent.I think he has helped to hand pick guys that would complement our team rather than"build" our team as everyones claiming. But it will take awhile to work through the rough parts. It's just like every person's job:there is always someone who doesn't get along. The key is working with it to overcome it. Is this our superbowl year? I don't know. But if we draft play and follow through the way we did with free agency we are that much closer to it...

fourdoorchevelle
03-20-2005, 06:19 PM
6 new starters on d fence will take some gelling . but with the new names it hard to not imagining the defence being much better. atleast top 15 , i believe that atleast 3 are cottrell guys including winfield

vikingsdiva
03-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Good point.

ultravikingfan
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
I think Cotrell and Tice have to put their foot down and set the groundrules as soon as Training Camp starts. No BS!

vikingsdiva
03-20-2005, 07:50 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I think Cotrell and Tice have to put their foot down and set the groundrules as soon as Training Camp starts. No BS!
Yep and keep the personal issues off the field and out of the locker room!!

Angryviking
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Even tho Moss didnt play D. I still say that this team's mindset will completely be different, even tho Moss was great he was a distraction all the time even when we'd win he'd do something to grab the lime light, i'll admit it was funny and i enjoyed the years with him. But I say the team's chemistry will be better off. and yeah it'll take some time to gel but not the entire season

snowinapril
03-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I worry some. I have been saying this in my posts for some time. It would have made more sense to put some of these guys on the team last year instead of doing it all this season.

With that said, bring it on. I just want to see some good football. I want to see some guys out there playing as a team and not worrying so much. Relax and play some ball.

I still expect that we make the playoffs and win atlesast one game. Anything on top of that is a bonus. Anything less is proof that we needed one more year of gelling.

vikings_fan66
03-20-2005, 11:30 PM
I dont think it can get much worse than the last few seasons

michaelmazid
03-20-2005, 11:37 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I am. I actually made a post about this a while ago called "too much talent". Our defense needs to play every game from start to finish in the preseason. Afterall, there is such a thing as too much talent. On a bright side, Ted Cottrell is getting alot of his old guys so it wont be new to them.

ultravikingfan
03-20-2005, 11:45 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

I dont think it can get much worse than the last few seasons

Thats why it can only get better! :thumbright:

DefensivePlaymaker
03-21-2005, 12:32 AM
"collegeguyjeff" wrote:

yeah right the coaching staff knows what they are doing. i think our defense will be real mean and aggressive.

i can't wait till we draft a running back and right defensive end in the draft.

Udeze is our RE. Why would we want to replace him? And why would we need another running back? Isn't 4 enough??

chennegar
03-21-2005, 06:41 AM
I was wondering the exact same thing. Why in the world do we need Another running back?

sitandbehitski
03-21-2005, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't mind one of those top three running backs, but only if we trade at least one (and preferebly two) of our current backs, and Udeze can play either DE position.

cajunvike
03-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I, for one, am not too worried...at worst, we still will be better than we were last year on Defense...by the end of the season, we will COHERE (verb form of cohesive, for all you grammar buffs)...the late-season slumps will be in our rear-view mirror...hello, playoffs!!!

sabatajh
03-21-2005, 11:15 AM
2 of our key defensive guys (willaims and cowert) that we picked up alreasy played for catrell. Sharpers from the nfc north and smoot you dont have to worry about. i think they should all gel well together as long as we dont go scheme crazy and try switchen everything up my biggest ? has to be harris and sharper if they can adjust well we'll be top 10 D

vikingsdiva
03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I, for one, am not too worried...at worst, we still will be better than we were last year on Defense...by the end of the season, we will COHERE (verb form of cohesive, for all you grammar buffs)...the late-season slumps will be in our rear-view mirror...hello, playoffs!!!
So maybe this year instead of a midseason slump, it'll be about the time we excel?
And cajun are you like a major grammar nerd?LOL
:wav:

JimFlyinsaucer
03-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I think what they're hoping for is the same thing that happened to Bills in '03. They also signed at least two new starting linebackers and a safety, and they've kicked ass on defense ever since. What they didn't have was the right offense to compliment them (translation: Drew Bledsoe screwed them over). BUT, when you look at the Bills of late last year, they started focusing on the power running game, and they dominated! I think that's our battle plan for the future.

VKG4LFE
03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
That would be great flyinsaucer!! I can't wait to see a great D for the vikes!! We have the pieces, now they just have to work together!!

cajunvike
03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
"vikingsdiva" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

So maybe this year instead of a midseason slump, it'll be about the time we excel?
And cajun are you like a major grammar nerd?LOL
:wav:

Not hardly...just taking a dig at the people who always try to catch others in simple mistakes...I do pride myself on corrrect spelling and grammar, but only because I think that when I post, I should make sure that my message is properly understood...otherwise, what's the use in posting if no one understands what you are trying to say...if you know what I mean! :lol:

OR it could just be the lawyer in me! :lol: :lol: