BleedGoldnPurple
03-20-2005, 02:53 PM
How much is left in the salary cap

collegeguyjeff
03-20-2005, 02:59 PM
don't know but next year we will probably have 20 mil or more again

dan3ski
03-20-2005, 04:09 PM
You must leave money in the cap remember the draft is comming and the Vikings will have 2 first round picks and that costs money. I think the Vikings will need about 15 million to cover the draft.

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 04:10 PM
15 million to cover the draft! My gosh!

midgensa
03-20-2005, 04:14 PM
"dan3ski" wrote:

You must leave money in the cap remember the draft is comming and the Vikings will have 2 first round picks and that costs money. I think the Vikings will need about 15 million to cover the draft.

15 million is probably a little steep for the draft. Players taken on day two are often minimum guys and with the signing bonus their cap hit is very minimal. I can't imagine spending more than 7-10 million in cap money on day one. Remember those First rounders get signing bonuses to keep the cap hits on the low.

muchluv4smoot
03-20-2005, 04:20 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"dan3ski" wrote:

15 million is probably a little steep for the draft. Players taken on day two are often minimum guys and with the signing bonus their cap hit is very minimal. I can't imagine spending more than 7-10 million in cap money on day one. Remember those First rounders get signing bonuses to keep the cap hits on the low.

I thought there was a seperate rookie cap? That is why there are so many teams that are right at the cap right now, yet they can still sign there picks. I think each team gets a set cap for their rookies, based on where they pick in the draft and how many picks they have.

muchluv4smoot
03-20-2005, 04:30 PM
OK, I am wrong. There is a rookie salary pool, but it still counts towards the actual cap. There is a set limit, that each team can spend on their rookies.

Last year, the chargers, who had the #1 pick, had a little over #6 million to spend on drafted players and undrafted rookies.

Assuming we have 2 1sts, we will probably be near that, somewhere near $7-8 million this year. We don't have to spend all that on our rookies, but that is the limit.

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Well you can count on the vikes NOT spending the limit!

dan3ski
03-20-2005, 04:36 PM
What i am saying is to leave that much room so the Vikings can pay the rookies and have room for next year as well. This is a team that is in a major rebuilding mode other the GB I do not see a team with so many holes that must be addressed. O-line, D-line, special teams, recievers. I will admit we look better at the DB positions than we have in a while but depth will still be a problem.